PDA

View Full Version : Where we were 27 years ago

mattyoung18
03-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Sorry starting a new thread feel free to move if necessary.Its been 27 years today since the most clutch/dramatic shot thats ever been made at the end of the the best,highly contested game I have ever seen.And by the best or one of the best NCAA players ever.Go Devils That is Laettner for the Young readers

CDu
03-28-2019, 11:43 AM
One never needs to apologize for sending reminders of The Shot.

NSDukeFan
03-28-2019, 11:46 AM
Did he have a Zionesque shooting day in that game or has Zion been having a Laettneresque shooting year?

dukelifer
03-28-2019, 11:50 AM
Did he have a Zionesque shooting day in that game or has Zion been having a Laettneresque shooting year?

I must quibble here that Zion did not have a Laettneresque shooting day- he missed FT's. Now Goldwire on the same night had a Laettneresque shooting night.

AustinDevil
03-28-2019, 12:37 PM
I must quibble here that Zion did not have a Laettneresque shooting day- he missed FT's. Now Goldwire on the same night had a Laettneresque shooting night.

I think the reference was to Zion's stratospheric FG %age this year, versus Laettner's one game. And I'd say the answer, both ways, is "yes."

JasonEvans
03-28-2019, 12:57 PM
It is worth noting that Christian hit an otherworldly 55.7% of his 3s as a senior and lest you think it was on low volume, he averaged almost 3 3PTA per game.

roywhite
03-28-2019, 01:21 PM
It is worth noting that Christian hit an otherworldly 55.7% of his 3s as a senior and lest you think it was on low volume, he averaged almost 3 3PTA per game.

It was beautiful. With Hurley pushing the ball and athletes like Thomas Hill, Brian Davis, Tony Lang, and Grant Hill running the floor, opposing defenses were stressed to the max. And often Laettner would be the trailer, get the ball at the top of the key, set, and nail the shot. Very, very difficult to defend.

robed deity
03-28-2019, 01:29 PM

Because of this, I remember wondering why he passed up an open 3 in the closing seconds of the UNC game in Chapel Hill.

mattyoung18
03-28-2019, 04:11 PM
That 92 team was unreal.I laugh when the documentary about Laettner comes out and there's a quote by the director that Laettner is "arguably" the most clutch college shooter of all time uh what's to argue he had a perfect game.In my mind hes #1 by a significant margin. I'd like to hear other suggestions on who comes in a distant 2nd.My vote would be his teamate Bobby Hurley.That UNLV 3 he hit was just a flat out dagger.Hurley also hit that 3 against Kentucky in OT when we were down 3 with about 3 minutes to play.

diablesseblu
03-28-2019, 05:05 PM
That makes me feel old, but it was a great night. And, we actually met some nice KY fans back at the hotel. They sat and talked with us, and graciously shared the champagne we kept buying. I was stunned by that -- still am.

sagegrouse
03-28-2019, 07:09 PM
Here is a post I made a few years ago, after discussing the game with Verne Lundquist, who, along with Len Elmore, called the game:

In a recent column that some of you saw and quoted from, Norman Chad listed 23 supposedly true sports facts: “10. If Verne Lundquist lived next door to me, I’d go over to borrow a cup of sugar every other day.”

I don’t live next door to Verne but I do see him often in our small town of Steamboat Springs. As Chad intimated, Verne is a really good guy, totally pleasant and exceptionally well informed on many subjects. A few weeks ago [actually, a few years now], I spoke with Verne Lundquist about “The Shot,” which he called for CBS. Until I saw a recent You Tube clip, I hadn’t even realized that he was the game announcer. I was with another neighbor, former Duke hurler Larry Harrison. “What did you think,” I asked Verne, “when it happened?”

“Well,” he said, “there was total silence [at the mike] for a few minutes and the camera just panned the court and all the celebrations going on. Then Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe came over and asked Len Elmore [Verne’s partner that day – who knew?], ‘Until today I thought the ACC final you played against North Carolina State in 1974 was the best college basketball game I had ever seen. Which game do you think was better?’ Len hesitated for a long minute and finally said, ‘I think this game may have been better.’”

