PDA

View Full Version : For those who aren't fans of OAD recruiting

scottdude8
04-22-2019, 04:22 PM
Given the recent additions of Hurt and Stanley to the 2019 recruiting class, I thought it is worth noting that, at this moment, only Vernon Carey is widely projected as a OAD (https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft). Obviously NBADraft.net isn't the be all and end all, but I would imagine this means at bare minimum that guys like Moore, Elllis, Hurt and Stanley aren't explicitly planning on spending a single year in Durham. If they do, that's all right, and it likely meant that they blew up (which can only mean good things for our 2020 outlook). But this is the first year in recent memory that there is a strong possibility a majority of our top-ranked recruiting class returns to campus as sophomores.

So for those who like to complain about recruiting OADs, keep that in mind during the long offseason ;)

Troublemaker
04-22-2019, 04:32 PM
Given the recent additions of Hurt and Stanley to the 2019 recruiting class, I thought it is worth noting that, at this moment, only Vernon Carey is widely projected as a OAD (https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft). Obviously NBADraft.net isn't the be all and end all, but I would imagine this means at bare minimum that guys like Moore, Elllis, Hurt and Stanley aren't explicitly planning on spending a single year in Durham. If they do, that's all right, and it likely meant that they blew up (which can only mean good things for our 2020 outlook). But this is the first year in recent memory that there is a strong possibility a majority of our top-ranked recruiting class returns to campus as sophomores.

So for those who like to complain about recruiting OADs, keep that in mind during the long offseason ;)

Hurt and Moore definitely are planning to be OAD. (If you're wondering about Moore, Coach K himself pitched to him that he could be OAD at Duke.) Ellis and Stanley probably want to be, too, but playing time might become a factor. Let's face it. Most top-30 or so kids think they could be OAD. In the end, I expect to see a sophomore year from only one of the 4 you listed -- either Boogie or Cassius.

scottdude8
04-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Hurt and Moore definitely are planning to be OAD. (If you're wondering about Moore, Coach K himself pitched to him that he could be OAD at Duke.) Ellis and Stanley probably want to be, too, but playing time might become a factor. Let's face it. Most top-30 or so kids think they could be OAD. In the end, I expect to see a sophomore year from only one of the 4 you listed -- either Boogie or Cassius.

Interesting perspective Troublemaker, thanks! It'll certainly be interesting to see how this develops. From everything I've read, Moore projects (at least initially) to be more of a factor on the defensive end than on the offensive end, which makes it harder to stand out from a OAD perspective (but I agree he's the most likely after Carey). Hurt, meanwhile, will need to put on some muscle for the NBA. Ellis and Stanley don't have a path to guaranteed minutes with three upperclassmen to compete with. Now in no way am I saying they won't or can't be OAD... but at the very least, I'd think come Fall 2020 we'll have more minutes and likely scoring returning than we have in the recent past. But again, if I'm proven wrong that means things ended up going quite well for these guys, and likely the team, this upcoming year, so I'd gladly be wrong!

DavidBenAkiva
04-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Interesting perspective Troublemaker, thanks! It'll certainly be interesting to see how this develops. From everything I've read, Moore projects (at least initially) to be more of a factor on the defensive end than on the offensive end, which makes it harder to stand out from a OAD perspective (but I agree he's the most likely after Carey). Hurt, meanwhile, will need to put on some muscle for the NBA. Ellis and Stanley don't have a path to guaranteed minutes with three upperclassmen to compete with. Now in no way am I saying they won't or can't be OAD... but at the very least, I'd think come Fall 2020 we'll have more minutes and likely scoring returning than we have in the recent past. But again, if I'm proven wrong that means things ended up going quite well for these guys, and likely the team, this upcoming year, so I'd gladly be wrong!

