PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. UCF (3/24, 5:15 CBS) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

pfrduke
03-23-2019, 01:07 AM
Zion. Tacko. Discuss.

ndkjr70
03-23-2019, 01:35 AM
I wanted to avoid a P5 team in the second round so I’m glad about that. But UCF can be a handful. Not worried about Zion getting his, especially in transition, but if they get hot from the arc they’re a tough draw.

I’ve got Duke cruising, still. 8 point lead at half turns into 15 early on and the game isn’t very nerve wracking from there.

Reilly
03-23-2019, 01:46 AM
Duke is 15 points better in the SRS.

UCF has played three games against AP-ranked teams: 9-point loss to #12 Houston ... 5-point win @ #8 Houston ... 3-point win over #20 Cincinnati

84Duke
03-23-2019, 01:50 AM
I will hate to have to beat Johnny Dawkins and his son, but I hope they will understand it has to be done.

AustinDevil
03-23-2019, 04:48 AM
Zion. Tacko. Discuss.

Tacko is certainly willing to discuss.

“‘It’s very hard [to dunk on me],’ Fall told NCAA.com on Friday night. ‘I mean, I won't allow it. I won’t allow it. I won’t allow him putting me on one of his highlight tapes.’”

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26338255/allow-zion-posterize-me

Skitzle
03-23-2019, 05:09 AM
Wait... Did Hurley just lose to Dawkins in the first round

(Edit:NM that was the women's game where AzSt played UCF)

UrinalCake
03-23-2019, 06:02 AM
Pretty much mandatory that Zion dunks on Taco Man.

gocanes0506
03-23-2019, 07:36 AM
I would try to play as many guys as I could this game and up the tempo. Make the big man get up and down the floor. Once he gets tired he’ll do a lot more reaching than moving those feet.

From what I saw last night, as long as the defender is stays goal side of him then Taco doesn’t have much. His points were from dunks on lob passes when the defender was on the high side.

Dawkins knows we switch everything. Do we see a ton of high ball screens hoping Tre switches on Taco?

AGDukesky
03-23-2019, 07:47 AM
The biggest guys VCU played were 6”8” 210-215. Fall basically doesn’t jump and he doesn’t keep his hands straight up. We should be able to draw fouls and Bolden has enough size to keep Tacko more honest. He’s a unique player but we simply better across the board. I just hope his size doesn’t get into players” heads and we settle for 3s all game- unless we shoot 41% again of course...

Edit: I forgot VCU had Santos-Silva who is 6’7” 250, but he had that hard fall and wasn’t effective the second half missing much of it

devildeac
03-23-2019, 08:01 AM
K played 8 guys >10 minutes with RJ playing the most as he totaled 34 minutes. This, combined with the ~710 PM/early start time last evening, hopefully allows a nice rest/recovery period before Sunday tip-off.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-23-2019, 08:03 AM
I would try to play as many guys as I could this game and up the tempo. Make the big man get up and down the floor. Once he gets tired he’ll do a lot more reaching than moving those feet.

From what I saw last night, as long as the defender is stays goal side of him then Taco doesn’t have much. His points were from dunks on lob passes when the defender was on the high side.

Dawkins knows we switch everything. Do we see a ton of high ball screens hoping Tre switches on Taco?

RUN RUN RUN.....Falls doesn't play that many minutes anyway....it would be helpful to have him gassed early.....

arnie
03-23-2019, 08:08 AM
Duke has never lost to the 8/9 seed and think we’ve been in this position 12 times if I heard correctly. I recall a couple of tight games, including Kansas many years ago. I don’t see UCF as strong competition, but we have to be willing to push the ball as noted above.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-23-2019, 08:12 AM
Duke has never lost to the 8/9 seed and think we’ve been in this position 12 times if I heard correctly. I recall a couple of tight games, including Kansas many years ago. I don’t see UCF as strong competition, but we have to be willing to push the ball as noted above.

I never like the second round and the 8/9 winner....because 8s and 9s are usually really good teams. Often they're middle of the conference Power 5 teams....who are used to very good competition. That's not the case with UCF or VCU....but while all the top seeds are guaranteed a good second round opponent, some teams get lucky and get to play 12s 13s 14s in the second round. I mean VT versus Liberty? Sheesh.

cspan37421
03-23-2019, 08:26 AM
I will hate to have to beat Johnny Dawkins and his son, but I hope they will understand it has to be done.

Agreed. Someone has to be the Fall guy. :D

I'll see myself out ....

CDu
03-23-2019, 08:36 AM
UCF is coached by our old friend and Duke legend Johnny Dawkins. They are a solid defensive team (#35 nationally) and a solid offensive team (#58), although their profile is somewhat interesting. They are really big inside, which is what differentiates them.

Defensively, UCF is extremely good at defending both 3s and 2s, and also fantastic at defending free throws (#4 nationally) . They block a lot of shots (#36) and alter a lot of others (#12 in eFG%). What they don't do well defensively is force turnovers (#184) or rebound (#237). Offensively, they are largely a two-man show with balance thereafter. They don't shoot great away from the rim, but excel at drawing fouls (#2). They try to make the game as slow as feasible (#312 in tempo) as their primary big man is glacially slow.

Centers: Tacko Fall (7'6", 310lb senior from Senegal) is the man in the middle. Fall is incredibly tall and long, as evidenced by his 7'6" height. He's a terrific rebounder and an elite shotblocker, and UCF's defense is substantially better with him on the floor. Fall is very limited offensively, basically only scoring at the rim (83% of his shots are at the rim, hitting 80% of them). The problem for Fall is that he is EXTREMELY slow. To be fair, he's very nimble for a man his size. But it's just really hard to get a body that big moving and changing directions. So he tries to camp out in the lane as much as he can. If you are in his area, he will affect the shot. But he isn't going to track anyone very well other than straight-line drives. He also fatigues somewhat, and as such plays just 25 mpg. Fall's backup is Chad Brown (6'9", 245lb senior). Brown is a rugged, athletic role player. He rebounds really well, blocks shots, and can score around the rim, but his skill set is mainly as a screen and roll player and dirty-work guy. Like Fall, he has absolutely no range.

Forwards: Collin Smith (6'11", 240lb sophomore transfer from George Washington) is the starter at forward. Smith is a baseline lurker on offense who isn't afraid to shoot a 3 if left open. He's not as physical as Brown, not as tall as Fall. And he just isn't as impactful as either guy on the boards or blocking shots. But he's a much more capable offensive player, and as such provides a nice pairing with either of those two bigs. The Knights don't really play another big.

Wings: Aubrey Dawkins (6'6", 205lb fifth-year junior transfer from Michigan) is one of the stars on the wing for the Knights, the son of Johnny, and a Durham native. Aubrey is nothing like his dad as a player, but he's still a solid college player. Aubrey can shoot (42% from 3, 81% form the line for his career). But he's pure wing, and more of a wing forward than a wing guard. Occasionally, Dawkins plays a de facto PF when two of their three bigs are out. He's largely a catch and shoot guy, and doesn't do a lot of ballhandling for the Knights. He's not nearly the athlete or playmaker that his dad was. The first backup on the wing is Dayon Griffin (6'4", 210lb senior transfer from La Tech). Griffin is a springy, strong kid who doesn't mind shooting. But he's not a great shooter (34%). He's streaky and can get hot from 3, but mainly After Griffin is Frank Bertz (6'5", 180lb junior JuCo transfer). Bertz is a long, athletic, role player for the Knights. He's a solid shooter and pretty much only shoots as a catch-and-shoot guy. Defensively, he's disruptive and gets some steals. But otherwise, he's very much a role player. The last option is Ceasar DeJesus (6'2", 190lb sophomore). DeJesus is more of a slasher offensively, but he's fairly turnover prone. He's a defensive fill-in more than anything, and just minutes-eater as needed.

Guards: The Knights run a two-guard offense most of the game, with BJ Taylor (6'2", 195lb fifth-year senior) and Terrell Allen (6'3", 185lb junior transfer from Drexel). At least one of them is on the floor at all times, and frequently they share the floor. Taylor is probably better described as a combo guard, a score-first PG type. But he does a lot of the ballhandling for the Knights. He's not explosive or athletic, but he's really strong and smart. He knows how to score, and is a big-time shotmaker for the Knights. He doesn't shoot at a high percentage, but he hits the big shots for them. A tough, tough kid who knows how to get and make his shot, and has some playmaking skills for others too. And he's very solid with the ball. Allen is more of a caretaker on offense, serving primarily as a distributor/facilitator for the Knights. He's athletic and a willing defender, and not a liability as a shooter if left alone. But he's a bit like Tyler Thornton in that regard in that he won't put it up unless he's wide open.

dukelifer
03-23-2019, 08:48 AM
UCF is coached by our old friend and Duke legend Johnny Dawkins. They are a solid defensive team (#35 nationally) and a solid offensive team (#58), although their profile is somewhat interesting. They are really big inside, which is what differentiates them.

