PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Nike Hoop Summit

awhom111
03-25-2019, 09:39 PM
This game tends to get its own thread. This year's game is at 10pm ET on Friday, April 12th.

The world team roster was announced:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/03/world-team-roster.aspx

These days, it feels like there are fewer men of mystery out there with all of the events available to players from around the world.

The US team was announced a while ago, but here it is again:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/02/usa-nike-hoop-summit-roster.aspx

Being on the US team gets you a detailed write up so here is Wendall Moore's:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/03/wendell-moore-jr-feature.aspx

awhom111
04-04-2019, 10:14 PM
It's Vernon Carey's turn to get a feature article:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/04/vernon-carey-feature.aspx

Saratoga2
04-05-2019, 08:08 AM
This game tends to get its own thread. This year's game is at 10pm ET on Friday, April 12th.

The world team roster was announced:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/03/world-team-roster.aspx

These days, it feels like there are fewer men of mystery out there with all of the events available to players from around the world.

The US team was announced a while ago, but here it is again:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/02/usa-nike-hoop-summit-roster.aspx

Being on the US team gets you a detailed write up so here is Wendall Moore's:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/03/wendell-moore-jr-feature.aspx

Wendell Moore is a nice looking young man. He will fit in at Duke and be a credit to himself and the school.

BeachBlueDevil
04-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Love seeing VCJ & Wendell playing together. Wonder if one of them has started a text message group with Hurt yet? ;)

DavidBenAkiva
04-05-2019, 02:53 PM
I really enjoy watching the Nike Hoops Summit as it is the closest thing to seeing these elite high school players in a game setting. And Carey, Moore, and Hurt will all be on the same team this year.

There are a number of big men on the USA roster, which makes me wonder if we will see Hurt in a more of a wing/small forward role on this team. Likewise, will Moore be serving more as a guard or forward? And Carey has had the green light to shoot from outside throughout his high school and AAU career. Will that continue in the Nike Hoops Summit? A lot of things to watch in this year's game.

CDu
04-05-2019, 03:06 PM
I really enjoy watching the Nike Hoops Summit as it is the closest thing to seeing these elite high school players in a game setting. And Carey, Moore, and Hurt will all be on the same team this year.

There are a number of big men on the USA roster, which makes me wonder if we will see Hurt in a more of a wing/small forward role on this team. Likewise, will Moore be serving more as a guard or forward? And Carey has had the green light to shoot from outside throughout his high school and AAU career. Will that continue in the Nike Hoops Summit? A lot of things to watch in this year's game.

It looks like Carey shot 24% from 3 this year and 21% last year. I'd be surprised if he's given a true green light to fire up 3s in this game.

plimnko
04-05-2019, 03:44 PM
It looks like Carey shot 24% from 3 this year and 21% last year. I'd be surprised if he's given a true green light to fire up 3s in this game.

most of his makes must have been on his highlight reel lol

DavidBenAkiva
04-05-2019, 04:09 PM

Where are you getting those stats? In AAU play over the summer (https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Vernon-Carey-Jr/Summary/107983), he shot 35.7% on 1.5 attempts per game from 3.

Some more data (https://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/24329381) - over the course of 19 games during the Nike EYBL and Peach Jam, Carey shot 33.9% from 3 on 56 attempts. The dude has developed his shot.

During the GEICO National Championship tournament yesterday, against Montverde Academy, he made 2 of 4 3-point attempts. He's a good shooter and takes about 3-5 attempts nearly every game I've seen him play.

Here is a really nice play he made to fake the pass and drain an open 3 just yesterday: https://youtu.be/LE63YpKssnc?t=246

proelitedota
04-05-2019, 04:15 PM
We thought Bagley was the best freshman ever at Duke. Along came Zion.
We thought Zion was the best freshman ever at Duke. Along came Vernon...

Acymetric
04-05-2019, 04:16 PM
Where are you getting those stats? In AAU play over the summer (https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Vernon-Carey-Jr/Summary/107983), he shot 35.7% on 1.5 attempts per game from 3.

During the GEICO National Championship tournament yesterday, against Montverde Academy, he made 2 of 4 3-point attempts. He's a good shooter and takes about 3-5 attempts nearly every game I've seen him play.

Here is a really nice play he made to fake the pass and drain an open 3 just yesterday: https://youtu.be/LE63YpKssnc?t=246

He went 5-14 in 8 games in AAU play. Too small a sample size to draw much conclusion about his shooting ability, other than to say it isn't a significant part of his game (1.5 attempts per game).

