PDA

View Full Version : Cam Reddish Knee Vigil

richardjackson199
03-30-2019, 12:19 AM
Look at the bright side. We're still alive to keep having new injury vigils.

Get well Soon Cam! We kneed you

bullettoothtony
03-30-2019, 12:21 AM
What the heck... what happened to him?

How on earth can one program be so snakebitten with injuries???

Dukehk
03-30-2019, 12:22 AM
Coach said it literally happened right before the game and Cam felt something wrong with his knee. They had practiced and prepared all week long with Cam in the lineup.

Didn't elaborate on the time frame or extent of the injury though.

Praying that its nothing serious and he can come back next game. We need him badly.

simplyluvin
03-30-2019, 12:31 AM
Need Cam back! Praying for a quick recovery. Anyone know what the issue is yet?

uh_no
03-30-2019, 12:34 AM
Need Cam back! Praying for a quick recovery. Anyone know what the issue is yet?

K said no idea in his presser.

bundabergdevil
03-30-2019, 12:37 AM
K said no idea in his presser.

He also said he didn’t know if Cam would play on Sunday. What a weird thing - have to imagine more info will come out.

Bluedog
03-30-2019, 12:38 AM
He also said he didn’t think Cam would play on Sunday. What a weird thing - have to imagine more info will come out.

Did he say that in the presser? What I watched, he simply said he didn’t know.

goduke03861
03-30-2019, 12:39 AM
He also said he didn’t think Cam would play on Sunday. What a weird thing - have to imagine more info will come out.

No he didn't.

WHOneedsSOX
03-30-2019, 12:39 AM

Yikes, I sure hope RJ, Tre, and Zion can play another 40. Especially Tre who had to chase Robinson around tonight and will get Winston Sunday.

bundabergdevil
03-30-2019, 12:41 AM
Did he say that in the presser? What I watched, he simply said he didn’t know.

You’re right, watched it again. He said he doesn’t know. Apologies for the misfire. Still odd.

uh_no
03-30-2019, 12:42 AM
Yikes, I sure hope RJ, Tre, and Zion can play another 40. Especially Tre who had to chase Robinson around tonight and will get Winston Sunday.

don't worry yet. K didn't say that.

brianl
03-30-2019, 01:03 AM
I’m wondering if the injury occurred during pregame excitement where two players jump into each other.
It’s happened to several players in different sports. Let’s hope that whatever the injury,that’s it’s minor.

Hartford Dukie
03-30-2019, 01:05 AM
Here is Cam jumping up and down before the game.

https://twitter.com/dukembb/status/1111800175931150338?s=21

sagegrouse
03-30-2019, 01:11 AM
He's young. He'll wake up tomorrow AM and be fine.

kAzE
03-30-2019, 01:14 AM

I desperately hope you're right. I take no pleasure in saying this, but I'm 100% confident that we're not winning a national championship without a healthy Cam Reddish. He's just too damn important to this team on both ends of the floor.

Please be okay, Cam!!

TruBlu
03-30-2019, 01:15 AM
Perhaps someone at the game can provide some insight into when/how Cam came up gimpy?

subzero02
03-30-2019, 01:25 AM
Perhaps someone at the game can provide some insight into when/how Cam came up gimpy?

I was under the impression that the injury occurred prior to warmups for the Vatech game.

roywhite
03-30-2019, 01:27 AM
BandAlum83 had a post (#405 in the pre-game, in-game thread) at 4:45 PM that said:

Some of the comments on twitter point out and you can see in the short vid also that Cam seems to be limping and has a soft brace on his left knee.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

KandG
03-30-2019, 01:29 AM

I really want you to be right. But that is totally bizarre that he was jumping up and down in the huddle right before the game, and then is ruled out at halftime. Frankly, not a good sign if he really couldn't do anything all of a sudden on the knee after zero contact.

But I'm going to send every positive vibe I can toward that knee between now and Sunday.

richardjackson199
03-30-2019, 02:25 AM
BandAlum83 had a post (#405 in the pre-game, in-game thread) at 4:45 PM that said:

Some of the comments on twitter point out and you can see in the short vid also that Cam seems to be limping and has a soft brace on his left knee.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

This. It seems unlikely that it happened immediately before the game because there was concern about it and a knee brace Friday afternoon. Maybe they thought he was ok and found out right before the game that he wasn't.

