PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to UVA - National Champs !!

moonpie23
04-08-2019, 11:57 PM
what a season, what a tourney.....congratulations, guys !!

Dukehky
04-08-2019, 11:58 PM
Ehhhhhhhhh........

Sure.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-08-2019, 11:59 PM
They hit their last 14 FTs........

kAzE
04-08-2019, 11:59 PM
Great game, great team, great redemption story. Sad it wasn't us, but glad it was an ACC team other than the cheats.

Congrats, UVA. Well deserved.

kako
04-09-2019, 12:01 AM
Congrats to the Virginia Cavaliers!

A classy program that bounced back as hard as possible from last year's loss to UMBC. After all the years - Wally Walker, Ralph Sampson, Olden Polynice, Bryant Stith, Jeff Lamp, Joe Harris, Jon Crotty, Cory Alexander... the '18-'19 Hoos bring home their 1st national championship. Well deserved!

9F

kako
04-09-2019, 12:02 AM
They hit their last 14 FTs...

A lesson Duke could have learned this year... but that's for another thread.

9F

lotusland
04-09-2019, 12:07 AM
I’m happy for the Hoos. They survived and advanced 6 times. They are a really tough and poised team. Now hopefully Jerome will ride off into the sunset.

CameronBlue
04-09-2019, 12:10 AM
Congrats to the Wahoos. Uh, Alec, I'll take "Posts that don't age well for $300."

I still don't believe in VA. I made a pie bet last year that they wouldn't make it to the elite eight and I'm willing to make it again if anyone is interested.

Virginia is good, don't get me wrong. But they are a gimmick, smoke and mirrors team. They are the epitome of a coach using a system to get the absolute most out of his team and players. But when the bright lights come on, talent wins out eventually.

Rich
04-09-2019, 12:14 AM
Congrats to the Wahoos. Uh, Alec, I'll take "Posts that don't age well for $300."

Well, some would argue that they didn't end up playing against much talent. They played against some good teams, but how many future NBA players were on those teams?

Kedsy
04-09-2019, 12:15 AM
The Virginia fans that post here on DBR are classy and knowledgeable. Congrats to all Hoos, everywhere.

-jk
04-09-2019, 12:17 AM
Well, some would argue that they didn't end up playing against much talent. They played against some good teams, but how many future NBA players were on those teams?

They beat some tough teams.

Congrats!

-jk

lotusland
04-09-2019, 12:17 AM

Others might point out that the point is to have players who are good in college not players who will be good in the pros. UVA is a good team by any metric this year.

duke4ever19
04-09-2019, 12:20 AM

Please tell me you weren't holding onto a post dating from January 30th, so you could say it didn't "age well."

proelitedota
They beat 3 of the hottest teams in the NCAA in Purdue, Auburn, and Tech. Meme magic too strong.

HereBeforeCoachK
A lesson Duke could have learned this year... but that's for another thread.

9F

Indeed.....and that was kinda my point.

rsvman
04-09-2019, 12:25 AM
Great game, great team, great redemption story. Sad it wasn't us, but glad it was an ACC team other than the cheats.

Congrats, UVA. Well deserved.

I'll cosign this post.

richardjackson199
04-09-2019, 12:27 AM
They hit their last 14 FTs....

Yep. Clutch. Deserving.

Congrats Wahoos.

Guns down. Gunned down by a Hunter.

And Guy is a bad man.

Hats off.

Go Duke in 2020!

pfrduke
04-09-2019, 12:28 AM
Virginia minimum win probability in its last 3 games:

9.1% against Purdue (0:16 in the second half)
4.0% against Auburn (0:17 in the second half)
11.7% against Texas Tech (0:22 in the second half)

Cardiac Pack-like run.

gep
04-09-2019, 12:29 AM
CONGRATULATIONS WaHoos!!! From what I"ve seen, only Salt is a senior leaving the team. So the regulars all return??? Any going early entry to the NBA? Otherwise, this is the team to beat next year, huh?:cool:

pfrduke
04-09-2019, 12:32 AM
CONGRATULATIONS WaHoos!!! From what I"ve seen, only Salt is a senior leaving the team. So the regulars all return??? Any going early entry to the NBA? Otherwise, this is the team to beat next year, huh?:cool:

Hunter’s going to be a lottery pick.

