PDA

View Full Version : Chat and In Game Decorum

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2019, 08:21 PM
Requisite Disclaimer: I am not a moderator just a long time poster

I am curious to gauge the temp of our community regarding in game threads and chat. I have found that the tenor has changed dramatically over the past few seasons. It may be that it reflects a shift in internet culture, sports culture, or our society as a whole, or I may be already getting over my skis.

This is, without a doubt, one of the most closely moderated boards I have ever seen. Those folks do yeoman and largely thankless work here, keeping us roughly pointed in a positive direction. I am very appreciative of that work.

There seems to be a level of acceptance for diversion in the game threads and the chat.

I am sure most of you are familiar with it. A player on our team misses back to back shots, he should be benched. We fall down by double digits and the coaches are idiots for not subbing out a player. A charge is called, and the ref is a moron, the commentators are idiots, and the player should stop driving to the basket.

I understand that these venues exist for the analysis and critique of our favorite team and the players on that team. But I also find some of the directed criticism to cross a line that I find to venture into Terping.

I will readily admit that I am old school. I have a belief in the process, in our players, and in K. They are far from infallible, but as someone recently pointed out, those times of difficulty are when we ought to be MOST supportive of our team.

I do not mean to whine about the general tone of these things here, and I certainly understand that emotions for all of us run strong when our team is not succeeding. But we have a GREAT team, the best coach in the history of the sport, and some truly transcendent talent. We are NEVER out of any game until the last buzzer, as proven several times already this season.

So, you can tell me I am an old fogey or that this board is the only place you can vent among friends and like-minded folks. You can say whatever you want. I am just curious if I am alone in this level of discomfort.

There are six games left, if we are lucky. We won't be constantly playing perfect ball and getting every call. There will likely be times when we are exasperated. But I, for one, would love to see more positivity and support - even when we are losing, behind, missing, or being confounding.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

ncexnyc
03-18-2019, 09:01 PM
I've made several comments about the behavior during the in-game threads and my feelings are that if you want to go on full blast being critical of the team that's fine, just be ready with a large towel once the game ends to wipe that egg off your face.

curtis325
03-18-2019, 09:31 PM

I am curious to gauge the temp of our community regarding in game threads and chat. I have found that the tenor has changed dramatically over the past few seasons. It may be that it reflects a shift in internet culture, sports culture, or our society as a whole, or I may be already getting over my skis.

This is, without a doubt, one of the most closely moderated boards I have ever seen. Those folks do yeoman and largely thankless work here, keeping us roughly pointed in a positive direction. I am very appreciative of that work.

There seems to be a level of acceptance for diversion in the game threads and the chat.

I am sure most of you are familiar with it. A player on our team misses back to back shots, he should be benched. We fall down by double digits and the coaches are idiots for not subbing out a player. A charge is called, and the ref is a moron, the commentators are idiots, and the player should stop driving to the basket.

I understand that these venues exist for the analysis and critique of our favorite team and the players on that team. But I also find some of the directed criticism to cross a line that I find to venture into Terping.

I will readily admit that I am old school. I have a belief in the process, in our players, and in K. They are far from infallible, but as someone recently pointed out, those times of difficulty are when we ought to be MOST supportive of our team.

I do not mean to whine about the general tone of these things here, and I certainly understand that emotions for all of us run strong when our team is not succeeding. But we have a GREAT team, the best coach in the history of the sport, and some truly transcendent talent. We are NEVER out of any game until the last buzzer, as proven several times already this season.

So, you can tell me I am an old fogey or that this board is the only place you can vent among friends and like-minded folks. You can say whatever you want. I am just curious if I am alone in this level of discomfort.

There are six games left, if we are lucky. We won't be constantly playing perfect ball and getting every call. There will likely be times when we are exasperated. But I, for one, would love to see more positivity and support - even when we are losing, behind, missing, or being confounding.

YOUR A OLD FOGEY.

And so are I.

I don't like to go to the game chats anymore (even though I do peek in occasionally). Then again, I don't really need to go there. Maybe the game chats should be left to those who like that sort of atmosphere.

Furniture
03-18-2019, 09:32 PM
Some posters take on a completely different personality in the Chat room. To me it’s very distasteful and it’s a pity because I generally enjoy participating....

OldPhiKap
03-18-2019, 09:32 PM

Outstanding.

moonpie23
03-18-2019, 09:34 PM
i liken the chat room to being in a bar with like-minded fans.....nay, JUST us dukie fans to be exact. If you read the chat rooms posts out loud, it's a bunch of fan-folks being armchair coaches/refs/players, and yes, we all get frustrated, depressed and down right angry during the game.

that's the passion that we have for the game, and our team. I might be guilty of wringing my hands a bit, but, i love the team, and i'm watching every game if i can....

weezie
03-18-2019, 09:55 PM
I go for the trivia contest. I intend to win that challenge one of these days.

And I certainly enjoy ref bashing. If it's ok with JB in chat that's fine by me. He rides herd loosely but also brings the hammer down when it's warranted.

My opinion.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2019, 09:59 PM

And I certainly enjoy ref bashing. If it's ok with JB in chat that's fine by me. He rides herd loosely but also brings the hammer down when it's warranted.

My opinion.

And I respect the heck out of your opinion. Thanks for your two cents!

MaxAMillion
03-18-2019, 10:14 PM
Honestly it is what fan behavior has become in all sports. Just ripping players and coaches when you are disappointed. I know on the 24/7 site people were calling K stupid in the Carolina game thread. That is just too much for me. I avoid these sites more and more during games or after losses. Too much negativity for me.

Furniture
03-18-2019, 10:19 PM
If it's ok with JB in chat that's fine by me. He rides herd loosely but also brings the hammer down when it's warranted.

My opinion.

