PDA

View Full Version : Duke is likable again - or not!

CameronBornAndBred
03-30-2019, 01:13 PM
Duke is far and away the most hated team in all of college basketball, right?
Well, maybe we have gotten a season off.

As he’s dunked his way into America’s heart, Williamson has also altered the perception of Duke. Perhaps temporarily, but certainly distinctly. Duke has long been America’s most loathed team, often watched only with hopes of seeing them lose. But with Williamson’s college basketball career having just 120 possible minutes remaining, it’s clear this Duke team has taken on a much different tenor publicly.

“I'm just glad that people are attentive to what we do,” he (Coach K) said. “And if they're attentive to what we do, it must be that we're pretty good at doing it. But this group is a group that can be liked by a lot — if you like basketball, you should like these kids. Whether you like me or not, that's another question.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/zion-williamsons-big-night-highlights-his-greatest-duke-achievement-044856321.html

devildeac
03-30-2019, 01:31 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/zion-williamsons-big-night-highlights-his-greatest-duke-achievement-044856321.html

Mrs. dd just watched another Zion interview from last PM and is even more impressed with this young man. Thankfully, it's improved but you still have a huge volume of haters like goodman, espn and morons like IC who grouse (and not even sagely:eek:) about how we still get all the calls yet ignore the glaringly obvious errors that we've all discussed here during and after the last 2 games.

WakeDevil
03-30-2019, 04:19 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/29/duke-basketball-black-fans-etan-thomas

Now Duke? Duke was the enemy. The antithesis of what we loved and aspired to. They’d won the national championship the season before the Fab Five came together, but in our minds Duke embodied the privileged, spoiled team that had everything given to them. The referees cheated for them, mainstream America loved them … and we hated everything about them. (Though everyone always admitted Grant Hill was cool.)

BlueDevilBrowns
03-30-2019, 04:29 PM
My biggest takeaway here:

Apparently Mike Dunleavy Jr is African-American.

Who knew?

devildeac
03-30-2019, 04:45 PM

Who knew?

duke4ever19
03-30-2019, 05:18 PM

If the most recent "One Shining Podcast" episode is any indicator, lots of people HATE Duke, Zion or no Zion. In fact, they dislike Duke so much that they said this team is actually "a bad basketball team." They said it several times and no, it wasn't sarcasm. Those two dudes legit think we are a bad basketball team. Oh, and we aren't that good at defense either, just so we're all clear.

Of course, about 20 minutes later, they follow this up by saying, "This looks like 2015 all over again." Duke is going to blow out Michigan State and take down whoever else is in their way.

And a few minutes after comments like that: "Literally any of these teams could win and I wouldn't be a surprised."

Worst podcast I'ver heard. The first -- and last -- time I listen to it. Most applicable instance of irrational Duke hating for it's own sake. They don't even attempt to be fair.

KandG
03-30-2019, 05:53 PM
If the most recent "One Shining Podcast" episode is any indicator, lots of people HATE Duke, Zion or no Zion. In fact, they dislike Duke so much that they said this team is actually "a bad basketball team." They said it several times and no, it wasn't sarcasm. Those two dudes legit think we are a bad basketball team. Oh, and we aren't that good at defense either, just so we're all clear.

Most applicable instance of irrational Duke hating for it's own sake. They don't even attempt to be fair.

I don't know where the temperature of Duke love/hate is these days, but I wouldn't use One Shining Podcast as a means to measure it. Tate Frazier is a rabid UNC fan, and Titus loves to take his own digs (though a fair number are tongue in cheek). Bill Simmons, who runs the Ringer network where the podcast originates, is happy to have them go at Duke routinely.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-30-2019, 06:18 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/29/duke-basketball-black-fans-etan-thomas

Now Duke? Duke was the enemy. The antithesis of what we loved and aspired to. They’d won the national championship the season before the Fab Five came together, but in our minds Duke embodied the privileged, spoiled team that had everything given to them. The referees cheated for them, mainstream America loved them … and we hated everything about them. (Though everyone always admitted Grant Hill was cool.)

but.....but.....but.......some here insist Duke wasn't hated til 2001.........

rsvman
03-30-2019, 06:37 PM
Nah, they still hate us and hate us with a passion.

I took the liberty of reading a national story about last night's game and then casually perused the comments. Apparently Virginia Tech lost because it was 8 on 5.
How could Zion not have fouled out? He plays like he's playing football. Obviously the NCAA and CBS wants Duke to win it all, because we are their "pet program."

