PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 Duke Plays Ever

kako
04-03-2019, 04:01 PM
This. Zion was far and away the most exciting to watch, made the most amazing plays, made the most "top10's," did the most unbelievable things. Ever. If you compiled a video of the most amazing Duke plays ever, you'd put "the shot" at number 1, but Zion might have 5 of the next 10.

Not arguing with that Zion was not must-see. He was. But I started thinking about what was said about Top 10 Duke plays.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it's hard to concretely define "top". I quickly drew up a list of memorable plays in my Duke lifetime. I came up with more than 10, which is why this is a Top 20. I've probably forget a few, but these came to mind in about 5 minutes of thinking:

(Note - these are in no particular order of importance, just in the order of what came to my mind):

1. Laettner's Shot 2 vs. UK ‘92 (buzzer beater win - no time left)
2. Laettner's Shot 1 vs. UConn ‘90 (buzzer beater win - no time left)
3. Hurley's 3 vs UNLV ‘91
4. PHenderson's dunk over Mourning vs. Georgetown ‘89
5. Zion's shot, board and put back vs. Carolina ‘18
6. Dockery's prayer vs. VaTech ‘06 (buzzer beater win - no time left)
7. Rivers' shot vs. UNC ‘12 (buzzer beater win - no time left)
8. Banks' shot vs. UNC ‘81 (buzzer beater - no time left, went to OT)
9. GHill's alley oop dunk vs. Kansas ‘91
10. Zion's block on Hunter vs. UVA ‘18
11. Duhon's coast-to-coast vs. UNC ‘04
12. Reddish's 3 vs FSU ‘18
13. Dawkins reverse slam vs. Navy ‘86
14. Capel's prayer vs. UNC '95 (buzzer beater - no time left, went to 2nd OT)
15. James' put back vs. Maryland '01 (tourney)
16. Jones' 3 vs. Wisconsin '15
17. GHenderson's coast-to-coast vs. Belmont '08
18. GHenderson's bloodies Tyler Hansbrough's face vs. UNC '07 (I can be talked out of this being a play, sure. But I'm putting it up for now. 9F. I'd add Andre Buckner and Chris Collins standing up to Doh in '03, but I guess it really wasn't a play. Or K screaming at Dean - "Kcuf you, Dean!!!" But I loved those moments).
19. Dawkins block on Rivers vs. Notre Dame '86
20. ?

For those of you that have followed Duke for many years, I think you should know all of these without further explanation. I think that's one of the criteria - you just need to say something like "Grant's alley oop" or "The Rivers shot", and everyone knows what you mean.

I also considered JWill's plays vs. Maryland in the miracle minute. Or Allen's Wisconsin performance in '15, but they were actually a series of plays. Sure, I remember the JWill's steal and 3 when Mike Patrick was saying Duke needed a miracle. And Allen putting the team on his back and screaming, "C'mon!!!!!". So if you push hard, I'd add them to the list. Grudgingly, I'd take off Hansbrough's broken nose. But for now, they are off.

When a play goes down as the game winner, it's hard to compare it to a play in the course of a game. And some plays are in pressure moments that just seem huge (like Hurley's or Jones' 3). But considering some plays kept the season alive with a chance to go to the Final Four, I'm OK with saying my first two above are probably my first two if I had to rank them. And I'd put Rivers' shot high up as well, because Duke snatched victory from the jaws of defeat vs. Carolina. But the others are debatable to me in terms of order. And is Reddish's shot recency bias? I don't know.

I know I'm forgetting some plays. I just can't remember them now in the spur of the moment. Please remind me. That's why I have a spot left.

9F (and still trying to forget the MSU game)

nmduke2001
04-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Not arguing with that Zion was not must-see. He was. But I started thinking about what was said about Top 10 Duke plays.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it's hard to concretely define "top". I quickly drew up a list of memorable plays in my Duke lifetime. I came up with more than 10, which is why this is a Top 20. I've probably forget a few, but these came to mind in about 5 minutes of thinking:

(Note - these are in no particular order of importance, just in the order of what came to my mind):

18. GHenderson's bloodies Tyler Hansbrough's face vs. UNC '07 (I can be talked out of this being a play, sure. But I'm putting it up for now. 9F. I'd add Andre Buckner and Chris Collins standing up to Doh in '03, but I guess it really wasn't a play. Or K screaming at Dean - "Kcuf you, Dean!!!" But I loved those moments).
20. ?

