PDA

View Full Version : 2019 East Region Thread (Duke #1)

Pages : [1] 2

pfrduke
03-17-2019, 10:18 PM
Discuss and vote on the winner here.

roywhite
03-17-2019, 10:37 PM
If I read the crawl correctly, it looks like Duke's first game is at 7:10 PM (EDT) on Friday

The Battle for the Bull City?

DavidBenAkiva
03-17-2019, 10:50 PM
The committee didn't do Duke any favors in this bracket.

UCF is a potential second round team, along with their head coach Johnny Dawkins and the very tall Tacko Fall. I am probably too excited to see Zion matchup up against the 7'6" Fall.

Virginia Tech as a 4 seed, with Justin Robinson cleared to return to play, looms as a potential Sweet 16 mathcup, should both teams make it that far. This presents a chance for Duke to exact revenge against an opponent, which would be nice. And Robinson has missed a lot of time and would be matched up with Tre Jones. The biggest difference in this game would be the presence of Zion against Kerry Blackshear in the paint. Duke wasn't able to counter Blackshear in the first matchup, but you have to think that Zion would change the equation in the paint quite a bit. Still, VA Tech is not a slouch of a team and could shoot its way to a win against nearly any team in a single game. Of all the teams in this bracket, this one gives me the most concern.

On the other half of the bracket, Michigan State is a very good 2 seed and had an argument to be a 1 seed after winning a share of the regular season record in the B1G regular season and then winning the B1G Tournament. They might play Louisville in the second round, a team that absolutely destroyed Michigan State earlier in the season. And MSU has had some notable early round exits of late. I might have to think about that U of L/MSU matchup more.

Also in that half of the bracket, Maryland is a 6 seed that could loom as a "home" team playing in DC. How much would Maryland fans love to see a rematch with Duke in the Elite 8?

LSU is also a good team as a 3 seed, although the whole situation with their head coach Will Wade and the recruiting scandal makes you wonder just how focused that team will be in the NCAA Tournament.

gofurman
03-17-2019, 10:53 PM
not to get too far ahead no jinx...

would you rather us play vcu or ucf?

subzero02
03-17-2019, 10:55 PM

UCF is a potential second round team, along with their head coach Johnny Dawkins and the very tall Tacko Fall. I am probably too excited to see Zion matchup up against the 7'6" Fall.

Virginia Tech as a 4 seed, with Justin Robinson cleared to return to play, looms as a potential Sweet 16 mathcup, should both teams make it that far. This presents a chance for Duke to exact revenge against an opponent, which would be nice. And Robinson has missed a lot of time and would be matched up with Tre Jones. The biggest difference in this game would be the presence of Zion against Kerry Blackshear in the paint. Duke wasn't able to counter Blackshear in the first matchup, but you have to think that Zion would change the equation in the paint quite a bit. Still, VA Tech is not a slouch of a team and could shoot its way to a win against nearly any team in a single game. Of all the teams in this bracket, this one gives me the most concern.

On the other half of the bracket, Michigan State is a very good 2 seed and had an argument to be a 1 seed after winning a share of the regular season record in the B1G regular season and then winning the B1G Tournament. They might play Louisville in the second round, a team that absolutely destroyed Michigan State earlier in the season. And MSU has had some notable early round exits of late. I might have to think about that U of L/MSU matchup more.

Also in that half of the bracket, Maryland is a 6 seed that could loom as a "home" team playing in DC. How much would Maryland fans love to see a rematch with Duke in the Elite 8?

LSU is also a good team as a 3 seed, although the whole situation with their head coach Will Wade and the recruiting scandal makes you wonder just how focused that team will be in the NCAA Tournament.

our Justin Robinson >>> their Justin Robinson

84Duke
03-17-2019, 11:03 PM
Anybody else think Virginia Tech announced the impending return of Justin Robinson to try and improve their tournament seeding? Taking advantage of the NCAA factoring in returns from injury by key players?

dukelion
03-17-2019, 11:08 PM

I'll go with VCU.....they shoot the 3 ball almost worse than we do so not too much of a risk of them going off for a game of their lives.

