The shirt that is.

I just don't.

Maybe I'm too old?

TJ99
03-26-2019, 09:00 PM
The shirt that is.

I just don't.

Maybe I'm too old?

So the Duke BBall instagram account uses si6hts ... meaning we have our sights on championship #6 (replacing the g with the 6) and I think this one is using that same thing but including "16" for making it to the sweet sixteen

uh_no
03-26-2019, 09:09 PM
The shirt that is.

I just don't.

Maybe I'm too old?

what shirt? some context would be nice...

BLPOG
03-26-2019, 09:16 PM

That's why it's important to go to the home (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/) page (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/3/26/18281830/and-now-our-sweet-sixteen-shirt-duke-basketball-ncaa-tournament-2019) first!

I didn't really "get it" either, but now with the context of the Instagram page it makes sense.

devilseven
03-26-2019, 09:16 PM

You might try looking at the front page. It's been on there all day.

OldPhiKap
03-26-2019, 09:19 PM
Still don’t get it.

I mean, I understand it.

I just don’t see why.

BLPOG
03-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Still don’t get it.

I mean, I understand it.

I just don’t see why.

Personally, I want a shirt with Godzilla doing a flame/radiation blast, but with Zion's head superimposed. I think some motion picture companies might take issue with it, though.

Acymetric
03-26-2019, 09:24 PM
That's why it's important to go to the home (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/) page (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/3/26/18281830/and-now-our-sweet-sixteen-shirt-duke-basketball-ncaa-tournament-2019) first!

I didn't really "get it" either, but now with the context of the Instagram page it makes sense.

I'm going to be honest (and with apologies to our hosts), but I rarely think the stuff on the front page is worthwhile, so I never go there unless someone posts a link in a thread that makes me think I should give it a look.

I'm here purely for the board...I haven't checked the main page on anything that resembles a regular basis unprompted in probably close to 10 years and I doubt I'm alone...a post about something from the main page definitely warrants at least a mention that it is about something from the main page, if not a link outright.

Eakane
03-26-2019, 09:54 PM
I'm going to be honest too. I think the t-shirts (all 3) are in poor taste. Not as poor as the horrific UNC blow out shirt, but that's a pretty low bar.

I'm going to be honest (and with apologies to our hosts), but I rarely think the stuff on the front page is worthwhile, so I never go there unless someone posts a link in a thread that makes me think I should give it a look.

I'm here purely for the board...I haven't checked the main page on anything that resembles a regular basis unprompted in probably close to 10 years and I doubt I'm alone...a post about something from the main page definitely warrants at least a mention that it is about something from the main page, if not a link outright.

CDu
03-26-2019, 10:06 PM

I am in the same boat.

WiJoe
03-26-2019, 10:23 PM
I'm sure JD is pocketing any and all proceeds. Or, maybe putting them back into the site?

The DBR shirts are not the greatest, but they're better than the lame-*ss swoosh sh$t in the bookstore and team store. Also, the Iron Duke logo is lame.

Give me the ball and hoop inside the D. Then you have something worth buying.

brevity
03-26-2019, 10:25 PM
I'm going to be honest too. I think the t-shirts (all 3) are in poor taste. Not as poor as the horrific UNC blow out shirt, but that's a pretty low bar.

Here are the three T-shirts:

I'm not seeing how the S16HTS shirt is in poor taste, but I do see a missed opportunity. It might have made more sense to have the word SWEET above S16HTS in the same size letters, and maybe but a black border around the characters that make SWEET 16. (I could be wrong, but I don't think the phrase "Sweet 16" has any intellectual property protection, given its separate use for teenage birthday parties.)

Anyway, this thread made me spend some unexpected time on the main page, where I learned that I won the Daily Feather (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/3/25/18280424/the-daily-feather-breakdown-of-conference-performances-in-the-2019-ncaa-tournament-duke-basketball) for keeping track of conference wins and losses for each round of the NCAA Tournament. Must have been a slow day, but thanks.