In high school (https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/vernon-carey-jr/aXIE92DPEea-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm) he went 13-55 in 29 games (24%, 1.9 attempts per game) which is probably more representative. Does not appear he has ever had the green light to shoot the 3 (or if he does, he isn't interested).

CDu
04-05-2019, 04:41 PM
He went 5-14 in 8 games in AAU play. Too small a sample size to draw much conclusion about his shooting ability, other than to say it isn't a significant part of his game (1.5 attempts per game).

In high school (https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/vernon-carey-jr/aXIE92DPEea-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm) he went 13-55 in 29 games (24%, 1.9 attempts per game) which is probably more representative. Does not appear he has ever had the green light to shoot the 3 (or if he does, he isn't interested).

And the previous high school season he went 3-14 (21%). In aggregate, I would say he is a fine shooter for a big, but not a guy you want having a true green light in competitive games. Combine that with the 13-55 in HS and 19-56 (34%) in AAU and you have 32-111, or 29%.

In games against vastly inferior comp, it is probably fine for him to put up the occasional three at sub-30% hit rate.

chrishoke
04-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Are we sure that Carey is healthy and planning to play?

JasonEvans
04-05-2019, 06:02 PM

At the 4:42 mark of that same video, he drains an even longer one, NBA 3-point range. He takes the shot on the move and in a really fluid motion with excellent form. I won't be at all surprised if he shoots 3+ threes per game for Duke next season.

proelitedota
04-05-2019, 06:12 PM
At the 4:42 mark of that same video, he drains an even longer one, NBA 3-point range. He takes the shot on the move and in a really fluid motion with excellent form. I won't be at all surprised if he shoots 3+ threes per game for Duke next season.

If he loses 10-20 more lbs, he might have the foot-speed to play the 4 for us if we miss out on Hurt.

Bolden + Hurt would be a good front court, but they're both weak rebounders. It'll be interesting to watch at least on offense at least.

It's absolutely crucial that we drill VCJ into being a decent rebounder.

Acymetric
04-05-2019, 06:30 PM

There's a pie bet in there somewhere.

proelitedota
04-05-2019, 06:35 PM
There's a pie bet in there somewhere.

Bolden and VCJ light it up from beyond the arc.

PoSiTiONLeSs bAsKeTBalL

roywhite
04-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Wendell Moore is a nice looking young man. He will fit in at Duke and be a credit to himself and the school.

I almost hate to ask...are we thinking Wendell Moore is a one and done type talent? Or "Moore" likely to stay at Duke a bit longer? I haven't seen him ranked as a top 10 prospect, but being named to the Nike Hoops Summit is a significant honor.

UrinalCake
04-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Anybody else catch this news about Moore and an ankle injury? I haven’t seen any follow up since this was tweeted yesterday. The Duke injury curse has gotten to the point that it’s not even a humorous anecdote anymore.

Marc J. Spears
@MarcJSpearsESPN
Duke signee Wendell Moore, Jr., just left @nikehoopsummit practice after suffering a possible ankle injury.

proelitedota
04-11-2019, 09:09 PM
Hoping that both Carey and Moore got their injuries out of the way...

Saratoga2
04-11-2019, 11:20 PM
Hoping that both Carey and Moore got their injuries out of the way...

Plenty of time for them to heal. Lets not have repeats of those.

JasonEvans
04-12-2019, 12:13 PM
I almost hate to ask...are we thinking Wendell Moore is a one and done type talent? Or "Moore" likely to stay at Duke a bit longer? I haven't seen him ranked as a top 10 prospect, but being named to the Nike Hoops Summit is a significant honor.

He's a top 20 recruit, but not nearly top 10. I spoke to him at McD AA media day and he said he hopes to be one and done, but I think he knows the reality is that his game isn't the kind of explosive stuff that turns heads and gets NBA notice. He's more of an all-around solid player without anything (maybe M2M D) that he does at a truly special level. The 2020 mocks I have seen do not have him as a OAD... but we obviously need to see him play a bit at the college level to have a real sense.

proelitedota
04-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Starts in 14 min. Do we know if Moore is out?

Devil2
04-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Moore is playing

duke96
04-12-2019, 11:24 PM
We thought Bagley was the best freshman ever at Duke. Along came Zion.
We thought Zion was the best freshman ever at Duke. Along came Vernon...

You must be kidding?

robed deity
04-12-2019, 11:26 PM
I hope UNC doesn't get Anthony, cause he's a player.

SavDukeGrad
04-12-2019, 11:34 PM
I hope UNC doesn't get Anthony, cause he's a player.

