PDA

View Full Version : March Madness Viewing

whereinthehellami
03-21-2019, 12:30 PM
I got my setup at Buffalo Wild Wings, clear view of 4 TVs for when MM is in full swing and a nice tall IPA.

Louisville vs Minnesota is looking like a good matchup. Both teams moving the ball well.

elvis14
03-21-2019, 02:09 PM
I got my setup at Buffalo Wild Wings, clear view of 4 TVs for when MM is in full swing and a nice tall IPA.

Louisville vs Minnesota is looking like a good matchup. Both teams moving the ball well.

Last week, after my wife and I picked up a hospital bed for our charity, we stopped at BWW to grab some lunch. We sat in the bar. Eventually, she got mad at me for not following the conversation. There were so many TV's showing different games and sports that I realized that I couldn't focus on anything, much less follow a conversation.

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 02:40 PM
Doesn't it seem that this should be the default thread for real-time comment on the games going on?

Yale is hanging around and making this an interesting game.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-21-2019, 02:52 PM
I'm formulating my views on the Chuck-sedo. I thought it was clever the first time but I think it could grow old fast.

Valiant effort by Yale.

SavDukeGrad
03-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Jeff Capel on the in-studio panel on TBS.

whereinthehellami
03-21-2019, 02:58 PM
FSU not impressing me so far, which is unfortunate since I got them advancing to the sweet 16.

I really went back and forth on Auburn or NMS. Looking like a good call so far in going with Auburn. They seem a little bigger and faster.

whereinthehellami
03-21-2019, 03:08 PM
Last week, after my wife and I picked up a hospital bed for our charity, we stopped at BWW to grab some lunch. We sat in the bar. Eventually, she got mad at me for not following the conversation. There were so many TV's showing different games and sports that I realized that I couldn't focus on anything, much less follow a conversation.

I'm suffering a bit now, might have a little sensory overload. The 2nd IPA is not helping.

I've been doing BWW for the first day of MM for the last 5 years or so. It is a fun atmosphere for the first day.

I wouldn't want to watch a Duke game in this environment though. Let's just say that even the dog leaves the room when Duke is on.

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 03:14 PM
FSU not impressing me so far, which is unfortunate since I got them advancing to the sweet 16.

I really went back and forth on Auburn or NMS. Looking like a good call so far in going with Auburn. They seem a little bigger and faster.

I have them in the Final 4. Sometimes a deep run needs an early round wake up call!

weezie
03-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Oh dear whereinthehell, be careful what you admit to here... The SPCA night come knocking on your door.
Better not have any harsh comments for the refs!

devildeac
03-21-2019, 03:22 PM
Jeff Capel on the in-studio panel on TBS.

Hopefully, analytical, informative and unbiased, unlike some other former player. :mad:

devildeac
03-21-2019, 03:24 PM
I'm suffering a bit now, might have a little sensory overload. The 2nd IPA is not helping.

I've been doing BWW for the first day of MM for the last 5 years or so. It is a fun atmosphere for the first day.

I wouldn't want to watch a Duke game in this environment though. Let's just say that even the dog leaves the room when Duke is on.

Must need higher ABV. :o

whereinthehellami
03-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Oh dear whereinthehell, be careful what you admit to here... The SPCA night come knocking on your door.
Better not have any harsh comments for the refs!

Haha.

I would love for MSU to get knocked out early, even though my bracket would take a big hit.

Auburn game shaping up for a good finish.

weezie
03-21-2019, 06:48 PM
Fully done with the Geico barbershop quartet commercial ear worm.

Developing a phobia in fact.

JetpackJesus
03-21-2019, 06:57 PM
Fully done with the Geico barbershop quartet commercial ear worm.

Developing a phobia in fact.

The "Believe It" commercials are definitely GEICO's worst ad campaign that I can remember. Save for maybe the Soft Serve one, I think most of them are bad.