Hope he gets 100% fast.

richardjackson199
03-30-2019, 02:38 AM
This article has a few more comments on Reddish from players, K, etc:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26393249/duke-reddish-hobbled-knee-misses-win

devildeac
03-30-2019, 02:45 AM
Maybe he can get the flu...

(sorry, that's about all I got at ~245 AM :o)

Heal quickly, young man!

JetpackJesus
03-30-2019, 03:00 AM
Maybe he can get the flu...

(sorry, that's about all I got at ~245 AM :o)

Heal quickly, young man!

At least he's not recovering in the Triangle (yet), unlike some players.

Lewis1112
03-30-2019, 07:24 AM
Twitter seems to suggest he hurt it late Thursday in practice, they were hoping icing would help, had a brace on Friday.

YmoBeThere
03-30-2019, 07:27 AM
Twitter seems to suggest he hurt it late Thursday in practice, they were hoping icing would help, had a brace on Friday.

Hmmm, maybe he should have taken more of an AI* approach to the event?

*He of Georgetown fame

wgl1228
03-30-2019, 07:29 AM
It’s funny, some reporter on twitter yesterday posted a video of the team kneeling and then getting up after some words from the coaches and they noticed him limping. It was minor so I didn’t think much of it. Crazy.

nmduke2001
03-30-2019, 07:56 AM
The whole situation seems bizarre. How can Coach K not know until right before the game that one of his starters is not to play?

I know some people are down on Cam, but he is an ELITE defensive player. His steals and deflections lead to transition points that fuel this team. His length allows him to close out on jump shooters. Offensively, his been hit and miss (pun intended) but the opposition has to account for his shooting ability. That opens up space for RJ and Zion.

If Cam can’t go, I don’t think Duke wins this championship.

uh_no
03-30-2019, 08:12 AM
The whole situation seems bizarre. How can Coach K not know until right before the game that one of his starters is not to play?

they knew he was injured on thursday. I think the more truthful statement would have been "they didn't know FOR SURE that he couldn't go until right before the game". It was gamesmanship, and i'm sure we won't hear anything about his status until gametime on sunday.

WVDUKEFAN
03-30-2019, 08:19 AM

I know some people are down on Cam, but he is an ELITE defensive player. His steals and deflections lead to transition points that fuel this team. His length allows him to close out on jump shooters. Offensively, his been hit and miss (pun intended) but the opposition has to account for his shooting ability. That opens up space for RJ and Zion.

If Cam can’t go, I don’t think Duke wins this championship.

I think we can semi compensate for the loss on defense, but AOC has to score. We can’t lose a man on both sides of the ball. White would help as well.

Utley
03-30-2019, 09:08 AM
Cam came out with the tram for the first warm ups. I had thought he did the lay up drill but want specifically focused on him and don’t see him there in the pictures I took. I do remember him at center court working with one of the athletic staff running sideways from side to side. It seemed like that was when he decided he couldn’t play. He didn’t come out for second warm ups.

It looked like a close call. Not to say that I think he will play Sunday but it sure didn’t seem like something that would rule him out at this point. I’m guessing a game time decision.

Right before tip Zion and RJ came over and gave him a special hug - it was a nice moment.

Jay29
03-30-2019, 09:46 AM
a special hug
I hear that's where babies come from.

I bet we don't hear anything until just before tip again. We desparately need at least one of Cam or Jack to play tomorrow.

AGDukesky
03-30-2019, 10:02 AM
The night is a bit of a blur, but I felt like Cam came out normally to warmups and went thru layup lines. He may have stopped midway. When the team came out the second time he definitely never left the bench.

FerryFor50
03-30-2019, 10:15 AM
The night is a bit of a blur, but I felt like Cam came out normally to warmups and went thru layup lines. He may have stopped midway. When the team came out the second time he definitely never left the bench.

What was weird to me was the comments that “he wasn’t starting.” I never heard them rule him out completely.

Sounds like he might have been able to play in an emergency.

MChambers
03-30-2019, 10:22 AM

I saw Cam in the layup, moving pretty gingerly.

sagegrouse
03-30-2019, 10:39 AM
I think we can semi compensate for the loss on defense, but AOC has to score. We can’t lose a man on both sides of the ball. White would help as well.