I am in the same boat.

Actually, you are. Here's your Daily Feather (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/3/26/18280432/a-daily-feather-for-this-virginia-tech-preview-2019-ncaa-tournament-sweet-sixteen-duke-basketball). And another (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/3/23/18278290/a-daily-feather-for-a-ucf-preview-2019-ncaa-tournament-duke-basketball).

CameronBornAndBred
03-26-2019, 10:25 PM
I am in the same boat.

Scoot over and pass me an oar.

Quick edit, I disagree with the content not being worthwhile...someone took the time to write it and I appreciate that. I just don't ever visit; I'm here for the camaraderie.

LasVegas
03-26-2019, 10:28 PM
Scoot over and pass me an oar.

Well, pass me the beer. I’m just along for the ride. My link goes straight to the board but maybe I am missing some good content...

OldPhiKap
03-26-2019, 10:32 PM
I also generally miss the front page although support anything that helps the site. Not my kind of shirts but if it helps Julio and the site I am in favor,

MartinNessley
03-26-2019, 10:38 PM

Interesting. I consider the front page content to be the main focus of DBR and the forum as strictly complementary.

JNort
03-26-2019, 11:14 PM
Interesting. I consider the front page content to be the main focus of DBR and the forum as strictly complementary.

I think I've been to the front page once in 12 years... I come straight for the boards.

weezie
03-26-2019, 11:16 PM
Well I always take a look at it.

Suggest anybody reading this thread check out the story on Phil Cofer's late father and the family's struggle with trying to pay for the man's funeral and medical bills.
If you don't want a t-shirt maybe send the GoFundMe page a few dollars.

rsvman
03-26-2019, 11:25 PM
Well I always take a look at it.

Suggest anybody reading this thread check out the story on Phil Cofer's late father and the family's struggle with trying to pay for the man's funeral and medical bills.

Cosign.

I always check the home page first. If you haven't checked the home page in years, you missed some absolutely phenomenal sports writing from our dearly departed friend, Al Featherston, for starters.

BLPOG
03-26-2019, 11:34 PM
The home page has regularly featured content by Jim Sumner, Barry Jacobs, and the late Al Featherston for many years (among others). While there are many great contributors for contemporary in-game analysis and even recruiting, the home page is always the go-to spot for historical knowledge and press/journalist/insider info, IMO.

Re: shirts, I am fairly picky, but I've been eyeing that "winners" shirt. I think I am going to wait until the end of the season to make a call on it. I still want one of those "Cut Country" shirts.

Although my favorite piece of DBR gear is a hat I got something like 20 years back, when I was but a wee lad.

pfrduke
03-26-2019, 11:50 PM
Waaaaayyy back in the day, the “I said no to Dean” shirt (in the wake of the coaching search that ended up with Doherty) was a classic. Ditto “I agree with Roy” following the 2003 finals.

BLPOG
03-27-2019, 12:14 AM
Waaaaayyy back in the day, the “I said no to Dean” shirt (in the wake of the coaching search that ended up with Doherty) was a classic. Ditto “I agree with Roy” following the 2003 finals.

Funnily enough, I don't remember the "I agree" shirt, but I sure do remember the "I said no" shirt. Would love one of those! Anybody got a picture handy? There's a lot of new folks since those days...

Edit: If memory serves, at the bottom of the list of crossed out names, Doherty was listed as "D'oh!"

johnb
03-27-2019, 05:12 AM
Now that I’m in my 60’s (as of this month), I’m disinclined to buy shirts with large lettering, a complicated story, or a one-week shelf life. It’s fun to hear K’s motivational lines, but they do sound less brilliant the further one gets from the sweaty, in-game huddle.

If the shirt or hat simply said “Duke Basketball Report” with an old typewriter font, small lettering, I’d definitely be buying.

