PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call: Washington DC / East Regional

Neals384
03-25-2019, 04:51 PM
Who’s going to DC this weekend? I am, and it will be my very first in-person Duke game (hopefully 2 games) ever! I doubt there are many “virgins” on DBR, but I’m one of them and been waiting for the right opportunity to take the plunge.

Will be be attending with my brother and his son. nephew is a VA Tech alum, so there will be a friendly family wager on the outcome.

Who else is going?

-jk
03-25-2019, 05:09 PM
I'll be there, with wife, kid, and DU82. Maybe others...

-jk

thewoosh31
03-25-2019, 05:12 PM
If I could find decently priced tickets, I would love to go and take the wife to her first ever Duke game/live basketball game, especially since I live in Arlington, VA (4 stops away on metro)!

rolm
03-25-2019, 05:31 PM
If I could find decently priced tickets, I would love to go and take the wife to her first ever Duke game/live basketball game, especially since I live in Arlington, VA (4 stops away on metro)!

Trying to find tickets. If successful, will be there on Friday and hopefully Sunday.

MChambers
03-25-2019, 05:33 PM
Going with my adult son (an MSU and Duke fan), on Friday night, taking two shirts, one for each game! I haven't been to a Duke mens' game in quite a few years, really ever since Maryland fans made it dangerous, so this will be a treat.

Go Devils!

AGDukesky
03-25-2019, 05:49 PM
I’ll be there with my 10 yo son

juelsr
03-25-2019, 05:55 PM
Will be there with my husband!

Steven43
03-25-2019, 05:57 PM
Who’s going to DC this weekend? I am, and it will be my very first in-person Duke game (hopefully 2 games) ever! I doubt there are many “virgins” on DBR, but I’m one of them and been waiting for the right opportunity to take the plunge.

You have been waiting for the “right opportunity” to see Duke play in person? Is there ever a wrong opportunity?

SavDukeGrad
03-25-2019, 06:19 PM
I’m flying in and going with my daughter and son-in-law who live in DC.

duke2x
03-25-2019, 09:37 PM
Friday - No. I passed on the chance to buy these in the presale in October for $125/ticket face value. This game scares me more than Sunday's to be honest. This will be a lot like playing KY in Indianapolis or UNC in Charlotte for this year's edition.

Sunday - Maybe. LSU v. Duke will free more tickets up than MSU v. Duke.

Neals384
03-25-2019, 11:31 PM
You have been waiting for the “right opportunity” to see Duke play in person? Is there ever a wrong opportunity?

Yeah, I'm all the way across the country. Last several times I visited family in VA/NC, it was either off-season or Duke was playing away. The two times they came to Oregon didn't work either.

Steven43
03-26-2019, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I'm all the way across the country. Last several times I visited family in VA/NC, it was either off-season or Duke was playing away. The two times they came to Oregon didn't work either.

Oh, okay, that makes sense. I need to be reminded sometimes that not all Duke fans live in Durham and can easily attend games in Cameron Indoor. You are so fortunate to be able to attend the games in DC and watch Duke get to the Final Four.

Bluedevil114
03-26-2019, 06:31 AM
I live in Annapolis. So happy we got the win. I will be there. My company who I work for at the corporate office is a major sponsor. Enterprise Rent-a-Car. I have been there 22 years. I will be there with my boss and a major prospect account. Go Duke.

weezie
03-26-2019, 08:24 AM
I live in Annapolis. So happy we got the win. I will be there. My company who I work for at the corporate office is a major sponsor. Enterprise Rent-a-Car. I have been there 22 years. I will be there with my boss and a major prospect account. Go Duke.

You sound like a nice person who needs a new Blue Devil pal to chum around with! Will there be a corporate box including snacks?

I'm your gal! :cool:

Phredd3
03-26-2019, 10:55 AM
It seems my son, a current Duke student, grabbed a place in the student ticket lottery and will be heading to DC this weekend. He's going with friends, naturally, not his old man. That is at it should be, of course, but still makes me very envious!

Neals384
03-26-2019, 11:05 AM
It seems my son, a current Duke student, grabbed a place in the student ticket lottery and will be heading to DC this weekend. He's going with friends, naturally, not his old man. That is at it should be, of course, but still makes me very envious!

Ouch! I'd cut off the trust fund:cool:

Phredd3
03-26-2019, 12:26 PM
Ouch! I'd cut off the trust fund:cool:

If only there were one....

summerwind03
03-26-2019, 12:38 PM
If I could get face value tickets, I would go with my son. If not Friday, hopefully on Sunday (should we be so fortunate as to advance), where we can go and try to find tickets there. (So PM me if you have tickets!)

WiJoe
03-26-2019, 12:39 PM
You sound like a nice person who needs a new Blue Devil pal to chum around with! Will there be a corporate box including snacks?

I'm your gal! :cool:

smooth !!!

:cool:

Reilly
03-26-2019, 10:28 PM
... Will there be a corporate box including snacks? ...

Exactly how many snacks do you need? I'm guessing you'll first get your forty-five dollar's worth at the pre-game party: https://alumni.duke.edu/events/forever-duke-sweet-sixteen-pre-game-party

Utley
03-26-2019, 10:29 PM
Utley in the COA on Friday.

huey
03-27-2019, 12:12 AM
Will try to go if there're any reasonable tickets. Anyone know the scalping rules in DC? StubHub is looking pretty expensive.

AZLA
03-27-2019, 12:26 AM
Will try to go if there're any reasonable tickets. Anyone know the scalping rules in DC? StubHub is looking pretty expensive.

Haggle and pay quickly. Run in zig zag pattern. Hope tix are legit.

