PDA

View Full Version : Zion should stay and finish his anthropology degree.

proelitedota
04-12-2019, 06:00 PM
Don't be distracted by some stupid game with balls. Follow your heart. You know you want to live a life learning, teaching, and helping mankind.

https://sports.theonion.com/duke-anthropology-professor-devastated-to-learn-promisi-1834009460?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=theonion_copy&utm_campaign=top

plimnko
04-12-2019, 06:11 PM
seems like the writing is on the wall

Jay29
04-13-2019, 10:37 AM
seems like the writing is on the wall

I come here for Duke bball discussion, but I stay for the subtle anthropology puns.

dukelifer
04-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Don't be distracted by some stupid game with balls. Follow your heart. You know you want to live a life learning, teaching, and helping mankind.

https://sports.theonion.com/duke-anthropology-professor-devastated-to-learn-promisi-1834009460?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=theonion_copy&utm_campaign=top

No reason why Zion cannot do both. Lots of time to read and do research between NBA games.

TruBlu
04-13-2019, 03:41 PM
No reason why Zion cannot do both. Lots of time to read and do research between NBA games.

Hmmm. There’s more time between college games than NBA games, and less of them. And he would already be on campus. Coach K might even let him keep his basketball scholarship, if Zion would suit up and play about 34 minutes each game.

Reddevil
04-13-2019, 08:44 PM
I come here for Duke bball discussion, but I stay for the subtle anthropology puns.

No bones about it.

Zion: I want to stay in school.
K: Yeah...NO!

quahog174
04-13-2019, 09:52 PM

My sediments exactly.

Indoor66
04-14-2019, 09:08 AM
My sediments exactly.

I'd give it an 8 on the Powers scale. The Russian judge dissents.

dukelifer
04-14-2019, 10:45 AM
Hmmm. There’s more time between college games than NBA games, and less of them. And he would already be on campus. Coach K might even let him keep his basketball scholarship, if Zion would suit up and play about 34 minutes each game.

But Zion will be pulled in multiple directions on campus- given his love of acting. You also are not accounting for the fact that Zion does everything fast- including reading.

Dukehk
04-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Can you imagine the scenes if Zion decided to come back.

TruBlu
04-14-2019, 11:34 AM
But Zion will be pulled in multiple directions on campus- given his love of acting. You also are not accounting for the fact that Zion does everything fast- including reading.

Which means he can read and study during his 6 minutes on the bench and during timeouts. He can write his papers during halftime.

Come on Zion! You can do this.

p.s. I have a wild hunch that Zion is going to stay for his sophomore year. Which means he probably announces for the NBA tomorrow.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-14-2019, 11:36 AM

The evolution of DBR is quite remarkable.

cspan37421
04-14-2019, 11:41 AM
I had a friend at Duke, anthropology major, went on to graduate school in it too ... she was fascinated by bog men.

Even in just one year, Zion must have heard about the colorful history of the Cameron Crazies; maybe he confused BOG men with bog men.

Dukehk
04-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Guys. He is coming back. Its confirmed..

https://twitter.com/BlueDevils/status/1116722113002516482

Click on the picture and check out the caption.

:D:D:D

scottdude8
04-14-2019, 11:55 AM

That’s just mean... my heart just skipped a beat.

richardjackson199
04-14-2019, 03:33 PM

Real funny. :rolleyes:

UrinalCake
04-14-2019, 04:24 PM
If Zion comes back my head will literally explode.

richardjackson199
04-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Don't worry Urinal, your head will be ok. ;)

You literally have a better chance of winning the Powerball than Zion returning.

The DBR Front page talks about the greatest Duke basketball tweet of all time. Well then maybe this blue box one was one of the worst.

The #Brotherhood who put that out is not affiliated with DukeU or DukeMBB. They tweeted out that picture, but it's not happening so I think it's kinda not cool because some Duke fans are going to get trolled.

But Z should declare in the next day or two and put a stop to this nonsense.

proelitedota
04-14-2019, 04:55 PM

Well he was going to return, but now he is ineligible due to this being an NCAA violation. :(

MCFinARL
04-14-2019, 08:23 PM

So, how much do you really need your head? Might be a worthwhile tradeoff.

Well he was going to return, but now he is ineligible due to this being an NCAA violation. :(

Only if he got paid, right?

knicknut
04-14-2019, 09:04 PM
So, how much do you really need your head? Might be a worthwhile tradeoff.

Only if he got paid, right?

Not necessarily. Even if someone else benefits from your likeness, it could cause you from being ineligible if you allow it to happen.

I remember the bylaw being quoted regarding Bagley's unlicensed knockoff t-shirts being sold last year.

NCAA, a bastion of consistent morals.

Speaking of which, is NCAA Champ Kyle Guy allowed to put his wedding registry back online yet? Or will UVA's championship be stripped in around 2023?

MCFinARL
04-15-2019, 09:13 AM
Not necessarily. Even if someone else benefits from your likeness, it could cause you from being ineligible if you allow it to happen.