I was thinking the same thing. Man he’s been good in this game.

mr. synellinden
04-13-2019, 12:08 AM
I like Mannion better. Anthony reminds me a bit of Austin Rivers.

robed deity
04-13-2019, 12:12 AM
And I REALLY like Moore.

ncexnyc
04-13-2019, 12:19 AM
Moore played in crunch time at the end of the game. Reminds me of the last Swiss Army type kid we had, Winslow. Unfortunately, UNC would be pretty decent if they score Anthony, as the kid can ball. Hurt looks like a very good player who can do a little bit of everything, it would be nice if we could land him.

SlapTheFloor
04-13-2019, 02:19 AM
Surprised VCJ got so little playing time. Moore looked good. Like Hurt's shot but hate his defense. Anthony looks like a player; hope he goes to Oregon.

proelitedota
04-13-2019, 02:22 AM
Surprised VCJ got so little playing time. Moore looked good. Like Hurt's shot but hate his defense. Anthony looks like a player; hope he goes to Oregon.

VCJ might be gimpy.

AtlDuke72
04-13-2019, 04:14 AM
I like Mannion better. Anthony reminds me a bit of Austin Rivers.

Rivers only looked as good as Anthony one time. Both Mannion and Anthony were incredible in this game. As good as Coby White was this year, based on this game, I think Anthony will be better. Let’s hope he becomes a Duck. James Wiseman is going to dominate. He blocks everything. Wendell Moore was terrific and will be a star from day one. Justice Winslow is a good comparison. Hurt will score a ton next year and also looks like a team player. Carey did not play very much and did not stand out in this game.

lotusland
04-13-2019, 05:05 AM
Rivers was first team all ACC, ACC rookie of the year and third team All American as a freshman . Maybe Anthony will better but don’t count on it.

DUKIE V(A)
04-13-2019, 07:53 AM
Rivers only looked as good as Anthony one time. Both Mannion and Anthony were incredible in this game. As good as Coby White was this year, based on this game, I think Anthony will be better. Let’s hope he becomes a Duck. James Wiseman is going to dominate. He blocks everything. Wendell Moore was terrific and will be a star from day one. Justice Winslow is a good comparison. Hurt will score a ton next year and also looks like a team player. Carey did not play very much and did not stand out in this game.

FWIW, a friend of mine who seems well connected with knowing all things UNC told me last week that UNC feels that Oregon has taken the lead in the Cole Anthony Sweepstakes. He added that Roy and his staff are quite bullish on the development of Black and Robinson for next season. Hope they are right on Anthony and wrong on Black and Robinson.

dukelifer
04-13-2019, 08:59 AM

I think we need to wait until Anthony plays in college before comparisons can be made.

Indoor66
04-13-2019, 09:28 AM
I think we need to wait until Anthony plays in college before comparisons can be made.

You have got to be kidding. Wait until he plays before annointing him?

ndkjr70
04-13-2019, 10:12 AM

You’re undervaluing Rivers, undervaluing Coby, and overvaluing *one game* against a team of freshman.

Anthony might be better than Coby. Anthony might be better than Rivers. But it’s beyond silly to use this game to draw your conclusions.

richardjackson199
04-13-2019, 10:19 AM
You’re undervaluing Rivers, undervaluing Coby, and overvaluing *one game* against a team of freshman.

Anthony might be better than Coby. Anthony might be better than Rivers. But it’s beyond silly to use this game to draw your conclusions.

Anthony is going to be better than Rivers. Jerry Meyer, who has seen him a lot, called him the best point guard prospect he has seen in the past 15 years.

That hopefully can't be true as it would include Kyrie Irving. But we need to accept that Anthony is probably going to be better than Coby White and Austin Rivers. If he isn't, then we'll be pleasantly surprised. And fortunately the cheats are still losing White, Little, Maye, Johnson, and Williams. That is a lot for them. I think Black will become a very good player. I do not think Robinson will.

But we'll see. I expect the cheats to take a step down next year, even with Anthony. And if he somehow goes somewhere else that would be fabulous.

Saratoga2
04-13-2019, 11:02 AM

Hurt is 6'9" and I noticed he shoots the ball from high above his head. Must be very tough to block and he has a nice touch on the shot.

richardjackson199
04-13-2019, 11:07 AM
FWIW, a friend of mine who seems well connected with knowing all things UNC told me last week that UNC feels that Oregon has taken the lead in the Cole Anthony Sweepstakes. He added that Roy and his staff are quite bullish on the development of Black and Robinson for next season. Hope they are right on Anthony and wrong on Black and Robinson.

Tell your cheat friend that Evan Daniels (who picked Anthony to the Cheats) is right 94.2 % of the time. So he's due to get one wrong.

