PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Duke Painting Ever Painted

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2019, 02:24 AM
When I was in high school, I remember walking into South Square Mall and into a print shop. I am mostly positive it was next to the tobacco store, to the left of the main entrance. I loved art, so it was a place I'd go check out. And one day, I remember seeing the craziest most insane print. It was Duke! But it was also something more than Duke; it was something I grew up with. It was Good Times.

It took me a few years to piece together that Ernie Barnes was the guy who painted The Sugar Shack. It took me more years to learn he was a professional athlete. (NFL, numerous teams). It took me more years to learn that he was a Durham native. And when I learned that, then the painting of Johnny Dawkins and the '86 Final Four team made sense.

There are two paintings of Cameron that I love. One I'm selfish about. But the other is this one. It is a celebration of Duke in K's infancy. It is a celebration of the diversity of that team. There is so much to love about it. The stillness of the net. The prominence of the ref getting ready to call JD for the foul. (Tongue in cheek, but prob did), the look on the visitor bench, the elation on the Duke bench.
There is so much crazy detail in that painting. I have mad respect for that. I love painting details, but you ain't seeing eyes at thirty yards in mine.
When you see the newish "Duke Planet" graphics with our guys over muscularized, don't think Marvel. Think Barnes. He was the originator. And being an athlete, he knew what he was painting.
Anyway...just wanted to take a minute to celebrate a guy who celebrated us. If you have time, there is another month left at the NC History Museum to see his work in person, including the well known "The Sugar Shack".

Thanks, Ernie, for inspiring me.

Reilly
04-03-2019, 05:44 AM
Thanks for sharing that. The artist captures JD's poise and dignity -- the same attributes on display recently in the tournament. And I guess that is a Dick Enberg shout-out with the "Oh" and "My" signs in the stands?

budwom
04-03-2019, 07:40 AM
Perhaps I'm in the minority (and I once had a copy of this print) but if it were the greatest Duke painting ever, it wouldn't have any tarheels in it, seriously. As if we are honored to be on the court with them. No thanks.

devildeac
04-03-2019, 08:12 AM
When I was in high school, I remember walking into South Square Mall and into a print shop. I am mostly positive it was next to the tobacco store, to the left of the main entrance. I loved art, so it was a place I'd go check out. And one day, I remember seeing the craziest most insane print. It was Duke! But it was also something more than Duke; it was something I grew up with. It was Good Times.

It took me a few years to piece together that Ernie Barnes was the guy who painted The Sugar Shack. It took me more years to learn he was a professional athlete. (NFL, numerous teams). It took me more years to learn that he was a Durham native. And when I learned that, then the painting of Johnny Dawkins and the '86 Final Four team made sense.

There are two paintings of Cameron that I love. One I'm selfish about. But the other is this one. It is a celebration of Duke in K's infancy. It is a celebration of the diversity of that team. There is so much to love about it. The stillness of the net. The prominence of the ref getting ready to call JD for the foul. (Tongue in cheek, but prob did), the look on the visitor bench, the elation on the Duke bench.
There is so much crazy detail in that painting. I have mad respect for that. I love painting details, but you ain't seeing eyes at thirty yards in mine.
When you see the newish "Duke Planet" graphics with our guys over muscularized, don't think Marvel. Think Barnes. He was the originator. And being an athlete, he knew what he was painting.
Anyway...just wanted to take a minute to celebrate a guy who celebrated us. If you have time, there is another month left at the NC History Museum to see his work in person, including the well known "The Sugar Shack".

Yours is better. Far better. And you *know* which one I'm posting about and I fully expect you to post it here. Soon.

;)

aimo
04-03-2019, 08:21 AM
Geez! I had forgotten all about this painting! Very cool! I worked a couple of years in the old Mutual Bldg downtown, and the stairwells there had Barnes pictures at every landing.

But, yeah, I'd like it even better w/o that other team in it.

killerleft
04-03-2019, 08:52 AM

I have a damaged copy of that print! And I bought it at the same store in South Square Mall. Something had been spilled on the edges, so I just cut the white margin off and stuck the print in a cheap poster frame. It cost me $35. They didn't want to sell a damaged print, but I got it for a much lower price than the perfect ones. I had it on a wall for several years before my wife convinced me it didn't belong in the living room.

As soon as I saw it, I knew the artist was the same guy who did the Good Times paintings. I don't think I've ever seen a work of art that catches the frenzied motion of a basketball game so well.

Dang, we almost went to the NC History Museum about a month ago. Went to the Museum of Art instead. That's where they should have put Barnes' work!:(

Edit: the foul was going to be called on the foul tar heel!:)

quahog174
04-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Perhaps I'm in the minority (and I once had a copy of this print) but if it were the greatest Duke painting ever, it wouldn't have any tarheels in it, seriously. As if we are honored to be on the court with them. No thanks.