The front page is excellent, imho. I like JD’s stuff, as well as Jim’s and Barry’s (and Al’s, R.I.P.), but I also like the photos and links to other stories about Duke and our ilk.

I’m also impressed by the generativity of the whole place. I can muster a post every now and again, but I’d say at least 25% of my own posts are off point or a waste of time (mine and yours). Say what you want about color commentators or anybody who has to assert opinions relentlessly, in real time (Dickie V, Steven A Smith, etc), but I find it amazing that they can keep it going—I’d simply run out of things to say, and certainly run out of passionate opinions and would likely cringe at what was eventually coming out of my mouth.

uh_no
03-27-2019, 05:20 AM
Say what you want about color commentators or anybody who has to assert opinions relentlessly, in real time (Dickie V, Steven A Smith, etc), but I find it amazing that they can keep it going—I’d simply run out of things to say.

when you run out of things to say, just say the same things over and over :D :D

Quick quiz:
1) how many good eyes does dicky v have?
2) would dickie V trade his age for his partner's salary?
3) does dickie v have hair?

johnb
03-27-2019, 05:24 AM
when you run out of things to say, just say the same things over and over :D :D

Quick quiz:
1) how many good eyes does dicky v have?
2) would dickie V trade his age for his partner's salary?
3) does dickie v have hair?

Fair enough, and I’m no diaper dandy!

DrChainsaw
03-27-2019, 06:16 AM
So the Duke BBall instagram account uses si6hts ... meaning we have our sights on championship #6 (replacing the g with the 6) and I think this one is using that same thing but including "16" for making it to the sweet sixteen

Thanks!

What’s Instagram?

Acymetric
03-27-2019, 08:43 AM
Cosign.

I always check the home page first. If you haven't checked the home page in years, you missed some absolutely phenomenal sports writing from our dearly departed friend, Al Featherston, for starters.

I didn't...they are regularly discussed here on the forum when there is a good piece up, at which point I go check it out! Certainly agree that Al and Jim write some great things for the site (and elsewhere).

weezie
03-27-2019, 09:07 AM
...Suggest anybody reading this thread check out the story on Phil Cofer's late father and the family's struggle with trying to pay for the man's funeral and medical bills.

Not to nag or anything...:cool: It's on the HOME PAGE here.

elvis14
03-27-2019, 09:29 AM
First the t-shirts. Of the 3 posted, I wouldn't buy any of them. To each their own. If you like them, buy them.

Next the 'home page' or 'front page'. The shortcut on my browser goes straight to the "usercp" or "Settings" link. That gives me a list of topics that I've subscribed to (mostly the ones I've commented on), any IMs, even shows my first ever infraction from yesterday (actually very proud of it). The only time I visit the home page is when it's referenced in a thread like this one. I'm here for the discussion on the board, I can get articles anywhere. Plus if an article is interesting, it'll get discussed in a thread anyway. I actually tend to forget the front page even exists.

To each their own. If you like to start with the front page, have at it.

Lurkingdukedog
03-27-2019, 09:43 AM
First the t-shirts. Of the 3 posted, I wouldn't buy any of them. To each their own. If you like them, buy them.

Next the 'home page' or 'front page'. The shortcut on my browser goes straight to the "usercp" or "Settings" link. That gives me a list of topics that I've subscribed to (mostly the ones I've commented on), any IMs, even shows my first ever infraction from yesterday (actually very proud of it). The only time I visit the home page is when it's referenced in a thread like this one. I'm here for the discussion on the board, I can get articles anywhere. Plus if an article is interesting, it'll get discussed in a thread anyway. I actually tend to forget the front page even exists.

To each their own. If you like to start with the front page, have at it.

My browser has been bookmarked to the 'home page" for 30+ years. I've only recently discovered (and started posting) on the forum. I find both have their pluses and minuses. . . .

killerleft
03-27-2019, 10:24 AM
I link to the boards at work, because the front page doesn't load fast enough here. My phone goes to the boards for the same reason. My home laptop behaves well, so my link is to the home page. I enjoy reading -jk, Jim, Barry, etc. Also the links to other stories of interest, mostly game related stuff.

