PDA

View Full Version : All-Duke NBA team, 2019-20

Forrest
04-14-2019, 09:59 AM
It's speculation season so, assuming no offseason injuries and full recoveries for everyone, how about this:

Starters: Kyrie, JJ, Jayson, Zion, Bags

Rotation players: Tyus, RJ, Ingram, Justise, Carter

Others: Kennard, Jabari, Giles

JJ shows no signs of slowing down, and still has a valued NBA skill.
Tyus might not be the most talented, but is a great NBA backup point.
Not sure about Bagley over Carter, but I'm hoping Bags is at least average on D next year.
Zion and Justise are small 4s, even in a small ball era, but compensate with strength and toughness.

Thoughts?

niveklaen
04-14-2019, 12:42 PM
Justice has been spending time at the point, not the 4 - I would add Mason into the rotation if I was looking for more size.

duke74
04-14-2019, 02:39 PM
No love for Lance? Doing a nice job here for the Knicks. Started and came off the bench this year.

DukieInBrasil
04-14-2019, 05:03 PM
It's speculation season so, assuming no offseason injuries and full recoveries for everyone, how about this:

Thoughts?

I'd take MP2 over Giles. Seth Curry was leading the NBA in 3FG% for quite a while and shot >46%, while Luke shot <40%. Neither of those 2 kill it on D so i might lean towards Seth on that. It might be a year or 2 before RJ deserves to be in the rotation ahead of Jabari. Jabari's 2FG% while with WAS was over 60%, no way RJ shoots that well next year. Again, neither of them kill it on D, so i'd lean on Jabari over RJ. Jahlil Okafor had a very solid 2nd half of the season, and probably would have outproduced Wendell Carter had he played for the Bulls, so i'm not entirely sold on Carter making it ahead of Jahlil.
I'd start your 5 as well, although that is a small-ball team that might have trouble with a good big like Embiid or Davis (then again, who doesn't?). Still, off-season speculation is really all we've got now, so thanks for starting this!

ice-9
04-14-2019, 09:30 PM
I would put MP2 in the starting line-up. You need size, rebounds, defense and great passing with scorers like Kyrie, Tatum and Zion. Zion is perfect for this team considering he can make a huge impact without needing the ball all the time. JJ for 3-point bombs all day. Defensively the perimeter might be a bit weak though.

Off the bench would be Tyus, Ingram, Winslow, Bagley and Carter. Winslow and Ingram have quietly become great shooters. They will give the two bigs space to do damage while being great defensively. Maybe Okafor instead of Carter for experience?

Actually maybe putting Ingram or Winslow in the starting lineup might be better to shore up the defense.

Yeah I like that better.

Kyrie, Tatum, Ingram, Zion and MP2.

Tyus, JJ, Winslow, Bagley, Carter (or Okafor.)

FerryFor50
04-14-2019, 10:51 PM
It’d be nice to field a uNC NBA all-star team for a rivalry game. Too bad they wouldn’t have enough players.

JNort
04-15-2019, 08:47 AM

JJ shows no signs of slowing down, and still has a valued NBA skill.
Tyus might not be the most talented, but is a great NBA backup point.
Not sure about Bagley over Carter, but I'm hoping Bags is at least average on D next year.
Zion and Justise are small 4s, even in a small ball era, but compensate with strength and toughness.

Thoughts?

Not trying to be nit picky but Zion and RJ aren't in the NBA yet, nor do we know how good they will be.

My starting lineup:
Kyrie, JJ, Tatum, Bagley, MP2

Bench:
Justise, Kennard, Ingram, Jabari, Carter

Others in rotation
Tyus and Giles

MCFinARL
04-15-2019, 09:21 AM
Not trying to be nit picky but Zion and RJ aren't in the NBA yet, nor do we know how good they will be.

My starting lineup:
Kyrie, JJ, Tatum, Bagley, MP2

Bench:
Justise, Kennard, Ingram, Jabari, Carter

Others in rotation
Tyus and Giles

Since, without the newbies, you have only 12 players here, I might throw in Quinn Cook for, if nothing else, being a great practice player/locker room glue guy and having strong established relationships with some of the folks on this team.

I'm also thinking, as someone mentioned above, that Jah is worth a second look--he appears to be really starting to put it together now.

Troublemaker
04-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Duke's strength is the versatile two-way big wings, which also happens to be the major scarcity of the NBA AND what the best teams build around. We should try to lean into that strength, in other words.

