PDA

View Full Version : My Perfect World Scenario

dukefan5656
04-13-2019, 02:30 PM
Any Hornets fans here? I grew up in Charlotte in the 80s/90s and was a die hard fan. Obviously when they left, I just lost all interest. With that being said, here are two perfect world scenarios

1. Zion stays, wins a championship. Charlotte moves Kemba for a bunch of young talent and tanks. Gets the first pick next year and takes Zion.

2. Zion declares and Charlotte uses Kemba to get the first pick and takes Zion. Duke gets RJ and Hurt, still win a championship. Cam and Zion become best friends, combine their DNA and create the most freakish athlete in history.

I think it would be incredibly fun to watch Bridges and Zion play together.

Edit: for an even further stretch, Kyrie and Tatum decide they want to build a Duke-NBA super team and both go down to Charlotte as well.

Talk about a franchise that needs a revival and we all know Zion would do that. MJ, above all other decision makers, has to recognize the transcendent marketing value of getting Zion. I honestly think Charlotte would be the team that benefits the most by adding him.

jimsumner
04-13-2019, 02:33 PM
Nothing in my perfect-world scenario involves Charlotte or DNA combination. :)

dukefan5656
04-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Nothing in my perfect-world scenario involves Charlotte or DNA combination. :)

You're not a Hornets fan?? Which NBA team do you follow, if any?

arnie
04-13-2019, 03:08 PM
Any Hornets fans here? I grew up in Charlotte in the 80s/90s and was a die hard fan. Obviously when they left, I just lost all interest. With that being said, here are two perfect world scenarios

1. Zion stays, wins a championship. Charlotte moves Kemba for a bunch of young talent and tanks. Gets the first pick next year and takes Zion.

2. Zion declares and Charlotte uses Kemba to get the first pick and takes Zion. Duke gets RJ and Hurt, still win a championship. Cam and Zion become best friends, combine their DNA and create the most freakish athlete in history.

I think it would be incredibly fun to watch Bridges and Zion play together.

Edit: for an even further stretch, Kyrie and Tatum decide they want to build a Duke-NBA super team and both go down to Charlotte as well.

Talk about a franchise that needs a revival and we all know Zion would do that. MJ, above all other decision makers, has to recognize the transcendent marketing value of getting Zion. I honestly think Charlotte would be the team that benefits the most by adding him.

Enjoyed going to Hornets games until the UNC centric Hornets drafted JR Reid. Favorite game after that - watching their prize starting forward go scoreless in home game. After mishandling Johnson/Mourning contracts they went down the tubes and have stayed that way.

Doubt MJ would ever take Zion when players like Nassir Little or Kenny Williams are available 😀. Until MJ relinquishes control, Hornets destined to suck.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-13-2019, 04:17 PM

In the early days, as the original Hornets were building, selling out the largest arena in the NBA every game for many seasons in a row.....were fun. Then they got stale. Then they left. Then the Bobcats. Now the Hornets again. Never been the same. MJ a terrible owner apparently.

jimsumner
04-13-2019, 05:35 PM

I watch a lot of NBA without a permanent favorite team. I tend to pay more attention to teams with former Duke players.

I'm holding my breath for the return of the Carolina Cougars. Pogo Joe Caldwell. Now that was a player.

He's also Marvin Bagley's maternal grandfather.

Dukehky
04-13-2019, 05:43 PM
I watch a lot of NBA without a permanent favorite team. I tend to pay more attention to teams with former Duke players.

I'm holding my breath for the return of the Carolina Cougars. Pogo Joe Caldwell. Now that was a player.

Same. I think NBA writers are the best too so it's the easiest to follow without necessarily having to watch tons of games.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Any perfect world scenario must include Rose Leslie...

EKU1969
04-13-2019, 07:03 PM

I remember him as Jumpin’ Joe Caldwell out of Arizona State. I also remember watching Bob Verga, Rick Barry, and Dr J in the ABA.
Was at the Charlotte Coliseum when Hornets won their first home game over the Indiana Pacers. When Charlotte took the lead for the first time, 23000 fans stood up and chanted, “We will, we will rock you!” The Pacers just stopped and looked around dumbfounded by how loud it was. Magical!

devildeac
04-13-2019, 10:15 PM

...and scorched earth 10.7 miles driving distance southwest of Cameron...

lotusland
04-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Enjoyed going to Hornets games until the UNC centric Hornets drafted JR Reid. Favorite game after that - watching their prize starting forward go scoreless in home game. After mishandling Johnson/Mourning contracts they went down the tubes and have stayed that way.