Bluedog
04-09-2019, 12:32 AM

DeAndre Hunter very easily could go pro. I don't follow UVa close enough to know how likely, but seems like the most likely scenario to me.

And yes congrats Wahoos!

richardjackson199
04-09-2019, 12:35 AM
I would think Hunter and Jerome have to be gone after a Natty. But for whatever reason Vegas books have UVA as the favorite to repeat for another Natty next year:

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26473469/virginia-favored-repeat-2020-vegas-books

SavDukeGrad
04-09-2019, 12:36 AM
DeAndre Hunter very easily could go pro. I don't follow UVa close enough to know how likely, but seems like the most likely scenario to me.

And yes congrats Wahoos!

From what has been posted here by our Wahoo friends:
Hunter almost certainly gone
Jerome probably gone
Not sure about Guy
Diakite may test the waters after a strong tournament.

CameronBlue
04-09-2019, 12:47 AM
Please tell me you weren't holding onto a post dating from January 30th, so you could say it didn't "age well."

Abso-frickin-lutely! It's the perfect application of bandwidth on a sports fan website. I sent my collection of short stories to HarperCollins.

ElliottHoo
04-09-2019, 01:03 AM
Others might point out that the point is to have players who are good in college not players who will be good in the pros. UVA is a good team by any metric this year.

KenPom scores aren’t directly comparable year to year, but even so he has this year’s UVA team as having the 3rd highest score since he started, behind only 2005 Kansas and 2015 Kentucky, iirc.

ElliottHoo
04-09-2019, 01:06 AM
I would think Hunter and Jerome have to be gone after a Natty. But for whatever reason Vegas books have UVA as the favorite to repeat for another Natty next year:

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26473469/virginia-favored-repeat-2020-vegas-books

Pretty sure they said that was assuming everyone but Salt comes back, which is pretty unlikely.

MarkD83
04-09-2019, 01:13 AM
Congrats to the Virginia Cavaliers!

A classy program that bounced back as hard as possible from last year's loss to UMBC. After all the years - Wally Walker, Ralph Sampson, Olden Polynice, Bryant Stith, Jeff Lamp, Joe Harris, Jon Crotty, Cory Alexander... the '18-'19 Hoos bring home their 1st national championship. Well deserved!

9F

I second this sentiment. Bennett is a very classy coach and his program reflects his personality. BTW they are 66 and 6 in the past 2 years. Wow

KandG
04-09-2019, 01:18 AM
I rooted against Virginia in each of their last 3 games, not because I disliked the Hoos (on the contrary, they were a high quality team), but because I liked the fight and story of each of their opponents a little better. And I have to admit I shook my head frequently at some of the breaks UVA got at the end of each of those games.

But Virginia also made their own luck, and they've had quite a run going back a few years. Watching them celebrate their first championship, and seeing all the footage of students celebrating in Charlottesville brought back more than a few memories of when we won our first championship with K back in 1991 (I was in Indianapolis to watch it all).

Congratulations to Virginia, and to all the graceful and thoughtful Hoos posters on this board. A really memorable run, and the breaks and crazy bounces just add to the legend. Enjoy it all.

PackMan97
04-09-2019, 01:26 AM
But for whatever reason Vegas books have UVA as the favorite to repeat for another Natty next year:

I feel pretty confident that Vegas has this one right. If any team repeats for another Natty next year, I'm 100% certain it's going to be the Hoos. I certainly wouldn't bet that Duke or UNC will repeat next season! :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
04-09-2019, 01:42 AM
Happy for my ‘Hoo friends, real and virtual.

