PDA

View Full Version : Javin DeLaurier

ns7
03-31-2019, 10:18 PM
I thought DeLaurier played great today. Definitely one of his best games at Duke. We just came off of a game where we did not rebound well and played an elite rebounding team. Javin was spectacular on the boards today and also had 3 blocks and 10 points. So I wanted to give him a special call out after today's game.

I am looking forward to see him play as a senior. He will bring great rim protection and rebounding to our team. We should be strong again in the front court with him, Bolden, and Carey.

weezie
03-31-2019, 10:19 PM
I totally agree.

Javin came a long way this year.

AZLA
03-31-2019, 10:25 PM
Thanks for posting this thread. I’ve been really impressed with Javs play this tourney and see him progressing well. I think he will have a consistent impact on D next year in the paint and being an outstanding leader.

baldtimer
03-31-2019, 10:26 PM
In total agreement....he played great....no stones thrown his way after this loss

KandG
03-31-2019, 10:29 PM
Kudos for this thread. Javin has always been one of my favorites, but he's had a stop-start quality to his development which I know frustrated many of us.

Tonight he put it all together, and it's a credit to what he did that I'm as sad his effort wasn't rewarded with a Final Four trip, as I am for the departure of such a great group of freshmen.

wsb3
03-31-2019, 10:30 PM
Good thread. Javin was awesome..Look forward to seeing him as a Senior.

BigZ
03-31-2019, 10:31 PM
Yeah he was real good.

WHOneedsSOX
03-31-2019, 10:35 PM
If he can develop a 15 foot shot next year, he's going to be a really good player.

CDu
03-31-2019, 10:39 PM
Possibly his best game in a Duke uniform.

kAzE
03-31-2019, 10:42 PM
Javin was incredible. I'm looking forward to watching him next year.

Hancock 4 Duke
03-31-2019, 10:47 PM
Wonderful game from Javin. He had some trouble guarding Ward in the post due to his lack of size, but if Javin puts on a little more weight and goes through excessive coordination exercises, he'll be a great forward for us next year.

It's been nice seeing him slowly increase his ability to finish in the post as well as snatch rebounds that would have slipped through his hands in the past.

moonpie23
03-31-2019, 11:18 PM
rockin like dokken........GO javin..!!!

UrinalCake
03-31-2019, 11:28 PM
He defended and rebounded really well. I hope he can develop some offensive game because right now it is nonexistent other than putbacks and receiving dump offs. Next years team is going to be hurting for offense so he has an opportunity to step up.

Early on I actually thought that Bolden was playing better and was surprised when K took him out, but Javin came up big in the second half.

gep
03-31-2019, 11:48 PM
Also seemed to limit his fouls in the recent games... and much better hands.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-01-2019, 12:16 AM
Javin played a heck of a game. Seeing his skill level rise during the season, especially the latter half, has been a delight. :cool:

InSpades
04-01-2019, 12:22 AM
If you told me he would go 5 for 5, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks I would've said we'd win by 20.

He struggled on a few defensive possessions but also came up HUGE on a few defensive possessions.

Really good game from the big fella.

Acymetric
04-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Javin reminds me of [a slightly bigger] Lance Thomas. All the athleticism, energy, and physical tools but struggles to put it to effective use consistently.

Lance had a pretty cool senior year.

DoWorkDukie
04-01-2019, 12:24 AM
His second half was absolutely great. I thought he looked overmatched in the post at the beginning of the game, but what a game from him. I really think he was one of the main bright spots.

wavedukefan70s
04-01-2019, 12:36 AM
Really glad hes coming back.bolden ,javin,goldwire,Baker Jack white and aoc.thats not a bad start 😁

HereBeforeCoachK
04-01-2019, 06:50 AM
His second half was absolutely great. I thought he looked overmatched in the post at the beginning of the game, but what a game from him. I really think he was one of the main bright spots.

