PDA

View Full Version : 2019 NBA Playoffs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

wilson
04-11-2019, 05:00 PM
Time to crank this one up. To me, this year's playoffs look like a bit of a script-flip vis-à-vis the last ~5 years: instead of the Warriors being the best overall team and having a tough West to fight through with Cleveland clearly topping a weak East, it’s now Golden State topping a weak(er) West (though I don’t think this GS is as good as their best vintages), and the East the deeper conference in my opinion, plus I don’t think it would be outlandish to call Milwaukee the best team in the league over the Warriors.
It’ll also be interesting to see who, if anyone, gels and has good team performances...fractured chemistry has been something of a league theme this season.
Lastly, a nice Duke-related tidbit from ESPN.com’s playoff preview. Under “Get to Know” for the Warriors, the Worldwide Leader lists Quinn Cook, praising his team play and strong shooting and concluding that “Cook has the ability to be a difference-maker in short bursts.”
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26297350/everything-know-opening-round-2019-nba-playoffs#warriors

My picks: The Warriors get tested by Denver and perhaps a nudge (if not a push) from Houston in the Conference Semis, and the Bucks take a brawl of a series over Toronto in the Eastern Conference Finals. Ultimately, I think the Warriors are still better than everyone else and they take the Finals in 6. But I also think their margin atop the league is narrowing and could be gone as soon as next season.

pfrduke
04-11-2019, 05:25 PM
Duke players on playoff teams (not 100% sure everyone will be on the postseason roster):

Golden State - Quinn Cook
Denver - Mason Plumlee
Portland - Seth Curry, Rodney Hood, Gary Trent
Houston - Austin Rivers, Trevon Duval
Utah - Grayson Allen

Philadelphia - J.J. Redick
Boston - Kyrie Irving, Jayson Tatum, Semi Ojeleye*
Orlando - Amile Jefferson
Detroit - Luke Kennard

*I know, I know, I've heard all the arguments. He played at Duke.

fc3
04-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Happy to have the Nuggets in the playoffs, really like their team and their style, and having a Plumlee is an added bonus. But I think they will be tested by any team with veterans and playoff experience, and a savvy head coach. IE, I am not optimistic that they will make it past the Spurs in the first round.

The Jazz seem to fly below the radar due to lack of superstar talent (and location?) but they could give any team they encounter trouble.

Overall with the exception of the clippers, I think any of the lower seeds in the Western conference has a chance at pushing through to the finals but no one is beating Golden State.

Don't watch as much Eastern conference but looking to see if the Bucks can keep their regular season success rolling.

NSDukeFan
04-11-2019, 06:36 PM
LeBron may have coasted through the regular season but now it’s playoff time and no one wants to face him now.

Ummmm...wait a minute.

Skydog
04-11-2019, 08:19 PM
Happy to have the Nuggets in the playoffs, really like their team and their style, and having a Plumlee is an added bonus. But I think they will be tested by any team with veterans and playoff experience, and a savvy head coach. IE, I am not optimistic that they will make it past the Spurs in the first round.

Against everyone in the WC but the Warriors the Nuggets have the home court advantage. That's a big deal for any team - but it's gigantic for the Nuggets because of the altitude differential. Denver was 34-7 at home this season, best in the NBA. As for the Spurs - Pops is a genius but they were 16-25 on the road this season.

JasonEvans
04-12-2019, 11:59 AM
First round picks:

Milwaukee (60-22) vs Detroit (41-41): Has a 60-win team ever lost to a team that was not above .500? Milwaukee won all 4 regular season matchups. Bucks in 4.

Toronto (58-24) vs Orlando (42-40): I saw some dude on ESPN pick Orlando this morning. He might be on drugs. It is worth noting that Orlando did really well against good teams and poorer than expected against bad teams this year an that they went 2-2 against the Raptors during the regular season. But there is a reason Kawhi is one of the 5 best players in the game. Raptors in 6.

Philly (51-31) vs Brooklyn (42-40): What a great story that the Nets made the playoffs for the first time in 139 years. I think they will show more than just being happy to be here. I suspect this is where folks start really talking about how limited Ben Simmons is because of his shooting. 76ers in 7.

Boston (49-33) vs Indiana (48-34): Team dysfunction vs Team Noladipo. If their best player was playing, I might be tempted to take Indiana because it sure feels like Boston is trying to tear itself apart. But without him, I just don't see it, even with Marcus Smart missing for Boston (I think he is their 4th most important player). Celtics in 6.

Golden St (57-25) vs LA Clippers (48-34): I figured LA would make the playoffs, but not this LA team. The Clippers have a really bright future with a good cap situation and some fine young pieces... but the Warriors are the present and I suspect they will really turn it on once the playoffs start. Warriors with the sweep.

Denver (54-28) vs Spurs (48-34): Full credit to Pops for getting this team to 48 wins. Really impressive. But I think Denver is on a mission to announce themselves to the league. Nuggets in 5.

Portland (53-29) vs OKC (49-33): Upset time! The Thunder won all 4 of the regular season matchups between these two teams and clearly have the two best players on either team. Thunder in 6.

Houston (53-29) vs Utah (50-32): I love the Jazz and want to pick them, but Houston went 20-3 down the stretch and are arguably playing the best ball of any team in the league. Rockets in 5.

-Jason "sorta dull, I know.. sorry, that is just how I see it" Evans

luburch
04-12-2019, 01:04 PM
My playoff predictions:

East Round 1:
76ers over the Nets in 6
Raptors over the Magic in 4
Celtics over the Pacers in 6
Bucks over the Pistons in 5

West Round 1:
Warriors over the Clippers in 4
Nuggets over the Spurs in 6
Thunder over the Blazers in 7
Rockets over the Jazz in 6

East Round 2:
Toronto over the 76ers in 6
Bucks over the Celtics in 7

West Round 2:
Warriors over Houston in 5
Thunder over the Nuggets in 7

East Round 3:
Toronto over the Bucks in 7

West Round 4:
Warriors over the Thunder in 6

Finals:
Warriors over Toronto in 6

bullettoothtony
04-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Duke players on playoff teams (not 100% sure everyone will be on the postseason roster):

Denver - Mason Plumlee
Utah - Grayson Allen

Detroit - Luke Kennard

Just about every time I see Semi I think about the article detailing that supposedly bizarre meeting/encounter between Coach K and Semi's parents.

Anyway, the playoffs... very much looking forward to them. And to watching Inside the NBA five nights a week, as it's obviously the greatest show in television history.

JasonEvans
04-12-2019, 02:48 PM
My playoff predictions:

East Round 1:
76ers over the Nets in 6 *
Raptors over the Magic in 4 *
Celtics over the Pacers in 6 *
Bucks over the Pistons in 5

West Round 1:
Warriors over the Clippers in 4 *
Nuggets over the Spurs in 6 *
Thunder over the Blazers in 7 *
Rockets over the Jazz in 6 *

East Round 2:
Toronto over the 76ers in 6 *

West Round 2:
Thunder over the Nuggets in 7 *

East Round 3:
Toronto over the Bucks in 7 *

West Round 4:
Warriors over the Thunder in 6 *

Finals:
Warriors over Toronto in 6 *

*= games where road team wins elimination game

You must hate home crowds.

bundabergdevil
04-12-2019, 03:06 PM
First round picks:

Philly (51-31) vs Brooklyn (42-40): What a great story that the Nets made the playoffs for the first time in 139 years. I think they will show more than just being happy to be here. I suspect this is where folks start really talking about how limited Ben Simmons is because of his shooting. 76ers in 7.

Not before they figure out what the hell is going on with Joel Embiid. Here's an article titled, What the Hell is Going on with Joel Embiid (https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/csn/sixers/What_the_hell_is_going_on_with_Joel_Embiid__PHI-508416322.html) that explains it.

In all seriousness, Philadelphia sports radio is politely, in very reasonable terms talking about Ben Simmons' shooting woes in earnest. The 76ers have just had a bizarre series of events with Hinkie and The Process, Embiid's early injuries, Simmons' early injury and long-range shooting reticence, Markelle Fultz and his issues...just a bunch of weird stuff.

If Embiid doesn't play, I think the 76ers can be had by the Nets (or any team). They're just not the same and despite the talent of the starting 5, they've not quite unlocked all the potential.

Billy Dat
04-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Zach Lowe and David Thorpe breaking down every series in 8 minute increments on The Lowe Post pod
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=26500910

dudog84
04-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread and figured this was as good a place as any.

Luke Walton out with the Lakers.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-coach-luke-walton-fired-20190412-story.html

Will LeBron's rep as a coach-killer hurt his legacy? Probably not. I thought Walton did ok, even pretty good, considering what the front office gave him.

bundabergdevil
04-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread and figured this was as good a place as any.

Luke Walton out with the Lakers.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-coach-luke-walton-fired-20190412-story.html

Will LeBron's rep as a coach-killer hurt his legacy? Probably not. I thought Walton did ok, even pretty good, considering what the front office gave him.

Hah. Maybe Magic and Luke just wanted to free up more time to be in the Space Jam reboot. Hear they’re having trouble getting big names. Yeesh, what a mess.

jimmymax
04-12-2019, 05:15 PM

Yep, and in more games than Kyrie.

Reilly
04-12-2019, 10:26 PM

Denver - Mason Plumlee
Utah - Grayson Allen

Detroit - Luke Kennard

NBA Commissioner - Adam Silver

Boston - Steve Pagliuca (managing partner)
Philadelphia - Elton Brand (GM), Lindsey Harding (scout), Alaa Abdelnaby (color commentator)
Indiana - David McClure (asst coach for player development)

Denver - Martynas Pocius (basketball operations assistant)
Utah - Quin Snyder (head coach), Antonio Lang (assistant coach)
San Antonio - Chip Engelland (assistant coach)

CrazyNotCrazie
04-12-2019, 10:39 PM
NBA Commissioner - Adam Silver

Boston - Steve Pagliuca (managing partner)
Philadelphia - Elton Brand (GM), Lindsey Harding (scout), Alaa Abdelnaby (color commentator)
Indiana - David McClure (asst coach for player development)

Denver - Martynas Pocius (basketball operations assistant)
Utah - Quin Snyder (head coach), Antonio Lang (assistant coach)
San Antonio - Chip Engelland (assistant coach)

Brooklyn - Trajan Langdon (asst GM), Jim Spanarkel (TV analyst)

Steven43
04-12-2019, 11:25 PM

The Jazz seem to fly below the radar due to lack of superstar talent (and location?) but they could give any team they encounter trouble.

Overall with the exception of the clippers, I think any of the lower seeds in the Western conference has a chance at pushing through to the finals but no one is beating Golden State.

Don't watch as much Eastern conference but looking to see if the Bucks can keep their regular season success rolling.

The Nuggets are really good and should beat the Spurs in 5 games.

The Jazz are probably one of the top 6 or 7 teams in the league and are led by three very solid players in Rudy Gobert, Donovan Mitchell, and Ricky Rubio as well as one of the five best coaches in the NBA (and the next Duke coach), Quin Snyder. It’s really unfortunate that they have to play the Houston Rockets in the first round. They’re going to need a couple of breaks to go their way if they’re going to beat the Rockets.

And as far as no one beating Golden State goes, I think the Rockets could very well shock the sports world by taking out the Warriors in the second round. Wouldn’t be at all surprising to me.

awhom111
04-12-2019, 11:57 PM

Denver - Mason Plumlee
Utah - Grayson Allen

Detroit - Luke Kennard

Trevon and Amile did not have their contracts converted so they cannot play. I do believe that they are still allowed to be around the team and practice.

The Blazers have 14 healthy players so we will see which player they do not dress or if they rotate a lot. Trent and Simons have been with the team all season, but with a lack of post depth they may want to dress Labissiere for emergencies.

JNort
04-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Time to crank this one up. To me, this year's playoffs look like a bit of a script-flip vis-à-vis the last ~5 years: instead of the Warriors being the best overall team and having a tough West to fight through with Cleveland clearly topping a weak East, it’s now Golden State topping a weak(er) West (though I don’t think this GS is as good as their best vintages), and the East the deeper conference in my opinion, plus I don’t think it would be outlandish to call Milwaukee the best team in the league over the Warriors.
It’ll also be interesting to see who, if anyone, gels and has good team performances...fractured chemistry has been something of a league theme this season.
Lastly, a nice Duke-related tidbit from ESPN.com’s playoff preview. Under “Get to Know” for the Warriors, the Worldwide Leader lists Quinn Cook, praising his team play and strong shooting and concluding that “Cook has the ability to be a difference-maker in short bursts.”
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26297350/everything-know-opening-round-2019-nba-playoffs#warriors

My picks: The Warriors get tested by Denver and perhaps a nudge (if not a push) from Houston in the Conference Semis, and the Bucks take a brawl of a series over Toronto in the Eastern Conference Finals. Ultimately, I think the Warriors are still better than everyone else and they take the Finals in 6. But I also think their margin atop the league is narrowing and could be gone as soon as next season.

The LeBron-less east should be exciting and I fully expect the Raptors to come out on top. Too many people are sleeping on them I think.

The Warriors are too stacked for the west to matter and they will make the finals again.

Warriors over Raptors or anyone else in the finals 4-1

JNort
04-13-2019, 10:27 AM
My playoff predictions:

East Round 1:
76ers over the Nets in 6
Raptors over the Magic in 4
Celtics over the Pacers in 7
Bucks over the Pistons in 4

West Round 1:
Warriors over the Clippers in 4
Nuggets over the Spurs in 6
Thunder over the Blazers in 7
Rockets over the Jazz in 6

East Round 2:
Toronto over the 76ers in 6

West Round 2:
Thunder over the Nuggets in 6

East Round 3:
Toronto over the Bucks in 5

West Round 4:
Warriors over the Thunder in 4

Finals:
Warriors over Toronto in 5

bundabergdevil
04-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Fivethirtyeight's projections (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-nba-predictions/)for the NBA play-offs. No surprise the Warriors remain the overwhelming favorites. Raptors slightly ahead of Bucks for coming out of the East.

Joel Embiid listed as doubtful for today's game. Haven't seen an official diagnosis but discussion of tendonitis in his left knee. Given his injury history and size, I wonder about Embiid's longevity. There's a lot of speculation about this in Philly and belief that Embiid's potential short shelf life is why the 76ers went out and got Butler and Tobias Harris. They have a short window and need to win now before Embiid declines too much.

YmoBeThere
04-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Fivethirtyeight's projections (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-nba-predictions/)for the NBA play-offs.

No surprise to see the Spurs with a 1 in 8 shot of advancing in the playoffs. Just not enough talent on the team. What might have been. They'll continue to coax enough out of what they have to make the playoffs as long as Pop is around, 22 years and counting. I think the city populace recognizes this and are slowly moving on accordingly.

Troublemaker
04-13-2019, 01:55 PM
Warriors over Raptors in 7. Thought hard about Raptors over Warriors in 6.

devildeac
04-13-2019, 02:26 PM
Warriors over Raptors in 7. Thought hard about Raptors over Warriors in 6.

Paging richardjackson199...

