PDA

View Full Version : Zion Sweeps All The Awards

Dukehk
04-13-2019, 02:08 AM
Congratulations young man. What a ride its been and what a shining example Zion has become for the Duke program.

Every bit deserved.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26509135/zion-completes-19-awards-sweep-wooden

dukelifer
04-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Congratulations young man. What a ride its been and what a shining example Zion has become for the Duke program.

Every bit deserved.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26509135/zion-completes-19-awards-sweep-wooden

Could he be the first to sweep them twice - ummm, who knows?

bullettoothtony
04-13-2019, 08:01 AM
He didn't win "all" of them, technically. R.J. was named USA Today's player of the year a few weeks ago.

But congrats to ZW... obviously well deserved.

MCFinARL
04-13-2019, 09:22 AM
Could he be the first to sweep them twice - ummm, who knows?

Isn't it pretty to think so? :)

johnb
04-13-2019, 03:54 PM
If R.J. can win the award for best shooting guard, no reason Zion can’t win the Wooden while playing for the Knicks.

Edouble
04-13-2019, 04:37 PM
He didn't win "all" of them, technically. R.J. was named USA Today's player of the year a few weeks ago.

I assume the OP meant the six major NPOY awards... the ones that if you win them all, you are considered the Consensus NPOY.

Wooden
Naismith
Sporting News
AP
NABC
Oscar Robertson

Yeah, there are other minor awards given out by newspapers, bakeries, etc.

22JumpShots
04-13-2019, 04:52 PM
I assume the OP meant the six major NPOY awards... the ones that if you win them all, you are considered the Consensus NPOY.

Wooden
Naismith
Sporting News
AP
NABC
Oscar Robertson

You wouldn't be referring to the Helms Bakery would you? ;)

Bay Area Duke Fan
04-13-2019, 06:29 PM

Congratulations to Zion for his individual achievements! It was great watching his one season at Duke.

But, he didn't attain the most important achievement for a college player … National Champion.

slower
04-13-2019, 06:41 PM
Congratulations to Zion for his individual achievements! It was great watching his one season at Duke.

But, he didn't attain the most important achievement for a college player … National Champion.

Not everybody thinks that's true. It may be most important for most fans, but not all PLAYERS.

In fact, I'll bet an overwhelming majority of players would rather be NPOY than NCAA champ.

-jk
04-13-2019, 06:57 PM
Not everybody thinks that's true. It may be most important for most fans, but not all PLAYERS.

In fact, I'll bet an overwhelming majority of players would rather be NPOY than NCAA champ.

I'm sure it's very tough for the ones that are consensus NPOY but not NCAA champs.

And very satisfying for the doubles! Christian! Shane! Jason!

(Is there an official "consensus" "National Player of the Year" as there is for first team "All America"?)

-jk

Gorilla
04-13-2019, 08:11 PM
Congrats Zion!

johnb
04-14-2019, 07:02 AM

Wooden
Naismith
Sporting News
AP
NABC
Oscar Robertson

According to GoDuke, the NCAA’s “consensus” refers to only 4 awards: the Sporting News, NABC, AP and USBWA (at least in regards to AA’s). USBWA is named after Robertson. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211798219

Given the meaning of the word consensus, I’d guess 3/4 of the awards would be enough.

On the other hand, i think we count Danny Ferry as consensus, and he won 2 of those 4 (Sean Elliott and Stacey King won the other 2), but Ferry also won the UPI and Elliott the Wooden.

Hmmm, elsewhere on the site (different article), they trot out a longer list in this article about Duke’s winners, a list that includes the very well known Naismiths and Woodens—as well as Rupp, which may have gotten mentioned because it was the only npoy award won by JJ in 2005. He swept the next year. And Rupp is no longer given, apparently because Kentucky is a pit of vipers.

If anyone knows this stuff with more precision, have at it!