PDA

View Full Version : Thank you 2019 Duke Blue Devils men's basketball

wavedukefan70s
03-31-2019, 07:18 PM
I just wanted to say thanks .it was a great season. Very much enjoyed watching the team play .a very likeable talented Duke team.be proud of yourselves .enjoyed watching you play.

Dukehk
03-31-2019, 07:21 PM
It was the most enjoyable ride since 2015 and 2010!

These kids deserved to go to the final four, but it wasn't to be today.

Nothing to be ashamed of, and Im sure we will be seeing some of them back for next year (Tre Jones!).

J4Kop99
03-31-2019, 07:21 PM
Zion is a generational talent. He is so much fun to watch. Will miss him tremendously.

But it gets you thinking-- if this one-and-done team can't win a NC, then idk if that strategy is still the way to go. Maybe I'm just too in the moment but I think it's a fair question.

I think we will get some natural adjustments once the new NBA eligibility rules come into play.

Saratoga2
03-31-2019, 07:23 PM
It was the most enjoyable ride since 2015 and 2010!

These kids deserved to go to the final four, but it wasn't to be today.

Nothing to be ashamed of, and Im sure we will be seeing some of them back for next year (Tre Jones!).

This was a great team who gave us their all. Thanks to them for being who they were and what they did for Duke.

Troublemaker
03-31-2019, 07:30 PM
Loved this team, hated how it ended.

Thanks, guys! Very good season, and you did hang an ACC championship banner.

GGLC
03-31-2019, 07:35 PM
lol it doesn't matter

simplyluvin
03-31-2019, 07:36 PM
This was one of those special teams. We will miss it. Really want Coach K to get a sixth before he retires and I thought this was his best chance for a couple of years with a once in a generation talent in Zion.

UrinalCake
03-31-2019, 07:46 PM
It was a fun team to watch, we had our weaknesses for sure but I don’t think those were caused by having OAD’s, they were just weaknesses. I kind of wish that Kentucky game had never happened because it set our expectations through the roof and made it harder to enjoy the season because we could never live up to them. One of the most enjoyable teams we’ve had in a while, especially because of how good they were on defense. Wish we could have kept the ride going longer but really thankful we made it farther than UNC, won the ACCT title and didn’t lose either of our last two games which we easily could have.

Furniture
03-31-2019, 07:56 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I agree!!!

tfk53
03-31-2019, 08:05 PM
Second the thoughts on this year's team. A joy to watch. Loved the sense of team that developed over the season. The few weaknesses were most of the time obscured by their strengths - but just not quite enough today. Best wishes to the players that move on to the next level.

kako
03-31-2019, 08:06 PM
It's hard to put this season in perspective right now. That will take time. But so many memories will live on. Zion's dunks were amazing, but his blocks were jaw dropping (the UVA one sticks in my mind)... Jones' D on Syracuse in the first game before he got hurt... Reddish's 3 to win vs. FSU, and RJ's between the legs pass to Reddish for the go-ahead bucket vs. Ville... and oh, the Ville comeback! JGold and Vrank's work against Carolina in the ACC semis and winning the ACC crown again... RJ with a triple double and the freshman scoring record... Spanking Kentucky in the first game... Another 30 win season... I'm sure I will think of more later.

But yes... thank you, Devils. This year was a great ride. K says every season is a lifetime, and this one was well lived. Will see some of you back again next year, some of you in the NBA next year, and wish the rest of you well in the future. For us fans, expectations were not met... but that's what happens when you are lucky enough to be fans of a program that is continually relevant and fighting for championships. We can still appreciate the ride this team gave us.

9F

killerleft
03-31-2019, 08:09 PM
What a fun ride! We got an ACC Championship, at least.

Thanks, guys!

TruBlu
03-31-2019, 08:10 PM
And to the players who will not be back next year: Best of luck in the future.

To those players coming back: Work hard in the off-season, and come back strong next year. We will be there for you!

roywhite
03-31-2019, 08:11 PM
Really liked this team. They provided thrills and some great basketball.

These guys were proud to wear D-U-K-E on their chest and they represented the University well. Salute!

WHOneedsSOX
03-31-2019, 08:15 PM
Zion is a generational talent. He is so much fun to watch. Will miss him tremendously.