DeweyDevil
03-27-2019, 07:37 AM
Anyone know whether there will be an open practice on Thursday at Capital One Arena? I couldn't find any information online at the NCAA website or at goduke.com.

brevity
03-27-2019, 08:47 AM
Anyone know whether there will be an open practice on Thursday at Capital One Arena? I couldn't find any information online at the NCAA website or at goduke.com.

I don't have a definitive answer to your question, but signs point to no.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch originally reported this (https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/sports/mensbasketball/virginia-tech-men-s-basketball-tickets-for-hokies-duke-game/article_ab288993-3ca9-5c52-8588-1383c7bb8f5d.html):

For fans who can’t afford that, the teams will hold an open practice at the arena on Thursday afternoon, which is free to the public. Traditionally the hour-long practice is a shootaround where the teams get time to acclimate to the arena they’ll be playing in the next time. Timing and other information will be released in the coming days.

But it's since been changed to this (https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-tech/update-virginia-tech-will-not-have-any-open-practices-at/article_aa02d31c-4ea7-11e9-be34-43acda2b5e0a.html):

UPDATE: Virginia Tech will not have a practice open to the public on Thursday in Washington, D.C.

Indoor66
03-27-2019, 08:51 AM
Didn't the NCAA used to mandate an open practice the day before a Tourney came?

weezie
03-27-2019, 09:17 AM

Haggle and pay quickly. Run in zig zag pattern. Hope tix are legit.

AZLA is correct. Scalping is illegal in DC. Police will be vigilant, if the last ACC tourney serves correctly in memory. It's possibly easier in the bars but have the seat map memorized. As to legitimacy, I've only seen that be an issue in NYC but that doesn't mean anything, I know.

IDs sent an email (to anyone who purchased on Sunday evening) notifying that Duke tickets will be in sections 405-406. True nosebleeds in the corner. All the lowers were taken by team family, students and heavy hitters. Only uppers were available to Level 2 donors. IDs offered refunds to anyone not liking those seats, I guess to avoid the uproar. That's unprecedented.

duketaylor
03-27-2019, 03:58 PM
Where r folks staying? Gonna book a room tonite.

KandG
03-27-2019, 04:08 PM
Will try to go if there're any reasonable tickets. Anyone know the scalping rules in DC? StubHub is looking pretty expensive.'

The secondary market for Duke tickets all season has been insanely high priced -- obviously the Zion effect. We typically try to catch Duke in Boston when they're in town to play BC in alternate years, or in the New York area if they don't come to Boston. I was floored by how pricey most of the tickets were even back in November, compared to past seasons.

Have to say it was still worth it to see them in NY, and apparently the prices have only gotten higher since then.

As others have said, seems like Sunday would be the better bet as more tickets will open up, assuming we get to that point.

-jk
03-27-2019, 04:33 PM

Home... in suburban MD

And happy to be home!

-jk

MChambers
03-27-2019, 04:48 PM

In NW DC. Will take the metro to Cap One.

D.C. Devil
03-27-2019, 05:05 PM
I’ve got a line on 2 tickets LL baseline for Sunday at face. If interested, PM me. They probably will be gone before Friday.

duketaylor
03-27-2019, 09:41 PM
and picking up tix from a new friend. If anyone wants to have a few drinks before the game, I'm in. Please PM me. GO DEVILS!!

Reilly
03-27-2019, 10:01 PM
... picking up tix from a new friend. If anyone wants to have a few drinks before the game ...

Is this going to end w/ duketaylor waking up with an empty wallet after a long sleep, and a Nigerian prince catching some Sweet 16 action?

devildeac
03-27-2019, 10:07 PM
Is this going to end w/ duketaylor waking up with an empty wallet after a long sleep, and a Nigerian prince catching some Sweet 16 action?

Well, several months ago he was inquiring about lawyers in the NOVA area, IIRC, and Ozzie asked what kind of trouble he was in, so, with duketaylor, one never knows.

;)

indy1duke
03-27-2019, 10:14 PM
Indy1duke will be in DC staying with his daughter and going to the game with Mrs. Indy. Daughter would love to go to Friday game, but the prices I have seen are very high. Maybe not as high as Maui where two tickets for same daughter and boyfriend were offered for $1300. Offer not accepted. Be careful with your scalper ticket purchase as I learned in Columbia last Sunday the hard way that the tickets may look real even with a hologram but be phony and expensive. The arena ticket office did offer to put me in contact with the police, but no help with tickets. We did get in to see the game and very glad we didn't miss it.

dairedevil
03-28-2019, 12:17 AM
I’ll be in the Dc area to visit with family. It didn’t hit me until Sunday that Duke would be playing in the regionals while I was in town. So, just for fun, I looked to see what seats I might be able to find. Yowza, those suckers are expensive! And way far away from the court. I love my son, but it looks like we will be enjoying a much better view of the game from his sofa

districtduke
03-28-2019, 10:23 AM
I remember NCAA used to let people know what hotels the teams were using, but don't know if that practice/policy has changed. Does anyone know where the Duke Team Hotel will be this time around?

I live in the Shaw/Logan Circle area - my gym is in the Capital One Arena - to that point there is a ridiculously large police presence down there any time there is a game or concert of any sort, so if you are going to scalp be ready to be super sneaky or you'll get busted.

For those of you needing food/drink recommendations, let me know or send me a PM. Chinatown has some good fast-casual places to eat, but the bars are pretty dreadful and obnoxiously expensive (except for Rocket Bar - which used to be a DUKE bar back in the day). If you just go a few blocks either way, prices drop down to normal DC prices (still probably expensive compared to other places in the US).

Also heads up - it'll be a Friday night with pretty mild/Spring air (one of the first warm breaks we've had in 2019), so most restaurants and bars will be PACKED starting at 5-530ish, so I would make reservations or stop into a fast casual spot (got a list if needed).

Hope everyone enjoys the District!