Conversely....UCF has two really good guards that definitely can go off almost any night. Add in Tacko and we might struggle scoring inside if he avoids foul trouble.....also add in Dawkins and UCF scares me quite a bit.

roywhite
03-17-2019, 11:17 PM
One of the things I like best about this Duke team's tournament chances is the lack of reliance on good 3-point shooting to win games. In previous years, we were terrified of what would happen (and sometimes did) if we were not hitting our 3-point shots.

Now? It's not ideal, but it's not a catastrophe if we go 1-10 from 3-points in the first half, for example. This team scores in the paint, defends well, blocks shots, generates considerable offense from it's defense, and rebounds well. Those are traits that lessen the dependence on hot shooting.

Shoot well from 3? Great; good luck trying to beat Duke in that case. Shoot poorly from 3? Duke will win in other ways.

duketaylor
03-17-2019, 11:18 PM
If we can survive the 1st weekend I'll likely b in DC for the next weekend. Should b getting 4 tix from Dr. Feelgood. Will ask him tomorrow as I still have to pay for ACC tix I got from him. Worked today/tonite, just now getting to digest the brackets. Watch Jay and Jason now as I post.

Rich
03-17-2019, 11:25 PM

I try not to look too far ahead so I'm not even thinking about the bottom half of the bracket. It's just too likely we have no idea who'll be playing in the Sweet 16. But as I've said, I generally prefer to play a team that is not familiar with our system so VT concerns me, particularly because I have respect for Buzz Williams (when he's not on the court) and a hot three point shooting team is the one thing that could negate our strength in the paint.

That being said, they haven't seen Zion in person, RJ had a stomach bug when we played them, and Blacksburg has been a nightmare for us over the years. Another point, which I haven't seen mentioned, is that it's not going to be that easy for them to just re-integrate their point guard. He's a great talent but we have first hand experience with Kyrie that trying to do that come tourney time is really difficult.

AtlBluRew
03-18-2019, 12:25 AM
One of the things I like best about this Duke team's tournament chances is the lack of reliance on good 3-point shooting to win games. In previous years, we were terrified of what would happen (and sometimes did) if we were not hitting our 3-point shots.

Now? It's not ideal, but it's not a catastrophe if we go 1-10 from 3-points in the first half, for example. This team scores in the paint, defends well, blocks shots, generates considerable offense from it's defense, and rebounds well. Those are traits that lessen the dependence on hot shooting.

Shoot well from 3? Great; good luck trying to beat Duke in that case. Shoot poorly from 3? Duke will win in other ways.

I’ll echo with a twist: one of the things I like best is that the team generally doesn’t resort to jacking up 3s indiscriminately. I can think of only one game this year when I was really frustrated that no one was looking for a 2, and that has been a regular frustration in prior years.

ndkjr70
03-18-2019, 12:40 AM
As with every year we’re a 1-seed, I immediately check to see who our 2 and our 4 is. It feels rare to me that we ever get one of those lucky years where we play a double digit seed in the E8 (I know we didn’t in 2010 and I’m almost positive we were chalk in 2015).

So, the 2 seed is a should-be one seed. Less than ideal. And the 4-seed is KenPom’s strongest 4, lesser than ideal.

I think it’s pretty obvious UVA has the cleanest road to the final four; Tennessee doesn’t impress me and I don’t think Grant Williams will be able to flop his way through non-SEC-officiated games. The UVA/Wisconsin game will be a blast to watch if it happens; first to 40 wins.

I’m happy that UNC seems to be in the toughest overall bracket. But that’s a different thread.

duke2x
03-18-2019, 01:04 AM
As with every year we’re a 1-seed, I immediately check to see who our 2 and our 4 is. It feels rare to me that we ever get one of those lucky years where we play a double digit seed in the E8 (I know we didn’t in 2010 and I’m almost positive we were chalk in 2015).

So, the 2 seed is a should-be one seed. Less than ideal. And the 4-seed is KenPom’s strongest 4, lesser than ideal.

We weren't close to chalk in 1999. We played #12 Steve Alford's SW MO State and #6 Temple. We didn't need it.
We didn't have chalk in 2001. We played #4 UCLA (chalk) and #6 USC in Philly.

VT scares me a lot. It's a hidden road game (Duke-IN 2002), and they are very confident because they beat us without their best player. It could help or be a Kyrie return for them.

