PDA

View Full Version : Shane Battier named to College Basketball HOF

jimsumner
04-02-2019, 12:48 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211798161&DB_OEM_ID=4200

MChambers
04-02-2019, 12:49 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211798161&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Very deserving!

Natty_B
04-02-2019, 01:00 PM
That block in the game at UNC that year is one of my favorite Duke plays. Backwards tip-in in the championship game another all-timer.

accfanfrom1970
04-02-2019, 01:01 PM
All time favorite. I read the goduke article - how is Bobby Hurley not in the HOF ?

kako
04-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Who's the man? Battier!!!

Well deserved.

One note - Todd Lichti is in but Art Heyman is not? Exhibit A for recency bias.

9F

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-02-2019, 01:50 PM
Battier... Met someone recently who went to high school with Battier and said all the stories of his intelligence, wit, and eccentricities are totally true.

He was as much one-of-a-kind as Zion, just a different one of a different kind. We will never see his like again.

One of my favorite three players ever.

wsb3
04-02-2019, 04:22 PM
I am a very casual professional sports fan..rarely watching until the playoffs & never really all that invested in who wins. But the first year the Heat won after Shane had joined the team..That was the most I wanted to see a professional team win in recent years. It had nothing to do with the Big 3 & everything with wanting to see a class act like Shane get a ring.

What a great player and leader. I love that 01 team.

Indoor66
04-02-2019, 04:25 PM
How many guys have won both the NCAA Championship and the NBA Championship? It can't be a real long list, but I am too lazy to look it up.

pfrduke
04-02-2019, 04:39 PM
How many guys have won both the NCAA Championship and the NBA Championship? It can't be a real long list, but I am too lazy to look it up.

Our own Quinn Cook did it last year!

If memory serves, Shane was the first of Coach K's players to be on an NBA championship team.

jv001
04-02-2019, 04:41 PM
I don't know how the Crazies came up with that cheer but it sure was popular. Shane was one of my favorites and I loved his defense just as much as his offense, He's certainly deserving of the honor. Probably should have been sooner. GoDuke!

Ian
04-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Still my favorite all time player. Hard to imagine someone can surpass Laettner for me but somehow he did it.

arnie
04-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Our own Quinn Cook did it last year!

If memory serves, Shane was the first of Coach K's players to be on an NBA championship team.

No, Danny Ferry got one with the Spurs.

accfanfrom1970
04-02-2019, 06:07 PM

More than 30 I think. Most notably Magic, Michael, Bill Russel, Kareem, Walton, Cousy....several from UCLA and the Celtics. Of course Shane and Quinn.

NSDukeFan
04-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Battier... Met someone recently who went to high school with Battier and said all the stories of his intelligence, wit, and eccentricities are totally true.

He was as much one-of-a-kind as Zion, just a different one of a different kind. We will never see his like again.

One of my favorite three players ever.

One of my three favorite players as well. Great news and well deserved.

-jk
04-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Quite deserving! (About time? When was he eligible?)

-jk

brevity
04-02-2019, 09:15 PM

Sporcle Quiz: Can you name the players who have won both an NCAA title and an NBA Title? (https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/ncaa_and_nba)

You can play as a guest. There are 44 names listed, in no particular order. The quiz has not yet been updated to include Quinn Cook, but it covers a lot of history. (For example, you might take a glance at the NCAA column and say, "Utah? They made the championship game in 1998, but they lost to Kentucky." Yeah, they're talking about the title Utah DID win... in 1944.)

When you run out of names -- and you will, because this is hard -- click "Give up" under the timer to reveal all the answers.

jimsumner
04-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Ever heard of Tom Thacker?

He has a record that will never be equaled.

Only player to win an NCAA (Cincinnati) title, an NBA title and an ABA title. Unless the ABA makes a recovery, that one is going to stand.

-jk
04-02-2019, 10:39 PM

Only player to win an NCAA (Cincinnati) title, an NBA title and an ABA title. Unless the ABA makes a recovery, that one is going to stand.

Jim’s brother? Cousin? Uncle?

-jk

wsb3
04-03-2019, 03:19 PM

Very good Jim. I would have failed that trivia question. Made me think of what other players won NBA & ABA championships. Dr. J came to mind first, Rick Barry, Bill Melchionni (I confess I had to look that one up) & as you stated Tom Thacker

sagegrouse
11-25-2019, 10:25 AM
AP story on Battier's induction, which is featured on DBR Front Page, concentrates on Battier. It was announced last April. I saw little on the other players inductees --

Calbert Cheaney also was inducted with Larry Johnson, Terry Dischinger, Ernie DiGregorio and Todd Lichti.

And coaches Rick Majerus, Lute Olson and Homer Drew. Majerus cut Battier for Goodwill Games USA team, providing motivation for Battier.

moonpie23
11-25-2019, 10:36 AM
deservedly so.... congrats...

SkyBrickey
11-25-2019, 01:24 PM
Top 5 favorite Duke players to cheer for over the past 25 years.

5. Jason (Jay) Williams
4. Grant Hill
3. JJ Redick
2. Zion Williamson
1. "Who's your daddy?" Battier

That was a hard list to make. Honorable mentions to Ferry, Amaker, Laettner, Hurley, Carrawell, Wojo, Brand, Singler, Scheyer, Tyus Jones, Carter - with Tre Jones and Carey threatening to crack my list this year. And if Irving had played a full season, he would've been a shoe-in for top 5.

But Battier is at the top. Amazing player, amazing guy.

sagegrouse
11-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Top 5 favorite Duke players to cheer for over the past 25 years.

5. Jason (Jay) Williams
4. Grant Hill
3. JJ Redick
2. Zion Williamson
1. "Who's your daddy?" Battier

That was a hard list to make. Honorable mentions to Ferry, Amaker, Laettner, Hurley, Carrawell, Wojo, Brand, Singler, Scheyer, Tyus Jones, Carter - with Tre Jones and Carey threatening to crack my list this year. And if Irving had played a full season, he would've been a shoe-in for top 5.

But Battier is at the top. Amazing player, amazing guy.

I think you meant "35 years." A lot of these guys were more than 25 years ago.

SkyBrickey
11-26-2019, 08:41 AM
I think you meant "35 years." A lot of these guys were more than 25 years ago.

Yep. Older than I want to admit. Got to Duke in 86 so 33 years.

Tripping William
11-26-2019, 08:56 AM
The HOF finally feelin' the chi. 'bout damn time.