"I'll take the Warriors right now to win these NBA Playoffs. You get the field. Winner gets a pie. Anybody wanna play?" (quoted from rj himself in post #3 in Ymm, Pie) ;)

richardjackson199
04-13-2019, 02:59 PM
Paging richardjackson199...

"I'll take the Warriors right now to win these NBA Playoffs. You get the field. Winner gets a pie. Anybody wanna play?" (quoted from rj himself in post #3 in Ymm, Pie) ;)

Getting no action on that bet proves how lame the NBA Playoffs are compared to the NCAAT. And the NBA obviously has a much, much higher level of basketball. The NCAAT gets great ratings because the sudden death nature of every game creates so much drama and suspense.

The playoffs by contrast are just starting and the only real question is how many games it will take the Warriors to win each series. That they will win it all is a foregone conclusion unless they suffer a serious injury. The Warriors could spot 2 games to the Clippers and still have no worries in that series. They're just too good and they're going to win. Yawn.

richardjackson199
04-13-2019, 03:05 PM

Denver - Mason Plumlee
Utah - Grayson Allen

Detroit - Luke Kennard

Go Jazz. I'd love to see Quinn Synder pull that upset. Grayson could also see some PT and make some good contributions. Go Quinn Cook. And go all the other Dukies as well.

Troublemaker
04-13-2019, 03:24 PM
Getting no action on that bet proves how lame the NBA Playoffs are compared to the NCAAT.

I didn't see the offer, but fyi, the Warriors are definitely a strong favorite against the field. At most books, you can get close to 2 to 1 to bet on GSW *not* winning it all. So, a 1-for-1 pie bet isn't fair :-)

devildeac
04-13-2019, 03:34 PM
I didn't see the offer, but fyi, the Warriors are definitely a strong favorite against the field. At most books, you can get close to 2 to 1 to bet on GSW *not* winning it all. So, a 1-for-1 pie bet isn't fair :-)

Maybe I should change my name to TroublemakerII for stirring this pot...

(Oops, I mean soup or stew as I've learned I should not use the word "pot" if/when richardjackson199 is involved :p.)

richardjackson199
04-13-2019, 03:47 PM

538 had Golden State's odds of winning the finals at 58%. Vegas sees them as even significantly higher than that. Lame. Hopefully Durant leaves that team this offseason.

richardjackson199
04-13-2019, 03:49 PM

(Oops, I mean soup or stew as I've learned I should not use the word "pot" if/when richardjackson199 is involved :p.)

Just make sure your beer is stirred and not shaken, Troublemaker 2. :cool:

Steven43
04-13-2019, 04:07 PM
538 had Golden State's odds of winning the finals at 58%. Vegas sees them as even significantly higher than that. Lame. Hopefully Durant leaves that team this offseason.

Houston really could take them out in the second round. If the Rockets had the home-court advantage I think they would win a prospective series with the Warriors. But they don’t have it. If they could steal game one or two in Oakland they’ll probably win the series.

Steven43
04-13-2019, 04:08 PM
Caris Lavert is back!! 16 points off the bench in the first half as the Nets lead the 76ers by 8 in Philadelphia.

richardjackson199
04-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Houston really could take them out in the second round. If the Rockets had the home-court advantage I think they would win a prospective series with the Warriors. But they don’t have it. If they could steal game one or two in Oakland they’ll probably win the series.

But the Jazz could also take out the Rockets in the first round. Go Grayson and go Quin Snyder!

Warriors roll. Best backcourt. (Quinn Cook). Duke is never the underdog. nuff said. ;)

Steven43
04-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Redick with a really nice 3 from a difficult position,

Steven43
04-13-2019, 04:15 PM
But the Jazz could also take out the Rockets in the first round. Go Grayson and go Quinn Snyder!

You’re definitely right. Utah very well could win that series, and I hope they do. I simply cannot stand James Harden’s game, I love Grayson, and I’m a huge fan of Quin Snyder, Duke’s next head coach.

BD80
04-13-2019, 04:55 PM

Do I sense a pot pie bet?

bundabergdevil
04-13-2019, 05:03 PM
Tough day for JJ. 5 points and just fouled out. The booing has begun in Philadelphia. Embiid looks like the opposite of whatever spry is.

jimsumner
04-13-2019, 06:19 PM
The booing has begun in Philadelphia.

Santa Claus must be there.

devildeac
04-13-2019, 06:21 PM
Santa Claus must be there.

Or Mike Schmidt...

NSDukeFan
04-13-2019, 07:44 PM
Or Mike Schmidt...

They never booed Mike Schmidt, did they?

darthur
04-13-2019, 07:46 PM

Well I definitely don't agree with that. If we use 538 to rank the best 8 teams in conference (definitely the west seeds don't seem in order) and play against each other, it gives:

Warriors > Raptors
Rockets < Bucks
Nuggets > 76ers
Thunder > Celtics
Jazz > Pacers
Blazers > Pistons
Spurs > Nets
Clippers < Magic

West wins 6-2. What would you argue with here? If anything I'd say Warriors > Bucks > Rockets > Raptors, making it 7-1. Just like last year, I think people are too high on the Raptors and so far they are proving that.

As a Warriors fan, I definitely see the Rockets and the Bucks as the biggest threats.

YmoBeThere
04-13-2019, 08:00 PM
...Quin Snyder, Duke’s next head coach.

Just becauae you keep typing this doesn't make it true...

richardjackson199
04-13-2019, 08:04 PM
Do I sense a pot pie bet?

Now that is a great idea. I think that Grand Traverse website does have chicken pot pies. I gotta find a way to bet devildeac one of those! :cool:

Steven43
04-13-2019, 08:14 PM
Well I definitely don't agree with that. If we use 538 to rank the best 8 teams in conference (definitely the west seeds don't seem in order) and play against each other, it gives:

Warriors > Raptors
Rockets < Bucks
Nuggets > 76ers
Thunder > Celtics
Jazz > Pacers
Blazers > Pistons
Spurs > Nets
Clippers < Magic

West wins 6-2. What would you argue with here? If anything I'd say Warriors > Bucks > Rockets > Raptors, making it 7-1. Just like last year, I think people are too high on the Raptors and so far they are proving that.

As a Warriors fan, I definitely see the Rockets and the Bucks as the biggest threats.

The Thunder are not better than the Celtics and the Spurs are not better than the Nets.

Steven43
04-13-2019, 08:27 PM

You’ll see. Just remember this when it happens.

Troublemaker
04-13-2019, 10:17 PM

Warriors > Raptors
Rockets < Bucks
Nuggets > 76ers
Thunder > Celtics
Jazz > Pacers
Blazers > Pistons
Spurs > Nets
Clippers < Magic

I think it's more that poop happens in Game 1s sometimes. Toronto is GSW's biggest threat and can be terrifying defensively, imo.

Orlando was one of the hottest teams in the league down the stretch and very well could make this a long series, though.

Let's just be happy that he's off Brad Stevens.

Quin is known to prefer the NBA life much better than college. Plus, Gobert and Mitchell are so young.

Quin is more a K+2 candidate than K+1.

darthur
04-13-2019, 10:35 PM
The Thunder are not better than the Celtics and the Spurs are not better than the Nets.

Well I definitely don't agree with the latter part, but I personally think these playoffs are pretty exciting. A lot of the teams seem pretty close. I have no idea who's coming out of the east or who will be other team in the WCF. Even the Warriors could legitimately lose in R2 vs the Rockets.

The Warriors look good in Game 1, but Cousins was just awful -- worst player on the floor for the Warriors.

devildeac
04-13-2019, 10:50 PM

It appears they did:

"...I wouldn't call it a daily occurrence, because there were days you'd get a single the first time up, and you made all the plays, and you were leading in the ballgame, and you didn't strike out with the bases loaded and it was sort of a carefree game. On the opposite side of that, there were periods where everybody knew you were 0-for your last 20 at-bats, and you'd kind of been leaving the runner on second base pretty regularly and the Phillies weren't scoring, a guy like me in the middle of the batting order could be the brunt of negativism from the crowd."

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story/_/page/neumann-110617_mike_schmidt/sportCat/mlb

devildeac
04-13-2019, 10:55 PM
Now that is a great idea. I think that Grand Traverse website does have chicken pot pies. I gotta find a way to bet devildeac one of those! :cool:

Yes, they do. Grand Traverse makes great pies.

I know you've sent and received a few pies in the last year or two but I'm still waiting on my consult fee..

;)

Steven43
04-13-2019, 11:05 PM
Let's just be happy that he's off Brad Stevens.

Brad Stevens was always a hope, nothing more. I never said otherwise.

Quin is different.

Steven43
04-14-2019, 01:24 AM
Well I definitely don't agree with the latter part, but I personally think these playoffs are pretty exciting. A lot of the teams seem pretty close. I have no idea who's coming out of the east or who will be other team in the WCF. Even the Warriors could legitimately lose in R2 vs the Rockets.

The Warriors look good in Game 1, but Cousins was just awful -- worst player on the floor for the Warriors.

You might be right about the Spurs. They looked comfortable and confident throughout. Likewise, the Nets played quite well in Philly. Nets v Spurs would be a tough series, but I think I’d go with the Spurs after seeing what they did in Denver tonight. I was stunned by all three road team victories. What the heck is happening?

NSDukeFan
04-14-2019, 06:26 AM
You might be right about the Spurs. They looked comfortable and confident throughout. Likewise, the Nets played quite well in Philly. Nets v Spurs would be a tough series, but I think I’d go with the Spurs after seeing what they did in Denver tonight. I was stunned by all three road team victories. What the heck is happening?

Anything can happen in one game. 😢😭. Too soon.

Troublemaker
04-14-2019, 09:46 AM

None were all that surprising, imo. (Wish we had a Degenerates NBA Playoff contest :-)

Game 1 Spurs win was the classic experience vs inexperience game. Would still be very surprised if Denver lost the series once they settle in.

Game 1 76ers loss was about Philly being out of sync from the uncertainty of Embiid's return from injury and being out of sync in general, not having had enough time to gel with their Big 4/5 yet. This should be a long series.

Game 1 Magic win was about Orlando playing very well heading into the playoffs and then shooting very well in Game 1. Still would be shocked if Toronto lost the series.

Reilly
04-14-2019, 10:35 AM
... was stunned by all three road team victories. What the heck is happening?

... Would still be very surprised if Denver lost the series ... Still would be shocked if Toronto lost the series.

From www.basketball-reference.com:

"Winners of Game 1 at home in the current 2-2-1-1-1 format go on to win their series 86.6% of the time. The Golden State Warriors were the lone home winner last night.

Winners of Game 1 on the road in the current format go on to win their series 52.2% of the time. San Antonio, Brooklyn and Orlando all won their Game 1's as the away team yesterday.

See more about historical 7-game playoff series results on Basketball-Reference.com."

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/7-game-playoff-series-outcomes-22111.html?utm_source=Stathead&utm_campaign=017eba3eb8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_04_14_01_59&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d63d7393a0-017eba3eb8-448515649

Steven43
04-14-2019, 10:44 AM
None were all that surprising, imo. (Wish we had a Degenerates NBA Playoff contest :-)

Game 1 Spurs win was the classic experience vs inexperience game. Would still be very surprised if Denver lost the series once they settle in.

Game 1 76ers loss was about Philly being out of sync from the uncertainty of Embiid's return from injury and being out of sync in general, not having had enough time to gel with their Big 4/5 yet. This should be a long series.

Game 1 Magic win was about Orlando playing very well heading into the playoffs and then shooting very well in Game 1. Still would be shocked if Toronto lost the series.
I get all of that and, yes, it’s only Game One, but I still thought it was fairly shocking to see three road-team victories on the first day of the playoffs. When was the last time that happened?

YmoBeThere
04-14-2019, 11:02 AM
I only watched the Spurs Nuggets last night. I'm sure there are more advanced stats that might provide better insight, but this summed up the evening for me.

Home

3 PT FG %

Away

3 PT FG %

76ers

12.0%

Nets

42.3%

Raptors

33.3%

Magic

48.3%

Warriors

46.7%

Clippers
36.7%

Nuggets

21.8%

Spurs

46.7%

DukieInBrasil
04-14-2019, 05:05 PM

Quinn had his chance at Mizzou and got mired in ethics scandals, which is why he ditched college and went to the NBA. I doubt he wants to go back to NCAA coaching and i doubt Duke wants him.

Steven43
04-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Are you suggesting something Quin did at Missouri forever disqualifies him from coaching again in college, and more specifically at Duke? If so, what are these terrible things Quin did?

YmoBeThere
04-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Are you suggesting something Quin did at Missouri forever disqualifies him from coaching again in college, and more specifically at Duke? If so, what are these terrible things Quin did?

Google is your friend. Ultimately, learning and knowledge is a process of self-discovery.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Google is your friend. Ultimately, learning and knowledge is a process of self-discovery.

That's true, on the facts, but Google will not answer the questions directed at you, the opinion questions.

darthur
04-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Bucks looking very good and Pistons looking very bad (but without Blake Griffin). After also watching Indiana, I stick with my belief that the East really isn't deep at all. :) Milwaukee and Boston are excellent defensive teams for sure, but even so...
At least Luke has played well!

Surprised Milwaukee isn't getting more love here.

And blech to speculation about Duke's next coach, feels better to just enjoy what we have both at Duke and on TV right now.

devildeac
04-14-2019, 09:06 PM

I found another story:

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/bmqn4q/throwback-thursday-mike-schmidt-wigs-out-in-philadelphia

"When his name was called in pregame introductions, the fans began to boo, and then they saw him rush onto the field in disguise, looking utterly ridiculous, taking his position at first base and tossing grounders to his teammates while that shaggy wig dragged down his back."

Pretty funny story/article actually.

Steven43
04-14-2019, 10:46 PM
At least Luke has played well!

And blech to speculation about Duke's next coach, feels better to just enjoy what we have both at Duke and on TV right now.

Luke is one my favorite Blue Devils of the past ten years. I really like his game. And he’s been playing pretty well for awhile now. Dude shot 40% from 3-pt range this season. And that’s the NBA line, He probably would have shot 46% for us this year as a senior.

As to you not wanting to speculate about Duke’s next coach....the season is over, man. Did you notice how dead the board was today? Would you rather speculate about our potential starting lineup and how the minutes will be apportioned? Or should we just obsess over current commits as well as the possibility of who might still be coming to Durham with this year’s class as well as who might still leave (Bolden) or transfer (Baker, O’Connell)?

I’m just thankful the playoffs are here. The NBA is better than ever. At least on the court. It’s off the court where the problems are: Anthony Davis and his trade demand fiasco; Kevin Durant with his sullen attitude, fighting with teammates, and free agent destination speculation; Lebron James and his LA lifestyle circus, throwing teammates under the bus, and getting yet another coach fired; Kyrie and, well, I don’t even want to get started on that.

Anyway, the playoffs are going to be epic this year. So many interesting storylines. Yesterday started it off with a bang. And it’s only going to get better as each round arrives. I’ll be watching every chance I get.

