PDA

View Full Version : Phase VIII: The Sweet 16

kAzE
03-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Duke survived and advanced past the first weekend of the 2019 NCAA Tournament. Barely. After an easy victory against the North Dakota State Bison, Duke faced a talented and motivated Central Florida team. UCF played almost a perfect game and probably should have won the game, if not for Aubrey Dawkins' failed alley oop attempt with two minutes left, or his last second tip-in that JUST rolled off the rim. We made it to the Sweet 16, but we needed some luck to get there.

1. Health

Marques Bolden made his return from a sprained knee and played in both games, but didn't quite look 100%. He played 18 minutes against NDSU, and just 9 minutes against UCF, but was mostly ineffective. Javin filled in for him admirably, but I think had Marques been at full strength, he would have had a slightly more favorable matchup against Tacko Fall. Hopefully, another week of rest and recovery will get Marques closer to his old self.

Jack White missed both games this past weekend with a hamstring tear. Jack was quoted saying that he heard a pop as he tried to stretch the hamstring late in the ACC title game. Hamstring injuries are notoriously tricky, and it's anyone's guess whether or not Jack will be able to suit up this weekend. He is reportedly not able to run at full sprint with this injury, which is not ideal for Jack's style of play. We need Jack's defensive versatility back as soon possible, as he is one of the key cogs for this team off the bench, and is incredibly effective when he's confident in his jump shot.

Needless to say, it is absolutely critical that we do not sustain any further injuries whatsoever. Knock on wood!!

2. Rotation

The ACC tournament gave us some indication of Coach K's postseason rotation, minus Marques, and the UCF game I think is going to be about what we see going forward in close games. Tre, RJ, and Zion are going to play as many minutes as possible, with Cam not far behind. Javin looks to be the starting center going forward until further notice. With the injuries to Marques and Jack, it has been a blessing that we have some depth on our front line. Javin has played some of his best basketball in the past 2 weeks for Duke, and we've really needed those performances to get to this point. He doesn't have the ideal combination of size and strength you would hope for as a center, but he's done about as well as we could hope for on the glass and as a rim protector.

As for the bench, Jordan Goldwire is our 6th man. Probably no one saw that coming. Talent wise, Jordan is not even top 10 on this team, but his defensive tenacity and quickness are a great fit for when we need to turn up the pressure and force some turnovers. Offensively, he's even started to hit some shots, but as a 12% 3 point shooter on the year, let's hope we don't need to count on him too much . . .

Bolden has been discussed already, but he's currently our best big man option off the bench. Unfortunately, in the UCF game, he didn't look like his usual mobile self, and was a step too slow. A healthy Bolden would be a welcome addition to this rotation.

That's pretty much it for the rotation. Jack should get some minutes when he's back, but 7.5 is about as deep as Coach K goes when the season is on the line.

3. Defense

There was some concern about our defensive performance against UCF, but after going back and watching the tape several times, I concluded that we played pretty good defense for the most part. The only major thing that I saw which needs to be addressed is transition defense. We just have to be more aware of shooters in transition, especially when we are utilizing our full court press.

Our halfourt defense was pretty good for the most part. There were a couple of shot contests that could have used a bit more effort, but I thought for the most part, we defended them well in the halfcourt. Many of their halfcourt scores were just due to Tacko being way too big for us to handle, or Aubrey Dawkins making incredible shots against good defense. We also have to be slightly more judicious when gambling for steals, which led to a few wide open looks that they knocked down.

Overall, this Duke team is very good defensively, which is reflected in our #6 defensive efficiency ranking on KenPom.com (better than our offense, which is #7).

4. Shooting

Oh, boy. We've heard the criticisms all year, and it almost came back to bite us this time. We actually didn't shoot poorly against UCF, but our starting point guard went 1 for 8. It was magnified by the fact that just about all 8 of those attempts were about as wide open as it gets. UCF did not even pretend to guard Tre Jones. This is a problem that probably won't fix itself over the next few weeks. We have at most 4 games left this season, and we're just going to have to live with the fact that Tre isn't a good 3 point shooter. But the good news is, he's pretty consistent from mid range on those floaters, pull-up shots and runners. And if the other team doesn't have a 7'6" center who can contest those mid range shots without moving, I think Tre is good enough to contribute on offense.