I think you can infer the opponent is UNC, but I see nothing to definitively support that. I like the painting.

Rich
04-03-2019, 09:52 AM
I'm partial to this one hanging in my home office. A print of a CB&B original!

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2019, 10:28 AM

That isn't Carolina, it's a nameless generic team. With all the details Barnes put in, if it were Carolina, he would have made it so on the jerseys. (And it's not the right ugly blue.)

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2019, 10:30 AM

Ha, well that's my 2nd favorite Duke painting ever. The original looks great on DD's wall. :)

devildeac
04-03-2019, 10:48 AM

Ha, well that's my 2nd favorite Duke painting ever. The original looks great on DD's wall. :)

I am indeed staring at the original right now. Our two Duke grad children also have prints of the same painting. :cool:

yancem
04-03-2019, 12:21 PM
I don't know, a couple of you are seriously dating yourselves talking about South Square 😁. That's been gone longer then most of this year's team have been alive. Sadly, I also remember seeing this painting in the same store. It is a classic.

Indoor66
04-03-2019, 12:59 PM
I don't know, a couple of you are seriously dating yourselves talking about South Square 😁. That's been gone longer then most of this year's team have been alive. Sadly, I also remember seeing this painting in the same store. It is a classic.

Gee, I remember when South Square was a valley with a creek running through it and had Mike Rubbish's driving range and 9 hole, lighted par three course just to the West.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-03-2019, 01:10 PM
Gee, I remember when South Square was a valley with a creek running through it and had Mike Rubbish's driving range and 9 hole, lighted par three course just to the West.

We're pretty old, Indoor.
Love, Ima

wk2109
04-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Here is my newest Duke painting that I have been working on for the last few months, "903 and Kounting" depicting the legendary career of Coach K. The background of the painting features a team picture of every team Coach K has coached starting with his West Point teams all the way to last year's Duke team. The background also features highlights from his career including the 4 National Championships, Christian's shot to beat Kentucky, and Wojo embracing Coach after their dramatic victory of UNC. The foreground of the painting features Coach K diagramming a play to the 9 players that have had their numbers retired during Coach's tenure at Duke: Ferry, Battier, Redick, Hurley, Laettner, Hill, S. Williams, Dawkins, and J Williams.

Let me know what you all think of it.

I've always liked this painting by user dukefan1980.

devildeac
04-03-2019, 01:15 PM

Sounds like right about the same time that dean's myth removed the bottoms from peach baskets. :p

devildeac
04-03-2019, 01:19 PM
I've always liked this painting by user dukefan1980.

Very interesting. How would K shorten *that* rotation to 6.5 players?

:rolleyes:;)

aimo
04-03-2019, 01:20 PM

I remember that. And the Blair House and Kobe Steak House were where the Green Weenie stands now.

-jk
04-03-2019, 04:32 PM

Yeah, you're getting old... "Mike Rubish (https://www.newsobserver.com/latest-news/article16078274.html)". (Maybe you couldn't help yourself - the unc=trash thing.)

-jk

ikiru36
04-03-2019, 04:48 PM
I remember that shop as just down from the Piccadilly Cafeteria on the short arm of South Square opposite the Belks/Nordstrom(?). Not far from that cool shop on the end, providing any last minute onyx chess set, shuriken, and nunchuk needs. More to the point of why we're all here, I think that is the store Grant Hill has mentioned regarding beginning his art poster collection, and subsequent love of visual art and art collection.

mattyoung18
04-03-2019, 08:07 PM
I like the painting of Dukes huddle and I like Shelden William's but he belongs no where near that all time huddle unless hes the towel boy.He was good but not all time like the others.

brevity
04-03-2019, 08:20 PM
I like the painting of Dukes huddle and I like Shelden William's but he belongs no where near that all time huddle unless hes the towel boy.He was good but not all time like the others.

I'm sure he'll appreciate that.

If I recall, the painting depicts the 9 players under Coach K with retired jerseys. (You may feel that he's 9th on that list, but he's definitely on that list.)

rsvman
04-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Your memory is off.

budwom
04-04-2019, 01:14 PM
That isn't Carolina, it's a nameless generic team. With all the details Barnes put in, if it were Carolina, he would have made it so on the jerseys. (And it's not the right ugly blue.)

it is very close to that hideous blue, and when i originally bought my copy it was widely assumed to be the cheats...no one else wears a color even close to that hideous shade.

Rich
04-04-2019, 06:21 PM
it is very close to that hideous blue, and when i originally bought my copy it was widely assumed to be the cheats...no one else wears a color even close to that hideous shade.

