PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Guy clutch free throws

CoachJ10
04-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Which Blue Devil (say from 2010 on) would you have wanted to shoot those 3 fts that Guy shot against Auburn?

robed deity
04-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Seth Curry because well, that family can flat out shoot in any situation.

duke4ever19
04-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Which Blue Devil (say from 2010 on) would you have wanted to shoot those 3 fts that Guy shot against Auburn?

I'd be fine with John Scheyer or Nolan Smith.

The pre-2010 the answer is obvious.

proelitedota
04-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Javin Delaurier.

Serious answer: Scheyer.

gofurman
04-08-2019, 08:58 PM

Tyus Jones

Nolan Smith

Quinn Cook

Grayson Allen

Luke Kennard

CDu
04-08-2019, 09:13 PM

Any of several guys. Curry, Irving, Scheyer, Tyus Jones, Kennard, Allen, Trent are all good answers in my opinion.

UrinalCake
04-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Cook and Tyus were both money at the free throw line, it's a huge part of what made that team so tough closing out games. Trent also had some insane free throw percentage in late game situations, like over 90%.

On this year's team, Bolden is the only guy I can recall hitting anything close to a clutch free throw all season. So I'd go with him.

Wander
04-08-2019, 09:17 PM
#toosoon to be asking this after the RJ free throws...

22JumpShots
04-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Post-2010 is Grayson Allen
Pre-2010 is Christian Laettner

This years team? ..... hmm. Definitively not RJ. Thats a tough question man. 0.06 seconds left, down by TWO...and a trip to the championship game on the line. ............... tough. Honestly probably Cam or Zion I guess.

UrinalCake
04-08-2019, 09:42 PM
This years team? .... hmm. Definitively not RJ. Thats a tough question man. 0.06 seconds left, down by TWO...and a trip to the championship game on the line. ........ tough. Honestly probably Cam or Zion I guess.

No way would I want Zion at the line... because I would want him on the lane ready to grab the offensive rebound.

nmduke2001
04-08-2019, 09:53 PM
This year, I’d probably go Cam, Alex, then maybe Jack, Bolden and Javin (no I’m not kidding), Zion and then maybe RJ and Jordan. Holy smokes this team was not good at the line.

SavDukeGrad
04-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Tatum was a great FT shooter too.

-jk
04-08-2019, 10:27 PM
I was real happy with Bolden on the line in end game sits.

I’d take it again next year...

-jk

JetpackJesus
04-08-2019, 10:29 PM
Post-2010 is Grayson Allen
Pre-2010 is Christian Laettner

This years team? .... hmm. Definitively not RJ. Thats a tough question man. 0.06 seconds left, down by TWO...and a trip to the championship game on the line. ........ tough. Honestly probably Cam or Zion I guess.

I'm taking Redick for pre-2010.

simplyluvin
04-08-2019, 11:56 PM
Kyrie and Tyus in that order. Of course JJ if we are talking all-time.

W&LHoo
04-09-2019, 10:46 AM
I'm taking Redick for pre-2010.

It would have to be Redick, right?

22JumpShots
04-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Are you forgetting the UNLV game in 91? Laettner on the line with straight ICE in his veins. Knocks down two of the most clutch free throws of all time to send Duke over undefeated UNLV to Coach K's first National Championship.

I guess I should specify that I am not talking about just free throws, but free throws that if you don't make them, could be SERIOUS repercussions (i.e. It's Over type stuff.) Specfically like Guy's...even thought I believe the Duke UNLV score was tied at 77 all. A different feeling when you are down two with 0.06 left. How surreal that must have felt standing on that stripe with 14 million eye balls watching you...half of them probably wanting you to fail etc. AMAZING.

Also - Can't go wrong with Reddick or Laettner tbh, either would be okay in my book. Laettner just had that way about him thought...just wanting to gut the opponent right in from of them.

MCFinARL
04-09-2019, 11:02 AM

Yes. His career free throw average was .912, according to the Duke Media Guide (http://www.goduke.com//attachments1/files/4200/638927.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4200)--and per the same source, the post-2010 choice should be Luke Kennard, who has the second highest free throw percentage in Duke history (minimum 200 free throws), at .867.

