PDA

View Full Version : 2019-2020 Schedule Speculation / Updates

HCheek37
04-02-2019, 04:11 PM
Hey everyone,

Despite the current sadness that has set in this week, I already look forward to next year. Here's what I've found that is confirmed for next season, please feel free to add others:

Non-Conference
early November - 2 preliminary games for the Empire Classic at Cameron Indoor Stadium
November 5 - Champions Classic vs Kansas at Madison Square Garden (Kansas is the only team we have not defeated in the Champions Classic - 0-2 losing in 2013 and 2016)
November 21 - Empire Classic Semifinals vs Georgetown/Cal/Texas at Madison Square Garden
November 22 - Empire Classic Finals vs Georgetown/Cal/Texas at Madison Square Garden
late November - ACC Big Challenge @ ????? (I'd guess Michigan St as they are due a home game but Purdue is also a possibility unless we get 2 home games in a row which has happened before)

ACC Play (20 games):
Home and Away: UNC (@ Dean Dome probably February 19, @ Cameron definitely March 7), Wake Forest, BC, Miami, NC State, Virginia Tech
Home Only: Florida St, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh
Away Only: Clemson, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Virginia

One note is that the East Regional is at MSG next year so K has scheduled 3 games there to get some familiarity for the team in the Mecca.

Non-conference schedule was released on July 26th and full conference schedule was released on September 13th last year.

If you see any updates, post them here.

proelitedota
04-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Hey everyone,

Despite the current sadness that has set in this week, I already look forward to next year. Here's what I've found that is confirmed for next season, please feel free to add others:

Non-Conference
early November - 2 preliminary games for the Empire Classic at Cameron Indoor Stadium
November 5 - Champions Classic vs Kansas at Madison Square Garden (Kansas is the only team we have not defeated in the Champions Classic - 0-2 losing in 2013 and 2016)
November 21 - Empire Classic Semifinals vs Georgetown/Cal/Texas at Madison Square Garden
November 22 - Empire Classic Finals vs Georgetown/Cal/Texas at Madison Square Garden
late November - ACC Big Challenge @ ????? (I'd guess Michigan St as they are due a home game but Purdue is also a possibility unless we get 2 home games in a row which has happened before)

ACC Play (20 games):
Home and Away: UNC (@ Dean Dome probably February 19, @ Cameron definitely March 7), Wake Forest, BC, Miami, NC State, Virginia Tech
Home Only: Florida St, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh
Away Only: Clemson, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Virginia

One note is that the East Regional is at MSG next year so K has scheduled 3 games there to get some familiarity for the team in the Mecca.

Non-conference schedule was released on July 26th and full conference schedule was released on September 13th last year.

If you see any updates, post them here.

That's a far easier conference schedule than this year. We should be aiming for a 1 seed again.

duke2x
04-02-2019, 08:22 PM
That might be it for the big non-conference games: KS, Empire, Empire, and (@)B10. We either play a 6-5 or 7-4 Cameron/non-Cameron split based on the last 10+ years of experience and the new ACC schedule. The one that is missing is a MSG game with Duke ticket control, but I'm not sure that happens with 3 games up there already.

I always add the blackout dates in December: Final Exams run from December 11-16. Coach K likes to give a long Christmas break, which could last anywhere from December 17-January 1.

Also remember there is 1 December ACC game under the new schedule. The "open" spots in our early schedule are around 12/7 (likely) or 12/21. If we must play 2 games due to the odd number of ACC teams, which is likely, that 2nd game will need to be played no later than Jan 2. Tradition also puts the UNC home game on 3/7/20. That's 340 days away.

Yes, I don't see this happening, but we could get a Greensboro/NYC/ATL path for the NCAA next year.

22JumpShots
04-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Been waiting for awhile now for Duke to be able to play the Pack twice per year in regular season play! I think every year Duke should play Wake twice, Pack twice, and ofc the cheats..... even though I hate the cheats.

duke2x
04-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Been waiting for awhile now for Duke to be able to play the Pack twice per year in regular season play! I think every year Duke should play Wake twice, Pack twice, and ofc the cheats.... even though I hate the cheats.

I guarantee Duke and State ask for this in basketball in every scheduling request. ESPN tells the ACC to schedule Syracuse twice as much as possible, which wins out. (That has to be their #2 overall ratings game after Duke-UNC.) Clemson is the true beneficiary as we haven't played a home-home with them since 2010 and won't until the last cycle.

DavidBenAkiva
04-03-2019, 08:06 AM
I picked a hell of a year to move to NYC! Duke plays 3 games in 2019 and might play a couple more in March. Yes, please.

DallasDevil
04-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Hoping we get a game in Texas as well. I believe Coach K usually schedules a game in a player's home state their senior year if they have not had a chance to play in that state during their career, and Bolden has not had the chance to play in Texas yet. Bolden is from the Dallas area, so maybe a neutral site game at the American Airlines Center against a team like Rice or UTEP? This assumes that Bolden comes back of course, but I think that is pretty likely.