Maybe dealt with previously, but why didn't Jack white get more minutes? It's not like Alex was doing anything on offense. I presume that Jack still has some physical limitations.

MChambers
03-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Maybe dealt with previously, but why didn't Jack white get more minutes? It's not like Alex was doing anything on offense. I presume that Jack still has some physical limitations.

Jack gave it a try, but didn't move well and at one point grabbed his leg. He then rode a bike the rest of the game. He would have played only in an emergency. I assume he won't be able to play tomorrow, or at least not effectively. On the good side, he was making threes in warmups.

OldPhiKap
03-30-2019, 10:55 AM
FWIW AOC started in Blacksburg when Zion was out. K must like the match-up of a smaller line-up v. VT.

johnb
03-30-2019, 11:01 AM
Like backs, knees can be serious, but they can also be quirky. Without more info, it’s hard to know whether Cam might just pop out of it.

Vegas withheld a line until they got clarity on the Auburn star. I’m thinking the loss of Cam is enough to shift us from modest favorite to modest underdog. Obviously, we can still win, but it then requires R.J. and Z to both play like 1st team A-A’s and for other players to play at their highest level—this is do-able but a lot to expect. And I agree that the loss of Cam would be at least as painful from a defensive standpoint as it would be from the viewpoints of offensive spacing, transition, and scoring.

Leaving aside the team for a second.

We’ve talked a lot about whether Zion should/would come back from his injury. But since Christmas, short of catastrophe, Z was destined to be the 1st pick with lots of endorsements.

Cam, otoh, has a LOT to gain and lose in the next 10 days. A mediocre game or 3 would cost him a lot, as would exacerbating an injury. At the same time, a few good games—especially as a shooter—would reassure teams that he’s likely to succeed under bright lights and ensure him a moderate fortune.

53n206
03-30-2019, 11:18 AM
a moderate fortune.

What is a moderate fortune? $10,000,000 to $15,000,000?

CameronBlue
03-30-2019, 12:50 PM
What is a moderate fortune?

Something you usually can't get with a UNC degree.

richardjackson199
03-30-2019, 01:41 PM

Hamstring injuries are tricky and can take a long time to heal. They're easy to re-aggravate if not fully healed. White was listed as doubtful before the game. I'm guessing with realizing that Cam was not going to play and Va Tech shooting lights out to start the game, White tried to be a captain and tried to help. But he probably realized quickly that he just couldn't do it.

Hamstring injuries can often come from overuse. 3 games in 3 days ACC Tourney came with a costly price. We may not see White again this season. So we need Cam to be healthy to win it all. Injury luck this season has been horrific.

If we can somehow find a way to get through Michigan State, that week off to heal more could be crucial. We can still do this.

Lewis1112
03-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Troll or maybe *possibly* legit???

https://twitter.com/optiongladiator/status/1112043838196121602?s=12

richardjackson199
03-30-2019, 01:47 PM
Troll or maybe *possibly* legit???

https://twitter.com/optiongladiator/status/1112043838196121602?s=12

Hope so. But I would put zero stock in that "per source." Zero.

uh_no
03-30-2019, 01:49 PM
Hope so. But I would put zero stock in that "per source." Zero.

someone who knows more than me: what is done on the off day? Light shoot-around and film/walkthrough?

If so, I can imagine it's somewhat hard to keep stuff secret. I can't imagine the team releasing any information about his status directly.

devildeac
03-30-2019, 01:55 PM
someone who knows more than me: what is done on the off day? Light shoot-around and film/walkthrough?

If so, I can imagine it's somewhat hard to keep stuff secret. I can't imagine the team releasing any information about his status directly.

My distant, distant memory recalls a Duke practice many years ago on the "off day" that was closed with the windows in the gym covered. I have no link. I'd have to agree that it would be a light workout/strategy session.

Any info is likely to be "day-to-day" and/or "unspecified lower body injury" and/or "game time decision."

I'm sure that's tremendously helpful :o.

uh_no
03-30-2019, 02:03 PM
My distant, distant memory recalls a Duke practice many years ago on the "off day" that was closed with the windows in the gym covered. I have no link. I'd have to agree that it would be a light workout/strategy session.

