PDA

View Full Version : Cam Reddish Declares for NBA Draft

907bluedevils
04-11-2019, 06:30 PM
Best wishes to the young man in following his dreams.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1116464529662148608

NSDukeFan
04-11-2019, 06:33 PM
Best wishes to the young man in following his dreams.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1116464529662148608

I enjoyed the first reply “finally it’s Zion’s team.”
Best of luck to Cam.

907bluedevils
04-11-2019, 06:34 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwIa-E3l6SF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

official announcement from his IG

scottdude8
04-11-2019, 06:35 PM
Go prove all your doubters wrong in the league Cam!!!

GoDuke2015
04-11-2019, 06:35 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwIa-E3l6SF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

official announcement from his IG

Good for him. Wish him the best at the next level. Thanks, Cam!!

GoDuke!

Saratoga2
04-11-2019, 06:42 PM
I know he wants to go and if in truth he is taken in the lottery, then he should benefit by doing so. Good luck to him as he has the furthest to develop of the three who will go. I will be interested in his furture development.

cato
04-11-2019, 06:46 PM
I know he wants to go and if in truth he is taken in the lottery, then he should benefit by doing so. Good luck to him as he has the furthest to develop of the three who will go. I will be interested in his furture development.

Well, Zion isn’t a fair comp and Cam was a revelation for a one and done on D. How long did it take Austin Rivers to learn that he had to dedicate himself on both sides of the ball to stick? Cam knows that right now, and will be ready to contribute on D from day one.

Does he have to improve on O? Sure. But he’s going to get paid while trying to do that, so good for him.

Best of luck Cam Reddish!

proelitedota
04-11-2019, 06:51 PM
Zion's going to have to replace a lot of lost production. Luckily he is capable of doing so for us next year.

AGDukesky
04-11-2019, 06:54 PM
Best of luck and thanks for the FSU game winner!

proelitedota
04-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Best of luck and thanks for the FSU game winner!

Also more importantly for the UF game saver!

UrinalCake
04-11-2019, 07:07 PM
He had his share of struggles this season, but he always played hard especially on the defensive side. He definitely has the tools to succeed at the next level as a 3 and D guy which every team covets. In another era he would be a guy who stayed in college for a few years and developed, but the way the system is set up today it would be crazy not to go. Best of luck to him.

DavidBenAkiva
04-11-2019, 07:34 PM
One thing I love about the Duke program is how they are thoughtful and coordinated with the players when they announce. There is a video from the official twitter and Instagram accounts. The player is making the decision with Duke. None of this silly screenshot of a notes page, like what Devon Dotson did. Its sends the message that this is something the team and the player are doing together. There are no bridges burnt. The one-and-done model has some obvious flaws, but I do think Duke is handling this as best as it can.

mkirsh
04-11-2019, 08:35 PM

And some huge shots in the Louisville comeback. Cam was up and down this year but some of the ups were spectacular

subzero02
04-11-2019, 08:45 PM

I think you mean the UCF game saver...

lotusland
04-11-2019, 08:49 PM
I think you mean the UCF game saver...

And I thought he meant FSU..,

nmduke2001
04-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Bold prediction: Cam will have a better NBA career than RJ.

rsvman
04-11-2019, 09:01 PM
I was hoping against hope for another season out of Cam. I know the hope wasn't realistic.

I feel like he never got anywhere near his potential during his one and only season here. Seems like a nice guy. Has a lot of defensive skill already. Showed flashes of brilliance on offense. Made some big, big shots. I really thought (and now I wish) that Coach K would've drawn up a play similar to the one we ran at FSU at the end of the Michigan State game, and let Cam take one shot to send us to the Final Four. I like Cam's chances of making that game-winning shot better than the odds of RJ making two free throws. Probably Coach K was thinking RJ would get the bucket, and possibly the "and-1."

Oh, well. As my dearly departed mother used to say, "If wishes were fishes, we'd all have a feast."

Good luck to Cam at the next level.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-11-2019, 09:12 PM

That would not shock me.....but it won't be for a few years I don't think......

weezie
04-11-2019, 10:18 PM
Ah Cam. Soft spoken but sweet lethal.
Go get 'em young man!

Dukehk
04-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Thanks Cam for everything!