Defensively, UCF is extremely good at defending both 3s and 2s, and also fantastic at defending free throws (#4 nationally) . They block a lot of shots (#36) and alter a lot of others (#12 in eFG%). What they don't do well defensively is force turnovers (#184) or rebound (#237). Offensively, they are largely a two-man show with balance thereafter. They don't shoot great away from the rim, but excel at drawing fouls (#2). They try to make the game as slow as feasible (#312 in tempo) as their primary big man is glacially slow.

Centers: Tacko Fall (7'6", 310lb senior from Senegal) is the man in the middle. Fall is incredibly tall and long, as evidenced by his 7'6" height. He's a terrific rebounder and an elite shotblocker, and UCF's defense is substantially better with him on the floor. Fall is very limited offensively, basically only scoring at the rim (83% of his shots are at the rim, hitting 80% of them). The problem for Fall is that he is EXTREMELY slow. To be fair, he's very nimble for a man his size. But it's just really hard to get a body that big moving and changing directions. So he tries to camp out in the lane as much as he can. If you are in his area, he will affect the shot. But he isn't going to track anyone very well other than straight-line drives. He also fatigues somewhat, and as such plays just 25 mpg. Fall's backup is Chad Brown (6'9", 245lb senior). Brown is a rugged, athletic role player. He rebounds really well, blocks shots, and can score around the rim, but his skill set is mainly as a screen and roll player and dirty-work guy. Like Fall, he has absolutely no range.

Forwards: Collin Smith (6'11", 240lb sophomore transfer from George Washington) is the starter at forward. Smith is a baseline lurker on offense who isn't afraid to shoot a 3 if left open. He's not as physical as Brown, not as tall as Fall. And he just isn't as impactful as either guy on the boards or blocking shots. But he's a much more capable offensive player, and as such provides a nice pairing with either of those two bigs. The Knights don't really play another big.

Wings: Aubrey Dawkins (6'6", 205lb fifth-year junior transfer from Michigan) is one of the stars on the wing for the Knights, the son of Johnny, and a Durham native. Aubrey is nothing like his dad as a player, but he's still a solid college player. Aubrey can shoot (42% from 3, 81% form the line for his career). But he's pure wing, and more of a wing forward than a wing guard. Occasionally, Dawkins plays a de facto PF when two of their three bigs are out. He's largely a catch and shoot guy, and doesn't do a lot of ballhandling for the Knights. He's not nearly the athlete or playmaker that his dad was. The first backup on the wing is Dayon Griffin (6'4", 210lb senior transfer from La Tech). Griffin is a springy, strong kid who doesn't mind shooting. But he's not a great shooter (34%). He's streaky and can get hot from 3, but mainly After Griffin is Frank Bertz (6'5", 180lb junior JuCo transfer). Bertz is a long, athletic, role player for the Knights. He's a solid shooter and pretty much only shoots as a catch-and-shoot guy. Defensively, he's disruptive and gets some steals. But otherwise, he's very much a role player. The last option is Ceasar DeJesus (6'2", 190lb sophomore). DeJesus is more of a slasher offensively, but he's fairly turnover prone. He's a defensive fill-in more than anything, and just minutes-eater as needed.

Guards: The Knights run a two-guard offense most of the game, with BJ Taylor (6'2", 195lb fifth-year senior) and Terrell Allen (6'3", 185lb junior transfer from Drexel). At least one of them is on the floor at all times, and frequently they share the floor. Taylor is probably better described as a combo guard, a score-first PG type. But he does a lot of the ballhandling for the Knights. He's not explosive or athletic, but he's really strong and smart. He knows how to score, and is a big-time shotmaker for the Knights. He doesn't shoot at a high percentage, but he hits the big shots for them. A tough, tough kid who knows how to get and make his shot, and has some playmaking skills for others too. And he's very solid with the ball. Allen is more of a caretaker on offense, serving primarily as a distributor/facilitator for the Knights. He's athletic and a willing defender, and not a liability as a shooter if left alone. But he's a bit like Tyler Thornton in that regard in that he won't put it up unless he's wide open.

In my watching the game yesterday- it is clear that Fall is important to their D. He is slow but takes up space. It will take Duke a while to figure out how to attack him- maybe RJ floaters. Whatever Duke can do to get him off the floor - particularly with foul trouble- will help a lot. They are very active on D and like to push the ball on O. This is not a bad team. Duke will need to wear them down as they are not very deep.

GTHroy!
03-23-2019, 09:10 AM
Tacko is certainly willing to discuss.

“‘It’s very hard [to dunk on me],’ Fall told NCAA.com on Friday night. ‘I mean, I won't allow it. I won’t allow it. I won’t allow him putting me on one of his highlight tapes.’”

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26338255/allow-zion-posterize-me

Zion is going to ring Tacko’s Bell!

budwom
03-23-2019, 09:20 AM
a bit of interior passing would seem to be in order...his lateral movement is minimal...

DukeDevil
03-23-2019, 09:21 AM

I'd love to see Zion dunk all over Fall, but honestly I don't want it to be a situation where Tacko decides he's going to do everything to prevent it and we get one of those bad, high in the air fouls that can really hurt someone as a result. Also, as much as the front page made of his saying he won't allow Zion to put him on a highlight tape as trash talk, when you listen to the whole thing is was far less cocky and far more respectful...like Zion is an amazing talent but I'm not going to roll over and let him do whatever he wants. I'll take any bulletin board material for the team to be incentivized to play hard from minute 1 though.

OldPhiKap
03-23-2019, 09:28 AM

GTHroy wins the Internet for the day — both for the post, and the name.

devildeac
03-23-2019, 09:30 AM
Agreed. Someone has to be the Fall guy. :D

I'll see myself out ...

Pretty Tacko of you.

But, as you asked in another thread, "Why should I care?"

Reilly
03-23-2019, 09:54 AM
CBS site showing Duke as a 13-point favorite and over/under of 143.5. So, 79-65 gets us a cover and an over.

Troublemaker
03-23-2019, 10:01 AM

I agree with the strategy but would note that we've played uptempo all season with a short rotation.

Hopefully Jack is healthy this game because I think either version of the death lineup (JGold or Jack) could cause UCF tons of headaches.

They're not going to guard Zion with Tacko (even a hard Tacko), so Tacko will have to get to the corner to cover Jack's corner threes. Maybe. People will use the cliche "unstoppable force meets immovable object" to describe Zion vs Tacko, but the real battle might be between Tacko not leaving the paint vs Jack not hitting threes to make Tacko leave the paint. But yeah, it's not ideal for UCF if Zion plays center.

I'd be surprised if Tacko were agile enough to connect on a screen of Tre to force a switch.

But yes, generally I don't mind switching 1 thru 5, but this seems to be one opponent where that is not ideal. Tacko's catch radius makes entry passes easy if has a "mouse in the house" situation in the paint.

ncexnyc
03-23-2019, 10:08 AM
The bigger they are, the Tacko they Fall.

jv001
03-23-2019, 10:16 AM
I agree with the strategy but would note that we've played uptempo all season with a short rotation.

Hopefully Jack is healthy this game because I think either version of the death lineup (JGold or Jack) could cause UCF tons of headaches.

They're not going to guard Zion with Tacko (even a hard Tacko), so Tacko will have to get to the corner to cover Jack's corner threes. Maybe. People will use the cliche "unstoppable force meets immovable object" to describe Zion vs Tacko, but the real battle might be between Tacko not leaving the paint vs Jack not hitting threes to make Tacko leave the paint. But yeah, it's not ideal for UCF if Zion plays center.

I'd be surprised if Tacko were agile enough to connect on a screen of Tre to force a switch.

But yes, generally I don't mind switching 1 thru 5, but this seems to be one opponent where that is not ideal. Tacko's catch radius makes entry passes easy if has a "mouse in the house" situation in the paint.