Another pretty nice development is that Zion has somehow become our most consistent 3 point shooter. I believe he's shooting better than 40% from deep over the last month or so. However, I wish it was someone else, because we need someone not named Zion to space the floor for Zion.

It's probably not going to be RJ. It's great when RJ does get hot from deep (@UVA), but at around 30%, he's just not a consistent threat. It's not Javin, Marques, or Jordan. Jack is still a question mark. That just leaves Cam. Hopefully, the nice shooting performance we saw from Cam (oh my God, that 3 with 1:45 to go was insanely clutch) gets him on a roll. We need Cam's shooting more than just about anything else for the rest of this tournament. If Cam Reddish shoots 40% or better from 3, this team is nearly unbeatable.

5. Scouting

CDu has already posted an outstanding scouting report on Virginia Tech in the game thread, but I will post it here as well for convenience:
Second weekend. The quality of opponents from here on out will be top-10 caliber teams. Nothing easy left on our schedule. Time to get to work.

Va Tech is an extremely well-coached squad that is in transition style-wise. Buzz Williams is starting to get a team that fits his style, though, and it wasn't like Va Tech wasn't already a pugnacious bunch. Williams believes strongly in positionless bball. His Marquette teams were stacked with 6'6"-6'7" guys with tons of strength, athleticism, and versatility (picture Jimmy Butler), and he's moving that way with the Hokies as well. The Hokies are an elite offensive team and a pretty darn good defensive team as well. They aren't nearly as good offensively if their PG is out, though. They shoot extremely well from 3, but are also really efficient from 2pt range and the FT line as well. They play a matchup-zone defense along with an occasional zone press, forcing a lot of turnovers while not fouling much. They use a bunch of interchangeable parts with one big and one or two smalls, and everyone else playing all over the place. They congest the lane, and allow more three point attempts than just about anyone. I would imagine that gameplan doesn't change against us. They grind out possessions at a nearly-UVa rate, and I'd imagine that to continue in this one too as they don't want to let us get easy buckets in transition. On offense, they move a ton, hit 3s, and pass well from multiple spots on the floor. It's a tough, tough team.

Centers: The Hokies pretty much have only one - Kerry Blackshear, Jr (6'10", 240lb redshirt junior). Blackshear has become a stud for the Hokies. He isn't overly physical, but he's an extremely capable scorer both in the paint and from 3. He'll be a handful. He rebounds well on both ends, especially on offense. He also is a not-awful shotblocker, though he's not elite at it. He's a terrific passer out of the high post too. Blackshear will play as much as he possibly can, because the Hokies really have no plan B inside. He smashed us in Blacksburg, but I'd like to see what he can do with Zion on the floor.

Forwards: The Hokies don't really have any of these.

Wings: There are a bunch of guys to talk about here. Alexander-Walker is of course the star. He is a smooth player but not at all explosive, stylistically not unlike Reddish (more polished but not as quick or nearly as long). He is a smart positional defender who reads the passing lanes well and collects a lot of steals. But he isn’t a lockdown on-ball defender. The Hokies have a pair of vets starting alongside him in Ty Outlaw (6’6”, 220lb sixth-year senior via UNC-G and Lee College) and Ahmed Hill (6’5”, 210lb fifth-year senior). Outlaw was a superb high school athlete who has transferred twice (once to a JuCo), missed a season to a heart condition and missed another due to a torn ACL. Hill missed all of the 2016 season with a partially torn patella tendon. He is a solid, versatile defender and a good perimeter shooter. He's also a terrific athlete. The third option is PJ Horne (6'5", 230lb sophomore). Horne is another rugged, athletic forward that is a junk yard dog. He's not nearly as good a perimeter shooter as his wing partners, but he's a relentless offensive rebounder and a good scorer around the basket. All 3 of these guys embody the type of versatile, physical wings that Williams loves. They essentially play forward, even though their skill sets and height are more winglike. Last but not least on the wings is Isaiah Wilkins (6'3", 230lb freshman). If the name sounds familiar, it should: he shares the same name (and spelling) as UVa's former defensive stalwart. They don't appear to be related. Wilkins is a fire hydrant of a wing. He's not overly athletic, but he can really shoot, and he doesn't mind banging inside either.

