PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Offseason Transfer Megathread

scottdude8
04-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Not sure I saw a thread of this type anywhere so I figured I'd start it, along with this piece of news: K.J. Lawson is planning on transferring from Kansas (https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/04/04/kansas-jayhawks-kj-lawson-transfer), after playing there for just one year after transferring from Memphis.

Dual-transfers like this are reasonably rare, but seem to be happening more and more (facilitated by grad-transfer rules). It's unclear whether Lawson is a grad transfer candidate, but it is a possibility considering he spent two years on campus at Memphis (he got a medical redshirt in his first year) and two years at Kansas (one sitting out after the transfer, and then playing last year).

I wouldn't at all be surprised if this news is followed quickly by news that his brother Dedric is going pro (it looks like he'd be a mid-second round pick according to most mocks)... that's one of the few ways this makes sense to me, especially if K.J. isn't eligible for a grad-transfer and would have to sit out another year at his new school. But it seems like an odd situation to be sure.

With K.J. leaving and Dedric possibly doing so, Kansas could be losing a lot next year... LaGerald Vick is a senior and will be gone (although considering he left the team midway through the year and had tested the NBA draft waters last season, he was possibly gone regardless), Udoka Azubuike could choose to settle for being a potential second round draft pick rather than risk another injury in a return for a senior season, and Quintin Grimes and Devon Dotson were both such highly rated recruits that it's always possible one of them makes an ill-informed decision to declare for the draft, as seems to be happening more and more for top-rated players who underperform. The Jayhawks are going to have to really hope they land one of the remaining top-tier recruits if they want to get back atop the Big 12 next year.

Natty_B
04-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Not sure I saw a thread of this type anywhere so I figured I'd start it, along with this piece of news: K.J. Lawson is planning on transferring from Kansas (https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/04/04/kansas-jayhawks-kj-lawson-transfer), after playing there for just one year after transferring from Memphis.

Dual-transfers like this are reasonably rare, but seem to be happening more and more (facilitated by grad-transfer rules). It's unclear whether Lawson is a grad transfer candidate, but it is a possibility considering he spent two years on campus at Memphis (he got a medical redshirt in his first year) and two years at Kansas (one sitting out after the transfer, and then playing last year).

I wouldn't at all be surprised if this news is followed quickly by news that his brother Dedric is going pro (it looks like he'd be a mid-second round pick according to most mocks)... that's one of the few ways this makes sense to me, especially if K.J. isn't eligible for a grad-transfer and would have to sit out another year at his new school. But it seems like an odd situation to be sure.

With K.J. leaving and Dedric possibly doing so, Kansas could be losing a lot next year... LaGerald Vick is a senior and will be gone (although considering he left the team midway through the year and had tested the NBA draft waters last season, he was possibly gone regardless), Udoka Azubuike could choose to settle for being a potential second round draft pick rather than risk another injury in a return for a senior season, and Quintin Grimes and Devon Dotson were both such highly rated recruits that it's always possible one of them makes an ill-informed decision to declare for the draft, as seems to be happening more and more for top-rated players who underperform. The Jayhawks are going to have to really hope they land one of the remaining top-tier recruits if they want to get back atop the Big 12 next year.

KU has two dual transfers. Charlie Moore is also leaving.

scottdude8
04-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Saw that right after my post and thought about adding it but you beat me to it, haha. He wasn't much of a contributor though (not that K.J. was a world beater but he did play 10 mpg at least).

Lurkingdukedog
04-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Saw that right after my post and thought about adding it but you beat me to it, haha. He wasn't much of a contributor though (not that K.J. was a world beater but he did play 10 mpg at least).

What's your take on why they're transferring? Is it because of the uncertainty of the sneaker scandal or something else?

CDu
04-05-2019, 06:41 PM
What's your take on why they're transferring? Is it because of the uncertainty of the sneaker scandal or something else?

Well, neither played major minutes after transferring from second-tier conferences. Could be that they realized they were in over their heads.

scottdude8
04-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Figured this was worth bumping and moving discussion of the latest transfer news, this regarding Wojo's Marquette (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?43363-NBA-Draft-Early-Entry-2019&p=1156531#post1156531), here... the Hauser brothers, arguably Marquette's biggest non-Marcus Howard players, are transferring (https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2019/04/15/hauser-brothers-transferring-marquette/3474703002/).

frb
04-16-2019, 03:28 AM
a lot of people will be after the Hauser brothers. UVA and Wisconsin being mentioned. really bad optics for wojo to lose his top 2 rebounders and 2 of his 3 top scorers. marquette was looking like a top 10 team with Howard returning and the Hauser brothers.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-16-2019, 07:29 AM
a lot of people will be after the Hauser brothers. UVA and Wisconsin being mentioned. really bad optics for wojo to lose his top 2 rebounders and 2 of his 3 top scorers. marquette was looking like a top 10 team with Howard returning and the Hauser brothers.

I think it's bad optics for the Hauser brothers too. Looks like they just decided to go shopping for the heck of it. This story has a strange feel to it. Maybe a butt-inski dad influence while the kids were back home? You know in theory player freedom is a good thing. In practice it's often capricious and harmful to teammates.

jamos14
04-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Virginia Tech F Kerry Blackshear Jr is transferring. He is potentially a grad transfer and eligible to play right away.

Somebody is going to get real lucky with him next year.

CDu
04-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Virginia Tech F Kerry Blackshear Jr is transferring. He is potentially a grad transfer and eligible to play right away.

Somebody is going to get real lucky with him next year.

Please don't say UNC. Please don't say UNC.

jamos14
04-16-2019, 02:06 PM

I have a feeling.

They have already established themselves as the intra-ACC transfer experts.

UrinalCake
04-16-2019, 02:08 PM
For real. Blackshear would surpass Reid Travis as the highest impact grad transfer in recent memory. I’m actually a little surprised he doesn’t just go ahead and put his name in the draft pool while also exploring transfers. If he goes to UNC that would be huge, add in Cole Anthony and they are in the title mix.

bullettoothtony
04-16-2019, 02:09 PM

Would he and Bacot complement each other?