One of the teams that I watched had their point guard switch onto the big but he(pg) quickly recovered back to the opposing point guard. I don't remember the team after watching so much basketball over the last 2 days and I don't know if that defense even has a name, but I do know they ran that defense very well. Their point guard seldom had to guard the opposing teams big man. GoDuke!

duke96
03-23-2019, 10:19 AM
One of the teams that I watched had their point guard switch onto the big but he(pg) quickly recovered back to the opposing point guard. I don't remember the team after watching so much basketball over the last 2 days and I don't know if that defense even has a name, but I do know they ran that defense very well. Their point guard seldom had to guard the opposing teams big man. GoDuke!

I wonder if we end up playing a bunch of zone in this game.

devildeac
03-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Excellent insight, but I prefer a soft Tacko.

DavidBenAkiva
03-23-2019, 10:26 AM
This is an interesting matchup for Duke. The word is out that the best approach to containing Duke is to pack it in on defense. That UCF has a guy that can cover so much space horizontally and vertically around the rim makes this an interesting matchup. That UCF is coached by a former Duke player and assistant coach makes it all the more intriguing of a matchup.

One thing that jumps out a lot when looking at the stats is the interior focus of this UCF Knights team. They take the 10th most free throws in the nation but are among the worst free throw shooting teams at 64.7%. Almost all of that can be attributed to Tacko Fall, who is a 36% free throw shooter but makes 75% of his field goal attempts. It's much better to put Fall on the line than allow him to get the ball in post position around the basket.

Looking at their other offensive stats, and UCF just does not stand out in any category. They are 88th in the nation in 3P% and 89th in 2P%. So it should be no surprise to see that they are 84th in the nation in effective FG%. UCF takes a lot of free throws, doesn't make them very often, but doesn't do anything else particularly well or poorly.

The Knights hang their hats on defense. They are a good but not great shot blocking team. They do not force many turnovers. What they do is make life super difficult for teams to take good shots at the rim or along the perimeter. Tacko Fall makes players think twice about going to the rim. And then UCF surrounds him with a number of quick guards that get in the opponents' face on jump shots. There are just not a lot of clean looks.

Tempo is going to be key in this matchup. UCF plays at a slow pace. While it certainly looks like Fall is lumbering giant, remember that he looks much slower than he is. He doesn't get beat down the court very often. But his stamina is a real issue that can be exploited. I'd like to see if Marques Bolden can get an advantage by running out in transition. That will be the real test - if Bolden can get into the paint before Fall, Duke will have found way to get easy looks.

On offense, expect to see Zion work his way around and past Fall, either off the dribble or from gathering an offensive rebound. I also think Tre Jones, R.J. Barrett, and Cam Reddish could thrive against the Knights by taking a few mid-range jumpers. That's usually a bad idea, but getting to the rim when Fall is on the court might not be the best approach. Better to take a short jumper and exploit Duke's offensive rebounding advantage.

I expect an ugly game early with Duke finding success in the latter part of the 1st half or early 2nd half. Hopefully, Zion and Bolden can force a few fouls on Fall and really open up the lane. This is not going to be an easy matchup, but one that Duke should win. Let's Go Duke!

curtis325
03-23-2019, 10:53 AM
This is an interesting matchup for Duke. The word is out that the best approach to containing Duke is to pack it in on defense. That UCF has a guy that can cover so much space horizontally and vertically around the rim makes this an interesting matchup. That UCF is coached by a former Duke player and assistant coach makes it all the more intriguing of a matchup.

One thing that jumps out a lot when looking at the stats is the interior focus of this UCF Knights team. They take the 10th most free throws in the nation but are among the worst free throw shooting teams at 64.7%. Almost all of that can be attributed to Tacko Fall, who is a 36% free throw shooter but makes 75% of his field goal attempts. It's much better to put Fall on the line than allow him to get the ball in post position around the basket.

Looking at their other offensive stats, and UCF just does not stand out in any category. They are 88th in the nation in 3P% and 89th in 2P%. So it should be no surprise to see that they are 84th in the nation in effective FG%. UCF takes a lot of free throws, doesn't make them very often, but doesn't do anything else particularly well or poorly.

The Knights hang their hats on defense. They are a good but not great shot blocking team. They do not force many turnovers. What they do is make life super difficult for teams to take good shots at the rim or along the perimeter. Tacko Fall makes players think twice about going to the rim. And then UCF surrounds him with a number of quick guards that get in the opponents' face on jump shots. There are just not a lot of clean looks.

Tempo is going to be key in this matchup. UCF plays at a slow pace. While it certainly looks like Fall is lumbering giant, remember that he looks much slower than he is. He doesn't get beat down the court very often. But his stamina is a real issue that can be exploited. I'd like to see if Marques Bolden can get an advantage by running out in transition. That will be the real test - if Bolden can get into the paint before Fall, Duke will have found way to get easy looks.

On offense, expect to see Zion work his way around and past Fall, either off the dribble or from gathering an offensive rebound. I also think Tre Jones, R.J. Barrett, and Cam Reddish could thrive against the Knights by taking a few mid-range jumpers. That's usually a bad idea, but getting to the rim when Fall is on the court might not be the best approach. Better to take a short jumper and exploit Duke's offensive rebounding advantage.

I expect an ugly game early with Duke finding success in the latter part of the 1st half or early 2nd half. Hopefully, Zion and Bolden can force a few fouls on Fall and really open up the lane. This is not going to be an easy matchup, but one that Duke should win. Let's Go Duke!

Will we see Vrank in for 5 Hack-a-Tacks?

follyblue
03-23-2019, 11:08 AM
First, having seen him live, let me say I love Tacko and found myself cheering for him. His early minutes were abysmal, and he was quickly benched, but he seemed to improve as the game wore on to the great delight of most in the arena. Having said that he is a limited player. He is obviously an astonishingly large person, but,as mentioned, he has virtually no mobility, and he frequently appears to lack full control over his arms and hands. I think his size really does put a limit on his ability to corral balls if he is crowded at all. He won’t be following anyone effectively outside of the paint. UCF guards frequently grabbed rebounds in his vicinity seemingly before he got in motion to grab the ball. It really did not appear to me that he impacted a lot of VCU shots. They simply played away, around, and sometimes straight into him. And of course his minutes are limited by his stamina. He’s a delight to watch, but I don’t see him putting a stop to the Zion show. I’m more worried about making sure we continue with our great defense and preventing the rest of the team from heating up offensively, which they did for spurts yesterday.

budwom
03-23-2019, 11:09 AM
once again I think we'll try to pick up the pace by pressuring them on defense and running whenever we can...just hope we don't settle for too many quick three point attempts.

MChambers
03-23-2019, 11:20 AM
I wonder if we end up playing a bunch of zone in this game.

Duke hasn't played a lot of zone all year. Why would we tomorrow? Are you worried about switches or about Tacko posting up? If the latter, he's got a very low usage rate.

wavedukefan70s
03-23-2019, 11:25 AM

I believe javin can run fall some aswell.sweating this game .but I believe we can win.

slower
03-23-2019, 11:28 AM
I expect an ugly game early with Duke finding success in the latter part of the 1st half or early 2nd half.
I sure hope that this isn't our new normal.

MrPoon
03-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Will we see Vrank in for 5 Hack-a-Tacks?

I had the same thought but that flys in the face of keeping the pace up.

Just taking a quick look at the last eight game (I got bored after that).
Fall, 3 fouls 19m L Houston
0 fouls 26 mins win SMU
4f 28m win S FL
3f 32m win Houston
3f 24m win Cinn.
4f 19m loss to Temple
3f 25 loss Memphis
2f 28 w VCU

It’s not clear from that very small sample size if his short minutes are fitness or fouls. But 3 fouls seems the norm. I wouldn’t be surprised if Duke attacks him. Zion especially who can get players if fouls trouble and is strong enough to drive into the body of a shot blocker. But I worry about a strategy that requires good officiating, something rare in NCAAs.

It’s also interesting to note that they lost two of their last three but also played a reasonable mid major schedule with Houston, Cinn and Temple.

To me, its a reasonable second round opponent but not a huge concern. I’m always (many here will know why) concerned more about hot shooting gaurds in the NCAAs. This team doesn’t seem to have that.

wavedukefan70s
03-23-2019, 12:38 PM
I was also thinking zions leaping ability may be better than tackos reach .can tacko reach above the box .I'm sure zion can rebound that high.

