PDA

View Full Version : I have failed as a father...

FerryFor50
04-08-2019, 10:58 AM

left_hook_lacey
04-08-2019, 11:00 AM

It's just a phase. lol.

DarkstarWahoo
04-08-2019, 11:03 AM
On Duke stationery, no less! I think the move here is to slowly rip it up while maintaining unblinking eye contact and a neutral expression. He's flexing and you need to flex back.

freshmanjs
04-08-2019, 11:10 AM
There is still time...don't give up. Imagine my joy when 16yo daughter said it would be "morally wrong to go to UNC"

fuse
04-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Might be a phase.

That said, I’m not sure that my father has ever forgiven me for rooting for Madden’s Raiders against the Redskins in the Super Bowl.

BandAlum83
04-08-2019, 11:11 AM
On Duke stationery, no less! I think the move here is to slowly rip it up while maintaining unblinking eye contact and a neutral expression. He's flexing and you need to flex back.

Be careful, when the time came and my son was deffered decision on his early action application and later turned down, he was crushed.

Lurkingdukedog
04-08-2019, 11:30 AM

There is probably some psychology going on here -- some folks just like cheering for the underdog and Duke is rarely, if ever, the underdog. Don't worry about it too much -- the first part of the sentence says it all.....

devildeac
04-08-2019, 11:31 AM

I had no idea your son was in a creative writing course at "u"nc.

What grade did he get on that term/final paper? Did he even write it himself of did a tutor help him?

(;):rolleyes:)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-08-2019, 11:38 AM
Boy, these young people today and their recency bias...

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-08-2019, 11:40 AM
The real question is: What did you do to deserve this? Only by looking inwardly at yourself can you come to terms with your own shortcomings and right the wrongs that prompted such a heretical note.

I mean seriously, just buy your kid the Lego set and be done with it! :cool:

FerryFor50
04-08-2019, 11:45 AM
It’s funny - I don’t ever push him one way or the other. I just cheer for them and invite him along.

Kids are weird. 😂

FerryFor50
04-08-2019, 11:46 AM
I had no idea your son was in a creative writing course at "u"nc.

What grade did he get on that term/final paper? Did he even write it himself of did a tutor help him?

(;):rolleyes:)

A+, naturally. And was offered a preferred walk on spot to the men’s team, where he gets to collect all of Roy’s leftover timeouts.

weezie
04-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Good bye Kid! Hope you enjoy being a hobo and riding the rails.
It's been great while it lasted!
Hope you have another child to take up the slack.

wavedukefan70s
It’s funny - I don’t ever push him one way or the other. I just cheer for them and invite him along.

Kids are weird. 😂

I dont either. If it's any consolation my son just became a real Duke fan.
Hes been a Oregon fan for years.(I have no idea why maybe MARIOTA )kids are perplexing and wonderful all at the same time.

oldnavy

You just have to love them. My son is a tarheel through and through, but otherwise he is a great kid!!

brevity
04-08-2019, 11:55 AM
I have failed as a father...

On the contrary. This is championship caliber parenting. At long last, reverse psychology meets the reverse jinx.

El_Diablo
04-08-2019, 12:02 PM

https://assets-auto.rbl.ms/958eb5620bf87a0df292eba52c20708eccfe20b0a52ecc38cc c7f495c7e83d1d

BullBlue
04-08-2019, 12:02 PM
9308 Wow, harsh. Maybe you could get him Cameron to see Zion do a 360 dunk or something. That would fix it. :D

thedukelamere
04-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Pretty long GIF here, but this is what I thought of when I read this :D The ultimate flex on a unruly kid testing limits...

Son, I want you to enjoy basketball as much as I do.
Being a true Duke fan is 50% anxiety, 30% ignoring jealousy, 25% reiterating 9f, and only 5% unbridled joy.
If you want to root for another team, I can't stop you.
Just know that I would do anything, ANYTHING, to share that fleeting joy with you.
Because I love you.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OrderlyObviousChicken-size_restricted.gif

TKG
04-08-2019, 12:17 PM
I think this is an April Fool's joke. That handwriting looks like Julius Pepper's or Tyler Hansbrough's.