CDu
04-16-2019, 02:10 PM
For real. Blackshear would surpass Reid Travis as the highest impact grad transfer in recent memory. I’m actually a little surprised he doesn’t just go ahead and put his name in the draft pool while also exploring transfers. If he goes to UNC that would be huge, add in Cole Anthony and they are in the title mix.

He's from Orlando, so maybe he's a UF fan and wants to play there. Or maybe he loved playing with Buzz and will go to Texas A&M. Just trying to think optimistically here. Him going to UNC would be an AWFUL turn of events.

DavidBenAkiva
04-16-2019, 02:10 PM

Corey Evans reported that Blackshear is considering the NBA as an option. My hope is that he follows Buzz Williams out of the ACC or goes pro.

dukebluesincebirth
04-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Is it just me, or is this transfer thing getting a little out of control? It's like an entire additional recruiting market every offseason now. Why are there SO many guys transferring so often now? And within the conference should absolutely not be allowed. That's whack.

devildeac
04-16-2019, 02:12 PM
I have a feeling.

They have already established themselves as the intra-ACC transfer experts.

He might shoot 30 FT/game if he plays for the cheats. :mad:

Truth&Justise
04-16-2019, 02:12 PM
Would he and Bacot complement each other?

Blackshear's shooting touch and mobility would help him play alongside pretty much anyone. Now, VaTech unlocked a lot of mismatches by having him play center, and you'd lose some of that advantage if you pair him with a low-post player. But he's talented and versatile enough to fit anywhere.

Truth&Justise
04-16-2019, 02:21 PM
Is it just me, or is this transfer thing getting a little out of control? It's like an entire additional recruiting market every offseason now. Why are there SO many guys transferring so often now? And within the conference should absolutely not be allowed. That's whack.

Intra-conference transfers are governed by Section VI-2 of the conference bylaws (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/ACCEligibilityRules.pdf), which requires a player transferring from one ACC school to another to sit out a year. So even if you were immediately eligible under NCAA rules, you'd still have to sit out a year under the ACC rule.

But grad-transfers are exempted from the ACC rule. So if the player has graduated, neither NCAA nor ACC rules would mandate a year off. That said, the school is allowed--though the practice is publicly unpopular--to put certain restrictions on grad transfers. Most schools have restrictions that would prevent transferring within the conference...

...unless you're going to UNC and you get the media to relentlessly pressure the original school into granting you a waiver.

Nugget
04-16-2019, 02:25 PM
I think it's bad optics for the Hauser brothers too. Looks like they just decided to go shopping for the heck of it. This story has a strange feel to it. Maybe a butt-inski dad influence while the kids were back home? You know in theory player freedom is a good thing. In practice it's often capricious and harmful to teammates.

Or, perhaps they think Howard is too much of a ball hog. Either way, it's a strange, bad look for all involved.

Nugget
04-16-2019, 02:29 PM
According to John Rothstein, Kerry Blackshear is considering a grad transfer. Wow.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eser p%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

flyingdutchdevil
04-16-2019, 02:47 PM
According to John Rothstein, Kerry Blackshear is considering a grad transfer. Wow.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eser p%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

No Buzz Williams. I can't blame him.

ndkjr70
04-16-2019, 02:49 PM
Couldn’t VT block Blackshear from going to UNC? And it’s not like it’s Pitt who had 27 fans who would get upset. They’re an enormous sports school who just came off a sweet-16 loss. Blackshear was a huge part of their team.

Block him.

mattman91
04-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Let the kids transfer to wherever they want.

Pghdukie
04-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Intra-conference transfers are governed by Section VI-2 of the conference bylaws (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/ACCEligibilityRules.pdf), which requires a player transferring from one ACC school to another to sit out a year. So even if you were immediately eligible under NCAA rules, you'd still have to sit out a year under the ACC rule.

But grad-transfers are exempted from the ACC rule. So if the player has graduated, neither NCAA nor ACC rules would mandate a year off. That said, the school is allowed--though the practice is publicly unpopular--to put certain restrictions on grad transfers. Most schools have restrictions that would prevent transferring within the conference...

...unless you're going to UNC and you get the media to relentlessly pressure the original school into granting you a waiver.

Cam Johnson leaving Pitt as a grad student played immediately at UNC. He even played 2yrs because he got his degree in only 3 yrs from Pitt.

UrinalCake
04-16-2019, 03:16 PM
There’s also a rule that the school you’re transferring to must offer a degree program that your original school does not. It’s a ridiculous rule meant to maintain the guise of athletes being students first, but it does exist. Nevertheless, this shouldn’t be a hard obstacle to overcome because UNC is the only school in the country that offers majors in sleeping, plagiarism and cheating.

Oshima25
04-16-2019, 03:48 PM
we're freaking out about Blackshear-UNC? I get that it would be a downer because he kills us, but are we just randomly guessing he'd consider it or is there some indication of interest?

Right now UNC's best players look to be Brooks and Bacot, at least until Anthony commits. Does Blackshear really need to go to a program facing a down year where the only relative strength is the frontcourt that's already in place? (Yes I know he's better than both those guys, but point is all three would need major minutes.) Seems to me that beyond finding a place he personally likes and feels comfortable with he ought to look for a potential contender with a clear gap for him.

Marquette, Gonzaga, Kentucky (they have forwards but I'm not sure he wouldn't be their best, and unlike UNC, UK's best talent will be in other positions)... maybe Kansas if Azubuike bails. These teams all make a lot more sense to me, among prospective heavyweights.

Obviously I think just about anyone would like to have him.

scottdude8
04-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Wow. Tough news for VT that Buzz leaving is resulting in such an exodus, although you can't blame players for wanting the same freedom their coaches have. While in the short term this is good news for Duke and our ACC title hopes (especially this year where we have a double-dip with VT), VT's success was a boon to the ACC as a whole. Hopefully they find their footing sooner rather than later.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-16-2019, 04:01 PM

I am in this camp. The kids have the most restrictions in all this, and they can get stranded by coaches, teammates going pro, or sanctions from the NCAA.