Cheat fans will be apoplectic if they lose Anthony at this point. And Roy's press conferences next year would be must-watch TV.

dukelifer
04-13-2019, 11:24 AM
You have got to be kidding. Wait until he plays before annointing him?

You are right- best guard to ever play at Carolina. After Little won the MVP of the McDonalds game- it was clear that he would be UNCs best player- maybe the best to put on a Carolina jersey.

subzero02
04-13-2019, 11:28 AM
Anthony is going to be better than Rivers. Jerry Meyer, who has seen him a lot, called him the best point guard prospect he has seen in the past 15 years.

That hopefully can't be true as it would include Kyrie Irving. But we need to accept that Anthony is probably going to be better than Coby White and Austin Rivers. If he isn't, then we'll be pleasantly surprised. And fortunately the cheats are still losing White, Little, Maye, Johnson, and Williams. That is a lot for them. I think Black will become a very good player. I do not think Robinson will.

But we'll see. I expect the cheats to take a step down next year, even with Anthony. And if he somehow goes somewhere else that would be fabulous.

If he is including Kyrie and Anthony goes to ewe in sea, it's over.

NSDukeFan
04-13-2019, 12:06 PM
If he is including Kyrie and Anthony goes to ewe in sea, it's over.

Keep in mind that Kyrie wasn’t clearly the best point guard in his class for much of the recruiting cycle, but came on strong at the end. I think Josh Selby was ranked higher than he was and I think there was another guard ranked similarly. Was that Brandon Knight’s year? He was the guy I was really hoping Duke would get, after missing out on Kenny Boynton?

bullettoothtony
04-13-2019, 12:20 PM
^ yep, it was Brandon Knight. I wanted him over Kyrie at the time.

Probably not a surprise I'm not employed as a scout.

Indoor66
04-13-2019, 12:23 PM
Probably not a surprise I'm not employed as a scout.

Who on the board is? Who with the rating groups is? It is all by guess and by golly yet some seem to live and die by "ratings."

NSDukeFan
04-13-2019, 12:31 PM
Who on the board is? Who with the rating groups is? It is all by guess and by golly yet some seem to live and die by "ratings."

I don’t live and die by the ratings but certainly like having more of the higher rated players like coach K and the staff usually get. Fortunately , we couldn’t get Nassir Little and had to settle for the lower ranked Zion instead.

UrinalCake
04-13-2019, 12:51 PM
FWIW, a friend of mine who seems well connected with knowing all things UNC told me last week that UNC feels that Oregon has taken the lead in the Cole Anthony Sweepstakes.

I would love for Anthony to choose Oregon but honestly I can’t imagine why he would. He has the starting spot at UNC just waiting for him, and despite all the failures to develop OAD’s Roy proved this season that when it comes to PG’s he is willing to hand the reins to a freshman. Their system does not develop wings but they do allow PG’s to showcase their skills with how much they run on offense. Combined with the connection that his father has with Hubert Davis, I would be (pleasantly) shocked if Anthony doesn’t pick the cheats.

dukelifer
04-13-2019, 12:59 PM
I would love for Anthony to choose Oregon but honestly I can’t imagine why he would. He has the starting spot at UNC just waiting for him, and despite all the failures to develop OAD’s Roy proved this season that when it comes to PG’s he is willing to hand the reins to a freshman. Their system does not develop wings but they do allow PG’s to showcase their skills with how much they run on offense. Combined with the connection that his father has with Hubert Davis, I would be (pleasantly) shocked if Anthony doesn’t pick the cheats.

UNC is much higher profile- a chance to showcase against Tre Jones. He will be at UNC- for one year. UNC is the next destination for OAD players.

dukelion
04-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Moore really surprised me....didn't realize his handle was so good. Also was physical around the rim with his NBA ready body. I'd be shocked if he didn't start at the 2 or 3 next year.

Hurt clearly can score but he got pushed around out there quite a bit.....hope he bulks up before the fall.

ncexnyc
04-13-2019, 03:57 PM
I'm glad people have brought up the Kyrie Irving vs Brandon Knight subject. Anyone who watched those High School All-Star games that year saw Kyrie doing things that the other PG's, especially Knight weren't able to do. Kyrie was able to split two and sometimes even three defenders in those games.

I realize some people on this forum don't like to make a big deal of these All-Star games, but that man to man between Anthony and Mannion was quite fun last night. For the record this is not just "one" game, but was in fact the second of these games and Anthony looked really good in both so far. I look forward to the Jordan Brand game as that is the last of the three All-Star tilts.

Hopefully Anthony will go out west and we can land Hurt.

Troublemaker
04-13-2019, 04:04 PM
Moore really surprised me...didn't realize his handle was so good. Also was physical around the rim with his NBA ready body. I'd be shocked if he didn't start at the 2 or 3 next year.

