PDA

View Full Version : PJ Washington out for first round tonight with sprained foot

scottdude8
03-21-2019, 10:56 AM
As is being reported by SI.com (https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/03/21/kentucky-pj-washington-foot-sprain-injury-update) and others, directly from a Calipari tweet.

This certainly indicates things are more serious than the "precautionary reasons" for the boot as was initially reported. Kentucky already is entering the tourney on a bit of a downer following the loss to Tennessee... could this make them more upset prone (if not tonight, in the second round in a potential matchup with Wofford)?

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 11:08 AM
As is being reported by SI.com (https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/03/21/kentucky-pj-washington-foot-sprain-injury-update) and others, directly from a Calipari tweet.

This certainly indicates things are more serious than the "precautionary reasons" for the boot as was initially reported. Kentucky already is entering the tourney on a bit of a downer following the loss to Tennessee... could this make them more upset prone (if not tonight, in the second round in a potential matchup with Wofford)?

He's no longer in a boot, he's in a hard cast.

Calipari said in a tweet that Washington doesn't have a fracture in his foot, but a sprain that will keep him out of action and his foot has been placed in a hard cast.

I have them going to the final four. PJ has been THE MAN for them the past couple of weeks, This is major for them. Even without him, I don't see anyone stopping them from getting to next weekend. Will he be ready by then?

Without him in the Sweet 16 it's not unreasonable to think Iowa State or Houston could take them. Definitely uNC or Auburn could knock them out, if he's not playing.

This is tough. A real bracket-busting conundrum.

A hard cast as a precaution?

Acymetric
03-21-2019, 11:22 AM

I have them going to the final four. PJ has been THE MAN for them the past couple of weeks, This is major for them. Even without him, I don't see anyone stopping them from getting to next weekend. Will he be ready by then?

Without him in the Sweet 16 it's not unreasonable to think Iowa State or Houston could take them. Definitely uNC or Auburn could knock them out, if he's not playing.

I have them in the championship game! 40 minutes to make a decision...

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 11:26 AM
I have them in the championship game! 40 minutes to make a decision...

ARRRGH! This is difficult.

The hard cast is so much more permanent. It sends a message. It really would change everything for Ky.

Plus I have so many free brackets in so many places, do I change them all. Or do I just have faith that he will either be back or Ky figures it out?

BD80
03-21-2019, 11:29 AM

Just as I was beginning to soften a bit on cal, his interviews on selection Sunday amused me, he goes and reminds me why I hate the pric! k It is one thing to keep the injury quiet to preserve the team's seeding, in my mind he almost has an obligation to. But here he has expressly mislead the media and thereby his upcoming opponent. He is obliged to disclose the hard cast, is he not? Anyone doubt that the "soft cast" was done intentionally to minimize the injury to the press? Is a hard cast ever put on for just a day or two? That is misrepresentation!

Acymetric
03-21-2019, 11:30 AM
ARRRGH! This is difficult.

The hard cast is so much more permanent. It sends a message. It really would change everything for Ky.

Plus I have so many free brackets in so many places, do I change them all. Or do I just have faith that he will either be back or Ky figures it out?

My biggest problem is that unless I seriously re-tool my bracket the easy change puts UVA in the title game, and I just don't believe in that happening (apologies to all our recent UVA guests).

scottdude8
03-21-2019, 11:31 AM

Hmm, I hadn't seen that... do you have a link for that? Not questioning, just curious.

Everything I'm seeing seems to say that even the mildest "foot sprain" is a multi-week recovery (much like with knee sprains, which we're now all well acquainted with). It seems doubtful to me now that he'd play at all this weekend, right? Liking my Wofford pick even more now...

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 11:33 AM
My biggest problem is that unless I seriously re-tool my bracket the easy change puts UVA in the title game, and I just don't believe in that happening (apologies to all our recent UVA guests).

A butterfly flaps its wings in china and a hurricane hits the southeast US.

I have uNC losing to Auburn. Why do I get the feeling everything changes for them if Ky loses before the elite 8, and uNC somehow gets by Auburn.

It's like fate is working to bring us the Armageddon game.

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 11:35 AM
Hmm, I hadn't seen that... do you have a link for that? Not questioning, just curious.

Everything I'm seeing seems to say that even the mildest "foot sprain" is a multi-week recovery (much like with knee sprains, which we're now all well acquainted with). It seems doubtful to me now that he'd play at all this weekend, right? Liking my Wofford pick even more now...

