PDA

View Full Version : Forget Michigan State being a tough opponent

lavell12
11-03-2007, 04:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3092661

They lose to a Division 2 team in an exhibition game.

JasonEvans
11-03-2007, 06:49 AM

Michigan State is well known for early season struggles that evaporate as the year goes on and leave them a quite tough team later in the season. Perhaps this means they are getting their stinkers out of the way really early in the season. Regardless, I am pretty confident that by the end of the season, our game with Michigan State will be a nice boost to our RPI and look good on our resume.

--Jason "losing an exhibition does not count at all in the grand scheme of the whole season" Evans

Buckeye Devil
11-03-2007, 08:19 AM
First Michigan loses to Appalachian State (a team from what used to be known as Division 1-A) in football and now Michigan State loses to Division 2 Grand Valley State in an exhibition basketball game. Is losing to lower division schools a developing habit in the Great Lakes State?

MSU is a pre-season favorite in the Big 10, for what that is worth. This is just an exhibition and playing them later in the year will undoubtedly help the RPI. Izzo is a quality coach and with the talent they have, the Spartans will prove to be a stiff test for Duke.

Lulu
11-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Regardless, I am pretty confident that by the end of the season, our game with Michigan State will be a nice boost to our RPI and look good on our resume.
\

What game with MSU? Am I missing something?

YmoBeThere
11-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Agreed, we have a game with Michigan in December but I'm not seeing Michigan State.

YmoBeThere
11-03-2007, 09:38 AM
First Michigan loses to Appalachian State (a team from what used to be known as Division 1-A) in football and now Michigan State loses to Division 2 Grand Valley State in an exhibition basketball game. Is losing to lower division schools a developing habit in the Great Lakes State?

FWIW, Michigan could go into their game with OSU with a shot at a BCS bowl if they win, if my read of the college standing/bowl selections is correct.

Olympic Fan
11-03-2007, 10:01 AM
FWIW, Michigan could go into their game with OSU with a shot at a BCS bowl if they win, if my read of the college standing/bowl selections is correct.

Well, Michigan has yet to lose in the Big Ten ... so if they win out, they played in the Rose Bowl -- it doesn't matter what their BCS rankings are. They are unlikely to qualify for the championship game.

As for Michigan State, I've seen several posters suggest they are on the schedule this year. They are not -- and they're not in the Maui field (as another poster suggested).

JasonEvans
11-03-2007, 10:44 AM
It is me-- I'm an idiot. I saw Michigan on the schedule and thought it was Michigan State. I don't know why I thought that.

--Jason "Duuuh!!" Evans

Indoor66
11-03-2007, 11:13 AM
It is me-- I'm an idiot. I saw Michigan on the schedule and thought it was Michigan State. I don't know why I thought that.

--Jason "Duuuh!!" Evans

Obviously Posting Fatigue Syndrome. :)

YmoBeThere
11-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Obviously Posting Fatigue Syndrome. :)

The downside of being a post-o-matic and moderator. Another is that you don't get to advance up the ranks. But right now, All-ACC Honorable Mention is a long way away...

DevilAlumna
11-03-2007, 02:51 PM

From the little I know about Grand Valley State, I'd say this isn't that major an upset. They're a great division II sports school; iirc, their football team has won the D2 championship more than once in recent memory; they won the 06-07 D2 equivalent of the Director's Cup. With those kinds of sports bona fides, they probably can get together 8-10 guys who are competitive enough on the basketball court.

Edit: Holy schnikeys! Just perusing their athletics site -- it says the GVSU football team has one 94 out of its last 100 games, and is currently on a 28-game winning streak!

Wander
11-03-2007, 04:58 PM
From the little I know about Grand Valley State, I'd say this isn't that major an upset.

Yes it is.

JasonEvans
11-04-2007, 06:45 AM
The downside of being a post-o-matic and moderator. Another is that you don't get to advance up the ranks. But right now, All-ACC Honorable Mention is a long way away...

I'd be All-ACC, 3rd team right now if I was not a moderator and post-a-matic ;)

--Jason "whew, this board takes some work!!!" Evans

throatybeard
11-04-2007, 08:35 PM
All I know about GVSU is that our former WBB coach, whose departure is much lamented, wen there.

dukemsu
11-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure MSU is the Final Four favorite some Big Ten people are saying, but I wouldn't toss them in the garbage based upon their loss to GVSU. I watched the whole game-they have several new contributors, and they don't know the system too well yet. They are also trying to get away from their over-reliance on Neitzel-then of course they tried to have him bail them out like he did most of last year.

State should be a Sweet 16 team based on their guard play, defense, and coaching. If their bigs improve, they could do better than that.