PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Cassius Stanley!

FerryFor50
04-22-2019, 03:50 PM
Just announced via Periscope...

chrishoke
04-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Sweet.

Ky-Dukie
04-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Welcome Cassius , going to be a lot of fun to watch.

GoDuke2015
04-22-2019, 03:52 PM
Welcome Cassius , going to be a lot of fun to watch.

YES! Welcome!!

GoDuke!

NSDukeFan
04-22-2019, 03:53 PM
Yay! Great news!

Hartford Dukie
04-22-2019, 03:55 PM
Welcome, Cassius!!

Announcement video

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwkfL8HAGhy/

Troublemaker
04-22-2019, 03:56 PM
Nice, someone already taught him the Bull City hand signal.

thedukelamere
04-22-2019, 03:57 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TeemingHealthyAmericanrobin-size_restricted.gif

Hey Zeus
04-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Does this nail down the #1 recruiting class for '19?

CDu
04-22-2019, 03:58 PM

Hurt had already secured that honor. This just adds to it.

Great get. Stanley should be a fun player to watch.

ChillinDuke
04-22-2019, 03:59 PM
Excellent news! Very glad to have you, Cassius.

- Chillin

Reddevil
04-22-2019, 03:59 PM

I would think adding Hurt and Stanley sealed it.

Dukehky
04-22-2019, 04:05 PM
I would think adding Hurt and Stanley sealed it.

Someone pointed out in another thread that if Memphis gets everyone else they want, and add RJ Hampton from 2020 class, they might top us. But not sure and I don't think all those things will happen.

Dukehk
04-22-2019, 04:05 PM
Welcome to Duke Cassius Stanley!!!

miramar
04-22-2019, 04:06 PM
I just hope that when he goes out he can say, "I am the greatest!"

Welcome to the brotherhood, Cassius. Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee and you will do just fine.

J4Kop99
04-22-2019, 04:08 PM
Very exciting news for Cassius and Duke! Cassius seems like he will be a lot of fun to watch. One thing is already clear, the guy can jump through the roof.

Fish80
04-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Very exciting news for Cassius and Duke! Cassius seems like he will be a lot of fun to watch. One thing is already clear, the guy can jump through the roof.

Is the ceiling the roof?

weezie
04-22-2019, 04:12 PM
Well, yay!

Can Coach come up with another foreign country for the team to play in in August? I need a destination.

scottdude8
04-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Man, the competition for minutes this year is going to be FIERCE! O'Connell, Baker, White, Goldwire, Moore, and Stanley all will be competing for time on the wings. Coach K arguably has more unique pieces to play with than any year in recent memory, especially if either/both of Javin and Marques return up front. This team and recruiting class obviously won't be as talented as last year's but there's the potential for it to make a more cohesive "team" with different players filling different roles. I mean, I can think of half a dozen viable starting lineups off the top of my head, and each of them could be used against different matchups in different situations. I'm psyched.

MCFinARL
04-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Welcome, Cassius!!

Announcement video

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwkfL8HAGhy/

I like it. The kid has some swag. Love the deadpan on "I will be joining the brotherhood. Go Duke."

ikiru36
04-22-2019, 04:15 PM
Hurt had already secured that honor. This just adds to it.

Great get. Stanley should be a fun player to watch.

Fair to say, #1 overall at the moment. The one who could still vault us (not that it really matters) is Memphis if RJ Hampton were to re-classify and go there, along with Precious Achiuwa. But we've got a nicely balanced, talented, and deep class including a top 5 C/PF, a top 10 PF/SF, a top 20 (and still rising) 2-way SF/SG, a top 40 (still rising) great shooting SG/PG, and now an extremely athletic top 35 (rising too!) SG. Plus Joey Baker, who would've been a likely top-15 in this class. My biggest concern is that we get our top guy, Carey, healthy and in shape for the season. But wow are we fortunate as fans.