I left the Carolina game thread half way through like a couple of others. The next day there seemed to be a few people missing.....I could be wrong.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2019, 10:20 PM
i liken the chat room to being in a bar with like-minded fans....nay, JUST us dukie fans to be exact. If you read the chat rooms posts out loud, it's a bunch of fan-folks being armchair coaches/refs/players, and yes, we all get frustrated, depressed and down right angry during the game.

that's the passion that we have for the game, and our team. I might be guilty of wringing my hands a bit, but, i love the team, and i'm watching every game if i can...

How anyone could possibly NOT understand ^^^^^^ this is just beyond me. (and yet, some clearly miss it). A chat is totally different from the forum. Totally. A chat is fast moving, there are often 2-3-4 side conversations going on at one time......and popping in after the game to pass judgment on what YOU THINK YOU are reading is simply not going to bring you into context. It is indeed a bunch of Duke fans at a bar IN REAL TIME as things unfold - which is what I told my wife exactly.

A lot of remarks in are in a context of the moment, or sarcastic. ONE EXAMPLE: it's one thing to comment after the 23 point comeback against Louisville in the forum, but it's quite another to comment in chat as Louisville is building that lead, and when the lead is 23, and so on. People rail on TV Teddy and on Bilas and on Vitale and yes there's frustration when the team is 1-19 from 3 or when a certain player continues to turn the ball over and so on.....but most of the comments are fun, often funny, and in the moment.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2019, 10:22 PM
How anyone could possibly NOT understand ^^^^^^ this is just beyond me. (and yet, some clearly miss it). A chat is totally different from the forum. Totally. A chat is fast moving, there are often 2-3-4 side conversations going on at one time...and popping in after the game to pass judgment on what YOU THINK YOU are reading is simply not going to bring you into context. It is indeed a bunch of Duke fans at a bar IN REAL TIME as things unfold - which is what I told my wife exactly.

A lot of remarks in are in a context of the moment, or sarcastic. ONE EXAMPLE: it's one thing to comment after the 23 point comeback against Louisville in the forum, but it's quite another to comment in chat as Louisville is building that lead, and when the lead is 23, and so on. People rail on TV Teddy and on Bilas and on Vitale and yes there's frustration when the team is 1-19 from 3 or when a certain player continues to turn the ball over and so on....but most of the comments are fun, often funny, and in the moment.

I appreciate your perspective. I figured I was in the minority. I do love this community from A to Z(ion).

BandAlum83
03-18-2019, 10:29 PM
Every once in a while I go in oddly expecting things to be different, but alas, I always leave and swear off the chat room. Even games we are winning, the chat room isn't to my liking. Up by 16 and allow a 6-0 run and it's like the world is ending.

I don't ever look at in-game posts and never go back after the fact.

I like positivity in my life.

If the chat and in-game threads were shut down, I wouldn't miss them. Not saying they should be, but I'm just not interested.

Lord Ash
03-18-2019, 10:29 PM
I stay away from in game stuff, both because I feel that it distracts me from the game, but also because it’s simply too emotional. Kudos to the folks strong enough to be civil!

scottdude8
03-18-2019, 10:31 PM
I’ve found that there are a large number of posters who are very active in the in-game chats, and nowhere else. Those seem to be the ones posting a majority of the comments that (I fully agree with you all) add nothing to the conversation. I’m not sure what can be done about it beyond ignoring the obvious trolls and posters that have no sporks for an obvious reason, haha.

Devilwin
03-18-2019, 10:36 PM

My opinion.

I agree that sometimes we, including myself, go too far. We just get caught up in the moment, so to speak. Those of us that seem to be negative about the players and coaches, even the refs, love the team as much as the rest of you do. People have different personalities, and some are more vocal in their opinions. I'm willing to tone down my critique of the team, as long as others realize we live in the real world, which is not populated by unicorns, lollipops, and rainbows.
That being said..Go Duke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2019, 10:38 PM
I agree that sometimes we, including myself, go too far. We just get caught up in the moment, so to speak. Those of us that seem to be negative about the players and coaches, even the refs, love the team as much as the rest of you do. People have different personalities, and some are more vocal in their opinions. I'm willing to tone down my critique of the team, as long as others realize we live in the real world, which is not populated by unicorns, lollipops, and rainbows.
That being said..Go Duke!

Thanks for your perspective. Again, I am not trying to be the fan police. We all approach it in different ways, and our community here is amazing. And, we all root for the best dang basketball program there is. And, we have a great shot at more banners in the next few weeks!

OldPhiKap
03-18-2019, 10:44 PM
If I went to a bar to watch a game, and my friends did nothing but I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. and moan and run down our players, I’d find a different bar with a different group of friends.

Just sayin’.

Chat is different than posting, but that is not license to be a wanker.

Devilwin
03-18-2019, 10:48 PM
One more thing. I joined another ACC site, and was stunned at what they allow on their boards. I am a Viet Nam Era veteran of the USMC, and the profanity and infighting they allowed there almost (almost, mind you) made me blush..lol
So yeah, our mods do a nice job..

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2019, 10:52 PM
If I went to a bar to watch a game, and my friends did nothing but I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. and moan and run down our players, I’d find a different bar with a different group of friends.

Just sayin’.

Chat is different than posting, but that is not license to be a wanker.

With due respect, I totally reject your premise that the DBR chat is like that.

weezie
03-18-2019, 10:54 PM
Did you know that you earn a DBR merit badge once you're able to secret code ring the "I'm a real wanker for saying this" letters?:cool:

OldPhiKap
03-18-2019, 10:56 PM

Not everyone, not even the majority. But more than to my liking.