Any info is likely to be "day-to-day" and/or "unspecified lower body injury" and/or "game time decision."

you could fill in for K during pressers. nobody would be the wiser!

devildeac
03-30-2019, 02:04 PM

Correction: I could fill in for K and Cut! :rolleyes::o

WVDUKEFAN
03-30-2019, 03:15 PM
Correction: I could fill in for K and Cut! :rolleyes::o

Just read on DukeChronicle that it’s a game time decision.

KandG
03-30-2019, 03:17 PM
Yeah, sounds like it's going to be a last minute decision, though news is (very mildly) encouraging:

https://twitter.com/JSB_TV/status/1112069355729231878

Coach K says Cam Reddish will be a game time decision, undergoing treatment today. If he progresses, will try to get him to shoot. Has problem with knee, not structural. #Duke

devildeac
03-30-2019, 03:20 PM

Just read on DukeChronicle that it’s a game time decision.

Ha! Right again! Mrs. dd says that's twice this year so I'm waaaay ahead of last year's pace. :o

roywhite
03-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Did Cam go back to Durham for treatment?

-jk
03-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Did Cam go back to Durham for treatment?

My Papa referred him to Hopkins; he had some experience there and trusted them. ;)

-jk

devildeac
03-30-2019, 03:27 PM
Yeah, sounds like it's going to be a last minute decision, though news is (very mildly) encouraging:

Coach K says Cam Reddish will be a game time decision, undergoing treatment today. If he progresses, will try to get him to shoot. Has problem with knee, not structural. #Duke

As long as he doesn't contract c*rolina fever with its rapidly progressive (and likely fatal) course to idiocy (and Hades). :p

Lewis1112
03-30-2019, 03:27 PM
Per Pete Thamel Twitter:

“Just spoke to Cam Reddish in Duke locker room. He said he’s had issues with his left knee since first UNC game. He said he’d call it tendinitis but lacked a definite diagnosis. He said he’s done an unbelievable amount of treatment since last night. He has no idea if he’ll play.”

“Coach K didn't quite have a specific diagnosis. Mentioned "jumper's knee" and "tendinitis."

“Mike Krzyzewski says Cam Reddish will be a game-time decision. He has a problem with his knee, but it’s not structural.”

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1112072727555395584?s=12

richardjackson199
03-30-2019, 03:34 PM

I am very encouraged by this. K did not say doubtful. Not structural implies good news on an MRI. Gamesmanship is always likely, but I'm hopeful. If Cam can go with fresh, healthy legs, that would be Huge.

cato
03-30-2019, 03:35 PM
Per Pete Thamel Twitter:

“Just spoke to Cam Reddish in Duke locker room. He said he’s had issues with his left knee since first UNC game. He said he’d call it tendinitis but lacked a definite diagnosis. He said he’s done an unbelievable amount of treatment since last night. He has no idea if he’ll play.”

“Coach K didn't quite have a specific diagnosis. Mentioned "jumper's knee" and "tendinitis."

“Mike Krzyzewski says Cam Reddish will be a game-time decision. He has a problem with his knee, but it’s not structural.”

I translate that as: Cam has been struggling with knee pain, but has not torn anything. It got so bad on Friday, he could not play.

I have no sense of whether this is the type of thing that can resolve quickly.

devildeac
03-30-2019, 03:37 PM

Per Pete Thamel Twitter:

Great find! Thanks for sharing!

Ha! Nailed it again! Twice in one day! This is really getting dangerous:rolleyes:. Look out, billy:p. Now, if I could only figure out who the refs are for our game tomorrow and how they're going to adjucicate it :rolleyes:.

Lewis1112
03-30-2019, 03:45 PM
I think it’s mildly good news that it’s a chronic issue that he has been dealing with rather than something brand new / acute. Fingers crossed!

Lurkingdukedog
03-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Something you usually can't get with a UNC degree.

CameronBlue - those youtube links are insane!! Thanks for sharing!

richardjackson199
03-30-2019, 03:49 PM
Paging Billy:

If Cam has tendinitis in his left knee, any chance he could be healthy enough to play well Sunday with "lots of treatment" today?

-jk
03-30-2019, 03:51 PM
Paging Billy:

If Cam has tendinitis in his left knee, any chance he could be healthy enough to play well Sunday with "lots of treatment" today?

Ice baths work wonders on knees...

-jk

subzero02
03-30-2019, 03:56 PM
I think it’s mildly good news that it’s a chronic issue that he has been dealing with rather than something brand new / acute. Fingers crossed!