Steven43
04-15-2019, 10:21 AM
The game to watch tonight is Brooklyn v Philadelphia at 8:00. The pressure is on the 76ers to win this one, being down 0-1 and with games 3 and 4 in Brooklyn. I hope the Nets win to go up 2-0. Unlikely to happen, though.

Highlander
04-15-2019, 11:01 AM
One interesting stat - should the Celtics win the playoffs, the City of Boston would simultaneously have the world champs in Football, Baseball, and Basketball. I don't think one city has ever held all 3 titles simultaneously. And to be fair, it's unlikely that the Celtics will win this year.

Here's the results of my quick Wikipedia search. I may have missed something b/c seasons don't overlap, so a team could win titles in separate years but still hold all 3 simultaneously.
1968/69 - Mets and Jets (Celtics won NBA)
1970 - Orioles and Colts (Baltimore) (Knicks won NBA)
1979 - Pirates and Steelers (Seattle won NBA)
1986 - Mets and NY Giants (Celtics won NBA)
2004 - Red Sox and Patriots (Pistons won NBA)
2019 - Red Sox and Patriots (???)

-jk
04-15-2019, 05:04 PM
One interesting stat - should the Celtics win the playoffs, the City of Boston would simultaneously have the world champs in Football, Baseball, and Basketball. I don't think one city has ever held all 3 titles simultaneously. And to be fair, it's unlikely that the Celtics will win this year.

Here's the results of my quick Wikipedia search. I may have missed something b/c seasons don't overlap, so a team could win titles in separate years but still hold all 3 simultaneously...

Wouldn't that be like the once-upon-a-time Tiger Slam? (Just a few to go to hold it again!)

:D

-jk

bundabergdevil
04-15-2019, 10:31 PM
Sixers exacting revenge tonight. Put up a 52 point 3rd quarter. J.J. hitting and playing ok D. Got a tech arguing a bad foul. Simmons urging the fans to cheer after calling them out for booing during game 1 (he may not fully get Philly...).

Steven43
04-15-2019, 10:44 PM
Sixers exacting revenge tonight. Put up a 52 point 3rd quarter. J.J. hitting and playing ok D. Got a tech arguing a bad foul. Simmons urging the fans to cheer after calling them out for booing during game 1 (he may not fully get Philly...).

52 points in the third quarter? What??? I had to leave the game at halftime when it was 65-64. What the heck happened in that 3rd quarter?

devildeac
04-15-2019, 10:49 PM

Wait, did Santa attend the game? :rolleyes:

gep
04-16-2019, 12:45 AM
Go Jazz. I'd love to see Quinn Synder pull that upset. Grayson could also see some PT and make some good contributions. Go Quinn Cook. And go all the other Dukies as well.

My heart is with Grayson... pulling out a 2015 "road to the NC" moment.

pfrduke
04-16-2019, 01:32 AM
Warriors-Clippers tonight was amazing. Lou Williams was making everything in the second half. 85 points for the Clippers in the second half en route to a comeback from 31 points down (not a misprint - it was 94-63 GS and the Clips won 135-131)

subzero02
04-16-2019, 05:30 AM
Quite a performance from the other LA squad , but GS has asked that it not be called a comeback; the Clips merely produced an unrequested point surplus.

devildeac
04-16-2019, 07:35 AM
Warriors-Clippers tonight was amazing. Lou Williams was making everything in the second half. 85 points for the Clippers in the second half en route to a comeback from 31 points down (not a misprint - it was 94-63 GS and the Clips won 135-131)

Was Dale Brown guest coach for GS for the second half? :rolleyes:

JasonEvans
04-16-2019, 08:02 AM
The Clippers are going to be one heck of a free agent destination. Lou, Harrell, and SGA are all on very reasonable and favorable deals and they are going to have $80+ mil in cap space. It is not at all unreasonable to think they will get Kawhi and one other top tier free agent which would make them a very real threat to the Warriors. They have managed to both have a bright present and a bright future, which ain't easy in the NBA. Giving the Warriors a real battle only makes them all that much more attractive.

Steven43
04-16-2019, 08:42 AM
The Clippers are going to be one heck of a free agent destination. Lou, Harrell, and SGA are all on very reasonable and favorable deals and they are going to have $80+ mil in cap space. It is not at all unreasonable to think they will get Kawhi and one other top tier free agent which would make them a very real threat to the Warriors.
The Clippers might be a very real threat to the Warriors RIGHT NOW. It’s a best 3 out of 5 series at this point with the Clippers having homecourt advantage. And I hope you’re right about them being a good free agent destination going forward. Anything to help keep the best players from going to the Lakers.

subzero02
04-16-2019, 09:01 AM
The Clippers might be a very real threat to the Warriors RIGHT NOW. It’s a best 3 out of 5 series at this point with the Clippers having homecourt advantage. And I hope you’re right about them being a good free agent destination going forward. Anything to help keep the best players from going to the Lakers.

Golden State is -6000 to win the series...
The Clippers are +2000.

https://mobile.betonline.ag/sports/offerings?s=Basketball&l=NBA%20SERIES&p=0

flyingdutchdevil
04-16-2019, 09:04 AM

No they're not. Clippers played their hearts out. This is another - of many - wake up calls for the most talented team in the country. Dubs won't lose another game this series.

Matches
04-16-2019, 09:17 AM
The Clippers are going to be one heck of a free agent destination. Lou, Harrell, and SGA are all on very reasonable and favorable deals and they are going to have $80+ mil in cap space. It is not at all unreasonable to think they will get Kawhi and one other top tier free agent which would make them a very real threat to the Warriors. They have managed to both have a bright present and a bright future, which ain't easy in the NBA. Giving the Warriors a real battle only makes them all that much more attractive.

Somewhere Lebron is absolutely kicking himself for going to the other LA-NBA team. He could have gotten all of the benefits of Hollywood with a much better basketball situation.

Billy Dat
04-16-2019, 09:26 AM
Somewhere Lebron is absolutely kicking himself for going to the other LA-NBA team. He could have gotten all of the benefits of Hollywood with a much better basketball situation.

That is the million dollar question - does he want a better basketball situation or does he want an organization where he, Mav, Randy, Rich and the crew get to effectively call the shots? I feel like it's the latter...

JNort
04-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Eh idk the Lakers when they were healthy were a 4 seed and probably only getting better. The injuries took them down and chemistry put them out of their misery.

I would much rather have the Lakers roster.

JasonEvans
04-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Eh idk the Lakers when they were healthy were a 4 seed and probably only getting better. The injuries took them down and chemistry put them out of their misery.

I would much rather have the Lakers roster.

I'm not sure anyone on the Lakers (other than Lebron) is as good as Lou or Harrell. I know none of them play as hard as those two warriors (lowercase W). Lebron would love, love, love to play with those guys.

flyingdutchdevil
04-16-2019, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure anyone on the Lakers (other than Lebron) is as good as Lou or Harrell. I know none of them play as hard as those two warriors (lowercase W). Lebron would love, love, love to play with those guys.

I think there are 2-4 players better than Lou and Harrell (Ball, Ingram, maybe Kuzma/Hart). The issue is the Lakers are HORRIBLE at player development. Look at throw away D'Angelo Russell. He went from a solid rookie season to sophomore year stagnation to getting traded and more stagnation in Brooklyn to All-Star this year.

The Lakers and the Knicks are basically the same franchise: huge market, so why focus on player development?

JasonEvans
04-16-2019, 10:07 AM
I think there are 2-4 players better than Lou and Harrell (Ball, Ingram, maybe Kuzma/Hart).

I know stats aren't everything but you'd be hard pressed to find any stat that shows Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, or Hart are better than Lou Williams or Montrezl Harrell. Lou and Harrell have more than double the win shares/48 than any of those Laker youngsters.

Steven43
04-16-2019, 10:20 AM
No they're not. Clippers played their hearts out. This is another - of many - wake up calls for the most talented team in the country. Dubs won't lose another game this series.

Hmmm. A wake-up call, huh? They weren’t awoken when the Clippers came back from over 30 points down to get within a few points? Why didn’t the Warriors stem the tide then if it’s so easy for them to just turn it on when they need it? We’ll see.

wilson
04-16-2019, 10:27 AM
Color me quite surprised at the Warriors' loss last night, even setting aside the shocking circumstances of such a huge comeback...I did not at all expect them to lose a first-round game in any fashion, especially at home. Coupled with the Cousins injury, I think it shows a(nother) crack in the Golden State foundation. I would still consider them the favorites, but with an even narrower gap than before (one that, as I said to open the thread, I already believed was narrower than in years past). Last night's events, to me, made the whole playoffs a bit more intriguing.

flyingdutchdevil
04-16-2019, 10:30 AM
I know stats aren't everything but you'd be hard pressed to find any stat that shows Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, or Hart are better than Lou Williams or Montrezl Harrell. Lou and Harrell have more than double the win shares/48 than any of those Laker youngsters.

I think you're missing my main point. These young Lakers have incredible potential; the Lakers just suck at player development. I'd be shocked if, in the next 3 years, Ball and Ingram's play is higher than Williams/Harrell (when they get traded for a veteran).

I agree that, right now, Lou and Harrell are better players.

JasonEvans
04-16-2019, 10:34 AM
I think you're missing my main point. These young Lakers have incredible potential; the Lakers just suck at player development. I'd be shocked if, in the next 3 years, Ball and Ingram's play is higher than Williams/Harrell (when they get traded for a veteran).

I agree that, right now, Lou and Harrell are better players.

Ahhh, I getcha now. you were saying the Laker guys are better players but the Lakers have done a wretched job at developing them which is why Lou and Montrezl are better NBA contributors at this point. Makes sense and I fully agree. It is a problem for the Lakers that all their young stars seem to regress year to year... a big problem.

flyingdutchdevil
04-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Ahhh, I getcha now. you were saying the Laker guys are better players but the Lakers have done a wretched job at developing them which is why Lou and Montrezl are better NBA contributors at this point. Makes sense and I fully agree. It is a problem for the Lakers that all their young stars seem to regress year to year... a big problem.

The Lakers front office are a bunch of morons. I'm really happy for Luke Walton; he'll have the reigns to an up-and-coming team without a front office that makes career-ending choices (I mean, how the hell do you not have data showing that BBB sneakers are horrible for a player's feet and ankles? And how do you let the Anthony Davis saga play out like that? And how do you trade Russell - an All Star - for 1 year of Brook Lopez and the 27th pick in the draft?).

The Lakers front office is closing the gap on how terrible Billy King was as a GM...

Reilly
04-16-2019, 11:55 AM
... I think it shows a(nother) crack in the Golden State foundation. I would still consider them the favorites ...

For what it's worth, and I'm not sure what it's based on: the NBA Playoff Forecast showing the percentage of times winning The Finals shows Milwaukee at 45.4% and Golden State at 15.6%. It's included in the daily Pro Basketball Stathead email from sports-reference.com.

arnie
04-16-2019, 12:46 PM
The Lakers front office are a bunch of morons. I'm really happy for Luke Walton; he'll have the reigns to an up-and-coming team without a front office that makes career-ending choices (I mean, how the hell do you not have data showing that BBB sneakers are horrible for a player's feet and ankles? And how do you let the Anthony Davis saga play out like that? And how do you trade Russell - an All Star - for 1 year of Brook Lopez and the 27th pick in the draft?).

The Lakers front office is closing the gap on how terrible Billy King was as a GM...

But they got rid of Kupchack in 2017- would have thought that in itself would’ve improved the team? Of course the Jordan’s picked him up quickly in order to draft early 1st round picks for decades.

bundabergdevil
04-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Sources beginning to confirm Cousins tore his quad (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26538263/source-warriors-cousins-torn-left-quad).

Warriors have obviously won without Cousins and he hasn't been a perfect fit in their system so expect they'll be fine. I have to imagine they respond to what happened last night by coming out with a vengeance in Game 3. Loved seeing the Clippers pull that off, particularly after the disassembly of 'Lob City'. Wouldn't mind seeing them take a few more!

DukieInBrasil
04-16-2019, 08:27 PM
is there a good reddit community to stream NBA playoff games thru?

darthur
04-16-2019, 09:29 PM
For what it's worth, and I'm not sure what it's based on: the NBA Playoff Forecast showing the percentage of times winning The Finals shows Milwaukee at 45.4% and Golden State at 15.6%. It's included in the daily Pro Basketball Stathead email from sports-reference.com.

What did they say was the chance that the Cavs would make the finals last few years? A lot of these sites tend to completely ignore the very real and very large effect of top teams playing below themselves during the regular season. 538, which tries to account for that and is the source I trust most, has Golden State at 41% to Milwaukee's 21%. I personally think GS is far from a sure thing, but I also thought that last year. So shrug.

Against the Clippers, I think Durant has handled Beverly very very poorly all series and the team completely imploded when Curry went to the bench in the 3rd with 4 fouls. Then Curry came back cold in the 4th and the Warriors couldn't defend anything all half. For a collapse as bad as this, a few different things have to go wrong, and they did. But I do expect the Warriors to look better in Game 3 and right themselves. For sure part of the problem here was not taking the Clippers seriously, especially Durant who has been snickering at Beverly all series. Just a brutally frustrating game to watch as a Warriors fan though regardless.

As for the Cousins injury: I feel really bad for Boogie and it hurts the team to lose center depth, but I personally think Looney is a better center for the team right now than Cousins. Which is funny since I specifically remember talking Looney down during the playoffs last year. He's really grown on me.

Gooch
04-16-2019, 11:38 PM
Random thoughts while watching Thunder-Blazers from a hotel bar in Seattle:
1. Is this the worst possible matchup for any Seattle NBA fans? West-Coast rival Portland vs. the city that stole their team!
2. Fun to watch Rodney Hood and Seth Curry get some run. They are playing OK on the second unit so far.
3. Seeing CJ McCollum reminds me of my daughter’s recent college visit to Lehigh. Three of the students mentioned how Lehigh beat duke 7 years ago even though they were all in elementary school when it happened. Pretty wild how Duke influences all of college basketball...

Gooch
04-17-2019, 12:26 AM
Random thoughts while watching Thunder-Blazers from a hotel bar in Seattle:
1. Is this the worst possible matchup for any Seattle NBA fans? West-Coast rival Portland vs. the city that stole their team!
2. Fun to watch Rodney Hood and Seth Curry get some run. They are playing OK on the second unit so far.
3. Seeing CJ McCollum reminds me of my daughter’s recent college visit to Lehigh. Three of the students mentioned how Lehigh beat duke 7 years ago even though they were all in elementary school when it happened. Pretty wild how Duke influences all of college basketball...

Yes I’m replying to my own post but they just showed Seth’s mom...deja vu

richardjackson199
04-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Kyrie is good

richardjackson199
04-17-2019, 09:22 PM
and Tatum ain't bad

arnie
04-17-2019, 09:32 PM
and Tatum ain't bad

And Kennard with a big 1st half.

moonpie23
04-17-2019, 10:28 PM
does james harden charge every time he has the ball?

Steven43
04-17-2019, 10:49 PM
Yes.

