PDA

View Full Version : Research Grant Fraud at Duke

RPS
03-25-2019, 03:40 PM
This is dreadful news. Duke has agreed to pay the U.S. government $112.5 million to settle allegations that it knowingly falsified or fabricated data research in 30 grants (all apparently related to research in Physiology using mice in a particular lab) to the National Institutes of Health and the Environmental Protection Agency between 2006 and 2018, the Department of Justice announced today (https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/duke-university-agrees-pay-us-1125-million-settle-false-claims-act-allegations-related).

Acymetric
03-25-2019, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure "academic fraud" is the right phrase. Research Grant Fraud, Grant Fraud, or Research Fraud would be more appropriate, it isn't related to "academics" in the way most people understand it (as something related to students).

In other (tongue in cheek) news, I am now actively pursuing a career as a whistleblower...what a windfall for that guy.

duke79
03-25-2019, 03:51 PM
This is dreadful news. Duke has agreed to pay the U.S. government $112.5 million to settle allegations that it knowingly falsified or fabricated data research in 30 grants (all apparently related to research in Physiology using mice in a particular lab) to the National Institutes of Health and the Environmental Protection Agency between 2006 and 2018, the Department of Justice announced today (https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/duke-university-agrees-pay-us-1125-million-settle-false-claims-act-allegations-related).

Ugh....NOT good news for Duke but sounds like (probably) the misdeeds of a few people. The article did say that the whistle blower, who works at Duke, will get over $33 million from the settlement. Damn!

RPS
03-25-2019, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure "academic fraud" is the right phrase. Research Grant Fraud, Grant Fraud, or Research Fraud would be more appropriate, it isn't related to "academics" in the way most people understand it (as something related to students).
Given that academic research is crucial to a research university, it's academic fraud. However, I get your point. It isn't academic fraud in the sense of grades or classes (as just down the 15-501).

In other (tongue in cheek) news, I am now actively pursuing a career as a whistleblower...what a windfall for that guy.
Indeed.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-25-2019, 04:49 PM

I think the whistleblower just barely passed Coach K as the highest paid current or former Duke employee.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-25-2019, 04:52 PM
I have said for years...(NOT related to Duke) that the athletic departments are NOT where the big corruption is......it's the other side.....

Jeffrey
03-25-2019, 06:36 PM
I have said for years...(NOT related to Duke) that the athletic departments are NOT where the big corruption is...it's the other side....

Are you defending Roy?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-25-2019, 10:11 PM
Are you defending Roy?

not at all.....not defending ANYTHING.....it's all relative.....

riverside6
03-26-2019, 01:00 PM
A little humor related to this story...

https://twitter.com/JamesCurle/status/1110250637546192896

cspan37421
03-26-2019, 03:42 PM
Plus, the mice involved were not paid the market value of their services to humanity. All they got was government cheese.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Plus, the mice involved were not paid the market value of their services to humanity. All they got was government cheese.

touche...and they normally give their ALL