I remember the bylaw being quoted regarding Bagley's unlicensed knockoff t-shirts being sold last year.

Speaking of which, is NCAA Champ Kyle Guy allowed to put his wedding registry back online yet? Or will UVA's championship be stripped in around 2023?

Oh, good point--there was something about someone from the school down the road (PJ Hairston maybe?) endorsing a dental treatment or something that was controversial even though he apparently (emphasis on apparently) didn't get paid.

Re Guy, if he is planning on coming back to school next year, I'm thinking never. If not, it's a more interesting question--could the NCAA interpret gifts to him as ex post facto rewards for his college play that still somehow taint UVA? Certainly possible.

subzero02
04-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Isn't that desirable for someone who wishes to continue to play collelgiately... something that prevents them from being ineligible? :-)

Truth&Justise
04-15-2019, 12:04 PM

Re Guy, if he is planning on coming back to school next year, I'm thinking never. If not, it's a more interesting question--could the NCAA interpret gifts to him as ex post facto rewards for his college play that still somehow taint UVA? Certainly possible.

Just clarifying this again: Kyle Guy is allowed to have a wedding registry (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/04/04/kyle-guy-his-fiancee-say-they-were-told-their-wedding-registry-violated-ncaa-rules/?utm_term=.5d501f344494). It seems like an overzealous UVA compliance office reacted when a blogger posted a link to the registry, but the NCAA clarified there are no rules preventing the registry. So in the time it took that story to spread, it had already been corrected.

Just like a player can receive Christmas and Birthday gifts from friends and family, they can receive wedding presents. A violation would only occur if people not related to that player suddenly started sending gifts.

uh_no
04-15-2019, 12:16 PM
Just clarifying this again: Kyle Guy is allowed to have a wedding registry (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/04/04/kyle-guy-his-fiancee-say-they-were-told-their-wedding-registry-violated-ncaa-rules/?utm_term=.5d501f344494). It seems like an overzealous UVA compliance office reacted when a blogger posted a link to the registry, but the NCAA clarified there are no rules preventing the registry. So in the time it took that story to spread, it had already been corrected.

Just like a player can receive Christmas and Birthday gifts from friends and family, they can receive wedding presents. A violation would only occur if people not related to that player suddenly started sending gifts.

Guy: "what do you mean I can't invite the entire UVA fanbase to my wedding?"

MCFinARL
04-15-2019, 01:01 PM

Yes. IIRC the issue was that the registry should be private, e.g. password protected--so actual friends of Guy and his fiancee could get the password (probably on a save the date announcement) and access the registry but others, at least theoretically, could not. Of course someone could still post the password but at least it doesn't look like Guy is actively soliciting gifts from the public. But maybe all of that has been superseded by now.

devildeac
04-15-2019, 01:15 PM
Yes. IIRC the issue was that the registry should be private, e.g. password protected--so actual friends of Guy and his fiancee could get the password (probably on a save the date announcement) and access the registry but others, at least theoretically, could not. Of course someone could still post the password but at least it doesn't look like Guy is actively soliciting gifts from the public. But maybe all of that has been superseded by now.

Yea, imagine some unscrupulous VT fan sending a water pitcher or cake knife and then reporting him to the ncaa...

CrazyNotCrazie
04-15-2019, 01:33 PM
Yea, imagine some unscrupulous VT fan sending a water pitcher or cake knife and then reporting him to the ncaa...

Candlesticks always make a nice gift

proelitedota
04-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Today is a dark day for the the anthropology academia. They just lost one of their most promising students this year in Zion Williamson.

cspan37421
04-15-2019, 06:42 PM
Candlesticks always make a nice gift

maybe the unscrupulous VT fan will find out where Guy's fiancee is registered - maybe get a place setting or silverware pattern.

cspan37421
04-15-2019, 06:43 PM
Today is a dark day for the the anthropology academia. They just lost one of their most promising students this year in Zion Williamson.

those lucrative adjunct professorship positions aren't going to fill themselves.

NSDukeFan
04-15-2019, 07:15 PM
maybe the unscrupulous VT fan will find out where Guy's fiancee is registered - maybe get a place setting or silverware pattern.

That would be a bit hokie wouldn’t it?

knicknut
04-15-2019, 07:24 PM
Isn't that desirable for someone who wishes to continue to play collelgiately... something that prevents them from being ineligible? :-)

My wording more meant that just not actively taking part in your likeness being used wasn't enough, e.g., Bagley's T-shirts. One would actively have to take legal steps to prevent it. Pretty high bar for students who in theory aren't getting paid and can't afford lawyers :confused:

TruBlu
04-15-2019, 08:12 PM
Which means he can read and study during his 6 minutes on the bench and during timeouts. He can write his papers during halftime.

Come on Zion! You can do this.

p.s. I have a wild hunch that Zion is going to stay for his sophomore year. Which means he probably announces for the NBA tomorrow.

My next wild hunch is that I will NOT win the lottery tomorrow.