PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Keenan Worthington!

DavidBenAkiva
04-14-2019, 10:33 PM
Blair Academy (NJ) Senior Keenan Worthington announced via twitter (https://twitter.com/kworthington22/status/1117608959291138048) this evening that has has committed to Duke.

The young man will be a walk-on next season at Duke. He is about 6'8" and plays either forward position. He appears to be a 2- or 3-star recruit but held offers from several D-I teams. Welcome to Duke, young man!

BD80
04-14-2019, 11:01 PM
Blair Academy (NJ) Senior Keenan Worthington announced via twitter (https://twitter.com/kworthington22/status/1117608959291138048) this evening that has has committed to Duke.

The young man will be a walk-on next season at Duke. He is about 6'8" and plays either forward position. He appears to be a 2- or 3-star recruit but held offers from several D-I teams. Welcome to Duke, young man!

Awesome! Guys like this can be the heart of a Coach K team!

Dev11
04-14-2019, 11:09 PM
Blair Academy (NJ)

Luol Deng's high school. Not a bad lineage to join.

Furniture
04-14-2019, 11:19 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-M9-RVTmSTE

Dukehky
04-14-2019, 11:22 PM

Here's your Luke Maye chance everyone!!! Maybe K can show some ability to develop a 2 star into an All ACC player!

(kidding, Luke Maye was a top 160 recruit)

moonpie23
04-15-2019, 07:43 AM
welcome to the party, pal !!!!

YmoBeThere
04-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Here's your Luke Maye chance everyone!!

Welcome to Duke young man. Make your experiences unique.

DavidBenAkiva
04-15-2019, 09:11 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-M9-RVTmSTE

The first defensive highlight was him taking a charge. Fantastic!

Dukehk
04-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Welcome to Duke Keenan Worthington!!

:cool:

devildeac
04-15-2019, 09:34 AM
The first defensive highlight was him taking a charge. Fantastic!

But, an undisclosed acc ref overturned the call from mid-court and changed it to a blocking foul. :rolleyes::mad:

frb
04-15-2019, 12:32 PM
scored 21 pts against monteverde academy recently. looks like he might be able to contribute at some point.

killerleft
04-15-2019, 12:42 PM
Well, Keenan is not a name I have associated with Duke. But... come on down! You will help us get rid of the negative connotations Keenan brings up when Carowhina is mentioned in the same sentence!

Go Keenan Worthington, and Go Duke!

dukejim1
04-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Also his home town is Chapel Hill.

Kedsy
04-15-2019, 01:16 PM
scored 21 pts against monteverde academy recently. looks like he might be able to contribute at some point.

Honest question, do you think there has ever been a 6'8" high school player who didn't score over 20 points at least a few times in his HS career? Does that mean they were all capable of playing at an ACC level?

jimsumner
04-15-2019, 02:47 PM
6-8 walk-ons are unusual. Duke has had more than its share of tall walk-ons, Stanley Brunson, Patrick Johnson, Todd Zavifovski, Justin Robinson.

But as a general rule, walk-ons are walk-ons for a reason.

It might be useful to keep in mind that Mike Buckmire averaged 22 points, six assists and four rebounds per game as a high-school senior in Pennsylvania, while Brennan Besser averaged 15 points and seven rebounds as a senior in Illinois.

So, high-school stats should be considered an imperfect predictor of college success.

Like all walk-ons, I assume until proven otherwise that his contribution to the program will be made in practice.

Edouble
04-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Well, Keenan is not a name I have associated with Duke. But... come on down! You will help us get rid of the negative connotations Keenan brings up when Carolina is mentioned in the same sentence!

Go Keenan Worthington, and Go Duke!

Worthington is a name I associate with Duke.

Worthington was the fictional, prestigious university that Joey Potter (Katie Holmes) attended on Dawson's Creek. The scenes at Worthington were filmed on Duke's campus in the early aughts.