LSU plays everybody to the last possession. They could easily be a NIT team or a #1 seed. I don't think they will make the Elite 8 unless their coach is reinstated. MD is another hidden road game, but they seem more like the Bengals under Marvin Lewis trying to get to the Superbowl. Belmont might win that pod actually.

If we can beat VT, I like the odds of making the Final 4. I'm not sold on MSU being better than KY, and I would rather play them than MI's 1-3-1 (if they still use it) on short rest.

brevity
03-18-2019, 02:33 AM
Fun fact! Of the top 16 teams in this tournament (the top 4 seeds in each region), only two won their conference tournament: Duke and Michigan State. I'm not complaining about this 2 seed, mind you, but the Selection Committee's choice to reward the overall #1 seed with the ONLY OTHER power conference tournament champion in the top 16 is bizarre and nonsensical. If you're wondering, the next automatic bid in this region is 12 seed Liberty.

Dukehk
03-18-2019, 03:52 AM
Anybody else think Virginia Tech announced the impending return of Justin Robinson to try and improve their tournament seeding? Taking advantage of the NCAA factoring in returns from injury by key players?

If they did, it sure as heck didn't work out too well for them! The committee seems to have ignored it completely.

Which then leads on to the next question as to whether robinson is really ready to play at 100%?

proelitedota
03-18-2019, 04:03 AM
UCF is massive. :eek:

If we advanced past our first round opponent, it'll be interesting to see how Zion fares against trees.

subzero02
03-18-2019, 05:11 AM

If we advanced past our first round opponent, it'll be interesting to see how Zion fares against trees.

UCF is a 1 to 1.5 point underdog to VCU right now; we will see what is in store for us.

gocanes0506
03-18-2019, 07:34 AM
I understand that VT knows us but they are the 2nd 4th seed I would want to play. The first one is K State. K State is playing well this year but they haven't seen Duke before. I'd want to stay away from FSU and Kansas.

UCF looks hard based on their record but their OOC schedule is mediocre. Their best OOC games were St Joes, Bama, and Missouri. They lost to Mizzou in overtime. They did beat Houston and Cincy but also lost to them. The AAC wasn't very good this year.

In the end, Duke has to make 3s. I bet we see every team sagging the defense. They should play the FSU style defense. As long as opposing teams don't play FSU offense from the 2nd half and missed everything, the game should be close. If Duke makes 30-40% of their threes then they should win easily.

slower
03-18-2019, 07:48 AM

Zion is a tree made of rock. Regular trees make paper. However, in this case, rock > paper.

uh_no
03-18-2019, 08:25 AM

afaik, committee only really considers players for seeding if they've already returned and demonstrated to be back to their prior level.

Given VT is KP 11, having them at the 4 line is not out of line...and so if they were trying to game anything, they failed exceptionally at it.

curtis325
03-18-2019, 09:06 AM
I understand that VT knows us but they are the 2nd 4th seed I would want to play. The first one is K State. K State is playing well this year but they haven't seen Duke before. I'd want to stay away from FSU and Kansas.

UCF looks hard based on their record but their OOC schedule is mediocre. Their best OOC games were St Joes, Bama, and Missouri. They lost to Mizzou in overtime. They did beat Houston and Cincy but also lost to them. The AAC wasn't very good this year.

In the end, Duke has to make 3s. I bet we see every team sagging the defense. They should play the FSU style defense. As long as opposing teams don't play FSU offense from the 2nd half and missed everything, the game should be close. If Duke makes 30-40% of their threes then they should win easily.

Pretty much the whole season negates the bolded take.

I hope Duke shoots lights-out from 3, but they don't have to do that to win.

ChrisP
03-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Not to get too far ahead of things here, but I'm not super worried about either VCU or UCF as a potential second round matchup. Probably a tad more concerned about UCF though just given the familiarity factor with Johnny D as the coach. I haven't seen it mentioned - and was totally unaware myself until this morning - that Johnny's son, Aubrey starts (and is really good) for UCF. He had 36 points and 11 rebs (yikes!) in their final regular season loss at Temple. But everyone's supposed boogeyman, Tacko Fall had 2 pts, 5 rebs, 4 fouls and ZERO blocks in that game. In UCF's tourney loss to non-dancing Memphis, Dawkins only scored 7pts and Tacko had 12 and 10 boards to go along with 4 blocks.