Even though it was a chronic knee issue, it sounds like something they could have better addressed before yesterday's game if they had been given a bit more warning time regarding the increase in pain/discomfort but I could be wrong. Hopefully we can have him ready to go on Sunday because we could really use his defense.

scottdude8
03-30-2019, 04:02 PM
If it is tendinitis, then something like a cortisone shot is a great short term solution (I have chronic tendinitis in my left knee, although it took forever to be properly diagnosed... but during that period they’d periodically give me cortisone shots to address the symptoms, if not the problem, and it almost always helped tremendously in the short term). That would actually make a lot of sense, because if he “tweaked” his knee before the game it would certainly hurt like heck, and there isn’t much to do in that short a time frame. But a full day of treatment could potentially get him up and running.

Again, just using my own anecdotal evidence and Cam’s own theory that it’s tendonitis. But if that’s the case there’s a lot of options going dorwRd it sounds like.

53n206
03-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Discussed Cam's knee with my daughter who specializes in rehabilitation medicine (about 20 years ago she spent her freshman year at Duke, but she found Duke too square, so she transferred to Reed College in Portland. Definitely not square). She said that cortisone injections to the knee is decreasing in use because more than three injections in a year might cause joint damage, cartilage surface. She says that protein rich plasma is frequently used now. Is not covered by medical insurance, but possibly the Duke basketball team could afford the treatment.

Troublemaker
03-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Discussed Cam's knee with my daughter who specializes in rehabilitation medicine (about 20 years ago she spent her freshman year at Duke, but she found Duke too square, so she transferred to Reed College in Portland. Definitely not square). She said that cortisone injections to the knee is decreasing in use because more than three injections in a year might cause joint damage, cartilage surface. She says that protein rich plasma is frequently used now. Is not covered by medical insurance, but possibly the Duke basketball team could afford the treatment.

hmmm, 3 games max left ;-)

devildeac
03-30-2019, 05:12 PM
hmmm, 3 games max left ;-)

Nah, I'm thinking one a year for the next 3 years...

coldriver10
03-30-2019, 05:13 PM
If it indeed is Jumper's knee, then it's the patellar tendon that's the issue, and the patellar tendon is extra-articular (outside the joint). So cartilage damage wouldn't be a concern. However, repeated cortisone injections can weaken the tendon, making it more prone to tearing. I don't think once or twice would cause a problem, but I'm not in orthopedics or sports medicine, so it's not my area of expertise.

johnb
03-30-2019, 05:21 PM
What is a moderate fortune? $10,000,000 to $15,000,000?

I’m thinking Cam goes between 4 and 10, and a lot of that depends on the next week.

According to this web site:
4th pick gets $17m over 3 years.
10th pick gets $10m over those 3 years.

After taxes, agent and expenses, I’m guessing he could save 25% of the gross, and that’s probably high.

Similarly, if Tre has 3 more games like last night, he could go lottery. If his upcoming game(s) are more akin to the Central Florida game, where he can’t hit a wide open jump shot, he seems much more likely to return to Duke or slide to the end of the first round.

Pick 15: 8 million over 3 years
Pick 30: 4.5 million over 3 years.

Obviously, these are huge amounts for a 20 year old (or anyone). But a “moderate fortune” implies money you actually have locked up in the bank and then could comfortably live on indefinitely. Especially if you don’t go past the first year of college, don’t get the 2nd contract, and then don’t get a lucrative job on ESPN or in coaching.

How much? I dunno.

Btw, I’m almost entirely interested in the game, but aside issue is that these players surely realize
the many different pressure they're facing.
Ref: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

cato
03-30-2019, 05:29 PM
If it indeed is Jumper's knee, then it's the patellar tendon that's the issue, and the patellar tendon is extra-articular (outside the joint). So cartilage damage wouldn't be a concern. However, repeated cortisone injections can weaken the tendon, making it more prone to tearing. I don't think once or twice would cause a problem, but I'm not in orthopedics or sports medicine, so it's not my area of expertise.

Cam said he’s been dealing with this for a while. I assume he had received treatment. That could have included cortisone injections.

Who knows? Most rhetorical, but . . .

cato
03-30-2019, 05:33 PM
I’m thinking Cam goes between 4 and 10, and a lot of that depends on the next week.