EDIT: On the subject of commercials, I would totally settle for announcers that are "Just Ok" as that would be a huge improvement over what we generally get.

moonpie23
03-21-2019, 08:18 PM
i've been thinking about calling my state farm agent to invite him to come over to the house and watch the game.....

brevity
03-21-2019, 08:22 PM
Glad to see there's a thread about the tournament broadcast, commercials, etc.

Why did CBS and Turner Sports decide to hide the most anticipated Thursday game -- Murray State vs. Marquette -- in the worst slot in their schedule? Historically, the last game of the first block of 8 games was so unimportant that many CBS affiliates opted for local news. Times have changed, and every game is shown in its entirety, but putting Ja Morant and Markus Howard at 4:20pm on TBS was a money-burning mistake.

It would not have been difficult to rearrange the Hartford schedule so that ODU-Purdue and St. Mary's-Villanova play in the day, while Vermont-FSU and Murray State-Marquette play at night. They probably could have put the night games on CBS as well, instead of Abilene Christian-Kentucky and Seton Hall-Wofford.

This was a Roger Goodell level of incompetence. I looked it up, and I saw that Duke alum Sean McManus is Chairman of CBS Sports, which probably means he no longer handles the daily operations. He also lives in Connecticut. So, in all fairness, I can't assume that Sean McManus is incompetent. I can assume that he's selfish if he went to Hartford for the games, and that his underlings are incompetent.

(As a footnote, and I probably should have started with this, I am somewhat upset that I was unable to see any of this game. I was driving, and the radio announcers were reduced to saying "We wish you could see this!")

NSDukeFan
03-21-2019, 09:08 PM
Glad to see there's a thread about the tournament broadcast, commercials, etc.

Why did CBS and Turner Sports decide to hide the most anticipated Thursday game -- Murray State vs. Marquette -- in the worst slot in their schedule? Historically, the last game of the first block of 8 games was so unimportant that many CBS affiliates opted for local news. Times have changed, and every game is shown in its entirety, but putting Ja Morant and Markus Howard at 4:20pm on TBS was a money-burning mistake.

It would not have been difficult to rearrange the Hartford schedule so that ODU-Purdue and St. Mary's-Villanova play in the day, while Vermont-FSU and Murray State-Marquette play at night. They probably could have put the night games on CBS as well, instead of Abilene Christian-Kentucky and Seton Hall-Wofford.

This was a Roger Goodell level of incompetence. I looked it up, and I saw that Duke alum Sean McManus is Chairman of CBS Sports, which probably means he no longer handles the daily operations. He also lives in Connecticut. So, in all fairness, I can't assume that Sean McManus is incompetent. I can assume that he's selfish if he went to Hartford for the games, and that his underlings are incompetent.

(As a footnote, and I probably should have started with this, I am somewhat upset that I was unable to see any of this game. I was driving, and the radio announcers were reduced to saying "We wish you could see this!")
I watched some of the game and realized why Ja Morant is a potential top 3 pick and Marcus Howard scored a whole lot of points this year. I hope Morant is in the tournament another weekend.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-21-2019, 10:12 PM
These AT&T ads with the guy who knows nothing about basketball are really horrible. And they are getting a ridiculous amount of air time.

JetpackJesus
03-21-2019, 10:32 PM
These AT&T ads with the guy who knows nothing about basketball are really horrible. And they are getting a ridiculous amount of air time.

I assume CBS actually paid AT&T for those ads to trick the viewers into thinking the announcers are at least OK.

SavDukeGrad
03-21-2019, 11:05 PM
We get the A Team announcers tomorrow in Columbia - Grant Hill, Jim Nantz, and Bill Raftery

JetpackJesus
03-21-2019, 11:16 PM
We get the A Team announcers tomorrow in Columbia - Grant Hill, Jim Nantz, and Bill Raftery

Excellent news. That's a solid broadcast team! If only there were more. Is Gus Johnson working the tournament this year?

Tjenkins
03-21-2019, 11:26 PM
Excellent news. That's a solid broadcast team! If only there were more. Is Gus Johnson working the tournament this year?