Guards: The Hokies have a stud PG in Justin Robinson (6'2", 195lb senior) recently returning from a serious toe injury. He's the playmaker, senior leader, and sparkplug of the offense. Robinson does it all as a scorer, much like Alexander-Walker. He's a true PG, but also a terrific scoring threat off-ball. He is super-efficient both inside the arc and outside the arc, and loves attacking off the dribble. And defensively Robinson gets a lot of steals as well. When he's healthy, he and Alexander-Walker make for a dynamite duo. Behind Robinson is Wabissa Bede (6'1", 195lb sophomore). Bede is kind of like Tyler Thornton: a shorter, stout, not overly athletic, but crafty and high-IQ style player. He is a coach's dream of a role player, but athletically he's pretty limited. Lastly, Jonathan Kabongo (6'4", 180lb freshman from Canada) fills out the squad. Kabongo is the younger brother of former high-level recruit and Texas PG Myck Kabongo. Jonathan is not nearly the prospect that Myck was, but physically the similarities are striking. He likely won't play at all now that Robinson is back.

I would expect Jones to guard Robinson and Reddish will get Alexander-Walker. I'll be looking forward to seeing Jones try to lock down another elite ACC guard. Blackshear creates a problem for us, because he's too quick for Bolden but too strong/skilled for DeLaurier. I do like, though, that they don't have any size, which should allow us to play smaller more often with Barrett as the de facto PF and Zion at C. I hope White gets back in the mix, as his physicality might play well in this one.

Additional scouting notes for LSU and MSU will be posted later.

6. Zion

Let's face it, this team is going as far as Zion Williamson takes it. He is the greatest college basketball player I have personally ever witnessed. He has exceeded every single expectation of him and then some. Any day now, we will be watching him play basketball in a Duke uniform for the final time. As fans, treasure these games. Years from now, we'll all remember 2018-2019 was the season we had the privilege to watch Zion Williamson play for Duke.

Saratoga2
03-26-2019, 02:17 PM
We got some bad calls against UCF but even saying that we were fortunate to come away with a win. One thing was evident, that the guys play hard until it's over so they will give it their all.

We really need both Marques and Javin to make us less exposed should we get into foul trouble with either. Marques really doesn't have an offensive game other than put backs or dunks as he throws his hook shot rather than shoots it with touch. Javin is also limited to putbacks and dunks. We need to be satisfied with good defense and a low foul rate from our centers.

Concern about fouling goes equally for Cam, RJ and Zion as we really don't have solid replacements for them. In Cam's case, I would coach him to avoid driving into traffic. He draws way too many charging calls and we need him in the game and not nursing multiple fouls.

Jordan looks like the main substitute in the back court, and especially for his energy and defensive pressure. AOC is unlikely to see PT, even with Jack on the sidelines. That avenue seems to be blocked off in coach K's mind.

Tre will once again probably be left unguarded on the 3 point line. If he can hit 3 of 8 instead of 1 of 8 it changes how we look at things.

Bob Green
03-26-2019, 03:27 PM
Great job with the Sweet 16 Phase, kAzE!

4. Shooting

Oh, boy. We've heard the criticisms all year...

Shooting percentage on 3 PT FG the first weekend was solid:

R64 against NDSU: 42.1%
R32 against CFU: 40%

That is our best two game stretch since the opening two games of the season (Kentucky and Army). Can we continue to be solid this coming weekend?

Individually, here are the combined numbers:

Joey Baker: 1-1 (100%)
RJ Barrett: 4-7 (57%)
Cam Reddish: 5-10 (50%)
Alex O'Connell: 1-2 (50%)
Zion Williamson: 4-9 (44%)
Jordan Goldwire: 2-5 (40%)
Tre Jones: 1-10 (10%)
Overall: 18-44 (41%)

Volume counts so it is clear RJ, Cam and Zion were the best 3 PT FG performers, while Tre's shooting was atrocious. If opponents continue to sag off of Tre and give him wide open looks, he has to start knocking a few down.

CDu
03-26-2019, 03:53 PM
Great job kAzE! Thanks for kicking this phase off. Let's hope it is a long phase, and that we get one more phase this year!