Reasonable minds can differ, of course. There are persistently negative folks who may be a minority, but who make it easy for me to just shut the chat off and go elsewhere.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2019, 10:57 PM
Did you know that you earn a DBR merit badge once you're able to secret code ring the "I'm a real wanker for saying this" letters?:cool:

Does it involve Ovaltine?

Devilwin
03-18-2019, 11:12 PM
Does it involve Ovaltine?
My God. That's the first "Ovaltine" blast I have heard in years. Did not know they still made it..lol

JetpackJesus
03-18-2019, 11:21 PM

Reasonable minds can differ, of course. There are persistently negative folks who may be a minority, but who make it easy for me to just shut the chat off and go elsewhere.
I think part of the problem is that while those individuals may be the minority in the chat, they often comment at a greater frequency--and about a comparatively small number of topics--than the rest of the room. I agree that there's more negativity in the chat than I would like, but I can tune most of it out, and Brevity usually brings enough levity to counterbalance it anyway. Also, I will note that I approve folks calling out refs for their wankery.

I will say that I greatly appreciate the chat's existence, especially because: (1) I am at the office during weekday games, so it's a nice to be able to pop in and out as I watch the game on my phone under my monitors and/or (2) none of my friends here are Duke fans, so it's the only way I can interact with fellow fans in real-time during the games I'm watching while not in the office.

uh_no
03-19-2019, 12:01 AM
i liken the chat room to being in a bar with like-minded fans...nay, JUST us dukie fans to be exact. If you read the chat rooms posts out loud, it's a bunch of fan-folks being armchair coaches/refs/players, and yes, we all get frustrated, depressed and down right angry during the game.

that's the passion that we have for the game, and our team. I might be guilty of wringing my hands a bit, but, i love the team, and i'm watching every game if i can...

everyone in cameron for games has that passion, but you wouldn't dare yell half the crap that comes out in the in game chat.

passion is not an excuse. If the people in the stadium can express that passion in a positive manner, so can everyone in the in game.

cato
03-19-2019, 12:13 AM
I appreciate your perspective. I figured I was in the minority. I do love this community from A to Z(ion).

I do not know about being in the minority. Each time I have tried chat, I’ve been quickly driven away by all the bellyaching.

I get that enough from my toddler.

KandG
03-19-2019, 02:34 AM
It's been said many times (including by me): game threads and especially chat are expressions of id on most sports forums. I see it in real life as well...two of the most mild-mannered friends I know turn into raving insulting lunatics during a Duke game (to the point where I no longer watch games with one of them). The same person working tirelessly to find solutions for better housing in impoverished communities thinks nothing of calling Bolden useless after fumbling a rebound.

DBR is not like most forums, which is why I enjoy it so much. But trying to regulate real-time reactions that dance on the line of negativity/outright abuse is a tricky thing, especially with a team with the kind of expectations Duke has every year. I generally don't bother with the game threads and chat for that reason.

I readily cop to being a hypocrite on this issue in that I enjoy going to rival fans' forums (not just UNC, but other fanbases in other sports from time to time) because it's cathartic to wallow in misery, though I'm old enough (and superstitious enough) to avoid overindulging in petty glee over misfortune.

bigperm13
03-19-2019, 03:24 AM
I'm not gonna dance around this and simply say they're both garbage and I automatically and immediately reject any opinion to the contrary. However, I've posted on a game chat twice in my DBR existence and am forever done with in-game threads after the game starts so, in essence, my opinion doesn't really matter. If one needs that kind of outlet to belittle and trash a team full of teenagers you claim to love and cherish, have at it. Kudos to you Mtn. for starting this thread.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-19-2019, 07:43 AM
I'm not gonna dance around this and simply say they're both garbage and I automatically and immediately reject any opinion to the contrary. However, I've posted on a game chat twice in my DBR existence and am forever done with in-game threads after the game starts so, in essence, my opinion doesn't really matter. If one needs that kind of outlet to belittle and trash a team full of teenagers you claim to love and cherish, have at it. Kudos to you Mtn. for starting this thread.

With due respect, what the hell chat have you been on? I've seen some frustrated and harsh comments, but I don't think I've ever seen any "belittling" or "trashing" going on, unless it's against announcers and/or referees....and half of that is in jest.

Some people's sense of humor bypass operations were way too successful.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-19-2019, 08:08 AM
I am frequently logged into the chat. A few observations:

I do not recall much in the way of player/team bashing.
There is a LOT of venting of frustration with bad plays.
There is even more venting with respect to the refs.
TV Teddy is all alone on Mt. Hatemost. (See what I did there? :cool:)
It’s funny, if not odd, to observe the wild mood swings during any one game.
It only takes 1 minute of bad play for the negativity meter to shoot into the red zone.
I think some people are conflating negativity with player/team bashing.
Negatvity sucks.
I often try to lighten the mood as able, but I’m a training camp rookie compared to Brevity.

TruBlu
03-19-2019, 08:59 AM
I never venture into DBR Chat for four reasons:

1) Initially, I didn’t know how.
2) I am really into watching the game, and feel it would be a distraction.
3) The reports of negativity make me hesitant to go there.
4) I still don’t know how.

Indoor66
03-19-2019, 09:00 AM

My opinion.

JB herding in that room is practice for herding cats.

weezie
03-19-2019, 09:34 AM
My God. That's the first "Ovaltine" blast I have heard in years. Did not know they still made it..lol

Actually, they do!