Cam Johnson aside, I don't understand the consternation about in conference transfers. Do people really think Blackshear will carry reliable Intel about VaTech post-Buzz that will swing one or two conference games? And that's the rationale for keeping him from going to the school of his choice, forcing him to attend a school where it is less likely he will meet his former team?

Bullhockey. Give the kids some personal agency.

I am not as sure how I feel about being able to transfer and play immediately, but I am a players advocate and would certainly listen to those arguments.

JasonEvans
04-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Seems to be some speculation that Kentucky wants to get involved with Blackshear if he does not stay in the draft.

"Hey EJ Montgomery. You don't mind if we take another transfer to play ahead of you for your soph season too, do you?"

proelitedota
04-16-2019, 05:40 PM
Seems to be some speculation that Kentucky wants to get involved with Blackshear if he does not stay in the draft.

"Hey EJ Montgomery. You don't mind if we take another transfer to play ahead of you for your soph season too, do you?"

To their defense, EJ and Blackshear can both start at the 4 and 5.

ElliottHoo
04-16-2019, 06:45 PM
Bullhockey.

Sorry, this is OT, but this is 5th time (and in the 3rd unrelated place), I’ve seen bullhockey get used in the last week. Its just interesting.

Is someone’s “Fetch” actually happening?

Indoor66
04-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Sorry, this is OT, but this is 5th time (and in the 3rd unrelated place), I’ve seen bullhockey get used in the last week. Its just interesting.

I always preferred Col. Potter's horsehocky.

CDu
04-16-2019, 07:10 PM

I have long known the term “bullhonky” (same meaning) but this is my first sight of bullhockey.

ndkjr70
04-16-2019, 07:46 PM

That’s called college free agency, and it shouldn’t be allowed.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-16-2019, 09:28 PM

Well, why?

gofurman
04-16-2019, 11:37 PM
right, Blackshear is a great player.. but has anyone said he was even looking at UNC?? Why is this being brought up? Maybe it was in the article -admit I didn't read it.

ElliottHoo
04-17-2019, 12:30 AM
right, Blackshear is a great player.. but has anyone said he was even looking at UNC?? Why is this being brought up? Maybe it was in the article -admit I didn't read it.

Simply because it would be awful, pretty much the worst case scenario. On the bright side, when you assume a worst case scenario, you're never disappointed in whatever the outcome ends up actually being.

Indoor66
04-17-2019, 07:57 AM
Simply because it would be awful, pretty much the worst case scenario. On the bright side, when you assume a worst case scenario, you're never disappointed in whatever the outcome ends up actually being.

And you spend most of your life unhappy....

Troublemaker
04-17-2019, 08:49 AM

Because of Cam Johnson, another intraconference grad transfer.

Whether the fear is rational or not is yet to be determined, BUT the explanation of the fear existing is quite obvious.

camion
04-17-2019, 08:56 AM

Whether the fear is rational or not is yet to be determined, BUT the explanation of the fear existing is quite obvious.

Hypothetically, just hypothetically, if Blackshear were to wish to do a grad transfer to Duke do you think that the powers that be in the conference would be okay with it?

Asking for a friend. ;)

CDu
04-17-2019, 09:15 AM

And just to be clear (since it was my post that started any UNC discussion), I don't have any indication that Blackshear would end up at UNC. I was just saying that I REALLY don't want it to happen.

But UNC clearly has a need, and have a long history of emphasizing post play. Combine that with the Cam Johnson transfer (showing their willingness and ability to get an intraconference transfer), and it isn't an outlandish possibility.

Hypothetically, just hypothetically, if Blackshear were to wish to do a grad transfer to Duke do you think that the powers that be in the conference would be okay with it?

Asking for a friend. ;)

I would assume so, yes. That precedent has now been set. Of course, given the crowd in our frontcourt next year, I'd imagine that question remains purely hypothetical.

frb
04-17-2019, 09:49 AM
jordan brown is transferring from nevada. sit 1, play 3. former mcdonald's all american. 6'10".

would K be interested?

frb
04-17-2019, 09:52 AM
former duke target DJ Harvey is leaving notre dame. sit 1, play 2.

MulletMan
04-17-2019, 10:59 AM

This announcement came shortly after Howard announced his intentions to come back. Wonder if the Hausers (or parents) feel that they would be the featured players on another team with a less ball-dominant star? Certainly this might be an opportunity at Wisconsin, but not at MSU or UVa, IMHO.

907bluedevils
04-18-2019, 08:11 PM
Khavon Moore, former top 50 recruit, is transferring from Texas Tech

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26555845/source-texas-tech-moore-hits-transfer-portal

JasonEvans
04-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Khavon Moore, former top 50 recruit, is transferring from Texas Tech

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26555845/source-texas-tech-moore-hits-transfer-portal

Moore's announcement is kinda funky. He says he has to "undertake family obligations that require my immediate attention." I wonder if that means he will transfer back to a school in his home state of Georgia. It certainly sounds like he is setting himself up for a waiver from the NCAA to become immediately eligible. He was hurt this entire past season and took a redshirt so he would have 4 years left. He would be a big deal for Georgia or Ga Tech.

Meanwhile, Kentucky hits the grad transfer market and comes up with Bucknell's Nate Sestina (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26553503/kentucky-adds-bucknell-grad-transfer-sestina). He's a 6-9 forward who was 2nd team all-Patriot league a year ago. A dude with the size to bang inside but also a nice shooting stroke out to 3 point land. I think he projects as a backup PF, maybe 10 or so minutes per game, but if the Kentucky youngsters struggle, he could play a larger role.

-Jason "there is a good bit of chatter in Kentucky-land about Blackshear. They want him (who wouldn't?!!?)" Evans

superdave
04-19-2019, 10:34 AM
former duke target DJ Harvey is leaving notre dame. sit 1, play 2.

