PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Tre's coming back!

Wander
04-08-2019, 05:34 PM
Duke Basketball account tweeted it (https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1115366343887466496). It's official!

MChambers
04-08-2019, 05:38 PM
Duke Basketball account tweeted it (https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1115366343887466496). It's official!

That's great news! Thanks for sharing it here.

proelitedota
04-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Tre Jones returning!

Steven43
04-08-2019, 05:45 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!! Love ❤️Tre and the way he plays the point guard position! In my opinion this is the most significant development for Duke Basketball since Zion Williamson committed on January 20, 2018.

NSDukeFan
04-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Yessssssssssss!!!!!
Duke will be competing for championships again next year.

DukieInKansas
04-08-2019, 05:54 PM
Great news! This certainly brightens my day!

Glad you are staying, Tre Jones!

Bluedevil114
04-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Huge relief. Welcome back to Duke. All season long the question was who will run the point for this team next season. The best possible option is back. Now Tre go start recruiting your Minnesota buddy, Hurt. Let’s win this thing next season.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Guess who's back
Back again
Tre is back
tell a friend

Made my day.

Devilwin
04-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Great to hear it. I predicted this a month ago. Wife and son called me crazy...lol:cool:

bludevil_33
04-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Wow. This will be almost like having a senior leading the team. No joke. That's how good and experienced Tre is.

uh_no
04-08-2019, 06:07 PM
keep the band together, tre!!!

(a man can dream, can't he???)

devildeac
04-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Great news!

Who wins the pie?

:D

GoDuke2015
04-08-2019, 06:09 PM
Great news!

Who wins the pie?

:D

Great news! So glad to get Tre back! We'll have another great team in 2019-2020!!

GoDuke!

flyingdutchdevil
04-08-2019, 06:14 PM
Guess this is the only silver lining in Duke basketball over the last 1.5 weeks.

Our best defender and our fearless PG comes back. Really awesome. So happy for Duke basketball right now.

I think Tre does everything well expect score the basketball. So it's a good thing he knows exactly what he needs to work on for the next 7 months!

Hartford Dukie
04-08-2019, 06:15 PM
Outstanding, Tre! Strong statement of support and love for Duke and Duke MBB to not even test the waters. Here's to you having an All American year and leading us to #6!

Thank you!

ChillinDuke
04-08-2019, 06:22 PM
YES!!!

BEST PIE EVER!!!

- Chillin

scottdude8
04-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Still in our SI6HTS next year everyone!!!

simplyluvin
04-08-2019, 06:28 PM
We love Tre! Next year is Tre's team! Let's go get #6!

mattman91
04-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Guess this is the only silver lining in Duke basketball over the last 1.5 weeks.

Our best defender and our fearless PG comes back. Really awesome. So happy for Duke basketball right now.

I think Tre does everything well expect score the basketball. So it's a good thing he knows exactly what he needs to work on for the next 7 months!

Meh, I wouldn't say he isn't good at scoring the ball. He averaged just under 10ppg - on a team with RJ Barrett and Zion Frickin Williamson. The only thing he really lacks on O, in my opinion, is his 3 point shooting. I think he could easily score closer to 15ppg next year.

bluedev_92
04-08-2019, 06:43 PM
So happy Tre is back!!!

proelitedota
04-08-2019, 07:07 PM
To Zion and RJ:

https://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpz81S7usvTIM8w/giphy.gif

uh_no
04-08-2019, 07:11 PM
To Zion and RJ:

i mean, I'll take cam too. the more defense the better

OZZIE4DUKE
04-08-2019, 07:11 PM
Great decision Tre! Glad you’re staying! LGD GTHc!

Steven43
04-08-2019, 07:43 PM
To Zion and RJ:

Caddyshack! Great meme from a classic comedy. Anybody remember Ted Knight (as Ted Baxter) from The Mary Tyler Moore Show? That was one of my favorite childhood shows.

elvis14
04-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Great to see some good news for college basketball after the disaster that were the final 4 games Saturday night!

This will really help our team next season. I'll post lineups and projected minutes shortly...

devildeac
04-08-2019, 08:42 PM
Great to see some good news for college basketball after the disaster that were the final 4 games Saturday night!

This will really help our team next season. I'll post lineups and projected minutes shortly...