I respect every opponent - as should the team - but I believe we can certainly make it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney even without Bolden and then hope like heck to get him back for the Sweet 16 (and, hopefully, beyond)

roywhite
03-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Not to get too far ahead of things here, but I'm not super worried about either VCU or UCF as a potential second round matchup. Probably a tad more concerned about UCF though just given the familiarity factor with Johnny D as the coach. I haven't seen it mentioned - and was totally unaware myself until this morning - that Johnny's son, Aubrey starts (and is really good) for UCF. He had 36 points and 11 rebs (yikes!) in their final regular season loss at Temple. But everyone's supposed boogeyman, Tacko Fall had 2 pts, 5 rebs, 4 fouls and ZERO blocks in that game. In UCF's tourney loss to non-dancing Memphis, Dawkins only scored 7pts and Tacko had 12 and 10 boards to go along with 4 blocks.

I respect every opponent - as should the team - but I believe we can certainly make it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney even without Bolden and then hope like heck to get him back for the Sweet 16 (and, hopefully, beyond)

Yeah, Aubrey is a good player. Good shooter, esp. from 3. He's not a young guy; turns 24 this May and still has a year of eligibility left. Started at Michigan and transferred to UCF after 2 years when Johnny got the job.

Preview of UCF from the Duke Chronicle
https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/03/2019-ncaa-tournament-preview-central-florida

wsb3
03-18-2019, 09:39 AM
I understand the concerns about Va Tech & I would rather not play anyone from our conference but I am not assuming that they will be there for a possible match up with us.

gocanes0506
03-18-2019, 09:43 AM
Pretty much the whole season negates the bolded take.

I hope Duke shoots lights-out from 3, but they don't have to do that to win.

I understand that point. In a single elimination tournament, Duke will need to be firing on all cylinders. The defense and paint scoring carries the team. VT, Michigan St, and LSU will be hard to get by without shooting better than 2 for 14 like Saturday.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2019, 09:44 AM
I understand the concerns about Va Tech & I would rather not play anyone from our conference but I am not assuming that they will be there for a possible match up with us.

Agreed. It is difficult to reintegrate a player who has been out for seven or so weeks right at the end. The team he is rejoining is not the team he left; they have evolved and improved.

Plus, they have not seen Zion in person. I get the feeling that there is a stark difference between knowing how fast/strong he is and actually trying to do something about it.

And I want nothing to do with another FSU match. So if we had to draw one of them, it's hard for me to complain too much.

simplyluvin
03-18-2019, 09:54 AM
Like many posters here, I am not happy with MSU as the #2 in our region, but the silver lining to me is I'd rather have MSU than Tennessee or UK. Would rather see the latter two in the FF.

Absolutely not thrilled like others about VTech as a potential (likely) Sweet Sixteen matchup with the return of their JRob and two games under their belt to acclimate him back. VTech played FSU strong in the ACCT without Robinson.

LSU is a team with a lot of question marks and is mired in scandal, but they are a really good team and Tremont Waters is one of those guards that can go off in the tourney a la Kemba. Not to be overlooked.

Duke31122
03-18-2019, 09:55 AM
I can get where the VT fear is coming from, but honestly I’m not worried about them. In the end we got a good draw. Also I take a healthy Duke team over anyone.

In the end if we do play VT in the Sweet 16, it’ll be a neutral game with a healthy Zion and a healthy RJ. Yes VT is not far away from DC, but I have a good feeling there will be plenty more Duke fans in the crowd in DC than were in the crowd at Blacksburg.

Plus I’d rather play VT who we’ve seen once than Florida State, a Big 12 champion Kansas State, or Kansas. Yes Kansas had a bad year, but there is still a ton of talent there.

At the end of the day we drew a favorable 3 seed since it looks like LSU is in the middle of a mess with their head coach and a favorable 5 seed as well.

Michigan State is a good team, and they could’ve been a one. At that point you’re playing a good team anyways or a team that is hot. I feel like Duke matches up better with them than a Tennessee or a Michigan team who has talent and played for the title last year.

I like our draw, a lot of other teams have more to be upset about. I love this team and I’ll take them over anyone. Good luck to all of the other teams and let’s go Duke!