“It was a few minutes later before I could talk to Mike Krzyzewski. One of the things I really admire about Mike (and there are many things I like) is that immediately after the game he went over to talk to the Kentucky radio announcer, Cawood Ledford. Ledford had been there forever and, as the tournament started, had announced that the next Kentucky loss would be his last game. Mike spoke first to Ledford and to the Kentucky fans on the radio network.” K told the Kentucky fans that they had listened to one of the classic basketball games in history.

“When I talked to Mike a few minutes later,” he said, “I knew if I could get the ball to that son-of-a-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. in the circle, he would make the shot.’ I was asked later why we didn’t mention on the broadcast that Laettner was perfect from the floor and perfect from the line. [He was 10-10 and 10-10.] Well, I didn’t know. I asked my statistician, a guy who had worked with me for years, why he hadn’t told me. He was a bit strange. He said it was in the handwritten notes, which I hadn’t managed to figure out. I believe he ended up getting fired over the incident.”

diablesseblu
03-28-2019, 09:11 PM
The next morning, we saw Len and his wife Gail at the train station when we were all waiting to trek back to NYC. They're old friends. Lenny and I had a long talk about the quality/import of the game. It was clearly difficult for him, given the historic game he'd played in, to think it might now be supplanted in the pantheon of greatest college games.

Almost every time I've seen him over the years, we've talked about the Duke-KY game. Pretty sure he's now just grateful to have been there.

Brian913
03-28-2019, 10:22 PM

Duke79UNLV77
03-28-2019, 10:26 PM

Well, I think we have a winner right off the bat! No one else need apply, unless Grant, K, or Laettner posts here.

roywhite
03-28-2019, 10:52 PM
At the Spectrum watching, on my birthday.

Kedsy
03-28-2019, 11:03 PM
I was there too, though nobody autographed my ticket stubs.

duketaylor
03-28-2019, 11:17 PM
I was watching with several friends at Chiocca's, at the corner of Belmont and Kensington, in the museum district in Richmond. We finished the game, tipped our server, after about 9 pitchers of brew and having eaten. I lived across the street, decided to have 2 more, settled, left no tip for them (after a hefty tip earlier), was about to depart when confronted by the server about the 2nd tip. The owner came outside to see what was up. I told him, went back in and slapped a twenty on the bar and left. She was fired soon after. Luckily, I met my wife just a month later. So....I win no prize here, but won a big prize soon thereafter!!!!;) Lucky me!!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-28-2019, 11:26 PM
This replay NEVER gets old.....it's just so pure, so amazing, so perfect.

I was merely watching at my house, in Cary at the time....with my cousin, who went to UNC but who's dad (obviously my uncle) went to Duke.....he actually seemed to like the result......

BigWayne
03-29-2019, 02:49 AM
At the Chicago Pizza joint on Buford Highway in Atlanta.

boligrafous
03-29-2019, 07:38 AM
I was in a common room on the first floor of the Southgate dorm on east campus. I remember the sinking feeling sitting on the edge of a chair after Kentucky’s lucky shot went in and it sank in that there probably wasn’t enough time left. After Laettner hit his shot there was a minute or so of pandemonium in the common room, yelling, jumping and hugging. Then people started pouring in as they came down the stairs from their dorm rooms where they’d presumably been watching. Next thing I knew we poured out of Southgate and joined people walking fast to West Campus for bonfires and celebrating.

johnb
03-29-2019, 07:45 AM
At the game. A friend had gotten last minute tickets. I debated whether it was worth a trip to Philadelphia, but didn’t debate long. Good choice.

toothmechanic72
03-29-2019, 07:54 AM
I was watching the game with friends in our apartment on Central campus. After that shot, there was a lot of joyful noise on campus!

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-29-2019, 07:56 AM
Commons room of House D. When the shot went in, half the room jumped up and starting punching out ceiling tiles. A strange way to celebrate but I guess that much tension had been built up. Then the celebration on the quad.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2019, 08:22 AM
Sitting on my parents living room floor in front of the TV. After the shot went down, I wasn't sitting. I was basically doing what Thomas Hill was doing.

bluenorth
03-29-2019, 09:07 AM
On a road trip with some buddies, watching as best I could in the car on a Sony Watchman portable tv. The screen was about 1.5" square. Not very good for detail. Reception varied depending on where we were, so I actually missed the end of the game. I've seen it many times since then, but still regret missing the moment.

wsb3
03-29-2019, 09:11 AM
Oldest sister's child was leaving for the military. (lasted about 6 weeks like most of her adventures) I had to attend the going away party at a Pizza Place. Middle sister who is a die hard Duke fan, along with her daughter, who I raised to love all things Duke had insisted a plan be made to watch game.Youngest sister offered her home, which was nearby to watch the game. Parents were there. Mom loved Duke too. Living room was pretty full in that house. Most didn't care one way or the other but some of them even got caught up in it.