#Camfam

Furniture
04-11-2019, 10:51 PM
Good luck Cam. I’ll be rooting for you in the NBA.

ncexnyc
04-11-2019, 10:51 PM
That is a very bold prediction. The physical tools are definitely there, but I just don't see enough of an aggressive attitude from Cam. Cam lived up to his High School scouting report during his time and Duke and I don't see how that changes at the next level.

dukelifer
04-11-2019, 10:59 PM

Only if he works as hard as RJ and that will not be easy.

jjc92
04-11-2019, 11:01 PM
That is a very bold prediction. The physical tools are definitely there, but I just don't see enough of an aggressive attitude from Cam. Cam lived up to his High School scouting report during his time and Duke and I don't see how that changes at the next level.

I agree. I think Cam will probably be a role player in the NBA. That being said I think he’ll still have a long career.

subzero02
04-11-2019, 11:30 PM

His aggression, or lack thereof, isn't nearly as much of a problem as his tendency to turn the ball over when taking his man off the dribble in a halfcourt set. Another top level Blue Devil had this problem as a freshman but Luke Kennard improved his handle tremendously leading up to his sophomore season. Hopefully Cam can improve in this area as a rookie. If he can shore up this weakness, he will spend a lot less time on the bench during his first NBA season.

moonpie23
04-11-2019, 11:37 PM
Best of luck, Cam… Hope you really burn it up in the league...thanks for choosing duke.

WHOneedsSOX
04-12-2019, 12:20 AM
I agree. I think Cam will probably be a role player in the NBA. That being said I think he’ll still have a long career.

He can be a really good 3 and D player if he's able to make his 3 consistently and add some muscle to guard bigger guys.

I expect Zion to announce sometime tomorrow.

Scorp4me
04-12-2019, 12:23 AM
The Duke haters are loving that Cam didn't play up to his potential this year and many have said that going somewhere other than Duke would have been in his best interest. In this case, with the understanding that he really needs another year to develop, I have to agree. Had Cam gone to UNC Roy would easily have been able to get a good 4 years out of him and help him reach his true potential! Alas, we'll never get to see it I guess. hahaha

CameronBornAndBred
04-12-2019, 12:37 AM
Bye.

jjc92
04-12-2019, 12:59 AM
He can be a really good 3 and D player if he's able to make his 3 consistently and add some muscle to guard bigger guys.

I expect Zion to announce sometime tomorrow.

Oh yeah definitely. I think his defense is what kept has him in the top 10 of the mock drafts. I’m sure he’ll settle in and find his role...when that is, is yet to be determined though.

flyingdutchdevil
04-12-2019, 07:18 AM
Oh yeah definitely. I think his defense is what kept has him in the top 10 of the mock drafts. I’m sure he’ll settle in and find his role...when that is, is yet to be determined though.

I also suspect he’ll find plenty more success driving the basketball in the NBA given they don’t take charges.

I use “plenty more success”, like he doesn’t turn the ball over on every drive.

Cam is oozing with potential. I hope it’s a weight thing and he’s not an overrated prospect.

slower
04-12-2019, 07:28 AM
Depends on how they adjust psychologically to the NBA.

Cam seems way more fragile than RJ in that area. I hope the league doesn't overwhelm him.

RJ has that built-in alpha-dog mentality, which might carry him through some rough patches. Plus, he has his dad and Steve Nash to give him some guidance. OTOH, there may be some veteran players who very quickly tire of him shouting "And 1!" after every drive to the hoop. I can see him taking his share of hard fouls.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-12-2019, 07:29 AM
The Duke haters are loving that Cam didn't play up to his potential this year and many have said that going somewhere other than Duke would have been in his best interest. In this case, with the understanding that he really needs another year to develop, I have to agree. Had Cam gone to UNC Roy would easily have been able to get a good 4 years out of him and help him reach his true potential! Alas, we'll never get to see it I guess. hahaha

ISWYDT.....well played....

flyingdutchdevil
04-12-2019, 07:31 AM
Depends on how they adjust psychologically to the NBA.

Cam seems way more fragile than RJ in that area. I hope the league doesn't overwhelm him.

RJ has that built-in alpha-dog mentality, which might carry him through some rough patches. Plus, he has his dad and Steve Nash to give him some guidance. OTOH, there may be some veteran players who very quickly tire of him shouting "And 1!" after every drive to the hoop. I can see him taking his share of hard fouls.

Is the “And 1!” Real? Did RJ really do that this year?

slower
04-12-2019, 07:36 AM
Is the “And 1!” Real? Did RJ really do that this year?