(Not to make light of what I'm sure he really meant, but) imagine who we could've landed with Capel still leading our recruiting! ;0)

MChambers
04-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Fair to say, #1 overall at the moment. The one who could still vault us (not that it really matters) is Memphis if RJ Hampton were to re-classify and go there, along with Precious Achiuwa. But we've got a nicely balanced, talented, and deep class including a top 5 C/PF, a top 10 PF/SF, a top 20 (and still rising) 2-way SF/SG, a top 40 (still rising) great shooting SG/PG, and now an extremely athletic top 35 (rising too!) SG. Plus Joey Baker, who would've been a likely top-15 in this class. My biggest concern is that we get our top guy, Carey, healthy and in shape for the season. But wow are we fortunate as fans.

(Not to make light of what I'm sure he really meant, but) imagine who we could've landed with Capel still leading our recruiting! ;0)

If Capel were here, Zion would have returned for his sophomore season!

JetpackJesus
04-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Well, yay!

Can Coach come up with another foreign country for the team to play in in August? I need a destination.

Schools are allowed to participate in foreign tours only once every 4 years, I believe. On the bright side, that gives you have more time to save up for your next destination!

Billy Dat
04-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Welcome to Duke, Mr. Stanley. There's nothing like a Stanley Smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vob9SmnfcWc

moonpie23
04-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Bring it, young man!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ

Kedsy
04-22-2019, 04:44 PM
But we've got a nicely balanced, talented, and deep class including a top 5 C/PF, a top 10 PF/SF, a top 20 (and still rising) 2-way SF/SG, a top 40 (still rising) great shooting SG/PG, and now an extremely athletic top 35 (rising too!) SG.

FWIW, in the estimation of ESPN, four of our five recruits have dropped over the last year. I know this by looking at ESPN's rank as memorialized by the Summer RSCI (tallied about 10 or 11 months ago) and the brand new ESPN rankings (that I believe came out today). Here are our five recruits with their last year ESPN ranking vs. today ESPN ranking:

Vernon Carey: was #3; now #5

Matthew Hurt: was #6; now #10

Wendell Moore: was #18; now #21

Cassius Stanley: was #25; now #29

Boogie Ellis: was #40; now #36

Not that it matters much, and it's only one of several rankings that make up the RSCI, but since you brought up the subject, most of our guys are falling, not rising.

flyingdutchdevil
04-22-2019, 04:53 PM
FWIW, in the estimation of ESPN, four of our five recruits have dropped over the last year. I know this by looking at ESPN's rank as memorialized by the Summer RSCI (tallied about 10 or 11 months ago) and the brand new ESPN rankings (that I believe came out today). Here are our five recruits with their last year ESPN ranking vs. today ESPN ranking:

Not that it matters much, and it's only one of several rankings that make up the RSCI, but since you brought up the subject, most of our guys are falling, not rising.

Does this mean they aren't going to be OADs?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!

Jokes aside, this class looks really fun. I have no idea on their minutes, but I do know Tre Jones will have as many minutes as he can handle. And the 2/3 will be a fierce competition between AOC, Goldwire, Stanley, Moore, and Ellis. And despite having 10+ players that COULD be part of the rotation (Carey, Hurt, Moore, Stanley, Ellis, Jones, Goldwire, DeLaurier, Bolden, White), only 7 will play come Feb/March. Coach K said he needs to play more folks who are ready. Welp, this is the year to do that with talented, young talent mixed with extremely experienced upperclassmen.

Kedsy
04-22-2019, 05:14 PM
And despite having 10+ players that COULD be part of the rotation (Carey, Hurt, Moore, Stanley, Ellis, Jones, Goldwire, DeLaurier, Bolden, White)...

I'm not sure why you'd rank Ellis, Goldwire, or even Stanley ahead of O'Connell and Baker. Leaving those two out of your list seems pretty odd.

du_bb1
04-22-2019, 05:19 PM
Is it just me or does Cassius look like Dre ??

proelitedota
04-22-2019, 05:24 PM

Trajan Langdon. Uncanny.

ikiru36
04-22-2019, 05:24 PM

Hi Kedsy,

Fair enough. It would probably be better stated that those 3 were relatively late bloomers in the rankings, I think, who have risen up many rankings over the past 2 years. I do think that ESPNs updates are largely based off the recent All-Star games in which Carey did not take part. And Moore has played significant minutes in each of those games leading me to think that the coaches consider him to be well inside the Top 20. Really, it will be much more interesting and meaningful to see where they are come the mid-summer updated RSCI ratings. Or moreso, come next Fall!