Billy Dat
03-18-2019, 10:43 AM
Fun fact! Of the top 16 teams in this tournament (the top 4 seeds in each region), only two won their conference tournament: Duke and Michigan State. I'm not complaining about this 2 seed, mind you, but the Selection Committee's choice to reward the overall #1 seed with the ONLY OTHER power conference tournament champion in the top 16 is bizarre and nonsensical. If you're wondering, the next automatic bid in this region is 12 seed Liberty.

What I find bizarre is how the narrative around Sparty being put into our bracket is how unfair it is to THEM. As the #1 overall seed, shouldn't we be getting some sympathy for being "rewarded" with the highest ranked 2 seed? Granted, we always seem to beat them (save for 2005)

CDu
03-18-2019, 10:47 AM
I understand that point. In a single elimination tournament, Duke will need to be firing on all cylinders. The defense and paint scoring carries the team. VT, Michigan St, and LSU will be hard to get by without shooting better than 2 for 14 like Saturday.

A few counterpoints:
1. We'd only have to face, at most, one of MSU and LSU.
2. We just comfortably beat a team, without our starting center, that is better than LSU and comparable defensively to MSU despite shooting 2-14 from 3.
3. We just beat a #1 seed, without our starting center, despite shooting 5-20 from 3
4. We beat another #1 seed earlier this year, without our PG, despite shooting 2-14 from 3.

We don't HAVE to make 3s to win the tournament. Would hitting 3s at a high percentage make life easier? Absolutely. But it is not a requirement for this year's team.

FerryFor50
03-18-2019, 10:51 AM
A few counterpoints:
2. We just comfortably beat a team, without our starting center, that is better than LSU and comparable defensively to MSU despite shooting 2-14 from 3.
3. We just beat a #1 seed, without our starting center, despite shooting 5-20 from 3
4. We beat another #1 seed earlier this year, without our PG, despite shooting 2-14 from 3.

We don't HAVE to make 3s to win the tournament. Would hitting 3s at a high percentage make life easier? Absolutely. But it is not a requirement for this year's team.

I think the only reason Duke would need to hit threes is if one of RJ or Zion gets saddled with foul trouble early.

fan345678
03-18-2019, 11:10 AM
In the end if we do play VT in the Sweet 16, it’ll be a neutral game with a healthy Zion and a healthy RJ. Yes VT is not far away from DC, but I have a good feeling there will be plenty more Duke fans in the crowd in DC than were in the crowd at Blacksburg.

DC is VT's largest alumni base, but yes, much different than playing them in Blacksburg.

JayZee
03-18-2019, 11:11 AM
A few counterpoints:

Exactly (about the 3s) - somewhat due to our D, but mostly that we shoot 58% from 2 (ZION!) which is 4th in the country, bringing our effective FG% to 53.4, which is higher than UNCs (though barely)

CameronBornAndBred
03-18-2019, 11:17 AM
I like our bracket, a lot. My only question is what's up with having three ACC teams in our region? UVA and Cheaterlina don't have any ACC teams joining them in theirs, while Syracuse and FSU not only end up in the same region, they end up on the same side of the region.
I love having 7 ACC reps, but with the way we are all slotted, not many will be hanging around that long. A more even distribution would have been nice.

TeacherTom
03-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Would anyone possibly have a tip about parking for Columbia on Friday? It is our spring break and I got lucky in that it’s on the way home to Fl. from Asheville where I spent the week. I can’t find a parking pass. Thanks!

pfrduke
03-18-2019, 11:49 AM
First round schedule/Kenpom odds for the East:

Tuesday
[54]Belmont (-3) vs. [76]Temple (9:10, TruTV)

Wednesday
[199]North Dakota State (-5) vs. [303]North Carolina Central (6:40, TruTV)

Thursday
[17]Louisville (-5) vs. [47]Minnesota (12:15, CBS)
[18]LSU (-9) vs. [82]Yale (12:40, TruTV)
[4]Michigan State (-21) vs. [165]Bradley (2:45, CBS)
[24]Maryland vs. TBS (3:10, TruTV)

Friday
[3]Duke vs. TBD (7:10, CBS)
[21]Mississippi State (-6) vs. [63]Liberty (7:27, TruTV)
[37]VCU (-1) vs. [46]Central Florida (9:40, CBS)
[11]Virginia Tech (-11) vs. [104]St. Louis (9:57, TruTV)

duke2x
03-18-2019, 12:19 PM
DC is VT's largest alumni base, but yes, much different than playing them in Blacksburg.