DUKIE V(A)
04-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Hoping we get a game in Texas as well. I believe Coach K usually schedules a game in a player's home state their senior year if they have not had a chance to play in that state during their career, and Bolden has not had the chance to play in Texas yet. Bolden is from the Dallas area, so maybe a neutral site game at the American Airlines Center against a team like Rice or UTEP? This assumes that Bolden comes back of course, but I think that is pretty likely.

Interesting. I would be interested in watching Duke play Texas A&M (Buzz), Baylor, or SMU.

DallasDevil
04-03-2019, 12:25 PM
Interesting. I would be interested in watching Duke play Texas A&M (Buzz), Baylor, or SMU.

I forgot about Justin Robinson, who will also be a senior. That may make San Antonio the possible site for a Texas game, and may mean a game gets scheduled in Texas even if Bolden did not come back. I agree that the three teams you mentioned would be interesting games. I assume we will not schedule Texas since we may play them in NYC. Texas Tech and Houston would also be good match-ups. I suppose schools from states near Texas could also be considered as well, such as New Mexico, New Mexico State, Oklahoma, OSU, Tulsa, or LSU.

hallcity
06-06-2019, 11:10 AM
We’re playing at Michigan State on 12/3 in ACC-B1G challenge.

scottdude8
06-06-2019, 11:21 AM
We’re playing at Michigan State on 12/3 in ACC-B1G challenge.

Not surprising... this will be the matchup that's hyped up all month on ESPN! I still say that if Michigan hadn't lost everything it had and entered the year as a Top 5 team we might've gotten them in the B1G-ACC considering we already play MSU once every three years in the Champions Classic (or, at the least, we might have pushed for that behind the scenes). If Juwan Howard has success in Ann Arbor (my fingers are crossed, I'm sure most on the board are putting a hex on him, haha) many may be clamoring for a renewal of the moderate "rivalry" that existed back in the Fab 5 era.

Personally, I think playing MSU early in the year bodes well for us. Tom Izzo led teams very often struggle early in the year before rounding into form late (it's why so often in the last 5-10 years MSU has been an under-seeded "trendy" pick to go to the Final Four). Meanwhile, even with our freshman led teams Coach K almost always seems to have our Blue Devils playing well early. Some other things to consider in this matchup:

Yes, Cassius Winston is going to be the NPOY frontrunner. But I still like Tre over him one-on-one, especially now that Tre has some extra motivation to redeem himself from our loss last season. For all his success Winston is not overly athletic and is undersized... if Tre is well prepared for his crafty moves (and push offs!) he can limit Winston.
Early on in the year it wouldn't surprise me if MSU is still searching for it's secondary scorer behind Winston. The obvious candidate is Josh Langford, but you can never underestimate how much a year not playing baskeball will affect someone. Xavier Tillman is a solid player, but not a scorer who creates for himself. Nick Ward could create for himself in the paint, but is gone. And the two primary shooters, Goins and McQuaid, are gone. That may require a freshman to take a larger role than desired at this early point in the season.
Losing Ward isn't as huge of a blow to MSU as it would've been without Tillman's development, but it is a significant blow to their depth. There isn't a clear secondary big on MSU's roster as it now stands, unless a rising sophomore or incoming freshman develops quickly. Meanwhile, our frontcourt trio of Carey, Hurt and Javin will be our strength (and, FWIW, all are taller than Tillman). We have the potential to try to attack that matchup and get Tillman in foul trouble, which would drastically handicap Sparty.

Already salivating over this game.

duke2x
07-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Google has found some dates to our schedule.

H: CO St. (11/8), C. AR (11/12), SF Austin (11/26), Brown (12/28)
A/N: v. KS (11/5), v. Empire (11/21, 11/22), @MSU (12/3)
TBD: 3 games, at least 2 of which are likely to be in Cameron against smaller schools.

Blackout dates: 12/11-12/16 (Finals). December break (I'm thinking this is 12/18-12/26 this year).
Obvious holes in the early schedule: 11/16, 11/30, 12/7, 12/17, 12/31. One of those is an ACC game before the season starts in earnest on 1/3.

Brown said they "almost" upset us in 1995. The score was 80-38. :D https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/brown-to-play-at-duke-in-2019-20-says-report
That CSU game could be an expensive home opener with ND's football team in town the next day.

AGDukesky
07-01-2019, 05:24 PM
^I was upset that we only won by 42😛

JasonEvans
07-03-2019, 12:02 PM
v. Empire (11/21, 11/22)

In case anyone is confused (and did not read earlier in this thread), Empire is not the name of a team.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uHRz-41ReHs/hqdefault.jpg

It refers to the Empire Classic, which will feature us, Georgetown, Cal, and Texas. A few yeas ago this would have been a field of heavyweights, but all three of those teams have been down a bit in recent years, especially GTown (#100 in KenPom in 2019) and Cal (#241...ouch!).

