PDA

View Full Version : Noble NCAA strikes again

wilson
04-18-2019, 05:50 PM
Finally responding appropriately to unc’s widespread academic fraud, the NCAA has his Cal Poly with stiff penalties for giving their student-athletes too much money to buy books (https://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/college/cal-poly/article229426089.html).

HereBeforeCoachK
04-18-2019, 05:54 PM
...reminds me of a Sports Illustrated quip from probably the 70s or 80s...."the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky, that it gave Cleveland State two years probation..."

devildeac
04-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Their mistakes:

"Cal Poly maintains that the violation was an inadvertent error, saying in a news release Thursday that it self-reported to the NCAA when the error was discovered by the Cal Poly Athletics Compliance staff. The university said it submitted a report to the NCAA in August 2017 detailing the facts and self-imposed penalties.

They should have used the word "typo" and not self-reported.

What a disgusting organization.

Kdogg
04-18-2019, 06:02 PM
...reminds me of a Sports Illustrated quip from probably the 70s or 80s..."the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky, that it gave Cleveland State two years probation..."

That was Jerry Tarkanian.

Truth&Justise
04-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Finally responding appropriately to unc’s widespread academic fraud, the NCAA has his Cal Poly with stiff penalties for giving their student-athletes too much money to buy books (https://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/college/cal-poly/article229426089.html).

The NCAA is an awful organization in many ways, but to be fair here:

"The NCAA found the violations to be wide-ranging, involving 265 students athletes in 18 sports from the 2012-13 academic year to the fall term of 2015. . . . The investigating committee said the stipend exceeded the actual cost of books for 72 athletes by $16,180 and caused 30 athletes to exceed their individual financial aid limits."

It might have been inadvertent, but when you make a mistake 265 times over three years, that's a lot of inadvertence.

wilson
04-18-2019, 06:23 PM
The NCAA is an awful organization in many ways, but to be fair here:

It might have been inadvertent, but when you make a mistake 265 times over three years, that's a lot of inadvertence.Yeah, but on the other hand, these students benefited to the average tune of $224.72. The punishment is ridiculous.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-18-2019, 06:24 PM
That was Jerry Tarkanian.

Yeah I think it was, SI quoting the Tark.

BLPOG
04-18-2019, 06:29 PM
Yeah, but on the other hand, these students benefited to the average tune of $224.72. The punishment is ridiculous.

...which in some cases buys fewer than two textbooks.

MarkD83
04-18-2019, 07:03 PM
...which in some cases buys fewer than two textbooks.

OK I'll be the first to make this joke....this would never happen at unc because the athletes don't need textbooks.

Neals384
04-18-2019, 08:10 PM
OK I'll be the first to make this joke...this would never happen at unc because the athletes don't need textbooks.

Ok, but where’s the punchline?

BD80
04-18-2019, 10:47 PM
OK I'll be the first to make this joke...this would never happen at unc because the athletes don't need textbooks.

NEED textbooks? Tarheels don't know how to USE textbooks!

accfanfrom1970
04-18-2019, 11:15 PM
NEED textbooks? Tarheels don't know how to USE textbooks!

Spell textbooks? Spell text or books? Spell at all? Know what a book is? The list is endless.

JasonEvans
04-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Shouldn't the penalty have to do with what was gained and the intent of the violation? This was clearly a mistake and no one knew some extra benefit was being afforded to the athletes (not even the athletes themselves). I don't see what the athletes gained except a bit more to spend on books and school supplies at an institution where the academics are a serious deal. No kid is attending Cal-Polytechnic to major in basket weaving and it is not like these benefits were financial game-changers for the players:

From the article quote

Cal Poly disagreed with the NCAA’s findings, claiming only 30 student athletes were over-awarded an average of $174.57 for books, amounting to $5,237.10 over the three-and-a-half-year period.

$174 over three years... why, that'e enough to buy 2 or 3 pizzas a year!

-Jason "I wish the NCAA would just stay out of stuff like this... sigh" Evans

IrishDevil
04-19-2019, 01:32 PM
Shouldn't the penalty have to do with what was gained and the intent of the violation? This was clearly a mistake and no one knew some extra benefit was being afforded to the athletes (not even the athletes themselves). I don't see what the athletes gained except a bit more to spend on books and school supplies at an institution where the academics are a serious deal. No kid is attending Cal-Polytechnic to major in basket weaving and it is not like these benefits were financial game-changers for the players:

From the article quote

$174 over three years... why, that'e enough to buy 2 or 3 pizzas a year!

-Jason "I wish the NCAA would just stay out of stuff like this... sigh" Evans

oldnavy
04-19-2019, 01:42 PM
The NCAA should stick to social justice issues and local politics and keep their nose out of athletics...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-19-2019, 01:55 PM
The NCAA should stick to social justice issues and local politics and keep their nose out of athletics...

*snerk*

When is the last time the NCAA didn't act in a disappointing way?

oldnavy
04-19-2019, 02:10 PM
*snerk*

When is the last time the NCAA didn't act in a disappointing way?

They always disappoint... but I am not going to go any further down that rabbit hole... last time I did I was censured by the authorities. Maybe I can get away with a subtle, smart hind end remark ... ;)