Dukehk
04-09-2019, 02:28 AM
If there was any team other than us, then I would have picked Virginia. They ran through pretty much everyone this year except us. We were the better team but Virginia were luckier.

brevity
04-09-2019, 03:12 AM
For every Biggest Winner there has to be a Biggest Loser: the one team in the Round of 64 that is six degrees of separation from the champion.

This year the honor goes to Mississippi State, who can say that they lost to the team (Liberty) that lost to the team (Virginia Tech) that lost to the team (Duke) that lost to the team (Michigan State) that lost to the team (Texas Tech) that lost to the champion (Virginia).

Interestingly, Virginia was almost the Biggest Loser in last year's tournament, had Kentucky beaten Kansas State in the Sweet 16 and then lost to Loyola. Instead the 2018 Biggest Loser was Arizona.

Recent Biggest Losers

2019: Mississippi State
2018: Arizona
2017: Mount St. Mary's (but once and future champ Villanova was close)
2016: Purdue
2015: New Mexico State
2014: Oklahoma
2013: Colorado (does this get vacated too?)
2012: St. Bonaventure
2011: Louisville (I wasted my vacated joke too early)
2010: Oklahoma State
2009: California
2008: Belmont

To my knowledge, Duke has never been the Biggest Loser, but they almost were in 2008 when they barely beat Belmont.

Going further back, Carolina would have been the Biggest Loser in 1999 had Ohio State beat Connecticut in the Final Four, and then lost in the final. Another reason to hate Connecticut.

dukelifer
04-09-2019, 06:27 AM
Virginia has been a decent program for a long while. This team has some excellent shooters and that put them over the top. Another true ACC team with at least one NC.

wavedukefan70s
04-09-2019, 06:35 AM
Outstanding job by UVA.

Saratoga2
04-09-2019, 06:52 AM
Congratulations to UVA, Tony Bennett and to the players who were resiliant, healthy and in some ways lucky but also deserved to win the national title. Their pack line defense kept them in all the games and they had the kind of balance to put up points when they needed them. How many times late in games did they get and hit the critical shot or hit the FTs needed. Jerome reminds me of Scheyer as a 6'5" PG who was cool in action and always seemed to make the right play. I wouldn't doubt that UVA will be back in the forefront of college ball next year as well.

dukelifer
04-09-2019, 07:05 AM
Congratulations to UVA, Tony Bennett and to the players who were resiliant, healthy and in some ways lucky but also deserved to win the national title. Their pack line defense kept them in all the games and they had the kind of balance to put up points when they needed them. How many times late in games did they get and hit the critical shot or hit the FTs needed. Jerome reminds me of Scheyer as a 6'5" PG who was cool in action and always seemed to make the right play. I wouldn't doubt that UVA will be back in the forefront of college ball next year as well.

Losing Hunter and maybe Jerome might set them back.

weezie
04-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Yes, congratulations and all that. I haven't got the courage to watch One Shining Moment yet though.

DevilYouKnow
04-09-2019, 07:26 AM
I wouldn't trade my Devils for any team plus a million dollars.

But I was a bit jealous at the clutch three shooting and the free throw efficiency.

sigh...

Both of those team were tough as hell.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-09-2019, 07:27 AM
Pretty sure they said that was assuming everyone but Salt comes back, which is pretty unlikely.

...or pretty sure they said that because they wanted to get some early action on the line.....

wsb3
04-09-2019, 07:32 AM
The Virginia fans that post here on DBR are classy and knowledgeable. Congrats to all Hoos, everywhere.

Kedsy said it better than I could.Congrats to UVA

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-09-2019, 07:57 AM
Way to raise the trophy in the old school ACC. Congrats Wahoos and UVA fans.

Rogue
04-09-2019, 08:11 AM
President Jefferson Tweets last night after winning National Championship

Indoor66
04-09-2019, 08:27 AM
President Jefferson Tweets last night after winning National Championship

Welcome to the Mountain.

1991 duke law
04-09-2019, 08:50 AM
WAHOOWA!!!

Well deserved national championship for the Hoos. They represent their university well nad represent the ACC well. I am very pleased.