I'd wait about 11 days as you might get Hurt if you do that too soon...

proelitedota
04-08-2019, 08:44 PM

The only year where I want our team to get Hurt. :cool:

peloton
04-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Wow...this is great news and absolutely huge for the Duke program. Many college basketball experts would say that point guard is the most important position, and I'd have to agree. Tre had a very good year and I'm excited (who am I kidding? I'm about to pee in my pants) to see how he progresses during his sophomore year. I believe that his starting to hit some from outside late this season is simply a preview of things to come next year.

Thanks to Tre for delaying his shot at the NBA a year and allowing us Duke fans the opportunity to once again watch him be the "quarterback" of this team so effectively.

WHOneedsSOX
04-08-2019, 09:17 PM
i mean, I'll take cam too. the more defense the better

Cam was sitting Courtside with Rich Paul at the Lakers game last night. He's gone.

Great news to have Tre back though. He's going to have a fantastic year next year I bet. Won't have to defer the ball as much and just sit in the corner.

Troublemaker
04-08-2019, 09:20 PM
Terrific (albeit expected at this point) news.

When the final horn sounded on Duke's loss to MSU, I was more upset about Tre not being able to match his brother in getting to the Final Four (especially with it being in Minneapolis) than about Zion not being able to play on the sport's grandest stage. (Neither is ideal, obviously). Seeing Tre's reaction to losing was devastating. I'm glad he's back for a chance at redemption.

CDu
04-08-2019, 09:31 PM
I am ecstatic at the possibility for Tre. This now has the chance to be HIS team. Yes, there will be two or three seniors. But not one of them has played as many minutes as Jones has. You read that right: Tre Jones is almost certainly going to be our most experienced (in minutes played) returning player.

He will have potentially a team of shooters around him, unlike this year. But it is a team a bit lighter on playmakers. So next year’s squad presents him a perfect opportunity for him to make the jump from role player and defensive ace to playmaker.

The table is set, Tre. Now it is up to you to make it happen. I have confidence that he will be up to the challenge.

Green Wave Dukie
04-08-2019, 09:39 PM

DD,
Are you willing to go to the Matt on that prediction?

devildeac
04-08-2019, 10:15 PM
DD,
Are you willing to go to the Matt on that prediction?

I'll stretch four that one and say, "Yes."

Green Wave Dukie
04-08-2019, 10:22 PM
I'll stretch four that one and say, "Yes."

Well, you got me there. Didn’t expect you to be able to respond. Thought you’d be one and done.

kako
04-08-2019, 10:30 PM
Great news, color me surprised. I felt his outside shot would be a liability in the Association, and he'd spend a lot of time in the G-League... but I thought he would go. Definitely seems the trend is for guys to leave early rather than mature. Perhaps his brother, who did shuttle back and forth between the NBA and G-Leagues, gave him advice. In any case it's definitely a huge plus for Duke.

Now:

1. Work on free throws. We need a PG that can be money from the line in crunch time. 76% isn't bad, but work to get it in the 80's.
2. Work on 3 point shots. His midrange game isn't bad, but he needs to be more reliable from outside the arc. Not talking Redick-like numbers, just 35% would be a huge improvement.

9F

J4Kop99
04-09-2019, 12:20 AM
Great news and welcome back!!!

WHOneedsSOX
04-09-2019, 12:35 AM
Great news, color me surprised. I felt his outside shot would be a liability in the Association, and he'd spend a lot of time in the G-League... but I thought he would go. Definitely seems the trend is for guys to leave early rather than mature. Perhaps his brother, who did shuttle back and forth between the NBA and G-Leagues, gave him advice. In any case it's definitely a huge plus for Duke.

Now:

1. Work on free throws. We need a PG that can be money from the line in crunch time. 76% isn't bad, but work to get it in the 80's.
2. Work on 3 point shots. His midrange game isn't bad, but he needs to be more reliable from outside the arc. Not talking Redick-like numbers, just 35% would be a huge improvement.

9F

I think it has a lot to do with his love for Duke. I've read and heard that Tre is the one that pushed Tyus to go to Duke. Tre is the one who had Duke posters all over his bedroom. He knows that once he goes pro then that dream is over. His brother was able to win a national championship at Duke. He badly wants that moment too. Of course it helps that he's not a lottery pick at this point but we all saw his pain after they lost. His Duke journey isn't complete yet.

frb
04-09-2019, 12:54 AM
Tre and Vernon is Ty and Jahlil 2.0.