But it gets you thinking-- if this one-and-done team can't win a NC, then idk if that strategy is still the way to go. Maybe I'm just too in the moment but I think it's a fair question.

I think we will get some natural adjustments once the new NBA eligibility rules come into play.

Ehh, Duke was a Michigan State missed 3 away (or RJ made free throw) from going to the Final 4. Duke was the better team, just not tonight.

But man, what a fun team this was this year. We'll never see someone like Zion again. He's going to kill it in the NBA too (please don't let it be in Cleveland). RJ was unstoppable offensively most of the time. Only thing that stopped him was himself taking poor shots. Reddish had some incredible clutch moments this year. Tre was an absolute beast the last game.

Every team is special in their own way but I think this one was one was probably the most special since 2015. It's unfortunate it couldn't have gone on another week but that's the way sports goes sometimes.

DukieInKansas
03-31-2019, 08:15 PM
Thank you, Blue Devils. Another season that was fun to watch and cheer. May you all succeed in your future endeavors - wherever they may take you.

For those that might be leaving early, an education is important. Come back for classes as you are able and get your degree.

freshmanjs
03-31-2019, 08:16 PM
This is the year my 14 year old daughter became a huge Duke fan (and general hoops fan). Will always be special to me for that. We had a lot of fun. Let's not forget we beat most of the top teams this year. I hope Tony B. gets his championship.

MrPoon
03-31-2019, 08:16 PM
The Brotherhood should be proud.
So hard right now. Feel for these kids. Tre at the end, I feel you.
The tournament is so hard. Rarely does the best team win. Such a fun season. This team is so special. In a year where the ACC was so strong, to win the tournament is special.

shah
03-31-2019, 08:17 PM
A painful end to the season, but it’s been a great ride.

Thank you Zion for an astounding season and doing the unthinkable - turning many Duke haters into supporters (at least when you were on the court). I will be watching your dunks for years to come. That play where you ran the length of the floor against multiple UVA players and dunked it still gives me shivers.

Thank you RJ for being a rock throughout the season, always steady and ready to put the team on your back in the toughest of situations.

Thank you Cam for your tremendous efforts on defense and hitting clutch three pointers.

Thank you Tre for your court vision, taking care of the ball, and always guarding the other team’s point guard like a hawk.

Thank you Javin for your heart, your rebounding, your blocks, and refusal to give up.

Thank you Goldwire for your tremendous defensive tenacity and ability to conjure up steals out of thin air and change the momentum of the game.

Thank you Bolden for your heart, interior defense, and your dunks.

Thank you AOC, for your shooting, rebounding, and fearlessness in stepping up when the team needed you.

Thank you Jack for your defense, your blocks, your ferocity on the boards.

The passion with which the team would cheer for the success of other teammates was awesome to see.

I enjoyed the last few months immensely. Win or lose, I’ll never stop rocking Duke Blue.

camion
03-31-2019, 08:24 PM
Thanks to everyone on the team for a fun and exciting season. I hope you will be able look back on it with fondness as soon as the pain of the ending subsides.

This team accomplished a great deal and was a joy to watch. I will miss the ones who move on to other challenges and will cheer again next year for those that remain.

Thanks again.

arnie
03-31-2019, 08:35 PM
What a fun ride! We got an ACC Championship, at least.

Thanks, guys!

Agree, I was a fan for 8 years before seeing Duke win the ACC. Let’s not forget that accomplishment. Winning the whole thing is incredibly difficult and the best team doesn’t always win.

Devilwin
03-31-2019, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the ride guys. Sorry it ended as it did, but sometimes circumstances get in the way. And as always, thanks for being a Blue Devil.:cool:

chrishoke
03-31-2019, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the memories. Great group of guys. It was a pleasure being part of your sixth man all year long.

Nhoman4
03-31-2019, 08:57 PM
This was my favorite Duke team ever (I was born in 1992). It’s also the most talented duke team I’ve ever had the privlege to watch, no matter the final result.
I’m absolutely emotional right now, but this result has me really hating the NCAA tournament. The fact that 63 teams who had worse seasons than Duke has an equal opportunity to win it is frustrating. Especially when that opportunity is on a one game basis. But I know that this tournament does not reward the best team, just the team who happens to win 6 games in a row. Tough loss for Duke. Jeez I’m not handling this one well...

moonpie23
03-31-2019, 09:23 PM
thanks to all the players, staff etc......what a great ride.....best of luck to all of them..

weezie
03-31-2019, 09:56 PM
Thank you team!