I'd add the following bits to the list above.

Rotation: I think it comes down to getting one or two of Bolden, DeLaurier, and White to be solid on any given night. With at least one of them being solid, we're not wildly vulnerable. With two of them solid, we have a ton of versatility defensively. That would be a big plus. The good thing is that, for the first game at least, we don't NEED to have a ton of big play. We can get away with playing smaller against Va Tech because they are small. But getting at least one of the bigs to be effective allows us a lot of flexibility in attacking them with Zion.

Defense: I'm interested to see how we attack Va Tech. They are well-coached and disciplined, and Buzz will try to get them into matchups that play to their benefit. Lots of screen action will be employed both on and off the ball, with misdirection and cutters and great passers at multiple spots. How we defend Va Tech will be a key to this game. Do we switch most screens? If so, we stand a good chance of getting Blackshear on Jones, Barrett, or Reddish (or Goldwire) in the post, which is bad. We also stand the risk of getting Barrett or (worse) a big isolated on Alexander-Walker or Robinson, which is well short of optimal. And switches in general would require excellent communication to avoid easy layups to cutters. Do we not switch as much? That may lead to more open 3s or backcuts (off-ball screens), or opportunities for Robinson to get downhill off the dribble (on-ball screens). Do we go zone? I hope not, as Va Tech has generally torched teams that go zone thanks to their passing, cutting, and shooting ability. My guess is we go with a modified switching strategy, where we don't switch littles onto bigs but switch fairly liberally at the other 4 spots. And we will just have to hope our communication and focus are good at all five spots on the floor.

Turnovers: This works both ways. Can we do at least a bit better in forcing turnovers than we did in the last meeting? We only forced 9.5% turnover rate in Blacksburg. That's atrocious. If we can get up to 14-15%, I think that bodes well for us. Conversely, we will want to value the ball on our end too. Reddish has been terrific at avoiding sloppy turnovers in the last few games (just 2 turnovers in 95 minutes over the past 3 games). That's fantastic. Can he keep it up? He had 5 against Va Tech last time. Jones committed 3 himself in that game, and has generally been more turnover prone late in the season, with 8 multi-turnover games in his last 11 after having just 6 such games in his first 23. If the team can avoid giving away so many possessions, that'll make a big difference as well. Getting at least break-even on turnovers (we turned it over 12 times to their 5 last time) should be the goal here.

Offensive rebounding: We are an elite offensive rebounding team on the season. Va Tech is a very mediocre defensive rebounding team. Yet in the game in Blacksburg, we struggled to win the battle on the boards. Can we establish a wider margin of victory on the glass with Zion back?

WiJoe
03-26-2019, 04:11 PM

That is our best two game stretch since the opening two games of the season (Kentucky and Army). Can we continue to be solid this coming weekend?

Volume counts so it is clear RJ, Cam and Zion were the best 3 PT FG performers, while Tre's shooting was atrocious. If opponents continue to sag off of Tre and give him wide open looks, he has to start knocking a few down.

Oh, man, thanks for the stats, Bob. Not even going to check to make sure they're accurate (copy editor prerogative). :rolleyes:

Would sure like to see AOC in there at times; he's the only guys I REALLY feel confident about shooting 3s. I understand he's a liability on the other end of the floor.

Bluedog
03-26-2019, 04:23 PM

And while 40% from three is pretty good, that's because the vast majority are WIDE OPEN looks for everybody basically except Cam. Otherwise, we'd be much lower in all likelihood. I mean, teams are just giving us the shot because they think it gives them their best chance to beat us, so need to capitalize.

kako
03-26-2019, 05:09 PM
Another pretty nice development is that Zion has somehow become our most consistent 3 point shooter. I believe he's shooting better than 40% from deep over the last month or so. However, I wish it was someone else, because we need someone not named Zion to space the floor for Zion.

Oh ye of little faith... Zion is Superman! His powers are incredible. If there's a way for Zion to space the floor for himself, he will do it.

With that, I present André 3000 in Hey Ya! Like him, Zion can do it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgvGjAhvIw

9F

CDu
03-27-2019, 02:16 PM
House G has provided a great scouting report for LSU (if we're fortunate to get to the Elite 8) here:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?43555-A-scouting-report-on-LSU-from-Baton-Rouge

CDu
03-27-2019, 03:02 PM
If we are fortunate enough that chalk holds Friday night, here's the breakdown of the Spartans.