-Jason "I suspect we will be on the opposite side of the draw from Texas, who at least have a couple top 50 recruits and some decent returning players" Evans

budwom
07-03-2019, 12:19 PM
In case anyone is confused (and did not read earlier in this thread), Empire is not the name of a team.

It refers to the Empire Classic, which will feature us, Georgetown, Cal, and Texas. A few yeas ago this would have been a field of heavyweights, but all three of those teams have been down a bit in recent years, especially GTown (#100 in KenPom in 2019) and Cal (#241...ouch!).

-Jason "I suspect we will be on the opposite side of the draw from Texas, who at least have a couple top 50 recruits and some decent returning players" Evans

What about the pathetic nature of "big name" college hoops in California? KenPom has USC (the real one, not the pimento cheese one) at #82, UCLA #102, Stanford #112, and Cal at #241...might've won a few bucks betting that Vermont (#76) would be ahead of all of them with probably 25% of their hoop budgets.

CrazyNotCrazie
07-03-2019, 01:16 PM

I got an e-mail yesterday for 25% off four $75 tickets for this event - I forgot that I had already ordered tickets. The fact that they are discounting tickets 4+ months ahead of time is not good. For those who are interested, use promo code "FIREWORKS" on Ticketmaster through Sunday to get the discount.

English
07-08-2019, 10:35 AM
SNIP...

You may well be right that Duke and Texas will be on opposite ends of the draw, but I’m pretty sure that GTown will be more formidable than the Longhorns next season. They’ve been in and out of the (essentially meaningless) way-too-early preseason top-25 lists, whereas Texas has been nowhere to be seen as far as I know.

Your point stands, though, that the prestige of this group, Duke excluded, has really REALLY taken a hit over the past several years. I’m hoping to attend, if for no other reason than to see our BDs and take in some live hoops, but it’ll be nothing like the Duke-Texas JJ game at MSG back when I was an ugrad.

ETA: The smart money would be on a draw of Duke-Cal, GTown-Texas...that would basically be 1vs4 and 2vs3.

msdukie
07-08-2019, 10:13 PM
Your point stands, though, that the prestige of this group, Duke excluded, has really REALLY taken a hit over the past several years. I’m hoping to attend, if for no other reason than to see our BDs and take in some live hoops, but it’ll be nothing like the Duke-Texas JJ game at MSG back when I was an ugrad.

It was at the Meadowlands.

English
07-09-2019, 11:01 AM

Face palm...I was at that game, too. My memory isn't what it once was.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-10-2019, 07:12 AM

I was there too, with about a dozen fraternity brothers. During the second half, with Duke up a lot, we chanted “Just like Clemson! Clap, clap, clap clap clap!” loud enough that Rick Barnes turned his head in our direction and glowered at us and waved! It may have been a one-finger salute. We loved it! LGD GTHc!

We’ll be there again in November. :cool:

Rich
07-10-2019, 01:23 PM

I was there too, with about a dozen fraternity brothers. During the second half, with Duke up a lot, we chanted “Just like Clemson! Clap, clap, clap clap clap!” loud enough that Rick Barnes turned his head in our direction and glowered at us and waved! It may have been a one-finger salute. We loved it! LGD GTHc!

We’ll be there again in November. :cool:

In English's defense, JJ also had an excellent game against Texas at MSG. And, according to the article below, the "Just like Clemson" chant was at the MSG game.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=233540150

JasonEvans
07-11-2019, 02:13 PM
ESPN says the Empire Classic (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27163155/your-guide-13-early-season-college-basketball-tournaments#Empire)will, as we speculated, feature Duke vs. Cal and Gtown vs. Texas as the two first round matchups.

-Jason "I hope Cal is better than the very bottom of the P12 this season... sheesh!" Evans

JasonEvans
07-11-2019, 02:21 PM
By the way, the two best pre-season tournaments appear to be the Battle for Atlantis and the Maui Invitational.

Maui has both Mich State and Kansas, arguably preseason #1 and #2, though the rest of the field is pretty pedestrian by Maui standards. I guess Anthony Edwards makes UGA interesting:

Dayton vs. Georgia
Michigan State vs. Virginia Tech
Kansas vs. Chaminade
UCLA vs. BYU

Battle 4 Atlantis features 3 of the top 10 with Gonzaga, UNC, and Michigan as well as quality teams in Oregon, Iowa State, and Seton Hall. Really impressive field:

Michigan vs. Iowa State
North Carolina vs. Alabama
Gonzaga vs. Southern Miss
Seton Hall vs. Oregon

Natty_B
07-11-2019, 02:38 PM
The non-conference schedule has been officially released:

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1149385588950405121

hallcity
07-11-2019, 02:38 PM
They've released Duke's final non-conference schedule.
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article232504467.html

I had guessed that Duke might play a conference game in December but I don't see when. Looks like it will be two conference games each week from January on.