And see, right there is something that might get mentioned in chat.

moonpie23
03-19-2019, 09:40 AM
i don't know what bars and arenas everyone goes to, but i've been in cameron and plenty of other sports arenas and EVERY one of them has fans expressing negative feelings. When it's going well, it's going well, but when it's not, stating that "________player is killing us" when he misses his 7th three" is not uncommon, nor mean spirited.

if we didn't love the team, we wouldn't be in the chat....well, more than once. no one comes to hang out and just bash the team.....those folks are gone...

oh,

BENCH JAH.....

flyingdutchdevil
03-19-2019, 09:42 AM
i don't know what bars and arenas everyone goes to, but i've been in cameron and plenty of other sports arenas and EVERY one of them has fans expressing negative feelings. When it's going well, it's going well, but when it's not, stating that "________player is killing us" when he misses his 7th three" is not uncommon, nor mean spirited.

if we didn't love the team, we wouldn't be in the chat...well, more than once. no one comes to hang out and just bash the team....those folks are gone...

oh,

BENCH JAH....

You may want to comment in the other thread about using the word, "kill" ;)

toughbuff1
03-19-2019, 09:45 AM
I am frequently logged into the chat. A few observations:

I do not recall much in the way of player/team bashing.
There is a LOT of venting of frustration with bad plays.
There is even more venting with respect to the refs.
TV Teddy is all alone on Mt. Hatemost. (See what I did there? :cool:)
It’s funny, if not odd, to observe the wild mood swings during any one game.
It only takes 1 minute of bad play for the negativity meter to shoot into the red zone.
I think some people are conflating negativity with player/team bashing.
Negatvity sucks.
I often try to lighten the mood as able, but I’m a training camp rookie compared to Brevity.

Cam gets bashed constantly in chat by some "fans". It's embarrassing, frankly, but there are enough positive people that I can overlook that. Like Weezie said, halftime trivia makes it worth it (thanks Brevity)!

Reddevil
03-19-2019, 09:45 AM
I never venture into DBR Chat for four reasons:

1) Initially, I didn’t know how.
2) I am really into watching the game, and feel it would be a distraction.
3) The reports of negativity make me hesitant to go there.
4) I still don’t know how.

This made me laugh because I am in the same boat. Some people go to a game and observe. Others clap, cheer, and boo. Some stand up and yell things as though it matters to anyone. While amusing, I generally hate sitting near these people. A chat room is full of all of these types.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Cam gets bashed constantly in chat by some "fans". It's embarrassing, frankly, but there are enough positive people that I can overlook that. Like Weezie said, halftime trivia makes it worth it (thanks Brevity)!

I was unaware of the trivia that has been mentioned multiple times here. Will check it out!

Again, I wasn't attempting to nanny the chat or threads, just taking the temp of the forum in regards to each. I have learned a lot. Keep being an awesome community and Go Duke!

mapei
03-19-2019, 10:40 AM
I'm frequently in the game chat, usually during those times when I am otherwise watching a game alone. I pretty much love it the way it is. Everybody is rooting for the same team, and often both positive and negative reactions to what's going on get expressed, just like sports fans tend to do. No one means anything truly negative beyond spur-of-the-moment comments, and I really appreciate the opportunity to express them. There's also usually some person-to-person chatter that is cordial and fun. It's less formal than DBR otherwise can sometimes be, and for the limited purpose of watching games together, I appreciate that.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-19-2019, 10:59 AM
I'm frequently in the game chat, usually during those times when I am otherwise watching a game alone. I pretty much love it the way it is. Everybody is rooting for the same team, and often both positive and negative reactions to what's going on get expressed, just like sports fans tend to do. No one means anything truly negative beyond spur-of-the-moment comments, and I really appreciate the opportunity to express them. There's also usually some person-to-person chatter that is cordial and fun. It's less formal than DBR otherwise can sometimes be, and for the limited purpose of watching games together, I appreciate that.

Agree...I think it's moderated perfectly....for what it is....which is different from the main forum. I think everybody, or most everybody, who visits regularly enjoys it....and isn't that the point? And yeah, we all want the same thing...even if we might not agree with how to get there. That's what makes it interesting...and sometimes the comments are "spit out your vodka" funny. Sometimes Brevity just cracks me up. I always read the comments in bold purple.

gotoguy
03-19-2019, 11:09 AM

My sentiments exactly

ChillinDuke
03-19-2019, 11:21 AM
I do wonder if the Chat Room suffers from a bit of generational divide. Chat Rooms - a la AOL / AIM / messenger services - have a very different culture than Message Board, let alone this Board which is head and shoulders and chest above others in terms of decorum.

Chat Rooms, IMO but also from a ton of experience, are used in a much more fleeting, stream of consciousness way. Think: immediate, conversational reactions. Just like someone upthread said: armchair analysis, just like you were sitting at a bar watching a game with a friend.

Boards are much more "forever", at least this one is, where people try harder to think before they click submit.

While I understand the view that a Chat Room can seem overly negative, I think it's important for people to understand this important difference between the two mediums and understand that it is going to be very hard (really, impossible) to change the culture of how people interact with a Chat Room medium.

So perhaps the answer is twofold: (1) collectively try to not be quite so negative / reactionary and (2) understand that a Chat Room will almost certainly never be as well thought out or structured as a Message Board.

- Chillin

bigperm13
03-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Agree...I think it's moderated perfectly...for what it is...which is different from the main forum. I think everybody, or most everybody, who visits regularly enjoys it...and isn't that the point? And yeah, we all want the same thing...even if we might not agree with how to get there. That's what makes it interesting...and sometimes the comments are "spit out your vodka" funny. Sometimes Brevity just cracks me up. I always read the comments in bold purple.

You like the chat room, we all get it. That's fine, have at it. Like I said. We have different senses of humor. Also fine. People find different things funny. Saying some people don't have a sense of humor because they have a different opinion about a chat room on a basketball message board is asinine. PS - you don't need the chat room to find any Cam bashing, it's here in places on the main board.

NSDukeFan
03-19-2019, 12:40 PM
With due respect, what the hell chat have you been on? I've seen some frustrated and harsh comments, but I don't think I've ever seen any "belittling" or "trashing" going on, unless it's against announcers and/or referees...and half of that is in jest.