VT fans don't drive to Blacksburg from DC for basketball, particularly weeknight games. It's 4 hours each way per Google. They are much more likely to go 1 hour in town for the NCAA tournament. I agree Duke is the better team and should win. We haven't lost a road or semi-road game with Zion.

Reddevil
03-18-2019, 12:22 PM

VCU - I am still pissed at 2007 (and I went to VCU!)

Also, I think UCF is more dangerous, and Dawkins is there. I wish they had been placed in the South.

House G
03-18-2019, 12:23 PM
A few counterpoints:

I’m not sure Florida St is better than LSU. When they played on a “neutral” court in Florida in November, Fla St was down by 9 late and came back and won in OT. And like Duke, some of LSUs best players are freshmen, so they’ve gotten better as the season has gone on. I worry more about the talent/athleticism of LSU and their potential to make a deep run. Granted, they are playing without their coach, but I’m pretty sure they will have a “nothing to lose” approach.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2019, 12:25 PM
Would anyone possibly have a tip about parking for Columbia on Friday? It is our spring break and I got lucky in that it’s on the way home to Fl. from Asheville where I spent the week. I can’t find a parking pass. Thanks!

You spent a week in Asheville - that's the lucky part!

BandAlum83
03-18-2019, 12:29 PM

I would describe them as tall, not massive.

Zion is massive.

CDu
03-18-2019, 12:30 PM
I’m not sure Florida St is better than LSU. When they played on a “neutral” court in Florida in November, Fla St was down by 9 late and came back and won in OT. And like Duke, some of LSUs best players are freshmen, so they’ve gotten better as the season has gone on. I worry more about the talent/athleticism of LSU and their potential to make a deep run. Granted, they are playing without their coach, but I’m pretty sure they will have a “nothing to lose” approach.

FSU has played better than LSU this season per KenPom and TRank. So I would suggest that FSU is at least equal, and probably better. They surely aren’t discernibly worse than LSU. And they are FAR better defensively than LSU.

I would also note that FSU was playing without Phil Cofer in that game, to go along with your notes that (a) FSU won and (b) LSU won’t have its coach.

And again, us facing LSU would mean that we would be in the Elite-8 and that we wouldn’t be facing MSU.

duke2x
03-18-2019, 12:34 PM

Per the Colonial Life website, there are no passes. There are a lot of garages around the arena. It sounds a lot like Charlotte's Spectrum (nee Time-Warner) or Greenville's Bon Secours arenas. I would just get there early. Parkopedia says a lot of them are a 20-30 minute walk.

UrinalCake
03-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Nick Ward - I see that he is back for MSU, but is he playing at his previous level? He strikes me as one of the few players in college who could physically stand up to Zion.

Also, how big a deal is that bench guard that got hurt for MSU?

CDu
03-18-2019, 12:49 PM
Nick Ward - I see that he is back for MSU, but is he playing at his previous level? He strikes me as one of the few players in college who could physically stand up to Zion.

Well, Langford wasn’t a bench guard. He was a starter averaging 15 oof. But he missed most of the conference season and all of the tourney, so their resume was largely built without him.

As for Ward, he is bulky enough to compete with Zion, but not nearly mobile enough to stay in front of Zion.

UrinalCake
03-18-2019, 12:55 PM
Well, Langford wasn’t a bench guard. He was a starter averaging 15 oof. But he missed most of the conference season and all of the tourney, so their resume was largely built without him.

Sorry, I was referring to Kyle Ahrens who got hurt in the B10 final.

Also, that was an excellent autocorrect. Zion is going to cause more than 15 “oofs” to be spewed by our opponents 8-)

flyingdutchdevil
03-18-2019, 12:57 PM
FSU has played better than LSU this season per KenPom and TRank. So I would suggest that FSU is at least equal, and probably better. They surely aren’t discernibly worse than LSU. And they are FAR better defensively than LSU.

I would also note that FSU was playing without Phil Cofer in that game, to go along with your notes that (a) FSU won and (b) LSU won’t have its coach.