Funny going into that game Kentucky was one team I had no fear of. We were so much better than them, (at least in my mind) but they played an incredible game.

When Laettner's shot dropped through and the room went crazy. I remained frozen in my seat wanting to make certain that the shot was off in time before I celebrated.

szstark
03-29-2019, 09:27 AM
I was there too, though nobody autographed my ticket stubs.

I was also there, sitting directly behind Grant when he made the pass. I remember the Kentucky fans still loudly celebrating their lead, then a moment of stunned silence as the ball went through the hoop before the Duke fans erupted.

weezie
03-29-2019, 09:27 AM
Drove to the Spectrum and followed the team bus into the parking lot.

JasonEvans
03-29-2019, 09:33 AM
My finance's uncle (we would be married several months later and are still together) was a food rep in Philly who had the Gatorade account. So, he got us the Gatorade seats... front row, right underneath the basket. When Grant stepped back to throw his football pass the length of the floor, he almost stepped on my foot. I had to lean to the side to see the final play because Grant was in my way.

-Jason "good seats..." Evans

elvis14
03-29-2019, 09:51 AM
On the Friday before the game, I had just finished defending my master's paper and surviving my orals to complete my Master's degree at Clemson. I had driven home (meaning my parents house) for a day and then went back to Clemson to get together with friends to go celebrate. A bunch of us were at a friends apartment having drinks getting ready to go bar hopping to celebrate in downtown Clemson. Of course we had to finish watching the game before we went out (besides, back then we went out around 11pm). I can still remember who I was standing next to and talking with when he hit "the shot" (plus she was kinda cute so...).

The girl who's apartment I was in (who arranged for us all to celebrate) is still a friend of mine. Her and her husband and their son stayed with us for a few days in November.

KandG
03-29-2019, 10:11 AM
I was watching the game alone in Chicago because I was packing everything up where I lived in preparation for a move (my wife had already moved and started her job in Boston).

I just remember the feeling of absolute dread after Sean Woods' shot went in with 2 seconds left, very similar to the same feeling after the shot clock ruling went against us vs UCF last Sunday -- that heavy feeling that a wonderful season was going to end in crushing disappointment to an opponent playing out of their mind.

When Laettner's shot went in, I just remember running around an empty house with boxes surrounding me screaming like a lunatic, trying not to trip or knock over any boxes. It might have been the most athletic thing I've done in my life not to hurt myself then. Shortly after, a friend called and we spent an hour talking bewilderedly about how we managed to win that game.

I don't know that the iconic quality of the game really hit me, though, until the next morning, when the movers showed up. The guy managing the movers comes to my door, sees my Duke shirt, and says he's from Kentucky and said Laettner should have been kicked out of the game. (this was said in a very evenhanded voice, hostility well concealed). I was polite as well, but inside I was smiling broadly.

(Fortunately the movers did a great job and as far as I can tell no sabotage or theft occurred despite my loyalties)

Clocktower
03-29-2019, 10:14 AM
We had driven up from DC to go to the game after doing the up and back for the regional semifinal. I remember the combination of astonishment and relief right after the shot went down, that the quest for back to back championships was still alive. I also recall realizing that Laettner had to be the only player to ever hit a game-winning buzzer beater to send his team to the final four twice in a career. Clutchest guy ever!

Turk
03-29-2019, 10:45 AM
I was there too, with my dad, brother, and Mrs. Turk. About center court, in the top level of the Spectrum. Tix courtesy of the man who would one day become America's most mocked bracketologist, and because of his day job, got them from the St. Joe's allotment as "host" of the regional (or maybe it was the A-10? but same difference).

Brilliant idea to get the stubs autographed; why didn't I think of that?

duke96
03-29-2019, 11:02 AM
Funny, I was thinking about this yesterday.