Sadly no, Johnson works for currently works for Fox Sports.

duke96
03-21-2019, 11:52 PM

That guy is way better than Len Elmore though...

JetpackJesus
03-22-2019, 12:38 AM
Sadly no, Johnson works for currently works for Fox Sports.
Boo. I seem to recall that CBS used to do side deals to bring in "talent" from other networks for only the tournament. Do they still do that (if they ever did)? Or is it strictly CBS people these days?

whereinthehellami
03-22-2019, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure if Cinci is decent or if Iowa is not decent. I'm leaning towards Cinci being decent though I'm not sure they have much of a chance to get past Tennessee in the next round.

Philsfan
03-22-2019, 01:43 PM
I really want to troll my few UNC fan friends who are in Columbia this weekend thinking that the Holes would be sent there. "So, you decided to start cheering for a real team?" That kind of thing...

75Crazie
03-22-2019, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure if Cinci is decent or if Iowa is not decent. I'm leaning towards Cinci being decent though I'm not sure they have much of a chance to get past Tennessee in the next round.
It is now certain they will not get past UT.

weezie
03-22-2019, 02:45 PM

Oh wow! I'm kind of liking them but yes they'll beat the life out of them. When he described what happened in first half "That's how we do it" and all the fans ditto, that was amusing.
Maybe they'll get better.

Acymetric
03-22-2019, 02:50 PM

Oh wow! I'm kind of liking them but yes they'll beat the life out of them. When he described what happened in first half "That's how we do it" and all the fans ditto, that was amusing.
Maybe they'll get better.

"I'm a happily married man now Ken, so I hardly think those stories would be appropriate"

Gets a smile out of me, at least.

BandAlum83
03-22-2019, 03:09 PM
"I'm a happily married man now Ken, so I hardly think those stories would be appropriate"

"The team is in their black uniforms with the gold trim"

"That's not what color commentary is.."

I think the spots are pretty creative. Doing their job, we are talking about it!

JetpackJesus
03-22-2019, 03:18 PM
"The team is in their black uniforms with the gold trim"

"That's not what color commentary is.."

I think the spots are pretty creative. Doing their job, we are talking about it!

At least for me, they've already worn thin because I've been streaming using the March Madness app since I'm at work, and they repeat those ads every single time you launch a stream before showing the actual game. So if you want to bounce between streams when there are 2-4 games happening at once, you get bombarded with those ads constantly. And then you get them during actual commercial breaks, too.

budwom
03-22-2019, 03:19 PM
who is the slouching dope who sits in the middle of the analyst panel? It's like he wandered in off the street or something...

Dukehk
03-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Oh goodness me..whats going on in the virginia game. Down 7 midway through the first half.

The players are in the midst of nightmare flashbacks..

House G
03-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Oh goodness me..whats going on in the virginia game. Down 7 midway through the first half.

The players are in the midst of nightmare flashbacks..

Deja vu all over again?

Dukehk
03-22-2019, 03:46 PM
Is this really happening to the cavs again?

richardjackson199
03-22-2019, 03:53 PM

Ron Burgundy-esque

J4Kop99
03-22-2019, 04:10 PM
Clark Kellogg always seems like he's in over his head

BigWayne
03-22-2019, 04:37 PM

At this moment, Iowa vs. Colgate is not out of the question.

brevity
03-23-2019, 03:04 PM
This is a sensible enough place to track conference performance in the tournament. All results through Friday night:

FIRST FOUR

Northeast: 1-0 (Fairleigh Dickinson)
Ohio Valley: 1-0 (Belmont)
Pac-12: 1-0 (Arizona State)
Summit: 1-0 (North Dakota State)

American, Big East, MEAC, SWAC: 0-1

ROUND OF 64

ACC: 5-2 (Duke, FSU, Virginia, Virginia Tech, UNC)
American: 2-1 (Houston, UCF)
Atlantic Sun: 1-0 (Liberty)
Big East: 1-2 (Villanova)
Big Ten: 7-1 (Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Purdue)
Big XII: 4-2 (Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech)
Big West: 1-0 (UC-Irvine)
MAC: 1-0 (Buffalo)
Ohio Valley: 1-1 (Murray State)
Pac-12: 2-1 (Oregon, Washington)
SEC: 5-2 (Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, LSU, Tennessee)
Southern: 1-0 (Wofford)
WCC: 1-1 (Gonzaga)