JasonEvans
07-11-2019, 02:57 PM
2019-20 Duke Basketball Non-Conference Schedule

Friday, Oct. 18 -- COUNTDOWN TO CRAZINESS -- Cameron Indoor Stadium
Saturday, Oct. 26 -- NORTHWEST MISSOURI STATE (Exhibition) -- Cameron Indoor Stadium
Wednesday, Oct. 30 -- FORT VALLEY STATE (Exhibition) -- Cameron Indoor Stadium
Tuesday, Nov. 5 – vs. Kansas (State Farm Champions Classic) – New York, N.Y.
Friday, Nov. 8 -- COLORADO STATE -- Cameron Indoor Stadium
Tuesday, Nov. 12 -- CENTRAL ARKANSAS (Empire Classic Benefiting Wounded Warrior Project) -- Cameron Indoor Stadium
Friday, Nov. 15 -- GEORGIA STATE (Empire Classic Benefiting Wounded Warrior Project) -- Cameron Indoor Stadium
Thursday, Nov. 21 -- vs. California (Empire Classic Benefiting Wounded Warrior Project) -- New York, N.Y.
Friday, Nov. 22 -- vs. Georgetown or Texas (Empire Classic Benefiting Wounded Warrior Project) -- New York, N.Y.
Tuesday, Nov. 26 -- STEPHEN F. AUSTIN -- Cameron Indoor Stadium
Friday, Nov. 29 – WINTHROP -- Cameron Indoor Stadium
Tuesday, Dec. 3 -- at Michigan State (Big Ten/ACC Challenge) -- East Lansing, Mich.
Thursday, Dec. 19 – WOFFORD -- Cameron Indoor Stadium
Saturday, Dec. 28 – BROWN -- Cameron Indoor Stadium

JasonEvans
07-11-2019, 03:00 PM
I had guessed that Duke might play a conference game in December but I don't see when. Looks like it will be two conference games each week from January on.

There is clearly an opening the weekend of Dec 7-8 before the exam break. Duke has traditionally played a game the first weekend of December and I strongly suspect we will see an ACC game in that slot this year.

hallcity
07-11-2019, 03:06 PM
There is clearly an opening the weekend of Dec 7-8 before the exam break. Duke has traditionally played a game the first weekend of December and I strongly suspect we will see an ACC game in that slot this year.

We'll see. Michigan State and a conference game in the same week? The reading period begins on the 7th. Do we play games during the reading period?

Stray Gator
07-11-2019, 03:09 PM
As a season ticket holder, I must say that I am disappointed by the absence of any high-quality opponents on the non-conference home schedule this year.

arydolphin
07-11-2019, 03:11 PM

The chances that Duke plays an ACC game on that weekend are basically 100%. Remember, this is the year that the ACC goes to a 20 game conference schedule. Additionally, every team in the ACC EXCEPT Duke is going to have a conference game as their opening game of the season. Duke cannot do that because they will open the season at the Champions Classic: http://theacc.com/news/2019/3/15/mens-basketball-acc-announces-2019-20-season-opening-basketball-games.aspx

So there is a chance that Duke plays 1 ACC game in December, then finishes their season with 19 straight ACC games. Like others have suspected, I think the mid-winter (late January or early February) non-conference game will go away.

brevity
07-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Tuesday, Dec. 3 -- at Michigan State (Big Ten/ACC Challenge) -- East Lansing, Mich.

This is Duke's first road game of the season. So I guess AP voter Graham Couch (https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2018/12/10/graham-couch-ap-top-25-college-basketball-ballot-why-duke-kansas-tennessee-didnt-make/2264942002/) (who, coincidentally, writes for the Lansing paper) won't be ranking Duke at all until Monday, December 9. If he still has an AP vote.

jimsumner
07-11-2019, 03:51 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211806886

duke2x
07-11-2019, 04:28 PM
Since this version of the non-conference schedule contains speculation, I'm summarizing it here. Most of the early non-conference games are Tuesday and Friday, which prevents an overlap with football.

10/26 NW MO St. (Exh.)
10/30 Ft. Valley St. (Exh.)
11/5 v. KS (MSG)
11/8 CSU
11/12 C. AR
11/15 GA St.
11/21 v. CA (MSG)
11/22 v. Gtwn/TX (MSG)
11/26 SF Austin
11/29 Winthrop
12/3 @MSU

** ACC opener goes here between 12/4 and 12/11 (exams).
My hunch is this is Football Championship Saturday.

12/19 Wofford
12/28 Brown

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2019, 02:48 PM
How lucky is Wofford?