Rhode Island

yancem
04-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Rhode Island

Hopkins

NSDukeFan
04-04-2019, 06:56 PM

I assumed that was Jeff McInnis on the ground?

https://youtu.be/sRJMsoIptQo

msdukie
04-04-2019, 09:08 PM
The story of the painting:

https://theathletic.com/822826/2019/02/20/ernie-barnes-painting-evokes-good-times-for-dukes-1986-final-four-team/?source=dailyemail#_=_

Sixthman
04-04-2019, 09:33 PM
The story of the painting:

https://theathletic.com/822826/2019/02/20/ernie-barnes-painting-evokes-good-times-for-dukes-1986-final-four-team/?source=dailyemail#_=_

The clearest indication that the visitors in this painting are intended to be some version of UNC is that the figure in the background in the center of the painting, waving his arms, is a coach, and bears a striking resemblance to Dean Smith.

killerleft
04-04-2019, 09:54 PM
The clearest indication that the visitors in this painting are intended to be some version of UNC is that the figure in the background in the center of the painting, waving his arms, is a coach, and bears a striking resemblance to Dean Smith.

It's UNC. Brad Daugherty is recognizable even from behind. It's the hairline. He's the most prominent defender about to get posterized by Dawkins the night Dawkins' number was retired.

baldtimer
04-05-2019, 12:17 AM
This post brought a smile to my face....I bought this print while I was at Duke....I have it framed very nicely in my office and stare at it every day....my favorite Duke image by far...

YmoBeThere
04-05-2019, 06:25 AM
Any way to obtain prints of all three?

CameronBornAndBred
04-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Any way to obtain prints of all three?

I have prints of mine, "Time Out" available. They are on canvas.

Dukefan1980 probably has ones of his, too. I think Ernie Barnes' family maintains a website for him, so they may sell his, or maybe Ebay.

Rich
04-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Dukefan1980 probably has ones of his, too. I think Ernie Barnes' family maintains a website for him, so they may sell his, or maybe Ebay.

CBB's prints look like originals the way he puts them on canvas and then shellacs them. I highly recommend the purchase.

devildeac
04-05-2019, 01:23 PM
CBB's prints look like originals the way he puts them on canvas and then shellacs them. I highly recommend the purchase.

Seconded. The two he did for our 2 Duke children look great. Funny, our oldest child, a cheater grad, didn't get one of his prints. :rolleyes:

Lurkingdukedog
04-05-2019, 04:41 PM
Yeah, you're getting old... "Mike Rubish (https://www.newsobserver.com/latest-news/article16078274.html)". (Maybe you couldn't help yourself - the unc=trash thing.)

-jk

I seem to remember that driving range off of Garrett Road -- is that correct?

Rich
04-05-2019, 05:09 PM
I have a damaged copy of that print! And I bought it at the same store in South Square Mall. Something had been spilled on the edges, so I just cut the white margin off and stuck the print in a cheap poster frame. It cost me $35. They didn't want to sell a damaged print, but I got it for a much lower price than the perfect ones. I had it on a wall for several years before my wife convinced me it didn't belong in the living room.

As soon as I saw it, I knew the artist was the same guy who did the Good Times paintings. I don't think I've ever seen a work of art that catches the frenzied motion of a basketball game so well.

Dang, we almost went to the NC History Museum about a month ago. Went to the Museum of Art instead. That's where they should have put Barnes' work!:(

Edit: the foul was going to be called on the foul tar heel!:)

I would be interested in buying a print of the Barnes work, but the only one I can find is an unauthenticated autographed version on eBay for $900.

oldnavy
04-05-2019, 05:29 PM
We're pretty old, Indoor.
Love, Ima

Hey now, I bought my first set of golf clubs from Mr. Rubish.....

JetpackJesus
04-05-2019, 05:36 PM

Love Time Out. Have it in my office. Thanks again!

I also had three of Dukefan1980's lithographs (Dyna5ty, Order Has Been Restored, and 2.1 Seconds That Last Forever) that I put in my car to get framed for my office. Someone broke into my car and stole the tube I had them in. :mad: If anyone is interested, Jason's prints can be purchased here: https://www.jasonrobichau.com/online-store.

-jk
04-05-2019, 06:08 PM
A Duke fan in Arizona has a basement theatre setting. One wall is an homage to the Hill/Laettner shot. It has a lot very specific individuals. It's awesome!

Unfortunately, I don't think he posts here and can't give us a visual...

-jk

Indoor66
04-05-2019, 06:58 PM
I seem to remember that driving range off of Garrett Road -- is that correct?

No, it was located where Toys R Us and the commercial buildings to the south are located. It abutted 15-501 Business westward to the 15-501 bypass.

YmoBeThere
04-08-2019, 06:08 PM
I would be interested in buying a print of the Barnes work, but the only one I can find is an unauthenticated autographed version on eBay for $900.

