PDA

View Full Version : Williamson wins Naismith Award

jimsumner
04-07-2019, 01:36 PM
Portions of press release.

"Duke’s Zion Williamson was named the 2019 Citizen Naismith Trophy winner as college basketball’s most outstanding player, announced today by the Atlanta Tipoff Club. The sensational 6’7” forward from Spartanburg, South Carolina, became just the third men’s player ever to win the award in as a freshman, joining Anthony Davis (Kentucky, 2012) and Kevin Durant (Texas, 2007). Williamson edged out three other finalists: juniors Rui Hachimura (Gonzaga) and Grant Williams (Tennessee) and sophomore Ja Morant (Murray State). The announcement and presentation of the Citizen Naismith Trophy—named after the inventor of basketball, Dr. James Naismith—was made at the Naismith Awards Brunch presented by Mortenson at the Nicollet Island Pavilion in downtown Minneapolis.

Williamson is the eighth Blue Devil to claim the top honor, giving Duke the most men’s trophy wins by any men’s basketball program. J.J. Redick (2006) was the school’s most recent honoree. Additional men’s winners of the Citizen Naismith Trophy from Duke include Jason Williams (2002), Shane Battier (2001), Elton Brand (1999), Christian Laettner (1992), Danny Ferry (1989) and Johnny Dawkins (1986)."

weezie
04-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Congratulations to Zion!

I'm really sorry this day is being marred by Twitter and accusations.

DukieInKansas
04-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Congratulations!

Dukehk
04-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Well deserved for Zion.

Can’t remember the last time someone dominated college basketball in this manner. Probably have to go back to Kenyon Martin as a senior.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-07-2019, 03:30 PM
Congrats Zion. Ho-hum, another POY award. (OK, I'm just kidding about that! We're all VERY proud of you!)

Now do something really spectacular, shock the world and come back to Duke for another year! And bring your buddies back with you, too! :cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Wander
04-07-2019, 03:33 PM
Can’t remember the last time someone dominated college basketball in this manner. Probably have to go back to Kenyon Martin as a senior.

I think some guys (JJ Redick, Kevin Durant) have dominated on offense to a similar degree, but the combination of elite offense and elite defense is what sets Zion apart. Not sure who the last guy to dominate this much on both ends of the floor was.

-jk
04-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Congrats Zion. Ho-hum, another POY award. (OK, I'm just kidding about that! We're all VERY proud of you!)

Now do something really spectacular, shock the world and come back to Duke for another year! And bring your buddies back with you, too! :cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Take care of some unfinished business. Or something... Sure!

-jk

arnie
04-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Take care of some unfinished business. Or something... Sure!

-jk

Will we have a scholarship available for Zion😆

-jk
04-07-2019, 04:01 PM

I'm sure we could find one...

-jk

devildeac
04-07-2019, 07:29 PM

It'd be a shoe-in.

uh_no
04-07-2019, 07:34 PM

what kind of teammate would be be to leave tre to the dogs.... of next year's recruiting class!

you know you want to, big guy!

rsvman
04-07-2019, 08:40 PM
It'd be a shoe-in.

Trust DD to tie that in.

SavDukeGrad
04-12-2019, 08:38 PM
And Zion wins the Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year award!

richardjackson199
04-12-2019, 09:32 PM
And Zion wins the Wooden Award as expected.

Congrats Zion!

richardjackson199
04-12-2019, 09:34 PM
Maria Taylor asked Zion again if he was going pro. Again he said "Like I said, I don't know."

But he kinda tipped his hand when he did answer about all the things he would miss about being at Duke.

SavDukeGrad
04-12-2019, 09:36 PM
I was just thinking while watching the Wooden Awards ceremony... has one team ever had 2 of the 5 finalists before? Amazing that Zion and RJ were both finalists!

Congratulations to Zion!

Dukehky
04-12-2019, 09:56 PM
Maria Taylor asked Zion again if he was going pro. Again he said "Like I said, I don't know."

But he kinda tipped his hand when he did answer about all the things he would miss about being at Duke.

I would never seek season tickets and pay that amount of money to his favorite charity every year for the rest of my life to see him play for Duke again.

Messimorgan17
04-12-2019, 10:07 PM
what kind of teammate would be be to leave tre to the dogs... of next year's recruiting class!

you know you want to, big guy!

Yes, he doesn’t want to play for the knicks. Can you imagine if the Knicks do end up with the number one pick in the draft and Zion decides to return to Duke. Wow.

Furniture
04-12-2019, 11:16 PM
Brilliant young man in all respects...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-13-2019, 12:20 PM
Yes, he doesn’t want to play for the knicks. Can you imagine if the Knicks do end up with the number one pick in the draft and Zion decides to return to Duke. Wow.

After the game at Madison Square Garden, didn't a reporter asked him about playing for the Knicks and he said "I think RJ would be a better fit here." Or something to that degree?

richardjackson199
04-13-2019, 12:33 PM
After the game at Madison Square Garden, didn't a reporter asked him about playing for the Knicks and he said "I think RJ would be a better fit here." Or something to that degree?

I thought he was completely joking. He had that big smile on his face and was yelling so RJ could hear him, "RJ, do you want to play for the Knicks?!" He loved to joke around with post-game interviews. He said multiple times that he would love to play for whatever team drafts him.

It's true that Zion literally could declare, hire an agent, and then return to Duke if he didn't like the team who gets the #1 pick. Like for example if he didn't want to live/play in Cleveland, he could return. I can't imagine why he wouldn't want to play in New York for Fizdale if they really got Kyrie and Durant to play with him. Of course any team who picks #1 is probably going to be bad, but a New York market and that team would be must-watch and sold out.

That hypothetical aside, Zion is of course gone baby gone. He has to go. He just cannot accept the risk of injury that would come with another year of playing in college, regardless of any insurance policy Duke could pay for. Deserved or not, Duke and K would face unprecedented criticism if he really returned. Zion must and will sign that $100 million shoe contract this summer; I'd think any financial advisor would agree. Zion said "Who Knows?" when they asked him about what he was doing next year because the Wooden award presentation was not the time or place to declare. He was enjoying and staying in that moment, and allowing the other award winners to enjoy their moment as well. But he will declare for the draft, probably with a classy Brotherhood video like Cam and RJ. I expect it Monday or Tuesday.

Z could not have represented Duke better and been better for Duke. And Duke will be fun next year. I'm already getting excited about what will be a very different Duke team. Should be an interesting minutes contest!

dukefan5656
04-13-2019, 02:43 PM
Who would have thought last year when he announced that this was going to happen... It blows my mind how much better he is than most people thought. Congratulations to Zion, no one more deserving in a long long time.