I was already accepted to Duke and in my senior year of HS. A girl I was always "interested in" had a small party and invited me over. I ended up ditching most of the party to watch the game alone in some random room.

Missed out on my chance with the girl, but I'll always remember sitting on that couch by myself watching that amazing game. A good trade.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-29-2019, 11:05 AM
I also recall realizing that Laettner had to be the only player to ever hit a game-winning buzzer beater to send his team to the final four twice in a career. Clutchest guy ever!

Yeah Laettner himself wonders why "God allowed him" to do that twice But the dude was cold blooded.
I heard a Laettner stat quoted - and I have no idea if it is correct, but it sounds right: As a junior and senior, when the score was tied or Duke was behind, his 3 pt percentage was like 80%. If that's true, that's the clutchest, or most cold blooded, stat ever.

TruBlu
03-29-2019, 11:10 AM
Watching at home while the wife was spot watching while popping in and out of the kitchen. After Kentucky went ahead and Duke called timeout, the wife popped back in and asked what was going on. I explained the situation and told her that Duke was going to lose. She said “no, Dukes going to win”, and popped back into the kitchen. When I joyfully shouted, she looked around the corner and said “I told you”. Right as usual.

roywhite
03-29-2019, 11:12 AM
I was also there, sitting directly behind Grant when he made the pass. I remember the Kentucky fans still loudly celebrating their lead, then a moment of stunned silence as the ball went through the hoop before the Duke fans erupted.

Yes. The crowd dynamics were interesting. The Kentucky fans were boisterous and positive the entire game. Duke fans cheered, but there was a sense of "Oh, damn, we might lose this"

And then watching Laettner seemingly take forever to get off the shot...hurry, please hurry...and then, yes, a bit of silence...did we really see that, does it count? Then the roars of exhilaration (with a measure of relief).

Watching Duke basketball has produced so many memorable moments as has sports viewing in general over many decades, but The Shot is at the top of my all-time list.

Tom B.
03-29-2019, 11:16 AM
I also recall realizing that Laettner had to be the only player to ever hit a game-winning buzzer beater to send his team to the final four twice in a career. Clutchest guy ever!

I've posted these stats here before, but they're always worth repeating, especially when the topic is Laettner's "clutchiness."

Laettner played (and in fact, started) in four NCAA Regional Final games (i.e., games with a trip to the Final Four on the line). In those four games, his career field goal percentage is an otherworldly 91.17% (31-for-34). He was 9-for-10 against Georgetown in 1989, 7-for-8 against UConn in 1990, 5-for-6 against St. John's in 1991, and of course, 10-for-10 against Kentucky in 1992.

His free throw percentage in those games wasn't too shabby, either -- 91.9% (34-for-37). He was 6-for-7 against Georgetown in 1989, 9-for-11 against UConn in 1990, 9-for-9 against St. John's in 1991, and again, 10-for-10 against Kentucky in 1992.

For his career, he shot 60.1% (128-for-213) from the floor and 85% (142-for-167) from the free throw line in 23 NCAA Tournament games.

His worst-shooting NCAA Tournament game was a second round game against St. John's in 1990. Laettner scored only six points, shooting 0-for-7 from the floor and 6-for-9 from the free throw line. His second-worst was the national semifinal against Indiana in 1992, when he scored only eight points on 2-for-8 shooting from the field and 4-for-7 shooting from the free throw line.

jv001
03-29-2019, 11:20 AM
Yeah Laettner himself wonders why "God allowed him" to do that twice But the dude was cold blooded.
I heard a Laettner stat quoted - and I have no idea if it is correct, but it sounds right: As a junior and senior, when the score was tied or Duke was behind, his 3 pt percentage was like 80%. If that's true, that's the clutchest, or most cold blooded, stat ever.

And the reason Christian was the best college basketball ever. I know some will say Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. But not in my mind. Christian was like you said, cold blooded. And now we have a player in Zion that is unique to the game of basketball. We are so blessed. GoDuke!