It's in the SI story that was linked in the original post. It was also in the Calipari tweet that the story showed. Pretty hard to miss, unless the story was updated after the initial posting.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/03/21/kentucky-pj-washington-foot-sprain-injury-update

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 11:37 AM
They should still be able to get by the Abilene Brothers of the Poor in Ripped Pants, right?

FerryFor50
03-21-2019, 11:38 AM

I didn't have Wofford making it past Seton Hall. I think UK can make it out of the first weekend without PJ, but after that? Who knows...

scottdude8
03-21-2019, 11:39 AM
It's in the SI story that was linked in the original post. It was also in the Calipari tweet that the story showed. Pretty hard to miss, unless the story was updated after the initial posting.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/03/21/kentucky-pj-washington-foot-sprain-injury-update

Yup my bad, missed it was in the tweet!

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 11:40 AM
Yup my bad, missed it was in the tweet!

It's in the body of the story as well. The story is what I quoted.

Acymetric
03-21-2019, 11:42 AM
A butterfly flaps its wings in china and a hurricane hits the southeast US.

I have uNC losing to Auburn. Why do I get the feeling everything changes for them if Ky loses before the elite 8, and uNC somehow gets by Auburn.

It's like fate is working to bring us the Armageddon game.

I now have Auburn in the championship game. I was tempted to go with Cincy. This is a nightmare. I wish Michigan and UVA's brackets could switch sides. I'd feel much better about Duke-Auburn in the Final Four and Duke-Michigan in the final than the other way around.

Ballboy1998
03-21-2019, 11:49 AM
Brace yourself now for unc to make it to the title game facing nothing better than a 5 seed...

kAzE
03-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Yikes, he's their best and most important player. I had UK beating UNC and reaching the championship . . now I think Duke/UNC is more likely. That's what I'm going with.

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Brace yourself now for unc to make it to the title game facing nothing better than a 5 seed...

Exactly. That's my Butterfly reference. It seems like fate wants to bring us THE GAME this year.

SavDukeGrad
03-21-2019, 11:52 AM
I now have Auburn in the championship game. I was tempted to go with Cincy. This is a nightmare. I wish Michigan and UVA's brackets could switch sides. I'd feel much better about Duke-Auburn in the Final Four and Duke-Michigan in the final than the other way around.

As much as I hate to say it, this is a huge break for Carolina. Have to hope Washington will be back by next weekend.

Has there ever been a luckier team than Carolina this year, with regards to opponents’ injuries to their star players?

FerryFor50
03-21-2019, 11:53 AM
As much as I hate to say it, this is a huge break for Carolina. Have to hope Washington will be back by next weekend.

Has there ever been a luckier team than Carolina this year, with regards to opponents’ injuries to their star players?

Wait. I was told it was simply Roy's superior coaching. :rolleyes:

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 11:54 AM
Wait. I was told it was simply Roy's superior coaching. :rolleyes:

The Tonya Harding approach to coaching?

DukieInKansas
03-21-2019, 12:13 PM
They should still be able to get by the Abilene Brothers of the Poor in Ripped Pants, right?

But I will be cheering on said ripped pants. Let's go, Wildcats!

mapei
03-21-2019, 12:14 PM
Ugh. I have Kentucky in the championship game. I'm too lazy to change everything, so I'm just going to take my lumps.

Spanarkel
03-21-2019, 12:18 PM

Ironically, and though it involves just one injury, the '74-'75 UK team was able to defeat undefeated IU in the R8 game, in which its star scorer Scott May played only 7 ineffective minutes with a cast on his broken left arm from a recent fracture. Coach K was an assistant on that IU team, which Bobby Knight called his best team ever(4 of 5 All Big 10 team that year were Hoosiers). IU had thrashed UK by 20+ points earlier that season.

kAzE
03-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Ironically, and though it involves just one injury, the '74-'75 UK team was able to defeat undefeated IU in the R8 game, in which its star scorer Scott May played only 7 ineffective minutes with a cast on his broken left arm from a recent fracture. Coach K was an assistant on that IU team, which Bobby Knight called his best team ever(4 of 5 All Big 10 team that year were Hoosiers). IU had thrashed UK by 20+ points earlier that season.

If Washington was a wing or a 3 point shooter, I could see this not being as impactful, but as their #1 energy guy, this injury has the potential to completely change the team, even if he's back on the court. I'd be devastated if I were a UK fan.

AGDukesky
03-21-2019, 12:37 PM
I’m officially calling UNC “Asterisk U” from now on

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 12:39 PM
I’m officially calling UNC “Asterisk U” from now on

but always lowercase "u"

As in uNC

devildeac
03-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Wish I'd read this an hour ago. I'd have changed that bracket. I had them beating the cheats in the regional final. I need a new t-shirt to say:

I still hate calipari/UK.

