PDA

View Full Version : Zion. You have to watch this.

Furniture
04-10-2019, 11:35 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1116163138817335296

O goodness. Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but people need to watch this.
This kid is amazing....So humble, thankful to his teammates, to Duke, Coach K, the crazies...
wow.

Lurkingdukedog
04-11-2019, 10:09 AM

O goodness. Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but people need to watch this.
This kid is amazing...So humble, thankful to his teammates, to Duke, Coach K, the crazies...
wow.

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

Rich
04-11-2019, 10:16 AM

This kid is amazing...So humble, thankful to his teammates, to Duke, Coach K, the crazies...
wow.

Am I the only one who sees videos like this, and all the awards, and it just makes me more disappointed that we could not get to the Final Four? Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the journey, but man, what a talent, and we couldn't find a way to get past the Elite 8 (again). I know, the tourney format is a crap shoot and all, but I just feel we missed (wasted?) a tremendous opportunity with this kid on the roster. I was disappointed last year, but it was different and way less intense.

kAzE
04-11-2019, 10:30 AM
I love Zion. He's just such a good, down to earth, humble, and genuine kid. It makes me sad every time I think about how he's played his last game for Duke, but hopefully we'll all have a chance to watch him represent Duke for a long time in the NBA.

He's a huge breath of fresh air in contrast to the Antonio Browns of the world. Hopefully, kids will try to emulate Zion instead of the more self-centered superstar athletes. We need more Zions.

Never change, Zion. Thank you for all your hard work this year!

MCFinARL
04-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Am I the only one who sees videos like this, and all the awards, and it just makes me more disappointed that we could not get to the Final Four? Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the journey, but man, what a talent, and we couldn't find a way to get past the Elite 8 (again). I know, the tourney format is a crap shoot and all, but I just feel we missed (wasted?) a tremendous opportunity with this kid on the roster. I was disappointed last year, but it was different and way less intense.

Stuff happens. But the most disappointing part, really, was not getting to see Zion play one or two more games in college. Duke fans aren't the only people regretting that.

Edouble
04-11-2019, 12:21 PM

You are not the only one. I feel the same way... the way I felt exactly 20 years ago when Elton went #1 in the draft and cleaned up most of the POY awards.

Troublemaker
04-11-2019, 01:26 PM

The MSU loss was certainly one of the most disappointing NCAAT losses in awhile but the season was not a waste the way you describe it for a few reasons:

(1) Zion himself didn't play all that well in the loss. He had 5 turnovers, relatedly posted his worse offensive rating (104) since before Christmas, and seemed to not want the ball in the closing possessions. If Zion had instead played (near) perfectly like he had often this season, *then* while I would still disagree, I could maybe see it more from your bolded POV of Duke wasting him and him existing outside of the waste. But Zion was part of the waste, so to speak.

(2) There were tons of great memories from this season if you go through the games. Think about the comeback at Louisville, for example.

(3) Philosophically, are bullets that miss the target a waste compared to the bullets that hit? This is the main reason why I'm writing this post. It strikes me that the only way to overcome the NCAAT being a crapshoot is through the brute force of a numbers advantage -- produce a very good team over and over again, and eventually one will break through. Like UVA this season. Same program that had disappointing NCAAT results previously, but different luck this time around. (Which they shouldn't have to apologize for since they were probably unlucky in some previous runs.)

I can't say this season for Duke was a waste. We produced a top-5 team that *could* have gotten to a Final Four but just happened not to. Same with the season before. Taking the long view, we need to continue producing that quality of team (like UVA has done over and over), and eventually one will catch the needed breaks and break through. (Re: catching the needed breaks, you probably can't have Zion return from injury on March 14th and expect the team to click on all cylinders in the second half of March).

kako
04-11-2019, 01:35 PM

I feel you, but maybe think of it this way - winning it all is *hard*. It's *very hard*. Even with a generational talent and team, it's still *very hard*. Single elimination tournaments are so fraught with peril for even the best teams (the worst to me, still to date, is the '99 team). There's definitely luck involved, which no one can game plan for. If Langdon gets that shot off, if Barrett hits that 3, if Allen's shot rolls in... but the basketball gods said no... There are 330 teams vying for just a chance to get it. 68 teams finally get to have a shot at it. But only 1 team finishes with it. Again, it's *hard*... Which is why it's so incredibly amazing that Duke has won 5 championships is 29 years, 2 this decade (where Duke is definitely the college team of the decade). We are so fortunate! And the really incredible thing is that Duke, once again, will be in the heated mix for it next year. We all have had our grief about this season. But like for all grief, one must move on. And as K says, next play.

Thanks to the OP for the great video. Zion seems like such a good guy. I especially liked the section in the hospital. "These guys may be good." Totally tongue-in-cheek ;). But by introducing them, it showed me (again) that Zion is a team player, even with guys in a hospital. I'm surprised the Buckmire wasn't there at the awards ceremonies with him... Last thought - can't Laettner afford a suit? :p

9F

Rich
04-11-2019, 01:50 PM
I can't say this season for Duke was a waste. We produced a top-5 team that *could* have gotten to a Final Four but just happened not to. Same with the season before. Taking the long view, we need to continue producing that quality of team (like UVA has done over and over), and eventually one will catch the needed breaks and break through. (Re: catching the needed breaks, you probably can't have Zion return from injury on March 14th and expect the team to click on all cylinders in the second half of March).