I hope life smiles upon each of you. You've certainly made this Blue Devil proud.

curtis325
03-31-2019, 10:08 PM
Thank you Blue Devils. It was a magical ride.

Great season and great memories.

bedeviled
03-31-2019, 10:13 PM
Proud and delighted to support these players and to be part of the Duke community represented by them. This team has earned its place in the hallowed annals of Duke basketball. Thank you!

Utley
03-31-2019, 11:04 PM
My favorite season ever. Just can’t think of a ride like it. I loved these kids too - did everything right and made us all proud. While I hate that it’s over I am trying to
Focus on how lucky we were to enjoy it.

Dukehk
04-01-2019, 12:33 AM
This was the best season since 2015. In many ways, I actually enjoyed this season even more than 2015 (and 2010). I think you'd have to go back to 2001 to find a team with this much hype that was this fun to watch.

The team truly represented everything that is good about Duke and the program that Coach K has built over decades. We should feel very lucky to have been part of the ride, even if there was no storybook ending.

Looking forward to next year and you never know, maybe with a deeper team mixed in with more experience, we might be able to mold together a national title contender.

AZLA
04-01-2019, 01:26 AM
I felt like today could have been the championship game. And Duke had every chance of winning. It’s been a fun season and one that we could get behind what seemed to be a good core group of young men. I invested more into this season, figuratively and literally. Was lucky to see Duke play up close and behind the scenes in Maui. Even before the season, this team’s personality and enthusiasm was infectious. Even Coach K seemed extra content and energized by this team. And as talented as they were, it was their joy for playing for each other, and for a great Coach, that embraced for me what it was all about. Putting away the blown Nike, the player rankings, and the mega contracts on the horizon — we got to see something different on and off the court. This whole season the team was chasing the unrepeatable performance of the Kentucky game. At the same time, their best performance was actually perhaps in the last ten minutes of the Louisville game, coming back, down 23. Or when out of nowhere, Cam drilled a 3 at the buzzer to beat the Noles. There have been a few headscratcher games, but there were more brilliant wins. Plenty of injuries — too many — but not bad enough to keep a good player down too long. But somehow they eked past UNC to get to the ACC finals and win it. Then they battle hard against UCF and Virginia Tech and barely win. But always supporting each other and with smiles on their faces. Who knows, maybe after those two games they were on borrowed time; or were just one alley oop away to Zion from getting an 11 point lead against MSU and turning it wide open, then barreling through the Final Four to a championship? Going into these games it was clear that as talented as this team was, they were more than beatable, but they were a true team that we could all get behind, and they were going to be tough to beat. What a season... my favorite memory will be when Zion jumped for his 360 dunk and RJ was jumping right behind him cheering him on — followed a few months later by The reverse image of RJ doing a reverse dunk and Zion jumping right behind him in celebration. That to me was the essence of the season that defines a truly memorable team, championship or not. Cant wait to see them playing again, even if it is in the pros. Peace out.

WHOneedsSOX
04-01-2019, 01:51 AM
Can't get over thinking that's the last time we'll ever see Zion in a Duke jersey. Guy was absolutely the most fun player I've ever watched. My goodness his athleticism was insane. But that's not even the best attribute he has. His hustle, will to win, and joy of the game is unmatched. Still can't get over how he only had 1 shot in the final 6 minutes of the game. He's so unselfish but he needed to sit on the block and demand they give him the ball. He really should've had at least 5 more shots today. A few of his games will be on my DVR until it breaks.

Best of luck Zion, RJ, Cam, and Tre at the next level (although I think it's possible Tre comes back). It was a great season even though it ended this way. I do believe Duke is the best team in the nation but unfortunately they didn't bring their "A" game today. That's the way March Madness works.

proelitedota
04-01-2019, 01:54 AM
The season was special. The only letdowns were the period in which Zion was out. Damn you Nike!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2019, 06:07 AM
This team was so much fun to watch. I can't help but feel that if Zion doesn't get hurt, we don't have so many close games the last few weeks. Maybe we develop that "step on the throat" mentality that doesn't let teams hang around. We never quite got there.