Oh, I was in San Diego, CA with a buddy watching the game from our hotel room. On more than one occasion we would go for a golf vacation and also watch Duke in the NCAAT. We watched the Blue Devils in Tampa for the 1991 title. GoDuke!

dukie’s_daughter
03-29-2019, 12:39 PM
And then watching Laettner seemingly take forever to get off the shot...Hurry, please hurry...and then, yes, a bit of silence...did we really see that, does it count? Then the roars of exhilaration (with a measure of relief).

I was in the basement den, yelling at the TV: “ Don’t Dribble the d@mn ball!”

Apparently Laetner had a better understanding of what could be accomplished in 2.1 seconds than me... who knew??:rolleyes:

ndkjr70
03-29-2019, 12:59 PM
My finance's uncle (we would be married several months later and are still together) was a food rep in Philly who had the Gatorade account. So, he got us the Gatorade seats... front row, right underneath the basket. When Grant stepped back to throw his football pass the length of the floor, he almost stepped on my foot. I had to lean to the side to see the final play because Grant was in my way.

Wow. I mean I know he got you great seats, but it’s a strange turn of events that you married your fiance’s uncle.

Congratulations to you guys though.

TruBlu
03-29-2019, 01:05 PM
Wow. I mean I know he got you great seats, but it’s a strange turn of events that you married your fiance’s uncle.

Well, whatever it takes to get great seats. Huh, Jason?

bullettoothtony
03-29-2019, 01:13 PM
Was planning to go eat lunch at The Rat in Chapel Hill, then come back and start pre-gaming. Before walking out of my apartment on Central Campus, noticed the message light flashing on the answering machine.

Returned the call from my father and found out my maternal grandfather passed away. So plans changed.

Got to my grandmother's house late afternoon. She didn't want the TV on... understandable. Got to uncle's later and saw the end of the first half, then the rest of the game.

When Woods hit that shot, I hung my head for a few seconds, then perked back up and said, "We're not losing that way. Not today."

An emotional day to say the least.

60sDukie
03-29-2019, 01:31 PM
We were playing bridge with friends. The game was on in the background as we continued to play. When the game went to overtime all pretense of playing was gone and we were all riveted to the tv. We were the only Duke fans but apparently our enthusiasm was contagious because everyone was cheering for Duke.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-29-2019, 01:34 PM
Watching Duke basketball has produced so many memorable moments as has sports viewing in general over many decades, but The Shot is at the top of my all-time list.

Any and every list worth having.....that one, 'the shot' - is at the top.

oakvillebluedevil
03-29-2019, 01:48 PM
I was learning to walk :cool:

Easily the moment that came before my conscious Duke time that I'm most jealous of the more...er...seasoned members of the fanbse for getting to experience

ChrisDevil
03-29-2019, 01:50 PM
Standing behind the bar at The Hideaway.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-29-2019, 02:17 PM
I was learning to walk :cool:

Easily the moment that came before my conscious Duke time that I'm most jealous of the more...er...seasoned members of the fanbse for getting to experience

For all of the great history we've been lucky to live through...nothing quite equals that game, that moment...

For the heck of it, I re-watched the ESPN special "The Laettner Game" the other day. I normally do it about NCAAT time...and I'm reminded of a few quotes from that special: (quotes are very close if not perfect - at least in context paraphrases...)

"It truly was a spectacular time...the whole sports world was watching..." - Coach K.

"Nothing, not even winning the two championships, compares to the moment when Christian hit that shot..." - Grant Hill

"I've never let it (the feeling) fade away..." - Christian Laettner

"I'm even more convinced today than I was 20 years ago, that this was the greatest college basketball game ever..." - Bob Ryan, Boston Globe, ESPN

"Heck I barely even remember the Final Four in 1992...it all happened in Philadelphia at the Eastern Regional..." - Rick Sullivan, WRALTV

Go find "The Laettner Game" and watch it...watch the other ESPN special "I Hate Christian Laettner." I told my kids to watch it...I told them THIS is when Duke basketball became the Duke of today...

NOTE: there were a number of off court situations that added to the mystique of the game...it was the last broadcast of the legendary Caywood Ledford's career, for 40 years the voice of the UK Wildcats on radio. Coach K's first move was to console Kentucky's players......and Coach K addressed UK nation on their radio network.....the game was what GHW Bush talked about the next day......and the U of K enshrined their seniors into the UK ring of honor, or whatever they call it, mostly based on that one game's effort. As K said, it really was just a spectacular time.