Son of Jarhead
04-08-2019, 12:18 PM

He loves Duke, and like many of us after the loss last weekend, he is heartbroken. This is his way of trying to express that. Let him know you understand his feelings. Tell him, it's ok to pull for another team as long as they are not playing Duke. Remind him how we all already pull for whoever is playing uNC*. Try pulling for our ACC brethren from Virginia tonight, but drop in many reminders of how great it felt to beat them twice this year. And, if none of that works... tell him Coach K doesn't like quitters and neither do you! If he wants to give up on Duke, he can transfer to another family!#

* It's the symbol you use in record books to indicate some bad shhhhh it happening, like when a so-called university cheats for nearly two decades.

# Just kidding on that last part about transferring to a new family. Way too much paperwork involved. And I'm sure he doesn't want to quit on Duke, just wants to play the field a little, have some fun before settling down, but, trust me, he'll never forget his first love. Go Duke!!!!!

dukebluesincebirth
04-08-2019, 12:52 PM
He loves Duke, and like many of us after the loss last weekend, he is heartbroken. This is his way of trying to express that. Let him know you understand his feelings. Tell him, it's ok to pull for another team as long as they are not playing Duke. Remind him how we all already pull for whoever is playing uNC*. Try pulling for our ACC brethren from Virginia tonight, but drop in many reminders of how great it felt to beat them twice this year. And, if none of that works... tell him Coach K doesn't like quitters and neither do you! If he wants to give up on Duke, he can transfer to another family!#

* It's the symbol you use in record books to indicate some bad shhhhh it happening, like when a so-called university cheats for nearly two decades.

# Just kidding on that last part about transferring to a new family. Way too much paperwork involved. And I'm sure he doesn't want to quit on Duke, just wants to play the field a little, have some fun before settling down, but, trust me, he'll never forget his first love. Go Duke!!!!!

#And plus, if he transfers to another family, he'll have to sit out a year, and he'll get way behind in life. I'd let him know he doesn't have to pull for Duke, that's fine. But he'll have to figure out where breakfast, lunch, and dinner are coming from!!

mattman91
04-08-2019, 12:57 PM
#And plus, if he transfers to another family, he'll have to sit out a year, and he'll get way behind in life. I'd let him know he doesn't have to pull for Duke, that's fine. But he'll have to figure out where breakfast, lunch, and dinner are coming from!!

IDK, if his father disowns him he can apply for a hardship waiver...

Peak Off-season.

53n206
04-08-2019, 12:58 PM
It's just a phase. lol.

Does he have a decent allowance? Start checking on what may be important to him.

g4orce
04-08-2019, 01:01 PM
I feel your pain. My 10yo daughter snuggled up to me while I was watching the NCSU game. It was near the end of the game, so I was overjoyed b/c up until that point she hadn't cared about watching any sports, so this made my heart swell that I could share the joy of being a Duke fan.

A couple of minutes later I realized she was quietly crying. When I asked her what was wrong, she looked at me with her big, beautiful tear-stained eyes and said... "Dad... I wanted Duke to lose."
??? WTH ??? "Sweetie, why on earth would you want that? You know we're all Duke fans."
"Well... I'm not. I like State."

Now, I'm a State grad (ME), but even on campus, I was True Blue. So, I know I shouldn't have felt this way, but I felt a perverse thrill when I told her they had lost in the NIT. Does that make me a bad dad?

dukelifer
04-08-2019, 01:11 PM
To be fair- it is tough to be a Duke fan- particularly in NC. The media and fans put huge expectations on the team and season and the ridicule for not meeting them can be harsh. The ridicule is magnified here if UNC does well or better than Duke. If you are a young kid- it is very hard to understand this. I can always take comfort in the 5 national championship I have witnessed- when the team falters in the end. Also kids are very influenced by their friends. Duke is hated in many places. In KY, Duke is hated more than Louisville for reasons that make almost no sense. In many ways it is easier to root for the team with low expectations year after year.

devildeac
04-08-2019, 01:19 PM
To be fair- it is tough to be a Duke fan- particularly in NC. The media and fans put huge expectations on the team and season and the ridicule for not meeting them can be harsh. The ridicule is magnified here if UNC does well or better than Duke. If you are a young kid- it is very hard to understand this. I can always take comfort in the 5 national championship I have witnessed- when the team falters in the end. Also kids are very influenced by their friends. Duke is hated in many places. In KY, Duke is hated more than Louisville for reasons that make almost no sense. In many ways it is easier to root for the team with low expectations year after year.

Ich bin ein Wolfpacker.