America East, Big Sky, Big South, Colonial, C-USA, Horizon, Ivy, MAAC, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Patriot, Southland, Summit, Sun Belt, WAC: 0-1
Atlantic 10, Mountain West: 0-2

weezie
03-24-2019, 02:59 PM
Well, so far I'm not gleaning anything insightful from the picture of the referee defender guy being summoned to explain a bad call, questionable call,"25 seconds checking phone messages no call in the paint" in any game.

He's very encouraging and gentle towards the poor stripes. Poor sad refs but always, always right. Never wrong, never ever influencing anything.

Defender talking head/picture guy has a great gig going on!

brevity
03-24-2019, 11:48 PM
Conference performance at the end of the first weekend:

FIRST FOUR

ROUND OF 64

Big Ten: 7-1 (Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Purdue)

America East, Big Sky, Big South, Colonial, C-USA, Horizon, Ivy, MAAC, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Patriot, Southland, Summit, Sun Belt, WAC: 0-1

ROUND OF 32

ACC: 5-0 (Duke, FSU, Virginia, Virginia Tech, UNC)
American: 1-1 (Houston)
Big Ten: 3-4 (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue)
Big XII: 1-3 (Texas Tech)
Pac-12: 1-1 (Oregon)
SEC: 4-1 (Auburn, Kentucky, LSU, Tennessee)
WCC: 1-0 (Gonzaga)

Atlantic Sun, Big East, Big West, MAC, Ohio Valley, Southern: 0-1

J4Kop99
03-25-2019, 11:00 AM
Raftery was especially anti-duke last night. I usually enjoy Bill but I was audibly yelling at him through the TV during the shot-clock violation replay sequence.

-The entire CBS broadcast felt off. There was no rhythm to the broadcast or chemistry from Nantz and Co. I also felt that certain replays were completely missed at times.

budwom
03-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Raftery was especially anti-duke last night. I usually enjoy Bill but I was audibly yelling at him through the TV during the shot-clock violation replay sequence.

-The entire CBS broadcast felt off. There was no rhythm to the broadcast or chemistry from Nantz and Co. I also felt that certain replays were completely missed at times.

Anything involving Nantz merits the mute button, he's clueless. Thoroughly enjoyable game with the sound off.

DukieInBrasil
03-25-2019, 06:25 PM
So, overall:
ACC - 10-2 (83.3%)
PAC - 4-2 (66.7%)
American - 3-2 (60%)
Big East - 1-3 (25%)
B1G Ten - 10-5 (66.7%)
Big XII - 5-5 (50%)
SEC - 9-3 (75%)
WCC - 2-1 (66.7%)

ACC is tied for most overall wins, and has the highest winning % so far.
Absolute travesty that neither Clemson nor NCSU got in, when at least one of the two, and likely both, should have received invites. Ed. - to add: or at least Clemson and NCSU were as deserving of making the field as other teams who got at-large bids.

uh_no
03-25-2019, 06:36 PM
So, overall:
ACC - 10-2 (83.3%)
PAC - 4-2 (66.7%)
American - 3-2 (60%)
Big East - 1-3 (25%)
B1G Ten - 10-5 (66.7%)
Big XII - 5-5 (50%)
SEC - 9-3 (75%)
WCC - 2-1 (66.7%)

ACC is tied for most overall wins, and has the highest winning % so far.
Absolute travesty that neither Clemson nor NCSU got in, when at least one of the two, and likely both, should have received invites. Ed. - to add: or at least Clemson and NCSU were as deserving of making the field as other teams who got at-large bids.

i don't think anyone has denied that the ACC is fantastic at the top....but syracuse and UL laying complete eggs is some indication that the middle of the ACC was not so strong. Had clemson and NCSU gotten in, I think there is a strong chanc ethey would have been first round outs anyway.