I'm exaggerating, of course. Maybe not EVERY drive. But I swear I heard him shout it at least once a game. Although, I suppose that IS a pretty "NBA" thing to do. I think RJ is mentally strong enough to handle anything, honestly.

miramar
04-12-2019, 09:08 AM
When the game slows down for him he will be fine. The system is not set up for him to stay at Duke for another year, but with hard work he will have a good career.

EKU1969
04-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Go get ‘em, Cam!

Billy Dat
04-12-2019, 09:49 AM
I hope that as time passes we'll be able to appreciate Cam's freshman year, his only year, for what it was rather than what it was compared to his mega-watt teammates Zion and RJ.

In the one-and-done Duke era, we have perhaps gotten used to freshmen being able to come in and play heavy minutes and produce. That's what Cam did...36 games (35 starts), 30 mpg, 13.5 ppg. In general, I think we all feel he played good defense, perhaps not great considering his pedestrian +/- (i know, not the greatest stat).

I think where expectations got in the way of reality was the shooting. Everyone thought he'd be the guy who kept defenses from packing the paint on us, but his shooting numbers just weren't what we all hoped they'd be...36% from the field, 33% from 3 on a team leading 7.5 attempts per game. He shot well from the line (77%) but only got to the line 3 times per game. Perhaps part of that was his loose handle which kept him from being an effective penetrator and contributed to another achilles heal, a 16.6% turnover %.

But, his usage was the 3rd highest on the team so the kid came in, competed, and gave us a lot. Without the expectations, we'd be thinking he just had a heck of a debut. But, he had one legendary freshman teammate, and a second all-time great freshman teammate.

As others have said, he'll always be remembered for...
-The buzzer beater in Tally
-The huge 3 in the Yum Center on the backwards through the legs pass from RJ

I also remember that he seemed like a humble, well-mannered, quiet kid who didn't appear to resent his more well-publicized teammates and was happy to be one-of-the-guys. I am not sure if that's what he was really like, but guys in his position can become locker room cancers and it seems like he was anything but.

Duke fans will, hopefully, always be part of the Cam Fam. Good luck, kid.

nmduke2001
04-12-2019, 10:16 AM
I'm exaggerating, of course. Maybe not EVERY drive. But I swear I heard him shout it at least once a game. Although, I suppose that IS a pretty "NBA" thing to do. I think RJ is mentally strong enough to handle anything, honestly.

My wife and I got so tired of him yelling it on the drive and then missing the free throw that we said he should start yelling AFTER he makes the free throw.

Avvocato
04-12-2019, 10:54 AM
I hope that as time passes we'll be able to appreciate Cam's freshman year, his only year, for what it was rather than what it was compared to his mega-watt teammates Zion and RJ.

In the one-and-done Duke era, we have perhaps gotten used to freshmen being able to come in and play heavy minutes and produce. That's what Cam did...36 games (35 starts), 30 mpg, 13.5 ppg. In general, I think we all feel he played good defense, perhaps not great considering his pedestrian +/- (i know, not the greatest stat).

I think where expectations got in the way of reality was the shooting. Everyone thought he'd be the guy who kept defenses from packing the paint on us, but his shooting numbers just weren't what we all hoped they'd be...36% from the field, 33% from 3 on a team leading 7.5 attempts per game. He shot well from the line (77%) but only got to the line 3 times per game. Perhaps part of that was his loose handle which kept him from being an effective penetrator and contributed to another achilles heal, a 16.6% turnover %.

But, his usage was the 3rd highest on the team so the kid came in, competed, and gave us a lot. Without the expectations, we'd be thinking he just had a heck of a debut. But, he had one legendary freshman teammate, and a second all-time great freshman teammate.

I also remember that he seemed like a humble, well-mannered, quiet kid who didn't appear to resent his more well-publicized teammates and was happy to be one-of-the-guys. I am not sure if that's what he was really like, but guys in his position can become locker room cancers and it seems like he was anything but.

