PDA

View Full Version : Explosion in Durham today?

ramdevil
04-10-2019, 11:12 AM
Apparently there was a gas leak/explosion in Durham: https://abc11.com/live-video-explosion-in-durham;-fire-burning-buildings-collapsed/5241686/

I hope everyone is safe...

-ramdevil

nmduke2001
04-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Apparently there was a gas leak/explosion in Durham: https://abc11.com/live-video-explosion-in-durham;-fire-burning-buildings-collapsed/5241686/

I hope everyone is safe...

-ramdevil

You just beat me to it. A buddy of mine just sent me some pictures. It's hard to imagine that no one was hurt.

BLPOG
04-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Looks like it was in the building adjacent (to the North) to Torero's.

killerleft
04-10-2019, 01:01 PM
A friend of mine about a half mile away (the other side of Ninth St) said several people in her building felt the explosion.

DukieInKansas
04-10-2019, 01:14 PM
You just beat me to it. A buddy of mine just sent me some pictures. It's hard to imagine that no one was hurt.

I believe 1 fatality and multiple injuries.

PackMan97
04-10-2019, 01:15 PM

At least two dead so far. Construction crew was digging and hit a gas main.

JasonEvans
04-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Wow... here is video from the famous 11-foot-8 camera that watches for trucks to run into that bridge. You can't see the explosion, but you sure hear it and feel it!

https://www.wral.com/can-opener-bridge-camera-shows-effect-of-durham-explosion/18317909/

aimo
04-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Word from folks who work in the area is that a lot of the surrounding buildings have windows blown out. Apparently, a contractor hit a gas line, called it in, a person at the coffee house Kaffeinate had just put a sign on the door saying they were closed b/c of the gas, people came streaming out of Torero's, and Kaffeinate blew up. Bad and scary situation. A firefighter is seriously hurt, too.

howardlander
04-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Word from folks who work in the area is that a lot of the surrounding buildings have windows blown out. Apparently, a contractor hit a gas line, called it in, a person at the coffee house Kaffeinate had just put a sign on the door saying they were closed b/c of the gas, people came streaming out of Torero's, and Kaffeinate blew up. Bad and scary situation. A firefighter is seriously hurt, too.

Local media is reporting only one dead now (was two before). Still seems miraculous. I guess there was some warning, which must have helped keep down the fatalities.

Howard

WV_Iron_Duke
04-10-2019, 06:55 PM
The explosion was the lead story on the CBS Evening News.

SoCalDukeFan
04-10-2019, 09:57 PM
My alumni.duke.edu account is not working. Anyone else have the same problem.

Thanks
SoCal

Lord Ash
04-11-2019, 08:28 AM
My alumni.duke.edu account is not working. Anyone else have the same problem.

Thanks
SoCal

Mine's working fine, if you still have issues.

howardlander
04-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Mine's working fine, if you still have issues.

Yep, mine works fine as well. I wouldn't think there was any connection to the explosion, as I haven't heard anything about a widespread internet outage.

aimo
04-11-2019, 11:12 AM
They have upped the number of injured to 25 including 9 firefighters hit with shrapnel. Local restaurant owners have pooled resources to grill out and feed the responders.

jimsumner
04-11-2019, 02:40 PM
Apparently the explosion weaponized a lot of windows. Many of the injuries were from shattered glass.

howardlander
04-11-2019, 03:19 PM
They have upped the number of injured to 25 including 9 firefighters hit with shrapnel. Local restaurant owners have pooled resources to grill out and feed the responders.

I hope that the lack of news is good news. Apparently the building that St James Seafood is in has been condemned. Does that mean it has to be torn down?

DU82
04-11-2019, 06:23 PM
I hope that the lack of news is good news. Apparently the building that St James Seafood is in has been condemned. Does that mean it has to be torn down?

No, typically it means that it is not currently habitable and needs repairs.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Awful. I am down there regularly and was just in Kaffeinate last Friday. Terrible, terrible, awful.

CDu
04-13-2019, 08:22 AM
Looks like the owner of Kaffeinate was the only fatality. He apparently ushered everyone out, called his kids to notify them he was closing up the store because of a gas leak... and didn’t make it out. Very sad.

aimo
04-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Looks like the owner of Kaffeinate was the only fatality. He apparently ushered everyone out, called his kids to notify them he was closing up the store because of a gas leak... and didn’t make it out. Very sad.

Not to turn this negative, but actually the owner refused to leave. A firefighter had just walked away to get a police officer to force him out of the building when it blew up. Yes, very sad. The adjoining businesses had only evacuated a few minutes before the explosion.