Some people's sense of humor bypass operations were way too successful.

I expect my oversensitivity and humour bypass operations may have been too successful as DBR chat (I have always enjoyed my limited participation in the crazietalk chat) and in-game threads are too negative for me and come down too hard on 18-22 year olds trying their best for me. This is all just fun and entertainment for me, so I prefer the board’s tone better. I end up recording and watching a lot of games when I can anyway. Unfortunately, it sounds I miss out on some of brevity’s great sense of humor (and I am sure I would enjoy many other posters views as well) but he provides entertainment on the forum as well. DBR has greatly increased my knowledge and enjoyment of Duke basketball and for that I am grateful to the many great posters on this board.

Dub
03-19-2019, 12:43 PM
Like many have already said, the in-game thread reeks negativity. As pointed out, there are the “usual suspects” that continually post negative banter. I’ve seen countless negative posts about Cam, RJ, Javin, Tre, etc. Heck, everyone with exception of “Zion our Savior” has been bashed.

It’s honestly sad since this is definitely one of the (IMO) more exciting one and done teams we’ve had. I just hope the “usual suspects” take some time to enjoy the guys while they’re here because come April, it’ll be all over and we’ll start from square 1 once again.

Steven43
03-19-2019, 12:44 PM
How anyone could possibly NOT understand ^^^^^^ this is just beyond me. (and yet, some clearly miss it). A chat is totally different from the forum. Totally. A chat is fast moving, there are often 2-3-4 side conversations going on at one time...and popping in after the game to pass judgment on what YOU THINK YOU are reading is simply not going to bring you into context. It is indeed a bunch of Duke fans at a bar IN REAL TIME as things unfold - which is what I told my wife exactly.

A lot of remarks in are in a context of the moment, or sarcastic. ONE EXAMPLE: it's one thing to comment after the 23 point comeback against Louisville in the forum, but it's quite another to comment in chat as Louisville is building that lead, and when the lead is 23, and so on. People rail on TV Teddy and on Bilas and on Vitale and yes there's frustration when the team is 1-19 from 3 or when a certain player continues to turn the ball over and so on....but most of the comments are fun, often funny, and in the moment.
If I could somehow agree greater than 100% I would.

rocketeli
03-19-2019, 12:50 PM
I have a friend whose a huge Steelers fan. Always wears steelers shirts, steeler hats, has bumperstickers on his car, the whole works. But I've given up watching Steelers games with him because he's also a huge font of negativity the whole game. Tomlin is a moron who can't coach, the offensive coordinator sucks, Rothliesberger (not going to look up how to spell it) is a talentless waste of space, etc, all interlarded with profanity. He keeps this up the entire game, without pause. Thank goodness he likes them, right?
Now he seems to derive a lot of pleasure from this activity, and thankfully, there are a lot of other TV sets in the world if I want to watch a Steelers game, so no harm done.
But, I think the issue here is, that there is only one DBR. I've also stopped checking out the in-game threads or chat over the past season or so, because there are more bashers (and people do bash players despite what some previous poster may think) and negative nancys who feel the need to share their most fleeting or inane thoughts with the world. I think most of us have already abandoned the chat to those people.
So whither DBR?

JNort
03-19-2019, 12:59 PM

My opinion.

I always pop in and out of the chat because I hate the bolded part. I think I've said here before that if I ever get mod status I would give temp bans to anyone complaining about refs and missed calls. It might be my biggest pet peeve in all sports.

Steven43
03-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Like many have already said, the in-game thread reeks negativity. As pointed out, there are the “usual suspects” that continually post negative banter. I’ve seen countless negative posts about Cam, RJ, Javin, Tre, etc. Heck, everyone with exception of “Zion our Savior” has been bashed.

It’s honestly sad since this is definitely one of the (IMO) more exciting one and done teams we’ve had. I just hope the “usual suspects” take some time to enjoy the guys while they’re here because come April, it’ll be all over and we’ll start from square 1 once again.

What’s with the “Zion our Savior” line? It comes off as kind of mocking or sarcastic. If the guy consistently makes great decisions with the ball, hardly misses a shot, doesn’t ballhog, doesn’t play hero ball, controls his dribble well, passes to open teammates, KNOWS HIS LIMITATIONS, plays team-first ball at all times, doesn’t commit silly charges, doesn’t keep shooting 3-pointer after 3-pointer if he isn’t shooting them well, plays stellar defense, and tries harder than anyone on the court, well, there really isn’t anything negative to be said. Okay, he certainly could improve his free throw-shooting a bit. But that has been pointed out many times about Zion.

If there were things to critique, posters would do so. That’s just being a fan — you point out the good, bad, and the ugly if you feel so inclined. And if the moderators want to slap a poster down, they will. I’m a bit surprised that so many posters seem to think what the board needs is MORE overt control over what posters say. It’s already the most controlled board in existence.

elvis14
03-19-2019, 04:18 PM

I don't get to participate in the chat very often because I watch so many games delayed and/or on the phone with a friend (yes, we synchronize our DVR's like geeks). When I do get to chat, I enjoy it and I don't feel that it's overly negative. I don't feel that discussing moves made or not made by the coaching staff to be negative or bashing. I do complain about the refs a good bit.

After reading this thread, I'll try and be more careful to not be overly negative in chat.

FerryFor50
03-19-2019, 04:34 PM
I don't go into chat as much anymore, mainly because the interface is kind of bad. Hard to read and refreshes poorly.

Plus, moonpie spoils the game by watching it from the future. :p

HereBeforeCoachK
03-19-2019, 04:49 PM

THIS ^^^^ is my only complaint with chat.....:cool:
With Hulu, I"m time warped behind him.....
I had another service that was even worse....I dropped it.