Tre returning is like signing the best HS PG in the country but with more experience. We essentially gained a possible first team all american.

proelitedota
04-09-2019, 01:01 AM
Tre and Vernon is Ty and Jahlil 2.0.

Tre returning is like signing the best HS PG in the country but with more experience. We essentially gained a possible first team all american.

Moore is Winslow.
Javin is Amile.
Goldwire is Matt.
AOC is Quinn.
Bolden is MP3.

Who is Hurt?

KandG
04-09-2019, 01:08 AM
I think it has a lot to do with his love for Duke. I've read and heard that Tre is the one that pushed Tyus to go to Duke. Tre is the one who had Duke posters all over his bedroom. He knows that once he goes pro then that dream is over. His brother was able to win a national championship at Duke. He badly wants that moment too. Of course it helps that he's not a lottery pick at this point but we all saw his pain after they lost. His Duke journey isn't complete yet.

Well said, these were my thoughts as well.

In this respect, Tre reminded me of Grayson. Both absolutely loved Duke before they enrolled. Grayson going pro after his freshman year would have been more logical, of course, because he won a title and played a big part in the final game. Tre had more question marks and the end of his freshman year was much more bitter.

I tend not to be sentimental about freshmen staying if there's any indication of NBA interest in them, no matter how attached I am to the player. But there was something about the extra emotion Tre showed after the final loss that telegraphed something.

I'm glad my hunch, unscientific and sentimental as it was, ended up correct, and I can't wait for next year with Tre leading the team.

Kedsy
04-09-2019, 01:11 AM
Goldwire is Matt.
AOC is Quinn.

The others are a bit of a stretch. These two aren't close.

heyman25
04-09-2019, 01:16 AM
Moore is Winslow.
Javin is Amile.
Goldwire is Matt.
AOC is Quinn.
Bolden is MP3.

Who is Hurt?
Jack White /
Joey Baker/
Boogie Ellis/
These 3 should be developed.
White should not disappear in February and March next season

proelitedota
04-09-2019, 01:17 AM
Jack White /
Joey Baker/
Boogie Ellis/
These 3 should be developed.
White should not disappear in February and March next season

Team is too deep. K is going to struggle finding minutes for all his players. :rolleyes:

MarkD83
04-09-2019, 01:21 AM
Team is too deep. K is going to struggle finding minutes for all his players. :rolleyes:

Good to see everyone’s blue colored corneas are returning. The sad and depressing threads were getting to me. Unbridled enthusiasm is much better

DukieInKansas
04-09-2019, 01:47 AM
Moore is Winslow.
Javin is Amile.
Goldwire is Matt.
AOC is Quinn.
Bolden is MP3.

Who is Hurt?

Hopefully no one. I'm tired of injuries. ;)

Wander
04-09-2019, 02:06 AM
The others are a bit of a stretch. These two aren't close.

I could see junior Goldwire playing a kinda sorta similar role to sophomore Matt Jones, as a backup defensive-oriented guard of similar quality.

But, yeah, there are many miles between AOC and a senior Quinn Cook, who was an All-ACC player and even made some national All-American teams.

uh_no
04-09-2019, 07:29 AM
team is too deep. K is going to struggle finding minutes for all his players. :rolleyes:

this is the year we go 10 deep!

godins
04-09-2019, 07:41 AM
this is the year we go 10 deep!

With Coach K’s grandson on the roster I’m penciling in a rotation of at least 12. Can’t hide Mikey Buckets on the bench in the crunch.

BD80
04-09-2019, 07:52 AM
Well, you got me there. Didn’t expect you to be able to respond. Thought you’d be one and done.

Me neither, this isn't the re-cuting thread.

Moore is Winslow.
Javin is Amile.
Goldwire is Matt.
AOC is Quinn.
Bolden is MP3.

Who is Hurt?

Every team we play …

uh_no
04-09-2019, 07:55 AM
Me neither, this isn't the re-cuting thread.

Every team we play …

killers kill

BD80
04-09-2019, 08:02 AM
A lot to like about Tre returning, specifically in terms of what next year's team needs. Experience. Leadership. Defense. Ball pressure. Decision making. Quarterback.

I think it will be great for Tre, because having Zion and RJ relegated Tre to a supporting role on the floor and in the locker room, this is now Tre's team. Zion and RJ also cut into Tre's offense - by being ball dominant and by clogging up the driving lanes. Tre should be able to display more of his offensive arsenal with drives, floaters and pull up Js. He will also be making the offensive decisions.