Very enjoyable season. Proud of the kids and the coaches.

I'm certainly not ordering a Sweet 16 shirt though.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-01-2019, 06:37 AM
Can't get over thinking that's the last time we'll ever see Zion in a Duke jersey. Guy was absolutely the most fun player I've ever watched. My goodness his athleticism was insane. But that's not even the best attribute he has. His hustle, will to win, and joy of the game is unmatched. Still can't get over how he only had 1 shot in the final 6 minutes of the game. He's so unselfish but he needed to sit on the block and demand they give him the ball. He really should've had at least 5 more shots today.

Yep! This comment ^ hits just about all the right notes...Zion was the most fun ever...incredible.....and yet, why did he disappear down the stretch? His fault? RJ's? Ks? Was he discouraged at all the contact inside with no calls? All of the above?

Amazing year with Zion. Empty ending. There is a lot to like about this season, but it's gonna take me a while to get there....

Devilwin
04-01-2019, 08:04 AM
I agree with HBCK. Something just didn't seem right about Zion not getting the ball when we needed him most. The result was clear..

Reddevil
04-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Thank you ACC Champions! Some people discount this, but I still see it as a big deal. Maybe it's generation thing, but winning the ACC Tournament is awesome. I realize other goals are important, but that is a very big feather in the cap and this makes two in a row.

freshmanjs
04-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Thank you ACC Champions! Some people discount this, but I still see it as a big deal. Maybe it's generation thing, but winning the ACC Tournament is awesome. I realize other goals are important, but that is a very big feather in the cap and this makes two in a row.

Two in a row of what? We didn’t win the ACC Tournament last year.

Reddevil
04-01-2019, 09:21 AM
Two in a row of what? We didn’t win the ACC Tournament last year.

Wow, I guess I blocked out last year. It still feels like the four wins in four days just happened. Okay so 2 out of 3. My point is being ACC Champions is a great source of pride.

dukebluesincebirth
04-01-2019, 09:28 AM
When you have this much talent on a team, and a generational talent in Zion, it's championship or bust. Unfortunately, we busted. I don't know what I'll takeaway from this season. Lots of you call this team "fun." I guess maybe this will teach me to start adjusting my expectations from winning championships to just having fun watching exciting plays regardless of actual winning. Sure, it's fun to watch dunks, but that's never really satisfied me with Duke basketball. We hunt banners. We hunt championships. This doesn't feel fun, it feels like an incredible disappointment. When you throw in occasional injuries to an already short season, plus a single elimination tournament, these freshmen don't have enough time to learn what it takes to win it all. We don't have a Quinn Cook every year who is good enough to lead on the court with his play, AND also a senior leader emotionally and mentally in the locker room. It just doesn't usually work out that way. Oh well, it's over. Thanks for all the highlight reel plays. Unfortunately, I think they'll do more to remind me of all the talent we had without making the Final 4.

killerleft
04-01-2019, 10:10 AM
This team was so much fun to watch. I can't help but feel that if Zion doesn't get hurt, we don't have so many close games the last few weeks. Maybe we develop that "step on the throat" mentality that doesn't let teams hang around. We never quite got there.

Very enjoyable season. Proud of the kids and the coaches.

I'm certainly not ordering a Sweet 16 shirt though.

Me, either. But, to me, the ACC Championship is worth it. Championships matter.

Dukehk
04-01-2019, 10:10 AM
I'm going to really miss this group. They were special. I was pretty deeply invested in this season and this whole run, probably right from the kentucky game onwards. They exceeded all of the preseason expectations and then some. Lets not forget how cautious we were of this group before they played a game. The Bagley/Carter/Duval/Trent group really had done a number on us. Then in literally one game (or even 10 minutes into it!) all those doubts were thrown out the window as we slaughtered the wildcats in a manner that had never happened in the history of their program.

Its been a day or so after the game and its still bothering me a lot. Not so much that we lost, but that these kids deserved more and that I find myself yearning to see them play and interact with each other one more time! The way they captured the imagination was surreal. This is coming from someone who has seen all of the championship teams from 90's onwards. I'm a grown arse man and I feel like a teenager who just can't get enough of his first date.