They play in Cameron on Dec 19th, and in CARMICHAEL four days earlier, in the Heel's first regular season home game there since 1986.

Besides playing in two electric and storied venues, I'd love for Wofford to be able to say they've beaten the baby blues in both the dome and in Carmichael...in the last three years. :D

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-12-2019, 03:11 PM
How lucky is Wofford?

They play in Cameron on Dec 19th, and in CARMICHAEL four days earlier, in the Heel's first regular season home game there since 1986.

Besides playing in two electric and storied venues, I'd love for Wofford to be able to say they've beaten the baby blues in both the dome and in Carmichael...in the last three years. :D

I watched that Wofford team play here in Asheville in the SoCon tournament. They were a legit squad with some playmakers and some serious shooters. No idea what their make up is this coming year,but they were fun to watch.

Tripping William
07-12-2019, 03:55 PM
As a season ticket holder, I must say that I am disappointed by the absence of any high-quality opponents on the non-conference home schedule this year.

Look on the bright side: This makes it more likely that The Streak reaches 20 years . . . . .

CrazyNotCrazie
07-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Look on the bright side: This makes it more likely that The Streak reaches 20 years . . . . .

Bootsy Thornton ain't walking through that door...

duke2x
07-12-2019, 08:49 PM

The days of the big non-conference series are dead in favor of extra games against Miami and Boston College. The casualties are any extra series like St. John's (or Temple/Georgetown) and a guaranteed MSG game against the best team we can schedule. It will be 1 Big 10 team every 2 years in Cameron. Coach K was even arguing against tournaments like Maui last season because it took up 3 A/N spots.

UrinalCake
07-12-2019, 09:33 PM

It’s been like that for a while now, but yeah this season is particularly bad, mainly because our ACC/B10 game is on the road and we apparently no longer have a “bye” slot in the conference schedule (during which we played St. John’s the past two seasons). With the conference schedule having expanded to 20 games I don’t see us ever scheduling a tough OOC opponent at home, there’s just no reason to given the number of tough conference games we’ll already have and the neutral site tournaments that we always commit to.

hallcity
08-03-2019, 01:40 PM
I’ve received the season ticket application in the mail. I’ve placed a photo of it below. About the only thing it reveals is that Duke will have two conference games in December, one after the MSU game and one after the Brown game on 12/28.

budwom
08-03-2019, 03:11 PM

We shall now reward you by jacking up your ticket prices yet again, sir.

duke2x
08-03-2019, 11:33 PM
For those you wanting to try your luck with the Iron Dukes, Duke has put the orders for the KS, Cal, and Gtwn/TX games up on goduke.com.

CrazyNotCrazie
08-30-2019, 10:04 PM
Is there any update on when the schedule will be released? I remember that for many years it was pretty consistently out by August 15. I know that TV plays a huge factor in things, but it would be nice to get it out, even if game times are not finalized (though the increasing number of "Game Time: TBD" on the schedule in recent years has been really frustrating).

duke2x
08-30-2019, 11:43 PM
It has been close to 9/15 in recent years and typically in the middle of the week to prevent overshadowing football. I would guess 9/12/19 (Th) or 9/17/19 (Tu).

Keep in mind there will be plenty of TBD times on the September schedule, particularly with the ACC-N. You will know the M/T/W and Sat/Sun splits, but that might be it.

hallcity
09-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Twitter says the schedules are coming out Thursday at 9:00 pm.

WiJoe
09-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Live on accn.

the espnIZATION of the acc, a conference unlike any other, in full force. Blech.

Just give us the damn schedule, please.

UrinalCake
09-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Before the schedule drops, perhaps now is an appropriate time to ask - who does everyone think the top teams in the conference will be? Besides us I’d say Louisville and the CHeats. And you can never count out Virginia regardless of how much they’ve lost. Who else might make a splash?

JasonEvans
09-12-2019, 07:50 AM
Before the schedule drops, perhaps now is an appropriate time to ask - who does everyone think the top teams in the conference will be? Besides us I’d say Louisville and the CHeats. And you can never count out Virginia regardless of how much they’ve lost. Who else might make a splash?

Virginia is sure to be up there, IMO. Key, Diatike, and Huff will be a very good front line in the ACC. You know the Cavs will play great D. I'd expect them to easily be a top 20 team all season long. I see Duke and Louisville at the top with Virginia and UNC only a tiny bit below the top two.

After those 4, I think there is a bit of a drop to teams like NC State, FSU, and Syracuse, though I would guess all three of those teams will be solidly in the NCAA tournament mix. After that you get to teams like Notre Dame, Miami, and Clemson. It is likely that at least one of those teams surprises and rises into the top half of the league, but it is anyone's guess which one it will be.