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Welcome to the brotherhood, Cassius! Great choice young man. We’re thrilled to have you.

UrinalCake
04-22-2019, 05:30 PM
FWIW, in the estimation of ESPN, four of our five recruits have dropped over the last year. I know this by looking at ESPN's rank as memorialized by the Summer RSCI (tallied about 10 or 11 months ago) and the brand new ESPN rankings (that I believe came out today).

If you’re comparing last summer’s RSCI with this year’s ESPN ranking, then that’s not really an equal comparison. But overall I think our guys haven’t really excelled in the All-Star games (Carey has been hurt, to be fair) while other guys have stood out and therefore moved up in the rankings. Last summer Nassir Little shot up based on his summer play, ahead of Zion and Cam, and we see how much that mattered.

I’m fine with them dropping a bit though, when players come in as top-10 or top-20 players then there are also expectations that come with it and the presumption that they have failed if they don’t go OAD. A couple years ago I heard a coach from another school say the worst thing that ever happened to him were these preseason player rankings. If a guy was ranked #15 and then halfway through the season fell to #20 on the mock draft boards, his parents would call the coach and ask what was wrong.

BD80
04-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Well, yay!

But last year they went to Canada! That's not a foreign country !?! Hell, there are LOTS of places inside the continental 48 states that are more foreign than Toronto!

Trajan Langdon. Uncanny.

Must be a Roman Emperor thing.

Welcome Cassius! I hope we get a battle of the Cassiuses in the next Championship game, with our Cassius getting us some payback for our loss this year.

Kedsy
04-22-2019, 05:41 PM
If you’re comparing last summer’s RSCI with this year’s ESPN ranking, then that’s not really an equal comparison.

I was comparing last year's ESPN (as listed in the detail of the Summer RSCI (https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/summer-2019) -- see the second ranking column) vs. this year's ESPN. It's definitely apples-to-apples.

BD80
04-22-2019, 05:43 PM
I was comparing last year's ESPN (as listed in the detail of the Summer RSCI (https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/summer-2019) -- see the second ranking column) vs. this year's ESPN. It's definitely apples-to-apples.

But we want players with ONIONS!

Kedsy
04-22-2019, 05:48 PM
But we want players with ONIONS!

Blindfold yourself and hold your nose and they say you can't tell the difference.

flyingdutchdevil
04-22-2019, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure why you'd rank Ellis, Goldwire, or even Stanley ahead of O'Connell and Baker. Leaving those two out of your list seems pretty odd.

Hahahaha. Oversight on my end. They should absolutely be included.

Like I said, a lot of potential depth, but Coach K isn't likely to use it.

Kedsy
04-22-2019, 06:18 PM
Like I said, a lot of potential depth, but Coach K isn't likely to use it.

I agree, on both counts. It's a shame. We could be like Florida State, but with an offense.

proelitedota
04-22-2019, 06:28 PM
I agree, on both counts. It's a shame. We could be like Florida State, but with an offense.

You mean the Florida State that we swept this year and went further in the NCAAs than?

Kedsy
04-22-2019, 06:39 PM
You mean the Florida State that we swept this year and went further in the NCAAs than?

It was a joke.

But even if it wasn't, if FSU had a Duke-quality offense, that would have been an interesting team.

Nugget
04-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Hi Kedsy,

Fair enough. It would probably be better stated that those 3 were relatively late bloomers in the rankings, I think, who have risen up many rankings over the past 2 years. I do think that ESPNs updates are largely based off the recent All-Star games in which Carey did not take part. And Moore has played significant minutes in each of those games leading me to think that the coaches consider him to be well inside the Top 20. Really, it will be much more interesting and meaningful to see where they are come the mid-summer updated RSCI ratings. Or moreso, come next Fall!

Cassius Stanley isn't a "later bloomer in the rankings." He was an early bloomer -- in the Top 10 of the class in their very early Freshman/Soph. year rankings, partly because he is old for his class, so his physical skills appeared to be relatively stronger to others in the class before the others grew up.