Bob Green
03-29-2019, 02:27 PM
I was at sea on the USS Blue Ridge listening to the game on the radio. The Shot was every bit as exciting on radio as on TV.

DU82
03-29-2019, 02:49 PM
With -jk in LA, I was EK’s designated driver (not because she was impaired, it was so she could knit or do needlework.). We were roughly center court but upstairs in the Spectrum

After Woods’s shot, I remember saying I can’t believe it’s going to end like that (on such a bad shot.) After The Shot, I shouted in her ear, “He did it again!” The Spectrum was the loudest of any neutral arena I’ve ever been in (only Tink’s shot to tie the cheaters and maybe a couple of others in Cameron top it.)

I didn’t even need any caffeine to make it back to Durham!

Brian913
03-29-2019, 03:09 PM
We had driven up from DC to go to the game after doing the up and back for the regional semifinal. I remember the combination of astonishment and relief right after the shot went down, that the quest for back to back championships was still alive. I also recall realizing that Laettner had to be the only player to ever hit a game-winning buzzer beater to send his team to the final four twice in a career. Clutchest guy ever!

I was also lucky enough to be sitting in the second row behind the Duke bench when he made the shot against UCONN the year before.

fuse
03-29-2019, 03:28 PM
Watching in our dorm room in Wilson House on East Campus.

One of my friends is so inconsolable ahead of the shot, that he wanders out into the hall.

We watch, spellbound, and begin celebrating, while getting ready to jump on the bus to hit West Campus.

Our friend is in the hall with the cleaning staff vacuum cleaner over his head. Where he found it or how he got to it remains a mystery.

We are in the middle of shouting “We won!” as he brings down the vacuum cleaner, which shatters into approximately a million pieces all over the floor.

Halfway through the motion of destroying the vacuum cleaner, you can see the light go off above his head that we were sharing good news.

As the pieces of vacuum cleaner go everywhere, our friend begins dancing with joy in the rubble and screaming “We won!!! We won!” with tears of joy streaming down his face.

There may or may not have been consumption of adult beverages involved 🤣

We jumped the next bus to West and celebrated with everyone else on campus like there was no tomorrow.

What. A. Game.

EKU1969
03-29-2019, 03:39 PM
At work, worked nights, obviously. One of the guys brought a small tv to work, so we got to see it. I lived in Charlotte at the time.

MartyClark
03-29-2019, 03:46 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with it!

fuse
03-29-2019, 03:56 PM

I try to live a life free of jealousy.

It’s hard not to be at least a little envious.
Wow, what a remarkable experience to connect to “The Shot”.

kAzE
03-29-2019, 04:04 PM

Wait a minute now . . . . so you're saying this guy in the red shirt is YOU??

You're on camera for the greatest basketball shot of all time???

So. Jealous.

I was 6 years old, at a Duke faculty party with my father and his colleagues watching the game . . .

JasonEvans
03-29-2019, 04:17 PM

You're damn right I sporked this!

tecumseh
03-30-2019, 09:43 AM
It wasn’t just The Shot it was the importance of the game and the way the game ended. Both coaches were confident in their players and did not call a time out which spoils the drama somewhat. So back and forth they went five lead changes in last two minutes I believe, just crazy.

I was working as the ER doc/house physician in small hospital in Missouri. There was a TV in my little on call room. I remember being really angry that our season was going to end on such a lucky sot by Woods. When Laettner hit shot, I was screaming and hopping up and down. A nurse heard the commotion and thought I was dying and burst. Into my room with the crash cart. I looked at him kind of sheepishly and explained I was OK

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2019, 09:48 AM
It wasn’t just The Shot it was the importance of the game and the way the game ended. Both coaches were confident in their players and did not call a time out which spoils the drama somewhat...

I disagree. Part of what I miss about how the game is played today is that flow and rhythm. Now it is disrupted by time outs, tons of fouls, time outs between foul shots, replays, more replays, video reviews, review explanations, etc.

devilnfla
03-30-2019, 10:03 AM
Basic Training, Lackland AFB. Due to that I missed the game. I was fortunate enough to have a Drill Instructor fill me in on the details the next day. Didn't get to see a replay until after graduating Basic.