There was no mention of any fouling by Blackshear whatsoever.

duke4ever19
03-30-2019, 06:47 PM
I don't know where the temperature of Duke love/hate is these days, but I wouldn't use One Shining Podcast as a means to measure it. Tate Frazier is a rabid UNC fan, and Titus loves to take his own digs (though a fair number are tongue in cheek). Bill Simmons, who runs the Ringer network where the podcast originates, is happy to have them go at Duke routinely.

Ah, well that explains it. I just downloaded it and a few other podcasts for a bike ride and couldn't believe what I was listening to. It's like I had accidentally downloaded the IC podcast.

So they do that routinely?

KandG
03-30-2019, 06:58 PM
Ah, well that explains it. I just downloaded it and a few other podcasts for a bike ride and couldn't believe what I was listening to. It's like I had accidentally downloaded the IC podcast.

So they do that routinely?

Honestly, I wouldn't know because I only listen to it when I'm in the mood for a little more college ball than is available on other podcasts, which isn't often. But Frazier is the walking stereotype of an IC poster on all platforms (social media & podcasts).

I like Titus as a writer because I think his love of college basketball and his sense of humor translates better on the page/screen, but when paired with Frazier on a podcast the times I've listened, it seems like they just reinforce each other's worst tendencies.

KenTankerous
03-30-2019, 07:03 PM
I'm just a hilljack raised by country folk in the only place you can grow up with more concrete than cow poop in Kentucky, Downtown Louisville.I was a lima bean in a bucket of chocolate. But I grew up blue, UK blue, in a sea of Cardinal Red. Then I read a few books, got educated on the game and this dude, Coach K emerged with Five Fingers. Then I started point guard my senior year AND weak side safety the second half (I sucked, we had injuries)

Y'all may think you are most hated, and if that works for you, fine. But I'm out here in the hateland, living large on the ideas that we OK, really. In my 2010 championship hoodie in Gonzaga Land. Lost my 2015...

Point is, yeah, championships are great but Duke wins Everyday. How many diseases are cured? How many kids are just better? How deep is the community greater? How Finer is the life?

Imma stop now.

y'all should too

HereBeforeCoachK
03-30-2019, 07:03 PM

Who knew?

Is he governor of Virginia???

HereBeforeCoachK
03-30-2019, 07:05 PM
Nah, they still hate us and hate us with a passion.

I took the liberty of reading a national story about last night's game and then casually perused the comments. Apparently Virginia Tech lost because it was 8 on 5.
How could Zion not have fouled out? He plays like he's playing football. Obviously the NCAA and CBS wants Duke to win it all, because we are their "pet program."

There was no mention of any fouling by Blackshear whatsoever.

I really wish Duke SID would push back against this....release a few Tweets with bad calls on Duke......

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2019, 07:12 PM
I really wish Duke SID would push back against this...release a few Tweets with bad calls on Duke...

Tweets from the University itself on bad calls after a win? You think the public dislikes us now?

uh_no
03-30-2019, 07:13 PM
I really wish Duke SID would push back against this...release a few Tweets with bad calls on Duke...

if you try to drag them through the mud, all you get is dirty.

-jk
03-30-2019, 07:21 PM
I'm just a hilljack raised by country folk in the only place you can grow up with more concrete than cow poop in Kentucky, Downtown Louisville.I was a lima bean in a bucket of chocolate. But I grew up blue, UK blue, in a sea of Cardinal Red. Then I read a few books, got educated on the game and this dude, Coach K emerged with Five Fingers. Then I started point guard my senior year AND weak side safety the second half (I sucked, we had injuries)

Y'all may think you are most hated, and if that works for you, fine. But I'm out here in the hateland, living large on the ideas that we OK, really. In my 2010 championship hoodie in Gonzaga Land. Lost my 2015...

Point is, yeah, championships are great but Duke wins Everyday. How many diseases are cured? How many kids are just better? How deep is the community greater? How Finer is the life?

Imma stop now.

y'all should too

I love being relevant. If that means being hated (as well as loved - we tend to top both lists), so be it.

I've been a Duke fan when we weren't relevant. It's not so much fun.

And I don't look forward to the next time!

-jk

BLPOG
03-30-2019, 08:13 PM

Sure, if they wanted to to say, "We have no self-respect or self-confidence, and are whiney losers who put great stock in the opinions of morons."