-Jason "I have not done enough research yet to give you anything more than that" Evans

duke2x
09-12-2019, 09:41 PM
Friday Dec. 6 at Virginia Tech * Blacksburg, Va. ACCN TBA
Tuesday Dec. 31 Boston College * Durham, N.C. ACCN TBA
Saturday Jan. 4 at Miami * Coral Gables, Fla. ESPN TBA
Wednesday Jan. 8 at Georgia Tech * Atlanta, Ga. ACCN TBA
Saturday Jan. 11 Wake Forest * Durham, N.C. ACCN TBA
Tuesday Jan. 14 at Clemson * Clemson, S.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ACCN TBA
Saturday Jan. 18 Louisville * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Tuesday Jan. 21 Miami * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Tuesday Jan. 28 Pittsburgh * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Saturday Feb. 1 at Syracuse * Syracuse, N.Y. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Tuesday Feb. 4 at Boston College * Chestnut Hill, Mass. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ACCN TBA
Saturday Feb. 8 at North Carolina * Chapel Hill, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ACCN TBA
Monday Feb. 10 Florida State * Durham, N.C. ESPN TBA
Saturday Feb. 15 Notre Dame * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ACCN TBA
Wednesday Feb. 19 at NC State * Raleigh, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Saturday Feb. 22 Virginia Tech * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ACCN TBA
Tuesday Feb. 25 at Wake Forest * Winston-Salem, N.C. ACCN TBA
Saturday Feb. 29 at Virginia * Charlottesville, Va. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Monday March 2 NC State * Durham, N.C. ESPN TBA
Saturday March 7 North Carolina * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ACCN

hallcity
09-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Tuesday Dec. 31 Boston College * Durham, N.C. ACCN TBA
Saturday Jan. 4 at Miami * Coral Gables, Fla. ESPN TBA
Wednesday Jan. 8 at Georgia Tech * Atlanta, Ga. ACCN TBA
Saturday Jan. 11 Wake Forest * Durham, N.C. ACCN TBA
Tuesday Jan. 14 at Clemson * Clemson, S.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ACCN TBA
Saturday Jan. 18 Louisville * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Tuesday Jan. 21 Miami * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Tuesday Jan. 28 Pittsburgh * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Saturday Feb. 1 at Syracuse * Syracuse, N.Y. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Tuesday Feb. 4 at Boston College * Chestnut Hill, Mass. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ACCN TBA
Monday Feb. 10 Florida State * Durham, N.C. ESPN TBA
Saturday Feb. 15 Notre Dame * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ACCN TBA
Wednesday Feb. 19 at NC State * Raleigh, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Saturday Feb. 22 Virginia Tech * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ACCN TBA
Tuesday Feb. 25 at Wake Forest * Winston-Salem, N.C. ACCN TBA
Saturday Feb. 29 at Virginia * Charlottesville, Va. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU TBA
Monday March 2 NC State * Durham, N.C. ESPN TBA
Saturday March 7 North Carolina * Durham, N.C. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ACCN

All times TBA? WTF? They haven’t had enough time?

duke2x
09-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Nope per goduke. Remember the messenger is never good for target practice. :(

CrazyNotCrazie
09-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Interesting that we have a weekend in January and a weekend in February with no games. Is it possible we could add another non-conference game or is the schedule totally done?

WakeDevil
09-12-2019, 09:56 PM
Been waiting for awhile now for Duke to be able to play the Pack twice per year in regular season play! I think every year Duke should play Wake twice, Pack twice, and ofc the cheats.... even though I hate the cheats.

Seeing as how the coach and the rest of the athletic department threw the UNC/NSCU rivalry under the bus, don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

UrinalCake
09-12-2019, 10:08 PM
Tough start, playing 3 out of our first 4 on the road including the opener at the house of horrors that is Blackburg. After that the schedule *seems* pretty easy until 1/18 at Louisville. Of the top teams we play UVA road only, UL home only, and of course the CHeats twice. That's not too bad, it felt like last year we played all the top teams twice.

The other thing I look for is two-day turnarounds. We have two of them @CHeats followed by FSU at home, and @UVA followed by State at home. In both cases the second game could be a trap.

Hard to take much more from the schedule without knowing who the other good teams will be.

msdukie
09-12-2019, 11:07 PM
They are holding lots of games for ACCN to use as carriage leverage, thus gametimes are also being held.

Note that for the first time since 1991, both Duke-Carolina games are on Saturday and both could be on ACCN.

brevity
09-13-2019, 01:57 AM

So now our first game against UNC is more than 2 months into our conference season?

JasonEvans
09-13-2019, 07:21 AM
So now our first game against UNC is more than 2 months into our conference season?

Yeah, you have to go all the way back to 2017 to find a season where we played an ACC games in early Dec and then played the Heels in early Feb.

Playing Carolina in February has been the new normal for a while now. I won't be at all surprised if the ACC someday schedules the UNC games as the final 2 games of the season.

brevity
09-13-2019, 08:52 AM

Yeah, you have to go all the way back to 2017 to find a season where we played an ACC games in early Dec and then played the Heels in early Feb.