Duke79UNLV77
04-17-2019, 10:52 PM

And get to shoot free throws for it.

duke4ever19
04-17-2019, 11:07 PM
I'm just hoping the Rockets keep them at arms length so Utah will put Grayson in.

Edit: Grayson comes in and gets greeted with boos from Rockets fans. He proceeds to calmly make two free-throws.

JasonEvans
04-18-2019, 09:26 AM
Irving and Tatum combined for 63 of Boston's 99 points.

I'm new to this whole basketball watching thing... is that good?

-Jason "when Boston played Rozier and Kyrie together in the backcourt they just wrecked Indy... Kyrie is a scorer more than a passer; maybe 2G is his best NBA position" Evans

JNort
04-18-2019, 09:35 AM

-Jason "when Boston played Rozier and Kyrie together in the backcourt they just wrecked Indy... Kyrie is a scorer more than a passer; maybe 2G is his best NBA position" Evans
When I pick him up in 2K I always slide him to the 2 guard, he usually finishes the season scoring 30 ppg or so.

DukieInBrasil
04-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Nice to see that Grayson is getting legit Playoff run. May not happen every game, but if it does, it bodes well for his prospects for an NBA career.

subzero02
04-18-2019, 12:25 PM
Nice to see that Grayson is getting legit Playoff run. May not happen every game, but if it does, it bodes well for his prospects for an NBA career.

2 and a half months ago it seemed like Grayson's PT would be restricted to the g-league for the reminder of the season. He has had an amazing end to his rookie year.

JasonEvans
04-18-2019, 02:15 PM

Welllll... how many of those minutes came when the game was actually competitive? Houston basically led by 25-30 points the entire 2nd half.

bundabergdevil
04-18-2019, 07:53 PM
Embiid announced out for Game 3 against the Nets tonight. 76ers don't play nearly as well without him in the line up...and, in particular, JJ has a tougher time without his 2-man game with Embiid and defensive backstop. Hoping he bucks that trend tonight.

NSDukeFan
04-18-2019, 08:18 PM
Embiid announced out for Game 3 against the Nets tonight. 76ers don't play nearly as well without him in the line up...and, in particular, JJ has a tougher time without his 2-man game with Embiid and defensive backstop. Hoping he bucks that trend tonight.
He may need to do that in a later series. For now he will have to concentrate more on getting his shots to go in the nets.

dukelifer
04-18-2019, 08:41 PM

it ain't bad

Steven43
04-18-2019, 09:30 PM

Are you a fan of the Sixers, J.J. Redick, or both? I’m torn on this one because the 76ers are a historical rival of my team (Celtics), but Redick is one of my favorites. I liked it much better when he was on the Clippers, a team I have nothing against.

bundabergdevil
04-18-2019, 09:56 PM
Are you a fan of the Sixers, J.J. Redick, or both? I’m torn on this one because the 76ers are a historical rival of my team (Celtics), but Redick is one of my favorites. I liked it much better when he was on the Clippers, a team I have nothing against.

Hah hah. If both teams advance, you may have to root for Redick to have good games and Philly to lose.

I moved to Philly the same year they drafted Okafor and started following the team, going to a few games. It was peak "Process" and the relationship between Hinkie and the city was an absolute riot. When they brought back Brand for elder statesman locker room leadership (then hired him as GM), brought Redick on board, I was pretty much hooked because of the Duke connections. The team is just really a lot of fun --- they play some great ball at times. But Embiid, the whole Fultz fiasco (wish the kid the best but it was a bizarre situation), Colangelo's burner accounts, all that has been pure entertainment.

So, not deep roots but I'm in with good reason now. AND, Redick having a GREAT game tonight. Happy to see it!

robed deity
04-18-2019, 09:58 PM
JJ having a game.

JasonEvans
04-18-2019, 10:36 PM
JJ having a game.

So are Harris and Simmons. Big win for the Sixers without their best player.

accfanfrom1970
04-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Glad to see pinson lighting it up for the nets.

Furniture
04-18-2019, 11:44 PM
Glad to see pinson lighting it up for the nets.

At least he is there so well done to him. No hate from me.

cato
04-19-2019, 01:38 AM
So are Harris and Simmons. Big win for the Sixers without their best player.

Nice to see JJ play 34 minutes and put up 26 points to go with Simmons’ 31 and Harris’ 29. That is some solid playoff work to get a W with Embiid out.

Troublemaker
04-19-2019, 07:34 AM

Besides the JJ / Elton factor, the peak of the 76ers/Celtics rivalry was almost 40 years ago in the early 80s. You should be more concerned about the current Celtics team; you should root for Philly to win so Toronto has a tougher second-round series. I know you think Boston has no chance against the Bucks so what does it matter anyway, but many smart basketball observers (including me) think that's going to be a series. (I'd actually pick Boston to upset the Bucks if Marcus Smart were healthy.) And if Boston does manage to upset Milwaukee, hopefully the prize waiting for them in the ECF is a 76ers team that they've owned over the past couple of seasons. Not another top-4 NBA team in Toronto. And, as a Duke fan, watching Kyrie/Jayson go against JJ/Elton's front office moves will be delightful.

ChillinDuke
04-19-2019, 10:55 AM
JJ has had such an incredible, persevering career. If he has two more seasons of scoring production anywhere close to what he did this year, he will have a shot to be in the Top-200 scorers of all time.

- Chillin

phaedrus
04-19-2019, 12:01 PM
JJ has had such an incredible, persevering career. If he has two more seasons of scoring production anywhere close to what he did this year, he will have a shot to be in the Top-200 scorers of all time.

- Chillin

Not to mention top-15 in career three-pointers made, top-10 in career free throw percentage, top-15-20 in career three point percentage, and top-25 in true shooting and efg%.

Pretty good for a guy whose future looked uncertain at age 24.

JasonEvans
04-19-2019, 12:03 PM

Ready for a crazy JJ stat? Since the age of 23, JJ has increased his per game scoring average every single season of his career except 2. That would be ok for a guy who was still in his 20s, but JJs best seasons are all in his 30s. That's unheardof. Here are his per game scoring averages each season

Age - PPG
22 - 6.0
23 - 4.1
24 - 6.0
25 - 9.6
26 - 10.1
27 - 11.6
28 - 14.1
29 - 15.2
30 - 16.4
31 - 16.3
32 - 15.0
33 - 17.1
34 - 18.1

-Jason "his career is darn close to unprecedented... there will be a lot of interest in him this summer, though I suspect the Sixers will do what it takes to get him back (probably mid-teens again)" Evans

JasonEvans
04-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Here is a really nice Deadspin article (https://deadspin.com/the-nets-didnt-have-a-plan-for-j-j-redick-so-he-rippe-1834172363)about JJ Redick and how he is close to unguardable. Yup, they seem to think he is one of the biggest offensive disruptors in the game.

J.J. Redick, Philadelphia’s 34-year-old shooting guard, is not half as good as (James) Harden. But he is pretty close to unguardable, in large part because he almost never has the ball in his hands. He slaloms around stationary teammates and off-ball screens relentlessly and at a dead sprint; he needs only the tiniest sliver of open space and time to get off his jump shot and is comfortable transitioning from catching to shooting while running full speed; and when he’s in rhythm he is a dead-eye shooter from anywhere along the arc and well past it. Over the 24 seconds of a possession, no particular scheme for keeping an assigned defender attached to him will reliably hold up; eventually his constant weaving and curling will tear open what, for him, qualifies as a clean look at a high-percentage shot. Theoretically, switching those endless off-ball screens can keep him covered—though, again, over 24 seconds of relentless sprinting around the half-court, eventually somebody is going to botch a switch, or the defense is going to get wrenched hopelessly out of shape, and either Redick will get a look or the violence he has done to the defense’s contours will create one for somebody else.

The article then goes on to rip JJ's defense and says the only way to beat the 76ers is to get JJ out of the game by getting him in foul trouble or abusing him on D. Interesting theory and not an entirely flawed one.

-Jason "I rarely say this about Deadspin, but this article is well worth a read" Evans

JasonEvans
04-19-2019, 08:53 PM
And for your, "Wow, really?!?!" stat of the day...

https://i.groupme.com/750x879.jpeg.331393c9701d456790dbbf8cf38607bc

pfrduke
04-19-2019, 11:47 PM
And for your, "Wow, really?!?!" stat of the day...

Thats the benefit of having two elimination seasons come when Irving is injured (for 2015, he gets the benefit of the pre finals record but isn’t tarred with most of the finals losses) and of not playing in the playoffs (before this year) on a team without Lebron.

Troublemaker
04-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Kyrie continues to be one of the league's best closers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfM_XGkwups

BigZ
04-20-2019, 03:29 PM
What’s the deal with these guys wearing weird wraps on their beds. Looks stupid

Acymetric
04-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Wow, huge three by Redick under a minute to go up one after a weak-ish game so far.

richardjackson199
04-21-2019, 03:25 PM
Gordon Hayward might be back. Boston could definitely make some noise in the East. I would definitely not pencil in the Bucks, Raptors, or Sixers just yet.

YmoBeThere
04-21-2019, 04:03 PM

I'm sorry, but it took me 5 minutes to stop giggling at this post.

elvis14
04-22-2019, 09:30 AM

What I want to know is how and why you are checking out their beds. Stalker alert!!!!

On another note, the Karate Kid wraps are goofy.

J4Kop99
04-22-2019, 09:58 AM
This has to go down as one of the lowest-rated first rounds in recent memory. Aside from spurs-nuggets, this has been a pretty uneventful playoffs thus far.

Fortunately, the second round is shaping up to be a monster:

GSW-HOU
BOS-MIL
PHI-TOR
POR(doubt OKC comes back) - SAS/DEN

Troublemaker
04-24-2019, 09:10 AM
C'mon now. Dame's shot deserves a mention. I'm guessing people are waiting for the projected awesome 2nd-round series' to start before really paying attention, but this was awesome.

Note: It's not in this video, which only presents the game-winning shot and reaction, but our boy Seth Curry had a crucial steal on Paul George a couple of possessions earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMm5NtXLVDY

Natty_B
04-24-2019, 10:19 AM
C'mon now. Dame's shot deserves a mention. I'm guessing people are waiting for the projected awesome 2nd-round series' to start before really paying attention, but this was awesome.

Note: It's not in this video, which only presents the game-winning shot and reaction, but our boy Seth Curry had a crucial steal on Paul George a couple of possessions earlier.

An incredible shot. If it had happened in Boston or LA - ESPN would talk about it for a week straight. Trigger warning though: the Westbrook shot that preceded this play reminded me a lot of some bad Duke moments (both the play itself - drive to the basket hope something happens ala '99,'04 and '18 and maybe the wrong guy taking the shot ala Barrett over Zion in Zags and MSU).

subzero02
04-24-2019, 10:39 AM

He made a ridiculously hard shot but he should have been able to get a better look than a contested side step 3 from 37 feet. He was lucky that it went in. Culver had a much better look from 3 but his potential game winner just didn't go in...IMO, both guys could've gotten better looks, especially considering the amount of time left on the clock in both situations.

CDu
04-24-2019, 10:42 AM
He made a ridiculously hard shot but he should have been able to get a better look than a contested side step 3 from 37 feet. He was lucky that it went in. Culver had a much better look from 3 but his potential game winner just didn't go in...IMO, both guys could've gotten better looks, especially considering the amount of time left on the clock in both situations.

Agreed. Bad play, great result.

moonpie23
04-24-2019, 11:30 AM
actually, he's hit a lot of shots like that...

tdrake51
04-24-2019, 12:25 PM

Yeah... he is hitting 39% from 35 to 40 feet.

Turk
04-24-2019, 12:34 PM
Agreed. Bad play, great result.

You guys sound like Paul George:

"Thunder's Paul George on defending deep game-winner by Blazers' Damian Lillard: "That's a bad shot. I don't care what anybody says. That's a bad shot. But, hey, he made it. That story won't be told, that it's a bad shot. You live with that."

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/4/24/18513871/winners-losers-portland-trail-blazers-oklahoma-city-thunder-game-5-damian-lillard

I dozed off, woke up when Thunder were up 10 or so, gave up and went to bed. I hate when I do that.

CDu
04-24-2019, 12:39 PM

That he may or may not have made shots like that before doesn't mean it was a good play. He could almost certainly have gotten a better look than that.

Monmouth77
04-24-2019, 12:48 PM
That he may or may not have made shots like that before doesn't mean it was a good play. He could almost certainly have gotten a better look than that.

That is certainly true from a basketball perspective, and the criticism would land harder if the Blazers were down in the game, or if the series was tied 2-2. But the NBA is at least partially about entertainment in addition to competition (I mean, they play music during game play) and that shot was a dagger that will be remembered and replayed forever. The downside was overtime at home in a series you were already winning 3-1. The upside was posterity and viral fame. And Lillard was hitting everything last night. Hard to drag him for that shot.

kako
04-24-2019, 03:00 PM
Great shot by Dame. It was a Curry shot. George played the percentages and lost.

But bottom line - incredible choke job by OKC. Louisville-esque. Up 15 with 7 minutes left. ESPN showed a stat for this season - something like 692 of 693 times, the team leading by 15 with 7 minutes left won. Now it's 692 of 694.

9F

jimsumner
04-24-2019, 03:35 PM
Great shot by Dame. It was a Curry shot. George played the percentages and lost.

But bottom line - incredible choke job by OKC. Louisville-esque. Up 15 with 7 minutes left. ESPN showed a stat for this season - something like 692 of 693 times, the team leading by 15 with 7 minutes left won. Now it's 692 of 694.

9F

Seth Curry was +15 in this game and made a huge defensive play down the stretch, ripping the ball away from Westbrook and forcing a turnover.

Steven43
04-24-2019, 03:43 PM

9F
That stat surprises me. A 15-pt lead with more than seven minutes to go doesn’t seem like a huge hurdle to overcome in today’s NBA. I watched the game and Portland’s comeback didn’t feel all that dramatic in the moment, though Lillard’s game-winning shot was.

phaedrus
04-24-2019, 04:20 PM

9F

Not that you really suggested otherwise, but it's not like George left him wide open. He was guarding Dame well out past the three-point line and contested the shot pretty well. He also has six inches on Dame. The shot still went in.

Steven43
04-24-2019, 05:01 PM
Not that you really suggested otherwise, but it's not like George left him wide open. He was guarding Dame well out past the three-point line and contested the shot pretty well. He also has six inches on Dame. The shot still went in.
In fact it was a step-back 37-foot jumpshot. Who, other than Damian Lillard, could pull that off, particularly in a moment that big? The guy is one helluva basketball player. Pray the Lakers do not get him.

Truth&Justise
04-24-2019, 05:14 PM

In the corner you can see Seth Curry talking to the OKC bench during the play and then staring them down after.

Here's a tweet with a short video zoomed in on Seth (https://twitter.com/ComplexSports/status/1121042735786541056).

Cold blooded for everyone involved.

MartyClark
04-24-2019, 05:24 PM
In the corner you can see Seth Curry talking to the OKC bench during the play and then staring them down after.

