PDA

View Full Version : Media Pendulum

DevilYouKnow
03-27-2019, 08:54 AM
So, after the ACC Tournament, everyone figured Duke was invincible (not so, of course). Now, after the CFU game, everyone is writing our obituary. The media obsession with telling a tale of ascension or rapid decline is getting tiresome don't you think?

The reality is, surely, somewhere in between.

But I like our chances.

uh_no
03-27-2019, 09:10 AM
So, after the ACC Tournament, everyone figured Duke was invincible (not so, of course). Now, after the CFU game, everyone is writing our obituary. The media obsession with telling a tale of ascension or rapid decline is getting tiresome don't you think?

The reality is, surely, somewhere in between.

But I like our chances.

sounds a whole lot like the DBR pendulum.

camion
03-27-2019, 09:15 AM
sounds a whole lot like the DBR pendulum.

Recency something or other.

Recency blast?

Recency blister?

Recency bacon?

Recently had BACON!! :)

CameronBlue
03-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Well at least Jay Bills has Duke #1 in his reseeded Sweet 16. Do we love him again or does he remain DBR’s Public Enemy#1 and likely cause of the coming Apocalypse?

budwom
03-27-2019, 09:19 AM
Well at least Jay Bills has Duke #1 in his reseeded Sweet 16. Do we love him again or does he remain DBR’s Public Enemy#1 and likely cause of the coming Apocalypse?

And yet his ballyhooed bracket on ESPN has him picking the heels...nice to have it both ways.

UrinalCake
03-27-2019, 09:46 AM
Go back a week further, and after the regular season loss to the CHeats we were a #2 seed on a freefall with a ton of question marks. Massive overreactions one way or another are pretty much the norm nowadays.

ChillinDuke
03-27-2019, 09:49 AM
And yet his ballyhooed bracket on ESPN has him picking the heels...nice to have it both ways.

If you ask him about it, I'm sure he'll explain why he's right about both.

- Chillin

Troublemaker
03-27-2019, 09:52 AM

Technically, that doesn't have to be contradictory (not that you necessarily implied that it was.) He had Duke losing to UNC in the final, right? Technically, he could think Duke is the overall better team than UNC but matches up poorly against UNC, for example.

That said, most likely, Jay was just being soooooooo unbiased as usual when picking UNC to win it all. That's the image he has carefully cultivated. He had to work hard since bias is right in his name.

thedukelamere
03-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Technically, that doesn't have to be contradictory (not that you necessarily implied that it was.) He had Duke losing to UNC in the final, right? Technically, he could think Duke is the overall better team than UNC but matches up poorly against UNC, for example.

That said, most likely, Jay was just being soooooooo unbiased as usual when picking UNC to win it all. That's the image he has carefully cultivated. He had to work hard since bias is right in his name.

Hopefully he gets the championship he predicted, but takes the L he needs to round out his name.

Kfanarmy
03-27-2019, 10:05 AM
If you ask him about it, I'm sure he'll explain why he's right about both.

- Chillin

He's probably obligated financially in some way to shill for UNC.

CameronBlue
03-27-2019, 10:08 AM
Hmmmm okay. There ya go. Question answered.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-27-2019, 02:27 PM

Will take more than that to get our lovin.......

AGDukesky
03-27-2019, 02:50 PM
CFU?

Out of respect for our own Johnny Dawkins and because I have family who went there, it is the University of Central Florida. I would assume the OP has read several articles about the game and/or Duke where I strongly doubt anyone wrote “CFU”. Of course people couldn’t spell Redick or Shelden even after each played four seasons with Duke and had their jerseys retired, so maybe it isn’t that surprising...

rsvman
03-27-2019, 04:12 PM
CFU?

Out of respect for our own Johnny Dawkins and because I have family who went there, it is the University of Central Florida. I would assume the OP has read several articles about the game and/or Duke where I strongly doubt anyone wrote “CFU”. Of course people couldn’t spell Redick or Shelden even after each played four seasons with Duke and had their jerseys retired, so maybe it isn’t that surprising...

To me as an infectious diseases physician, cfu means "colony-forming units." It's a measure of, for example, how many bacteria are in your urine. We use those numbers to decide whether you really have a urinary tract infection or whether the specimen got contaminated.

I doubt the University of Central Florida wants to be associated with bacteria that infect the bladder and the kidney.

DevilYouKnow
03-27-2019, 04:18 PM
CFU?

Apologies for my shorthand.

ncexnyc
03-27-2019, 04:29 PM
So back to the topic at hand, it is amazing how viewpoints shift so easily, but I've come to expect that with today's media. When you're running 24/7 news you've always got to look for a fresh spin to maintain viewers.

I saw several shows earlier today talking about Duke and how vulnerable they were, however not once did anyone of these supposed experts point out the fact that Duke has a total of 8 wins against the teams left in the Sweet 16.

BandAlum83
03-27-2019, 05:31 PM
CFU?

Dylsexics Untie!

CameronBornAndBred
03-27-2019, 05:33 PM
Meh. (That's not against the OP, just the idea that we are less than what we were in anyone's view.)

Duke gets the best fight from every team that we face, and we'll continue to do so. Even in the tournament, when it is one of two team's last game, that doesn't always happen.
All that matters is that we face up to the best that the other guys have to offer and come out victorious. It serves us well for playing on a Monday night.

Troublemaker
03-27-2019, 06:14 PM
So back to the topic at hand, it is amazing how viewpoints shift so easily, but I've come to expect that with today's media. When you're running 24/7 news you've always got to look for a fresh spin to maintain viewers.

I saw several shows earlier today talking about Duke and how vulnerable they were, however not once did anyone of these supposed experts point out the fact that Duke has a total of 8 wins against the teams left in the Sweet 16.

Every team remaining *is* vulnerable, though. Frankly, the perception of Duke is probably more aligned with reality now than before the UCF game. I've noticed Duke's future odds to win it all have been dropping, too. It's now 3 to 1 or even 4 to 1 in some places whereas it was 2 to 1 for many weeks before. Now is more in line with reality.