Doubt MJ would ever take Zion when players like Nassir Little or Kenny Williams are available 😀. Until MJ relinquishes control, Hornets destined to suck.

I was a season ticket holder for the Hornets in the 90s. Stacy King was the conventional wisdom pick when the Hornets drafted JR. In hindsight idk if JR was clearly worse than King. Mourning left because he wanted to go to Miami and play for Pat Riley. The ownership wanted a smaller new arena with more corporate suites to replace a great arena less than 10-years old and that led the league in attendance. After the new arena was voted down they eventually left. That pretty much ended my interest with the NBA which happened as the Magic/Bird era had ended and Jordan was playing baseball. I haven’t kept up with it since. Watched about 15 minutes of the Warriors and Clips last night and got bored. I liked the game better with post ups and jump shooters. I’d eliminate the 3 point line if it were up to me. I don’t care how good Steph shoots it’s boring.

arnie
04-14-2019, 08:28 AM
I was a season ticket holder for the Hornets in the 90s. Stacy King was the conventional wisdom pick when the Hornets drafted JR. In hindsight idk if JR was clearly worse than King. Mourning left because he wanted to go to Miami and play for Pat Riley. The ownership wanted a smaller new arena with more corporate suites to replace a great arena less than 10-years old and that led the league in attendance. After the new arena was voted down they eventually left. That pretty much ended my interest with the NBA which happened as the Magic/Bird era had ended and Jordan was playing baseball. I haven’t kept up with it since. Watched about 15 minutes of the Warriors and Clips last night and got bored. I liked the game better with post ups and jump shooters. I’d eliminate the 3 point line if it were up to me. I don’t care how good Steph shoots it’s boring.

Yes, great and then very bad memories of the Hornets. With George Shinn and MJ as owners how could it have been different? Maybe Sterling reincarnated or Daniel Snyder buying the team will propel the Hornets into the future🙃

EKU1969
04-14-2019, 10:52 AM
Yes, great and then very bad memories of the Hornets. With George Shinn and MJ as owners how could it have been different? Maybe Sterling reincarnated or Daniel Snyder buying the team will propel the Hornets into the future🙃

I remember when Charlotte held a vote on building a new arena downtown by the football stadium and the people voted, "No!"...and Mayor McCrory built it anyway...thats when I stopped watching! Leaving the NBA's highest seating capacity arena for a smaller one just did not make sense, since they were filling it up every game! Horrible decision, IMHO!

Forrest
04-14-2019, 07:28 PM
here are two perfect world scenarios
Meanwhile, here in the real world, the Hornets will use their #12 pick on Nas Little, who is MKG without the upside that MKG never really had, and who won't give them any of the scoring they lose when Jeremy Lamb signs elsewhere. But hey, at least he's a Carolina guy! Then the Hornets will be in the lottery again in 2020. MJ needs to find another gig.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-14-2019, 08:22 PM
I remember when Charlotte held a vote on building a new arena downtown by the football stadium and the people voted, "No!"...and Mayor McCrory built it anyway...thats when I stopped watching! Leaving the NBA's highest seating capacity arena for a smaller one just did not make sense, since they were filling it up every game! Horrible decision, IMHO!

I'm pretty sure when the Hornets left the 24 thousand seat building, the days of the sell outs were long long gone.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-14-2019, 08:25 PM

Ah the Cougars.....at the old Dorton Arena in Raleigh for their "Raleigh" home games. Randy Denton played with them for a while. I was there when the Cougars became part of bball history with two glass back boards shattered in the same game, by the same player. I was but a wee lad. Player was Chuckie "Helicopter" Hentz of the Pittsburgh Condors. Yes, Condors.

Also saw young Dr. J, with the Squires and the Nets....and then the hated Kentucky Colonels...

MCFinARL
04-14-2019, 08:26 PM

You know nothing, Jon Snow.