Here's a tweet with a short video zoomed in on Seth (https://twitter.com/ComplexSports/status/1121042735786541056).

Cold blooded for everyone involved.

Yeah Seth!

He seemed like a good young man when he played for Duke. I think his senior year would have been spectacular if not for the injury. Happy to see him playing and making some bread in the NBA.

-jk
04-24-2019, 06:07 PM
Seth Curry was +15 in this game and made a huge defensive play down the stretch, ripping the ball away from Westbrook and forcing a turnover.

There's a reason LeBron always wants a Dukie on his team...

They just do stuff!

-jk

CoachJ10
04-24-2019, 09:06 PM

It was an incredibly low % shot. He took a hero shot because the game was tied...lot of personal upside for him if he makes it, marginal downside if they have to go to OT.

Portland was easily the better team and should have won this series. Let’s see how he fares against the top tier teams.

JasonEvans
04-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Raise your hand if you had the Warriors losing 2 home games and really struggling with the Clippers.

What? No one?

I don't think they win the series, but the Clips have an amazing young core and will have gobs of cap space this summer (enough for 2 max players, I think). They are making a real case for themselves as a premiere free agent destination. Kawhi supposedly is already leaning to go there and I would think they can lure one more. With Harrell, Lou, SGA, and Shamet under really reasonable deals, they are poised to get some stud help and vault to the top of the West next season.

-Jason "poor Lebron... who is going to come to his side of LA when there are so many better free agent spots available?" Evans

GGLC
04-25-2019, 09:52 AM
It was an incredibly low % shot. He took a hero shot because the game was tied...lot of personal upside for him if he makes it, marginal downside if they have to go to OT.

Portland was easily the better team and should have won this series. Let’s see how he fares against the top tier teams.

It was not an incredibly low percentage shot. He makes similar shots routinely, including earlier in the game. It was a higher percentage shot than trying to drive on one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, particularly when you consider that he ensured that OKC had no chance of getting the final shot due to a turnover, foul, or quick rebound.

He shot 39 percent in 51 attempts this season from 30-40 feet, and he was 10-18 overall from three in the game, with many of those being off-balance, deep, or both. He is an insane shooter, and he thrives in high-pressure situations. There is no way that he was less than 30 percent to hit that shot.

Dame is amazing and he knows what he's doing.

Steven43
04-25-2019, 09:52 AM

I do not agree that it was an incredibly low percentage shot — not for Lillard. I watched him make two shots from virtually that exact spot earlier in the game. That’s a comfortable distance and location for him.

Ha, it looks like GGLC beat me to it.

Steven43
04-25-2019, 10:02 AM
You said this when it was tied 1-1. Good thing you didn’t put money on it.

GGLC
04-25-2019, 10:10 AM
For shooters like Steph and Dame, the most important thing isn't the distance but whether they can create an open look for themselves. Dame's tiny hesitation move with George created an open look for himself.

And man, watching him just let that clock run down as he dribbled near the logo before sticking it in George's eye is one of the most cold-blooded things I've ever seen.

devildeac
04-25-2019, 10:38 AM
For shooters like Steph and Dame, the most important thing isn't the distance but whether they can create an open look for themselves. Dame's tiny hesitation move with George created an open look for himself.

And man, watching him just let that clock run down as he dribbled near the logo before sticking it in George's eye is one of the most cold-blooded things I've ever seen.

Maybe #2 after this one? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I5ziHJIeuo

RPS
04-25-2019, 10:52 AM
Maybe #2 after this one?
Dame's shot was fantastic, but the game was tied and was at home. Rivers essentially did the same thing but on the road and behind (without even factoring in that we had been outplayed throughout). Totally amazing.

GGLC
04-25-2019, 10:54 AM
I'm as big a Dukie as you'll find, but those shots are not comparable. Dame's is more impressive in virtually every respect.

Steven43
04-25-2019, 11:39 AM
Maybe #2 after this one? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I5ziHJIeuo

Yes, Lillard’s shot is #2 after Austin’s. Nothing could ever top that one.

Steven43
04-25-2019, 11:41 AM
Dame's shot was fantastic, but the game was tied and was at home. Rivers essentially did the same thing but on the road and behind (without even factoring in that we had been outplayed throughout). Totally amazing.

Spot on.

GGLC
04-25-2019, 11:49 AM
[ ] essentially did the same thing

[x] against a much worse defender

[x] from much closer in

[x] in a lower-stakes situation

[x] while being less closely guarded

[x] and taking a less difficult shot

[ ] for his fiftieth points of the game

jimsumner
04-25-2019, 11:50 AM
As great as Rivers' shot was and is, players have hit jump shots to win NCAA championships. Jordan, Keith Smart, Kris Jenkins. To the eight billion or so folks who don't live or die with Duke-Carolina, well you can figure out the rest.

And yes, I know that most of those eight billion follow the Premier League not NCAA hoops. :)

Steven43
04-25-2019, 12:05 PM
[ ] essentially did the same thing

[x] against a much worse defender

[x] from much closer in

[x] in a lower-stakes situation

[x] while being less closely guarded

[x] and taking a less difficult shot

[ ] for his fiftieth points of the game

1) George didn’t defend a darn thing
2) Not all that much closer
3) NOT lower stakes. If Lillard misses that shot they go to overtime at home. Plus, they were up 3-1 in the series. Plus, there is no big rivalry between Oklahoma City and Portland.
4) Not less-closely guarded
5) Not a less difficult shot considering the psychological fact that if he misses, Duke loses.
6) Irrelevant

Steven43
04-25-2019, 12:29 PM
As great as Rivers' shot was and is, players have hit jump shots to win NCAA championships. Jordan, Keith Smart, Kris Jenkins. To the eight billion or so folks who don't live or die with Duke-Carolina, well you can figure out the rest.

And yes, I know that most of those eight billion follow the Premier League not NCAA hoops. :)

1) Jordan took his shot with 17 seconds to go. Georgetown had plenty of time to comfortably bring the ball down and score, they just completely choked.
2) Smart took his shot — a midrange jumper — from about 16 feet with 5 seconds on the clock. Great shot.
3) Jenkins’s shot came with the score tied 74-74. If he misses they go to overtime.

I’ll still take Austin’s shot over those.

GGLC
04-25-2019, 12:40 PM
1) George didn’t defend a darn thing
2) Not all that much closer
3) NOT lower stakes. If Lillard misses that shot they go to overtime at home. Plus, they were up 3-1 in the series. Plus, there is no big rivalry between Oklahoma City and Portland.
4) Not less-closely guarded
5) Not a less difficult shot considering the psychological fact that if he misses, Duke loses.
6) Irrelevant

Rivers stepped into the college three-point line to take his shot, and he was already pretty close. Lillard stepped back and away and nailed a thirty-seven footer. Yes, Rivers's shot was all that much closer.

George is one of the premier perimeter defenders in the world, and he had Lillard locked in from the half court line. You're really saying he didn't defend a darn thing here?

The elimination game of a playoff series is definitionally higher stakes than a regular season tilt between two top ten teams, even if it is sports's greatest rivalry. Plus, Rivers was a freshman who (iirc) didn't grow up a Duke fan. We've had numerous conversations here about how fans take the Duke-Carolina hatred far more seriously than the players.

But beyond that, if you don't think there's a big rivalry between Oklahoma City and Portland, then a) you're not familiar with the legitimate bad blood between Lillard and Westbrook, and b) I have two words for you: Kevin bleeping Durant. Trail Blazers fans will always hate the Thunder for the outcome of that draft decision alone.

You can't compare the shots. Both were great. Dame's was more impressive, to me.

sagegrouse
04-25-2019, 12:42 PM
1) Jordan took his shot with 17 seconds to go. Georgetown had plenty of time to comfortably bring the ball down and score, they just completely choked.
2) Smart took his shot — a midrange jumper — from about 16 feet with 5 seconds on the clock. Great shot.
3) Jenkins’s shot came with the score tied 74-74. If he misses they go to overtime.

I’ll still take Austin’s shot over those.

How about Christian's FT's against UNLV? How much time did LV have to screw up its final possession?

Duke79UNLV77
04-25-2019, 12:43 PM
As it turned out, Lillard's shot was very impressive to make, but what the heck was he thinking with the shot selection decision? With plenty of time, he made not effort whatsoever even to get close to the NBA 3-point line, let alone attack the basket. It's the occasional make of a low-percentage shot like Lillard's that will doom us to continue to watching players just dribble on the perimeter and then take a low percentage fadeaway 3 (missing it all of the times that aren't replayed or remembered) at the end of games.

wsb3
04-25-2019, 12:47 PM
How about Christian's FT's against UNLV? How much time did LV have to screw up its final possession?

12.7 seconds

GGLC
04-25-2019, 12:56 PM
As it turned out, Lillard's shot was very impressive to make, but what the heck was he thinking with the shot selection decision? With plenty of time, he made not effort whatsoever even to get close to the NBA 3-point line, let alone attack the basket. It's the occasional make of a low-percentage shot like Lillard's that will doom us to continue to watching players just dribble on the perimeter and then take a low percentage fadeaway 3 (missing it all of the times that aren't replayed or remembered) at the end of games.

Lillard shot 39 percent from 30-40 feet and something like 45 percent from 18-20 feet. Driving into the teeth of the defense closes the distance between himself and one of the greatest perimeter defenders in the world and non-trivially increases the chances of the Thunder getting the ball back in regulation with time on the clock.

As Dave Deckard observes on DBR's sister site Blazer's Edge (this section of the article is worth quoting at length):

Vertical space—the distance between the baseline and Lillard’s position near halfcourt—was the key. George knew full well that any shot could win the game. Portland did not need a three. He had to worry about Lillard lofting a shot from any depth. If George played up close, Lillard might have blown by him. If he retreated too far, Lillard would have an unopposed attempt. George tried to take the middle ground, staying close enough to interfere with a jumper, far enough back to compensate for a drive.

Lillard played George’s approach perfectly. He did not close the space between him and the defender. He let George sidle up as the clock wound down. A smart defender, George knew that time would limit Lillard’s options. After George advanced, but while he was still far enough off that the space between them was tangible, Lillard gave the slightest hitch with his hands, as if his move was starting now. This forced George into action, coercing him into making the critical decision about where to defend.

At this moment, Lillard’s brilliance showed forth in three ways:

1) At no time did Lillard close the space between himself and George. He would have needed to do so in order to earn the traditional, “high percentage” inside shot. Instead, Lillard used the distance between him and the defender as an ally, making George negotiate his way through it based on guesswork rather than committing to a certainty that George could react to.

2) Lillard anticipated, correctly, that George would default to the traditional way of thinking...assuming that shots closer to the hoop are automatically better. When George committed in the critical nanosecond, it was to prevent further advancement towards the rim rather than to close the gap between himself and Lillard.

3) To complete the shot, Lillard moved sideways away from the defender even though the motion carried him away from the hoop as well. He was agnostic with regards to distance from the rim as long as the shot was clear.

For a shooter of Lillard’s caliber, this move not only makes perfect sense, it illustrates a new definition of “good”. Covered versus not covered is more important that closer or farther away from the hoop.

Lillard very deliberately created and maintained space between himself and George. He got exactly the shot he wanted. There are only two or three players in the world for whom that would be a +EV shot, and Dame is one of them.

Steven43
04-25-2019, 12:57 PM
Rivers stepped into the college three-point line to take his shot, and he was already pretty close. Lillard stepped back and away and nailed a thirty-seven footer. Yes, Rivers's shot was all that much closer.

George is one of the premier perimeter defenders in the world, and he had Lillard locked in from the half court line. You're really saying he didn't defend a darn thing here?

The elimination game of a playoff series is definitionally higher stakes than a regular season tilt between two top ten teams, even if it is sports's greatest rivalry. Plus, Rivers was a freshman who (iirc) didn't grow up a Duke fan. We've had numerous conversations here about how fans take the Duke-Carolina hatred far more seriously than the players.

But beyond that, if you don't think there's a big rivalry between Oklahoma City and Portland, then a) you're not familiar with the legitimate bad blood between Lillard and Westbrook, and b) I have two words for you: Kevin bleeping Durant. Trail Blazers fans will always hate the Thunder for the outcome of that draft decision alone.

You can't compare the shots. Both were great. Dame's was more impressive, to me.
1) Yes, Rivers was closer. But distance doesn’t always equate with level of difficulty. Lillard makes those shots regularly and comfortably:

2) George might be a great perimeter defender, but his defense sucked on that play.

3) Duke has more fans than the Portland Trailblazers. Yes, it was an elimination game...for Oklahoma City. Had Portland lost they would have still been up 3-2. Plus, that game was going to overtime had Lillard missed, and Portland had ALL of the momentum. No biggie. And if you don’t think that shot was massive for Rivers personally you would be mistaken. He’s going to hear about that shot for the rest of his life.

4) The “rivalry” is between Lillard and Westbrook, not the Blazers and OKC. Besides, Westbrook wasn’t even guarding Lillard. That’s a “meh”.

5) No idea what you are talking about in regard to Durant. I don’t see how that is relevant to this conversation, anyway.

6) I agree with you that both shots were great.

GGLC
04-25-2019, 01:04 PM
If you don't know what I'm talking about with regard to Durant, then you are DEFINITELY not someone who follows the Blazers very much. :D

(I disagree with several of your other points, too, but I think we've beat it into the ground.)

Steven43
04-25-2019, 01:19 PM
Never claimed to be a big Blazers fan. Not sure why you bring that up.

GGLC
04-25-2019, 02:07 PM
Never claimed to be a big Blazers fan. Not sure why you bring that up.

Sigh.

You said there is no big rivalry between Oklahoma City and Portland.

From Portland's point of view, at least, there is absolutely a big rivalry between Oklahoma City and Portland, and Kevin bleeping Durant is one of the reasons.

Smitty1911
04-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Sigh.

You said there is no big rivalry between Oklahoma City and Portland.

From Portland's point of view, at least, there is absolutely a big rivalry between Oklahoma City and Portland, and Kevin bleeping Durant is one of the reasons.

I don’t get it either. What does Durant have to do with a Portland-OKC rivalry? Because of the Oden pick? Not being snarky, just wondering if I missed a subplot at some point.

Duke79UNLV77
04-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Lillard shot 39 percent from 30-40 feet and something like 45 percent from 18-20 feet. Driving into the teeth of the defense closes the distance between himself and one of the greatest perimeter defenders in the world and non-trivially increases the chances of the Thunder getting the ball back in regulation with time on the clock.

As Dave Deckard observes on DBR's sister site Blazer's Edge (this section of the article is worth quoting at length):

Lillard very deliberately created and maintained space between himself and George. He got exactly the shot he wanted. There are only two or three players in the world for whom that would be a +EV shot, and Dame is one of them.

Sorry, but not buying what you’re selling. 30-40 feet is a big range. Presumably, the large majority of those shots were a lot closer to 30 feet, whereas this was a lot closer to 40. What percentage did he hit of stepback shots over a taller defender from a couple of steps across halfcoirt? I doubt he took many.