According to this web site:
4th pick gets $17m over 3 years.
10th pick gets $10m over those 3 years.

After taxes, agent and expenses, I’m guessing he could save 25% of the gross, and that’s probably high.

Similarly, if Tre has 3 more games like last night, he could go lottery. If his upcoming game(s) are more akin to the Central Florida game, where he can’t hit a wide open jump shot, he seems much more likely to return to Duke or slide to the end of the first round.

Pick 15: 8 million over 3 years
Pick 30: 4.5 million over 3 years.

Obviously, these are huge amounts for a 20 year old (or anyone). But a “moderate fortune” implies money you actually have locked up in the bank and then could comfortably live on indefinitely. Especially if you don’t go past the first year of college, don’t get the 2nd contract, and then don’t get a lucrative job on ESPN or in coaching.

How much? I dunno.

Btw, I’m almost entirely interested in the game, but aside issue is that these players surely realize
the many different pressure they're facing.
Ref: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

How do you figure he could save 25% gross? I wonder if there is a rule of thumb?

duke4ever19
03-30-2019, 05:52 PM

-jk

I recommend an ice bath, as a gallon's worth of acetaminophen pills are slowly stirred in with a large wooden paddle.

Kdogg
03-30-2019, 05:54 PM

-jk

Advise from Shane Battier (a twelve year vet at the time)

"A wise veteran once told me: 'Ice your knees after every game. It'll add three years to your career,'" Battier says. "I don't know if he was right or not, but I'm still here, so I'm not going to chance it."

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-30-2019, 06:06 PM
Advise from Shane Battier (a twelve year vet at the time)

"A wise veteran once told me: 'Ice your knees after every game. It'll add three years to your career,'" Battier says. "I don't know if he was right or not, but I'm still here, so I'm not going to chance it."

How about cryotherapy? Works for Lebron and Steph.

https://hoopshype.com/2017/10/21/how-nba-players-take-care-of-their-bodies-part-1-cryotherapy/

oldnavy
03-30-2019, 08:51 PM
I recommend an ice bath, as a gallon's worth of acetaminophen pills are slowly stirred in with a large wooden paddle.

You would want a NSAID for the anti-inflammatory properties... ibuprofen, naproxen, etc...

BandAlum83
03-30-2019, 09:04 PM

I seriously doubt that. DD would select the perfect paring appropriate for a post victory presser. DD would definitely have a mug or bottle in front of him. Or as an homage to the college culture, a red solo cup.

It would need to be an audio only presser to get one over on us.

uh_no
03-30-2019, 09:07 PM
I seriously doubt that. DD would select the perfect paring appropriate for a post victory presser. DD would definitely have a mug or bottle in front of him. Or as an homage to the college culture, a red solo cup.

Story:

In a turn of events, it seems instead of opening the floor to questions, DD has opened the floor to beer pong challengers, saying "c'mon, the interview tables it the perfect size! we just need to get these microphones out of the way."

At last knowledge, he was heard arguing with the chronicle writer about how many re-racks should be allowed.

quahog174
03-30-2019, 09:16 PM
You would want a NSAID for the anti-inflammatory properties... ibuprofen, naproxen, etc...

You’d also want to ingest it.

hsheffield
03-30-2019, 09:28 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26399284/duke-reddish-game-decision-vs-msu

says Cam thinks he tweaked his knee in practice Thursday

devildeac
03-30-2019, 09:48 PM

Nope. Gotta be a Duke blue solo cup. ;)

Most definitely as I have a great face for radio. :o

devildeac
03-30-2019, 09:50 PM
Story:

In a turn of events, it seems instead of opening the floor to questions, DD has opened the floor to beer pong challengers, saying "c'mon, the interview tables it the perfect size! we just need to get these microphones out of the way."

At last knowledge, he was heard arguing with the chronicle writer about how many re-racks should be allowed.