Coach Brey said Harvey wanted to reinvent himself elsewhere.

My read between the lines there is not positive.

superdave
04-19-2019, 10:35 AM
jordan brown is transferring from nevada. sit 1, play 3. former mcdonald's all american. 6'10".

would K be interested?

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/major-schools-reaching-out-to-nevadas-jordan-brown

This article mentions Kentucky, Arizona, Cal, Oregon, Baylor, Pitt, Ohio State, Saint Mary's and Louisiana-Lafayette so far.

bullettoothtony
04-19-2019, 10:47 AM
Are there transfers Cal isn't involved with?

That option's becoming more and more attractive to him since he's unable to out-recruit us I suppose.

DavidBenAkiva
04-19-2019, 01:38 PM
Some twitter news that Duke has been in contact with Jake Forrester, a 6'8" forward that played his freshman season at Indiana. Forrester was outside the top 100 as a freshman but appears to be an athletic if not highly skilled player. He is from the Philly area and was high school teammates with Cam Reddish. Here're high school clips of the young men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh94u5x6sSk

CDu
04-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Some twitter news that Duke has been in contact with Jake Forrester, a 6'8" forward that played his freshman season at Indiana. Forrester was outside the top 100 as a freshman but appears to be an athletic if not highly skilled player. He is from the Philly area and was high school teammates with Cam Reddish. Here're high school clips of the young men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh94u5x6sSk

You mean Duke might be finding Forrester?

I'll see myself out.

Troublemaker
04-19-2019, 02:24 PM
You mean Duke might be finding Forrester?

I'll see myself out.

Nice. You're the man now, dog (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YTMND#History).

JasonEvans
04-19-2019, 03:13 PM

I get that kids can develop, but Forrester barely played at IU last year and it was not like Indiana was some elite program overloaded with stud players. Seems strange for a kid who was end of the bench at Indiana to step up in quality. One would ordinarily expect a kid like that to step down, maybe to an AAC/A10/BEast kinda school, to find more opportunity.

Dukehk
04-19-2019, 03:20 PM
Are there transfers Cal isn't involved with?

That option's becoming more and more attractive to him since he's unable to out-recruit us I suppose.

Clearly worried that he is going to miss out on targets again like this year.

That and I think he knows alot of his roster is going to be gone again next year, with no real multi year players currently on the roster.

Mrduke21
04-19-2019, 07:03 PM
I live in Michigan now... Word on the street is Izzo's heavy in on Wojo's transfers. He was recruiting the younger brother out of high school.

fuse
04-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Seventh Woods leaving UNC?

OldPhiKap
04-25-2019, 03:48 PM

Per Jeff Goodman tweet, yup

RPS
04-25-2019, 03:49 PM
I don't understand this "argument" at all. Schools have almost all the chips already. Once a kid signs, he has no options about leaving that don't require sitting out a year except in unusual circumstances (like an ill parent) or a grad transfer. Coach lies about your role? Too bad. Coach leaves for another job? Too bad. Want to play more? Too bad. New coach hates you? Too bad. New coach totally changes role/scheme? Too bad. Homesick? Too bad. Hate the school/department/area? Too bad. Made a mistake? Too bad.

The school can dump a player every year for any or no reason and the player still has to sit out a year to play somewhere else.

Now you want to deny the ability of a player to go where he wants to grad school?! Cray-cray.

I don't see what's so wrong and so scary about player agency. The player has to convince the coach to play him every single day. There's nothing wrong with coaches having to live up to the same standard.

dchen09
04-25-2019, 04:28 PM
I don't understand this "argument" at all. Schools have almost all the chips already. Once a kid signs, he has no options about leaving that don't require sitting out a year except in unusual circumstances (like an ill parent) or a grad transfer. Coach lies about your role? Too bad. Coach leaves for another job? Too bad. Want to play more? Too bad. New coach hates you? Too bad. New coach totally changes role/scheme? Too bad. Homesick? Too bad. Hate the school/department/area? Too bad. Made a mistake? Too bad.

The school can dump a player every year for any or no reason and the player still has to sit out a year to play somewhere else.

Now you want to deny the ability of a player to go where he wants to grad school?! Cray-cray.

I don't see what's so wrong and so scary about player agency. The player has to convince the coach to play him every single day. There's nothing wrong with coaches having to live up to the same standard.

And on top of all that, no college prevents students from transferring for any reason. You don't like your roommate? you can transfer. You don't like the food? You can transfer. The university police is too hard on weed? You can transfer!!! If you want to make the argument that these are student athletes, let them live up to the student part.

Devil2
04-25-2019, 04:48 PM
And on top of all that, no college prevents students from transferring for any reason. You don't like your roommate? you can transfer. You don't like the food? You can transfer. The university police is too hard on weed? You can transfer!!! If you want to make the argument that these are student athletes, let them live up to the student part.

But regular students usually lose credits when they transfer and take six months to a year longer to graduate in

BD80
04-25-2019, 05:53 PM

Per Jeff Goodman tweet, yup

Is there an 8th on deck?

if not, it is a tragedy!

dchen09
04-25-2019, 05:57 PM
But regular students usually lose credits when they transfer and take six months to a year longer to graduate in

And most basketball players have to sit out a year and HAVE TO take longer to graduate. What's the difference?

I think there's a decent argument to be had that college basketball free agency improves parity. Yes alot of times you get a Reid Travis or Cameron Johnson going to a blue blood but at times you also get Michael Gbinije or Semi Ojeleye. Those guys unquestionably made less talented teams better.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-25-2019, 06:27 PM
And I still haven't heard an argument against in-conference transfers that doesn't start and end with Cameron Johnson.

Why is it so bad? Is there really a distinct advantage for Blackshear to transfer in conference and play against his old school once or twice when they have a new coach? I just don't see it. Let the kids go where they want.

