PDA

View Full Version : Did Cris Carter Even Watch Zion and Duke?

HereBeforeCoachK
04-19-2019, 07:29 PM
This is amazing panel....Cris Carter proving why he should stick to FB and stay the heck away from hoops. His analysis of Zion indicates he never watched him. His idea of the media attention Zion got at Duke indicates that Carter has no idea what Duke basketball is about. It's crazy. He just pick pick picks.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw7ISRT_WGM

duke4ever19
04-19-2019, 09:28 PM
This is amazing panel...Cris Carter proving why he should stick to FB and stay the heck away from hoops. His analysis of Zion indicates he never watched him. His idea of the media attention Zion got at Duke indicates that Carter has no idea what Duke basketball is about. It's crazy. He just pick pick picks....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw7ISRT_WGM

Not too surprising. Stephen A. Smith has been caught several times critiquing the contributions of players who are retired or not even on the team under discussion. That's when you know you are watching fresh garbage.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Not too surprising. Stephen A. Smith has been caught several times critiquing the contributions of players who are retired or not even on the team under discussion. That's when you know you are watching fresh garbage.

Well you have a point, but Carter is not on nearly as often as Smith, and Carter is on as an analyst, Smith more of a hot take personality. Carter spoke as if he hadn't watched Zion since the Instagram dunks in Zion's HS years.

left_hook_lacey
04-20-2019, 09:10 AM
I really didn't hear him say anything that was unfair. I think Chris Carter and Jackson were agreeing in different ways.

The only point I heard anyone make that I thought was dumb was the lady towards the end saying he might not be able to handle the instant stardom of the NBA. Lady, the kid had president Obama coming to his games. It was a phenomenon like we've never seen in college basketball and he never once withered, or shied away. The fame part he's ready for. I don't think she was paying attention this year.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-20-2019, 12:27 PM
I really didn't hear him say anything that was unfair. I think Chris Carter and Jackson were agreeing in different ways.

The only point I heard anyone make that I thought was dumb was the lady towards the end saying he might not be able to handle the instant stardom of the NBA. Lady, the kid had president Obama coming to his games. It was a phenomenon like we've never seen in college basketball and he never once withered, or shied away. The fame part he's ready for. I don't think she was paying attention this year.

Hate to be contrary, but Carter agreed with the limelight thing, and the dumb female. Carter also said his defense wasn't very good. Said he needed to learn to make steals. HUH? I think he slammed his passing too. And said his blocked shots would not translate to the NBA. If you agree with all of that, you and I don't see eye to eye on Zion. And I thought Carter and Jackson were a long way apart in their opinions....and that girl was a waste of a seat.

BandAlum83
04-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Well, yeah, but can Zion get to his spot?

AZLA
04-20-2019, 11:04 PM
CC the top hands WR in the History of the NFL, I mean, C’MON MAN! — I know ESPN stole your tag line after you left and I feel for you (Go Vikes)... but your comments about Zion are well....

C’MON MAN!

I think was taking the veteran, "okay Youngblood, this is the big leagues now approach," which I’m guessing he probably did in 98 when an underrated Randy Moss came rolling into Minneapolis and then destroyed all DBs and torched the NFL.

Much like Moss, Zion will be even better than in the pros with a wide open court (thanks to the 3 ball culture) and will be rocking the pros... only he will be the #1 pick and without all the offcourt baggage. Denny Green was genius for picking him late in the draft.

What CC said reminded me of the other day ... I was waiting on a backed up par 3 to hit when I started talking about basketball with a women in the other cart. And I kid you not she said, "I don’t see what the big deal is, They are going to eat Zion’s lunch in the NBA."

I just shook my head and realized I was talking sports to a (1) dolt or (2) a Duke hater.

All I could do is par out and move on to happy hour.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-20-2019, 11:12 PM
What CC said reminded me of the other day ... I was waiting on a backed up par 3 to hit when I started talking about basketball with a women in the other cart. And I kid you not she said, "I don’t see what the big deal is, They are going to eat Zion’s lunch in the NBA."

People like that woman amaze me....every year great college players go on to be great pros......and yet, it won't happen with Zion, because, well, um, Duke hate......people are pathetic sometime.

johnb
04-21-2019, 06:59 AM
The biggest culprit is a 24/7 news cycle that pushes for repetition and/or excess emphasis on details and opinions.

The panel seemed fine. We lost to MSU because our half court offense stalled, and Zion contributed to that ineffectiveness by not being able to create a reliable entry (ie, how well does he create his spot when good players are hunkered down deep in the blocks, waiting for him?).

Zion could obviously improve his outside shot.

The NBA is a step up in regards to athleticism, and while he may still be the most athletic guy on the court, it’ll be close. He won’t ever again be guarded by guys who are his height and 60 pounds lighter or by a 6’10 guy who’s athletic mainly because he’s tall. He won’t get all those steals triggered by his anticipation of a desperation pass from an opposing pg who’s been overwhelmed by a Tre trap.

Zion is a great guy and handled the press and celebrity with amazing grace. And he then got on the bus and went back to the control of a Duke team and Duke campus. I don’t know how much money is in his bank account. Maybe a few hundred bucks in case he needs to buy a shirt? That’s all I ever had at age 18.

I’m assuming most of the money from his upcoming deals with Nike, Coke, McDonalds, an NBA team etc will go to taxes, a lucky agent, and investments that will guarantee a prosperous middle age. Even if he puts himself on a tight financial leash, he could easily have 6 figures of cash in a checking account by the end of this week—any agent would front him some spending money. He will also have nobody watching him after the locker room interviews. Instead of goofing with the brotherhood under the watchful eyes of the coaching staff, all sorts of folks (men and women) will soon be offering him any and all opportunities for amusement. Has Zion ever handled “celebrity” at an NBA level? Nope.

I think Z will handle all of it. He has a great angle on both life and passing lanes, and I think it’ll go great for him. Nevertheless, great wealth and power can corrode anybody—again, I don’t think he’ll flail, but he does have new challenges ahead.

weezie
04-21-2019, 08:54 AM
The very last thing Zion needs to listen to is what Cris Carter with his way too big shirt cuffs has to say about anything under the sun.
The female was punted from NBC Weekend several years ago, I'm guessing for being both vapid and irritating.

Must have been a slow news day but Stephen Jackson shows promise.