The most important aspect to me is that Tre will be the face of the team next year - as a player who returned - not an OAD. I loved Zion, but it more important to me to have a kid who unpacks his bags be the face of the team.

dukelifer
04-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Moore is Winslow.
Javin is Amile.
Goldwire is Matt.
AOC is Quinn.
Bolden is MP3.

Who is Hurt?

Hurt is Allen- a kid that will knock down a tough shot when needed

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-09-2019, 08:14 AM
Moore is Winslow.
Javin is Amile.
Goldwire is Matt.
AOC is Quinn.
Bolden is MP3.

Who is Hurt?

Probably our big man.

Acymetric
04-09-2019, 09:55 AM
I am ecstatic at the possibility for Tre. This now has the chance to be HIS team. Yes, there will be two or three seniors. But not one of them has played as many minutes as Jones has. You read that right: Tre Jones is almost certainly going to be our most experienced (in minutes played) returning player.

He will have potentially a team of shooters around him, unlike this year. But it is a team a bit lighter on playmakers. So next year’s squad presents him a perfect opportunity for him to make the jump from role player and defensive ace to playmaker.

The table is set, Tre. Now it is up to you to make it happen. I have confidence that he will be up to the challenge.

I went to fact check this, it is correct (but close)!

He edges out Bolden by 35 minutes and DeLaurier by about 103.

CDu
04-09-2019, 10:14 AM
I went to fact check this, it is correct (but close)!

He edges out Bolden by 35 minutes and DeLaurier by about 103.

Yeah, I checked it before I posted it. I knew that DeLaurier and Bolden had played sparingly as freshmen and sophomores, and that Jones played way more minutes than those two this year. So I knew it was possible, but I had to check to make sure.

For all the talk about Bolden, DeLaurier, and White, they are basically on the same footing as the freshmen in terms of minutes played. Coming into the season, they had combined for only 1255 minutes over 6 player-years, or about what a stud starter would play in a single season (Jones played 1,230 minutes this year, and missed multiple games; Barrett played 1,341 minutes).

Jones has played 1,230 minutes, Bolden 1,195, DeLaurier 1,123, and White 936. And unless RJ Barrett shocks absolutely everyone and turns down a top-3 pick to play at Duke another year and we don't add a grad transfer, Jones will be our leader in minutes played coming into next year. For this reason, and because he's quite possibly going to be the only of the four to start, I would not be at all shocked to see Jones named as a captain next year.

kAzE
04-09-2019, 01:59 PM
I would not be at all shocked to see Jones named as a captain next year.

I'd be shocked if he WASN'T named a captain, along with 1 or 2 of the seniors.

richardjackson199
04-09-2019, 02:01 PM
I'd be shocked if he WASN'T named a captain, along with 1 or 2 of the seniors.

My Way too early Predictions: Tre Jones, Bolden, and Javin.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Hurt is Allen- a kid that will knock down a tough shot when needed

Hurt's game very different from Allens.....although he is a very good shooter, a classic stretch 4 kinda guy.

kAzE
04-09-2019, 02:34 PM
My Way too early Predictions: Tre Jones, Bolden, and Javin.

Jack White was a co-captain this year, wasn't he? Seems logical that he would retain his captaincy. I'd probably guess Tre, Javin, Jack. Maybe Marques? Has there ever been 4 captains?

We could have over 50% captain rate in the main rotation :D

aivroadstr
04-09-2019, 03:19 PM
I wonder if Tre’s decision will cause RJ Hampton to stay in high school for his senior year and still come to Duke 2020. He would have definitely reclassified and come to Duke if Tre left. Hopefully he won’t decide to still come early to another program.

richardjackson199
04-09-2019, 03:22 PM
I wonder if Tre’s decision will cause RJ Hampton to stay in high school for his senior year and still come to Duke 2020. He would have definitely reclassified and come to Duke if Tre left. Hopefully he won’t decide to still come early to another program.

We don't know where Hampton is going. But I think most everyone expects him to ultimately reclassify and play college ball in 2019-2020. Duke is still in play along with Kentucky, Memphis, and Kansas. Too close to call. But staying in high school another year is out IMO.