FWIW, ESPN updated their 2020 mock draft (https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/22/james-wiseman-anthony-edwards-cole-anthony-projected-1-2-3-picks-in-2020-nba-draft/) after taking in the high school all-star circuit and Nike Hoops Summit. They have 4 Duke players projected as first-round players:

12 - Matthew Hurt
15 - Tre Jones
17 - Wendell Moore
22 - Vernon Carey, Jr.

scottdude8
04-22-2019, 05:03 PM
FWIW, ESPN updated their 2020 mock draft (https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/22/james-wiseman-anthony-edwards-cole-anthony-projected-1-2-3-picks-in-2020-nba-draft/) after taking in the high school all-star circuit and Nike Hoops Summit. They have 4 Duke players projected as first-round players:

12 - Matthew Hurt
15 - Tre Jones
17 - Wendell Moore
22 - Vernon Carey, Jr.

Wow, they've certainly soured on Carey! I thought it was interesting that NBADraft.net had dropped him from the top 3 as well, but that's pretty precipitous.

ikiru36
04-22-2019, 05:07 PM

12 - Matthew Hurt
15 - Tre Jones
17 - Wendell Moore
22 - Vernon Carey, Jr.

Just to note, I believe that Carey was injured in a HS game shortly before the McDs game (which he would've started in), and since then he has simply not played in the other All-Star games due to the injury. I think it is not considered a major injury (some form of ankle sprain), but a bummer for him (and me/us!) not to play in all these scouted/televised games against top-competition. Seems weird that they would downgrade him so far based on missing these few games due to non-serious injury?

Anyways, just noting that most would still have him listed top-10 in next year's draft, unless this injury is worse than I believe it is. That said, the main knock on him is stamina, and concern about controlling his weight, so I really hope that he is healthy and ready to get into top physical condition over the summer and fall. I can't wait to see him (and all the other incoming players) lace them up for Duke!

sagegrouse
04-22-2019, 05:14 PM
That said, the main knock on him [Vernon Carey] is stamina, and concern about controlling his weight, so I really hope that he is healthy and ready to get into top physical condition over the summer and fall. I can't wait to see him (and all the other incoming players) lace them up for Duke!

Aha! So,... the case for more minutes for Javin and Marques is firming up. Vernon sounds like a guy who will play 20-25 minutes. (Of course, it would probably help -- or hurt -- my opinion if I actually could see him play a regular game.)

Edouble
04-22-2019, 05:16 PM

But has any kid ever returned to school to put on muscle?

Muscle is way overrated. Strength, balance, core stability are all more important. In addition, weight, as a number, does not always correlate with the ability to, say, lift weights.

scottdude8
04-22-2019, 05:30 PM
Aha! So,... the case for more minutes for Javin and Marques is firming up. Vernon sounds like a guy who will play 20-25 minutes. (Of course, it would probably help -- or hurt -- my opinion if I actually could see him play a regular game.)

That's one of the reasons I think both may return. The other is, even if Carey wasn't going to be playing limited minutes from an endurance standpoint, it's clear that Javin and Marques bring different skillsets than Carey and Hurt. The ability to mix and match those four up front depending on the matchup (do we need more rebounding? Carey and Javin. Scoring? Carey and Hurt. Defense? Probably Marques and Javin. Etc, etc...), not to mention depth up front we haven't had since Zoubek and Lance were backed up by the Plumlee Bros, is tantalizing. I really hope it comes to pass.

dukelifer
04-22-2019, 05:58 PM
That's one of the reasons I think both may return. The other is, even if Carey wasn't going to be playing limited minutes from an endurance standpoint, it's clear that Javin and Marques bring different skillsets than Carey and Hurt. The ability to mix and match those four up front depending on the matchup (do we need more rebounding? Carey and Javin. Scoring? Carey and Hurt. Defense? Probably Marques and Javin. Etc, etc...), not to mention depth up front we haven't had since Zoubek and Lance were backed up by the Plumlee Bros, is tantalizing. I really hope it comes to pass.

At the moment- no Javin and no Bolden to mix and match with. A lot will depend on how they fare in the draft process. Duke may be very small next year when Carey goes out.

UrinalCake
04-22-2019, 07:24 PM
Moore said in a recent interview that he hopes to be a OAD. But he also sounded (to me) like he knew realistically that it wasn’t a guarantee I’d put him and Hurt as 50/50 right now but obviously there’s a lot of time until that decision will be made.

Overall I like the direction we’re going by bringing in more next-level guys. I’m not against the wholesale OAD’s like some fans are, but wouldn’t mind having some guys who will stay a couple years either.