(with apologies to PackMan97 ;))

Steven43
04-08-2019, 01:39 PM
There is still time...don't give up. Imagine my joy when 16yo daughter said it would be "morally wrong to go to UNC"

Yeah? Well, imagine my feeling when my daughter decided to attend UNC (she is a freshman) and suddenly turned her back on all things Duke, including Duke Basketball. I have taken her to countless games at Cameron Indoor Stadium over the years; a considerable number of games at Wallace Wade; we often used to run the WW stadium steps; we have traversed the Duke Golf Course trail hundreds of times; she used to visit her mom while she was working at Duke Med and Duke Hospital; we’ve taken many visiting relatives and friends on tours around both East and West campus; we’ve spent quite a lot of time at the Duke Gardens; we’ve attended church several times at the Duke Chapel; she is longtime family friends/acquaintances with quite a few administrators within the Iron Dukes and Duke Athletics, as well as one of Coach K’s daughters and her children, and coaches of golf, volleyball and lacrosse.

At first I was flabbergasted and upset at her rejection of Duke. She explained it by saying something to the effect of “Duke didn’t want me, but UNC did.” I tried to argue in Duke’s defense, but it didn’t get very far. I’ve grudgingly come to accept this unexpected turn of events. But it still makes me mad deep down.

PSurprise
04-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Of course he can root for another team...anyone playing against "u"NC.

UrinalCake
04-08-2019, 02:10 PM
Generally the less you draw attention to something like this, the less a child will enjoy the rise he’s getting out of you and want to continue with it. But it also occurred to me - maybe he just wants to continue watching basketball this season and since Duke is no longer playing he just needs to pick another team? I’d ask him which team he wants to cheer for and go from there.

EKU1969
04-08-2019, 02:28 PM
After reading this thread, I am amazed at how my father, diehard Republican and Yankee fan, accepted that his young (8-10) middle son was a fan of the Democratic Party (Mid ‘50’s) AND the Brooklyn Dodgers! No fear, the young child should still grow up just fine😉👍.

FerryFor50
04-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Generally the less you draw attention to something like this, the less a child will enjoy the rise he’s getting out of you and want to continue with it. But it also occurred to me - maybe he just wants to continue watching basketball this season and since Duke is no longer playing he just needs to pick another team? I’d ask him which team he wants to cheer for and go from there.

Yea I don’t make a fuss. I tell him he can like any team he wants, even u*NC. (Usually through gritted teeth.)

He’s 5, so there’s still time...

Steven43
04-08-2019, 02:52 PM
After reading this thread, I am amazed at how my father, diehard Republican and Yankee fan, accepted that his young (8-10) middle son was a fan of the Democratic Party (Mid ‘50’s) AND the Brooklyn Dodgers! No fear, the young child should still grow up just fine😉👍.

Were Yankee fans and Dodger fans in the 50’s generally separated along political party lines?

EKU1969
04-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Were Yankee fans and Dodger fans in the 50’s generally separated along political party lines?

I think so. Was just showing that kids sometimes just root against their parents’ choices.

moonpie23
04-08-2019, 03:08 PM
yea, cheer for duke and hope he comes along...

HereBeforeCoachK
04-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Make him "show his work" so to speak. So you love Duke and all, but want to cheer for another team. WHY?

wavedukefan70s
04-08-2019, 03:25 PM

My dad a Dodgers fan since the 50s managed to make my son a Dodgers fan.
Dont say a word about koufax. Lol

cspan37421
04-08-2019, 03:26 PM
Good bye Kid! Hope you enjoy being a hobo and riding the rails.

Grandpa, is that you? :eek:

wavedukefan70s
04-08-2019, 03:31 PM

Kids are weird. 😂

Just wait till your 270 pound highschool freshman son walks in the door sweaty from football and hugs you and you cant get away.just to get you sweaty.

cspan37421
04-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Maybe the kid just wants a rooting interest for tonight? I'll be rooting for UVA. I think. I guess.

Where's that coin?

Indoor66
04-08-2019, 04:13 PM

Did you? 😂😎

EKU1969
04-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Did you? 😂😎

Ask my wife of 52 years...and for that matter, my son, the Duke grad!😇🙂

revmel53
04-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Not really rooting for either team, as we should be there... And the 9:30 start isn't appealing. Go Devils! Hope the hype about Tre coming back is true.

gotoguy
04-08-2019, 04:42 PM
Did your son fill out a bracket? I think he is asking permission to cheer for another team in the final 4

FerryFor50
04-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Did your son fill out a bracket? I think he is asking permission to cheer for another team in the final 4

He’s 5, so... no. 😁

roge054
04-08-2019, 06:51 PM
I love the honesty. A stand up guy. Had a man to man chat when my son was 10. I told him he could pick any NFL, MLB, NBA team even any college football team, other than you know who, to be his team. However, when it came to college basketball there was no choice. We're a Duke family and that's it. He understood and we've never had any issues. I took him and his buds to Wade for years until one Saturday he said to his mother "please don't let him make me go to another football game". It was sad.

