PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode 157: An Untimely End to the Season

Dev11
04-05-2019, 08:52 AM
It's unfortunate that we have to do this (nearly) every season, but alas, the show must go on.

Links:

iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Google Play (https://goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ikxgkr6wboxnehrbaoqd47vw4gq?t%3DDuke_Basketball_Re port)
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Timestamps:

0:00 We’re depressed…
3:10 Thanks to the sponsors, Byrd Campbell and GTHCGTH.com (use promo code “DBR” to get 20% off your order)
4:25 And here begins the lengthy recap of the Michigan State game
5:25 Sam starts with how Duke gave up the big first-half lead
8:40 The refs, they sucked
9:55 Jason is obsessed with turnovers… and has the stats to prove it
12:15 Donald laments Duke’s lack of fastbreak points… and also talks about the rebounding
13:55 Let’s talk about the end game and what happened in Duke’s final few possessions.
19:20 Jason says Duke just could not find the complimentary players this season and then he just cannot avoid talking about the refs some more
23:20 Sam talks about how poorly Duke adjusted to the style of the game and the officiating
25:45 Don’t forget to head to GTHCGTH.com for all your Carolina hating gear… and Byrd Campbell has a message where they reflect on the season
27:30 Recapping the results of the stats prediction game… Jason had the worst pick but Jason also won the game
41:55 The DBR Stats Contest Trophy… you know you want to sponsor it! Email DBRPodcast@gmail.com
44:15 Looking ahead to the next season… Jason went to the McDonald’s All-American Game practices and media day!
45:40 Jason interviews future Dukie Vernon Carey
48:05 Jason interviews future Dukie Wendell Moore
51:15 Jason interviews Duke recruit Matthew Hurt
53:00 Jason interviews Duke recruit Trendon Watford
55:00 Jason talks about what he saw at the Mickie Dee practices
59:30 Sam and Donald react to the interviews with the recruits
1:03:50 Jason reflects on last year’s McD game and how much it told us about how those guys would do in college (spoiler alert: not much!)
1:05:00 Parting shots – we will be talking about the world of One and Done hoops on a future podcast
1:06:05 Parting shots – Sam on what this season was like being back on campus
1:08:05 Parting shots – Donald on how Duke turned DC dark blue this past weekend
1:11:35 Parting shots – Jason reflects on the decade of the 2010s… and says Duke was the team of the decade
1:21:10 Good bye, email us at DBRPodcast@gmail.com, and the Duke band plays us out

brevity
04-05-2019, 09:47 AM
1:11:35 Parting shots – Jason reflects on the decade of the 2010s… and says Duke was the team of the decade

I wasn’t sure about this claim, but this NCAA.com article (https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-04/best-college-basketball-team-every-decade) from the beginning of the season agrees with you. (Note that, at the time, Kansas and Kentucky have won more games and have higher winning percentages this decade.)

JasonEvans
04-05-2019, 10:31 AM
I wasn’t sure about this claim, but this NCAA.com article (https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-04/best-college-basketball-team-every-decade) from the beginning of the season agrees with you. (Note that, at the time, Kansas and Kentucky have won more games and have higher winning percentages this decade.)

I think Kentucky has a pretty solid argument but Duke has 2 nattys and they only have 1 and they had that one season in the NIT while Duke was in the tourney every year. I'm fairly sure Duke was ranked in the top 10 in the weekly polls in close to 95% of the polls during this decade. I don't think any other program is really close to that feat (maybe Kansas, but they have zero nattys and just one final four... as a result they are not even in the conversation in my opinion).

Saratoga2
04-05-2019, 07:31 PM
We are all disappointed to have been beaten by Michigan State. Your pod cast aimed some of your frustration on the way the game was called, in that our strengths were minimized by allowing a very physical game to go on without normal calls for fouls. I don't deny the game was very physical and it hurt our game, but we also could have lost the two previous games and those were not called by the same referees.