For those of you that have followed Duke for many years, I think you should know all of these without further explanation. I think that's one of the criteria - you just need to say something like "Grant's alley oop" or "The Rivers shot", and everyone knows what you mean.

I also considered JWill's plays vs. Maryland in the miracle minute. Or Allen's Wisconsin performance in '15, but they were actually a series of plays. Sure, I remember the JWill's steal and 3 when Mike Patrick was saying Duke needed a miracle. And Allen putting the team on his back and screaming, "C'mon!!!!!". So if you push hard, I'd add them to the list. Grudgingly, I'd take off Hansbrough's broken nose. But for now, they are off.

When a play goes down as the game winner, it's hard to compare it to a play in the course of a game. And some plays are in pressure moments that just seem huge (like Hurley's or Jones' 3). But considering some plays kept the season alive with a chance to go to the Final Four, I'm OK with saying my first two above are probably my first two if I had to rank them. And I'd put Rivers' shot high up as well, because Duke snatched victory from the jaws of defeat vs. Carolina. But the others are debatable to me in terms of order. And is Reddish's shot recency bias? I don't know.

I know I'm forgetting some plays. I just can't remember them now in the spur of the moment. Please remind me. That's why I have a spot left.

Battier's back of hand tip in - '01 Championship game.

robed deity
04-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Battier's back of hand tip.

Ad his chase down block.

Ian
04-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Battier's backhand flip Battier's chasedown block. Redick knowing what play UNC is running. Scheyer's behind the back flip of ball down the court. Lance Thomas's putback dunk against Baylor. Those all belong in the top 20.

-jk
04-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Heyman before Chris Paul made it a thing...

And the rest of the melee.

-jk

BLPOG
04-03-2019, 04:23 PM
I tried to think of 6 or 7 before looking at your list and they are all there. I'll have to think about it to add more.

I think this thread is a great counterpoint to the Zion is the <insert however many superlatives you'd like here> player narrative (specifically with regard to entertainment, excitement, being the most important player on the court, etc.).

Zion has been great fun to watch, but most of his "spectacular" plays were of a mundane variety, in that they weren't essential, game-winning, destiny-of-the-team-changing plays. They don't really compare to the items on this list, IMO. I mean, I brought a VHS tape of the Dockery shot in to high school so that one of my teachers could watch it. I remember in detail, to this day, describing Duhon's reverse layup to other guys in my gym class the next day. Etc. I think I might put *one* of Zion's plays in the top 20 Duke plays (3rd Carolina game), but I think that might be generous.

I'll remember moments like the block for quite a while, but those plays don't equate to the historic ones.

FerryFor50
04-03-2019, 04:29 PM
I think it's kind of poor taste to list Hansbrough's bloody nose on there. I hate UNC as much as the next guy, but it was already a borderline dirty play and Duke lost the game anyway.

Ian
04-03-2019, 04:33 PM
His and one play against CF probably should make it had he made the FT, but ironically him missing it ended up benefiting Duke more.

BLPOG
04-03-2019, 04:38 PM
His and one play against CF probably should make it had he made the FT, but ironically him missing it ended up benefiting Duke more.

I don't recall that the team played the College of Central Florida this year. They did, on the other hand, play the UCF Knights.

It ain't rocket surgery, folks.

HH89
04-03-2019, 04:50 PM
Battier's backhand flip Battier's chasedown block. Redick knowing what play UNC is running. Scheyer's behind the back flip of ball down the court. Lance Thomas's putback dunk against Baylor. Those all belong in the top 20.