907bluedevils
04-30-2019, 07:21 PM
Former top 100 recruits are entering the transfer portal from Oregon, Victor Bailey and Miles Norris.

https://www.addictedtoquack.com/2019/4/29/18523302/miles-norris-and-victor-bailey-jr-to-transfer-from-oregon

907bluedevils
05-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Former Duke player Derryck Thornton is grad transferring from USC
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26717141/sources-thornton-leave-usc-grad-transfer

Chicken Little
05-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Paging Boogie Ellis. Open PG spot on the west coast.

JasonEvans
05-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Former Duke player Derryck Thornton is grad transferring from USC
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26717141/sources-thornton-leave-usc-grad-transfer

I want no jokes about his trash talking uncle and the family belief that he would be quickly in the NBA. Every kid runs their own race and (from what I understand) Derryck did not leave Duke on bad terms.

MartyClark
05-10-2019, 02:35 PM
I want no jokes about his trash talking uncle and the family belief that he would be quickly in the NBA. Every kid runs their own race and (from what I understand) Derryck did not leave Duke on bad terms.

No jokes from me. I watched USC a bit the past two years since they are a PAC 12 team and I follow Colorado. Derryck wasn't bad but he never looked significantly better than he did at Duke.

I liked the kid and was sorry he left Duke. As I recall, his uncle or someone thought that Duke should feature him more in the offense - maybe more high ball screens but I can't specifically remember. I don't think he is ever going to be the offensive player that some thought but he sure was a good defender, played hard and seemed to be a good teammate.

Some kids peak early, maybe his skills won't catch up to his quickness and athletic ability. As long as he doesn't go to UNC, and that's unlikely, I wish the kid well.

sagegrouse
05-10-2019, 02:40 PM
No jokes from me. I watched USC a bit the past two years since they are a PAC 12 team and I follow Colorado. Derryck wasn't bad but he never looked significantly better than he did at Duke.

I liked the kid and was sorry he left Duke. As I recall, his uncle or someone thought that Duke should feature him more in the offense - maybe more high ball screens but I can't specifically remember. I don't think he is ever going to be the offensive player that some thought but he sure was a good defender, played hard and seemed to be a good teammate.

Some kids peak early, maybe his skills won't catch up to his quickness and athletic ability. As long as he doesn't go to UNC, and that's unlikely, I wish the kid well.

One story about Drryck that I read somewhere. He was very unhappy about leaving Duke, as he told friends who were taking him to the airport, but he had no choice.

He was an absolute jet on the floor -- I can't recall anyone else being as fast dribbling up the court.

Then the block against Joel Berry II to save the game at UNC in 2016, a big upset for #20 Duke against #5 UNC.

thedukelamere
05-10-2019, 02:42 PM

And most of us have some very fond memories of the young man.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SpitefulGratefulCanvasback-size_restricted.gif

BD80
05-10-2019, 02:50 PM
… Derryck did not leave Duke on bad terms.

So you're saying there's a chance ...

ChillinDuke
05-10-2019, 03:20 PM
One story about Drryck that I read somewhere. He was very unhappy about leaving Duke, as he told friends who were taking him to the airport, but he had no choice.

He was an absolute jet on the floor -- I can't recall anyone else being as fast dribbling up the court.

Then the block against Joel Berry II to save the game at UNC in 2016, a big upset for #20 Duke against #5 UNC.

Perhaps the saddest part (for me, as an avid fan) is that Derryck struck me (and strikes me) as the type of player that would have had a great arc at Duke and ended up as a solid upperclassman. If not exceptional, I think he would have been a serviceable, in-the-rotation leader on the court. The type of player that many of us really grow fond of over 3 or 4 years. And the type of player that typically gets a look in the NBA, at least with a shot in the G-League, to make a name for himself, given a long, stable, trusted history in the Duke program and a (hopefully) positive career arc both in stats and in tangible and intangible skills.

It's disappointing but understandable that this past year at USC appears that he has only now surpassed the counting stats of his freshman year at Duke. He started 27 of the 32 games in which he played, averaging 7.7 pts, 4.3 asts, 2.3 rebs, and 1.2 stls per game in ~28 minutes. Certainly not the stuff of legend, but reasonably solid nonetheless. And while I didn't really watch any USC games, at least objectively his storyline now appears to be one of a journeyman, playing 4 seasons across 5 college years at 3 different schools, none of which (to this point) have been particularly eye opening.

I wish him nothing but the best. But Derryck does appear to be a bit of a cautionary tale, and that's not meant to be a knock on him as much as an observation about how his career seems to have gone thus far.

- Chillin

JayZee
05-10-2019, 05:09 PM
While it won't happen, if he came back to Duke, I'm sure he'd be received by the Crazies like a prodigal son.

Nugget
05-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Perhaps the saddest part (for me, as an avid fan) is that Derryck struck me (and strikes me) as the type of player that would have had a great arc at Duke and ended up as a solid upperclassman. If not exceptional, I think he would have been a serviceable, in-the-rotation leader on the court. The type of player that many of us really grow fond of over 3 or 4 years. And the type of player that typically gets a look in the NBA, at least with a shot in the G-League, to make a name for himself, given a long, stable, trusted history in the Duke program and a (hopefully) positive career arc both in stats and in tangible and intangible skills.

It's disappointing but understandable that this past year at USC appears that he has only now surpassed the counting stats of his freshman year at Duke. He started 27 of the 32 games in which he played, averaging 7.7 pts, 4.3 asts, 2.3 rebs, and 1.2 stls per game in ~28 minutes. Certainly not the stuff of legend, but reasonably solid nonetheless. And while I didn't really watch any USC games, at least objectively his storyline now appears to be one of a journeyman, playing 4 seasons across 5 college years at 3 different schools, none of which (to this point) have been particularly eye opening.

I wish him nothing but the best. But Derryck does appear to be a bit of a cautionary tale, and that's not meant to be a knock on him as much as an observation about how his career seems to have gone thus far.

- Chillin

Yes, it's disappointing Derryck didn't stick it out at Duke - I think it would have worked out better for him.