Kedsy
04-09-2019, 03:42 PM
We don't know where Hampton is going. But I think most everyone expects him to ultimately reclassify and play college ball in 2019-2020. Duke is still in play along with Kentucky, Memphis, and Kansas. Too close to call. But staying in high school another year is out IMO.

Which is interesting, because it wasn't too long ago (a month or two?) that the word was that Hampton was almost definitely not reclassifying.

CDu
04-09-2019, 03:52 PM
Which is interesting, because it wasn't too long ago (a month or two?) that the word was that Hampton was almost definitely not reclassifying.

It's been a crazy few months. As you note, it went from "unlikely to reclassify" to possibly "likely to reclassify AND willing to share lead guard duties".

Also, we've gone from folks suggesting that redshirting Joey Baker is silly "because redshirts only make sense for guys who might stay five years", to folks saying "very likely Baker will redshirt", to folks now saying Baker might not crack the rotation NEXT year.

Crazy times we live in. "Reality" can change on a dime.

richardjackson199
04-09-2019, 04:02 PM
It's been a crazy few months. As you note, it went from "unlikely to reclassify" to possibly "likely to reclassify AND willing to share lead guard duties".

Also, we've gone from folks suggesting that redshirting Joey Baker is silly "because redshirts only make sense for guys who might stay five years", to folks saying "very likely Baker will redshirt", to folks now saying Baker might not crack the rotation NEXT year.

Crazy times we live in. "Reality" can change on a dime.

Get out the fire extinguisher. Can Baker just redshirt next year? ;)

dukelifer
04-09-2019, 06:24 PM
Hurt's game very different from Allens....although he is a very good shooter, a classic stretch 4 kinda guy.

Yes- the game as I understood it was to match next year’s team to 2015. The best match to Hurt was Allen as both can shoot.

SkyBrickey
04-10-2019, 10:42 AM
For what seemed like close to half of our offensive sets this season, RJ was the playmaker with Tre parked in the corner as a secondary playmaking option. Not criticizing that move. RJ is a phenomenal talent who needed the ball.

But that will not be the case next season and I'm really looking forward to seeing Tre operate in a more traditional Duke offense with shooters spreading the floor. This will open up driving and passing lanes for Tre and should really let him show off his offensive skillset. I think we could see 15ppg, 7apg, 35%+ 3ptfg from a national defensive player of the year. Suddenly very excited for next season...

HereBeforeCoachK
04-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Yes- the game as I understood it was to match next year’s team to 2015. The best match to Hurt was Allen as both can shoot.

Well there is that match, but that's about it. Allen is right much smaller, who can also slash and drive, and has big hops. Hurt is tall, and seems more Ferry-esque (although appears more athletic than Ferry).

Dukehk
04-10-2019, 10:49 AM
For what seemed like close to half of our offensive sets this season, RJ was the playmaker with Tre parked in the corner as a secondary playmaking option. Not criticizing that move. RJ is a phenomenal talent who needed the ball.

But that will not be the case next season and I'm really looking forward to seeing Tre operate in a more traditional Duke offense with shooters spreading the floor. This will open up driving and passing lanes for Tre and should really let him show off his offensive skillset. I think we could see 15ppg, 7apg, 35%+ 3ptfg from a national defensive player of the year. Suddenly very excited for next season...

More importantly, he will be in control of the team and be able to dish the ball to guys who can shoot the 3 and/or bang down low.

On paper, we seem to have a much more balanced team with less obvious weaknesses. Maybe defence won't be as great as last season, but I don't think its going to be terrible either. The thing that excites me the most is how we don't have many flaws on offense. We have low post scorers, prototypical NBA wing players and also good 3 point shooters (Baker, White, Ellis and even Hampton if he comes).

I do not expect to see iso ball for 3 straight possessions when the games on the line.

Troublemaker
04-10-2019, 12:03 PM
More importantly, he will be in control of the team and be able to dish the ball to guys who can shoot the 3 and/or bang down low.

On paper, we seem to have a much more balanced team with less obvious weaknesses. Maybe defence won't be as great as last season, but I don't think its going to be terrible either. The thing that excites me the most is how we don't have many flaws on offense. We have low post scorers, prototypical NBA wing players and also good 3 point shooters (Baker, White, Ellis and even Hampton if he comes).

I do not expect to see iso ball for 3 straight possessions when the games on the line.

Remember, we're talking about the overall #1 seed this past season; I would be more measured when comparing the two teams. Also, 3 of the 4 good shooters you listed might not even be in the rotation next season and the 4th (Jack White) shot 28% from three this season.

