PDA

View Full Version : Duke Bar of Record for Game Night in Durham?

Monmouth77
03-24-2019, 09:40 AM
I’m looking for the latest intelligence on which Durham bar is going to be the most fun for tonight’s game. I’m in town with a couple of fellow alums and we know Satisfactions has closed. Clouds in Brightleaf seems popular but they didn’t have sound for the game Friday. Is it Devines or bust?

Tooold
03-24-2019, 12:50 PM
I’m looking for the latest intelligence on which Durham bar is going to be the most fun for tonight’s game. I’m in town with a couple of fellow alums and we know Satisfactions has closed. Clouds in Brightleaf seems popular but they didn’t have sound for the game Friday. Is it Devines or bust?

Maybe Bull McCabes or the new campus bar in basement of student union.

SupaDave
03-24-2019, 02:29 PM
Tobacco Road would be the easy choice here I would think.

And the dry rub wings at Kickback Jacks are LITTY!!!!

Native
03-24-2019, 03:04 PM
Tobacco Road would be the easy choice here I would think.

+1 for TR. Not a dive-y sports bar by any stretch, so you’ll probably have some family and dinner crowd there, but they have more screens per capita than most bars in the Triangle and they should definitely have sound on.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Devine’s is a small bar packed full of Duke fans. Not far from East Campus.

uh_no
03-24-2019, 04:48 PM
+1 for TR. Not a dive-y sports bar by any stretch, so you’ll probably have some family and dinner crowd there, but they have more screens per capita than most bars in the Triangle and they should definitely have sound on.

you're lucky if you get 2 beers over the course of an evening though. my experience with the service is, unfortunately, not so positive (probably more to understaffing than anything else). I also find the beer choices extremely bland and the food average.

For better or worse, the only reason I go there is if there's a bulls game going on and I can sit out on the patio...and it's a shame....because if there was anything else that really stood out about it, I'd be there far more often.

Monmouth77
03-24-2019, 10:55 PM
Thanks all. I ended up at Taylor’s Taproom on the American Tobacco Campus near the DBAP. No sound but it was fine. I was looking for an alternative to Tobacco Road honestly— agree with Uh No’s assessment. It’s amazing to me that there is no real exciting loud, Duke-partisan bar in Durham. That’s what Satty’s was in the 90s and early aughts and there’s no real successor. Devines is sort of like that but small and pretty tired.