But, another transfer for him indicates to me that there must still be a significant mismatch between the player he is and the player his Uncle/family think he is, because I really don't see how he could expect to have a much better opportunity next year than was in front of him at USC. As you note, he played 28 mpg last year as basically USC's starting PG and he's slated to be that this year again, too (Jonah Mathews is much more of a 2 and their incoming Grad transfers Daniel Utomi and Quinton Adlesh also appear to be 2s rather than PGs). USC does have an incoming freshman PG Kyle Sturdivant, but the 247 Sports composite has him as a 3* and the #139 recruit in the class. If Thornton can't beat out a 3* freshman for PG at USC, it's hard to see how he thinks he will find a better opportunity someplace else.

miramar
05-10-2019, 10:20 PM
Yes, it's disappointing Derryck didn't stick it out at Duke - I think it would have worked out better for him.

But, another transfer for him indicates to me that there must still be a significant mismatch between the player he is and the player his Uncle/family think he is, because I really don't see how he could expect to have a much better opportunity next year than was in front of him at USC. As you note, he played 28 mpg last year as basically USC's starting PG and he's slated to be that this year again, too (Jonah Mathews is much more of a 2 and their incoming Grad transfers Daniel Utomi and Quinton Adlesh also appear to be 2s rather than PGs). USC does have an incoming freshman PG Kyle Sturdivant, but the 247 Sports composite has him as a 3* and the #139 recruit in the class. If Thornton can't beat out a 3* freshman for PG at USC, it's hard to see how he thinks he will find a better opportunity someplace else.

LA Times: "Thornton struggled with inconsistency and decision-making as a floor leader, and by the end of the season it appeared that Elijah Weaver was gaining momentum as the program's future point guard."

It's a real shame that he listened to Uncle Trainer. He would have progressed a lot more at Duke, and all we needed the last two years was another basket in the Elite Eight. He would have made Duke better, so if he had stayed that would have been a real win-win for him and for the team.

Furniture
05-10-2019, 11:30 PM
No question for me the kid was better off at Duke....no question...

SoCalDukeFan
05-11-2019, 12:39 AM
I think USC wanted Thornton to be a pass first PG and for some reason he thought he should shoot more.

Not at all surprised to see him leave.

I think if he would have stayed at Duke he would have wanted a bigger role than Coach K wanted him to have.

SoCal

LasVegas
05-11-2019, 12:55 AM
Interesting. Looking at his season by season stats, it appears his best year was his freshman year at duke.....

MCFinARL
05-11-2019, 07:04 AM
I think USC wanted Thornton to be a pass first PG and for some reason he thought he should shoot more.

Not at all surprised to see him leave.

I think if he would have stayed at Duke he would have wanted a bigger role than Coach K wanted him to have.

SoCal

Even assuming you are right that he would have wanted a bigger role, is that really important? I am sure there have been a lot of Duke players over the years that have wanted a bigger role than Coach K gave them. The real issue is how they responded, and how Derryck would have responded, to the role they got. In Derryck’s case, we know some family members did not respond all that well. But it’s harder to know how Derryck would have responded given more time at Duke to grow and learn.

sagegrouse
05-13-2019, 12:00 PM
Even assuming you are right that he would have wanted a bigger role, is that really important? I am sure there have been a lot of Duke players over the years that have wanted a bigger role than Coach K gave them. The real issue is how they responded, and how Derryck would have responded, to the role they got. In Derryck’s case, we know some family members did not respond all that well. But it’s harder to know how Derryck would have responded given more time at Duke to grow and learn.

The quotes from his family were surreal. The uncle, as I remember, was complaining about the number of plays Duke ran for Derryck in comparison to the number Providence ran for some senior All-American.

Stuff happens -- sorry for Derryck.

brevity
05-15-2019, 08:32 PM
Chris Beard’s graduate transfer pipeline continues. (https://thespun.com/college-hoops/virginia-tech-graduate-transfer-chris-clarke-announces-commitment)

Chris Clarke, a graduate transfer from Virginia Tech, has committed to Texas Tech.

The 6-foot-6 guard averaged 8.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game during the 2018-19 season.

Nugget
05-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Chris Beard’s graduate transfer pipeline continues. (https://thespun.com/college-hoops/virginia-tech-graduate-transfer-chris-clarke-announces-commitment)

He should be a good pickup for Texas Tech -- Clarke played hard/aggressively, so should fit right into Beard's defensive scheme.

Steven43
05-15-2019, 08:42 PM
As long as he doesn't go to UNC, and that's unlikely, I wish the kid well.
You’re okay with him potentially strengthening one of our other rivals like UVA, Florida State, NC State, Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame, etc.?? Personally, I want Duke to beat those schools almost as badly as UNC.

English
05-15-2019, 08:57 PM
You’re okay with him potentially strengthening one of our other rivals like UVA, Florida State, NC State, Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame, etc.?? Personally, I want Duke to beat those schools almost as badly as UNC.

Wait, what’s a “rival” again?

Steven43
05-15-2019, 09:07 PM
Even assuming you are right that he would have wanted a bigger role, is that really important? I am sure there have been a lot of Duke players over the years that have wanted a bigger role than Coach K gave them. The real issue is how they responded, and how Derryck would have responded.
Thornton did respond, by leaving Duke. Am I missing something?

Steven43
05-15-2019, 09:12 PM
Wait, what’s a “rival” again?

Umm....a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

dukejim1
05-15-2019, 09:42 PM
Umm...a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

That definition leaves out the part about the closer the rival the more clarity around who is THE rival.

MChambers
05-26-2019, 08:29 PM
Sam, who has one year of eligibility left, heads to UVa, while Joey, who has two years left, goes to MSU.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-hauser-brothers-sam-joey-162451451.html

lotusland
05-27-2019, 08:22 PM
:confused:

Doesn’t appear the Thornton will return to the ACC unless you count BC:). The Zags have a visit scheduled and
He's already gone on a visit to Boston College and is set to come to Spokane. Possible future visits to St. John's, Auburn and Texas Tech are also on the table as well for the graduate transfer. All have a need for a point guard,

https://apple.news/AIFmge8WCN-SX-z4uLzGQXg

Acymetric
05-28-2019, 09:26 AM
Two transfers, probably low impact for the basketball landscape but high impact for their destination!