And again, us facing LSU would mean that we would be in the Elite-8 and that we wouldn’t be facing MSU.

This cannot be overstated. LSU DOESN'T HAVE A COACH!!!!! They may win against bunnies, but against legitimate, Power 5 teams with high seeding, I can't see them winning.

MChambers
03-18-2019, 01:02 PM

Ward is not yet back at his previous level, but his replacement, Tillman, is very good.

Ahrens was already suffering back problems before he hurt his ankle, so he wasn't playing at a high level. But MSU is pretty thin on the perimeter. When they lost at L'ville, Winston got in foul trouble and even fouled out. If that happens again, MSU is in big trouble.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2019, 01:05 PM
This cannot be overstated. LSU DOESN'T HAVE A COACH!!!!! They may win against bunnies, but against legitimate, Power 5 teams with high seeding, I can't see them winning.

Interim Coach Tony Benford has been in coaching since 1992, so it's not like they are without someone at the helm.

CDu
03-18-2019, 01:16 PM
Sorry, I was referring to Kyle Ahrens who got hurt in the B10 final.

Also, that was an excellent autocorrect. Zion is going to cause more than 15 “oofs” to be spewed by our opponents 8-)

Haha, yeah, I meant PPG. But the autocorrect is much funnier.

As for Ahrens, I think the impact would be that they just aren't terribly deep. They have just 6 guys left from their rotation back in December. And 3 of them are bigs (Ward, Goins, and Tillman). They will probably bring someone like freshman Gabe Brown (RSCI #100 in 2018) or freshman Foster Loyer (#77 in 2018) into the main rotation now. But it's a pretty short rotation they'll be playing.

Basically, MSU is entirely reliant on one player (Winston). If he's out, they are pretty bad. If he's on the floor, they stand a fighting chance against anyone. Everyone else on the perimeter is a role player who looks to feed off whatever Winston can create. It's a pretty limited offensive team that happens to have a wizard for a playmaker.

sagegrouse
03-18-2019, 01:23 PM

If you're spending the night, why don't you just Uber it or Lyft it from your hotel or other attraction? (Don't ask me, I grew up in Charleston, and I can't think of anything I'd want to see there ;)).

rocketeli
03-18-2019, 01:54 PM
If you're spending the night, why don't you just Uber it or Lyft it from your hotel or other attraction? (Don't ask me, I grew up in Charleston, and I can't think of anything I'd want to see there ;)).

Just don't make a mistake and go to Columbus instead. Truly nothing you'd want to see there.

BandAlum83
03-18-2019, 01:57 PM
Haha, yeah, I meant PPG. But the autocorrect is much funnier.

As for Ahrens, I think the impact would be that they just aren't terribly deep. They have just 6 guys left from their rotation back in December. And 3 of them are bigs (Ward, Goins, and Tillman). They will probably bring someone like freshman Gabe Brown (RSCI #100 in 2018) or freshman Foster Loyer (#77 in 2018) into the main rotation now. But it's a pretty short rotation they'll be playing.

Basically, MSU is entirely reliant on one player (Winston). If he's out, they are pretty bad. If he's on the floor, they stand a fighting chance against anyone. Everyone else on the perimeter is a role player who looks to feed off whatever Winston can create. It's a pretty limited offensive team that happens to have a wizard for a playmaker.

So Duke would only need Tre/Jordan/Cam to focus on one high usage player and dare the other four on the floor to beat our other defensive monsters?

I'll take that.

devildeac
03-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Just don't make a mistake and go to Columbus instead. Truly nothing you'd want to see there.

Paging Mike Corey...

;)

OldPhiKap
03-18-2019, 02:07 PM

I'm just glad we're not in de Annapolis region.

KandG
03-18-2019, 02:29 PM

I think most of the comments rationally evaluating LSU's prospects are good, and they've indeed got a lot of noise surrounding them now. Nevertheless, they scare me more than anyone in our region (probably irrationally) simply because their upside with Waters and Reid in a one-game scenario is so high...even if it's unlikely they ever hit it.

I admit to being influenced irrationally in this way by LSU's victory at Rupp, which was very impressive. Many talented, flaky teams in sports seem to get their act together when motivated by an opponent as heavily favored and hyped as we are.