Hingeknocker
04-15-2019, 05:03 PM
Is there a list of who had offered Worthington a scholarship? I've looked around a bit, with no luck. For one, I'm always curious about these 18-year olds deciding between a role with minutes vs. a walk-on role at a program like Duke. I don't think the choice is necessarily obvious, but I'm always happy for talented players taking up those spots on the team.

For another, an official list of his offers will be very helpful in 3-4 years when DBR is debating exactly how talented he is, as we speculate about his capability for minutes as an upperclassman!

kako
04-15-2019, 08:18 PM
6-8 walk-ons are unusual. Duke has had more than its share of tall walk-ons, Stanley Brunson, Patrick Johnson, Todd Zavifovski, Justin Robinson.

It might be useful to keep in mind that Mike Buckmire averaged 22 points, six assists and four rebounds per game as a high-school senior in Pennsylvania, while Brennan Besser averaged 15 points and seven rebounds as a senior in Illinois.

So, high-school stats should be considered an imperfect predictor of college success.

Like all walk-ons, I assume until proven otherwise that his contribution to the program will be made in practice.

Agree 100%. I googled Worthington, and I could find no evidence of him even being ranked by a reputable source like Rivals or ESPN. He may be 2 star, I just couldn't find anything concrete.

Few know that Scottie Pippin was a walk on, to a NAIA school back in the 80s. He turned out ok :p While all Duke fans would love for Worthington to become the next Pippin, I'm not holding my breath. Or spending more thought on it. His contributions will be welcome and appreciated in the practice gym, as well as being a human victory cigar in blow outs with a dunk or two. And as he says, he will be part of The Brotherhood. But he should feel free to prove me wrong and get added to the Top 100 NBA players of all time when they make the list in 2046!

9F

MChambers
04-15-2019, 08:21 PM

Dating myself, but Geoff Northrop.

Kedsy
04-15-2019, 08:23 PM

When you date yourself, who buys dinner?

TKG
04-15-2019, 08:27 PM

You can go blind doing that....

JetpackJesus
04-15-2019, 08:30 PM
Honest question, do you think there has ever been a 6'8" high school player who didn't score over 20 points at least a few times in his HS career? Does that mean they were all capable of playing at an ACC level?

Yes. I played with one. 6'9" only goes so far when you have no hand-eye coordination. I'm not sure he could score 20 points if you left him alone on the court for 20 minutes. I don't think he ever lost a tip off, though.

But he became an olympic medalist in crew, so he's accomplished far more athletically than I ever will.

BD80
04-15-2019, 08:30 PM

Whoever picked the restaurant, duh ...

cascadedevil
04-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Fun fact. Keenan was a middle school teammate of fellow preferred walk-on Michael Savarino at Durham Academy. Both are fantastic young men and Duke is fortunate to have them.

jimsumner
04-15-2019, 11:12 PM

Bill Foster really liked walk-ons. Northrup, Bruce Bell, Rob Hardy, Larry Linney.

Foster did not over-recruit. He had two one-player classes at Duke and rarely had more than 10 recruited players, which hurt when injuries popped up.

Foster told me once that he wasn't going to play a dozen guys and he'd rather have walk-ons at the end of the bench who were glad to be there than recruited players on the end of the bench who were unhappy at not playing and complaining about it all the time.

gep
04-16-2019, 12:05 AM
Yes. I played with one. 6'9" only goes so far when you have no hand-eye coordination. I'm not sure he could score 20 points if you left him alone on the court for 20 minutes. I don't think he ever lost a tip off, though.

But he became an olympic medalist in crew, so he's accomplished far more athletically than I ever will.

Crew? 6'9"... isn't that kinda tall for that small "boat"??:cool:

JetpackJesus
04-16-2019, 01:10 AM
Crew? 6'9"... isn't that kinda tall for that small "boat"??:cool:

He rowed men's 8, so they other 7 guys must have balanced it out.