Avvocato
03-23-2019, 12:54 PM
I'd love to see Zion dunk all over Fall, but honestly I don't want it to be a situation where Tacko decides he's going to do everything to prevent it and we get one of those bad, high in the air fouls that can really hurt someone as a result. Also, as much as the front page made of his saying he won't allow Zion to put him on a highlight tape as trash talk, when you listen to the whole thing is was far less cocky and far more respectful...like Zion is an amazing talent but I'm not going to roll over and let him do whatever he wants. I'll take any bulletin board material for the team to be incentivized to play hard from minute 1 though.

Totally agree. I heard the interview this morning. He was pretty respectful of Zion and Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
03-23-2019, 03:08 PM
Pretty much mandatory that Zion dunks on Taco Man.

I doubt we see Zion dunk ON him, but I bet we see him dunk around him a few times. No doubt he makes use of his quickness tomorrow night.

ChillinDuke
03-23-2019, 04:52 PM
Will be an interesting matchup.

While I certainly respect Tacko's size, he has real cajones to call out Zion. It's easy to envision the difficulty of cookie-cutter straight-line dunks vs Tacko standing straight up. But in reality how often do those happen? How is Tacko going to deal with a slippery post move or a finish in traffic where our player uses a finishing move? I envision a lot of foul opportunities on that front.

Further, 7'6" 310 is plenty of beef to stop a slippery guard from finishing in the lane. But how is Tacko going to feel when 285 lbs of pure power elevates right into him? Absorbing that and trying to defend that can be just as exhausting as running the floor.

- Chillin

duke96
03-23-2019, 05:05 PM
Duke hasn't played a lot of zone all year. Why would we tomorrow? Are you worried about switches or about Tacko posting up? If the latter, he's got a very low usage rate.

Switches, when he’s in. Seems if we can keep our big guys under the hoop we should be fine handling Tacko

MChambers
03-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Switches, when he’s in. Seems if we can keep our big guys under the hoop we should be fine handling Tacko
As someone pointed out earlier, Tre should be able to avoid switching in screens set by Fall. If he has to switch, another player should rotate on Fall. Duke has handled better pick and roll teams this year.

DukieInBrasil
03-23-2019, 05:28 PM

While I certainly respect Tacko's size, he has real cajones to call out Zion. It's easy to envision the difficulty of cookie-cutter straight-line dunks vs Tacko standing straight up. But in reality how often do those happen? How is Tacko going to deal with a slippery post move or a finish in traffic where our player uses a finishing move? I envision a lot of foul opportunities on that front.

Further, 7'6" 310 is plenty of beef to stop a slippery guard from finishing in the lane. But how is Tacko going to feel when 285 lbs of pure power elevates right into him? Absorbing that and trying to defend that can be just as exhausting as running the floor.

- Chillin

This is a service message for the DBR community (and not solely directed at Chillin) in an effort to up our overall linguistic game. When referring to the nearly ubiquitous Spanish language term for 'stones', a la Tyus Stones, the correct word is cojones. The almost always incorrectly spelled word cajones means "large boxes", which honestly isn't an entirely terrible error.

brevity
03-23-2019, 06:43 PM
Steve Wiseman, News & Observer: Don’t expect Jack White to play for Duke Sunday (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article228338634.html)

“We don’t think he’s going to play,” Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said Saturday. “He had a decent workout today with band work and that. He’ll try it out probably and warm up, but I don’t think so.”

fisheyes
03-23-2019, 07:02 PM
I don't know how I missed this one but did you realize that Vince Taylor was a member of Dawkin's coaching staff? Who knew?!!! Coach K talked a bit about his first great recruiting class and how he inherited Vince Taylor in his pregame presser. Good stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/DukeMBB/videos/275919489968913/

84Duke
03-23-2019, 07:09 PM
I don't know how I missed this one but did you realize that Vince Taylor was a member of Dawkin's coaching staff? Who knew?!!! Coach K talked a bit about his first great recruiting class and how he inherited Vince Taylor in his pregame presser. Good stuff.

Vince the Prince!

KandG
03-23-2019, 07:17 PM
Steve Wiseman, News & Observer: Don’t expect Jack White to play for Duke Sunday (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article228338634.html)

Not surprised by this. Hamstring injuries are dicey and a week recovery from what Jack seemed to suffer seemed optimistic. We can probably get by without him this weekend.

If this had been the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight, I'm assuming Jack might have given it a go, but better to be cautious.

OldPhiKap
03-23-2019, 08:09 PM

K sounds much better, I hope he is on the upswing.

kako
03-23-2019, 10:31 PM
According to SI, Tacko Fall is one of the 60 tallest humans in human history. Just an interesting tidbit.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/03/23/march-madness-tacko-fall-zion-williamson-ncaa-tournament-duke-ucf-second-round

Seems to me making Fall move out of the paint would be a good thing. I don't know if there's enough data to show how Zion does in the midrange game (his 3s are nice but not his forte yet). But if he could hit the midrange shot, then Fall would have to move out to guard him. Then Zion could pass to a cutting Barrett off a screen, avoiding Fall's reach as he's not quick at all. The media wants to make this a Zion v. Fall game, but I don't think that's necessary/realistic. It's a team game. Even if Fall could neutralize Zion (big if), what's UCF going to do about Barrett?

I was JD, I'd tell Fall to block the first 3 Duke shots. It doesn't matter if it's goaltending or not. Try and put the idea that shots will be blocked in Duke's head. John Thompson told Patrick Ewing to do that against Carolina in '82, and it seemed to make a difference.

9F

-jk
03-23-2019, 10:37 PM
According to SI, Tacko Fall is one of the 60 tallest humans in human history. Just an interesting tidbit.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/03/23/march-madness-tacko-fall-zion-williamson-ncaa-tournament-duke-ucf-second-round

Seems to me making Fall move out of the paint would be a good thing. I don't know if there's enough data to show how Zion does in the midrange game (his 3s are nice but not his forte yet). But if he could hit the midrange shot, then Fall would have to move out to guard him. Then Zion could pass to a cutting Barrett off a screen, avoiding Fall's reach as he's not quick at all. The media wants to make this a Zion v. Fall game, but I don't think that's necessary/realistic. It's a team game. Even if Fall could neutralize Zion (big if), what's UCF going to do about Barrett?

I was JD, I'd tell Fall to block the first 3 Duke shots. It doesn't matter if it's goaltending or not. Try and put the idea that shots will be blocked in Duke's head. John Thompson told Patrick Ewing to do that against Carolina in '82, and it seemed to make a difference.

9F

Ewing says “Sigh...”

-jk

duke2x
03-23-2019, 11:08 PM
Even if Fall could neutralize Zion (big if), what's UCF going to do about Barrett?

This was my main impression watching them play Friday night. If Barrett only scores 10 or we let UCF shoot 50% from 3, it could be a rough night.

UCF hasn't played much P5 level competition this year. They went 1-1 v. Alabama and Missouri. They did have the big win @Houston to split.

Pomeroy has us +16.2. I think 15-17 is about right. Coach K isn't going to run up the score if UCF has an awful night.

Rich
03-23-2019, 11:14 PM
Coach K isn't going to run up the score if UCF has an awful night.

That’s the least of our concerns right now.

uh_no
03-23-2019, 11:43 PM
Coach K isn't going to run up the score if UCF has an awful night.

what if they have an awful knight though?

Reilly
03-23-2019, 11:50 PM
JD Mackin H.S. photo: http://www.dcbasketball.com/gallery-photo-mackin-hs.php

DrChainsaw
03-24-2019, 06:51 AM
what if they have an awful knight though?

That was Indiana.

Green Wave Dukie
03-24-2019, 07:19 AM
That was Indiana.

Hoosier talking about?

porkpa
03-24-2019, 07:20 AM
Do you suppose Tacko's quotes will be posted in the Duke locker room?

OldPhiKap
03-24-2019, 07:23 AM

They asked Zion about the quote in yesteeday’s Press conference. His response was (paraphrasing) “what else is he supposed to say? That he’s gonna let me dunk all over him? He said what he should say.”

They tried to goad Zion into some retort a few times, but this was his constant response. He did not seem concerned.

I’m doubting that Zion needs help motivating.

MChambers
03-24-2019, 08:29 AM

9F

Does UCF play man to man or zone? Hard to see Tacko defending the pick and roll.

CDu
03-24-2019, 08:44 AM
Does UCF play man to man or zone? Hard to see Tacko defending the pick and roll.

They do some of both: man and 2-3 zone. I would guess we will see a fair amount of zone today.

Indoor66
03-24-2019, 08:51 AM

9F

When did they measure the rest?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-24-2019, 09:05 AM
When did they measure the rest?