Might add in Battier's block on Juan Dixon to end the Miracle Minute Game. Zoubek challenging Heyward's shot and rebounding the miss at the end of 2010 Championship (plus bonus for making the first free throw)? Grant dunking on Eric Montross.

kako
04-03-2019, 04:53 PM

Ah, agree. I knew I forgot something. Probably others, too. But I'd stick this in the top 20.

9F

noworries
04-03-2019, 04:57 PM

From this game as well...the Williams triple to put us up 8 with ~2 minutes to play (in the same manner as Tyus in the '15 championship game) is one I've watched back a ton of times. Especially considering how poor he played throughout the game.

CameronBlue
04-03-2019, 05:03 PM
I think it's kind of poor taste to list Hansbrough's bloody nose on there. I hate UNC as much as the next guy, but it was already a borderline dirty play and Duke lost the game anyway.

Sub in his slam against Maryland. Loved Bilas's reaction as well (wait what, love for Bilas OMG!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6-4b5jrun0

kako
04-03-2019, 05:04 PM

Already agreed that Battier's tip should be there. Honestly, I didn't remember the Scheyer out of bounds play vs. Texas until I googled it. Yeah, it was a wow play - if it had resulted in a breakaway bucket, it would have been legendary. I might add that to my list. Thomas' dunk was when Duke was already up - to me, it was still close but not a game changer. But my list doesn't have to be your list. Redick knowing what play UNC was running - please refresh my memory.

Anyway, just curious - what would you remove from my list for the last 3?

9F

kako
04-03-2019, 05:08 PM
I think I might put *one* of Zion's plays in the top 20 Duke plays (3rd Carolina game), but I think that might be generous.

Oh, that was spectacular. It showed Zion in a nutshell - quickness, ball handling, relentlessness, hops, rebounding, touch. It's on my list.

And I'll stick by the Zion block on Hunter. I've never seen anything quite like that in college.

9F

kako
04-03-2019, 05:09 PM

I guess I hate them more. All I can say is 9F.

9F

kako
04-03-2019, 05:13 PM

-jk

I thought about that, but being that it was well before my Duke lifetime, I didn't include it. But I probably would have, if I had been around then.

I would have loved watching Art Heyman. I'll say it again - how it Todd Lichti going into the HOF when Art Heyman is not there?

9F

Bob Green
04-03-2019, 05:15 PM

-jk

Unfortunately...

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on -jk again.

BLPOG
04-03-2019, 05:23 PM
I guess I hate them more. All I can say is 9F.

9F

It's in poor taste and has also spent considerable time as my phone's wallpaper.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-03-2019, 05:34 PM
I generally prefer to focus on the positives and plays made by Duke, but could one argue that a play like Hayward's heave not going in in the championship game also be one of the greatest?

BLPOG
04-03-2019, 05:42 PM
I generally prefer to focus on the positives and plays made by Duke, but could one argue that a play like Hayward's heave not going in in the championship game also be one of the greatest?

Paging Tyler Zeller

kako
04-03-2019, 05:53 PM
From this game as well...the Williams triple to put us up 8 with ~2 minutes to play (in the same manner as Tyus in the '15 championship game) is one I've watched back a ton of times. Especially considering how poor he played throughout the game.

In the Stones Jones play, Duke was behind when he put up that 3, and they took the lead. I'd say that's a difference. The JWill play I'd love to have put up there was: JWill 3-and-1 vs. Indiana in '02... except it didn't happen. And the one of the few times I complained about officiating - Boozer got fouled.

One other series from the '01 title game was Dunleavy's consecutive 3s. But again, that's not a play, that's a series of plays. But it was huge.

9F

turnandburn55
04-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Battier's blocked shot and save from out of bounds leading to Dunleavy's first three in the '01 NC

brevity
04-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Grudgingly, I'd take off Hansbrough's broken nose.

To spite his face?

I agree with the others who mentioned Battier in 2001. It's his signature play, and signature plays are what you're looking for when you make a list like this.

What's so special about the number 20? It's your list. Expand as needed.