I do think there's the potential for offensive pieces to fit together better next season. (We do need Hurt to make it official for Duke, of course).

Dukehk
04-10-2019, 12:11 PM
Remember, we're talking about the overall #1 seed this past season; I would be more measured when comparing the two teams. Also, 3 of the 4 good shooters you listed might not even be in the rotation next season and the 4th (Jack White) shot 28% from three this season.

I do think there's the potential for offensive pieces to fit together better next season. (We do need Hurt to make it official for Duke, of course).

I agree that its hard to compare a finished article with one that hasn't even been finalised yet. Not worried about the 3 point shooting as I'm sure AOC, White, Baker, Ellis, Tre and Co. will all improve and thrive in a more perimeter orientated offense (or at least balanced one!).

However, if you think back to the preseason, absolutely nobody (not even the most optimistic of us) could predict how good this 2018 team would become. Most people were still bummed out by the Bagley/Carter/Duval/Trent team and how poorly they managed to play despite being so talented.

There was actually an air of pessimism and restrained expectations. Most were predicting we would be poor defensively etc. and need time to develop. Then the season tipped off and we tore a new one for kentucky!!! The rest is history.

I'm hoping next years team will also be pleasantly surprising like 2015 and 2018.

We seem to have a bunch of good kids coming in!

UrinalCake
04-10-2019, 12:40 PM
^ Coming into this past season I actually worried about rim protection being a major weakness. We went in to be among the nation’s leaders on blocks. Just goes to show you can’t judge a team on paper (even though it is fun to try).

Dukehk
04-10-2019, 12:48 PM
^ Coming into this past season I actually worried about rim protection being a major weakness. We went in to be among the nation’s leaders on blocks. Just goes to show you can’t judge a team on paper (even though it is fun to try).

Same here! I was worried we would be too small and get pounded in the post by travis reid and pj washington.

If I could laugh at myself 5 months ago I would, followed by a quick slap. :D

Who knew Zion Williamson would literally dominate both ends of the court in a manner probably never seen in college basketball.

Nugget
04-10-2019, 12:51 PM

I haven't seen much of Carey or Hurt, but it is difficult to believe that either of them will be anywhere close to as effective in the post as Zion was this year. He shot 74% on twos, and while many of them were dunks, a great deal of them weren't -- Zion was amazingly efficient at taking and making difficult two pointers look routine.

CDu
04-10-2019, 12:57 PM
I haven't seen much of Carey or Hurt, but it is difficult to believe that either of them will be anywhere close to as effective in the post as Zion was this year. He shot 74% on twos, and while many of them were dunks, a great deal of them weren't -- Zion was amazingly efficient at taking and making difficult two pointers look routine.

They won't be as efficient as Zion was. It's just not reasonable. Zion was off the charts in terms of combining efficiency with volume. There may never be another quite like him.

That said, the rest of the roster was fairly inefficient on offense - at least among the higher-usage guys. So while we almost certainly won't be able to match Zion's efficiency, in aggregate we might well be able to catch up from our #2, #3, and #4 scoring options.

UrinalCake
04-10-2019, 01:08 PM
That said, the rest of the roster was fairly inefficient on offense - at least among the higher-usage guys. So while we almost certainly won't be able to match Zion's efficiency, in aggregate we might well be able to catch up from our #2, #3, and #4 scoring options.

100% agree. I would love to see a statistical breakdown of everybody on the team BESIDES Zion and RJ, starting from when Zion returned from injury. Even though he was individually brilliant after coming back, the team never seemed to fully adjust around him IMO. That Syracuse game itself was a great example - he was literally perfect from the field yet it was a really close game against an average opponent without their best player. Would love to see more balance next year.

CDu
04-10-2019, 01:22 PM
100% agree. I would love to see a statistical breakdown of everybody on the team BESIDES Zion and RJ, starting from when Zion returned from injury. Even though he was individually brilliant after coming back, the team never seemed to fully adjust around him IMO. That Syracuse game itself was a great example - he was literally perfect from the field yet it was a really close game against an average opponent without their best player. Would love to see more balance next year.