Playing Carolina in February has been the new normal for a while now. I won't be at all surprised if the ACC someday schedules the UNC games as the final 2 games of the season.

Apologies. I had forgotten that the 2017 loss at Boston College was on December 9, a full three weeks before Duke’s second ACC game. That season had nearly a 2-month wait until UNC on February 8 (our 11th ACC game).

I’ve used to the new normal of playing UNC in February and March, but the early December start to ACC play makes the wait seem longer.

DavidBenAkiva
09-13-2019, 09:14 AM
Didn't know where to put this, so mods please move to appropriate thread if you feel it should be somewhere else.

I was watching the new Duke Blue Planet video, and Wendell Moore mentioned that Cassius Stanley put up a 42" vertical during the combine testing. If so, that is an excellent figure for a player that is 6'5" or. For comparison, Tre Duval was at 41.5" at the 2018 NBA Draft Combine while Frank Jackson was at 42.0" the year before. Stanely appears to be at least an inch taller. It puts Stlanely in the 95th percentile of everyone in the sport.

Other players that have posted a similar max vertical leap in recent years include Victor Oladipo and Iman Shumpert.

devildeac
09-13-2019, 10:35 AM
Didn't know where to put this, so mods please move to appropriate thread if you feel it should be somewhere else.

I was watching the new Duke Blue Planet video, and Wendell Moore mentioned that Cassius Stanley put up a 42" vertical during the combine testing. If so, that is an excellent figure for a player that is 6'5" or. For comparison, Tre Duval was at 41.5" at the 2018 NBA Draft Combine while Frank Jackson was at 42.0" the year before. Stanely appears to be at least an inch taller. It puts Stlanely in the 95th percentile of everyone in the sport.

Other players that have posted a similar max vertical leap in recent years include Victor Oladipo and Iman Shumpert.

Great info. Thanks for finding/sharing.

With Zion occupying the remainder. By himself. ;)

duke2x
09-13-2019, 03:57 PM
I won't be at all surprised if the ACC someday schedules the UNC games as the final 2 games of the season.

February sweeps won't let that happen. There's little chance the first Duke-UNC game ends up on ACC-N only. I can see a dual broadcast (ESPN + homer version on ACC-N). It's one of ESPN's biggest ratings events of the year. The second? I'm less confident because the ratings are lower.

ACC-N only: @VT, BC, @GT, Wake, @Wake
ACC-N possible: @Clemson, @BC, @UNC, ND, VT, UNC

The February games @BC, ND, and VT are the prime candidates to end up on ACC-N only. I doubt ACC-N excused ESPN from showing Wake, BC, etc. a certain number of times each season, and the Duke games are the most profitable way to do it.

The four game stretch between @Syracuse and FSU will determine our place in the ACC standings. It's 3 road games followed by FSU on very short rest. I'm glad we don't play Syracuse on Monday night. They struggle with us the other 6 days of the week.

msdukie
09-13-2019, 08:19 PM
The schedule was already revised this morning to reflect both Duke-Carolina games as ESPN games. Count on them being Saturday Primetime games with GameDay there.

throatybeard
09-14-2019, 01:18 AM
I won't be at all surprised if the ACC someday schedules the UNC games as the final 2 games of the season.

At first I was like, oh Jason's being hyperbolic. And then I was like, you're right, they are that crazy and it might just be like a fox. ESPN would hype that week like the everlovin super bowl.

And then in a number of years you meet in the ACCT. So three Carolina games in ten days.

Honestly the stress of that, it's too much. I wish the games were further apart from each other than they are. But they apparently have to be post NFL so here we are.

camion
09-14-2019, 08:05 AM
At first I was like, oh Jason's being hyperbolic. And then I was like, you're right, they are that crazy and it might just be like a fox. ESPN would hype that week like the everlovin super bowl.

And then in a number of years you meet in the ACCT. So three Carolina games in ten days.

Honestly the stress of that, it's too much. I wish the games were further apart from each other than they are. But they apparently have to be post NFL so here we are.

Oh My!! I hope and pray that THE ACC and ESPN don't read this board. You really don't want to give them any marketing ideas like that. :eek:

BlueDevil2K
09-17-2019, 10:05 PM

Looks like many of the ACC games now have tip-off times...

hallcity
09-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Looks like many of the ACC games now have tip-off times...