Hurt clearly can score but he got pushed around out there quite a bit...hope he bulks up before the fall.

Someone around here's been constantly saying that Wendell is underrated and can be the secondary playmaker on the perimeter after Tre. Oh wait, that person is me.

Billy Dat
04-13-2019, 04:19 PM
I realize some people on this forum don't like to make a big deal of these All-Star games, but that man to man between Anthony and Mannion was quite fun last night. For the record this is not just "one" game, but was in fact the second of these games and Anthony looked really good in both so far. I look forward to the Jordan Brand game as that is the last of the three All-Star tilts. Hopefully Anthony will go out west and we can land Hurt.

The Hoops Summit is the best All Star game by a mile because it is actually well played and guys D up.

I agree that both Anthony and Mannion looked great. I don't see how Anthony could have watched Coby White this year and not want to immediately slide into that UNC PG role. He would be devastating in that system.

I agree about Moore looking good, I am very excited about him. I didn't see the first quarter so I didn't see him shoot from the outside but the rest of his game was very appealing...no extra flash, good fundamentals, able to get to the rim, etc.

Hurt seemed to be already playing the role he'll play in the NBA...stand in the corner and wait for the kick-out. I didn't see him make any 3s but I saw him put it on the floor and take it to the rim. He didn't bowl me over, but he wasn't getting many touches. I thought he oft criticized D wasn't that bad, he seemed to try and contest shots and move his feet.

Missing the start I did not see Cary play at all.

Of everyone else....
-Wiseman is a monster, what an athlete. The kid blocks everything in sight and has nice touch and quickness.
-Maxey looks like a Kentucky kid through and through...flashy, quick, rim attacker, confident.
-Scottie Lewis stood out as a defensive-minded stopper with some offensive game
-Isaiah Stewart plays HARD
-Precious Achiuwa is a monster. If Danny Hurley reels him in, that's a home run.

richardjackson199
04-13-2019, 04:28 PM
-Precious Achiuwa is a monster.

When your name is Precious, you kinda have to be.

AtlDuke72
04-13-2019, 04:31 PM

Sorry to be beyond silly. When are we authorized to make comparisons?

devildeac
04-13-2019, 04:52 PM
When your name is Precious, you kinda have to be.

I thought the cheats *led* for him. :confused:

richardjackson199
04-13-2019, 07:52 PM
I thought the cheats *led* for him. :confused:

Not according to 247 CB. But I don't know anything about recruits we aren't pursuing so no clue.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Precious-Achiuwa-at-Montverde-Academy-223435/CurrentExpertPredictions/

lotusland
04-13-2019, 08:34 PM
Someone around here's been constantly saying that Wendell is underrated and can be the secondary playmaker on the perimeter after Tre. Oh wait, that person is me.

I’ve never seen Wendell play but Cam was going to be secondary playmaker this year and he was often a turnover machine. In fact R.J. tended to play on the ball more the Cam. And yes RJ turned the ball over a lot too. I can also remember when Kennard was going to be a secondary playmaker as a freshman. It can take a minute for freshman to adjust to the speed of the game. Often more than a season. I’ll remain skeptical until I see it.

devildeac
04-13-2019, 10:23 PM
Not according to 247 CB. But I don't know anything about recruits we aren't pursuing so no clue.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Precious-Achiuwa-at-Montverde-Academy-223435/CurrentExpertPredictions/

Ahh, thanks! I forgot which source I saw that claimed the cheats were leading. ABc, baby.

subzero02
04-14-2019, 06:42 AM
Keep in mind that Kyrie wasn’t clearly the best point guard in his class for much of the recruiting cycle, but came on strong at the end. I think Josh Selby was ranked higher than he was and I think there was another guard ranked similarly. Was that Brandon Knight’s year? He was the guy I was really hoping Duke would get, after missing out on Kenny Boynton?

In the final RSCI rankings of 2010, Kyrie Irving was ranked as the #2 player overall. Selby was #6 and Knight was #4. I know that around this time of year in the 2010 recruiting cycle, it was thought that Duke was getting the best point guard in the class. Almost everyone still had Prince Harry as a lock for the # 1 pick in the 2011 draft.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/recruit_rankings_2010.html

proelitedota
04-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Boxscore:
https://www.usab.com/mens/nike-hoop-summit/live-stats.aspx

robed deity
04-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Boxscore:
https://www.usab.com/mens/nike-hoop-summit/live-stats.aspx

I know it's just an all star game, and you can't read too much from plus minus in one game, but +15 from Moore matches what I saw.