Not to quibble, "they" (meaning SI) didn't measure any of them...including Tacko......but all of them were measured by someone....

camion
03-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Not to quibble, "they" (meaning SI) didn't measure any of them...including Tacko...but all of them were measured by someone...

But is that with or without shoes? And you know how basketball players pad their height measurements. I bet he's really only around 7' 5".

:p

fathippo
03-24-2019, 09:20 AM
They asked Zion about the quote in yesteeday’s Press conference. His response was (paraphrasing) “what else is he supposed to say? That he’s gonna let me dunk all over him? He said what he should say.”

They tried to goad Zion into some retort a few times, but this was his constant response. He did not seem concerned.

This was the correct response. Tacko's quote was taken from an interview with Andy Katz in response to directly being asked about Zion dunking on him. The rest of the interview he was very complementary of Zion and Duke. Tacko is an unbelievably nice kid who is hard not to rout for. Wish they weren't in our bracket.

MChambers
03-24-2019, 09:22 AM
They do some of both: man and 2-3 zone. I would guess we will see a fair amount of zone today.

I should have known you would know.

Indoor66
03-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Not to quibble, "they" (meaning SI) didn't measure any of them...including Tacko...but all of them were measured by someone...

Their claim was in history. That is a lot of measuring done in 1910, 1850, 1727, 1665, 1550, etc. :confused::rolleyes:

Troublemaker
03-24-2019, 09:39 AM

- Chillin

Yeah, I'm not concerned with Tacko. Historically, Duke seldom loses because of an opposing big man.

If UCF pulls off a shocking upset today, it'll be because one or more of their guards go off.

Cam needs to do a great job on Johnny D's son, Aubrey Dawkins, who seems to be UCF's most efficient scorer and a big wing. And I would slap Tre onto UCF's other perimeter threat, 6'2" BJ Taylor. But I could also see Coach K using Tre to try to pressure UCF's main PG Terrell Allen into turnovers, in which case RJ needs to do the good job on Taylor.

I also look forward to the JGold death lineup doing damage on both ends.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2019, 09:41 AM

Zion is amazingly good at staying on message and deflecting questions back to compliments on his teammates. I am sure that is partly the young man's personality, and partly a great coaching job by Duke PR and media relations.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2019, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I'm not concerned with Tacko. Historically, Duke seldom loses because of an opposing big man.

If UCF pulls off a shocking upset today, it'll be because one or more of their guards go off.

Cam needs to do a great job on Johnny D's son, Aubrey Dawkins, who seems to be UCF's most efficient scorer and a big wing. And I would slap Tre onto UCF's other perimeter threat, 6'2" BJ Taylor. But I could also see Coach K using Tre to try to pressure UCF's main PG Terrell Allen into turnovers, in which case RJ needs to do the good job on Taylor.

This is an excellent point. All the media attention is on Zion and Tacko, but when I think back on painful losses of the past, it's squirrelly guards who find ways to get to the rack or the foul line that have given me PTSD.

NSDukeFan
03-24-2019, 10:03 AM
This was the correct response. Tacko's quote was taken from an interview with Andy Katz in response to directly being asked about Zion dunking on him. The rest of the interview he was very complementary of Zion and Duke. Tacko is an unbelievably nice kid who is hard not to rout for. Wish they weren't in our bracket.

I hope we rout them.

dukelifer
03-24-2019, 10:06 AM

Pervis Ellison and Danny Manning say hello :) but I get your point. Still Duke has historically been more outside oriented than this team. It will be interesting to watch this matchup.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2019, 11:15 AM
Zion is amazingly good at staying on message and deflecting questions back to compliments on his teammates. I am sure that is partly the young man's personality, and partly a great coaching job by Duke PR and media relations.

Yup, and K would say that he was raised right by his parents.

brevity
03-24-2019, 11:43 AM

Yes, but they will posted too high in the locker room for anyone to read.

TKG
03-24-2019, 11:46 AM
Ball pressure, force live ball TOs and run. That might negate the slight height advantage UCF has in the post.

Bob Green
03-24-2019, 11:52 AM
I would guess we will see a fair amount of zone today.

If I'm Johnny Dawkins, I'm packing in the zone and daring Duke to beat me with the 3 PT FG.

Troublemaker
03-24-2019, 12:06 PM
Pervis Ellison and Danny Manning say hello :) but I get your point. Still Duke has historically been more outside oriented than this team. It will be interesting to watch this matchup.

Ha, I did say seldom, not never.

Fish80
03-24-2019, 12:10 PM
Their claim was in history. That is a lot of measuring done in 1910, 1850, 1727, 1665, 1550, etc. :confused::rolleyes:

Interesting choice of years. I would look more in recent times myself, since average human height has increased over the years. Average height of those measured. Many have gone unmeasured. So who really knows?

Also, the burrito is a tougher opponent than the taco. Just saying. No disrespect to the taco.

wavedukefan70s
03-24-2019, 12:13 PM
This game has me nervous.id feel better with our glue guy available.bolden looked good friday very mobile with the brace.ive seen us on tv till friday.we looked quick in person and fairly tall.sometimes teams look slower in person we didnt.
Ran into david Robinson I forgot hes 7 feet.very nice guy.

Fish80
03-24-2019, 12:13 PM
If I'm Johnny Dawkins, I'm packing in the zone and daring Duke to beat me with the 3 PT FG.
If I’m Johnny Dawkins, my mirror is broken and I am woefully unprepared for this game. :D

Rich
03-24-2019, 12:21 PM
This game has me nervous.id feel better with our glue guy available.bolden looked good friday very mobile with the brace.ive seen us on tv till friday.we looked quick in person and fairly tall.sometimes teams look slower in person we didnt.
Ran into david Robinson I forgot hes 7 feet.very nice guy.

I hope you don't engage in conversation the way you post! :rolleyes:

wavedukefan70s
03-24-2019, 12:30 PM

New laptop is almost here.
This phone does not post everything
Correctly .I'll try to redo that.
This post is actually four sentences with space on my screen.

https://i.ibb.co/PCC2Jz0/Screenshot-20190324-122855-Chrome.jpg (https://ibb.co/PCC2Jz0)

It's insane.

budwom
03-24-2019, 12:31 PM

reminiscent of a 1930s telegram stop

Indoor66
03-24-2019, 01:00 PM

Have to talk fast!😂

-jk
03-24-2019, 01:01 PM
New laptop is almost here.
This phone does not post everything
Correctly .I'll try to redo that.
This post is actually four sentences with space on my screen.

https://i.ibb.co/PCC2Jz0/Screenshot-20190324-122855-Chrome.jpg (https://ibb.co/PCC2Jz0)

It's insane.

Odd... What phone is it? We have so little trouble with mobile users generally - and more than 50% of our users are mobile!

-jk

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Yup, and K would say that he was raised right by his parents.

That's also good PR from K. :)

wavedukefan70s
03-24-2019, 01:14 PM
Odd... What phone is it? We have so little trouble with mobile users generally - and more than 50% of our users are mobile!

-jk

LG G2x
It's got a few bugs .but it works.
I may need to just get a new one.
I may try apple .I have down loaded a different keyboard.

BigZ
03-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Little know fact: UCF is the biggest university in USA

AZLA
03-24-2019, 01:21 PM

Biggest and Tallest student body participant too

jimsumner
03-24-2019, 01:33 PM

And Nick Collison. And Emeka Oakafor. And Derrick Brown. And Jared Jeffries. And Paul Davis. And Derrick Williams.

gocanes0506
03-24-2019, 01:35 PM

I believe it is inflated due to their large internet student body.

CoachJ10
03-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Are both having Taco for dinner tonight.

-jk
03-24-2019, 01:41 PM
LG G2x
It's got a few bugs .but it works.
I may need to just get a new one.
I may try apple .I have down loaded a different keyboard.

Can you get and try a different browser?

-jk

dukelifer
03-24-2019, 01:41 PM
I believe it is inflated due to their large internet student body.

And their large body on the middle

BandAlum83
03-24-2019, 01:43 PM

-jk

My biggest problems with mobile posting is fat fingers, auto correct and no desire/patience for proofreading on a screen that shows only a portion of my post at a time.

BandAlum83
03-24-2019, 01:46 PM

By what measure? Acerage? Undergraduate enrollment? Total enrollment? Including online degrees?

wavedukefan70s
03-24-2019, 01:53 PM
Can you get and try a different browser?