Couldn't agree more. In a prior world, Cam's freshman year would have been tremendous, and we would be expecting him to step up like Grayson Allen's sophomore year. His skills are evident. As Billy Dat mentioned, he played hard all the time, especially on defense, even when his offense struggled. Not a common trait, especially with freshman star players. I also loved that he never seemed to be bothered by the attention his teammates got, or even being relegated to a third option. He seemed to really take to being part of the team. The criticisms of his game this year have been valid. However, he has all of the tools for the next level. We've already seen the desire and ability to play man to man defense. He has a great stroke. It's still puzzling to me that not as many went in. He has made big baskets this year. He has the step back jumper, the pull-up jumper, and can finish with crazy english around the rim (just getting there was always the issue). I loved having him be on the team, being a part of Duke, and I wish him all the best. As a Knick fan, while my prayers are for us to get the #1 pick, I'm preparing for us to fall to #5. I'd be happy to have Cam join us and help us save us from ourselves.

dukelifer
04-12-2019, 12:03 PM

Cam had an excellent Freshman year and the NBA’s “draft on potential mentality” indicates that he needs to make this step. All components of his offensive game are works in progress. I cannot say right now what aspect of his game is elite or will become so. Of the OAD players, Ingram may be closest to Cam in terms of the lack of elite skill set but awesome potential and he has begun to develop his game. However, Ingram is a bit longer and maybe showed a little more consistency as a scorer and driver than Cam while at Duke. It is all in Cam’s hands to make the necessary adjustments. Hopefully the team that drafts him will be patient.

JNort
04-12-2019, 12:06 PM
It's not that bold. I've heard multiple NBA talk guys mention Cam having the most upside (yes even more than Zion). His size, defense, athleticism, shooting form, and age are very desirable. Just clean up his decision making and sloppy turnovers. He probably has the safest floor.

arnie
04-12-2019, 12:26 PM
It's not that bold. I've heard multiple NBA talk guys mention Cam having the most upside (yes even more than Zion). His size, defense, athleticism, shooting form, and age are very desirable. Just clean up his decision making and sloppy turnovers. He probably has the safest floor.

So you think he has a greater upside and safer floor than Zion? That would make him the No. 1 pick in this draft and one of the greatest 1 picks ever?

uh_no
04-12-2019, 12:31 PM
So you think he has a greater upside and safer floor than Zion? That would make him the No. 1 pick in this draft and one of the greatest 1 picks ever?

that's quite the straw man you got there.

Acymetric
04-12-2019, 12:39 PM

I don't see how he could have more upside than Zion...Zion's upside is essentially "most physically gifted player to ever play the game".

I (somewhat) agree that Cam might have the safest floor, although I don't see it as especially higher than Zion's and it might not be higher at all.

NSDukeFan
04-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Why would Cam have the safest floor? Didn’t Zion and R.J. show that they are ready for the NBA right now? Wouldn’t Cam’s floor be a long, athletic player who can defend, but not be an all-conference college player?

flyingdutchdevil
04-12-2019, 01:35 PM

NBA folks were saying this pre-season, when Cam was thought to have the highest upside. During the season, and especially post-season, no one is saying that.

Steven43
04-12-2019, 01:43 PM
OTOH, there may be some veteran players who very quickly tire of him (RJ) shouting "And 1!" after every drive to the hoop. I can see him taking his share of hard fouls.

In fairness, R.J. did get hit quite a lot on shots near the basket, most of which went uncalled.

Dukehk
04-12-2019, 01:53 PM
In fairness, R.J. did get hit quite a lot on shots near the basket, most of which went uncalled.

Part of the reason why we lost that game. Someone said that out of all the tournament games, our game against msu was the one with the LEAST foul calls.

Amazes me and I wouldn't be surprised if the referees were somehow inclined to whistle it that way. Plenty of dirty referees around.

Steven43
04-12-2019, 01:54 PM

Hmmm, I don’t know which publications you’ve been reading or which radio shows and/or podcasts you’ve been hearing, but I have not heard even one NBA person say Cam has more upside than Zion (or even R.J., for that matter). However, I have heard many of them say that Cam would completely disappear for long stretches of games to such a degree that you didn’t even realize he was still on the court. And quite a few of those same commentators have also said they consider him to be a risky pick in the top 10 and considerably more so in the top 5. But hey, your thoughts on Cam’s upside might turn out to be true. We’ll see.

Steven43
04-12-2019, 02:06 PM
Part of the reason why we lost that game. Someone said that out of all the tournament games, our game against msu was the one with the LEAST foul calls.

Amazes me and I wouldn't be surprised if the referees were somehow inclined to whistle it that way. Plenty of dirty referees around.

Yeah, the Duke v MSU game was somewhat of an officiating travesty. Very strange how few fouls were called. It does make you wonder if something nefarious was going on.

KandG
04-12-2019, 02:28 PM

All of the above, very well said.