But they still can’t list the times of the non-conference home games. Also, the game at Va Tech is now either Friday 12/6 or Saturday 12/7. I’m pretty sure it was previously listed simply as 12/6. Also, I’m pretty sure more non-conference games will be televised than are shown on the schedule so far. I know getting it all set is complicated but they didn’t just start working on this a couple of weeks ago. Isn’t it a given that a Duke-Wofford game will draw more TV viewers than a field hockey game?
https://goduke.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

msdukie
09-17-2019, 10:57 PM
Virginia Tech gametime is set for Friday or Saturday in the event Duke or Virginia Tech is playing in the ACC Football Championship game on Saturday. I believe there are a few conference games set as Friday or Saturday that week for the same reason.

msdukie
09-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Saturday ESPN games have multiple time options when they are games being held as potential GameDay/Primetime games. Looks like we have 3 of them (plus both Duke-Carolina games will be GameDay games). Miami game time is likely in flux as it depends on ABC/ESPN NFL Wildcard game being announced. The nonconference games without times do not have TV times as they haven't sorted out the TV designations yet.

duke2x
09-18-2019, 10:49 AM
The nonconference games without times do not have TV times as they haven't sorted out the TV designations yet.

You can make some logical conclusions based on the day of the week for November/December.

CO St./GA St. must compete against Friday night NBA on ESPN. Result: espn2/ESPN-U/ACC-N.
SF Austin must compete against exempt tournament games. This game slot has traditionally been on ESPN-U. Result: ESPN-U/ACC-N.
Winthrop must compete against a fair number of college football games and exempt tournament games. Result: ESPN-U/ACC-N.

The others (C Ark/Brown/Wofford) could be anything, but Wofford favors ESPN based on past TV history.

MartyClark
09-18-2019, 06:44 PM
Julio-

Can we upload next season's schedule to the main page?

-jk
09-18-2019, 10:29 PM
Julio-

Can we upload next season's schedule to the main page?

Good idea, but that's more on SBN to update than Julian.

Meanwhile, GoDuke (https://goduke.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball) has one up, albeit with a lot of "TBA"s

-jk

DavidBenAkiva
09-23-2019, 01:43 PM
The Athletic is doing a series on college programs and has one up on Kansas today (https://theathletic.com/1200163/). It's behind a paywall, but I wanted to share a couple of notes from the article.

Udoka Azubuike has been running and dieting all summer and is down to 267 (-32) pounds since last year.

Expect a 2-big lineup most of the time between Azubuike, De Sousa, and McCorkmack off the bench.

Marcus Garrett, the backup PG and potential small-ball 4 (he's about 6'5"), is also a non-shooter (career 25.5%). Garrett is expected to get a lot of minutes, so when he is on the floor with the 2 bigs, KU's shooting is going to be highly reliant on PG Devon Dotson and whoever plays the wing.

Sophomore wing Ochai Agbaji, who will have a prominent role on the team this year, only shot 30.7% from 3 as a freshmen. The team added Isaiah Moss, a grad transfer from Iowa, in the offseason as well as a few freshmen with a reputation as shooters.

Dotson and Azubuike are among the best players at their positions in the country. KU will be about as good as the rest of the roster will allow them to play. Expect a tough defensive team with a suspect offensive approach.

hallcity
09-26-2019, 11:55 AM
We have a nearly complete schedule (https://goduke.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball) now with game times and TV networks for everything other than the two exhibition games. I don't know what the problem is with them.

The game at Va. Tech will be at 7:00 on Friday, December 6.

There are a couple of weird times now announced. The Stephen F. Austin game on 11/26 is an 9:00. Ugh. The 9:00 games suck no matter who you're playing. The game with Brown on 12/28 starts at 11:30 am. I don't recall ever seeing a home game scheduled before noon for any ACC team.

I now count 7 games definitely on ACCN and only one, Stephen F. Austin, on RSN.

sagegrouse
09-26-2019, 12:06 PM
We have a nearly complete schedule (https://goduke.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball) now with game times and TV networks for everything other than the two exhibition games. I don't know what the problem is with them.

The game at Va. Tech will be at 7:00 on Friday, December 6.

There are a couple of weird times now announced. The Stephen F. Austin game on 11/26 is an 9:00. Ugh. The 9:00 games suck no matter who you're playing. The game with Brown on 12/28 starts at 11:30 am. I don't recall ever seeing a home game scheduled before noon for any ACC team.

I now count 7 games definitely on ACCN and only one, Stephen F. Austin, on RSN.

Weird time for December 28 game with Brown may be to avoid network conflicts with the College Football playoff semifinals on ESPN, which are at 4 and 8 PM EST on that day. The game will conflict with the kickoffs of the Camping World Bowl in Orlando (ABC) and the Cotton Bowl in Dallas (ESPN). (Don Altman to Tee Moorman for the TD!)

DavidBenAkiva
10-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Big news out of East Lansing, MI. Joshua Langford's foot issues have returned. He is expected to be out through at least December 2019. Big blow for the Spartans. Their depth at the 2-guard spot was limited to begin with. I expect to see a number of looks with two of the other three wings - Kyle Ahrens, Aaron Henry, and Gabe Brown - on the court. And we may even see looks with Cassius Winston and freshman PG Rocket Watts in the backcourt as well.