I know some people might think the whole "Brotherhood" thing is corny (especially non-Duke fans) but this group really embodied that ethos. Starting with Zion and RJ of course! Lets not forget that Cam and Tre also had a special bond as well. This group genuinely liked each other and there was no animosity or jealousy whatsoever. Its a rare thing to have in this day and age of "me first AAU basketball".

We are really lucky to have been a part of this season and although there is no storybook ending, I'm pretty sure all the guys who were part of this team will go on to great success, either at Duke or on the next level.

This team will go down as one of my all-time favorites, maybe even just as much as some of our championship winning squads. Similar to the 1999 team, I still think we were the best team in College Basketball this year but unfortunately you don't get to play a 7 game series like in the pros.

Thank you 2019 Duke Blue Devils for bringing back the fun and reminding us fans why we are very lucky to be part of this program.

thewoosh31
04-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Agree with previous posts in thanking this team for how they played with and for each other. It definitely made me reminisce about 2015 and 2010 and 2001 and what could have been in 1999, 2002, and 2011.

I've been a fan since 1998 when I enrolled as a freshman and it's been a crazy ride, with more heartache than joy. I guess it comes with the territory and also it is a privilege to be part of a premiere program such as ours that wins way more often than not.

This season felt like 2011 in some aspects with us not having a full healthy roster since early February, which I think just killed our continuity to develop further as a team, and hone our ability to "kill" like "killers" do. It leaves you with a feeling of "oh man...what could have been..." The wheels fell off (way too many close games at the end of the season, acc tourney, and the ncaas), and concludes imho that OAD championships are a fluke and not worth pursuing if we don't have senior leadership on the team to complement them. Experience can outperform inexperienced talent easily in these survive and advance situations.

With all that said, it doesn't take away from what these kids accomplished in four short months. Simply incredible and fun to watch when they were playing well and getting better through the growing pains.

As I have gotten older, I've simply found less pleasure in following sports and other hobbies that I used to be obsessive about (i.e., music) as I have had less time to enjoy them and other life priorities that are much more important (my own health, my parents' health, my wife, etc.). Looking back on my time as a fan, I'm just incredibly grateful that I witnessed 3 national titles in my lifetime as a fan. And now I am evaluating if these games are worth my time and emotional investment going forward. 80+ hours of watching games and then countless more reading articles and forum posts every year. Is it really worth the time that I have left with my loved ones? I didn't even watch the game yesterday. I chose to spend that time going out to a wonderful dinner with my parents, my cousin, and my wife to celebrate the wife's birthday and also to help her feel loved and not alone on the 3rd anniversary of her mother's death from cancer.

We could not have lost to a better team or coach in Mich St. UNC and UK both didn't get farther than us. We avenged all of our losses to ACC teams. We won the ACC tourney.

I'm fine with whoever wins the tourney out of the teams that are left and will be very happy for them.

And next season, I will cut down on my time investing into the season. I will root for us always but not be so obsessive and emotionally dependent on our winning. In fact, I may even watch the NBA a little now that Zion and etc., will be in the league. I haven't been this excited about a player since the MJ days.

jv001
04-01-2019, 11:21 AM
A special thank you to this season's team. They seemed to have a special bond and they were fun to watch. I'll not forget Zions great play and his love for the game of basketball. They belong in my favorite team list: 1964, 1986, 1992, 1999, 2001, 2010 and now this team.

GoDuke!

scottdude8
04-01-2019, 12:08 PM
I loved this team so much (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/4/1/18290568/scotts-take-on-dukes-season-2019-ncaa-tournament-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-tre-jones-cam-reddish). I can't think of a group that "deserved" (however you want to define that word) the historic recognition of a Final Four/National Title more than these boys. And getting to see them live in Canada made that connection even stronger. It hurts a ton today, and probably will hate watching MSU in the Final Four next weekend, but in the long run we'll all have special memories from this year that no other group could've given us, and no sane person would trade for anything. Thank you for everything boys.

flyingdutchdevil
04-01-2019, 01:16 PM
I loved this team so much (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/4/1/18290568/scotts-take-on-dukes-season-2019-ncaa-tournament-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-tre-jones-cam-reddish). I can't think of a group that "deserved" (however you want to define that word) the historic recognition of a Final Four/National Title more than these boys. And getting to see them live in Canada made that connection even stronger. It hurts a ton today, and probably will hate watching MSU in the Final Four next weekend, but in the long run we'll all have special memories from this year that no other group could've given us, and no sane person would trade for anything. Thank you for everything boys.