GGLC
04-25-2019, 03:35 PM
I don’t get it either. What does Durant have to do with a Portland-OKC rivalry? Because of the Oden pick? Not being snarky, just wondering if I missed a subplot at some point.

Well, before Oklahoma City was Oklahoma City, they were in Seattle...and there was absolutely a long-standing rivalry between Portland and Seattle.

But yes, Portland has a ridiculously painful history of making the wrong draft choice, and picking Greg Oden over one of the NBA's all-time greats is something that has made Blazers fans hate and resent Oklahoma City for a long time, both while Durant was there and afterwards. The fact that we really wanted Paul George when he was available but resigned ourselves to the fact that he was going to a large market team, only to wind up in Oklahoma City to replace Durant, doesn't help much either.

GGLC
04-25-2019, 03:36 PM
Sorry, but not buying what you’re selling. 30-40 feet is a big range. Presumably, the large majority of those shots were a lot closer to 30 feet, whereas this was a lot closer to 40. What percentage did he hit of stepback shots over a taller defender from a couple of steps across halfcoirt? I doubt he took many.

You win. It was a terrible shot and he had no business thinking he could make it.

Steven43
04-25-2019, 03:44 PM
You win. It was a terrible shot and he had no business thinking he could make it.

Hey, take it easy, man. We’re just messing around. There’s nothing much else to talk about.

vick
04-25-2019, 03:51 PM

For what it's worth, as far as I can tell (https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&match=play&year_id=2019&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&shot_distance_min=30&shot_distance_max=40&team_id=POR&q1=Y&q2=Y&q3=Y&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=12&time_remain_seconds=0&time_remain_comp=le&order_by=fg), Lillard is 6/10 (60%) on 30 footers, 5/13 (38%) on 31 footers, 7/16 (44%) on 32 footers, and only 2/12 (17%) on 33+ footers.

Anyway, at least arguing that it was a high percentage shot, while questionable in my eyes, makes sense, as opposed to the crazy argument I saw yesterday (from a stats guy!) that because 39% is a good three point percentage in most circumstances, 39% here means it's a good shot. That is just a logic error.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-25-2019, 03:52 PM
Well, before Oklahoma City was Oklahoma City, they were in Seattle...and there was absolutely a long-standing rivalry between Portland and Seattle.

But yes, Portland has a ridiculously painful history of making the wrong draft choice, and picking Greg Oden over one of the NBA's all-time greats is something that has made Blazers fans hate and resent Oklahoma City for a long time, both while Durant was there and afterwards. The fact that we really wanted Paul George when he was available but resigned ourselves to the fact that he was going to a large market team, only to wind up in Oklahoma City to replace Durant, doesn't help much either.

RIP Sonics.

/sniff

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-25-2019, 03:55 PM
I don't quite understand all the consternation over whether it was a "good shot." The proof is in the pudding, he drained it and they advance. I'm all about dissecting syntax, but what would conceivably make it a better shot? If he had made a jab step and driven to within 10 feet and missed, is that a better shot?

Steven43
04-25-2019, 04:09 PM
I don't quite understand all the consternation over whether it was a "good shot." The proof is in the pudding, he drained it and they advance. I'm all about dissecting syntax, but what would conceivably make it a better shot? If he had made a jab step and driven to within 10 feet and missed, is that a better shot?

Agree. I don’t think trying to get closer to the basket would have increased the odds that he makes a shot. He took a shot that is well within his comfort zone and he made it. No surprise there, as Lillard is one of the best long-range shooters in the world.

RPS
04-25-2019, 04:12 PM
Sometimes a bad play or decision turns out well and sometimes a good play or decision turns out poorly. Sometimes the hitter gets fooled badly yet the ball bloops over or rolls between the infield for a hit and sometimes line smashes get caught. That at least partly explains the randomness in outcomes. Analytically, a terrible shot doesn't become a good shot because it goes in (and vice versa).

Whether Lillard's shot was a good one or a bad one (analytically) is an open and interesting question. That he made a great play is not open to dispute.

vick
04-25-2019, 04:13 PM

I don't think it's syntax, it's philosophy. Some people think that the result is proof of the process, others (including, famously, our own Shane Battier) think in terms of impacting probabilities. If you're in the latter camp, you probably think it wasn't a good shot. Steven43 appears to take the position, which I disagree with but respect the logic of, that it actually was a high percentage shot.

GGLC
04-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Agree. I don’t think trying to get closer to the basket would have increased the odds that he makes a shot. He took a shot that is well within his comfort zone and he made it. No surprise there, as Lillard is one of the best long-range shooters in the world.

I agree with this

It was a high-enough percentage shot for him that he felt comfortable rolling the dice on it rather than driving closer and risking a turnover or a less clean look

Either way he's rolling the dice; he just has to (instinctually) weigh the relative probabilities

Given that there is a non-zero chance that a closer, better-defended shot ends up with the Thunder having the ball and a time out in regulation, I think his decision is reasonable, given his range, whether or not it actually went in

Duke79UNLV77
04-25-2019, 04:26 PM
For what it's worth, as far as I can tell (https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&match=play&year_id=2019&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&shot_distance_min=30&shot_distance_max=40&team_id=POR&q1=Y&q2=Y&q3=Y&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=12&time_remain_seconds=0&time_remain_comp=le&order_by=fg), Lillard is 6/10 (60%) on 30 footers, 5/13 (38%) on 31 footers, 7/16 (44%) on 32 footers, and only 2/12 (17%) on 33+ footers.

Anyway, at least arguing that it was a high percentage shot, while questionable in my eyes, makes sense, as opposed to the crazy argument I saw yesterday (from a stats guy!) that because 39% is a good three point percentage in most circumstances, 39% here means it's a good shot. That is just a logic error.

Not only that, but based on your search (cool link), it was the first shot all season that he had even attempted from 36 feet! If he had taken it blindfolded from 80 feet and it happened to go in, would that have made it the best shot to take?

GGLC
04-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Not only that, but based on your search (cool link), it was the first shot all season that he had even attempted from 36 feet! If he had taken it blindfolded from 80 feet and it happened to go in, would that have made it the best shot to take?

Objection, fallacy of the excluded middle.

Or reductio ad absurdum; it's been a while since logic class.

rsvman
04-25-2019, 05:01 PM

If you believe the outcome determines whether it was a "good shot" (perhaps "wise decision" would be better verbiage), then there is no better shot. Because it went in.

I am one of those people who believe that the outcome doesn't determine whether a decision was good or bad, because outcomes don't always depend on decisions, and sports outcomes don't even always depend on skill or precision. I watched a guy skull an 8-iron on a downhill par 3 with a river behind it. The ball was screaming toward a watery grave when it struck one of those old-school sand rakes that poked into the ground so that the handle stood straight up into the air. The ball bounced off the rake handle onto the green and rolled into the hole. Did the guy hit a good shot? Of course not. He hit a terrible shot that belonged in the river. But it went into the hole. Did I say to him "Good shot"? No. In fact, what I said, to quote myself directly was this: "Do. that. again."

Anyway, I digress. The point is that sometimes in life (and in sports) somebody makes a bad decision and gets an excellent outcome. Other times, somebody makes a good decision and ends up with a lousy outcome. Because of this, I try not to judge my decisions based on their outcomes. Another thing to keep in mind is that, generally speaking, at the time one makes a decision, the outcome is not yet known, and therefore can't be factored into the decision. So a wise decision is one that maximizes the chances of a good outcome. Hitting that 8-iron on the sweet spot of the club with a smooth swing and hitting the ball slightly before impacting the ground "maximizes the chances" that your ball will end up on the green. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it helps.

GGLC
04-25-2019, 05:06 PM
I agree with all of that, rsvman, and think that based on those criteria it was a very good shot for Lillard to take

I don't think we have to worry about it spawning legions of imitators and negatively impacting basketball endgames, as Duke79 fears. Players tend to have reasonably good senses of their own ranges, and I highly doubt that anyone in the moment will be thinking, "well, usually I would never take this shot...but Dame did, so here goes!"

ChillinDuke
04-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Must be the offseason, huh?

- Chillin

GGLC
04-25-2019, 05:38 PM

- Chillin

I mean, this IS a thread about the 2019 NBA playoffs, which just featured one of the most ridiculous shots in NBA playoffs history...I think we've been pretty on-topic.

subzero02
04-25-2019, 05:45 PM

The list of better shots could be quite long but a 10 foot shot with a decent look at the hoop that missed would have been a better shot. Even if he misses the shot, he would have a chance to get fouled in the process.

Troublemaker
04-25-2019, 06:11 PM

- Chillin

I really like this discussion, as I've seen people -- not necessarily just on DBR -- get pretty invested in arguing for one side or the other, and I've seen really smart people on both sides make compelling arguments.

For me, I come as someone who watched the entire game -- not just replays of the shot -- so I saw how hot Lillard was. 50 points, 10-18 from 3. When the ball left his hand on that final shot, I thought it was going in. I know I can't support it with stats or anything, but I truly believe that shot had a >50% chance of going in. And, frankly, he had made three or four tougher shots earlier in the game, keeping in mind that distance isn't the only thing that determines how tough a shot is.

Good shot, Dame. You're a legend.

GGLC
04-25-2019, 07:15 PM
Yeah, people need to at least watch the highlights of his entire performance that game; it's pretty incredible. Some of the shots he was hitting were absurd.

YmoBeThere
04-26-2019, 06:34 AM
The list of better shots could be quite long but a 10 foot shot with a decent look at the hoop that missed would have been a better shot. Even if he misses the shot, he would have a chance to get fouled in the process.

This presumes he is in control of his shot selection. This is only partially true. The golf analogy fails significantly on this issue. You can choose the club and swing/approach. Sure, you can claim environmental factors such as wind might impact what you are doing, but then you can also wait a brief period of time for that to change. You don't get the luxury of planning all these things in basketball. There are 5 independent actors in basketball whose goal is to influence and alter your shot selection. So, often instead of getting to some idealized best shot, you strive for the best available at that time. That 10 foot shot may not be available (or a better shot) given the time involved, the location of other players, and the skillset of the player involved. Those things are easy to interpret ex post facto but can be supremely difficult to determine at the time.

Go Spurs go!

A-Tex Devil
04-26-2019, 05:51 PM
I think it's awesome that Houston is in the Bay Area already. If Clips win game 5, the Rockets should go to game 7.

subzero02
04-26-2019, 09:36 PM
This presumes he is in control of his shot selection. This is only partially true. The golf analogy fails significantly on this issue. You can choose the club and swing/approach. Sure, you can claim environmental factors such as wind might impact what you are doing, but then you can also wait a brief period of time for that to change. You don't get the luxury of planning all these things in basketball. There are 5 independent actors in basketball whose goal is to influence and alter your shot selection. So, often instead of getting to some idealized best shot, you strive for the best available at that time. That 10 foot shot may not be available (or a better shot) given the time involved, the location of other players, and the skillset of the player involved. Those things are easy to interpret ex post facto but can be supremely difficult to determine at the time.

Go Spurs go!

Given the amount time that was on the clock and how Portland was spaced on the perimeter, Lillard had a good idea of what was going to be available to him. He could have gotten closer to the hoop for a shot but decided to take the side/back step 3 because he was in an amazing groove. Nothing will convince me that the shot he took was a good shot. It went in, they won but that was not a good basketball play.

kshepinthehouse
04-26-2019, 11:27 PM
Kevin Durant just completed the greatest half of basketball I’ve ever personally witnessed.

richardjackson199
04-26-2019, 11:31 PM
Kevin Durant just completed the greatest half of basketball I’ve ever personally witnessed.

38 points is a pretty good game for KD.

How about 38 points in a half! There is no defense for him. Perhaps drafting Greg Oden ahead of KD was a mistake.

GGLC
04-26-2019, 11:37 PM
Given the amount time that was on the clock and how Portland was spaced on the perimeter, Lillard had a good idea of what was going to be available to him. He could have gotten closer to the hoop for a shot but decided to take the side/back step 3 because he was in an amazing groove. Nothing will convince me that the shot he took was a good shot. It went in, they won but that was not a good basketball play.

Your first two sentences and second two sentences contradict each other, in my opinion.

tbyers11
04-27-2019, 12:03 AM
Your first two sentences and second two sentences contradict each other, in my opinion.

GGLC - you’ve been a strong proponent that it was a good decision by Lillard. I personally don’t think it was a bad shot. I think it was a ok/good shot with a great result.

A hypothetical question. Do you think there is any chance Lillard takes that shot if Portland is down one instead of tied? Would you still think it was a good shot in that situation?

GGLC
04-27-2019, 12:28 AM
GGLC - you’ve been a strong proponent that it was a good decision by Lillard. I personally don’t think it was a bad shot. I think it was a ok/good shot with a great result.

A hypothetical question. Do you think there is any chance Lillard takes that shot if Portland is down one instead of tied? Would you still think it was a good shot in that situation?

That's a good question. I defer to Dame's judgment. :) I do think the calculus changes, because the importance of not giving the Thunder another chance with the ball in regulation is dwarfed by the importance of maximizing the chances of scoring on whatever shot you can get, so I think they probably go for something which has some foul equity and offensive rebound equity if the shot misses. Which would not be the shot Lillard took.

Like, if they're down 1, then it's more important to get the best shot possible rather than get the best shot that is also the last shot. And I think those are different things. But imagine a game where Lillard drives, misses, and the Thunder rebound with time left on the clock. Potential disaster in a tie game scenario, but no added disaster (beyond the missed shot) in a scenario where they're behind.

If that makes sense at all.

richardjackson199
04-27-2019, 12:54 AM
I saw MJ play through his prime (as most of you did) and I think Kevin Durant is better.

Maybe I'm biased since MJ was a cheat. And KD chose to go to Rio to help the GOAT's USA team get another gold (when almost all the best of the best NBA players opted to stay home and watch on TV).

KD might need to be better than MJ in the next series as Steph Curry hurt his ankle again in game 6 and it significantly limited him. Next game less than 48 hours away, and who knows when that ankle gets better. 12:30 pm on Sunday tip. Very quick turnaround. Smart of Houston to already be in the Bay Area. I imagine lots of bettors will be taking the points + the Rockets in game 1.

Go Warriors. Win daddy a chocolate pecan pie.

subzero02
04-27-2019, 01:12 AM

It's called settling for a shot. He wasn't trying to get the best possible shot because he thought he could make the shot that he took. That doesn't mean he believed that the best shot available was 37 feet from the basket. Lillard would not be an all star PG in the NBA if he weren't capable of creating a better scoring opportunity under the game clock and perimeter spacing conditions at the end of that game.

GGLC
04-27-2019, 04:36 AM
It's called settling for a shot. He wasn't trying to get the best possible shot because he thought he could make the shot that he took. That doesn't mean he believed that the best shot available was 37 feet from the basket. Lillard would not be an all star PG in the NBA if he weren't capable of creating a better scoring opportunity under the game clock and perimeter spacing conditions at the end of that game.