Kyrie, JJ, Justise, Jayson, Zion would destroy any starting lineup that has been brought up so far. Why are people starting two non-shooting bigs together? If you think that's awful in college, watch the NBA some time :-)

Also, if Brandon all of a sudden develops a 3-pt shot on decent volume (not counting on it), then I'd start him over JJ. Again, the two-way big wing is ridiculously important in the modern NBA game.

Matches
04-15-2019, 10:04 AM
I've actually thought about getting a video game next season that will allow me to assemble an all-Duke team.

I'd start Kyrie, Winslow, Tatum, Zion & Carter.

Bagley is the first guy off the bench and would play a ton.

Redick, Ingram, Tyus, MP2 are probably the other rotation players.

Giles, Frank Jackson and RJ fill out the roster.

That's a sick team. Frank Jackson is a good NBA player and he's getting garbage minutes. Okafor, Kennard and Curry get left out altogether.

I didn't forget Parker.

ice-9
04-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Duke's strength is the versatile two-way big wings, which also happens to be the major scarcity of the NBA AND what the best teams build around. We should try to lean into that strength, in other words.

Kyrie, JJ, Justise, Jayson, Zion would destroy any starting lineup that has been brought up so far. Why are people starting two non-shooting bigs together? If you think that's awful in college, watch the NBA some time :-)

Also, if Brandon all of a sudden develops a 3-pt shot on decent volume (not counting on it), then I'd start him over JJ. Again, the two-way big wing is ridiculously important in the modern NBA game.

The problem with that line-up is that Kyrie and JJ would both be exploited mercilessly. You can't play them together IMO.

Troublemaker
04-15-2019, 01:29 PM
The problem with that line-up is that Kyrie and JJ would both be exploited mercilessly. You can't play them together IMO.

Under Brad Stevens, Kyrie has been at least an average NBA defender. (The advanced stats bear that out, too, fyi, but from memory I know you're not a stats guy). Kyrie gives effort these days to get over screens and he has nice hands for steals.

While the title of this youtube video is hilarious (Kyrie's nowhere near that level of defender), it has some good clips of Kyrie playing defense these days in Boston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aELonMpEnOs

Point is, I don't think it's necessary to break up that backcourt. I did seriously consider bumping JJ for Brandon, but ultimately I decided I would prefer having JJ's threat to shoot over Brandon's physical tools and defensive edge. (JJ is a solid team defender but at his age does get worked 1-on-1 a bit too easily these days, imo.)

ice-9
04-15-2019, 09:12 PM
I get your thinking as I also initially had JJ in the starting line-up. I figured as a whole, he would be better with the second unit which I saw as slower paced with more post play (i.e. Bagley and Carter or Okafor in the middle) and where JJ can do maximum damage.

BTW why do you say I'm not a stats guy? It's true I don't have access to bball stats, or too lazy to look them up...

madscavenger
04-16-2019, 05:20 PM
What, no love for Jefferson?

Okafor, Jabari, Thomas, Curry, Kennard, Quinn, Tyus -- i'd give him minutes over any of them. He has skills in every area of the game, he's aggressive and very, very smart. And yes, some of the others are guards, but i'd find room for him first.

JNort
04-16-2019, 05:48 PM

Okafor, Jabari, Thomas, Curry, Kennard, Quinn, Tyus -- i'd give him minutes over any of them. He has skills in every area of the game, he's aggressive and very, very smart. And yes, some of the others are guards, but i'd find room for him first.
Care to explain a little more? The sample size is small but he doesn't seem capable yet of doing very much. I mean right now not only would I take all of those others over him but also: Grayson, Duvall, Miles, Marshall, Loul, and McRoberts if hasn't officially retired yet.

DukieInBrasil
04-16-2019, 06:47 PM

I love Amile's game, but it doesn't translate to the NBA very well. He acquitted himself well in the time that he saw the court this year, but he really only saw mop-up duty in just a few games. All of the guys you mentioned have played more minutes in at least one game in their careers than Amile has played in his entire NBA career.

Care to explain a little more? The sample size is small but he doesn't seem capable yet of doing very much. I mean right now not only would I take all of those others over him but also: Grayson, Duvall, Miles, Marshall, Loul, and McRoberts if hasn't officially retired yet.
In general i agree, but i wouldn't take MP3 nor MP1 over Amile, largely b/c MP3 is no longer playing pro ball. MP1 vs Amile may be a draw actually, since MP1 has much more athleticism and power, but much less skill than Amile. Heck, i'd take LT over Amile, since at least LT can hit the 3, and is a more versatile defender than Amile.