-jk

I will try that .I'm about leave for Columbia. I will look at that when I get back.

bbosbbos
03-24-2019, 01:58 PM
This is the 1st time I know UCF is the biggest university in US. More than 60K students. wow

ns7
03-24-2019, 01:59 PM
I will try that .I'm about leave for Columbia. I will look at that when I get back.

Try chrome if it works on your phone. I'm guessing you're on kit kat so hopefully it works.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome&hl=en_US&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorgani c%26utm_term%3Dgoogle+play+chrome&pcampaignid=APPU_1_BMWXXKK7KPLH_QbekZCgBw

jimsumner
03-24-2019, 02:37 PM
By what measure? Acerage? Undergraduate enrollment? Total enrollment? Including online degrees?

Biomass. They have a lot of fat students.

I can't believe The Ohio State University is taking this lying down.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2019, 02:39 PM

I think they are parked on the divan.

Acymetric
03-24-2019, 02:49 PM

Jim not mincing words on this one!

sagegrouse
03-24-2019, 02:49 PM

I thought Arizona State was the largest US university.

devildeac
03-24-2019, 02:51 PM

But there's a lot more BS at "u"nc.

jimsumner
03-24-2019, 02:51 PM

If you count beer cans.

Wasn't NYU in the mix at one time?

According to Wiki, it's CFU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_public_university_campuses_b y_enrollment

Acymetric
03-24-2019, 02:54 PM
Since the unc game is virtually certain to bleed over into the Duke game, will we be able to get the start if the Duke game on the streaming service?

BandAlum83
03-24-2019, 02:54 PM
If you count beer cans.

Wasn't NYU in the mix at one time?

According to Wiki, it's CFU.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=largest+u.s.+university&form=EDGEAR&qs=PF&cvid=154334c98a754d1986219daf7a82759b&cc=US&setlang=en-US&elv=AQj93OAhDTi*HzTv1paQdnif800ikmszvymsnvKx1H3Rd2 oAZ4g0fn7*vJJehIfRPc913hkkvJa7REQ6OfhTQkJlImrB9Cu% 216TtfUMmwUc8P&plvar=0&PC=DCTE

That’s a bald link and doesn’t answer the question I posed “By what measure”. I really don’t care to click through and search and waste time to find it on my mobile.

Sorry, Jim, you should know better.

weezie
03-24-2019, 03:01 PM
If you count beer cans...

BadaBump, cymbal crash.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Since the unc game is virtually certain to bleed over into the Duke game, will we be able to get the start if the Duke game on the streaming service?

I suspect they delay the game as it is on CBS.

BigZ
03-24-2019, 03:02 PM

Undergraduate

Acymetric
03-24-2019, 03:05 PM

I kinda doubt that (because of the cascading effect it has on the rest of the schedule and the fact that there are people physically present at the game).

Acymetric
03-24-2019, 03:18 PM

I kinda doubt that (because of the cascading effect it has on the rest of the schedule and the fact that there are people physically present at the game).

I stand corrected, Duke game pushed back 10 minutes already.

uh_no
03-24-2019, 03:19 PM
if anyone knows any duke bars in madrid, please let me konw :)

OldPhiKap
03-24-2019, 03:28 PM

If there’s soccer on the tv, just ask them to change it. They won’t mind.

Pghdukie
03-24-2019, 03:34 PM

Santa Ana's but only if Chico is the bartender.

hsheffield
03-24-2019, 03:35 PM
anyone see Charles Barkley and Clark Kellogg demonstrate how Zion could handle Tacko under the rim?

first Charles (back to the basket) plants his behind on Clark to "take his legs away from him"

but then he says you should always face the basket and attack?

oh well, it was borderline entertaining (CBS at the half of the Tenn/Iowa game for those that might have recorded)

dukelion
03-24-2019, 04:01 PM

That half ripped by.....Duke start shouldn't be delayed significantly unless OT happens.

WiJoe
03-24-2019, 04:15 PM

I'm glad you're not. We'd miss you. Then, I guess we'd never known you.

Rich
03-24-2019, 04:27 PM
anyone see Charles Barkley and Clark Kellogg demonstrate how Zion could handle Tacko under the rim?

first Charles (back to the basket) plants his behind on Clark to "take his legs away from him"

but then he says you should always face the basket and attack?

oh well, it was borderline entertaining (CBS at the half of the Tenn/Iowa game for those that might have recorded)

Zion doesn't usually posterize people. His biggest assets are his mobility and quickness so I look for him to try to go around Fall and use his agility to lay the ball in and draw fouls, not to go directly at him. When Zion dunks it's usually on breakaways or when there's no big man under the basket. I would consider an effective attack to get Zion the ball around 10-12 feet from the basket and try to isolate him on Fall where he has room to maneuver around and not go directly at him.

jimsumner
03-24-2019, 04:28 PM
That’s a bald link and doesn’t answer the question I posed “By what measure”. I really don’t care to click through and search and waste time to find it on my mobile.

Sorry, Jim, you should know better.

The link I provided

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_public_university_campuses_b y_enrollment

seems to give the information in question.

Enrollment by undergraduate and graduate.

And since I have no idea what a "bald link" is, I'm guessing I didn't know better.

JohnJ
03-24-2019, 04:35 PM
...and it even says “by enrollment” in the link without having to click on it.

dukelifer
03-24-2019, 04:39 PM

Be honest - if you were Johnny D - wouldn’t you let Duke win? ;)

-jk
03-24-2019, 04:39 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=ccarc)

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

MChambers
03-24-2019, 04:45 PM
The link I provided

seems to give the information in question.

Enrollment by undergraduate and graduate.

And since I have no idea what a "bald link" is, I'm guessing I didn't know better.

I learned about bald links recently, when I apparently posted one here. It’s a post that contains a link without providing much of a description of the content at the linked site. I thought your post was fine, but I thought my post was fine too, but a moderator disagreed.

-jk
03-24-2019, 04:50 PM
I learned about bald links recently, when I apparently posted one here. It’s a post that contains a link without providing much of a description of the content at the linked site. I thought your post was fine, but I thought my post was fine too, but a moderator disagreed.

There are links that have context in the link itself (such as Jim's enrollment link). There are links that give no hints (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0).

We much prefer the former or a brief description if the latter. Well, just because...

-jk

uh_no
03-24-2019, 04:54 PM
If there’s soccer on the tv, just ask them to change it. They won’t mind.

i mean, it is...since euro qualifying is going on....but at least spain paid last night.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 04:56 PM
Zion's shoes tonight are pretty sick.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1109915611826700291?s=19

OldPhiKap
03-24-2019, 05:13 PM
i mean, it is...since euro qualifying is going on...but at least spain paid last night.

Another tip — when you ask to change the channel, make sure to do it in English using a firm authoritative tone. Show ‘em who’s boss.

dukelion
03-24-2019, 05:35 PM
Seems we never start fast these days....always playing a bit of catch up.

Steven43
03-24-2019, 05:35 PM
How did the refs not call a foul on Fall against Zion? Zion was in the act of shooting and Fall hit his arms. That’s an automatic and easy foul call.

Steven43
03-24-2019, 05:37 PM
Bolden’s hook shot percentage continues to fall.

Steven43
03-24-2019, 05:38 PM
RJ with the three on an assist from Zion.

slower
03-24-2019, 05:39 PM
And....there goes my Time-Warner feed.

CDu
03-24-2019, 05:39 PM
And...there goes my Time-Warner feed.

Directv out too

slower
03-24-2019, 05:40 PM
Seems we never start fast these days...always playing a bit of catch up.

The odds of this being fatal increase every game.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 05:40 PM
Duke's going to have to find a way to speed this game up.

BlueDevil16
03-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Not liking the way things started. Stupid foul from Zion early too. Reminded me of Wendell Carters stupid fouls this time last year vs Kansas.

arnie
03-24-2019, 05:43 PM
Bolden’s hook shot percentage continues to fall.

Yep, seems like he could go stronger to the rim on some of these.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Surprised Goldwire only got a minute. Thought they'd keep him on Dawkins. Guess he's just too much of a non factor offensively.

uh_no
03-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Another tip — when you ask to change the channel, make sure to do it in English using a firm authoritative tone. Show ‘em who’s boss.

i pointed to my duke ring and said "don't make me call da boss"

outcome: watching the game on my laptop.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Nice D by Javin thus far

hallcity
03-24-2019, 05:57 PM
And...there goes my Time-Warner feed.