At least in NCSU's case, they only have themselves to blame for their terribad OOC schedule. and it wasn't like it was only kind of bad. it was worst in the country bad...and not just among the worst...the ABSOLUTE worst.

Clemson had a better case on metrics...and they largely beat who they should have, and lost to who they should have. A single win over a top 25 team is really hard to hang a resume on....and they just got beaten by a very mediocre WSU team...it's mostly a shame for them, as they had some of the worst luck in the country (321/353)...but at some point, you gotta win some quality games...and they didn't do enough of that. So tough break for them, but I don't believe they were going anywhere anyway.

-jk
03-25-2019, 06:42 PM
i don't think anyone has denied that the ACC is fantastic at the top...but syracuse and UL laying complete eggs is some indication that the middle of the ACC was not so strong. Had clemson and NCSU gotten in, I think there is a strong chanc ethey would have been first round outs anyway.

At least in NCSU's case, they only have themselves to blame for their terribad OOC schedule. and it wasn't like it was only kind of bad. it was worst in the country bad...and not just among the worst...the ABSOLUTE worst.

Clemson had a better case on metrics...and they largely beat who they should have, and lost to who they should have. A single win over a top 25 team is really hard to hang a resume on...and they just got beaten by a very mediocre WSU team...it's mostly a shame for them, as they had some of the worst luck in the country (321/353)...but at some point, you gotta win some quality games...and they didn't do enough of that. So tough break for them, but I don't believe they were going anywhere anyway.

And State set a modern record (or it should be, anyway), scoring just 24 in a shot clock era game...

(Yeah, still hating 12-10...)

-jk

Lurkingdukedog
03-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Anything involving Nantz merits the mute button, he's clueless. Thoroughly enjoyable game with the sound off.

The best thing about Nantz are his commericals with Spike, Charles, and Samuel.

Pghdukie
03-25-2019, 07:10 PM
Charles will always be top billing !

weezie
03-25-2019, 07:41 PM
The best thing about Nantz ...

Is his glee at getting a chance to say "If it goes in it's goooood!!!" whenever a last second halftime shot or end of game shot is heaved as the clock runs out.

That's about it for one of the original Commentator Obvious-es.

wilson
03-26-2019, 09:10 AM
Has anyone tried to watch tournament games on a plane recently? I know that just directly streaming through the in-flight wifi is not gonna happen, but sometimes there are some not-awful live TV offerings in the regular onboard entertainment. I'll be flying to London on a Delta flight right about tip time on Friday. Any advice?

uh_no
03-26-2019, 09:20 AM
Has anyone tried to watch tournament games on a plane recently? I know that just directly streaming through the in-flight wifi is not gonna happen, but sometimes there are some not-awful live TV offerings in the regular onboard entertainment. I'll be flying to London on a Delta flight right about tip time on Friday. Any advice?

i didn't think delta had live tv on flights...you can usually search the airline website for what on-board entertainment there'll be.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-26-2019, 09:32 AM

A friend was just telling me she was on a cross-country flight during games this weekend and got to watch on the seat-back TV. I'm not sure what airline it was. She said it was not ideal but it was better than nothing.

uh_no
03-26-2019, 09:34 AM
A friend was just telling me she was on a cross-country flight during games this weekend and got to watch on the seat-back TV. I'm not sure what airline it was. She said it was not ideal but it was better than nothing.

jetblue and some united you definitely can.

Phredd3
03-26-2019, 10:59 AM
i didn't think delta had live tv on flights...you can usually search the airline website for what on-board entertainment there'll be.

Delta had the ACC tourney on a cross-country flight I took recently. Don't know about overseas, but I'd guess if you have seatback screens, you'll be able to see it.

