PDA

View Full Version : Phil

rthomas
03-24-2019, 06:27 PM
Who the heck is Phil, and why do they keep playing these Phil commercials?

Acymetric
03-24-2019, 06:31 PM
Because the one about his former days as a "player" is hilarious (the other ones are..."ok").

CDu
03-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Because the one about his former days as a "player" is hilarious (the other ones are..."ok").

I like the “Freebird” one too.

MartyClark
03-24-2019, 07:45 PM
The commercials are terrible. "Phil" doesn't sell the role.

As much as I dislike Will Ferrell, the commercials need someone like him to sell the theme.

flyingdutchdevil
03-24-2019, 08:24 PM
The commercials are terrible. "Phil" doesn't sell the role.

As much as I dislike Will Ferrell, the commercials need someone like him to sell the theme.

We'll agree to disagree. I think "Phil" is great and plays the part well.

What I hate about this AT&T campaign (not just these commercials) is that these professionals aren't "okay", they are "terrible". From the tattoo artist to the doctor to the mechanic to the commentator, they are all horrible at their jobs.

mph
03-24-2019, 08:37 PM
We'll agree to disagree. I think "Phil" is great and plays the part well.

What I hate about this AT&T campaign (not just these commercials) is that these professionals aren't "okay", they are "terrible". From the tattoo artist to the doctor to the mechanic to the commentator, they are all horrible at their jobs.

Agree. Think Phil does a great job selling the role. One quibble with the “player” commercial: Any announcer who recognizes that stories from his playing days are boring is a GREAT announcer in my book.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-24-2019, 08:57 PM
I think the "that's our thang" thing...or thang.......is contrived and stupid. Especially about the 437th time.

JetpackJesus
03-24-2019, 09:12 PM
Who the heck is Phil, and why do they keep playing these Phil commercials?

I mentioned it in another thread, but it's that "keep playing" part that makes the ads not work for me. I think they're generally good at first, but then I have to watch them before every stream starts. Then I have to watch them during the actual commercial breaks. It's just too much, and now I don't like the ads.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2019, 09:39 PM
1. Yellow is a primary color, not a secondary.

2. When I see a thread titled “Phil,” I think “Lesh”

scottdude8
03-24-2019, 09:48 PM
It took me forever to realize where I recognized that guy from... but he was one of the contributors on “The Opposition with Jordan Klepper” during its short (but, especially towards the end, fantastic) run trying to follow up The Daily Show. Guys name is Tim Baltz. Look up his stuff, he’s fantastic... and doing the most with a super weird add campaign IMHO.

BD80
03-24-2019, 10:00 PM
It took me forever to realize where I recognized that guy from... but he was one of the contributors on “The Opposition with Jordan Klepper” during its short (but, especially towards the end, fantastic) run trying to follow up The Daily Show. Guys name is Tim Baltz. Look up his stuff, he’s fantastic... and doing the most with a super weird add campaign IMHO.

Baltz has fantastic comedic timing, not good, great. Some of the material is a little weak, and the commercials are overplayed, but Baltz really makes it work.

bludevil_33
03-24-2019, 10:37 PM
The fact that we're sitting here talking about it is evidence that AT&T's campaign is a success, no matter how you feel about it.

weezie
03-24-2019, 10:41 PM
Good point, but we also discussed the barbershop quartet Geico ad and that just makes my want to punch somebody's straw hat crown straight through like the olden days at Yale and Princeton.

roywhite
03-24-2019, 10:47 PM
Watch enough of the Tournament and you're bound to see endless repetitions of some of the same commercials. But I'll bear that burden if it means seeing Duke play 4 more games.

killerleft
03-24-2019, 11:02 PM
Bring back Lilly. Give her some real sass.

Pghdukie
03-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Phil reminds me of a cross between Dickie V and Bilas. A whole lot of talk, but not a whole lot of substance ! Phil will be the top ESPN analyst with a little more "color"

Lurkingdukedog
03-25-2019, 07:03 PM
Bring back Lilly. Give her some real sass.

I agree - Lilly was great for AT and T. The present commercials not so much.

And while we're bashing commercials, the BudLight commercials are just so lame. . . .

OldPhiKap
03-25-2019, 07:05 PM
I agree - Lilly was great for AT and T. The present commercials not so much.

And while we're bashing commercials, the BudLight commercials are just so lame. . . .

I like corn syrup. I just don’t like mass-produced beer.