Ian
04-03-2019, 08:19 PM
Already agreed that Battier's tip should be there. Honestly, I didn't remember the Scheyer out of bounds play vs. Texas until I googled it. Yeah, it was a wow play - if it had resulted in a breakaway bucket, it would have been legendary. I might add that to my list. Thomas' dunk was when Duke was already up - to me, it was still close but not a game changer. But my list doesn't have to be your list. Redick knowing what play UNC was running - please refresh my memory.

9F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EACRbozx34

Duke UNC 2005, UNC down 71-70 with the ball and 12 secs left in the game, Redick reads the called play and denys the pass to the wing, UNC panics not knowing what to do, doesn't get a shot off and Duke wins.

jb75
04-03-2019, 08:27 PM
Robbie West's game winning shot to beat 3rd ranked UNC on January 22, 1972- the day Indoor Stadium was renamed for Eddie Cameron.

Neals384
04-03-2019, 09:14 PM

20. ?

That's a great list of top 20 clutch plays, or game-winning plays, if you want to call it that. I was thinking of most amazing plays, as in "how the heck did he do that."

Here's a candidate #20 for your list - Grayson's hustle turnover in the 2015 final (which makes my list too).

DevilFalcon
04-03-2019, 09:21 PM
Tyler Thorntons crazy 3 in Maui has to make that list.

pfrduke
04-03-2019, 10:05 PM
We should do this season by season - here’s a few recent ones by quick memory

2019 - Zion miss and putback in the ACCT SF against UNC; Reddish at the buzzer against FSU; Barrett through the legs to Reddish against Louisville; Zion’s immolation of the block plus full court bounce pass against UK
2018 - Bagley alleyoop over Maye in the UNC game at Cameron
2017 - a couple options: Jones from Tatum for 3 in the ACCT championship against Notre Dame; Tatum’s dunk on Meeks in the UNC game at Cameron; probably not the same level but Grayson’s sick throw down at UNLV in a 50-pt rout
2016 - Grayson’s winner against UVA; Thornton’s defense on Berry in the win at the Dean Dome
2015 - lots here: Jones for 3 against Wisconsin (twice); Grayson steal and out of bounds in the title game; Winslow 3 against Gonzaga; Grayson missed 3 and follow dunk against MSU; Okafor down the stretch against UNC in Cameron; Jones for 3 against Virginia
2014 - ?
2013 - ?
2012 - Austin Rivers in the Dean Dome; Tyler Thornton in Maui
2011 - Kyrie on the drive against MSU in Cameron; Kyrie half court reverse alley oop to Miles in Portland
2010 - Zoubek D on Hayward in the title game; Mason reverse in the Dean Dome; Lance putback against Baylor; Dawkins 3s against Baylor
2009 - Gerald’s dunk on Dave Neal after Neal took Nolan out on a dirty screen

pfrduke
04-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Also in 2017 - Giles block on one end and dunk on the other against UNC in the ACCT SF against UNC

pfrduke
04-03-2019, 10:11 PM
For 2011, not sure I can pick a specific moment but just generally Nolan and Seth in the second half of the UNC game in Cameron

pfrduke
04-03-2019, 10:24 PM
For 2019, add Zion’s block against Hunter; maybe also add RJ off the free throw miss against UCF

ndkjr70
04-03-2019, 11:41 PM
For 2011, not sure I can pick a specific moment but just generally Nolan and Seth in the second half of the UNC game in Cameron

Nolan’s weird layup and-1 thingy in that game in 2011 always sticks in my head. It capped a monster run by duke that buried the cheats.

2015 was so damn magical. The Okafor and-1 against UNC in Cameron in overtime has gotta be up there. Same with his and-1 with Kaminsky on his back like a cape.

Bagley putting Maye on a poster in 2018 was great, unfortunately the ball rimmed out on what would be an all-time moment for Grayson later that year.

kako
04-04-2019, 12:10 AM
What's so special about the number 20? It's your list. Expand as needed.

Good point. I guess I was just trying to rank things somehow using the former weekly Top 20 team ranking list as a model. No need (after the first two Laettner buzzer beaters and the Rivers shot, at least to me!).