I know Cam was inconsistent and a bit quiet, maybe so quiet on the court relative to Zion and RJ that it led even seasoned media to overlook the good things he did in big moments for the team. Seth Davis wrote after the UCF game that the three Cam made to cut UCF's lead to 74-73 was his first big moment outside of FSU.

In addition to UCF, I remember:

* Seven of Duke's last 11 points against Texas Tech, including a big three pointer that gave us a decisive two possession lead in a game that had been tight throughout.

* Ten of Duke's last 14 points against Louisville, bringing us from down 57-66 to winning the game 71-69.

* Six of Duke's last 9 points against Florida State, including that big game winner Billy Dat and others have mentioned.

I can't wait to see Cam succeed at the next level after the inevitable growing pains. I suspect he may be like Brandon Ingram, spotty with his handle and shot in the first season, but continually developing into a quality player that really shines by year 2 or 3 in the NBA (as long as he doesn't end up in a dysfunctional team situation).

Billy Dat
04-12-2019, 03:29 PM
Seth Davis wrote after the UCF game that the three Cam made to cut UCF's lead to 74-73 was his first big moment outside of FSU.
* Seven of Duke's last 11 points against Texas Tech, including a big three pointer that gave us a decisive two possession lead in a game that had been tight throughout.
* Ten of Duke's last 14 points against Louisville, bringing us from down 57-66 to winning the game 71-69.
* Six of Duke's last 9 points against Florida State, including that big game winner Billy Dat and others have mentioned.

That 3 he hit against UCF was huge, I knew I remembered a shot like that late in the year but for some reason I thought it was during the UNC game in the ACC Tournament (I was wrong).

Thanks for providing all of this detail. While I don't advocate revisionist history, once a kid leaves I do try and focus on the big positive moments. As the, arguably, 4th banana on this year's squad, I think this is a pretty good collection, even if the in-between moments weren't as consistent as we would have liked.

kako
04-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Count me among the folks that think Cam would improve his game and draft stock if he stayed in school another year.

Count me also as one who would love to be proven dead wrong.

If his draft stock falls, that can benefit him by going to a better team. The Warriors, for example, would love to have a guy like him. 3 and D.

The big 3's he hit vs. FSU, Ville and UCF will always be remembered. Thanks, and best of luck in the NBA.

9F

Reddevil
04-12-2019, 03:38 PM

I'd bet you a pie, but I may not be living in 15 years to pay up or receive. Who knows, but I hope they are both a big deal. Thank you Cam!

JNort
04-12-2019, 03:45 PM
NBA folks were saying this pre-season, when Cam was thought to have the highest upside. During the season, and especially post-season, no one is saying that.

Just heard it being said within the last week or so on several NBA pods

Steven43
04-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Yeah, this one season at Duke exposed a considerable number of serious holes in his game. If anything, playing in the NBA will dramatically magnify those weaknesses. I find it hard to believe that NBA people would think these things are going to get fixed just because he enters the League. That’s a lot of wishful thinking for a high draft pick. People get fired over missing on high picks.

I think this really is a case where staying another year or two at Duke would have been the smarter long-term career route. Kind of like Grayson Allen, who had he entered the draft after his freshman year would have been a first-round pick, but would quite possibly have washed out of the League by now and be playing in Europe. I’m concerned that might well happen to Cam.

Stray Gator
04-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Yeah, the Duke v MSU game was somewhat of an officiating travesty. Very strange how few fouls were called. It does make you wonder if something nefarious was going on.

I haven't the Vegas idea what you are implying.

Steven43
04-12-2019, 04:31 PM

Nice one. That’s pretty funny. But seriously, that game was officiated in such a strange way. Just really weird.

devildeac
04-12-2019, 04:36 PM

Oh dear, it's even spread to the mods now.

Steven43
04-12-2019, 05:25 PM
You know, I’m sorry to sound harsh on Cam. I really like him and want him to succeed in the NBA and to be happy. I hope he gets with a team that will give him consistent minutes because that’s what he really needs — to play a LOT. At Duke he would have gotten all the minutes he would have wanted and then some. I’m worried about him. He seems like such a nice young man. I wish the Spurs could somehow get him. Fingers crossed for Cam.

BD80
04-12-2019, 06:44 PM

And behind his pseudonymous screen name, Coach K smiles.

WillJ
04-12-2019, 07:58 PM
Cam has some holes in his game, but he could turn out to be a really good pro, IMO. Jarrett Culver and RJ both have holes in their games, too. Their stories are mainly still to be written. I wish them all luck.