BeachBlueDevil
04-09-2019, 08:54 AM
Hedged my bets and took Duke to win in half my brackets and UVA in the other half (did 6 total).... UVA winnings won me a couple hundred $$$, a bottle of whisky, and a gift card to a local sports bar..... So yes, congrats UVA!

Now on the flipside, I live in Virginia and I'm already over hearing about the victory.

Dukehky
04-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Hedged my bets and took Duke to win in half my brackets and UVA in the other half (did 6 total)... UVA winnings won me a couple hundred $$$, a bottle of whisky, and a gift card to a local sports bar.... So yes, congrats UVA!

Now on the flipside, I live in Virginia and I'm already over hearing about the victory.

Well, yeah, it's the day after UVA won the national championship...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-09-2019, 09:28 AM

...their first.

flyingdutchdevil
04-09-2019, 09:36 AM
They deserved it. A top 3 team all season. A really likable, experienced, well-developed team. And they got the gorilla off of their back, which is no easy feat. No one cares about UMBC anymore.

The ACC dynamics will be really interesting. Coach K, Roy, Boeheim, and Hamilton are all old and in the twilights of their career. Buzz left for browner pastures (literally and figuratively). Keatts, Capel, and Mack are all solid but haven't done much at their respective clubs (yes, they are all fresh). Brey is chugging a long but ND is not a powerhouse. Manning will be out in 12 months, and Brownell in probably 24.

Bennett is young, accomplished, and already a top 3 coach in the ACC. He isn't the recruiter Coach K, Roy, or Boeheim are, but he's as good a developer of talent as there is.

If the Dukes and UNCs and Syracuses don't have the right replacement coaches in place, this will be Bennett's league very, very shortly.

NYBri
04-09-2019, 09:42 AM
Adding my congrats to the Hoos. Classy program. We beat them twice this year. They made their free throws. Life goes on. :cool:

Rich
04-09-2019, 09:53 AM
Yes, congratulations and all that. I haven't got the courage to watch One Shining Moment yet though.

As you can imagine, lots of Zion. NCAA/CBS milking it to the very end.

DarkstarWahoo
04-09-2019, 10:01 AM
You guys are all class. Thank you. It says a lot about the folks here (and also about the mindset that comes with so many championships) that you guys can be this happy for a (sort of) rival.

To weezie and whoever else couldn't bring themselves to watch One Shining Moment, there was actually a lot of Duke, most of it positive until the end (I mean, you know what to expect with it at this point). I actually had friends complaining it was too Duke-centric, but I understand why they showed what they showed. Zion was the story of the regular season, and Duke supplied most of the drama in a tournament that was lacking it for the first few rounds. (The Wahoos picked up the slack and then some after that.)

jhmoss1812
04-09-2019, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the kinds words. I was a nervous wreck all tournament and couldn't really enjoy the ride. It's sad how stressful it was for me. But it was all worth it. I can't believe that we are national champions.

DallasDevil
04-09-2019, 10:08 AM

There were certainly a lot more clips of Duke in last night's version than there were in 2010...

W&LHoo
04-09-2019, 10:44 AM
From what has been posted here by our Wahoo friends:
Hunter almost certainly gone
Jerome probably gone
Not sure about Guy
Diakite may test the waters after a strong tournament.

First, thanks for the thread. DBR has the highest quality basketball conversation on the internet; the entire board and its posters are a credit to Duke's, alumni, fan base, and program.

As for next year, the quote is basically right. Most UVA prognosticators think we're all but certain to say goodbye to Jerome and Hunter, and Salt graduates, but that we'll return everyone else. Interestingly, I suspect that's going to lead to UVA being much more of a paint team next year, with Guy still running around the wings, but much of the offense going through Diakite and Huff.

BeachBlueDevil
04-09-2019, 11:01 AM

And??? After I had my own initial celebration for winning a couple bracket pools and sent congrats to some UVA friends, I was over it. Yes, I live in Virginia and people will be excited but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

szstark
04-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all the kinds words. I was a nervous wreck all tournament and couldn't really enjoy the ride. It's sad how stressful it was for me. But it was all worth it. I can't believe that we are national champions.