If he thought he was going make the shot he took*, then he was trying to get the best possible shot by taking it. I'm not being glib. Did you read the Dave Deckard analysis I excerpted that highlights how being open means more to a shooter like Lillard than being closer to the basket? He got himself open and felt he didn't need to try to get closer and risk being less open against a defender with a six-inch wingspan advantage and a horde of hungry Thunder lurking.

*Admittedly different from thinking he "could" make the shot he took, which is what you said. I point this out because I'm not trying to change your words but to express something slightly distinct. I think it's not that he thought it was possible to make the shot he took, but that he WOULD make the shot he took, if open, with sufficient regularity to make it one of a number of potential "best possible shots."

subzero02
04-27-2019, 04:07 PM
If he thought he was going make the shot he took*, then he was trying to get the best possible shot by taking it. I'm not being glib. Did you read the Dave Deckard analysis I excerpted that highlights how being open means more to a shooter like Lillard than being closer to the basket? He got himself open and felt he didn't need to try to get closer and risk being less open against a defender with a six-inch wingspan advantage and a horde of hungry Thunder lurking.

*Admittedly different from thinking he "could" make the shot he took, which is what you said. I point this out because I'm not trying to change your words but to express something slightly distinct. I think it's not that he thought it was possible to make the shot he took, but that he WOULD make the shot he took, if open, with sufficient regularity to make it one of a number of potential "best possible shots."

I just watched the post game press conference.
Lillard said he was worried about not getting the call if he had driven in for a closer range shot and drawn contact. He essentially made the situation easier for the refs and the OKC defenders. It's not the job of the offensive player to avoid contact or avoid putting the refs in a position where they have to make the call. Voluntarily taking a more difficult shot than the situation calls for is a poor offensive strategy. It would be jnteresting to know if Lillard's shot selection would have been different if Portland were down a point.

bundabergdevil
04-27-2019, 09:00 PM
JJ and Danny Green getting into it. JJ just got a tech. Duke UNC never dies.

Wahoo2000
04-28-2019, 02:00 PM
I saw MJ play through his prime (as most of you did) and I think Kevin Durant is better.

Maybe I'm biased since MJ was a cheat. And KD chose to go to Rio to help the GOAT's USA team get another gold (when almost all the best of the best NBA players opted to stay home and watch on TV).

KD might need to be better than MJ in the next series as Steph Curry hurt his ankle again in game 6 and it significantly limited him. Next game less than 48 hours away, and who knows when that ankle gets better. 12:30 pm on Sunday tip. Very quick turnaround. Smart of Houston to already be in the Bay Area. I imagine lots of bettors will be taking the points + the Rockets in game 1.

Go Warriors. Win daddy a chocolate pecan pie.

Whew. I get you guys hate all things UNC, but...... really? I think your post is perfect if you just remove the word *maybe* from your opening sentence of paragraph 2.

In other news - looking forward to this rockets/warriors series with great interest. Like you, I'll be pulling hard for the Warriors. I may not enjoy one team (unless it's mine) winning dynastically, but if it's team concepts and great passing vs ISO ball to the extreme, give me the side playing team ball every time. Harden might be incredibly talented and efficient, but MAN..... it gets super boring for me watching him walk it down, dribble in place 20 times, then "go" on like 90% of their halfcourt possessions.

richardjackson199
04-28-2019, 02:14 PM
Whew. I get you guys hate all things UNC, but... really? I think your post is perfect if you just remove the word *maybe* from your opening sentence of paragraph 2.

In other news - looking forward to this rockets/warriors series with great interest. Like you, I'll be pulling hard for the Warriors. I may not enjoy one team (unless it's mine) winning dynastically, but if it's team concepts and great passing vs ISO ball to the extreme, give me the side playing team ball every time. Harden might be incredibly talented and efficient, but MAN... it gets super boring for me watching him walk it down, dribble in place 20 times, then "go" on like 90% of their halfcourt possessions.

oh yeah, the maybe was facetious. I'm 100% biased against all things cheats. And yep, really. I watched both play and I think KD is better than MJ. KD isn't done. I know virtually nobody agrees with that assessment. MJ had the most heart and competitive fire I've ever seen. MJ was more athletic. But KD is a better player. He does it all at the highest level. I'm not going to win this argument though. Maybe... I'm just biased and wrong. ;)

subzero02
04-28-2019, 02:39 PM
Boston and Kyrie are taking it to Milwaukee right now... Irving has 19 points and 9 assists with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Boston's defense is really disrupting the Bucks' flow in half court sets... not a lot of easy looks at the basket. Boston isn't trying to steal every pass but it seems like they are minimizing the space available to make and receive passes. They're also blocking shots and have been very solid on the defensive glass.

richardjackson199
04-28-2019, 02:58 PM
Boston and Kyrie are taking it to Milwaukee right now... Irving has 19 points and 9 assists with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Boston's defense is really disrupting the Bucks' flow in half court sets... not a lot of easy looks at the basket. Boston isn't trying to steal every pass but it seems like they are minimizing the space available to make and receive passes. They're also blocking shots and have been very solid on the defensive glass.

Yep. I thought taking Boston and the points was a smart value bet. Boston beat the Bucks last year in the playoffs with smart ball movement and great coaching. Sure the Bucks are much better this year. But so is Boston, now. Irving and Hayward are peaking, and that was evident in the Indiana series. Tatum, Horford, Brown, Morris, and all the other Celtics are also still playing well and doing their thing. I love Stevens move of playing Rozier with Kyrie. Go Celtics!

richardjackson199
04-28-2019, 03:06 PM
Dagger from Irving. This game is over.

subzero02
04-28-2019, 04:57 PM
Yep. I thought taking Boston and the points was a smart value bet. Boston beat the Bucks last year in the playoffs with smart ball movement and great coaching. Sure the Bucks are much better this year. But so is Boston, now. Irving and Hayward are peaking, and that was evident in the Indiana series. Tatum, Horford, Brown, Morris, and all the other Celtics are also still playing well and doing their thing. I love Stevens move of playing Rozier with Kyrie. Go Celtics!

They really frustrated Giannis on the offensive end. They pretty much shut down his scoring in the paint and that was due to solid team defense both in the half court and transition. Horford gets a lot of credit but the defense on Giannis was truly a team effort. The Greek freak finished with 21 points on 7 of 21 shooting.
But by my count he only had 7 points that didn't come from the foul line (5 of 10) or from 3 (3 of 5). He shot 50% from the foul line, 60% from 3 and 25% from 2. That's great 2 pont defense on Giannis. For the season, Giannis is scoring in the paint at a rate that hasn't been seen since Shaq was in his prime.

kshepinthehouse
04-28-2019, 08:43 PM
This Houston/Golden State series is gonna be feisty. Warriors pretty much gave it to KD every time when the game was close until Curry hit a big 3. This is going to be one for the ages With quite possibly the two best scorers in the league going head to head.

A-Tex Devil
04-28-2019, 09:00 PM
This Houston/Golden State series is gonna be feisty. Warriors pretty much gave it to KD every time when the game was close until Curry hit a big 3. This is going to be one for the ages With quite possibly the two best scorers in the league going head to head.

Loved the Utah Jazz tweets. All the calls that Utah got called for (rightly so) for jumping into the shooter’s landing space weren’t called this afternoon. I don’t care where the league wants to take it ultimately, but that interpretation can’t change game to game. It’s ridiculous.

pfrduke
04-28-2019, 09:00 PM

I’m not sure Harden on Durant one-on-one is really the matchup Houston wants. With that defensive set up, I’d go to Durant every time down the court too.

Steven43
04-28-2019, 09:18 PM
Loved the Utah Jazz tweets. All the calls that Utah got called for (rightly so) for jumping into the shooter’s landing space weren’t called this afternoon. I don’t care where the league wants to take it ultimately, but that interpretation can’t change game to game. It’s ridiculous.

True, it is ridiculous. But it is also ridiculous the way Harden sometimes will kick his legs forward on his jumpshot in a shameless attempt to try and draw a foul. Can’t stand to watch this clown play, though he is immensely talented.

kshepinthehouse
04-28-2019, 10:36 PM

It’s going to be a tough series to officiate. Chris Paul on one attempt to draw a foul on a three pointer turned his hip into Livingston. It’s hard to tell exactly what is going on, is Harden trying to flop on his 3s or are they not giving him space to land. It’s both in a lot of cases. However, Harden would have shot about 25 free throws if the refs would have called a foul every time he thought he had gotten fouled. It feels like the Rockets we’re trying to draw fouls on 3s rather than simply trying to make the shot.

budwom
04-29-2019, 08:00 AM
They really frustrated Giannis on the offensive end. They pretty much shut down his scoring in the paint and that was due to solid team defense both in the half court and transition. Horford gets a lot of credit but the defense on Giannis was truly a team effort. The Greek freak finished with 21 points on 7 of 21 shooting.
But by my count he only had 7 points that didn't come from the foul line (5 of 10) or from 3 (3 of 5). He shot 50% from the foul line, 60% from 3 and 25% from 2. That's great 2 pont defense on Giannis. For the season, Giannis is scoring in the paint at a rate that hasn't been seen since Shaq was in his prime.

Coach Brad is a very clever fellow.

Billy Dat
04-29-2019, 09:18 AM

True, it is ridiculous. But it is also ridiculous the way Harden sometimes will kick his legs forward on his jumpshot in a shameless attempt to try and draw a foul. Can’t stand to watch this clown play, though he is immensely talented.

It’s going to be a tough series to officiate. Chris Paul on one attempt to draw a foul on a three pointer turned his hip into Livingston. It’s hard to tell exactly what is going on, is Harden trying to flop on his 3s or are they not giving him space to land. It’s both in a lot of cases. However, Harden would have shot about 25 free throws if the refs would have called a foul every time he thought he had gotten fouled. It feels like the Rockets we’re trying to draw fouls on 3s rather than simply trying to make the shot.

You guys have echoed my primary takeaway after Game 1, they are going to have to consistently officiate this particular aspect of the offensive/defensive collision. Both the shooter and the defender have gotten very deft at forcing very difficult calls in these spots.

I guess this topic is THE headline today:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26629293/the-officiating-rockets-vs-warriors-series-threatens-define-rivalry

While I don't agree with richard above that KD is better than MJ, the dude is a remorseless scoring machine. The amount of offensive talent in this series is dazzling, and I love that it is already chippy, but that's a given with CP3 and Draymond. Wouldn't it be great if they both just squared off and started throwing haymakers? OK, maybe that's too violent.

Having not watched much Bucks ball this year, I was not ready for the onslaught of 3s from every man on the court. They'll need those shots to fall to free up the Freak a bit more. Big props to Big Al Horford who is as smart as they come playing D.

The Raps looked very tough in Game 1, especially Kawhi who completely went off. My gut says the Sixers are not mature enough to beat this Toronto team but I have been burned many times judging a series on Game 1 so I'll reserve judgement.

Props to all our boys playing in Round 2...Kyrie, Jayson, JJ, Mason, Seth, Rodney, Gary Jr., Quinn, Austin (not sure if Tricky is traveling with the squad). Unless the Raptors or Bucks win the title (which is very possible), there will be some additional Dukies with rings come the end of June.

DukieInBrasil
04-29-2019, 10:12 AM
Props to all our boys playing in Round 2...Kyrie, Jayson, JJ, Mason, Seth, Rodney, Gary Jr., Quinn, Austin (not sure if Tricky is traveling with the squad). Unless the Raptors or Bucks win the title (which is very possible), there will be some additional Dukies with rings come the end of June.

I read that he is not, due to being on a 2-way contract, and therefore not eligible for the Playoffs (?). Amile was in the same situation withe Orlando Magic prior to their elimination.

PackMan97
04-29-2019, 11:02 AM
It’s hard to tell exactly what is going on, is Harden trying to flop on his 3s or are they not giving him space to land. It’s both in a lot of cases.

https://youtu.be/m4H1mI2qDV8?t=75

Here is a great shot, it should be set up for a slow motion of Harden's final shot. You can see him shoot and his natural motion and then you see an extra kick with his legs out. NO WAY can he land properly with that leg kick. He's flopping. The contact really seems to be the result of the kick, but Greene also moved into the landing zone. Good no call?

Troublemaker
04-29-2019, 11:11 AM
Whew. I get you guys hate all things UNC, but... really? I think your post is perfect if you just remove the word *maybe* from your opening sentence of paragraph 2.

It's really not that ridiculous to suggest that Jordan isn't the greatest of all time. Durant might very well have a case eventually. He's every bit the freak -- one of the greatest shooters of all time combined with his height / length makes it so hard to challenge his shot, such that Durant's jumpshot can be as unstoppable as Jordan's fadeaways back in the day. I think Kareem's sky hook was more unstoppable than either. I'll take Jordan over Durant but there are number of all-time greats that can be in the conversation for GOAT and not have it be ridiculous.

Warriors in 5, imo. Houston missed their shot in Game 1 with Steph and Klay gimpy.

J4Kop99
04-29-2019, 12:10 PM
As respects James Harden:

--What is an ref/defender supposed to do when Harden:

1.Takes a step back
2.Then side steps (how this is not a travel is beyond me)
3.Then propels himself forward to shoot
4.Then kicks out his legs/feet and throws his body toward the defender

????

D'antoni coached teams have always had a reputation for flopping. Add in Chris Paul, arguably the most notorious flopper in the league AND James Harden? You reap what you sow.

--I am not sure who subscribes to The Athletic but Sam Amick wrote an embarrassingly tone deaf article after yesterday's game that read as if it was directly from the Rocket's PR dept. Houston is really gonna play out this narrative? Do they want to self-report all the missed calls on Harden push offs and CP3 head-jerking-back flops?

CrazyNotCrazie
04-29-2019, 12:15 PM

1.Takes a step back

????

D'antoni coached teams have always had a reputation for flopping. Add in Chris Paul, arguably the most notorious flopper in the league AND James Harden? You reap what you sow.

--I am not sure who subscribes to The Athletic but Sam Amick wrote an embarrassingly tone deaf article after yesterday's game that read as if it was directly from the Rocket's PR dept. Houston is really gonna play out this narrative? Do they want to self-report all the missed calls on Harden push offs and CP3 head-jerking-back flops?

If Harden kicks his legs into the defender and the defender is maintaining verticality (I think that is a word?), shouldn't the defender flop back and hope for a charge? I highly doubt this would ever be called but it would be interesting to see.

I am a much bigger college than pro fan and the increasing theatrics of the players and the increased role of the refs in the NBA playoffs is pushing me further in this direction.

kshepinthehouse
04-29-2019, 12:19 PM

Here is a great shot, it should be set up for a slow motion of Harden's final shot. You can see him shoot and his natural motion and then you see an extra kick with his legs out. NO WAY can he land properly with that leg kick. He's flopping. The contact really seems to be the result of the kick, but Greene also moved into the landing zone. Good no call?

That’s the way I see it. Harden sometimes jumps forward as well.

Duke79UNLV77
04-29-2019, 12:25 PM

1.Takes a step back

????

Harden unnaturally kicks his feet so far forward, that, if he gets that call (like he does way too much), the defender would have to give him a good 6 feet of clear space on the shot. Pause the video when his feet first leave the floor way behind the line and then when they land in front of the line. It's a ridiculous flop. I definitely agree with not calling a foul on GS there.