BD80
03-21-2019, 12:56 PM

If you only own 2 suits, how can you be so cavalier as to leave one of those suits in an airport?

The AD has to be loving the attention this story is getting. Alum will be so embarrassed they should pour money into the program!

richardjackson199
03-23-2019, 02:54 PM
Paging billy

Is it unusual to have a hard cast for a foot sprain?

Phredd3
03-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Paging billy

Is it unusual to have a hard cast for a foot sprain?

Not just a hard cast. They showed him entering the arena with his team today and he was rolling in with one of those knee carts. It sure doesn't look like a day-to-day kind of deal.

dukelifer
03-23-2019, 04:46 PM
Not just a hard cast. They showed him entering the arena with his team today and he was rolling in with one of those knee carts. It sure doesn't look like a day-to-day kind of deal.
I would be shocked if he is not out the whole tourney. He heard something pop. That suggests many weeks.

Dukehk
03-23-2019, 04:52 PM
I would be shocked if he is not out the whole tourney. He heard something pop. That suggests many weeks.

Terrible news for them. Never want to see a team not at full strength.

roy must have had a horseshoe AND lucky charm surgically inserted into a certain orifice.

dukelifer
03-23-2019, 05:53 PM
Terrible news for them. Never want to see a team not at full strength.

roy must have had a horseshoe AND lucky charm surgically inserted into a certain orifice.

UNC has a pretty easy path to the FF

uh_no
03-23-2019, 05:57 PM

not necessarily. popping in general could be equivalent to just cracking a joint, totally benign, but the corroborating evidence didn't seem promising.

Dukehk
03-23-2019, 05:57 PM

kansas in kansas city wont be easy, but who knows if the jayhawks even get there. They are a shadow of the team they were at the beginning of the year.

Steven43
03-23-2019, 06:00 PM

The ONLY excuse to ever cheer for Kentucky is if they are playing UNC.

dukelifer
03-23-2019, 06:04 PM
not necessarily. popping in general could be equivalent to just cracking a joint, totally benign, but the corroborating evidence didn't seem promising.

Also said pain was 10 out of 10 and immediate swelling. All very bad signs

uh_no
03-23-2019, 06:14 PM
Also said pain was 10 out of 10 and immediate swelling. All very bad signs

maybe it was metaphorical pain and swelling in his emotions?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-23-2019, 06:48 PM

I'm sorry. If we had both Kansas and Kentucky in our region, playing in Kansas, we would be apoplectic.

dukelifer
03-23-2019, 06:58 PM
I'm sorry. If we had both Kansas and Kentucky in our region, playing in Kansas, we would be apoplectic.

Under usual circumstances for sure- even beginning of the season circumstances. That said we are apoplectic in general.

uh_no
03-23-2019, 07:18 PM
Under usual circumstances for sure- even beginning of the season circumstances. That said we are apoplectic in general.

i tend to not get to up in arms about tourney matchups. sometimes they work in your favor, sometimes they don't. the west will usually be weakest and the east strongest because of the insane bracketing procedures.

So it is what it is. beat who comes your way.

MChambers
03-23-2019, 07:30 PM

Alarmingly apoplectic!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2019, 08:16 AM

And imagine how upset our fans would be if at the last moment we had to play Auburn in Kansas instead!

(I guess this is why it is sort of silly to wring your hands over who you might meet)

Tripping William
03-24-2019, 08:19 AM
And imagine how upset our fans would be if at the last moment we had to play Auburn in Kansas instead!

(I guess this is why it is sort of silly to wring your hands over who you might meet)

Or Auburn in Missouri for that matter .....:o

HereBeforeCoachK
03-24-2019, 08:27 AM
i tend to not get to up in arms about tourney matchups. sometimes they work in your favor, sometimes they don't. the west will usually be weakest and the east strongest because of the insane bracketing procedures.

So it is what it is. beat who comes your way.

Well it is what it is for sure, but it very often has a hand, or seems to have, in determining the Natty winner. I would say Duke normally doesn't catch many breaks here (SC in Greenville, Kansas last year in the Jayhawk town of Omaha, and others through the years) - but there were breaks caught for the last two Natty - Kentucky losing to West Virginia in 2010 and Kentucky losing to Wisconsin in 2015. Would those Duke teams have beaten UK? Perhaps, but I was happy not to play them those two seasons.

Meanwhile it seems that Roy and his Satanic deal have the brackets falling apart in front of them almost every year......(I'm biased).

Maybe we'll win today and get Liberty next week....:cool:....and I'll feel better.