I got it that you implied that the coaching and game plan didn't adjust to the reality of the way the game was being called. We stuck primarily to the Zion and RJ show despite the large number of turnovers which were occurring when we attempted to pass the ball inside. Perhaps the coaches didn't have confidence that our other options could score efficiently. We really didn't have the kind of guard play which seems to be needed to win high level NCAA games. We never tried to use Cam to do more or Tre for that matter.

I don't know who from this years team will stay for next season, but there is a real chance that we will not have effective scoring guards next season. I would have made that a recruiting priority and perhaps the coaches did, but without results. Too late for that now. We definitely won't have Zion and RJ next season to cover up our deficiencies so it will be interesting to see how the team evolves.

UrinalCake
04-05-2019, 08:53 PM
The refs were definitely letting things go, but they weren't favoring one side over the other. We just didn't adjust as Sam said, perhaps because we didn't have the personnel to play more physically ourselves. Watching Winston push off repeatedly was doubly frustrating because our guards have been called for those plays so many times over the past several weeks. But had we recognized this sooner then our guards should have responded by doing the same to their own defenders. I'll also say that I thought Winston was a lot more subtle about how he pushed off. He shielded his arm with his body and made it harder for the refs to see. Conversely, when RJ pushes off he looks like the swat team breaking down someone's door, which makes it a more obvious call for the refs to make. Just one of the subtleties that comes from experience, it's still equally a foul but the type of play that a more experienced guard is better prepared to make.

Throwing the ball away on the opening possession was indicative of our youth as well. Another example was the last play of the half when Reddish ran down the court and didn't receive the inbounds pass. That could have turned into even more of a disaster had MSU hit the three and opened a 7 point lead. Back in July when we were making predictions for this team, the biggest question mark was how a team of four freshmen and a handful of older guys with basically zero experience would handle high pressure situations. We did remarkably well for the whole season, but in this game that inexperience came out.

I do agree that the coaching staff deserves some accountability for our failure to make adjustments, not just in this game but the whole season. K installed the 5 out system before the Canada trip, and even though it quickly became glaringly obvious that our team couldn't shoot from three we never wavered from it, putting up more threes than almost any other team in Duke history.

Saratoga2
04-06-2019, 08:23 AM
The refs were definitely letting things go, but they weren't favoring one side over the other. We just didn't adjust as Sam said, perhaps because we didn't have the personnel to play more physically ourselves. Watching Winston push off repeatedly was doubly frustrating because our guards have been called for those plays so many times over the past several weeks. But had we recognized this sooner then our guards should have responded by doing the same to their own defenders. I'll also say that I thought Winston was a lot more subtle about how he pushed off. He shielded his arm with his body and made it harder for the refs to see. Conversely, when RJ pushes off he looks like the swat team breaking down someone's door, which makes it a more obvious call for the refs to make. Just one of the subtleties that comes from experience, it's still equally a foul but the type of play that a more experienced guard is better prepared to make.

Throwing the ball away on the opening possession was indicative of our youth as well. Another example was the last play of the half when Reddish ran down the court and didn't receive the inbounds pass. That could have turned into even more of a disaster had MSU hit the three and opened a 7 point lead. Back in July when we were making predictions for this team, the biggest question mark was how a team of four freshmen and a handful of older guys with basically zero experience would handle high pressure situations. We did remarkably well for the whole season, but in this game that inexperience came out.

I do agree that the coaching staff deserves some accountability for our failure to make adjustments, not just in this game but the whole season. K installed the 5 out system before the Canada trip, and even though it quickly became glaringly obvious that our team couldn't shoot from three we never wavered from it, putting up more threes than almost any other team in Duke history.

By this point in the season, our main players all had a year of experience so even that line of thinking is questionable. Since I wouldn't say that our coaches were incompetent and couldn't see what was going on, I have to feel that they didn't trust putting the offense into anyone elses hands than RJ and Zion's as being the most likely chance of winning.

timmy c
04-07-2019, 10:44 AM
Thank you gentlemen for another great podcast. It's been a very exciting season, even if it didn't end the way we all hoped. Hearing your season wrap up and interviews with a couple future players helped to pivot into the offseason.