Devilwin
04-22-2019, 07:14 PM
You did great. Welcome to the Brotherhood..

ncexnyc
04-22-2019, 07:29 PM
And to think just a few short weeks ago many felt as if their world was coming to an end.

Chicken Little
04-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Just curious, does anyone know how he's a high school senior but two months older than AOC? I haven't seen it discussed anywhere yet.

ikiru36
04-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Cassius Stanley isn't a "later bloomer in the rankings." He was an early bloomer -- in the Top 10 of the class in their very early Freshman/Soph. year rankings, partly because he is old for his class, so his physical skills appeared to be relatively stronger to others in the class before the others grew up.

I expect you are right and thanks for the correction. I definitely know the least about Stanley as we got involved so late. I do know that he's old for the class but didn't realize that he'd been Top 10 much earlier in the recruiting cycle. Really, that makes it all the more impressive that Duke was able to jump in so relatively late and land him. Do you know if Duke had formed a relationship with him earlier that they just rekindled recently?
In any case, glad to have the old fella join next year's group of more precocious, quite talented student-athletes!

OZZIE4DUKE
04-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Welcome Cassius! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif LGD GTHc!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

devilish
04-23-2019, 06:47 AM
But last year they went to Canada! That's not a foreign country !?! Hell, there are LOTS of places inside the continental 48 states that are more foreign than Toronto!

Chapel Hill?

Troublemaker
04-23-2019, 07:15 AM
I expect you are right and thanks for the correction. I definitely know the least about Stanley as we got involved so late. I do know that he's old for the class but didn't realize that he'd been Top 10 much earlier in the recruiting cycle. Really, that makes it all the more impressive that Duke was able to jump in so relatively late and land him. Do you know if Duke had formed a relationship with him earlier that they just rekindled recently?
In any case, glad to have the old fella join next year's group of more precocious, quite talented student-athletes!

Nope. At SG, it was all about Bryan Antoine for us. As is typical for Duke, we hone in early on a recruit, and sometimes, it's even part of our pitch that we're not recruiting anyone else at their position.

We only recently contacted Stanley. We just have Deion Sanders-like closing speed in recruitments.

Bluedevil114
04-23-2019, 07:34 AM
Welcome to the Brotherhood Cassius. This is going to be a fun season. Coach K has so many options. Lineup changes we constantly change. Early on he could use line changes like hockey.

roywhite
04-23-2019, 09:09 AM

No inside info, but I'm guessing that the fact that Stanley attends the same high school as Marvin Bagley did was a plus in getting up to speed in a hurry. Coach K had some familiarity with the staff there, and the staff plus Bagley no doubt had good things to say about Duke and Coach K.

It is amazing that Duke can step in late and snatch a talented kid. It must drive opposing coaches nuts.

roywhite
04-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Welcome to the Brotherhood Cassius. This is going to be a fun season. Coach K has so many options. Lineup changes we constantly change. Early on he could use line changes like hockey.

Yes. Just think about defense -- we know Tre and Goldwire are excellent defenders; now add athletic perimeter players like Ellis, Moore, and Stanley. Should be able to pressure the ball really well and go full-court at times.

revmel53
04-23-2019, 09:14 AM
It truly is amazing that we can get in late, and still communicate to players that we are interested, have been interested, and will have a place for them. I like this kid (albeit 20 year old kid.) He seems to play with passion and courage, and to have a chip on his shoulder. Welcome Cassius! We need ya.

cspan37421
04-23-2019, 09:33 AM

Toronto, the well-loved midwestern city, according to Wilbon. Just north of Detroit.
- 4/22/19 TK show.

BD80
04-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Toronto, the well-loved midwestern city, according to Wilbon. Just north of Detroit.
- 4/22/19 TK show.

There had been talk of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan annexing Ontario, it actually received 100% of the popular vote, but only 311 of the 742 registered adults in the UP voted. In a somewhat controversial move, moose were not allowed to vote for the first time in decades.

MChambers
04-23-2019, 10:06 AM
There had been talk of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan annexing Ontario, it actually received 100% of the popular vote, but only 311 of the 742 registered adults in the UP voted. In a somewhat controversial move, moose were not allowed to vote for the first time in decades.