A-Tex Devil
04-29-2019, 12:55 PM
Harden unnaturally kicks his feet so far forward, that, if he gets that call (like he does way too much), the defender would have to give him a good 6 feet of clear space on the shot. Pause the video when his feet first leave the floor way behind the line and then when they land in front of the line. It's a ridiculous flop. I definitely agree with not calling a foul on GS there.

Perhaps this is too difficult to officiate, but it seems that if the defender lands in the spot where the shooter jumps from and there is contact, it should be a foul. Period. Doesn't matter what the shooter does. If the defender lands in front of that spot and the shooter contacts him with lower body, it's either a foul on shooter or no call. There was a you tube clip or something that took about 30 of Harden's threes where he got fouled, and almost every one of them the defender landed where Harden jumped from or hit Harden's hand. They were almost all fouls by the letter of the law. I'd have to go find it.

This is all coming from the Zaza/Kawhi incident several years ago, and good three point shooters are taking advantage. Harden has perfected it. It doesn't mean it's not a foul until there is a rule change.

Also, I don't think the last shot was a foul. I do think that Paul got mauled by Klay trying to set up another three. That was a ridiculous no call.

GGLC
04-29-2019, 12:59 PM
Klay committed about five obvious uncalled fouls on three-pointers vs Harden and Paul, mostly in the first half.

I agree that the foul call on the last shot was questionable.

Steven43
04-29-2019, 01:05 PM

Yes, it was a good no-call.

gam7
04-29-2019, 01:26 PM
Klay committed about five obvious uncalled fouls on three-pointers vs Harden and Paul, mostly in the first half.

I agree that the foul call on the last shot was questionable.

Giannis thought the refs in the GSW-HOU game were great last night - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWajqr55HFg.

Wahoo2000
04-29-2019, 03:00 PM
Perhaps this is too difficult to officiate, but it seems that if the defender lands in the spot where the shooter jumps from and there is contact, it should be a foul. Period. Doesn't matter what the shooter does. If the defender lands in front of that spot and the shooter contacts him with lower body, it's either a foul on shooter or no call. There was a you tube clip or something that took about 30 of Harden's threes where he got fouled, and almost every one of them the defender landed where Harden jumped from or hit Harden's hand. They were almost all fouls by the letter of the law. I'd have to go find it.

This is all coming from the Zaza/Kawhi incident several years ago, and good three point shooters are taking advantage. Harden has perfected it. It doesn't mean it's not a foul until there is a rule change.

Also, I don't think the last shot was a foul. I do think that Paul got mauled by Klay trying to set up another three. That was a ridiculous no call.

This guy nailed it. Sporks. IF the defensive player comes down inside about a 2-3 foot radius of where the shooter TOOK OFF from and contacts the shooter, then it should be a foul. If the offensive player jumps forward (or kicks his legs forward) out of that radius, it should be a no-call or offensive foul. EASY.

That last 3 Harden took wasn't called a foul, and shouldn't be. However, there were at LEAST 3-4 in the first half that were blatant fouls on the 3 on Golden State that went uncalled. They weren't CLOSE calls, they were blatant fouls. That said, I'm rooting for the Warriors in this series so I'm not going to get too upset about it ;-)

I will say that it falls in my never-ending frustration with one specific area of sports in general. The idea to me, that postseason games (in any sport) should be refereed/umpired in ANY different way than the regular season contests which came before is abhorrent. I've learned to expect it, but I'll ALWAYS hate it. Refs can decide the game by NOT making calls just as much as they do by MAKING calls. Anybody who says, "but they want to let the players decide the game in the playoffs", is (apologies if this describes you) an IDIOT.

elvis14
04-29-2019, 03:02 PM
It was so refreshing to see Paul and Harden not get the benefit of the doubt on those flops. I know they are upset because a couple of the no-calls were bad calls but until they start calling Harden for creating contact, pushing off, traveling and start calling Paul for mugging every person he ever guards, I'm OK with no calls and bad calls going against them. Then there's the flopping. Harden falls down anytime someone breathes on him and he gets a call. It's like watching mens world cup soccer.

As for Paul, I don't understand how that guy gets to play defense by holding, bumping, grabbing, hacking etc. like no other player in the league. I can understand guys MVP-level like Harden, Curry, Durant, LBJ, Giannis etc getting calls but Paul? Really? THAT guy just gets to mug everyone? When JJ was on the Clips with Paul, I was rooting for that team...even then I'd just shake my head at what Paul was allowed. When the Clips played OKC with Durant and Paul was able to slow down KD by fouling him non-stop I was in disbelief (yet I wanted JJ to succeed so I didn't complain much). In the playoffs last year, I swear that CP3 getting hurt was straight up karma from they was he was allowed to hammer Steph Curry game after game with no calls.

I fully expect the GSW to get hosed in a big way in game 2. It'll be GSW vs HR+Refs and it'll take a heck of a performance from the champs to win.

Steven43
04-29-2019, 03:53 PM
This guy nailed it. Sporks. IF the defensive player comes down inside about a 2-3 foot radius of where the shooter TOOK OFF from and contacts the shooter, then it should be a foul. If the offensive player jumps forward (or kicks his legs forward) out of that radius, it should be a no-call or offensive foul. EASY.

That last 3 Harden took wasn't called a foul, and shouldn't be. However, there were at LEAST 3-4 in the first half that were blatant fouls on the 3 on Golden State that went uncalled. They weren't CLOSE calls, they were blatant fouls. That said, I'm rooting for the Warriors in this series so I'm not going to get too upset about it ;-)

I will say that it falls in my never-ending frustration with one specific area of sports in general. The idea to me, that postseason games (in any sport) should be refereed/umpired in ANY different way than the regular season contests which came before is abhorrent. I've learned to expect it, but I'll ALWAYS hate it. Refs can decide the game by NOT making calls just as much as they do by MAKING calls. Anybody who says, "but they want to let the players decide the game in the playoffs", is (apologies if this describes you) an IDIOT.
Well, if you are frustrated with the referees in the NBA, then you must be about 100 times more frustrated with the referees in college. As a general rule the NBA refs are INFINITELY better than those in college. So there’s that.

Also, you mention the supposedly blatant fouls that Golden State committed that were not called. Well, what about the blatant push-offs that Harden and Chris Paul continually committed throughout the game that went uncalled? Are you upset about those?

elvis14
04-29-2019, 04:03 PM
Well, if you are frustrated with the referees in the NBA, then you must be about 100 times more frustrated with the referees in college. As a general rule the NBA refs are INFINITELY better than those in college. So there’s that.

Also, you mention the supposedly blatant fouls that Golden State committed that were not called. Well, what about the blatant push-offs that Harden and Chris Paul continually committed throughout the game that went uncalled? Are you upset about those?

This * 1000. Paul should probably foul out of every game....in the first quarter!

As for the NCAA refs...let's just say that if the refs don't "Let 'em play" that MSU loses to Duke by 15.

GGLC
04-29-2019, 04:21 PM

You weren't asking me, but I am, yes.

Blatant fouls should be called, no matter which team commits them, and it's an embarrassment and an injustice that they're not... especially when the lack of calls seems to be selective based on, say, starpower.

Utah is sitting at home wondering why they didn't get the same benefit time after time after time in their series.

rsvman
04-29-2019, 04:24 PM
The official word from the two-minute drill is that it was a good no-call.
Having said that, they also said that the refs missed two foil calls on Steph in the last 70 seconds of the game.

Acymetric
04-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Should we create a separate "2019 NBA Playoff Officiating" thread?

Or rather...can we?

elvis14
04-29-2019, 04:51 PM

Or rather...can we?

Normally, I'd agree with you but in this case, the topic is the main item of discussion (outside of DBR) for the NBA Playoffs. Sad but true.

Acymetric
04-29-2019, 04:55 PM
Normally, I'd agree with you but in this case, the topic is the main item of discussion (outside of DBR) for the NBA Playoffs. Sad but true.

Oh, I know. I'm tired of it there too (and not just this one instance). Mind-numbing.

Steven43
04-29-2019, 05:01 PM

Or rather...can we?

Yes, it is highly annoying and tedious, but unfortunately, quite relevant.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-29-2019, 05:07 PM

It reminds me of some recent articles I read about the NFL considering rule changes for next year - one of the main frustrations was that there was excellent football being played in the playoffs, but ultimately the topic of conversation was blown calls, but well-played football. The NBA should be worried about the same thing happening. This should be priority 1 for Adam Silver.

elvis14
04-29-2019, 05:11 PM
For those of us that get frustrated watching Harden get call after call:

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/04/29/james-harden-warriors-rockets-referees-officiating-fouls?utm_campaign=si-extra&utm_source=si.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2019042916PM&eminfo=%7b%22EMAIL%22%3a%22quZzvlfPrdbWoTGiSYmKKxz ZlKlo4jT13ocalZtETZo%3d%22%2c%22BRAND%22%3a%22SI%2 2%2c%22CONTENT%22%3a%22Newsletter%22%2c%22UID%22%3 a%22SI_EXT_2999D2E5-22E3-4502-B64A-7506140C2665%22%2c%22SUBID%22%3a%2298787834%22%2c% 22JOBID%22%3a%22948048%22%2c%22NEWSLETTER%22%3a%22 SI_EXTRA%22%2c%22ZIP%22%3a%22%22%2c%22COUNTRY%22%3 a%22CAN%22%7d

If you're pro-Harden this article isn't likely to make you super happy.

Probably the most interesting part is how the article claims that the Rockets are pushing boundaries...

Steven43
04-29-2019, 05:21 PM
Utah is sitting at home wondering why they didn't get the same benefit time after time after time in their series.
Perhaps you’re right, but did you really watch all of those Utah v Houston games, and watch them closely enough to look at the allegedly uncalled fouls that supposedly occurred over and over again? And to make matters worse, Rudy Gobert has been making comments seemingly siding with and reinforcing the complaining of that weasel, Harden.

Though it might not be Gobert’s intent, his comments are, in effect, providing ammunition for those notorious Butchers of the Hardwood, Harden, Paul, and P.J. Tucker (not to mention the ultra whiny D’Antoni). That is just completely unacceptable, because this Houston Rockets team is perhaps the most flagrant NBA offender of the past two decades at trying to get away with transgressions they continually commit — on both sides of the ball — throughout every single game.

Steven43
04-29-2019, 05:52 PM
You weren't asking me, but I am, yes.

Blatant fouls should be called, no matter which team commits them, and it's an embarrassment and an injustice that they're not... especially when the lack of calls seems to be selective based on, say, starpower.

While re-reading what I just written to you in response to something you had written, I realized that you didn’t actually have to watch the Utah v Houston games to know FOR CERTAIN that the Rockets were continually committing fouls throughout all five games, on both sides of the ball, and that the vast majority of them went uncalled. My apologies for even asking if you had closely watched that series, for the answer was obvious: OF COURSE Utah did not get the calls they deserved to get while facing Houston. You don’t have to watch every Rockets games to know this. If the refs were to call every transgression Houston commits there would literally never be more than 10 seconds at a time that would go without a foul call.

A-Tex Devil
04-29-2019, 06:44 PM
Perhaps you’re right, but did you really watch all of those Utah v Houston games, and watch them closely enough to look at the allegedly uncalled fouls that supposedly occurred over and over again? And to make matters worse, Rudy Gobert has been making comments seemingly siding with and reinforcing the complaining of that weasel, Harden.

Though it might not be Gobert’s intent, his comments are, in effect, providing ammunition for those notorious Butchers of the Hardwood, Harden, Paul, and P.J. Tucker (not to mention the ultra whiny D’Antoni). That is just completely unacceptable, because this Houston Rockets team is perhaps the most flagrant NBA offender of the past two decades at trying to get away with transgressions they continually commit — on both sides of the ball — throughout every single game.

Those are fighting words. PJ Tucker is all sorts of awesome. I've been pining for him to be on the Rockets for years.

Steven43
04-29-2019, 07:10 PM
Those are fighting words. PJ Tucker is all sorts of awesome. I've been pining for him to be on the Rockets for years.

I know he’s darn good. I fully agree with you there. Dude is a straight-up baller. But watch him closely on defense. Oh my goodness, he is a master at all kinds of deviousness. And I fully admit I would love for him to suit up for my Celtics!

JNort
04-29-2019, 07:54 PM
Lotta blind hate going on in here today. Let me just throw in my .02 here and anger some of you.

-CP3 is awesome!
-Harden rarely travels on those step back shots.
-Good no call at the end.
-The Rockets and Warriors have made the game better with their style.
-I'll agree on the hate for star players getting away with a bunch but I disagree that all the fouls need to be strictly called (don't care about how often they travel in the open court or palming the ball).
-Players should get a tech everytime they argue with a ref
-Coaches should get tossed everytime they step onto the floor during play.

kshepinthehouse
04-29-2019, 08:21 PM
So let me get this straight, years ago a couple of players on the Suns took a step from their bench into the floor during a scrum and were suspended for a game 6 I believe, likely costing them a chance to beat the Spurs. Chris Paul makes contact with a ref yesterday and he only gets a fine?

Steven43
04-29-2019, 08:44 PM
Lotta blind hate going on in here today. Let me just throw in my .02 here and anger some of you.

-CP3 is awesome!
-Harden rarely travels on those step back shots.
-Good no call at the end.
-The Rockets and Warriors have made the game better with their style.
-I'll agree on the hate for star players getting away with a bunch but I disagree that all the fouls need to be strictly called (don't care about how often they travel in the open court or palming the ball).
-Players should get a tech everytime they argue with a ref
-Coaches should get tossed everytime they step onto the floor during play.

1) Chris Paul is a very good player, but he is dirty as all getout.
2) Can’t say I agree about Harden rarely traveling.
3) Yes, good no-call at the end.
4) Not sure why you are lumping the Warriors and Rockets together style-wise. I disagree that the Rockets style is a positive in any way, shape, or form. I think quite the opposite. I agree that the Warriors style is (mostly) a positive.
5) Agree that the stars get away with more. Agree, also, that it would not be a positive to strictly call every foul. At least not until the players first stop trying to get away with so much crap. Then start calling every foul. But if they tried to strictly call every foul now the game would be 100% unwatchable.
6) Agree that players should get a technical for blatantly and strenuously arguing with a ref.
7) Do not agree that coaches should get ejected for stepping on the court. But I do think they should get a technical every single time. And let’s start with that serial transgressor, Buzz Williams.

Steven43
04-29-2019, 08:49 PM
So let me get this straight, years ago a couple of players on the Suns took a step from their bench into the floor during a scrum and were suspended for a game 6 I believe, likely costing them a chance to beat the Spurs. Chris Paul makes contact with a ref yesterday and he only gets a fine?

Hmm, interesting observation. Hadn’t thought about it that way. I need to rewatch that play to see just how aggressive Chris Paul was with the ref. If he purposely got right in the ref’s face, took away his personal space, and then actually made contact with him because of his aggressiveness, he should be suspended for Game Two.