Season-long efficiency stats:

RJ Barrett had a TS% of .532 on a 32.2% USG, which is probably only average (below average in a vacuum, but average when you consider his shot volume)
Reddish had a .499 TS% on a 25.3% USG (absolutely awful)
Jones had a .485 TS% on a 15.1% USG (even more awful when you consider his low usage rate)

Those three guys accounted for a TON of our shots, and were average to awful in terms of scoring efficiently.

Now, don't get me wrong: each of those guys was very valuable. Jones and Reddish were elite defenders, Barrett was a strong rebounder. Barrett and Jones were both willing passers. But they weren't contributing any sort of efficient scoring.

The rest of the guys ranged from extremely efficient by taking only high-percentage shots (DeLaurier at .710 and Bolden at .622), fairly efficient by hitting a high percentage of 3s (O'Connell at .589), or very inefficient (White at .501, Goldwire at .320). But they were mostly very low-usage guys.

As a point of reference, Zion had a .702 TS% with a 28.6% USG. That's phenomenal.

Kedsy
04-10-2019, 01:32 PM
That Syracuse game itself was a great example - he was literally perfect from the field yet it was a really close game against an average opponent without their best player.

That Syracuse game was in some ways a harbinger of the Michigan State loss, in that we turned the ball over on 25% of our possessions. That was the main reason it was a close game.

OldPhiKap
05-29-2019, 04:46 PM
Per Arowe, Tre had hip surgery and hernia surgery in the off-season.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-29-2019, 04:53 PM
Per Arowe, Tre had hip surgery and hernia surgery in the off-season.

HERNIA? Was this an issue during the season?

OldPhiKap
05-29-2019, 05:47 PM
HERNIA? Was this an issue during the season?

Don't know. Arowe tweeted about two hours ago that K announced this news today. I have not seen it anywhere else -- and jimsumner may be able to shed light on it.

I consider Arowe to be a credible source -- certainly not a rumor source -- although mods if you feel different please let me know.

miramar
05-29-2019, 06:07 PM
Tough kid. Just think of the kind of defense he will play when he's completely recovered.

weezie
05-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Absolutely developing a crush on Tre...

Steven43
05-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Absolutely developing a crush on Tre...

Developing? What have you been waiting for??

UrinalCake
05-29-2019, 09:32 PM
I remember him having hip problems last summer, IIRC it is what caused him to miss the Canada games. And after the shoulder injury against Syracuse it kind of felt like he never got back to 100%. His defense was still outstanding, but not as otherworldly as it had been prior.

I also have to wonder if the surgery played a role in his decision to come back? Probably not, if he wanted to go then he would have gone regardless. Anyways, hopefully he’ll be fully healthy by the start of the season. Our team is much better equipped to handle injuries this coming season, but Tre is the one guy we can’t afford to lose.

sagegrouse
05-29-2019, 10:18 PM
I remember him having hip problems last summer, IIRC it is what caused him to miss the Canada games. And after the shoulder injury against Syracuse it kind of felt like he never got back to 100%. His defense was still outstanding, but not as otherworldly as it had been prior.

I also have to wonder if the surgery played a role in his decision to come back? Probably not, if he wanted to go then he would have gone regardless. Anyways, hopefully he’ll be fully healthy by the start of the season. Our team is much better equipped to handle injuries this coming season, but Tre is the one guy we can’t afford to lose.

Lessee... a marginal first-round selection who is recovering from two different surgeries and, therefore, unable to work out for the NBA teams or participate in any combines? It has to be a factor, whether the decisive factor or not may never be known.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-29-2019, 10:24 PM
I And after the shoulder injury against Syracuse it kind of felt like he never got back to 100%.

Agreed. And I think the same can be said for the team.

CDu
05-30-2019, 08:00 AM
Agreed. And I think the same can be said for the team.

The team beat eventual champ UVa twice after that injury (once without Jones). And they dominated in the ACC tourney. So I don’t think they never recovered after the shoulder injury.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-30-2019, 08:09 AM
The team beat eventual champ UVa twice after that injury (once without Jones). And they dominated in the ACC tourney. So I don’t think they never recovered after the shoulder injury.

I'm not talking about the very good Duke team. I'm talking about the unbeatable Duke team. I never saw the team that beat Kentucky after that game, really. I never saw the team that decimated Cuse for the first 6 minutes after that six minutes. We certainly never saw the Tre of that first six minutes again. We led the cheats in the ACCT for what, one second? Hardly dominating. Beat UVa with fluke three point shooting in game one. I'm talking about an eye test issue here, not a metrics exam.