Devilwin
03-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Frankly, I find the "Cheating Bastards" blast in the title of a current thread more offensive than negativity in the heat of the moment on the Chat..Even though the people being addressed as such certainly deserve the moniker..lol:cool:

BeachBlueDevil
03-19-2019, 04:59 PM

I'm never in here for the chats as I do most of my forum damage from my phone.... But what you brought up, particularly the portion I've put in bold is rampant on the internet. Go join a Duke basketball group on Facebook..... I'm sure what is said in the chat here is tame compared to the trash on Facebook.

Now the unfortunate thing here is that this is a shift in society. It's too easy to get behind a screen and make remarks and call people names with basically zero repercussions.

wavedukefan70s
03-19-2019, 05:02 PM
Certain games I dont go in chat .I know me.i have on occasion threw out random stuff just to throw people's minds a bit to calm them down.

BandAlum83
03-19-2019, 07:02 PM
What’s with the “Zion our Savior” line? It comes off as kind of mocking or sarcastic. If the guy consistently makes great decisions with the ball, hardly misses a shot, doesn’t ballhog, doesn’t play hero ball, controls his dribble well, passes to open teammates, KNOWS HIS LIMITATIONS, plays team-first ball at all times, doesn’t commit silly charges, doesn’t keep shooting 3-pointer after 3-pointer if he isn’t shooting them well, plays stellar defense, and tries harder than anyone on the court, well, there really isn’t anything negative to be said. Okay, he certainly could improve his free throw-shooting a bit. But that has been pointed out many times about Zion.

If there were things to critique, posters would do so. That’s just being a fan — you point out the good, bad, and the ugly if you feel so inclined. And if the moderators want to slap a poster down, they will. I’m a bit surprised that so many posters seem to think what the board needs is MORE overt control over what posters say. It’s already the most controlled board in existence.

I never get negative or point out the ugly during a game. I try to stay as positive as possible and have stopped watching games with friends or family members who get negative. The time for negativity, IMO, is not during the game.

Geez, I watched and hoped for a turn-around during the 1990 championship game/debacle. I held out hope for as long as I could. Putting negative energy out into the universe is a superstitious thing for me I guess. I just won't do it.

That's why I don't go to the chat room.

Steven43
03-19-2019, 07:49 PM
I never get negative or point out the ugly during a game. I try to stay as positive as possible and have stopped watching games with friends or family members who get negative. The time for negativity, IMO, is not during the game.

Geez, I watched and hoped for a turn-around during the 1990 championship game/debacle. I held out hope for as long as I could. Putting negative energy out into the universe is a superstitious thing for me I guess. I just won't do it.

That's why I don't go to the chat room.

How do you feel during a game in Cameron Indoor when Coach K screams invective at a referee or LOUDLY curses in anger or angrily slaps his clipboard against his thigh or gets upset at one of his players? Those are all negative emotions with negative energy.

In fact, the primary emotion I have seen him most often display during games is negative in nature. How’s that for chat and in-game decorum? So you want DBR posters to be in-game chat room choir boys while our very own head coach is anything but? And by the way, I LOVE Coach K for all of this and more.

hsheffield
03-19-2019, 08:09 PM
I don't go into chat as much anymore, mainly because the interface is kind of bad. Hard to read and refreshes poorly.

yes, the moonpie connection to the future can be disconcerting. however, if I'm feeling anxious about how the game is going, a positive moon pie comment can help me settle down-so it's a two edged sword. I also appreciate moon pie's eerie ability to accurately predict we will win, even when the chips are down.

I've had a lot of issues with the interface this year: chat scrolls me up before the last comment every time it refreshes. consequently I frequently have to scroll back down to keep up. anyone else had this issue? I keep looking for a way to reset something but no luck so far.

Mtn Devil: brevity does trivia over halftime.

BandAlum83
03-19-2019, 08:10 PM
How do you feel during a game in Cameron Indoor when Coach K screams invective at a referee or LOUDLY curses in anger or angrily slaps his clipboard against his thigh or gets upset at one of his players? Those are all negative emotions with negative energy.

In fact, the primary emotion I have seen him most often display during games is negative in nature. How’s that for chat and in-game decorum? So you want DBR posters to be in-game chat room choir boys while our very own head coach is anything but? And by the way, I LOVE Coach K for all of this and more.

That’s his job. He motivates and works the refs and does what he needs to. My job is to cheer, support and to be positive.

Steven43
03-19-2019, 08:16 PM
That’s his job. He motivates and works the refs and does what he needs to. My job is to cheer, support and to be positive.

Okay, that’s perfectly fine. I respect that. But the point I was trying to make is that emotion is sometimes expressed negatively and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Devilwin
03-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Okay, that’s perfectly fine. I respect that. But the point I was trying to make is that emotion is sometimes expressed negatively and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

That's true. And if we run from the first negativity blast, I don't want you on my side in a war..

weezie
03-19-2019, 08:29 PM
I always pop in and out of the chat because I hate the bolded part. I think I've said here before that if I ever get mod status I would give temp bans to anyone complaining about refs and missed calls. It might be my biggest pet peeve in all sports.

Oh dear. Guess I'll give myself a time out in the meantime. Bad weezie.

Steven43
03-19-2019, 08:30 PM
I have no idea what you mean by that, but it can’t be something nice. So I guess you just made a negative point.

weezie
03-19-2019, 08:31 PM
I have no idea what you mean by that, but it can’t be something nice. So I guess you just made a negative point.

Lol, JNort thinks I complain too much about the refs. He's right, I'm not nice.

Steven43
03-19-2019, 08:58 PM
Lol, JNort thinks I complain too much about the refs. He's right, I'm not nice.

My apologies. My comment was intended for Devilwin, not you. Let me try again.