Re-racks or flights would make for an interesting discussion.

billy
03-30-2019, 11:23 PM
Paging Billy:

(Sorry for the delay! Just got back stateside and had to go to surgery this afternoon (not surgery on me :) )

Absolutely he could be healthy enough to play on Sunday. Somewhat surprising (to me) that he did not play yesterday, given the stakes and given K seemed baffled he "wasn't going to be able to play". As others have suggested, NSAID's, rehab, and cold therapy are the mainstays of treatment. PRP could help but would require some downtime - i.e. complete rest - probably not optimal at this point. Honestly, I don't think it would take a lot of treatment to feel well enough to play on Sunday. As long as there are no "structural issues", it's up to the athlete whether the pain precludes their play - there's no overt risk of injury by doing so. I have no idea what Duke's process is to determine whether players are "cleared to play" after the orthopedic team doc clears them. I can tell you that barring structural issues (meniscus, cartilage, ligament, whatever), most orthopedic surgeons would clear the athlete to play, pending the athlete "clearing" the athletic trainer's functional tests. It seems (again, to me) that the athletes have a very significant say in when they return. Chalk this one up to a litany of weird knee "injuries" affecting Duke players the last couple of years.

johnb
03-31-2019, 12:57 AM
How do you figure he could save 25% gross? I wonder if there is a rule of thumb?

Maybe the player could save/invest 25% of his gross income if he lived like a college student, but I’d guess 15% is more likely even with moderate financial literacy.

What sort of counseling do these players get?

construe
03-31-2019, 01:22 AM
Chalk this one up to a litany of weird knee "injuries" affecting Duke players the last couple of years.

You are so right, that even DBR sees that connection! (How depressing that history is...)

budwom
03-31-2019, 10:16 AM
I kind of thought K was sending a message yesterday when he said something to the effect that guys often play thru this kind of situation "but that wasn't the case today." But maybe i'm just way out in left field on this...

Dukehk
03-31-2019, 10:21 AM
I kind of thought K was sending a message yesterday when he said something to the effect that guys often play thru this kind of situation "but that wasn't the case today." But maybe i'm just way out in left field on this...

I read it as the same too.

Cam needs to play through the pain because this is the time when everyone needs to be counted for. There may not be a next game to play if he doesnt show up.

As long as it won't harm him long term and there is no structural damage, then there is every chance our world-class team of physios/staff will help him manage the pain and be able to play to the best of his situation. If anything, its a major boost in morale for the other guys too.

oldnavy
03-31-2019, 11:25 AM
You’d also want to ingest it.

Preferred, but also effective topically. My recommendation is a big dose of suck it up buttercup... put on your big boy shorts and play...

arnie
03-31-2019, 11:27 AM
I read it as the same too.

Cam needs to play through the pain because this is the time when everyone needs to be counted for. There may not be a next game to play if he doesnt show up.

As long as it won't harm him long term and there is no structural damage, then there is every chance our world-class team of physios/staff will help him manage the pain and be able to play to the best of his situation. If anything, its a major boost in morale for the other guys too.

I agree and NBA teams likely think it’s important that he plays. They read tea leaves too.

Bob Green
03-31-2019, 11:31 AM

I can tell you were a Navy Doc...standard practice no matter why one goes to sick call is to prescribe Motrin. ;)

oldnavy
03-31-2019, 11:34 AM
Vitamin M!!! I live on the stuff! 😄😄

BlueTeuf
03-31-2019, 11:35 AM
Vitamin M!

You beat me to it, but seemed only to reinforce the truth....

Kdogg
03-31-2019, 11:40 AM
Chalk this one up to a litany of weird knee "injuries" affecting Duke players the last couple of years.

Is this a new phenomenon? I remember knee and foot injuries through the late eighties and nineties. The running joke was to blame the floor at Cameron but that was replaced and we were still seeing them.

oldnavy
03-31-2019, 12:40 PM
Nick Ward says "nothing is going to keep me off the court".... referring to his injured hand. Well that's one way to deal with the aches and pains that come this time of year and when your team is playing THE most important game of the year....

jgehtland
03-31-2019, 01:04 PM
Or maybe his shot is way off when his knee is buckling and he can’t move laterally well and knows he’d be a liability on the court. And maybe we should take K and the young man at their word until we’re given ANY evidence that it isn’t as it is being described.

Sheesh.

COYS
03-31-2019, 01:10 PM
Or maybe his shot is way off when his knee is buckling and he can’t move laterally well and knows he’d be a liability on the court. And maybe we should take K and the young man at their word until we’re given ANY evidence that it isn’t as it is being described.

Sheesh.

I second this. I’m surprised so many seem to be speculating about Cam’s commitment and ability to differentiate between typical aches and pains vs actual injury.