Of course that doesn't take into account the clutch factor. J.J. for sure, very clutch. I don't specifically remember Luke in a lot of big clutch moments, unlike, say, Tyus. But there may have been some.

sagegrouse
04-09-2019, 11:29 AM

Didn't Redick lead Duke to the National Championship with clutch free throws in the final minute of the semis against UConn? Oh, that's right, the refs swallowed their whistles as JJ was thrown to the floor by Okafor.

Steven43
04-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Holy smokes this team was not good at the line.

That's the understatement of the year.

As far as clutch FT shooters from 2010 on I would definitely choose Tyus Jones. He made clutch FT after clutch FT, particularly in crucial moments of the biggest games. He was money. Quinn Cook would be my second choice.

Steven43
04-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Didn't Redick lead Duke to the National Championship with clutch free throws in the final minute of the semis against UConn? Oh, that's right, the refs swallowed their whistles as JJ was thrown to the floor by Okafor.
You speak the truth. That was the most devastating and excruciating college basketball loss I ever experienced as a fan. I still feel like we owe UConn BIG TIME for 1999 and 2004. I so badly want Duke to play them in a Final Four or for the National Championship. I want revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMJ0EYO1Rj0

Here is a video of the game. Go to the where there is 3:16 left in the game. Duke has an 8-point lead and Okafor takes a shot and misses. Duke was easily going to get the rebound off the missed shot, but the ref on the baseline called a foul on Shavlik Randolph. Not only was it one of the worst foul calls I have ever seen, it also caused Randolph to foul out of the game. Had this particular foul not been called I think Duke wins by 4-6 points. Absolutely shameful. I'd sure like to find out the name of that ref if anyone knows.

jv001
04-09-2019, 11:52 AM
That's the understatement of the year.

As far as clutch FT shooters from 2010 on I would definitely choose Tyus Jones. He made clutch FT after clutch FT, particularly in crucial moments of the biggest games. He was money. Quinn Cook would be my second choice.

Like you, I think the players that did it in the biggest moments would be the best choice. Tyus, Quinn and Christian did it in those moments. I'd have to look back at the 2010 to see how well Nolan, Jon and others shot clutch FTs. GoDuke!

Duke76
04-09-2019, 01:07 PM
You speak the truth. That was the most devastating and excruciating college basketball loss I ever experienced as a fan. I still feel like we owe UConn BIG TIME for 1999 and 2004. I so badly want Duke to play them in a Final Four or for the National Championship. I want revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMJ0EYO1Rj0

Here is a video of the game. Go to the where there is 3:16 left in the game. Duke has an 8-point lead and Okafor takes a shot and misses. Duke was easily going to get the rebound off the missed shot, but the ref on the baseline called a foul on Shavlik Randolph. Not only was it one of the worst foul calls I have ever seen, it also caused Randolph to foul out of the game. Had this particular foul not been called I think Duke wins by 4-6 points. Absolutely shameful. I'd sure like to find out the name of that ref if anyone knows.

those refs threw that game...not much doubt in my mind....foul after foul against Duke and they don't call that, despicable....but really that second shot Okafor took on his rebound miss....my gosh if Horvath and Deng just box out we win the game...he never gets the put back....I am going to my grave thinking about Duke not boxing out, crucial game after crucial game.

Steven43
04-09-2019, 01:27 PM
those refs threw that game...not much doubt in my mind...foul after foul against Duke and they don't call that, despicable...but really that second shot Okafor took on his rebound miss...my gosh if Horvath and Deng just box out we win the game...he never gets the put back...I am going to my grave thinking about Duke not boxing out, crucial game after crucial game.

Right, it was a complete lack of boxing out on the play you reference. But remember, Shavlik Randolph would have been in the game in place of Horvath had that ref not improperly called him (Randolph) for his 6th foul. Randolph would have certainly done better than Horvath in helping Duke close out the victory.

UrinalCake
04-09-2019, 10:36 PM
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I decided to comb through our game logs and examine how we shot free throws in the final two minutes or so of close games. Spoiler alert: it's not pretty.