Rising junior Jerald Gillens-Butler is transferring from Butler to Elon. He'll sit out this coming season and then have two years of eligibility remaining. Was a 3/4-star wing prospect with an offer from Virginia Tech (among some other mid-majors). Does not appear he could crack the rotation at Butler.

https://elonphoenix.com/news/2019/5/22/schrage-makes-gillens-butler-the-final-addition-to-2019-mens-basketball-recruiting-class.aspx

Another wing, Marcus Sheffield, is leaving Stanfard to join Elon as a grad transfer, eligible immediately with one season remaining. Served a reserve role for Stanford with a few breakout games (35 points against ASU, 18 points against UCLA). Had a littany of P5 and high-mid-major offers.

https://elonphoenix.com/news/2019/5/20/sheffield-becomes-schrages-fourth-addition-2019-elon-mens-basketball-recruiting-class.aspx

907bluedevils
05-28-2019, 05:54 PM
One Hauser going to MSU and the other going to UVA.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26840413/sam-virginia-joey-msu

devildeac
05-28-2019, 05:59 PM
One Hauser going to MSU and the other going to UVA.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26840413/sam-virginia-joey-msu

Well, kinda close to Canada with MSU so will that make one a Hoser and the other a Hooser now? Imagine if there was a 3rd brother and he transferred to IU.

(I'm leaving now :o.)

SlapTheFloor
05-30-2019, 03:02 PM
Looks like Calipari's son is transferring from UK. That should be awkward.

https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1134097248768446465

CameronBornAndBred
05-30-2019, 03:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSIHbt8tGQA

bullettoothtony
05-30-2019, 05:52 PM

Please tell me that's not happening to make room for Blackshear.

brlftz
05-30-2019, 07:46 PM
Please tell me that's not happening to make room for Blackshear.

He wasn’t on scholarship, so nope, not related.

arnie
05-30-2019, 08:38 PM

Would be great theatre if he walks on at Duke😏

RPS
05-31-2019, 02:51 PM
Would be great theatre if he walks on at Duke😏
Assuming we had the room, I'd give him a scholarship just for trolling purposes.

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-31-2019, 03:02 PM
Assuming we had the room, I'd give him a scholarship just for trolling purposes.
Memphis might be even better.

Pghdukie
06-02-2019, 09:07 PM
Quinerly, from Nova, headed to Alabama.

907bluedevils
06-07-2019, 01:30 PM
Former McD's AA Jordan Brown pick Arizona

lotusland
06-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Seventh to the Cocks according to my Gamecock buddies

lotusland
06-07-2019, 03:26 PM
Seventh to the Cocks according to my Gamecock buddies

Surprisingly as a walk-on but maybe there’s a scholarship available after the mandatory red-shirt year.
https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/seventh-woods-is-headed-home-south-carolina-gamecocks?fbclid=IwAR2IEzodHlNGwCQuEV7VHbm7qugQYwe KC0VPEH-DvNRCg30jN5CBjxb_Sgs

Bob Green
06-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Pitt lands Eric Hamilton (6'9" 250):

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2019/06/06/pitt-panthers-basketball-eric-hamilton-transfer-recruiting-unc-greensboro-wichita-state-jeff-capel/stories/201906060130

As a junior last season for a UNC Greensboro team that finished 29-7, the 250-pound Hamilton appeared in all 36 games, starting in six of them. In 16.3 minutes per game, the Atlanta native averaged 6.1 points and 4.4 rebounds per game while shooting 59.1 percent from the field (a percentage that didn’t include any 3-point attempts).

Hamilton previously played two seasons at Wichita State.

roywhite
06-07-2019, 04:25 PM
Pitt lands Eric Hamilton (6'9" 250):

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2019/06/06/pitt-panthers-basketball-eric-hamilton-transfer-recruiting-unc-greensboro-wichita-state-jeff-capel/stories/201906060130

Hamilton previously played two seasons at Wichita State.

Just another Atlanta native making the Wichita to Greensboro to Pittsburgh cycle. This new era provides for some interesting tours of duty.

burnspbesq
06-13-2019, 05:49 PM
Pat Spencer, who won the Tewaaraton Award as the outstanding player in college lacrosse this year, will play basketball for Chris Collins at Northwestern next year. He was first-team All-State in basketball in Maryland as a high school senior.

UrinalCake
06-13-2019, 08:22 PM
Kerry Blackshear is still far and away the top grad transfer left on the board. He has planned a visit to Kentucky and now he is reportedly considering Memphis. Man, I don’t want to see him go to either of those teams. Florida, Arkansas and TN are the other schools he has visited, really hope it’s one of those.

devildeac
06-13-2019, 09:04 PM
Kerry Blackshear is still far and away the top grad transfer left on the board. He has planned a visit to Kentucky and now he is reportedly considering Memphis. Man, I don’t want to see him go to either of those teams. Florida, Arkansas and TN are the other schools he has visited, really hope it’s one of those.

ABc.

BD80
06-13-2019, 10:05 PM
Pat Spencer, who won the Tewaaraton Award as the outstanding player in college lacrosse this year, will play basketball for Chris Collins at Northwestern next year. He was first-team All-State in basketball in Maryland as a high school senior.

Think he can handle the physicality of Bigwhatever basketball?

burnspbesq
06-14-2019, 12:20 AM
Think he can handle the physicality of Bigwhatever basketball?

He’s 6’3”, 210, and no one will be hitting him with six feet of aluminum - titanium alloy? He’ll be fine.

JasonEvans
06-17-2019, 12:24 PM
Derryk Thornton will get a chance to play in Cameron again...

He is transferring to BC.