-jk
04-08-2019, 07:04 PM
My kids (with double Duke basketball parents, and then some; and, well, we met at a Duke game in the once Meadowlands) have never wavered from Duke hoops. When they were little, we went "Yea!, JJ" to get them to raise their hands. (Sometimes during games, sometimes when we were trying to get their shirts off. Parenting; you do what works!) "D-U-K-E" was one of their first sight words...

I never tried to get them to go to a football game, though (though I went to a bunch as a kid, back when we were still fairly solid before that long trip through the desert).

My elder is now enrolled at a different D1 school, but still wears the Duke hoodie. My younger, with us twice in DC last weekend, wore it to school last Monday. (And the twerps - we have a lot of twerps here in MoCo - gave him a rough time. Before heading out, I tossed him some hard earned advice from my late ES and Jr Hi school years in the early '70s; do the math...)

I've tried to explain to them just how lucky they are to be Duke fans in the K era! I don't think either really gets it. Heck, I still marvel...

-jk

MCFinARL
04-08-2019, 07:25 PM
I may actually be nominating you for father of the year (after all--he felt it was okay to tell you this, and cared enough about you to let you down gently)--but first I have a couple of questions:

1. Is his desire to root for another team connected to the fact that Duke is no longer playing? If so, he gets a 100% pass. A five-year-old can't really be expected to wait until next season.
2. What other team does he want to root for, and why? Obviously, one team would be a crushing blow, but many others could be acceptable, as long as his choice is made for some positive reason (quirky or otherwise) and not out of anti-Duke bias.

Seriously, though, this is one of the most charming child-parent communications I have ever seen. May be time to count your blessings despite the unorthodox views expressed. :)

Steven43
04-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Seriously, though, this is one of the most charming child-parent communications I have ever seen. May be time to count your blessings despite the unorthodox views expressed. :)
Nice way of putting it. Completely agree.

FerryFor50
04-08-2019, 09:42 PM
I may actually be nominating you for father of the year (after all--he felt it was okay to tell you this, and cared enough about you to let you down gently)--but first I have a couple of questions:

1. Is his desire to root for another team connected to the fact that Duke is no longer playing? If so, he gets a 100% pass. A five-year-old can't really be expected to wait until next season.
2. What other team does he want to root for, and why? Obviously, one team would be a crushing blow, but many others could be acceptable, as long as his choice is made for some positive reason (quirky or otherwise) and not out of anti-Duke bias.

I think he just likes to tweak his parents on occasion. Tries to get a reaction.

He’s not super into watching sports right now, so it’s hard to pinpoint where he was going with it. And when you ask him, he goes full teenager on us. Shrugs, says “I dunno.”

I generally try not to make a huge display of these things - especially when I think he’s trying to get to me.

All in all, I found it hilarious.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-08-2019, 10:10 PM

With a few exceptions, in my 30+ years of Duke Fandom lived in NC (off and on over my life) I am almost ALWAYS the only Duke fan in the room.

Apologies to Ricks68 and Mattman91 - you are a few of the sparse exceptions in recent times.

I'm used to it at this point.

-jk
04-08-2019, 10:30 PM
With a few exceptions, in my 30+ years of Duke Fandom lived in NC (off and on over my life) I am almost ALWAYS the only Duke fan in the room.

Apologies to Ricks68 and Mattman91 - you are a few of the sparse exceptions in recent times.

I'm used to it at this point.

Been there, done that. A bunch of us have.

Tough, in a state with State and those other guys.

-jk

Jeffrey
04-09-2019, 10:05 AM
I’m not sure that my father has ever forgiven me for rooting for Madden’s Raiders against the Redskins in the Super Bowl.

I'm not sure he should.

devildeac
04-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Might be a phase.

That said, I’m not sure that my father has ever forgiven me for rooting for Madden’s Raiders against the Redskins in the Super Bowl.

Maybe you should buy him Lunch. Or Dinner.

ChillinDuke
04-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Yes. Yes, you have.

- Chillin

Jeffrey
04-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Maybe you should buy him Lunch. Or Dinner.

Every day for the rest of his life!