I feel you, but maybe think of it this way - winning it all is *hard*. It's *very hard*. Even with a generational talent and team, it's still *very hard*. Single elimination tournaments are so fraught with peril for even the best teams (the worst to me, still to date, is the '99 team). There's definitely luck involved, which no one can game plan for. If Langdon gets that shot off, if Barrett hits that 3, if Allen's shot rolls in... but the basketball gods said no... There are 330 teams vying for just a chance to get it. 68 teams finally get to have a shot at it. But only 1 team finishes with it. Again, it's *hard*... Which is why it's so incredibly amazing that Duke has won 5 championships is 29 years, 2 this decade (where Duke is definitely the college team of the decade). We are so fortunate! And the really incredible thing is that Duke, once again, will be in the heated mix for it next year. We all have had our grief about this season. But like for all grief, one must move on. And as K says, next play.

For the most part, I absolutely love love love this community for being so reasonable, rational and data driven. The exceptions are the one spork posters who seem to migrate to this Board with negativity after a loss, but I won't get into that. Other than that, when I come here, I usually feel better about what we accomplished, and appreciate the great insights and metrics into why we lost a particular game or, in this case, our last game of the season.

What makes it harder are the outsiders who consider this season a disappointment since we had and lost Zion (and all of his POY awards), RJ (and his awards), Cam, and Tre, a group never to return. I've also heard the word failure thrown around about this season. It bums me out. I guess I just have to do a better job of letting the haters hate and not get sucked into the media hype or clicks.

TwiceDuke
04-12-2019, 07:58 PM
I'll echo the sentiments above.

I've wanted to contribute in the post-season analysis but found myself unable. For a while, I attributed it to the disappointment of losing. But I now realize it's heartbreak at having to say a form of goodbye to Zion (and RJ). It was similar, but a lesser degree with JJ and Shelden, who were classmates of mine (to date myself).

If there has been any silver lining to the one and done era, it has been the emotional distance from the players and the teams. This year it was impossible. Zion was a great player and great representative of the University. RJ was a great player and great representative of the University. The others were also great representatives of the University, and great players in their own right.

In closing, my favorite part of the season was the clear bond between RJ and Zion, as others have said. For those who are not returning, I will miss them greatly.

SavDukeGrad
04-12-2019, 08:01 PM
I'll echo the sentiments above.

I've wanted to contribute in the post-season analysis but found myself unable. For a while, I attributed it to the disappointment of losing. But I now realize it's heartbreak at having to say a form of goodbye to Zion (and RJ). It was similar, but a lesser degree with JJ and Sheldon, who were classmates of mine (to date myself).

If there has been any silver lining to the one and done era, it has been the emotional distance from the players and the teams. This year it was impossible. Zion was a great player and great representative of the University. RJ was a great player and great representative of the University. The others were also great representatives of the University, and great players in their own right.

In closing, my favorite part of the season was the clear bond between RJ and Zion, as others have said. For those who are not returning, I will miss them greatly.

Tune in to ESPN2 right now to see Zion and R.J. together at the Wooden Awards! 8 pm.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-12-2019, 08:02 PM

I think that was my favorite part too.....there are two great images floating around....one with RJ jumping in unison while Zion was slamming one through...and then Zion jumping in unison while RJ was doing his reverse jam in the NCAAT. Both are amazing photos....for so many reasons. Makes me smile.

And Zion...man....he had me giggling during some games.......that's never happened before.

richardjackson199
04-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Zion just won the Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year award on ESPN 2, presented to him by the Mail Man himself.

They asked Zion up on stage if he was going to declare for the NBA draft. He smiled and said, "Who knows?" As in, this is not how I'm going to declare it.

They also asked him about his shoe blowing out. He gave some insight into what happened behind the scenes. He said he was on the training table and burst into tears when he was hurt. He said his Mom comforted him, and reminded him that it was part of God's plan, and he would be back. When get gets that $100 million shoe contract, he can throw a little extra into the tithe plate.

Bluedog
04-12-2019, 09:41 PM
But I now realize it's heartbreak at having to say a form of goodbye to Zion (and RJ). It was similar, but a lesser degree with JJ and Sheldon, who were classmates of mine (to date myself).

While I love me some Zion, saying goodbye to JJ and Shelden was much harder to me given they had been at Duke for four years and contributed so much over a longer timeframe. Easier to form bonds that last longer with those guys (and I was also at Duke with them — will never forget JJ stopping by our dorm common room right before the super bowl).

So, while I’ll miss Zion, his departure is expected and he was only at Duke one year - but what a year it was!

Onlyduke
04-13-2019, 08:37 AM
I love Zion. He's just such a good, down to earth, humble, and genuine kid. It makes me sad every time I think about how he's played his last game for Duke, but hopefully we'll all have a chance to watch him represent Duke for a long time in the NBA.

He's a huge breath of fresh air in contrast to the Antonio Browns of the world. Hopefully, kids will try to emulate Zion instead of the more self-centered superstar athletes. We need more Zions.

Never change, Zion. Thank you for all your hard work this year!

My feelings, exactly! I'm going to miss Zion like crazy! What a special person.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
04-13-2019, 10:28 AM
I’m disappointed like every Duke fan. I console myself with the fact we were 3-0 versus the final two teams. Has any other team ever been able to say that? This was one of the most fun seasons ever, excepting only the shoe blowout. This team had “great” guys who also were “great” players.