MSU is a team running on fumes at this point. They have been decimated by injuries to the point that their rotation is pretty Coach K-esque. That said, they still play a very Izzo brand of basketball. In other words, they pound the offensive glass and play physical defense. Offensively, they've managed to remain efficient despite being VERY limited in terms of talent. It's largely a one-man show, but it's a pretty good show. They shoot 3s pretty well and pound the offensive glass. On defense, they contest EVERYTHING, but don't force many turnovers.

Centers: Xavier Tillman (6'8", 260lb sophomore) has stepped into the starting center spot due to injury. Tillman isn't going to win any beauty contests for his play on the court, nor is he going to show up on many highlight films for his athleticism. Instead, he's a rugged interior player who dominates on both the offensive and defensive glass when he's in there. His strength and long arms combined with just enough athleticism allow him to block shots as well. He's a decent enough shooter in the midrange that you have to respect him 10-15 feet from the hoop. But he does the VAST majority of his work at the rim, and usually via an assist. Nick Ward (6'8", 245lb junior) is the Spartans' other center. Ward has typically played bigger/doughier than his weight would suggest. He's a really long-armed, highly-skilled center who also lacks in athleticism. But where he differs from Tillman is that he's a fairly polished offensive player. He has great hands and really knows how to score in the paint. He's also an even more dangerous threat as a jumpshooter than Tillman. But like Tillman, he really knows how to throw his weight around inside to get boards and buckets.
Offensively, he's the only of the bigs who really moves the needle. Unfortunately, he suffered an injury midseason, and has since been coming off the bench as MSU has made their tourney run. Still, he's a dangerous option off the bench and one of only two Spartans who can create offense. Both Tillman and Ward struggle with foul trouble, and that combined with their positional similarities limits their minutes. It's largely one or the other on the floor, but rarely both.

Forwards: The Spartans are one of those increasingly-rarer college teams that plays a true two-forward starting five. Kenny Goins (6'7", 230lb senior) starts at the PF spot. Goins was a lightly-used backup big who has been thrust into a major role this season due to injuries. He's a hard-working, low-skill player who doesn't back down from the challenge in the paint and gets the most out of his skill level. Goins is very much a glue-guy type, and has expanded his game to include an improved outside shot. He's by no means a real weapon from the perimeter, but it's not at all unheard of for him to knock down a 3 this year. I'd imagine he would get the first shot at guarding Zion. Alongside Goins is Aaron Henry (6'6", 220lb freshman). Henry is sort of Justise Winslow like in that he's got wing size but is very capable of play the 4. In fact, Henry serves as one of the Spartans' few options as Goins' backup at PF. Henry is a lefty, and is a physical, athletic, less-skilled wing/forward. He's a tough kid who does a lot of the little things but doesn't really jump off the page statistically. He's a nice weapon in transition though. He's hit a high percentage on 3s despite not really looking like much of a shooter, which is reminiscent of Winslow (to me at least). The only real backup at the forward spot is Gabe Brown (6'7", 210lb freshman). Brown is a long and lean wing who can really shoot. But he plays fairly sparingly for the Spartans. He's the 0.5 man in their 6.5 man rotation. But I would expect him to see a real jump in PT next year, as he definitely has talent.

Wings: Matt McQuaid (6'4", 200lb senior) is the starter - and more or less the only option - on the wing. McQuaid is a shooter, pure and simple. He hits 43% of his 3s and 85% of his FTs. Roughly 85% of his shots are jumpshots of 2pt or 3pt range, and the VAST majority are assisted. He isn't a bad athlete, but isn't noteworthy either. He's not much of a threat off the dribble except to punish weak closeouts with a pullup jumper. But he had better not be left open, because he is capable of lighting you up from deep. Injuries have really killed the Spartans at wing, with Josh Langford and Kyle Ahrens going down to season-ending injuries. They will ask McQuaid to play as close to 40 minutes as he can unless it is a blowout.

