PDA

View Full Version : Another Award For Zion

plimnko
04-05-2019, 01:07 PM
https://abc11.com/sports/dukes-zion-williamson-wins-ap-player-of-the-year-in-landslide-vote/5235402/

CameronBornAndBred
04-05-2019, 01:26 PM
https://abc11.com/sports/dukes-zion-williamson-wins-ap-player-of-the-year-in-landslide-vote/5235402/

I read that earlier, it has tons of great Zion quotes.
This one isn't a quote, but it's good to read.

Williamson said there's "obviously a high possibility" he enters the draft but he's not ready to make anything official as he enjoys being a college student a little longer with plans on taking summer classes toward a degree.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-05-2019, 02:35 PM
I read that earlier, it has tons of great Zion quotes.
This one isn't a quote, but it's good to read.

I figure 50/50 he goes pro.

/s

CameronBornAndBred
04-05-2019, 02:44 PM
I figure 50/50 he goes pro.

/s

Kyrie hung around and took summer classes. Did he keep up with those and make progress towards his degree? I know players say they are going to, and in his case, at least started on that path, but with their schedules it has to be hard to fit in. Plus, making millions hand over fist kind of dulls the academic luster.

wk2109
04-05-2019, 03:04 PM
Kyrie hung around and took summer classes. Did he keep up with those and make progress towards his degree? I know players say they are going to, and in his case, at least started on that path, but with their schedules it has to be hard to fit in. Plus, making millions hand over fist kind of dulls the academic luster.

There was a lockout in 2011 that allowed Kyrie to take summer classes. I wonder how Zion would be able to take summer classes with draft prep and summer league obligations.

According to this Chronicle article from summer 2016 (https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/07/nba-star-kyrie-irving-changes-course-puts-duke-degree-on-hold-despite-previous-commitment), Kyrie "said he hopes to finish his NBA career before worrying about his degree."

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-05-2019, 03:13 PM

I was joking, obviously. On a serious note, Zion seems to be a really good kid who says all the right things. Loveable, even.

CameronBornAndBred
04-05-2019, 03:28 PM
There was a lockout in 2011 that allowed Kyrie to take summer classes. I wonder how Zion would be able to take summer classes with draft prep and summer league obligations.

According to this Chronicle article from summer 2016 (https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/07/nba-star-kyrie-irving-changes-course-puts-duke-degree-on-hold-despite-previous-commitment), Kyrie "said he hopes to finish his NBA career before worrying about his degree."

Ooh, good memory. I'm not sure Z would play in the summer league. Hell, with everyone shouting that he shouldn't finish out the year after the shoe show, I have a hard time believing that a team is going to risk him before opening day.

wk2109
04-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Ooh, good memory. I'm not sure Z would play in the summer league. Hell, with everyone shouting that he shouldn't finish out the year after the shoe show, I have a hard time believing that a team is going to risk him before opening day.

Yea? I'd be surprised if he didn't play. Has there ever been a healthy #1 pick who didn't play summer league?

I think the shouting about him not finishing the college season had more to do with risking his earning potential than it did risking his actual health. By summer league, he'll presumably have his $100m shoe deal and rookie deal signed.

gep
04-06-2019, 12:25 AM
Summer league gets him acclimated to the speed and strength of the NBA. Pre-season gets him acclimated with his team. He can't just shut it down...

WHOneedsSOX
04-06-2019, 01:16 AM
Summer league gets him acclimated to the speed and strength of the NBA. Pre-season gets him acclimated with his team. He can't just shut it down...

He'll probably play part of summer league. Summer league is against other rookies/non drafted players/players playing for a spot/not the great 2nd year players. I doubt he'll play the entire summer league.

Clipsfan
04-06-2019, 11:09 AM
Yea? I'd be surprised if he didn't play. Has there ever been a healthy #1 pick who didn't play summer league?

I think the shouting about him not finishing the college season had more to do with risking his earning potential than it did risking his actual health. By summer league, he'll presumably have his $100m shoe deal and rookie deal signed.

I took Cameron's post as sarcasm, poking fun at everyone saying he shouldn't play college ball any more. Whether intended, I found it funny.