PDA

View Full Version : Manning to return

peteandpete
03-22-2019, 09:07 AM
According to an email I got this morning from Wellman, (on their list b/c I got tix for a Duke FB game there a few yeas ago) Danny will return for next season. There is a press conference scheduled for later today. They have met after the season ended and although not satisfied with the won-loss numbers, believe the pieces are in place for improvement. I suspect the buyout cost is certainly a factor, too. Would be interesting to know what specific goals/standards are in place to allow Manning to continue (assuming he would want to) beyond next season.

budwom
03-22-2019, 09:14 AM
To say that the Wake board is responding to this negatively would be a grotesque understatement....no number of tie dye shirts can fix that hideous mess.

brevity
03-22-2019, 09:28 AM
"Manning to return"? I thought this was going to be about football.

Anyway, here's the official statement from Wake Forest (https://godeacs.com/news/2019/3/22/mens-basketball-wake-forest-head-coach-danny-manning-to-return-for-2019-20-season.aspx).

Each of Wake Forest's top seven scorers in 2018-19, and nine of the top 10 scorers, have eligibility remaining for next season, as those players combined for 92 percent of the Demon Deacons' minutes last season.

Coach Manning will have to enjoy standing on the sidelines, because his seat is going to be hot all year. Note that the careful wording of the quote above allows for the possibility of some early departures.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-22-2019, 09:38 AM
I thought Wake, while clearly not a great team this year, showed signs of life. I suspect next year turns a corner, if there aren't more mass defections.

Tripping William
03-22-2019, 09:43 AM
To say that the Wake board is responding to this negatively would be a grotesque understatement...no number of tie dye shirts can fix that hideous mess.

I haven't seen any booster-purchased billboards around town calling for Manning's ouster. So it can't be all *that* bad . . . . :rolleyes:

wsb3
03-22-2019, 09:45 AM
My Wake friend is not going to be happy. The longer this stretched out I thought the more likely that he was retained. There is the big buyout in his contract and I suspect that had much to do with this decision.

flyingdutchdevil
03-22-2019, 09:52 AM
I thought Wake, while clearly not a great team this year, showed signs of life. I suspect next year turns a corner, if there aren't more mass defections.

Only when they play Duke ;)

CrazyNotCrazie
03-22-2019, 10:35 AM
"Manning to return"? I thought this was going to be about football.

Anyway, here's the official statement from Wake Forest (https://godeacs.com/news/2019/3/22/mens-basketball-wake-forest-head-coach-danny-manning-to-return-for-2019-20-season.aspx).

Coach Manning will have to enjoy standing on the sidelines, because his seat is going to be hot all year. Note that the careful wording of the quote above allows for the possibility of some early departures.

I would assume the administration might have casually approached some of those with remaining eligibility to see if they are on board with Manning staying. Obviously you don't want the players making these decisions but if several top potential returnees said they didn't like Manning and would be leaving if he was retained, that might have swung the decision against him.

aimo
03-22-2019, 11:07 AM
I have a friend from pre-K through college (Wake). Here are a few quotes from his facebook posting:

This is just sad. Our players, university, and fans deserve better.
I. Can’t. Believe. This.
I don’t understand this.
Stunning and sad. And we thought the Bob Stack era was bad...

So . . . no, not a popular decision so far.

ncexnyc
03-22-2019, 11:10 AM
That's some interesting news. I believe it was David Glenn who speculated last week that Wake would use the tourney as the back drop for Manning's firing, like they did the last time around when they axed their previous coach.

budwom
03-22-2019, 11:31 AM
That's some interesting news. I believe it was David Glenn who speculated last week that Wake would use the tourney as the back drop for Manning's firing, like they did the last time around when they axed their previous coach.

well, it was an end of week announcement (friday?) but I think it boils down to Wake not wanting to spend the money to pay him off.

wsb3
03-22-2019, 11:34 AM
This tweet struck my funny bone..:D

@DrewGoodman89
3h3 hours ago
More Drew Goodman Retweeted Les Johns
Thoughts and prayers to those that moderate Wake Forest message boards

devildeac
03-22-2019, 11:39 AM
Heard/played in the Manning house today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa9n7GirhsI

Acymetric
03-22-2019, 11:42 AM
I actually don't think giving him one more year is such a bad idea.

I also have to ask (sorry Wake fans)...who exactly do they think they're going to bring in that would be an upgrade?

OZZIE4DUKE
03-22-2019, 11:54 AM
My first thought was this thread was going to be about Eli and he's not retiring, so he'll be there to mentor Daniel Jones for a year... http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif LGD GTHc! 9F! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Tripping William
03-22-2019, 12:22 PM
For your reading enjoyment, here's the email that just came out, with Q&A with both Wellman and Manning:

Questions and Answers with Ron Wellman, Director of Athletics

Q: Was the buyout a part of the decision?
A: Danny’s continuation is based on our belief in him and his staff and the future of our program. Otherwise, we do not discuss contract details publicly.

Q: What progress did you see that led you to the decision to keep Coach Manning?
A: While we did not win as many of the games as we would have liked down the stretch, there were encouraging signs for a young team. The positive chemistry was evident, they displayed grit and determination and they continued to work hard in games and the practices I attended as well.

Q: Why do you believe Danny is the right person to lead this program?
A: I am encouraged by the future of the program and the commitment of our young players. But we’ve got to stop the attrition. The way for us to become a championship team is to become a veteran team. While there are a lot of transfers in today’s college basketball, we have to find a way to have a stable program despite the national environment. That is the formula for success for every one of our programs, that we experience our greatest success when we have a veteran team. Our best teams are dominated by upperclassmen.