Guards: Cassius Winston (6'0", 185lb junior) is the Spartans' everything. It's hard to understate how limited this team is everywhere else on the floor, and it's hard to overstate how amazing Winston has been for them. He is just magic with the ball in his hands. He's very much a throwback point guard in that he orchestrates EVERYTHING for the Spartans. He's an uber-elite passer and playmaker, and is a terrific shooter and scorer. His bball IQ is fantastic. Winston leads the team in scoring and assists and has a very strong assist/turnover ratio. He absolutely carries them on the offensive end. Tremendous court vision and awareness, tremendous feel for the game. He's not an explosive athlete, but he knows how to get to his spots and how to get the ball to open men for easy looks. He would be one of Tre Jones' toughest assignments of the season. I can't say enough good things about the way Winston plays. MSU should be a pushove this year given their roster and injuries, but Winston just keeps making magic for them.

Honestly, I'm not sure whether I'd be thrilled to face MSU (because they lack skill at so many spots) or terrified (because they have that "IT" player). It could go either way. If you can contain/fluster Winston or get him in foul trouble, MSU is toast. But if you allow him to make plays for himself or others, MSU can will their way to wins. They are one of the least impressive looking top seeds, but yet they just keep winning. It's really hard to get a feel for how playing against them would go.

kAzE
03-27-2019, 03:36 PM
Excellent scouting report, CDu!

To me, it would appear that this is a pretty favorable match up for Duke on paper. Their bigs aren't very tall or explosive, meaning Zion should be able to elevate above them to grab rebounds and score on offense. I expect the MSU bigs to be extremely physical, but with their lack of depth, they would be under a lot of pressure in terms of foul trouble, and Zion is just about the best guy in this tournament at drawing fouls and finishing through contact.

We should also see a decent amount of Jordan Goldwire shadowing Matt McQuaid (like he did against Cam Johnson) limiting his catch and shoot opportunities, and obviously Tre Jones on Winston all game long. Tre does a really good job on all point guards, but especially on guys who are smaller than him. Winston may indeed be the most skilled/smartest opponent Tre has faced all year long, but I still like the matchup for Duke.

Let's hope we can get past Va Tech, but if we do, MSU (if they advance) does appear to offer a pretty good path to the Final Four. I like the matchup a bit more than LSU, with their athleticism up front.

MChambers
03-27-2019, 03:46 PM
The fancy stats think that MSU is darned good, so I'd be worried about a matchup with MSU. MSU doesn't look all that great on paper, but they just win. They beat Michigan three times in 15 days.

I've watched a bunch of MSU games this year, with family members who are fans.

CDu's preview is pretty comprehensive, but let me add a couple of things.

Kenny Goins reminds me of Lance Thomas. He's not particularly athletic and he doesn't have a great shot (although he has a better shot than Lance did in college), but he gets the job done and is an excellent glue guy. He'll struggle to guard Zion, but who doesn't?

Winston looks and plays like he was transported here from the 1960s. He wears a headband and doesn't have much jumping ability, but he can score and score, with minimal help from his teammates, other than a ball screen or two. When the going gets tough, MSU's offense is pretty much give it to Cassius. Surprisingly, it usually works. You'll see him drive to the rim with a bigger defender on him, and somehow he gets the shot off and it goes in. When MSU lost at Louisville, McQuaid was out and Winston got in foul trouble.

WiJoe
03-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Geez. Why run an msu preview before either team has played? Bad idea.

CDu
03-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Geez. Why run an msu preview before either team has played? Bad idea.

It is a phase thread that encompasses the entire weekend. We break down all of the teams in the Phase. Just like we did for last weekend’s phase. And last year. And the MSU report clearly states “if we are fortunate to advance,” so this isn’t a “looking past our opponent” situation. I am quite aware of the challenge we face on Friday.

WiJoe
03-27-2019, 07:01 PM
It is a phase thread that encompasses the entire weekend. We break down all of the teams in the Phase. Just like we did for last weekend’s phase. And last year. And the MSU report clearly states “if we are fortunate to advance,” so this isn’t a “looking past our opponent” situation. I am quite aware of the challenge we face on Friday.

my bad. sorry about that.

CDu
03-27-2019, 07:03 PM
my bad. sorry about that.

No apology needed. I totally get not wanting to jinx things!