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2019/6/17/18662913/report-derryck-thornton-chooses-boston-college

-Jason "I really, really hope the Crazies treat him with respect" Evans

Truth&Justise
06-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Derryk Thornton will get a chance to play in Cameron again...

He is transferring to BC.

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2019/6/17/18662913/report-derryck-thornton-chooses-boston-college

What a long, strange trip it's been.

budwom
06-17-2019, 12:31 PM
What a long, strange trip it's been.

He's made the transfer All Mileage team with that one...

UrinalCake
06-17-2019, 01:28 PM
Surprised to see him back on the east coast, I thought homesickness might have been one of the contributing factors to him leaving Duke. Of course, that was three years ago. Best of luck to him.

CameronBornAndBred
06-17-2019, 01:38 PM

Why wouldn't they? Of course most of the Crazies at the game won't even have been in school when he was a freshmen...but if they do anything, that means that they consider him worthy of their attention. That's respect.

miramar
06-17-2019, 03:16 PM
Well, I never expected to see him again in the ACC, and much less playing for a team that went 5-13 in the conference last year. That's way better than the 0-18 from three years ago, but that's obviously not what he was expecting when he left Duke.

I just hope that he has a good season and a positive experience at BC, but I feel sorry for him because it certainly appears that he was swayed to leave Duke by family pressures. Unfortunately, guys like Thornton and Chris Burgess were led astray, and it's a real shame all around. The would have been better off staying at Duke, and their teams would have been better off having them.

jv001
06-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Well, I never expected to see him again in the ACC, and much less playing for a team that went 5-13 in the conference last year. That's way better than the 0-18 from three years ago, but that's obviously not what he was expecting when he left Duke.

I just hope that he has a good season and a positive experience at BC, but I feel sorry for him because it certainly appears that he was swayed to leave Duke by family pressures. Unfortunately, guys like Thornton and Chris Burgess were led astray, and it's a real shame all around. The would have been better off staying at Duke, and their teams would have been better off having them.

I wouldn't mind seeing him have a good season. However I hope he stinks when he plays the Blue Devils. Seemed like a good kid that was led astray by family members. GoDuke!

UrinalCake
06-20-2019, 11:47 AM
No official announcement but there are multiple Twitter reports that Kerry Blackshear has committed to Kentucky after his visit there. If true, would likely vault them to preseason #1.

brevity
06-20-2019, 12:00 PM
No official announcement but there are multiple Twitter reports that Kerry Blackshear has committed to Kentucky after his visit there. If true, would likely vault them to preseason #1.

No official announcement but there are multiple rumors that John Calipari said, “I’d trade my own son for a chance to bring in Kerry Blackshear.”

rsvman
06-20-2019, 02:02 PM
This is a tangent to a tangent, but I just noticed that the score of the UNC game in which Thornton blocked the last shot was exactly the same as the score from our last game, in the semifinal of the ACC tournament. 74-73. Love it.

NSDukeFan
06-20-2019, 02:14 PM
No official announcement but there are multiple rumors that John Calipari said, “I’d trade my own son for a chance to bring in Kerry Blackshear.”

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on brevity again.

CameronBornAndBred
06-20-2019, 03:16 PM

I'm going to bed. The internet won't get any better today.

Stray Gator
06-26-2019, 11:01 PM
Blackshear joins the Gators.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27063041/florida-lands-top-graduate-transfer-blackshear

Tazman10
06-27-2019, 12:20 AM

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27063041/florida-lands-top-graduate-transfer-blackshear

Wow, Cal has to be crying some place... I hope Florida and Tennessee make him regret not going to UCLA. LOL, Kentucky fans have to start thinking this guy is not close to what they are paying him.

scottdude8
06-27-2019, 10:38 AM

I saw this as a notification on my phone last night and my jaw dropped a bit. I thought for sure Blackshear was going to Kentucky to give them the potential pre-season No. 1 team. Going to the Gators makes them a solid Top 25 team, but not much more... but if Blackshear wanted to be "the guy" then this decision makes a bit more sense.

From a Duke perspective, Kentucky is obviously the much bigger threat to our aspirations this season, so I count this as a positive.

devildeac
06-27-2019, 10:49 AM
Wow, Cal has to be crying some place... I hope Florida and Tennessee make him regret not going to UCLA. LOL, Kentucky fans have to start thinking this guy is not close to what they are paying him.

As long as he shoots more FT than the entire UK team whenever they play each other next year...

:mad:

English
06-27-2019, 11:25 AM

Gotta admit, I was pretty amped when this news broke yesterday (credit to Goodman, who broke it on the Twitter machine). Of all KBJ's suitors, I actually dislike/appreciate the Gators most, thanks to the Mike White-Duke connection and our relatively benign history with UF (as far as I can recall). Plus, as has been said, it kept a very useful player off the UK roster.

I'm actually causally-but-actively hoping that Mike White succeeds at UF, in large measure because I respect his father, and if it comes at the expense of the wildcats' conference accolades, all the better.

CDu
06-27-2019, 11:30 AM
Gotta admit, I was pretty amped when this news broke yesterday (credit to Goodman, who broke it on the Twitter machine). Of all KBJ's suitors, I actually dislike/appreciate the Gators most, thanks to the Mike White-Duke connection and our relatively benign history with UF (as far as I can recall). Plus, as has been said, it kept a very useful player off the UK roster.

Well, we did have a heartbreaking end to Chris Carrawell's basketball career at the hands of the Gators. But for the most part we've just not faced them much.

wsb3
06-27-2019, 11:43 AM
Well, we did have a heartbreaking end to Chris Carrawell's basketball career at the hands of the Gators. But for the most part we've just not faced them much.

But we had this..

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1994-04-02-duke.html

Natty_B
06-27-2019, 12:19 PM

Brutal loss. The year before the 98-99 team annihilated the Gators in an early season home game - a sign that team was onto something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5S5Cyk4hc

907bluedevils
06-28-2019, 08:33 PM
Quentin Grimes (former top 10 recruit and Kansas player) transferring to Houston
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27070041/houston-lands-top-transfer-grimes-kansas