You had one job, CBS

slower
03-24-2019, 05:57 PM
Directv out too
Somebody at CBS is going ballistic about this, I'm sure. Not good - at all.

rsvman
03-24-2019, 06:01 PM
Dawkins looking really good, unfortunately.

TruBlu
03-24-2019, 06:01 PM
Comcast hasn’t had any dropouts.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 06:02 PM
Dawkins looking really good, unfortunately.

Yeah, hopefully halftime cools him off cause he looks like he's going for 20 in the first half.

-jk
03-24-2019, 06:03 PM
Comcast hasn’t had any dropouts.

Fine here in MoCo, Maryland.

-jk

hallcity
03-24-2019, 06:04 PM
I guess they’ll do something now. The ads are dropping out.

Ballboy1998
College basketball needs to take some of that huge stack of money they aren't giving athletes and pay to train and retain competent officials.

cbarry
Lots of glitches/ screen freezes on Spectrum/TWC. UGH

Our guys are not in sync either. Will get a good chewing out at the half.

CDu
03-24-2019, 06:05 PM
Potentially big bad break for us. Reddish gets a clean block on a 3 but gets called for the foul (his second). Now Dawkins gets to give them the lead and Reddish gets to sit in what has been his best offensive game in a while.

ChrisP
03-24-2019, 06:05 PM
College basketball needs to take some of that huge stack of money they aren't giving athletes and pay to train and retain competent officials.

Word! That was a totally clean block Cam just had! Ridiculous!

4Gen
03-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Stampede warning.

downeastdad
03-24-2019, 06:11 PM
Just felt like Zion's three point play was the beginning of the end for UCF.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 06:13 PM
Goldwire the x factor. 12-2 run since he went in?

OldPhiKap
03-24-2019, 06:14 PM
Goldwire the x factor. 12-2 run since he went in?

Agreed.

robed deity
Goldwire changes games. Really something.

dukelion
Goldwire and Jones are a menace on D.....love it.

Just need a floor slap.

subzero02
03-24-2019, 06:15 PM
Goldwire, Zion, Tre, and Cam... We need to maintain our defensive intensity. We definitely miss Jack White. I think he would've been great in this game.

J4Kop99
03-24-2019, 06:15 PM
That is how you close out a half! Great work from goldwire to completely change the feel

scottdude8
03-24-2019, 06:16 PM
JG making me look smart :)

But in all seriousness, his defense is giving this team energy once again. Foul trouble on Tacko was big, and I guarantee part of the the halftime gameplan will be how to get his third quickly. Love how Cam is playing too.

As a Michigan fan watching how well Aubrey is playing is bittersweet. Can you imagine if he was a senior on last year’s runner up team?

cbarry
03-24-2019, 06:17 PM
End of half- UCF had a shot clock violation. I replayed it, and the ball is in the shooter’s hand with the shot clock above the basket reading 0, and the game clock at 4.9

we should have gotten the ball at 4.9

kako
03-24-2019, 06:17 PM
1. The press with JGold is working great but expect UCF to try to counter.

2. A Dawkins has a bone to pick, and he's eating well. Why didn't Duke recruit him?

3. Reddish is having the game we thought he should always have. Hope he plays through the fouls.

4. Can Duke keep the 3's up?

5. Would like to see some bench scoring. Goose egg so far.

Also props to DeLaurier to that block on Fall.

9F

InSpades
03-24-2019, 06:18 PM
Duke has 44 points... all from the 4 freshmen starters (not that I'm complaining!).

Goldwire definitely add something on D.

Fall is a handful down low.

Zion had an okay half and you look up and he has 15.

Offense is great... 55%, 45%, 4 turnovers. Need to figure out how to stop Dawkins and Fall and we win this one going away. Fail to find that... might be a close one.

Edit: Cam is playing really well. Tough call on the 3.

MChambers
03-24-2019, 06:20 PM
1. The press with JGold is working great but expect UCF to try to counter.

2. A Dawkins has a bone to pick, and he's eating well. Why didn't Duke recruit him?

3. Reddish is having the game we thought he should always have. Hope he plays through the fouls.

4. Can Duke keep the 3's up?

5. Would like to see some bench scoring. Goose egg so far.

Also props to DeLaurier to that block on Fall.

9F

K said yesterday that they would have recruited Aubrey, but assumed he would go to Stanford to play for his dad.

hallcity
03-24-2019, 06:21 PM
End of half- UCF had a shot clock violation. I replayed it, and the ball is in the shooter’s hand with the shot clock above the basket reading 0, and the game clock at 4.9

Should have called a TO. We had one.

wavedukefan70s
03-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Word! That was a totally clean block Cam just had! Ridiculous!

Absolutely. Bad call.yet 35 for UCF is throwing elbows no call.

ns7
03-24-2019, 06:26 PM

I thought so to watching live. That plus the foul on the 3...

It's okay, an 8 point lead at half is very solid after surviving a blistering half from Dawkins.

uh_no
03-24-2019, 06:27 PM
Fine here in MoCo, Maryland.

-jk

perfect here in madrid....on...uhm....<somedomain>.xyz so you know it's legit.

ncexnyc
03-24-2019, 06:27 PM
Hopefully we won't have anymore technical difficulties in the second half. My Spectrum feed cut out several times and it was only CBS, as ABC the channel right above it was just fine.

The team needs to keep the defensive pressure up in the 2nd half as I wouldn't expect our shooting from 3pt land to continue like it has.

uh_no
03-24-2019, 06:28 PM

thought the same thing. we got screwed out of a chance there.

oh well. roll with it and kill.

hallcity
03-24-2019, 06:28 PM
BTW, these AT&T stupid color announcer ads are lame. They’re becoming really annoying.

dukelifer
03-24-2019, 06:29 PM
Hopefully we won't have anymore technical difficulties in the second half. My Spectrum feed cut out several times and it was only CBS, as ABC the channel right above it was just fine.

The team needs to keep the defensive pressure up in the 2nd half as I wouldn't expect our shooting from 3pt land to continue like it has.

Same thing happened with ATT

BandAlum83
03-24-2019, 06:30 PM
There are links that have context in the link itself (such as Jim's enrollment link). There are links that give no hints (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0).

We much prefer the former or a brief description if the latter. Well, just because...

-jk

On my iPhone, the enrollment part of the link didn’t show. Ergo, for me, it was bald. Even so, is that total enrollment including online programs?

ice-9
03-24-2019, 06:31 PM
Great run to close the first half but I’m still concerned about the game. We are up 8 but also shot 46% from 3, which is uncharacteristic for this team and may not continue in the second half. To some extent we are taking what’s given - ie the outside shot, so maybe it is how it should be. But I would feel better if we can attack inside like we usually do and defend their perimeter better.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 06:32 PM
Great run to close the first half but I’m still concerned about the game. We are up 8 but also shot 46% from 3, which is uncharacteristic for this team and may not continue in the second half. To some extent we are taking what’s given - ie the outside shot, so maybe it is how it should be. But I would feel better if we can attack inside like we usually do.

Yeah and Tacko has 3 fouls to play with the 2nd half. Layups won't be as easy. Hoping Dawkins cools off as Duke does.

proelitedota
03-24-2019, 06:32 PM
Yeah and Tacko has 3 fouls to play with the 2nd half. Layups won't be as easy. Hoping Dawkins cools off as Duke does.

Not going to cool off unless we make him cool off.

dukelifer
03-24-2019, 06:33 PM
Great run to close the first half but I’m still concerned about the game. We are up 8 but also shot 46% from 3, which is uncharacteristic for this team and may not continue in the second half. To some extent we are taking what’s given - ie the outside shot, so maybe it is how it should be. But I would feel better if we can attack inside like we usually do and defend their perimeter better.

Need to keep the defensive pressure on.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-24-2019, 06:34 PM
K said yesterday that they would have recruited Aubrey, but assumed he would go to Stanford to play for his dad.

And if my math is correct he would have been in the class with Jahlil, Winslow, Tyus and Grayson - not sure if there was a spot for him unless we passed on one of them.

Steven43
03-24-2019, 06:35 PM

I’d much rather that money go to training great officials than to student/athletes.

fgb
03-24-2019, 06:36 PM
9F

because if you play for dinner, you need to have a bone to pick every night. it can't be personal.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 06:37 PM
And if my math is correct he would have been in the class with Jahlil, Winslow, Tyus and Grayson - not sure if there was a spot for him unless we passed on one of them.

Would he have played right away? Or gone more of the Grayson route?