Steven43
03-19-2019, 08:59 PM
That's true. And if we run from the first negativity blast, I don't want you on my side in a war..

There, that’s better.

Phredd3
03-19-2019, 09:06 PM
I've had a lot of issues with the interface this year: chat scrolls me up before the last comment every time it refreshes. consequently I frequently have to scroll back down to keep up. anyone else had this issue? I keep looking for a way to reset something but no luck so far.

I had this issue using Mozilla on Windows. I have to switch to Google Chrome to use chat without the constant scrolling.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-19-2019, 09:16 PM

There, that’s better.

Unless I misread both posts, I believe DevilWin was agreeing with you.

Steven43
03-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Unless I misread both posts, I believe DevilWin was agreeing with you.

Hmmm. Maybe you’re right. I did preface my comment by saying I had no idea what Devilwin meant by his comment. Perhaps apologies are in order, Devilwin. But perhaps not. I just don’t know anymore. This DBR stuff is TOUGH.

Devilwin
03-19-2019, 09:24 PM
Hmmm. Maybe you’re right. I did preface my comment by saying I had no idea what Devilwin meant by his comment. Perhaps apologies are in order, Devilwin. But perhaps not. I just don’t know anymore. This DBR stuff is TOUGH.

I meant don't run from a bit of adversity.

BandAlum83
03-19-2019, 10:56 PM
I meant don't run from a bit of adversity.

I don’t run. I meet it head in with a positivity blast!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-19-2019, 11:02 PM

Actually, 'your job' as a fan is not necessarily 'the job' for all fans. Personalities are different, and I simply do not buy the superiority being claimed in this thread by those who never complain and find it unseemly. Sports are filled with emotion, and there is no such thing as positive emotion without there being negative emotions as well.

BandAlum83
03-19-2019, 11:07 PM
Actually, 'your job' as a fan is not necessarily 'the job' for all fans. Personalities are different, and I simply do not buy the superiority being claimed in this thread by those who never complain and find it unseemly. Sports are filled with emotion, and there is no such thing as positive emotion without there being negative emotions as well.

I did say it is “MY” job. Sure I get negative, but I generally don’t direct it at our players or coaching staff. I may say “that was a bad call,” but I don’t rail against the refs.

I’m not devoid of emotion by any stretch of the imagination. I watch with extreme intensity. I just don’t go toward the negative. It isn’t my personality.

Fot that reason, I tend not to watch with negative people. For this reason, after trying quite a few times, I choose not to go to the chat room during games.

Steven43
03-19-2019, 11:14 PM
Fot that reason, I tend not to watch with negative people. For this reason, after trying quite a few times, I choose not to go to the chat room during games.
Well after all this we might not let you in the chat room anymore even if you have a change of heart. ❤️

BandAlum83
03-19-2019, 11:20 PM
Well after all this we might not let you in the chat room anymore even if you want to come in.

Hah! Let me see you try!

Actually, when the game is going well is when I’ve tried. I want to go in an see the excitement, but invariably there will still be someone saying negative stuff at the first bad pass or missed shot if is deemed to be a bad shot. I’ll be like, “really? Complaints and we are up by 15?”

You want negative? I’ll give you negative emotion: “ I will be so pissed if Temple fouls their way to the over in the last 90 seconds against Belmont!!

ETA: OMG! The almost did! Down 11 with 88 seconds left, it turned into a foul-fest and 16 points were scored in the 88 seconds. They fell 4 points shy of what should have been a safe o/u and still lost by 11. That would have royally pissed me off!

JetpackJesus
03-19-2019, 11:23 PM
yes, the moonpie connection to the future can be disconcerting. however, if I'm feeling anxious about how the game is going, a positive moon pie comment can help me settle down-so it's a two edged sword. I also appreciate moon pie's eerie ability to accurately predict we will win, even when the chips are down.

Mtn Devil: brevity does trivia over halftime.
I have the opposite problem. If I try to scroll up to read something I had just missed, the chat page will jump back to the bottom before I have a chance to read it.

That’s his job. He motivates and works the refs and does what he needs to. My job is to cheer, support and to be positive. Lately, it seems there are at least a few people in the chat who would disagree with you that this happens.

Oh dear. Guess I'll give myself a time out in the meantime. Bad weezie.
I don't think you're one of the Negative Nancies/Debbie Downers in the chats that most people are discussing here. I am surprised to see you think you are so negative.

Neals384
03-19-2019, 11:27 PM
I do not know about being in the minority. Each time I have tried chat, I’ve been quickly driven away by all the bellyaching.

I get that enough from my toddler.

LOL!

if we didn't love the team, we wouldn't be in the chat...well, more than once. no one comes to hang out and just bash the team...those folks are gone...

oh,

BENCH JAH...

Those are some spoiled fans who go all negative over 7 missed 3s. That's a good day for this Duke team.:cool:

Do I detect a Biddy Basketball ref in disguise?

Right, but you may have noticed the assistant coaches are not also ranting and yelling. K's job is to motivate players and intimidate refs and opponents. Ranting and throwing his blazer are all part of his act.

KandG
03-19-2019, 11:41 PM

I didn't see any explicit claim or even implied feelings of "superiority" from the post that started this thread (or from most of the people commenting on the negativity they occasionally feel uncomfortable with).

In fact, I would be surprised if people expressing concern on this thread "never complain" -- far from it! It's just a question of what degree of real time complaining is fine on this forum.

I think just about everyone here feels quite strong emotions about the team, both positive and negative...otherwise, they wouldn't be posting on a forum with a large number of strangers. The question is to what degree those strong emotions, especially the spur of the moment negative ones with specific targets, should be expressed publicly with minimal moderation.

