PDA

View Full Version : Coach K's greatest strength

Jeffrey
11-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi,

This thread will probably not require any justification. :)

What do you think is Coach K's greatest strength? My vote is his leadership skills. I realize that is very broad but I am particularly referencing his ability to sell his vision and get others to sometimes sacrifice personal gain (or their perception of) for the good of the whole.

-Jeffrey

hurleyfor3
11-02-2007, 10:09 AM
he doesn't care what people on the internets think

Jumbo
11-02-2007, 10:10 AM
His biceps.

hurleyfor3
11-02-2007, 10:13 AM
His biceps.

That would be Bobby Knight's... throwing stuff and slamming phones, that kind of thing.

Jeffrey
11-02-2007, 10:35 AM
he doesn't care what people on the internets think

Hi,

I seriously doubt he ever reads this stuff. Sure hope not.... he has better things to be doing. :D

Lessthenever, I thought this was a discussion board. :confused:

-Jeffrey

Devilsfan
11-02-2007, 10:38 AM
He looks years younger.

elvis14
11-02-2007, 10:42 AM
I think it's his ability to handle things like people talking about his weaknesses without feeling so insecure that he has to fire off a list of positives in response. I really like that about him :D

dw0827
11-02-2007, 11:21 AM
His hair.

throatybeard
11-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I will always remember his smile.

bdh21
11-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Strengths is the longest 1 syllable word!

jacone21
11-02-2007, 12:01 PM
He's the only person in the world that can contain Patrick Davidson.

Jeffrey
11-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Strengths is the longest 1 syllable word!

Hi,

Nope, it's squelched! :D

-Jeffrey

throatybeard
11-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Strengths is actually longer than squelched when you look at how many phones are in it. (8 to 7). This is because of the voiceless stop insertion between the [n] and the [theta]. This is assuming the affricate that we spell <ch> is treated as one sound. And that the offglide in the diphthong [e] is not counted as a separate sound.

Now is some varieties, you get the [e] lowered to [epsilon] and no insertion of the [k], so then you'd only have 7 phones. Most of those speakers would also turn the [theta] into a stop, [t].

hurleyfor3
11-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Or scrunched.

Strengths is the longest word that contains only one letter that is a conventional vowel.

And as I shouldn't have to point out, words with interesting spellings are completely on-topic for a thread that discusses Mike Krzyzewski.

Jeffrey
11-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Strengths is actually longer than squelched when you look at how many phones are in it. (8 to 7). This is because of the voiceless stop insertion between the [n] and the [theta]. This is assuming the affricate that we spell <ch> is treated as one sound. And that the offglide in the diphthong [e] is not counted as a separate sound.

Now is some varieties, you get the [e] lowered to [epsilon] and no insertion of the [k], so then you'd only have 7 phones. Most of those speakers would also turn the [theta] into a stop, [t].

Hi,

Damn, I've been squelched again! :D

-Jeffrey

DevilAlumna
11-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm gonna go with, "his acting abilities," for the center square.

greybeard
11-03-2007, 03:01 AM
K's greatest strength is his insights on how to develop intelligent and talented boys into extraordinary men. He understands, it seems to me, that in all but a few cases, giving freshman and even sophomores crucial responsibilities during crunch time for the sake of winning is the wrong thing to do. Extraordinary. He makes sure young men are mature and experienced before he allows them to succeed at such times, which has far more potential for disrupting their development than failing.

The man is an extraordinary educator; can't imagine there is a better one at Duke.

mepanchin
11-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Motivation. Duke teams don't take possessions off.

camion
11-03-2007, 08:37 AM
His chief strength is leadership...leadership and intelligence...intelligence and leadership.... His two strengths are leadership and intelligence...and ruthless efficiency.... His *three* strengths are leadership, intelligence, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the game.... His *four*...no... *Amongst* his strengths.... Amongst his strengths ...are such elements as leadership, intelligence.... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Duke Zone!!!

captmojo
11-03-2007, 02:43 PM
He is not Dean! Now Biggles, poke them with the soft cushions!

CatfiveCane
11-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Coach K is a great motivator and recruiter. I believe these are his two greatest strengths as a basketball coach. His team is always ready to play and he always gets top notch talent to play in his system

His weakness: He is a not a great game-day coach. And he is very stubborn. In my opinion I have seen him get outcoached and lose to inferior talent. He also does not bend. It's his way or the highway. This works well when you got the talent to back it up. However when we don't... Duke does worse then it should.

Don't yell at me. I'm just stating my opinions.

dukemsu
11-04-2007, 03:22 PM
His greatest strength can also be construed as a weakness-he has complete confidence in himself and his system. That can lead to being a tad inflexible, which can help cost him a game or hurt his image-which has contributed to the Duke Hatred Tsunami, in my opinion.

dkbaseball
11-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Coach K is a great motivator and recruiter. I believe these are his two greatest strengths as a basketball coach. His team is always ready to play and he always gets top notch talent to play in his system

His weakness: He is a not a great game-day coach. And he is very stubborn. In my opinion I have seen him get outcoached and lose to inferior talent. He also does not bend. It's his way or the highway. This works well when you got the talent to back it up. However when we don't... Duke does worse then it should.

Don't yell at me. I'm just stating my opinions.

I agree 100 percent with every word. I get the sense, however, that he has gone back into the learner mode after the last couple of Duke seasons and the world games in '06. That's why I'm so excited about this season. The talent's first rate, IMO, and K seems to have a new and more willing-to-learn attitude.

Karl Beem
11-04-2007, 04:51 PM
His greatest strength can also be construed as a weakness-he has complete confidence in himself and his system. That can lead to being a tad inflexible, which can help cost him a game or hurt his image-which has contributed to the Duke Hatred Tsunami, in my opinion.

Wow. Why would losing a game contribute to the D.H.T. I's think they would be happy.

BTW, I think that flexibility is one of K's strengths.

dukemsu
11-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Wow. Why would losing a game contribute to the D.H.T. I's think they would be happy.

BTW, I think that flexibility is one of K's strengths.

I meant more along the lines of his inflexiblity with media, etc. He's not the most available guy, (sending the assistants to do the ridiculous half-time interviews, only talking to a few outlets, etc). That's more of what I meant as contributing to the DHT.

throatybeard
11-05-2007, 01:42 PM

Note to self: add "K is inflexible" to Koaching Koncerns section of HPR.

ronnic
11-05-2007, 02:04 PM
I think Coack's biggest strength lies in his own experience. When it comes time for crunch time situations he's been there so many times he doesn't panic or scramble around, he doesn't start yelling madly, he acts in a calm, been there-done that manner that carries over to the team.