Edouble
03-31-2019, 01:14 PM
I second this. I’m surprised so many seem to be speculating about Cam’s commitment and ability to differentiate between typical aches and pains vs actual injury.

Third. Not happy with a lot of the negativity around here in general.

I'm seeing a lot of names I don't recognize anyway.

I trust Cam to know if he can play or not. He's a member of the team and has been dreaming about playing in a game like this his whole life.

KandG
03-31-2019, 01:15 PM

Sheesh.

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with the "rub some dirt on it" approach to shaming Cam into playing, as we have no way of knowing how severe the pain or injury really is.

I'm sure it killed him not to play Friday night, and I don't doubt he's trying everything he can to play today if his body allows him to do so.

oldnavy
03-31-2019, 01:33 PM

Well we dont know do we, so we speculate based on what we are told. So far it is tendonitis... if it turns out to be something more substantial then that is a different discussion.
I am speculating that Nick Wards hand is sore and painful as well.... yet he is playing through it.
My speculation is as valid as the speculation that there is more to Cam's injury than we know. If it turns out that there is, then I will have been wrong and I will gladly say so.

Furniture
03-31-2019, 01:33 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeOfHoops/status/1112398230917181446

Plus he is wearing white...

scottdude8
03-31-2019, 01:35 PM
Obviously good news, although if it is tendonitis as far as I know a brace isn’t really the primary treatment. I won’t be confident until warmups.

53n206
03-31-2019, 01:37 PM
Cam has everything to gain just playing this game. He will if he can. He has pride, he has teammates, and he knows that the pro coaches and scouts are looking at him. He has absolutely nothing to gain by avoiding playing if he can do his best.
He has nothing to gain if physical limitations prevent him from doing his best

jamos14
03-31-2019, 01:38 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeOfHoops/status/1112398230917181446

Plus he is wearing white...

Yea BUT in the background it appears that AOC is wearing white too. (I'm assuming it's AOC because it's a Caucasian leg and Jack White won't be a starter even if Cam doesn't play)

DukieInKansas
03-31-2019, 01:39 PM
Vitamin M!!! I live on the stuff! 😄😄

Vitamin M!

You beat me to it, but seemed only to reinforce the truth...

Vitamin I in our family.

Furniture
03-31-2019, 01:43 PM
Yea BUT in the background it appears that AOC is wearing white too. (I'm assuming it's AOC because it's a Caucasian leg and Jack White won't be a starter even if Cam doesn't play)

Ah há! Well spotted!

curtis325
03-31-2019, 02:01 PM
Cam will not be 100%, but nobody is at this point in the season.

My gut tells me that he will play and contribute to a big Duke win. Can millions of bacteria be wrong about such a thing?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2019, 02:13 PM
Cam will not be 100%, but nobody is at this point in the season.

My gut tells me that he will play and contribute to a big Duke win. Can millions of bacteria be wrong about such a thing?

Love your optimism. Sporks!

cato
03-31-2019, 02:24 PM

Me too. Well, actually not surprised, but disappointed. It is a poor showing to call out a Duke player who has earned and held down a starting spot for Coach K for not being tough. This speculation is not a good look.

cato
03-31-2019, 02:28 PM
Obviously good news, although if it is tendonitis as far as I know a brace isn’t really the primary treatment. I won’t be confident until warmups.

Yeah, since K said no structural damage, a brace would not be needed for support. For some types of tendinitis people use straps to try to relieve some pressure on the tendon, but they’ve never worked for me, and I’m a lot smaller and less athletic than Cam. A lot.

My guess is that he needs to see how his knee reacts to warmups.

ns7
03-31-2019, 03:53 PM
Adam Rowe says K thinks Cam will play. Link to Twitter below.

https://twitter.com/DukeNBA/status/1112442144395022336?s=20

Bluedog
03-31-2019, 04:05 PM
"
Jeff Gravley
@jgravleyWRAL
·
34s
Reddish looks a guy who will play today barring any setbacks in warmups. Coach K says Cam feels better today"

Video of him running around.
https://mobile.twitter.com/jgravleyWRAL/status/1112445469932904455

Furniture
03-31-2019, 04:18 PM
Duke starters..
JonesBarrettO'ConnellWilliamsonDeLaurier