Most of the t-shirts, as has been mentioned above, are of short-term interest, or only buyable after the season. For instance, I'm not buying an ACC Champion t-shirt until I'm sure the cheaters don't have bigger bragging rights for the year. Wouldn't be prudent.

devildeac
03-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Funnily enough, I don't remember the "I agree" shirt, but I sure do remember the "I said no" shirt. Would love one of those! Anybody got a picture handy? There's a lot of new folks since those days...

Edit: If memory serves, at the bottom of the list of crossed out names, Doherty was listed as "D'oh!"

Indeed! I wore that shirt to tatters several years ago. I still have my threadbare "You Can Talk the Game" and "I Want to be Like Mike" t-shirts. :D

fuse
03-27-2019, 01:49 PM
Indeed! I wore that shirt to tatters several years ago. I still have my threadbare "You Can Talk the Game" and "I Want to be Like Mike" t-shirts. :D

The “You Can Talk the Game” is my favorite Duke t-shirt of all time.

JetpackJesus
03-27-2019, 07:16 PM
I always go to the home page first, particularly because all I have to do is type the letter 'D' into the omnibox in Chrome--it automatically populates https://dukebasketballreport.com--then hit enter. I like that simplicity. I usually glance at the various front-page content to see if anything looks interesting before clicking over to the forum.

BandAlum83
03-28-2019, 06:20 PM

I'm with you on this.

BandAlum83
03-28-2019, 06:22 PM
The home page has regularly featured content by Jim Sumner, Barry Jacobs, and the late Al Featherston for many years (among others). While there are many great contributors for contemporary in-game analysis and even recruiting, the home page is always the go-to spot for historical knowledge and press/journalist/insider info, IMO.

Re: shirts, I am fairly picky, but I've been eyeing that "winners" shirt. I think I am going to wait until the end of the season to make a call on it. I still want one of those "Cut Country" shirts.

Although my favorite piece of DBR gear is a hat I got something like 20 years back, when I was but a wee lad.

I guess I need to start making the front page my first stop!

NSDukeFan
03-28-2019, 06:38 PM
I’m a front page first guy and couldn’t imagine missing any of Jim Sumner’s articles, and previously, Al’s. I spend more time on the boards, but like the home page as well.

uh_no
03-28-2019, 06:40 PM
I guess I need to start making the front page my first stop!

the problem is the regularity with which the front page changes vs the regularity with which I visit the forums. Given that I visit the forums dozens of times between article drops (if not more), it simply makes sense to go directly to f<autocomplete><enter>.

-jk
03-28-2019, 08:05 PM
I’m a front page first guy and couldn’t imagine missing any of Jim Sumner’s articles, and previously, Al’s. I spend more time on the boards, but like the home page as well.

I, too, start on the front page. Partly because Julian is dyslectic and also suffers from our family trouble with names. I try to let him know about errors.

(Once upon a time, our grandparents hosted a yearly party for incoming surgical residents. My grandmother met them at the door, and later introduced them around the house. Years later, she could tell you who they married and what she gave for a wedding present. She was gifted that way. My grandfather came home one day, relaying how he’d done an emergency appendectomy on one of his residents. My grandmother allowed as how she’d heard - he lived on their third floor.

They were an almost perfect academic couple!)

For anyone noticing a front page error, please let me know! Recent example, Winthrop instead of Wofford, but still the Terriers...

-jk

quahog174
04-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Any truth to the rumor the shirts are now 50% off and they've eliminated the "t" so it reads "S16HS"?

CameronBornAndBred
04-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Any truth to the rumor the shirts are now 50% off and they've eliminated the "t" so it reads "S16HS"?

Hopefully they are still wearable next year