Q: Why should the public believe that Danny is the right person to lead this program?
A: We have been 11-20 each of the last two years and those are not the results we expect. It has taken longer than we wanted, but we feel a good foundation has been set. Next year will be a turnaround year for us and I felt Danny was the best person to achieve that immediate improvement.

The players in the program have been very impressive off the court. In the classroom, they achieved over a 3.0 grade point average in the fall, the highest GPA ever for our men’s basketball program. They are good representatives of Wake Forest in the community. They commit a lot of time to charitable efforts such as the Special Olympics and Brenner Children’s Hospital.

Q: Do you feel you’ve lost your fan base?
A: Winning is important to our fans and we have fallen short. We have a loyal group of fans and I am confident when we start winning again they will be with us. The level of frustration we have seen from the fans is an indication of their passion for the program. They care deeply about the basketball program.

Q: Was John Currie a part of this decision?
A: As I said following the announcement of my retirement, this would be and was my decision.

Questions and Answers with Danny Manning, Head Men’s Basketball Coach

Q: How do you feel about your return next year?
A: I am excited for next season. We will have most of this year’s squad back. Nine of our top 10 scorers are back. We have 91% of our rebounds back and 92% of our minutes returning. We saw a lot of development from that group last season and can’t wait to see the progress they will make this summer. We like our incoming class and our transfers who are becoming eligible. I think the potential for this group is high and I can’t wait to get to work with them.

Q: Do you anticipate any players departing the program this offseason?
A: One of the best qualities about this group of players is how close they are. They love playing together and spending time together off the court. They know that they showed glimpses of their potential last year and are excited to put in the hard work to show what they can accomplish next season. As we have had talks with our players over the last week, each one has shown enthusiasm about what we can accomplish together next year. It truly is a team that is united, and I would be surprised if any of them decided to look elsewhere.

Q: What about Jaylen Hoard? Will he test the waters?
A: We have had discussions with Jaylen about going through the process and he has filed the paperwork to go through the evaluation process. For any player who has aspirations of playing in the NBA, the process is a valuable tool. I am glad we have players that are able to test the waters. If we didn’t have players at that level, we would be in trouble. NBA teams will give you blunt feedback about your strengths and weaknesses and what you need to do to be ready to play at the next level. Then it is up to you to take that advice and follow it. There were over 100 collegiate players this season who went through the process last spring and came back to school. They were better players this season because of going through that process. We support Jaylen taking this step and know he will receive great advice.

Q: What changes will you make to help the program move forward and improve?
A: I know sometimes people dismiss my calmness as a lack of passion or lack of interest in making changes. I have been around the game of basketball since childhood and I do not think lashing out emotionally solves many problems. An important part of being a leader is having the trust of your team. I tend to go overboard on keeping things internal rather than sharing things publicly, but there is no question that we need to improve. I think that will fuel our offseason. Sometimes having a chip on your shoulder and the hunger to get better can accelerate change. And we all have that passion burning in us after last season. As far as personnel changes or style changes, we will work through those when we see this whole group together on the court this summer and see how the pieces fit.

Q: Have you spoken with John Currie at all about the program?
A: We have spoken a few times briefly. I am eager to begin to collaborate with him on plans for the future of our program. Once things slow down and he takes over, I am sure we will be talking regularly.

Q: Do you have concerns with John Currie becoming the AD on May 1?
A: Any time there’s new leadership, you need to prove you’re worthy of doing the job. That is the case in college athletics, but also in any job. We are both passionate about Wake Forest Basketball and want to see the program enjoy success. Our interests are aligned.

budwom
03-22-2019, 12:43 PM
^ that seems kind of unusual, a "let's mollify the angry fans" piece of work...generally when a guy is retained he's simply retained, no need to 'splain it, even if the fans happen to be brandishing torches and pitchforks.

ChillinDuke
03-22-2019, 01:50 PM
I'm very, very surprised by this. I thought he was for sure gone.

While I was very high on the Manning hire at first, I am pretty bearish on him at this point. I imagine he basically has to make the Tournament next year in order to stick around.

- Chillin

Steven43
03-22-2019, 01:53 PM
According to an email I got this morning from Wellman, (on their list b/c I got tix for a Duke FB game there a few yeas ago) Danny will return for next season. There is a press conference scheduled for later today. They have met after the season ended and although not satisfied with the won-loss numbers, believe the pieces are in place for improvement. I suspect the buyout cost is certainly a factor, too. Would be interesting to know what specific goals/standards are in place to allow Manning to continue (assuming he would want to) beyond next season.

Just playing Duke close in a virtually meaningless late-season game (with Duke missing the best player in the nation) keeps one from getting fired?

wsb3
03-22-2019, 02:12 PM
Just playing Duke close in a virtually meaningless late-season game (with Duke missing the best player in the nation) keeps one from getting fired?

Or $18 Mil 😂

Tripping William
03-22-2019, 02:32 PM
And $18 Mil 😂

FIFY, as the young'uns say.

superdave
03-22-2019, 02:38 PM
My Wake friend is calling it The Lost Decade.

BandAlum83
03-22-2019, 02:40 PM
I'm very, very surprised by this. I thought he was for sure gone.

While I was very high on the Manning hire at first, I am pretty bearish on him at this point. I imagine he basically has to make the Tournament next year in order to stick around.

- Chillin

I would think that the heat of the seat, we will never see him sitting before or during games.