Reasonable people can, and have disagreed on what is appropriate in the game threads and chat -- specifically as it pertains to DBR -- on this thread. I've learned a lot about the level of comfort people have, both pro and con. It appears that the most common solution for people who are uncomfortable with the current level of negativity is to avoid chat and game threads.

There are many other internet forums for people to complain more loudly and explicitly about Duke basketball, and not just when games are being played. If negative emotions are your thing, this isn't the only place for them. DBR has never been the optimal place for unbridled venting, which is what spurred the original post.

Steven43
03-19-2019, 11:49 PM
I didn't see any explicit claim or even implied feelings of "superiority" from the post that started this thread (or from most of the people commenting on the negativity they occasionally feel uncomfortable with).

In fact, I would be surprised if people expressing concern on this thread "never complain" -- far from it! It's just a question of what degree of real time complaining is fine on this forum.

I think just about everyone here feels quite strong emotions about the team, both positive and negative...otherwise, they wouldn't be posting on a forum with a large number of strangers. The question is to what degree those strong emotions, especially the spur of the moment negative ones with specific targets, should be expressed publicly with minimal moderation.

Reasonable people can, and have disagreed on what is appropriate in the game threads and chat -- specifically as it pertains to DBR -- on this thread. I've learned a lot about the level of comfort people have, both pro and con. It appears that the most common solution for people who are uncomfortable with the current level of negativity is to avoid chat and game threads.

There are many other internet forums for people to complain more loudly and explicitly about Duke basketball, and not just when games are being played. If negative emotions are your thing, this isn't the only place for them. DBR has never been the optimal place for unbridled venting, which is what spurred the original post.
This is a really good post. Where the he## have you been??

duke96
03-20-2019, 12:20 AM
Man I really appreciate this forum but this thread seems to have become the embodiment of people with too much free time taking extra time to debate the parameters of how they choose to spend said free time. Very meta.

Feel free fire away at me, but really guys? Life is great when Duke basketball is a really enjoyable addition to a full complement of other interests!

JNort
03-20-2019, 03:16 AM
Do I detect a Biddy Basketball ref in disguise?

Lol not at all. I just find it annoying how much everyone complains about the calls or lack there of when in reality those complaining are wrong in the first place or have crazy standards. It's not a Duke thing but every single team in every sport and it's craazzzyyyyyy. I get a bad call happens every now and then and a complaint may be warranted but when nearly every call is disputed or every 3 mins someone says "another missed call" it's super irritating.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-20-2019, 06:00 AM
Man I really appreciate this forum but this thread seems to have become the embodiment of people with too much free time taking extra time to debate the parameters of how they choose to spend said free time. Very meta.

Feel free fire away at me, but really guys? Life is great when Duke basketball is a really enjoyable addition to a full complement of other interests!

A good friend and neighbor once said in a moment of clarity "Sports are great, because they give us an opportunity to care a lot about something that really doesn't matter."

People use sports fandom as an opportunity to find their sociological tribe of like minded people, a way to blow of steam, a way to feel pride, a way to express shared values. This board is simply an extension of that same purpose.

I am sure that for lots of us, in the "real world" there is very little that we share in common. We may live hundreds or thousands of miles apart, be of different political mindsets, and in vastly different income brackets. But, we all have an opinion of Bolden's development as a junion, Baker's redshirt, how likely Jones is to go in the draft, and whether Zion is the best athlete of a generation, or just the best basketball player of a generation.

I think another difference in how the forum and chat are used simply comes down to how people use the internet. I've always used the internet in a way similar to how I would interact with people in real life. I attempt (attempt, that is!) to be no more condescending, aggressive, or rude than I am if someone is standing in front of me and having a conversation. Other people really enjoy the anonymity of being online and use it to express their frustration more explicitly.

Sure, I know that through one thing and another there are probably enough breadcrumbs in my post history to sleuth your way to my identity in real life. Some folks are quite straight forward about presenting their names. Others quite understandably are more guarded.

At any rate - thanks to everyone who has replied and offered their thoughts. I will give the chat another walk through this week and I will try to be less Pollyannaish. :)

uh_no
03-20-2019, 10:16 AM

and yet here you are, using your free time to criticize how people spend their free time....

You don't have to spend too much time on places like reddit to see that the high quality of a board like this is not the natural state of things....without relatively involved moderation and meta-discussion, boards simply turn into cesspits of memes, and other low quality content (ironic given one of the top threads is about memes....).

TruBlu
03-20-2019, 02:54 PM
A lot of terping on here about people terping. And I just terped. A vicious cycle.

Phredd3
03-20-2019, 03:06 PM
A lot of terping on here about people terping. And I just terped. A vicious cycle.

There really shouldn't be any terping around here. They left the league a number of years ago. Did the door hit them on the way out? I don't recall....

HereBeforeCoachK
03-20-2019, 03:15 PM
There really shouldn't be any terping around here. They left the league a number of years ago. Did the door hit them on the way out? I don't recall...

..and the Terps were the second university 'SEC-ing" supposedly greener pastures elsewhere......so they left for football so their ACC instate rival could become the football power. Ironic. And now some Terps wonder if this was a B1G mistake.....

BandAlum83
03-20-2019, 05:42 PM

And here I thought it was twerping.

I must be old. I confuse terping and twerping and don't know what a "dank" meme is.

Wow.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-20-2019, 05:48 PM
And here I thought it was twerping.

I must be old. I confuse terping and twerping and don't know what a "dank" meme is.

Wow.

At least you aren't twerking - I'm not sure how people would feel about one doing that in the chat

BandAlum83
03-20-2019, 05:49 PM
At least you aren't twerking - I'm not sure how people would feel about one doing that in the chat

I do it on the daily via periscope.

Ha! I know what twerking and periscope are! (But I don't really do it on the daily)

weezie
03-20-2019, 07:48 PM

Dim view of that, I speak for all involved.