9F

kako
04-04-2019, 12:12 AM
Duke UNC 2005, UNC down 71-70 with the ball and 12 secs left in the game, Redick reads the called play and denys the pass to the wing, UNC panics not knowing what to do, doesn't get a shot off and Duke wins.

Got it, thanks! Yeah, that was excellent. I re-watched that game, I think last season or the one before, when ESPN shows all the Duke-UNC games prior to their first meeting of the year.

9F

kako
04-04-2019, 12:13 AM
Robbie West's game winning shot to beat 3rd ranked UNC on January 22, 1972- the day Indoor Stadium was renamed for Eddie Cameron.

Before my time. But I didn't know that happened on the same day. Very cool, thanks.

9F

kako
04-04-2019, 12:21 AM
That's a great list of top 20 clutch plays, or game-winning plays, if you want to call it that. I was thinking of most amazing plays, as in "how the heck did he do that."

Here's a candidate #20 for your list - Grayson's hustle turnover in the 2015 final (which makes my list too).

Thanks. Yeah, that's the scream that he did, right? I love it when you can just see how much a guy wants to win. He really wore it on his sleeve that game.

9F

kako
04-04-2019, 12:28 AM
We should do this season by season - here’s a few recent ones by quick memory

2019 - Zion miss and putback in the ACCT SF against UNC; Reddish at the buzzer against FSU; Barrett through the legs to Reddish against Louisville; Zion’s immolation of the block plus full court bounce pass against UK
2018 - Bagley alleyoop over Maye in the UNC game at Cameron
2017 - a couple options: Jones from Tatum for 3 in the ACCT championship against Notre Dame; Tatum’s dunk on Meeks in the UNC game at Cameron; probably not the same level but Grayson’s sick throw down at UNLV in a 50-pt rout
2016 - Grayson’s winner against UVA; Thornton’s defense on Berry in the win at the Dean Dome
2015 - lots here: Jones for 3 against Wisconsin (twice); Grayson steal and out of bounds in the title game; Winslow 3 against Gonzaga; Grayson missed 3 and follow dunk against MSU; Okafor down the stretch against UNC in Cameron; Jones for 3 against Virginia
2014 - ?
2013 - ?
2012 - Austin Rivers in the Dean Dome; Tyler Thornton in Maui
2011 - Kyrie on the drive against MSU in Cameron; Kyrie half court reverse alley oop to Miles in Portland
2010 - Zoubek D on Hayward in the title game; Mason reverse in the Dean Dome; Lance putback against Baylor; Dawkins 3s against Baylor
2009 - Gerald’s dunk on Dave Neal after Neal took Nolan out on a dirty screen

If we go season by season, 2013 brings back Ryan Kelly's first 3 at the start of the Miami game when he returned? For 2014, there's gotta be a Jabari Parker highlight, just can't think of it.

9F

gam7
04-04-2019, 03:39 AM
I think the iconic Zion highlights were the 360 against Clemson and the shoe explosion.

But I was generally more blown away by his big blocked shots - obviously the Hunter block but also the Notre Dame block which I think was the highest he jumped on any play this season, and the block in Cameron where he hit his head on the backboard. I also was amused by Zion knocking Dolezaj out of the Syracuse game and Zion's missed reverse dunk against BC.

Right up there with the Gerald Henderson dunk mentioned in posts above for the sheer humiliation factor is Dahntay Jones dunking over Nick VanderLaan (UVA) and then doing push ups with his legs still on top of VanderLaan. That was 2003.

I don't think anyone mentioned Duhon's buzzer beater against Wake and also Duhon's coast to coast buzzer beater at Carolina. Edit - I see that Duhon's UNC buzzer beater is on the original list.

Also, Battier's chasedown block of Joe Forte @UNC.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-04-2019, 08:01 AM
Horvath's game winning banked three in OT vs. Depaul in early December, 1999. It wasn't quite a buzzer beater (about 14 seconds left) but it was certainly dramatic, and it launched the legend of Nick Horvath - probably his greatest moment at Duke.

Tripping William
04-04-2019, 08:04 AM
Horvath's game winning banked three in OT vs. Depaul in early December, 1999. It wasn't quite a buzzer beater (about 14 seconds left) but it was certainly dramatic, and it launched the legend of Nick Horvath - probably his greatest moment at Duke.