Welcome to the world of being a National Champion. It is always a stressful ride. Spoiler alert - it will get worse now that everyone, including your own fan base, expects you to do it year in and year out. Enjoy the next few months until the stress all starts over.

Reddevil
04-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Lots of Duke in this one including that great moment where K and Dawkins hug. Maye was shown briefly and I enjoyed saying "goodbye" to him.

brianl
04-09-2019, 11:43 AM
Congratulations UVA but I'm sure on the top of Mt. Crumpet you'll hear someone say

And then all the noise. All the noise, noise, noise, NOISE!
They'll bang on tong-tinglers, blow their foo-flounders,
they'll crash on jang-jinglers, and bounce on boing-bounders!
Then Hoos young and old will sit down to a feast,
and they'll feast and they'll feast.)
And they'll feast, feast, feast, feast!
They'll eat their Hoo pudding and rare Hoo roast beast!
It's something I cannot stand in the least.

jv001
04-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Great win, great championship and congratulations on wonderful season. GoDuke! and today GoHoos!

DukieInKansas
04-09-2019, 12:21 PM
There were certainly a lot more clips of Duke in last night's version than there were in 2010...

My thoughts, exactly! I still wonder what happened to the cretin, i mean person, who was behind that 2010 One Moment video. Can't say shining because it wasn't. Yes, I'm still bitter about it - no one says I have to be rational all the time.

UVa1981
04-09-2019, 02:21 PM
If the Dukes and UNCs and Syracuses don't have the right replacement coaches in place, this will be Bennett's league very, very shortly.

To flyingdutchdevil: I believe Duke/Krzyzewski's coaching tree is so immense that someone very strong will be coaching Duke for the foreseeable future.

To the rest of the board: thanks for all your congratulations: you are beyond gracious.

left_hook_lacey
04-09-2019, 02:49 PM

I'll have mine slow-cooked with some carrots and potatoes please.

Congrats to UVA. I won't say anything about the missed double-dribble call, or all the close games to get to the title. They overcame again and again, so, survive and advance is all that matters.

My pie bets are in the process of being paid as well.

Anyone willing to make the pie bet against VA for next year?

Rich
04-09-2019, 02:49 PM

My thoughts, exactly! I still wonder what happened to the cretin, i mean person, who was behind that 2010 One Moment video. Can't say shining because it wasn't. Yes, I'm still bitter about it - no one says I have to be rational all the time.

And didn't they change the singer and/or tempo of the song in 2010? I think just for that Tourney and then they went back to the original guy.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-09-2019, 02:53 PM

i'll have mine slow-cooked with some carrots and potatoes please.

Congrats to uva. I won't say anything about the missed double-dribble call, or all the close games to get to the title. They overcame again and again, so, survive and advance is all that matters.

Anyone willing to make the pie bet against va for next year?

great post!

richardjackson199
04-09-2019, 02:56 PM

I'll have mine slow-cooked with some carrots and potatoes please.

Congrats to UVA. I won't say anything about the missed double-dribble call, or all the close games to get to the title. They overcame again and again, so, survive and advance is all that matters.

Anyone willing to make the pie bet against VA for next year?

Not quite yet Left Hook. I want to see who is on UVA's team first. And ours for that matter.

Kudos to you for being gracious. You're a scholar and a gentleman and a true degenerate pie bettor. I can give no higher praise. :cool:

PackMan97
04-09-2019, 03:04 PM

I'm OK with that ;)

DukieInKansas
04-09-2019, 03:11 PM
And didn't they change the singer and/or tempo of the song in 2010? I think just for that Tourney and then they went back to the original guy.

Jennifer Hudson's version and they featured her in the video. The whole thing was wrong in many ways.

Last night's was much better - but probably should have had a bit more UVA. They could have replaced the Luke Maye shot with another Virginia clip - I wouldn't have complained. :D

weezie
04-09-2019, 03:13 PM
I can't bring myself to watch yet.

Maybe next week.