What about Bigfoot? I understand there are a few in the UP. https://www.whas11.com/article/news/nation-now/on-the-trail-of-bigfoot-in-an-upper-peninsula-michigan-forest/379066831

jv001
04-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Welcome to Duke, Cassius. Work on the Duke man2man defense, play hard and you have a great chance of contributing from day one. Oh, and sting the Cheats each time we play them. GoDuke!

dukelifer
04-23-2019, 10:51 AM
No inside info, but I'm guessing that the fact that Stanley attends the same high school as Marvin Bagley did was a plus in getting up to speed in a hurry. Coach K had some familiarity with the staff there, and the staff plus Bagley no doubt had good things to say about Duke and Coach K.

It is amazing that Duke can step in late and snatch a talented kid. It must drive opposing coaches nuts.

We will enjoy it while it lasts- Coach K is not coaching forever- although it seems like it sometimes.

dukelifer
04-23-2019, 10:55 AM
Just curious, does anyone know how he's a high school senior but two months older than AOC? I haven't seen it discussed anywhere yet.

Wasn't Hansbrough 30 when he was a Freshman?

Reddevil
04-23-2019, 11:36 AM

No, but he was well travelled.

jimsumner
04-23-2019, 12:52 PM

Well, when push comes to shove.

BD80
04-23-2019, 07:04 PM

It ain't the years, it's the miles.

UrinalCake
06-18-2019, 10:49 PM
New video from the Drew League in which Stanley shows an improved jumper. He looks more and more intriguing to me. We are stacked on the wing with Alex, Stanley, Moore, Baker, and White but if he can knock down the three then he has a chance to crack the rotation.

Link (https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1140667422799798272?s=21)

proelitedota
06-19-2019, 02:52 AM
New video from the Drew League in which Stanley shows an improved jumper. He looks more and more intriguing to me. We are stacked on the wing with Alex, Stanley, Moore, Baker, and White but if he can knock down the three then he has a chance to crack the rotation.

If he can knock down 3 and hold his own on defense, he'll be starting.

ice-9
06-19-2019, 02:57 AM
If he can 3 and D, he will play in the NBA.

dukelifer
06-19-2019, 06:25 AM

He is an unbelievable athlete - probably the best on the team. If he can play D with intensity- it will be hard to keep him off the floor.

lotusland
06-19-2019, 07:07 AM

It looks to me like the video shows him hitting the same 2 jumpers a couple or 3 times each.

YmoBeThere
06-19-2019, 07:22 AM
It looks to me like the video shows him hitting the same 2 jumpers a couple or 3 times each.

Umm, I've watched a video of one guy hitting a jumper from the near the free throw line over and over again. It never gets old. :p

JasonEvans
06-19-2019, 07:36 AM

Didn't look that way to me. Seemed like a variety of shots. Here is a different video (side angle, higher up) that shows highlights from the same game and it is easier to see the virety of shots being made by Stanley here. He sure looks confident in his jumper, even taking a couple NBA-like step-back 3s. Now, we have no way of knowing how many shot he missed (was he 3-for-5 on 3s of 3-for-15?) but the stuff he did sure looks impressive.

-Jason "just in: Coach K might be a good talent evaluator" Evans

HereBeforeCoachK
06-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Didn't look that way to me. Seemed like a variety of shots. Here is a different video (side angle, higher up) that shows highlights from the same game and it is easier to see the virety of shots being made by Stanley here. He sure looks confident in his jumper, even taking a couple NBA-like step-back 3s. Now, we have no way of knowing how many shot he missed (was he 3-for-5 on 3s of 3-for-15?) but the stuff he did sure looks impressive.

-Jason "just in: Coach K might be a good talent evaluator" Evans

I agree...and I'll add this...his form looks more consistent, cleaner, more repeatable than the form of RJ or Cam to me.... True, that was a small sample and not from the angle I normally saw Cam and RJ shoot....on TV.....but I like the form.

UrinalCake
06-19-2019, 11:26 AM
An article on 247 cites that he shot 35% from three over his last 8 games in the EYBL, so at least he's trending upwards. Kind of reminds me of Gerald Henderson who was also not a great shooter but improved over time and was effective enough to keep defenses honest so he could use his athleticism.