Only if you don't count pick-up games . . . .

AtlDuke72
04-04-2019, 08:26 AM

This is one of the best threads ever - it nails almost all of the great moments. I was there when Robbie West made his shot. Carolina was much, much better that year with Robert McAdoo on the team. The other old guys might add Fed Lind’s heroics in the triple overtime game to beat UNC in 1968 as one of the all time great series of plays. Another one is Dick DiVenzzio dribbling through the legs of somebody to make a layup - maybe against Wake?

ndkjr70
04-04-2019, 08:26 AM
If we go season by season, 2013 brings back Ryan Kelly's first 3 at the start of the Miami game when he returned? For 2014, there's gotta be a Jabari Parker highlight, just can't think of it.

9F

My biggest highlight of 2014 is Boeheim sprinting on the court doing a “my suit is too small for me” wiggle.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-04-2019, 12:34 PM
I'm usually the conformist but I like adding some of the non-traditional ones - how about Andre Buckner shoving Coach Doherty?

Sir Stealth
04-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Personally I think that Zion's best dunk was the one where Huff hacked down on on Zion's right arm on a breakaway and he still managed to finish the dunk with his off-hand. That one was just incredible.

Sadly, I'm not sure that any of the plays listed from this year actually make a list of top Duke plays of all time - the possible exception would be Zion's putback against UNC since the stakes were pretty high for that one and it showed his athleticism and force of will. Zion's breakaway dunk in that game is also up there for really hammering home his comeback in such a huge game. If Duke had gone further in the tourney then the insanely high alley oop finish over Virginia Tech probably would have stuck more in memory, but given how things ended it will probably just be one of many amazing dunks from this year with few standing out for context like the tourney buzzer beaters do. I think that the leaping block of Hunter will probably stand the test of time the most in future highlight videos compared to any single dunk because the play was so unique. The through the legs pass against Louisville will also have staying power because of how historic and insane that comeback was.

On the all time list I think that the Rivers shot is usually underrated and the Dockery shot overrated.

kako
04-04-2019, 01:44 PM
I'm usually the conformist but I like adding some of the non-traditional ones - how about Andre Buckner shoving Coach Doherty?

I mentioned that in my op. Yup, Andre Buckner is one of my favorite Duke players of all time. Seriously. And yes, just because of 9F. Go to the 1:42 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxxCWbde6sc

If I had to pick an all-time team comprised of all Duke players and could include a walk-on, I'd pick Buckner as my walk on. Anyone who sticks up for his team like that is A-OK in my book.

9F

kako
04-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Personally I think that Zion's best dunk was the one where Huff hacked down on on Zion's right arm on a breakaway and he still managed to finish the dunk with his off-hand. That one was just incredible.

Sadly, I'm not sure that any of the plays listed from this year actually make a list of top Duke plays of all time - the possible exception would be Zion's putback against UNC since the stakes were pretty high for that one and it showed his athleticism and force of will. Zion's breakaway dunk in that game is also up there for really hammering home his comeback in such a huge game. If Duke had gone further in the tourney then the insanely high alley oop finish over Virginia Tech probably would have stuck more in memory, but given how things ended it will probably just be one of many amazing dunks from this year with few standing out for context like the tourney buzzer beaters do. I think that the leaping block of Hunter will probably stand the test of time the most in future highlight videos compared to any single dunk because the play was so unique. The through the legs pass against Louisville will also have staying power because of how historic and insane that comeback was.

On the all time list I think that the Rivers shot is usually underrated and the Dockery shot overrated.

I do have the Zion putback vs. UNC and the Zion block on Hunter on my list. They will stick with me. The VaTech alley oop was also big, but I feel you about how the tourney ended. The RJ to Reddish 3 vs. Ville was one play in a series of plays that comprised the entire comeback, kind of like the Miracle Minute was. But I agree with you that the Rivers shot is underrated. It's right there behind the two Laettner tourney buzzer beaters for me. I like Dockery's shot. As you may be thinking, it was in a lesser importance regular season game versus a team that's not much of a rival. But I'm sure analytics would say we had a 99% chance of losing that game prior to his shot, so it's pretty cool. The shot that I think is overrated is Capel's bomb to put the game into 2OT in '95, as we lost that game. If we had won that game, that one would be rated much higher. Still, memorable since it was against UNC.