Steven43
04-09-2019, 03:22 PM

I just watched the 2010 One Shining Moment video and I really don’t see what you’re talking about. There are many parts of the video with Duke — by far the most of any school. I think it’s a pretty darn good video.

Devilwin
04-09-2019, 04:48 PM
Congrats Wahoo Nation! Class all the way, and I for one am glad that if we couldn't do it, you could. Keep the title where it belongs, in the ACC. Plus, makes me happy (sort of) we beat the Champs 2 of 2..lol Anyway, congrats again, and enjoy..

DukieInKansas
04-09-2019, 05:30 PM
I just watched the 2010 One Shining Moment video and I really don’t see what you’re talking about. There are many parts of the video with Duke — by far the most of any school. I think it’s a pretty darn good video.

Who was singing? Jennifer Hudson did the one on the night of the championship. The could have skipped putting her in the video and put more teams. I don't think I am the only one that was disappointed in the version played that evening.

dudog84
04-09-2019, 05:46 PM
Now we just need to get one for Wake Forest and Clemson.

I am not holding my breath. But I do have about 45 years left.

Neals384
04-09-2019, 05:51 PM

I think the idea is to set the odds as if everyone returns. They can lengthen the odds as people leave for the draft, but if they initially set UVA at, say, 15-1 and then everyone decides to come back for another year, then Vegas has a problem.

Wahoo2000
04-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Back from Minny - what a weekend. That definitely will rank as the finest sports experience of my life. I'm a big sports fan overall, but college bball first and foremost, and (obviously) UVa men's hoops is the team I'm most tied to.

What an incredible weekend and 2 unforgettable games. When the final horn sounded last night, I'm not too ashamed to say I wasn't bawling, but DID shed tears. Literal tears of joy. Greatest sports moment of my life. Unmatchable. Even if we win more, even if we win bigger, nothing as sweet as the first.

Adding into that the fact that we were 9 rows off the court, and sat right behind some UVa legends - Chris Long and Heath Miller (they were joined by former UVA & former Dallas Cowboys TE John Phillips, as well as Chris' brother Kyle, who I think plays for the Bears)? Unforgettable. As happy as I am for UVa fans like myself, even happier for Bennett, the current players who got him his 1st title, AND all the recent stars I saw on the court postgame (Joe Harris, Brogdon, Justin Anderson, Devon Hall, just to name a few - there were prob 10-12 guys I recognized). All of those who have poured REAL blood/sweat/tears into the program and had to deal with all the snarky stuff out there about never winning at the highest levels with Bennett's system, without the best collection of talent, etc, etc.

richardjackson199
04-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Back from Minny - what a weekend. That definitely will rank as the finest sports experience of my life. I'm a big sports fan overall, but college bball first and foremost, and (obviously) UVa men's hoops is the team I'm most tied to.

What an incredible weekend and 2 unforgettable games. When the final horn sounded last night, I'm not too ashamed to say I wasn't bawling, but DID shed tears. Literal tears of joy. Greatest sports moment of my life. Unmatchable. Even if we win more, even if we win bigger, nothing as sweet as the first.

Adding into that the fact that we were 9 rows off the court, and sat right behind some UVa legends - Chris Long and Heath Miller (they were joined by former UVA & former Dallas Cowboys TE John Phillips, as well as Chris' brother Kyle, who I think plays for the Bears)? Unforgettable. As happy as I am for UVa fans like myself, even happier for Bennett, the current players who got him his 1st title, AND all the recent stars I saw on the court postgame (Joe Harris, Brogdon, Justin Anderson, Devon Hall, just to name a few - there were prob 10-12 guys I recognized). All of those who have poured REAL blood/sweat/tears into the program and had to deal with all the snarky stuff out there about never winning at the highest levels with Bennett's system, without the best collection of talent, etc, etc.

Congrats!! Enjoy it and cherish it forever. Well deserved and what a run.

Indoor66
04-09-2019, 06:47 PM
But I do have about 45 years left.

I'll take ten if you have too many....😂