Steven43
03-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Cam with another one of his thoughtless drives. Like he’s never done it before.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 06:38 PM
Ugly start. Ugly, ugly.

Steven43
03-24-2019, 06:39 PM

Yep. You’re spot-on.

rocketeli
03-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Cam with another one of his thoughtless drives. Like he’s never done it before.

It was a good drive, but a bogus foul call when the defender undercut him.

meanwhile the magic of Tacko Foul is that he apparently, according to these refs never fouls. He is constantly bringing his arms down and clocking people and going over the back with no calls

kaufmjo
03-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Ugly start. Ugly, ugly.

Put Goldwater on Dawkins the entire game

cbarry
03-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Settle down guys! Go back to zone press with Jordan.

Steven43
03-24-2019, 06:42 PM
RJ going right at Fall. Very nice.

slower
03-24-2019, 06:42 PM
Zion's handle is terrible today.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-24-2019, 06:43 PM
Zion's handle is terrible today.

Zion is unbelievable but his handles are pretty terrible lol.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Man we gotta find a way to slow down Aubrey Dawkins

Steven43
03-24-2019, 06:44 PM
It was a good drive, but a bogus foul call when the defender undercut him.

meanwhile the magic of Tacko Foul is that he apparently, according to these refs never fouls. He is constantly bringing his arms down and clocking people and going over the back with no calls

Agree with your take on Fall. He gets away with a lot,

slower
03-24-2019, 06:45 PM
Javin foul-out coming soon.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 06:45 PM
RJ going right at Fall. Very nice.

I actually think it's easier to shoot a floater over Tacko than Zion. Tacko is getting up to 10 feet max. Zion is getting up to 12 feet and is quick to get there.

RollDevils
03-24-2019, 06:48 PM
That was a bail-out call. Thought Smith was OOC and Bolden held his ground. Ref that called it looked to be behind Bolden.

cbarry
Defense- bring in Vranc to play Hack-a-Tacko. Guy can’t shoot FT

kaufmjo
Can’t shake these guys. Nothing easy when every team brings their A game against us

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 06:49 PM
That was a bail-out call. Thought Smith was OOC and Bolden held his ground. Ref that called it looked to be behind Bolden.

He brought his hands down which is an automatic call. Or it's supposed to be...

Interesting, Tacko on Jones now. Makes sense.

ns7
03-24-2019, 06:49 PM

I think they called the swipe, not the block.

downeastdad
03-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Why did Javin let Fall have that dunk? Foul him!!!!

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Absolutely ridiculous.

slower
03-24-2019, 06:55 PM
DeLaurier, predictably, with the stupid, stupid foul.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 06:56 PM

Too early to pick up his 4th foul. But then he picks up that cheap one anyways.

downeastdad
03-24-2019, 06:56 PM
Great officiating!

CDu
03-24-2019, 06:57 PM

Didn’t want to get his fourth foul.

ns7
They need to start calling fouls on Fall when he brings his hands down.

kaufmjo
This is an infuriating game to watch

ncexnyc
03-24-2019, 06:58 PM
Horrific coaching. Cam gets his 3rd early in the half and he's left in to pick-up his 4th. Javin gets his 4th and for some strange reason he's left on the floor.

cbarry
03-24-2019, 06:58 PM
Barrett needs to step up. Start by making free throws.
He has not been solid on FT all year, but I think he will come through right now.

Then, we have to clamp down on D.

Use every available player to hack Tacko on EVERY PLAY. Put them in the bonus and make Tacko shoot free throws!!!

ChrisP
03-24-2019, 06:59 PM
I got a really bad feeling. Really , REALLY hope I am wrong, but we do not look like a FF team (to me, anyway)

CDu
They need to start calling fouls on Fall when he brings his hands down.

Yep. Two fouls on Zion that weren’t called. Add in the bad call on Reddish’s block of a 3.

downeastdad
Didn’t want to get his fourth foul.

Yeah, but we've still got Bolden's three and Vrank's five to give. Either of them are as good on offense as Javin (he says as Javin scores)

fgb
Barrett needs to step up. Start by making free throws.
He has not been solid on FT all year, but I think he will come through right now.

Then, we have to clamp down on D.

Use every available player to hack Tacko on EVERY PLAY. Put them in the bonus and make Tacko shoot free throws!!!

this

jipops
03-24-2019, 07:00 PM
Goldwire needs to stay in the rest of the game. Only shot we got on D.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 07:02 PM
Why is Jones still shooting 3s?

uh_no
03-24-2019, 07:04 PM

yeah....not happy with his decision making.

fgb

he's trying to solidify his spot in the 2nd round of the draft

ns7

I don't know. They are wide open but he should probably stop.

kaufmjo
03-24-2019, 07:05 PM
Nothing worse than CBS tournament commercial-Rama and listening to a bunch of Barkley commercials

devildeac
03-24-2019, 07:05 PM
Too early to pick up his 4th foul. But then he picks up that cheap one anyways.

Yet Z gets mugged on both arms and no call on Tacko

slower
03-24-2019, 07:06 PM
This is an infuriating game to watch
One of many, recently.

ncexnyc
Wish AOC would get a chance, but at this stage of the game it wouldn't be fair for him.

g-money

Because he can make ‘em. Coach K needs to tell him to keep shooting. My $0.02

CDu
yeah...not happy with his decision making.

It hasn’t been a good offensive day for Jones and it hasn’t been a good defensive day for Barrett.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 07:07 PM
Because he can make ‘em. Coach K needs to tell him to keep shooting. My $0.02

Well, there one is. I feel like he can drive around this guy though. Drive at him and finish. Not against tacko though.

rsvman
03-24-2019, 07:09 PM
What is going on with the officiating?

kaufmjo
03-24-2019, 07:09 PM
Wish AOC would get a chance, but at this stage of the game it wouldn't be fair for him.please do not put him in!

Steven43
03-24-2019, 07:10 PM
How many great defensive plays by a Duke player are the refs going to get wrong? It’s incredible how many they’ve blown.

slower
If Zion does get a chance to dunk this game, I think he's going to bring the basket down. You can tell he's VERY frustrated..

AGDukesky
Refs keeping UCF in it now😡

kaufmjo
03-24-2019, 07:11 PM
I honestly can’t tell what is happening g there are so many commercials and no replays. And shoddy commentary of airy zingers by Raftery

fgb
03-24-2019, 07:12 PM
What is going on with the officiating?

they're upset that Zion didn't give ucf any bulletin board material?

jipops
03-24-2019, 07:16 PM
They got us in a halfcourt game and we’re a very bad halfcourt team.

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Hmm not looking good. They can't miss and Duke can't get anything.

And we know Duke is going to have to make free throws going down the stretch...

kaufmjo
03-24-2019, 07:17 PM
Oh boy. This is bad

rsvman
03-24-2019, 07:17 PM
They keep making long threes.

slower
03-24-2019, 07:18 PM
Mods are no doubt preparing to lock the board.

sbroc012
about to get Bootsied

RollDevils
Did anyone else see Coach K begging for a timeout after our last made basket? Ref never even looked at him. I would put Vrank in and hack a Taco.

BlueDevil16
Doesn’t look good. Especially with UcF in the double bonus.

Sixthman
Win or lose, we have been thoroughly outcoached

djp10
03-24-2019, 07:19 PM
you know it's bad when there are so many posts about the refs

ChicagoCrazy84
This isn’t good. Everyone was in love with Duke going in but the old 3 is the great equalizer and Coach K has sacrificed extra scoring for defense and in this game it’s backfiring. We have no answer for Dawkins.

4Gen
Sometimes shooting matters. They can. We can't

ChrisP
This is what happens when you let an underdog hang around.

dukelion
This where we you wish you had a senior leader or two......hope they don't panic down the stretch.....but they look like they're wilting under the pressure out there.

And I don't get the zone with Goldwire.......AOC would be just as effective and add shooting.

killerleft
Hmm not looking good. They can't miss and Duke can't get anything.

And we know Duke is going to have to make free throws going down the stretch...

Could be UCF will be the one needing to hit FTs.

subzero02
Mods are no doubt preparing to lock the board.

I don't know which Dawkins is performing better...Aubrey or Johnny..

WHOneedsSOX
03-24-2019, 07:21 PM
Could be UCF will be the one needing to hit FTs.

Well their 2 guards can.

djp10
03-24-2019, 07:21 PM
why is barrett on dawkins?

subzero02
03-24-2019, 07:22 PM
I know that I never want to go back to south carolina for an NCAA game.