9F

kako
04-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Right up there with the Gerald Henderson dunk mentioned in posts above for the sheer humiliation factor is Dahntay Jones dunking over Nick VanderLaan (UVA) and then doing push ups with his legs still on top of VanderLaan. That was 2003.

I don't think anyone mentioned Duhon's buzzer beater against Wake

Ahhh the Dahntay push up dunk. Yeah, that was cool, just for the arrogance factor! And I forgot about the Duhon shot vs. Wake, thanks! We were both ranked, and beating a Big 4 team is usually better than beating other ACC teams.

9F

robed deity
04-04-2019, 02:08 PM

Among the many reasons I wanted Duke to advance to the final was I wanted Zion another chance to dunk on or block Jack Salt, just so I could use my "Zionized Salt" line.

BigZ
04-04-2019, 02:19 PM
I’d say Laettner ‘s shot, Rivers Buzzer Beater and Hurley’s alley to Grant are the three that get the most airtime on highlights

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-04-2019, 02:22 PM
I can’t remember which game or if I have the details right, but there was a play with the ball going out of bounds, Scheyer saves and whips it to Nolan who then throws and alley oop to a Singler. It’s not a greatest ever but wow.

BLPOG
04-04-2019, 03:31 PM
I can’t remember which game or if I have the details right, but there was a play with the ball going out of bounds, Scheyer saves and whips it to Nolan who then throws and alley oop to a Singler. It’s not a greatest ever but wow.

It was briefly mentioned earlier in this thread. I think it was this game (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3698142). Hell of a play.

NSDukeFan
04-04-2019, 05:14 PM
One of my all-time favourites is the alley-oop from Nolan to Miles with Singler yelling in excitement on the way back up the court in 82-50.

https://youtu.be/wwNMjPXRC_g

Not massively significant in terms of changing the outcome of a game, but soooooooo much fun.

kako
04-04-2019, 06:13 PM

If you are talking about the play in the 2009 tourney (below), reality is turning mythical! Scheyer does save it and whips it down court. But there's no extra pass or alley oop. It does result in the ball being Duke's ball in a tight one with Texas at the end of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXAh6q-swKE

But if we want, we can say that it was like you said. Except it was a buzzer beater! Quick, somebody re-edit that video!

9F

gotoguy
04-04-2019, 06:28 PM

That's the first play I thought of not on the list. Andre earned his schollie with that "play"

I would put Banks' shot against UNC at #4 K's first win over the Cheats.

How about Dennard's reverse dunk against ND in the 78 FF?

NSDukeFan
04-04-2019, 06:41 PM
Where does Banks’ dunk over Sampson rank?

https://youtu.be/pTUprxXigeo
Again, maybe not top marks for score significance, but definitely great points for Wow factor.

Nugget
04-04-2019, 09:00 PM
Bobby Hurley's 3 against UNLV (deliciously, taken at the exact moment when Packer says "still plenty of time to not worry about a three") has come to be the major focus of pretty much everyone's collective memory of the key "play" in that game. But, I think that game alone has probably 4-6 other plays (or closely-related series of plays) that could qualify for this list, including:

1. Grant Hill's layup off the opening tip, Laettner's three the next trip down the court, and then Grant beating Larry Johnson down the court for a layup on the following play to give us a quick 7-3 lead and send the message it wasn't going to be like 1990.

2. Brian Davis stepping in to take the charge for Greg Anthony's 5th foul.

3. The extraordinary team defense we played on the possession after Hurley's three to draw a shot clock violation (including after UNLV's veteran team had an inbounds play with 5 seconds on the shot clock so knew they needed to get one up).

