PDA

View Full Version : Painful

kaufmjo
04-06-2019, 10:25 AM
To watch ESPN final four previews of inferior talent. However it’s about the team and we weren’t. Somebody I saw this am made a comment that Duke may have peaked its first games of the season. While not sure about that we certainly didn’t ramp like others probably for a host of injury related reasons. I’m also disappointed in the in game coaching for MSU. Had K made adjustments in the second half I feel we might be playing this weekend.

Anyways just bitter this am

tteettimes
04-06-2019, 10:35 AM
I feel your pain.......this is a miserable day......only Monday night will be worse
He’ll of it is I really really enjoyed watching our team play......they were really great when all healthy and hitting on all cylinders........but today 😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞

freshmanjs
04-06-2019, 10:39 AM
To watch ESPN final four previews of inferior talent. However it’s about the team and we weren’t. Somebody I saw this am made a comment that Duke may have peaked its first games of the season. While not sure about that we certainly didn’t ramp like others probably for a host of injury related reasons. I’m also disappointed in the in game coaching for MSU. Had K made adjustments in the second half I feel we might be playing this weekend.

Anyways just bitter this am

This again? We lost by 1 point in the elite 8. Every single remaining team had a coin-flip game in the elite 8. There is literally no team who had a clear victory in the elite 8.

arnie
04-06-2019, 11:43 AM
This again? We lost by 1 point in the elite 8. Every single remaining team had a coin-flip game in the elite 8. There is literally no team who had a clear victory in the elite 8.

Yea I’m not bitter about losing; we should have lost to Central Florida and could have easily lost to VT. We won the ACC tourney and made the Elite 8 despite not playing great at end of year.

CameronBornAndBred
04-06-2019, 11:51 AM
Very hard to say "inferior talent" when that talent is playing and we aren't. Those teams earned the right to be there.

duke74
04-06-2019, 11:58 AM
I have an easy answer. Not watching any of it. Got 5 hours of my life back.

kaufmjo
04-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Very hard to say "inferior talent" when that talent is playing and we aren't. Those teams earned the right to be there.

Good point. But this is one I think where sum of the parts is greater than the whole

rthomas
04-06-2019, 12:23 PM
I couldn't take it, so I went to Vienna, Austria for the week. No, honestly, I had to go here for business, but I had been worrying about how to watch Duke in the Final 4. Now I see that the 2nd game, which would have been ours, starts at 3AM. I guesss its a small blessing in disguise that I don't need to watch.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-06-2019, 12:23 PM

Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive. Did these teams earn the right to be there? Yes. Does Duke have superior talent to all of them? Probably so. There's no contradiction there.

wavedukefan70s
04-06-2019, 01:09 PM
I'm still bummed.i was looking forward to watching us play in the final four.i keep replaying different scenarios in my head aswell.im hoping Jones comes back .maybe reddish too.
I absolutely enjoyed the hell out of this season.
Cant say that about every season.
Maybe this is why this one stings.

left_hook_lacey
04-06-2019, 01:12 PM

This, and I'll add, MSU for example had/has injuries and found a way to make it. All teams have injuries over the course of a season. It's the nature of the sport. We had our best two players back and a number 1 seed. Can't ask for much more than that, we just came up short. It happens. I'm going to relax tonight and enjoy watching the games stress free.

nmduke2001
04-06-2019, 01:26 PM
I have an insufferable Auburn grad coworker. Several years ago he was telling me how good Auburn would be at basketball that year. I countered with how good Duke football was going to be. One thing led to another and a $1000 bet (indexed for inflation) was made. The winner is the first of Duke football or Auburn basketball to win a championship. Stupid bet by me considering that one or two players can make a huge difference in basketball. Anyway, I never imagined either of us would actually have to pay off that bet. Anyone but Auburn this final four.

richardjackson199
04-06-2019, 03:21 PM
I have an insufferable Auburn grad coworker. Several years ago he was telling me how good Auburn would be at basketball that year. I countered with how good Duke football was going to be. One thing led to another and a $1000 bet (indexed for inflation) was made. The winner is the first of Duke football or Auburn basketball to win a championship. Stupid bet by me considering that one or two players can make a huge difference in basketball. Anyway, I never imagined either of us would actually have to pay off that bet. Anyone but Auburn this final four.

You have no worries. Auburn is going down tonight.

But I could not appreciate more what Auburn did eliminating the axis of evil - Kansas, UNCheat, and Kentucky. Strong work Bruce Pearl. But Tony Bennett is a good guy, and UVA is at the opposite end of the spectrum this year. Auburn is toast.

UrinalCake
04-06-2019, 05:34 PM
I guess it depends how you define “talent.” If you mean individual one on one skill projected over a player’s future NBA career, then yes we had superior talent to anyone still playing. If you mean the ability to score points and prevent your opponent from doing the same, as a collective group of five players at a time, we were in a group of about 10 teams with roughly equal talent.

UrinalCake
04-06-2019, 05:36 PM
But I could not appreciate more what Auburn did eliminating the axis of evil - Kansas, UNCheat, and Kentucky. Strong work Bruce Pearl.

100% agree. If UK or god forbid the CHeats were still alive right now, life as a fan would be insufferable. It’s a huge relief that there aren’t any teams remaining that I hate.

Rich
04-06-2019, 05:54 PM
I guess it depends how you define “talent.” If you mean individual one on one skill projected over a player’s future NBA career, then yes we had superior talent to anyone still playing. If you mean the ability to score points and prevent your opponent from doing the same, as a collective group of five players at a time, we were in a group of about 10 teams with roughly equal talent.

I have an uneasy feeling that history will look back at our talent from 2017-19, wonder how we didn’t make any Final Fours, and actually question our coaching and K’s legacy. We on DBR know we’ve dealt with lots of injuries, youth, some fatal flaws on our teams, and two excruciatingly close losses in the Elite 8, but those sorts of things get lost by the media, especially over time.

Seeing all of the awards and accolades that Zion is receiving as a transcendent talent is starting to bug me, not because I don’t think he’s a great kid or wonderful for the program, but because it’s going to raise more criticism and questioning down the road how we couldn’t ride him (with RJ) to at least a Final Four. That’s what’s painful to me.

uh_no
04-06-2019, 06:42 PM
I have an uneasy feeling that history will look back at our talent from 2017-19, wonder how we didn’t make any Final Fours, and actually question our coaching and K’s legacy. We on DBR know we’ve dealt with lots of injuries, youth, some fatal flaws on our teams, and two excruciatingly close losses in the Elite 8, but those sorts of things get lost by the media, especially over time.

Seeing all of the awards and accolades that Zion is receiving as a transcendent talent is starting to bug me, not because I don’t think he’s a great kid or wonderful for the program, but because it’s going to raise more criticism and questioning down the road how we couldn’t ride him (with RJ) to at least a Final Four. That’s what’s painful to me.

i doubt the guy with the most wins and second most titles will be questioned for not winning more. winning nattys is hard... even with great talent.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-06-2019, 06:48 PM

I think you bring up an interesting point. History ignores injuries, and razor thin losses in the Elite Eight will be judged no differently in "Final Four" math" than blow outs. There are really four "goals/criteria" for college basketball programs.....appearances...Sweet 16s.....Final Fours....Nattys. For the top programs, the only goals are the FFs and the Natty.