I'm kinda confused what you mean by "deserved". To me, this team didn't "deserve" a title. Why? Because they didn't win the ACC Reg season, they had an insanely close 2nd round game, they had an insanely close S16 game, and they lost the E8 game. And it's that last point that's critical; they lost fair and square to a disciplined, experienced, well-coached MSU team.

It sucks we lost. But I don't think this team "deserved" the natty. The team that wins 6 games in a row does.

scottdude8
04-01-2019, 02:03 PM
I'm kinda confused what you mean by "deserved". To me, this team didn't "deserve" a title. Why? Because they didn't win the ACC Reg season, they had an insanely close 2nd round game, they had an insanely close S16 game, and they lost the E8 game. And it's that last point that's critical; they lost fair and square to a disciplined, experienced, well-coached MSU team.

It sucks we lost. But I don't think this team "deserved" the natty. The team that wins 6 games in a row does.

Yeah, deserved is a tough word to nail down, so I probably overplayed my hand there. By deserve I meant that these guys played hard, played the right way, and were probably the "best" team in college basketball this year when at full strength (again, best is probably a loaded word... semantics are tough, haha). But the best team obviously doesn't always win, which is the beauty/pain of March Madness.

flyingdutchdevil
04-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Yeah, deserved is a tough word to nail down, so I probably overplayed my hand there. By deserve I meant that these guys played hard, played the right way, and were probably the "best" team in college basketball this year when at full strength (again, best is probably a loaded word... semantics are tough, haha). But the best team obviously doesn't always win, which is the beauty/pain of March Madness.

Okay. That's fair. I agree they played hard, played the right way, and were the "best" team in college basketball. Just like Kentucky was the "best" team in college basketball in 2015. And, like you said, the best team doesn't always win.

mattman91
04-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Am I the only one who feels that Vrankovic should have his own "thank you" thread?

rocketeli
04-01-2019, 02:18 PM
When you have this much talent on a team, and a generational talent in Zion, it's championship or bust. Unfortunately, we busted. I don't know what I'll takeaway from this season. Lots of you call this team "fun." I guess maybe this will teach me to start adjusting my expectations from winning championships to just having fun watching exciting plays regardless of actual winning. Sure, it's fun to watch dunks, but that's never really satisfied me with Duke basketball. We hunt banners. We hunt championships. This doesn't feel fun, it feels like an incredible disappointment. When you throw in occasional injuries to an already short season, plus a single elimination tournament, these freshmen don't have enough time to learn what it takes to win it all. We don't have a Quinn Cook every year who is good enough to lead on the court with his play, AND also a senior leader emotionally and mentally in the locker room. It just doesn't usually work out that way. Oh well, it's over. Thanks for all the highlight reel plays. Unfortunately, I think they'll do more to remind me of all the talent we had without making the Final 4.

I was reading the thread to see how soon someone got negative in the appreciation thread and congratulations! You are the w(h)in(n)er.

Onlyduke
04-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the players from the 2018-19 Duke Blue Devils Team .... I'm going to miss you all like crazy!

Zion, you are a one in a million player and person! Godspeed on your next journey.

BeachBlueDevil
04-01-2019, 04:41 PM
This loss hasn't bothered me... YET. I think once next season rolls around it will. I'll realize that i miss Zion dunking on people, RJ closing out a close game, or Cam making a big 3 like he did against FSU. Heck, up until a few years ago I finally got past missing JJ and his 3s he'd make in transition.

They say, "absence makes the heart grow fonder" and I think that will hold true here.

CDu
04-01-2019, 04:56 PM
This team was among my most favorite to watch. Largely because of Zion and his otherworldly exploits, but also because of how well we played defense and scored in transition. We were ELITE on defense, and predatory on the break. I am very sad we will not see them play another game.