PDA

View Full Version : This might be the dumbest article ever written by a Tarheel:

DankeShane
03-08-2007, 05:19 PM
http://www.chapelhillnews.com/107/story/5906.html

Let's dig through a few of the more savory quotes:

Tyler Hansbrough should turn pro after the season ends for the sake of his own safety.

They have done this young man who has performed so much for the league in the last two years a great disservice by allowing one team after the other this season, from the first game forward, to hack and hammer Hansbrough unmercifully every time he touches the ball.

In 20 years of sports writing and a lifetime of watching basketball, I have only witnessed Shaquille O'Neal and Eric Montross take this kind of consistent punishment.

As for the ACC, only the conference office and its officials are more to blame than Krzyzewski.
Had they blown their whistles more often this year and let it be known that brutal play would not be tolerated, Hansbrough might not have a broken nose today.
But the accepted strategy has become to beat Hansbrough as much as possible, because opposing coaches know the officials are only going to call so many fouls.
Duke school officials, and what Dean Smith once called "the esteemed Duke faculty," should be ashamed of Krzyzewski's behavior through all of this. He has become an example of why it is so dangerous for any human being never to hear the word "no."

TNTDevil
03-08-2007, 05:23 PM
...the charge.

When a big man (like Hansbrough) gets the ball, lowers his shoulder to create contact and then shoots.

It's a CHARGE. But, more-often-than-not, it's called a foul and someone goes to the line.

rsvman
03-08-2007, 05:32 PM
1. It's dumb, to be sure, but to be the dumbest article EVER WRITTEN by a Tarheel might be pushing it. There's a lot of competition.;)

2. I have to laugh about the officials allowing too much contact ON Hansbrough; seems to me they allow too much contact BY Hansbrough. I'm just sayin.'

3. This is perhaps a picky complaint, but why do people say "unmercifully"? Don't they mean to say "mercilessly" or "without mercy"?

vick
03-08-2007, 05:52 PM
I actually thought this was the dumbest part of all:

Truth is, that doesn't really matter. Henderson flung himself across the lane, leading with his forearm. I've never seen anyone grab a rebound with a forearm.

I've also never seen anyone grab a rebound by leaping before the shot is attempted.