Yes, that is the only one available after checking with the family/his website. I would feel okay about it if the seller had more tha 1 feedback in 5 years.

YmoBeThere
04-17-2019, 10:06 AM
That eBay copy is headed west...

YmoBeThere
04-17-2019, 10:13 AM

okay, next on the acquisition list. I checked several of the sites you are on and did not see them anywhere.

CameronBornAndBred
04-17-2019, 11:09 AM
okay, next on the acquisition list. I checked several of the sites you are on and did not see them anywhere.

Feel free to PM me. I have them in two different sizes. 24 x 12 and 40 x 20.

devildeac
04-17-2019, 12:11 PM

Feel free to PM me. I have them in two different sizes. 24 x 12 and 40 x 20.

Bigger is better. ;)

CameronBornAndBred
04-17-2019, 12:17 PM
Bigger is better. ;)

Ha! I'm pretty sure I'll never get it done in the size of your original, but if I did, it would be "pick up only"! :cool:

devildeac
04-17-2019, 01:28 PM
Ha! I'm pretty sure I'll never get it done in the size of your original, but if I did, it would be "pick up only"! :cool:

Would it include a pint of ale from Mother Earth Brewing and a pound or two of homemade Q?

;)

YmoBeThere
04-17-2019, 01:59 PM
I don’t own a pickup...

YmoBeThere
08-25-2023, 09:50 PM
Been needing to get mine framed for some time now. Will get to it this weekend.

YmoBeThere
08-25-2023, 09:55 PM
And for those wondering whatever happened to the The Sugar Shack painting that CB&B references in his first post to this thread, it sold at auction last year.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/ernie-barnes-sugar-shack-painting-good-times-marvin-gaye-1235023123/

For $15.3 million.

TywinBlue
08-26-2023, 10:34 AM
I was a student in 1978 and after that memorable season a painting was made of that National Finalist team.

Reproductions were sold and a drawing was held for the original. I won.

I hung that painting in my various offices and then I contacted Duke Athletics and tried to donate it to the museum.
But no one got back to me.

I have it at my home and my wife has hinted she's tired of looking at G-Man and Spanarkle on our wall.

Any opinions of what I should do ?

CameronBornAndBred
08-26-2023, 10:36 AM
I was a student in 1978 and after that memorable season a painting was made of that National Finalist team.

I hung that painting in my various offices and then I contacted Duke Athletics and tried to donate it to the museum.

I have it at my home and my wife has hinted she's tired of looking at G-Man and Spanarkle on our wall.

Showing an image of it would help. Sounds cool.

YmoBeThere
08-26-2023, 11:03 AM
And for those wondering whatever happened to the The Sugar Shack painting that CB&B references in his first post to this thread, it sold at auction last year.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/ernie-barnes-sugar-shack-painting-good-times-marvin-gaye-1235023123/

For $15.3 million.

Important detail. The one that sold for $15.3 million may not be the original. Supposedly, it was a second one created by Earnie Barnes. The original ended up with Marvin Gaye and was purchased from his estate by Eddie Murphy in the '80s.

YmoBeThere
08-26-2023, 11:04 AM

How big is it? Perhaps a Blue Healer auction item?

peloton
08-26-2023, 11:16 AM
Showing an image of it would help. Sounds cool.

I also would love to see a pic of this painting...and I imagine many others (who are long in the tooth) would too, as that was a very special time in Duke basketball history.

brevity
08-26-2023, 11:28 AM

Am I the only one who sees the obvious punchline here? "Change the wall, or change..." But I'm going to assume you're otherwise happily married.

It wasn't a painting, but I once had a poster-sized image that was then signed and framed. Ever practical, I decided it was too heavy to take with me, so I gave it to someone. I don't particularly miss it, and part of that is knowing it's in good hands.

TywinBlue
08-26-2023, 10:22 PM

A photo of the painting is attached.
Sorry painting is sideways in attached photo. It is 62" tall and 43" wide.

Jeffrey
10-01-2023, 01:08 AM
Important detail. The one that sold for $15.3 million may not be the original. Supposedly, it was a second one created by Earnie Barnes. The original ended up with Marvin Gaye and was purchased from his estate by Eddie Murphy in the '80s.

Very interesting! Please provide any links you have. Christie’s should have disclosed it at their auction and I don’t think they did.

sixsecondsaway
10-02-2023, 01:51 PM
Barnes' stuff is absolutely gorgeous. I am always on the lookout for a a print of the 1986 Duke painting. I took a few classes on race and law at the NCCU Law School (Barnes is an NCCU alum) and they have what I think may be an original of "The Advocate" displayed in the library. It is so striking to me that I didn't mind if folks labeled me "the weird guy who keeps staring at the painting behind the circulation desk" just to spend a little time with it. ;)