PDA

View Full Version : Duke has now defeated every ACC team it has played this season

DavidBenAkiva
03-30-2019, 12:10 AM
Lost to Syracuse, UNC, and Virginia Tech during the season but got revenge on Syracuse twice, and now against UNC and Virginia Tech during the postseason. When's the last time an ACC team has accomplished that?

uh_no
03-30-2019, 12:16 AM
Lost to Syracuse, UNC, and Virginia Tech during the season but got revenge on Syracuse twice, and now against UNC and Virginia Tech during the postseason. When's the last time an ACC team has accomplished that?

The Zion Rampage Revenge tour moves on to it's next city.

DavidBenAkiva
03-30-2019, 12:19 AM
Just need to knock of Gonzaga now to extract ultimate revenge.

But Michigan State is no joke.

duke2x
03-30-2019, 12:22 AM

1999? I mentioned this a few weeks ago on the jinx it thread. I was a little off. It's a Spartan request, but give the Devil his Purdue so our win streak against the ACC stays intact.

sagegrouse
03-30-2019, 12:29 AM

Thread title could be shortened: "Duke has now defeated every ACC team this season."

Dukehk
03-30-2019, 06:13 AM
It’s an amazing accomplishment and a testament to how good these kids are. Most our losses came undermanned. Today’s win over vtech was yet again without our full team.

Just praying we can somehow beat michigan state (possibly without cam) so we get a shot at the ultimate redemption. I’ve been predicting a final four rematch against the zags ever since we lost in Maui. If we win one more we get that rematch and I can assure you that this team will be so so so motivated for the revenge.

turnandburn55
03-30-2019, 07:42 AM
1999? I mentioned this a few weeks ago on the jinx it thread. I was a little off. It's a Spartan request, but give the Devil his Purdue so our win streak against the ACC stays intact.

Definitely did it in the 2001 Championship season - 3-1 against Maryland, 2-1 against the Cheaters, and split the series against the Hoos.

jhmoss1812
03-30-2019, 09:07 AM

Very impressive accomplishment. To answer your question, UVA beat every ACC team last year. Our lone loss was to VT by 1 at home in OT but we won the first game in Blacksburg by 26.

Faustus
03-30-2019, 11:25 AM
By the way, Duke also to my count played 12 games against teams in the Sweet Sixteen this year (13 if you count last night's re-match with VT), going 8-4 (9-4) in them, but 3 of those were Zion-less. Tired of hearing people whine about Duke's 'easy' schedule this year, which I saw a lot on other boards. Kentucky, Auburn, Gonzaga and Texas Tech is not such a bad out of conference slate of games as we see now.

Lippl
03-30-2019, 11:50 AM
By the way, Duke also to my count played 12 games against teams in the Sweet Sixteen this year (13 if you count last night's re-match with VT), going 8-4 (9-4) in them, but 3 of those were Zion-less. Tired of hearing people whine about Duke's 'easy' schedule this year, which I saw a lot on other boards. Kentucky, Auburn, Gonzaga and Texas Tech is not such a bad out of conference slate of games as we see now.

And we are 5-1 against the Elite Eight, with just the 2 pt loss to the Zags.

DavidBenAkiva
03-30-2019, 03:52 PM
Very impressive accomplishment. To answer your question, UVA beat every ACC team last year. Our lone loss was to VT by 1 at home in OT but we won the first game in Blacksburg by 26.

Good point! So the next question is which ACC team ended their season having defeated every ACC team ;)

ns7
03-30-2019, 05:07 PM
UVA has a chance to beat every ACC team this year if they beat us in the final.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-31-2019, 12:10 AM
UVA has a chance to beat every ACC team this year if they beat us in the final.

They won't. We'll beat them again. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif And we won't have a chance to "revenge" our loss to Gonzaga - we'll just have to beat Texas Tech again! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-31-2019, 12:35 AM
Duke has also beaten three of the teams that will play in this year’s Final Four UVA, Texas Tech, and Auburn/Kentucky.

Dukehk
03-31-2019, 08:28 AM
Duke has also beaten three of the teams that will play in this year’s Final Four UVA, Texas Tech, and Auburn/Kentucky.

Its quite amazing what this team has achieved this season.

If we manage to beat michigan state, we go into a final four in which we have beaten every single team at least once.

I wonder if there has been another team in the history of the NCAA tournament which has beaten the entire final four field during the regular season?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2019, 08:39 AM
I know cart, horse, all that jazz. But beating a good team three times is very, very hard. I would be incredibly nervous about a third meeting with UVA. Of course, I am nervous about a rematch with Auburn or Kentucky the way they have been playing too, and you gotta play SOMEBODY.

But there's a lot of green between here and there.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2019, 08:50 AM

I see what you did there.

And yes, wholly agree with all of your points.

curtis325
03-31-2019, 09:23 AM
I know cart, horse, all that jazz. But beating a good team three times is very, very hard. I would be incredibly nervous about a third meeting with UVA. Of course, I am nervous about a rematch with Auburn or Kentucky the way they have been playing too, and you gotta play SOMEBODY.

Beating a good team you have lost to twice is also very, very hard. Maybe harder.

uh_no
03-31-2019, 09:36 AM
Beating a good team you have lost to twice is also very, very hard. Maybe harder.

yeah. wish there was some data on it.

I'd have to imagine, though, that beating a team twice gives a lot of evidence that you should beat them again. at worst, i can't imagine it's substantially different from the expected odds had the teams never played

DavidBenAkiva
03-31-2019, 10:20 AM
yeah. wish there was some data on it.

I'd have to imagine, though, that beating a team twice gives a lot of evidence that you should beat them again. at worst, i can't imagine it's substantially different from the expected odds had the teams never played

I can't find it right now, but I think it was Bart Torvik (www.barttorvik.com) that crunched the numbers and it is fairly common for a team to defeat another team three times in a season. If I recall correctly, the team that won the first two matchups won the third matchup about 67% of the time.

Dukehk
03-31-2019, 10:37 AM
I can't find it right now, but I think it was Bart Torvik (www.barttorvik.com) that crunched the numbers and it is fairly common for a team to defeat another team three times in a season. If I recall correctly, the team that won the first two matchups won the third matchup about 67% of the time.

That would be amazing if we got to the finals.

If it does happen, the third game against virginia would probably be really really close and hardfought.

I'm still confident we could beat them a third time though, barring any more injuries.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2019, 10:54 AM

Caveat of beating a good team

devildeac
03-31-2019, 11:30 AM

I'm very happy we defied the odds to beat the cheats in the ACCT. ;)