I agree, Javin ended up with a great game, for him, but he had about 3 horrible moments, mostly early. He remains a conundrum for me....so tall, so athletic, and yet, so inconsistent, such poor hands, often out of position and out of control. Duke needs him to grow into his potential next season.

flyingdutchdevil
04-01-2019, 07:08 AM
Javin reminds me of [a slightly bigger] Lance Thomas. All the athleticism, energy, and physical tools but struggles to put it to effective use consistently.

Kinda agree. Although I hope Javin doesn't try to add a jumpshot to his game, ala LT 2010 (with not so great results).

Javin played amazing yesterday. His rebounding was critical after the 10 min mark.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-01-2019, 07:17 AM

To me Javin's far more athletic than Thomas. I thought Thomas looked kind of non athletic compared to the young Plumlees......

mattman91
04-01-2019, 07:23 AM
To me Javin's far more athletic than Thomas. I thought Thomas looked kind of non athletic compared to the young Plumlees...

Alarmingly?

freshmanjs
04-01-2019, 07:25 AM
To me Javin's far more athletic than Thomas. I thought Thomas looked kind of non athletic compared to the young Plumlees...

Who would have thought that lance would be (by far) the best nba player from that starting lineup?

Reddevil
04-01-2019, 07:52 AM
My hope is that Javin and Alex spend a lot of time in the weight room, while Jack and Jordan shoot a million shots.

DevilHorse
04-01-2019, 07:59 AM

Lance Thomas continued to improve into the G-League and the Knicks. Amile Jefferson also is carving out a career. K needs to find more of these guys.

Larry
DevilHorse

BeachBlueDevil
04-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Let's hope he carries it over into next season. Jav at times can be real good and at other times he can looks lost on both ends the floor. He certainly has the intangibles to have a GREAT senior season.

killerleft
04-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Not a day I feel like throwing out boquets, but you are entirely correct! Javin held his own against some tough competition, and has shown marked improvement this year. He rebounds well in traffic, and has become much better in turning offensive rebounds into baskets.

Thanks from me, also, for bringing this topic to the board.

MCFinARL
04-01-2019, 09:05 AM
I thought DeLaurier played great today. Definitely one of his best games at Duke. We just came off of a game where we did not rebound well and played an elite rebounding team. Javin was spectacular on the boards today and also had 3 blocks and 10 points. So I wanted to give him a special call out after today's game.

I am looking forward to see him play as a senior. He will bring great rim protection and rebounding to our team. We should be strong again in the front court with him, Bolden, and Carey.

I totally agree. If not in absolute terms, Javin was clearly the best Duke player of the game relative to reasonable expectations.

Wonderful game from Javin. He had some trouble guarding Ward in the post due to his lack of size, but if Javin puts on a little more weight and goes through excessive coordination exercises, he'll be a great forward for us next year.

It's been nice seeing him slowly increase his ability to finish in the post as well as snatch rebounds that would have slipped through his hands in the past.

Not to nitpick, but I hope he doesn't go through "excessive" coordination exercises as that sounds like a good way to injure yourself. :)

yancem
04-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I thought DeLaurier played really well. He had a quite a nice string of games going down the stretch. His catching was much improved and he was able to avoid making some of the silly fouls that have plagued him. His leadership will be very important next year.

Also, kudos to the OP. I've been avoiding most threads here and elsewhere because of a lot of negativity. It's nice to look at what went right instead of focussing only on the negative.

trinity92
04-01-2019, 10:35 AM
I'm just so glad to see the progress Javin made at the end of this season. I will admit I have been down on him over his career. I really hope he can build on this for next year and prove me even wronger about his ceiling.

dukebluesincebirth
04-01-2019, 10:37 AM
I got very frustrated with Javin's play at times this season, but I have to give him credit. He stayed determined through his mistakes and eventually found his role and turned into a contributor. Great job, Javin... hopefully the work continues in the offseason, and he finds his new role next year.