Bluedog
03-26-2019, 12:46 PM

I don't think they're the best broadcast crew ever but give me the CBS guys over ESPN any day of the week. They call the game, keep generally calm and bias free, and honestly oddly put me more at ease than listening to Bilas and crew. They don't usually harp much on officiating which I typically appreciate. And while Nantz doesn't necessarily have great basketball insights, still has a great voice and is always professional. Of the choices presented to us as an audience, they are my favored choice.

Kfanarmy
03-26-2019, 12:57 PM

Change your flight? :cool: I mean seriously, priorities!

brevity
03-30-2019, 12:23 AM
ELITE EIGHT GAMES

Saturday (https://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/basketball-men/d1/2019/03/30/all-conf)

Texas Tech-Gonzaga 6:09pm ET, TBS
Purdue-Virginia 8:49pm ET, TBS

Sunday (https://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/basketball-men/d1/2019/03/31/all-conf)

Auburn-Kentucky 2:20pm ET, CBS
Michigan State-Duke 5:05pm ET, CBS

brevity
03-30-2019, 01:35 AM
Conference performance after three rounds:

FIRST FOUR

ROUND OF 64

ROUND OF 32

SWEET 16

ACC: 2-3 (Duke, Virginia)
Big Ten: 2-1 (Michigan State, Purdue)
Big XII: 1-0 (Texas Tech)
SEC: 2-2 (Auburn, Kentucky)

American, Pac-12: 0-1

heyman25
03-30-2019, 01:43 AM
Tonight's game their stupid laughing and lame commentary drove me up the wall. I think Grant Hill is a great ambassador for Duke, but he was awful tonight. Bill Rffety is annoying. Nantz I can tolerate.

Wish we could have Hubie Brown and someone like Dan Shulman for the next game.

TruBlu
03-30-2019, 02:01 AM
ELITE EIGHT GAMES

Saturday (https://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/basketball-men/d1/2019/03/30/all-conf)

Texas Tech-Gonzaga 6:09pm ET, TBS
Purdue-Virginia 8:49pm ET, TBS

Sunday (https://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/basketball-men/d1/2019/03/31/all-conf)

Auburn-Kentucky 2:20pm ET, CBS
Michigan State-Duke 5:05pm ET, CBS

You failed to give the game time for unc’s game. Oh, wait ...

J4Kop99
03-30-2019, 02:04 AM
Tonight's game their stupid laughing and lame commentary drove me up the wall. I think Grant Hill is a great ambassador for Duke, but he was awful tonight. Bill Rffety is annoying. Nantz I can tolerate.

Wish we could have Hubie Brown and someone like Dan Shulman for the next game.

I can assure you that you will have the exact same announcers come late Sunday afternoon.

--on a side note: the cbs execs must be licking their chops with this 5:05 duke v msu game. This might outdraw an NFL game

CrazyNotCrazie
03-30-2019, 11:36 PM
I really don't get why Martha Hunt the model is on the post-game show, but since she appears to be a huge Duke fan, it is OK by me.

KandG
03-30-2019, 11:43 PM
I really don't get why Martha Hunt the model is on the post-game show, but since she appears to be a huge Duke fan, it is OK by me.

Ha, yeah that was a totally random appearance. I assume she had some sort of CBS/TBS connection, not sure what reason she had to be there otherwise.

brevity
03-31-2019, 10:53 PM
FINAL FOUR VIEWING

Saturday (https://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/basketball-men/d1/2019/04/06/all-conf)

Auburn-Virginia 6:09pm ET, CBS
Texas Tech-Michigan State 8:49pm ET, CBS

Monday

Championship 9:23pm ET, CBS

---

Conference performance after four rounds:

FIRST FOUR

ROUND OF 64

ROUND OF 32

SWEET 16

ELITE 8

ACC: 1-1 (Virginia)
Big Ten: 1-1 (Michigan State)
SEC: 1-1 (Auburn)

WCC: 0-1

brevity
04-09-2019, 03:26 AM
Conference performance throughout the tournament:

FIRST FOUR

ROUND OF 64

ROUND OF 32

SWEET 16

ELITE 8

ACC: 1-1 (Virginia)
Big Ten: 1-1 (Michigan State)