4. On the next possession, Grant Hill beating NDPOY Stacy Augmon off the dribble then dishing to Brian Davis who finished over Larry Johnson and George Ackles and got an and-one to give us a 77-76 lead with 1:03 to go -- which, in my hazy memory of being in the arena that day was the first time when the crowd collectively really indulged the idea we might win, and it first became apparent that UNLV was feeling the game pressure.

5. Laettner getting the OR with 12 seconds to go and then icily striping two free throws to give us the 79-77 lead.

6. Hurley's defense on Anderson Hunt on the last exchange -- first, denying him the ball for most of possession and then, after LJ passed it to him with 4 seconds to go, defending effectively without fouling.

wsb3
04-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Duke vs Kansas...1991.. Inbounds play..Brian Davis fakes..takes off toward basket. Catches pass & dunks it as Billy Packer says ballgame. And Duke's first National Championship is sealed.

kako
04-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Where does Banks’ dunk over Sampson rank?

https://youtu.be/pTUprxXigeo
Again, maybe not top marks for score significance, but definitely great points for Wow factor.

I think DBR had that dunk on the front page before. Yeah, great dunk!

9F

kako
04-04-2019, 11:09 PM
Bobby Hurley's 3 against UNLV (deliciously, taken at the exact moment when Packer says "still plenty of time to not worry about a three") has come to be the major focus of pretty much everyone's collective memory of the key "play" in that game. But, I think that game alone has probably 4-6 other plays (or closely-related series of plays) that could qualify for this list, including:

1. Grant Hill's layup off the opening tip, Laettner's three the next trip down the court, and then Grant beating Larry Johnson down the court for a layup on the following play to give us a quick 7-3 lead and send the message it wasn't going to be like 1990.

2. Brian Davis stepping in to take the charge for Greg Anthony's 5th foul.

3. The extraordinary team defense we played on the possession after Hurley's three to draw a shot clock violation (including after UNLV's veteran team had an inbounds play with 5 seconds on the shot clock so knew they needed to get one up).

4. On the next possession, Grant Hill beating NDPOY Stacy Augmon off the dribble then dishing to Brian Davis who finished over Larry Johnson and George Ackles and got an and-one to give us a 77-76 lead with 1:03 to go -- which, in my hazy memory of being in the arena that day was the first time when the crowd collectively really indulged the idea we might win, and it first became apparent that UNLV was feeling the game pressure.

5. Laettner getting the OR with 12 seconds to go and then icily striping two free throws to give us the 79-77 lead.

6. Hurley's defense on Anderson Hunt on the last exchange -- first, denying him the ball for most of possession and then, after LJ passed it to him with 4 seconds to go, defending effectively without fouling.

I should watch this game again. Maybe I will instead of TT/MSU!

Thinking about it, this was perhaps the last game in the tournament when I thought going in that Duke might not win, i.e. less than 50% chance of winning. I don't know if there's been a game in the tournament since then when I thought Duke was more likely to lose than win. Maybe even the regular season (though the '94-'95 season was a blur, and not sure about the next season, either).

9F

kako
04-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Duke vs Kansas...1991.. Inbounds play..Brian Davis fakes..takes off toward basket. Catches pass & dunks it as Billy Packer says ballgame. And Duke's first National Championship is sealed.

Just watched the replay of the end. I forgot that Duke was gagging up the lead a bit in the final minute. The game wasn't really in serious doubt, but an 11 point lead went down to 5 with 30 seconds left. They almost get nailed with a 10 second backcourt call - THill figures it out and calls TO (great player awareness/coaching there). Then the play. Sweet.

9F

wsb3
04-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Just watched the replay of the end. I forgot that Duke was gagging up the lead a bit in the final minute. The game wasn't really in serious doubt, but an 11 point lead went down to 5 with 30 seconds left. They almost get nailed with a 10 second backcourt call - THill figures it out and calls TO (great player awareness/coaching there). Then the play. Sweet.

9F

I remember thinking if we get a 5 second call..Kansas hits a 3..One possession game...The sheer relief & joy when Davis dunked. It was over & after so many trips to the F4 which I recall all but the first..Duke was National Champs..