MSU
0:06 remaining, down 2: Barrett 1/2 (was trying to miss the second)

VT
1:21 remaining, up 4: Bolden 2/2
0:29 remaining, up 2: Tre misses front end

UCF
1:09 remaining, down 1: Javin 0/2
0:14 remaining, down 1: Zion misses and-1 (Barrett gets rebound and basket)

UNC (in ACCT)
0:13 remaining, up 1: Barrett 0/2

Wake
2:04 remaining, up 5: Barrett 0/2
1:24 remaining, up 5: Barrett misses and-1

Louisville
0:14 remaining, tie score: Reddish 2/2

First UVA game
2:18 remaining, up 5: Barrett misses and-1
1:09 remaining, up 5: Bolden 2/2
0:44 remaining, up 7: Barrett 2/2
0:36 remaining, up 6: Zion 0/2
0:21 remaining, up 3: Barrett 2/2
0:08 remaining, up 3: Reddish 1/2

First Syracuse game
0:17 remaining in regulation, down 1: Zion 1/2

First FSU game
0:05 remaining, down 2: Barrett 1/2

In total we were 14/30 in these late, close game situations. Barrett was 6/14 and only 1 for his last 7 dating back to the Wake game (and that was the one he was TRYING to miss). Zion 1/5, Reddish 3/4, Tre 0/1, Javin 0/2 and Bolden with an impressive 4/4. Without him we would have been shooting 33% rather than just below 50%.

The first UVA game and the second Syracuse game were the only games all season where I would say we won the game with free throws. Or at least, we didn't lose the game due to free throws. In the second Syracuse game we had a 7-8 point lead down the stretch, so not a "close" game by my arbitrary definition, and we prevented them from closing the gap by hitting free throws. I guess you could say the Louisville game too, Cam put that one away at the line. But starting with that Wake game which was basically a disaster, we were 3/11 to close out the season. Kyle Guy hit as many clutch free throws in that one Auburn game as we hit the last nine games of the season. Ugh.

Dukehk
04-10-2019, 02:41 AM

Quinn Cook all day everyday!!!

arnie
04-10-2019, 06:48 AM
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I decided to comb through our game logs and examine how we shot free throws in the final two minutes or so of close games. Spoiler alert: it's not pretty.

MSU
0:06 remaining, down 2: Barrett 1/2 (was trying to miss the second)

VT
1:21 remaining, up 4: Bolden 2/2
0:29 remaining, up 2: Tre misses front end

UCF
1:09 remaining, down 1: Javin 0/2
0:14 remaining, down 1: Zion misses and-1 (Barrett gets rebound and basket)

UNC (in ACCT)
0:13 remaining, up 1: Barrett 0/2

Wake
2:04 remaining, up 5: Barrett 0/2
1:24 remaining, up 5: Barrett misses and-1

Louisville
0:14 remaining, tie score: Reddish 2/2

First UVA game
2:18 remaining, up 5: Barrett misses and-1
1:09 remaining, up 5: Bolden 2/2
0:44 remaining, up 7: Barrett 2/2
0:36 remaining, up 6: Zion 0/2
0:21 remaining, up 3: Barrett 2/2
0:08 remaining, up 3: Reddish 1/2

First Syracuse game
0:17 remaining in regulation, down 1: Zion 1/2

First FSU game
0:05 remaining, down 2: Barrett 1/2

In total we were 14/30 in these late, close game situations. Barrett was 6/14 and only 1 for his last 7 dating back to the Wake game (and that was the one he was TRYING to miss). Zion 1/5, Reddish 3/4, Tre 0/1, Javin 0/2 and Bolden with an impressive 4/4. Without him we would have been shooting 33% rather than just below 50%.

The first UVA game and the second Syracuse game were the only games all season where I would say we won the game with free throws. Or at least, we didn't lose the game due to free throws. In the second Syracuse game we had a 7-8 point lead down the stretch, so not a "close" game by my arbitrary definition, and we prevented them from closing the gap by hitting free throws. I guess you could say the Louisville game too, Cam put that one away at the line. But starting with that Wake game which was basically a disaster, we were 3/11 to close out the season. Kyle Guy hit as many clutch free throws in that one Auburn game as we hit the last nine games of the season. Ugh.

Nice summary- I knew clutch FT shooting wasn’t good but didn’t realize how bad. This was an unusual deficiency for Duke teams, at least compared to past K years. We “should” be much better next at the line next year.

WiJoe
04-10-2019, 11:37 PM
Laettner. Nobody with more guts before or after.