All that said, I agree with most that we're still more likely to see MSU than LSU, and that Virginia Tech may yet be the toughest game we face in this region.

ChillinDuke
03-18-2019, 02:34 PM
As a general note (and an annual tradition), I find it amusing (in a genial way, not in a condescending way) how people over-parse the storylines as to how "scary" or "bad a matchup" certain hypothetical teams are for Duke or how "Duke got shafted" in some way. I'm fine with it because it's what makes the Tourney so fun and what makes the general public so interested as the storylines can more or less be created to suit any matchup in any round at any time.

In practicality, I find the focus on MSU and Duke being in the same region to be totally ridiculous. First of all, we're an incredibly large amount of games away from that hypothetical matchup to be truly peeved by it. Second of all, the remaining #2 seeds are Michigan, Kentucky, and Tennessee - does anyone really want another one of those teams over MSU? Certainly not UK, I imagine. It's the NCAAT, at some point we're going to have to earn it and beat someone. They can't all be NC Central and/or North Dakota State. So the focus (in the media and by a few on the Board) on this Duke/MSU pairing seems silly to me and more meant to drum up conversation since the bubble debate isn't as loud this year.

Further to my general point, when we hit the Tourney Season(s), I find it most helpful to focus only on our 4-team pod and potentially on our 8-team pod location insofar as are there other teams looming in our pod that can skew the fanbase (read: UNC). From those perspectives I don't see any reason whatsoever to be upset, scared, or feel any negative emotion whatsoever to our immediate draw. We play a play-in winner that can be no better than KP #199 (and NCCU is worse than 300!). Our 2nd round matchups are either against #37 or #46, either of which would be ranked tenth if they were in the ACC, worse than both Clemson and NC State, neither of whom made the Tourney and worse than Syracuse who we just beat only a few days ago by 12 pts. While Johnny Dawkins is an uncomfortable coincidence, he's already been fired at one school since leaving Duke and hasn't exactly worked UCF into a juggernaut [yet] (23-8, 13-6). Tacko Fall is an interesting storyline as one of the only players that Zion could face this year that actually weighs more than him (310 lbs per KP), but as an actual player does not present some sort of Goliath at only 10.9 ppg and 7.3 rpg, mainly because he doesn't play a ton at 24.8 mpg (2.8 fouls per game). And if he somehow presented some sort of major problem for us, we (as we know full well from the postgame threads after losses) have plenty of bench depth that doesn't see the court that could help foul him - since Tacko shoots 36.1% from the FT line - that is not a typo. Others have rightly (IMO) pointed this out, but BJ Taylor and Aubrey Dawkins are certainly scarier to me than Tacko, at least from a numbers perspective (scoring, 3pt %, rebounds, etc) - I haven't watched them though. And this entire mini analysis requires them to first win a game that they aren't even favored in (KP 47%; +1 underdog per Vegas open, moved to a pick 'em currently).

Lastly, on the 8-team broader pod location, I think getting UVA, Gardner-Webb, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma is probably the most inoffensive of all the pairings we could ask for.

I won't further belabor my point, as this was way more than I intended on writing. But suffice to say, I see nothing particularly scary or irritating about our bracket, let alone offensive or downright wrong. In fact, I think our bracket is about as good as we can hope for, short of the NCAA changing the Tourney rules and just gifting us a title today.

- Chillin

jhmoss1812
03-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Let's go Billikens!!! I'd be perfectly fine with VT's most recent tourney win coming in 2007.

DavidBenAkiva
03-18-2019, 02:51 PM
As a general note (and an annual tradition), I find it amusing (in a genial way, not in a condescending way) how people over-parse the storylines as to how "scary" or "bad a matchup" certain hypothetical teams are for Duke or how "Duke got shafted" in some way. I'm fine with it because it's what makes the Tourney so fun and what makes the general public so interested as the storylines can more or less be created to suit any matchup in any round at any time.

I won't further belabor my point, as this was way more than I intended on writing. But suffice to say, I see nothing particularly scary or irritating about our bracket, let alone offensive or downright wrong. In fact, I think our bracket is about as good as we can hope for, short of the NCAA changing the Tourney rules and just gifting us a title today.

- Chillin

I'm not scared of any team per se, just trying to look at the bracket with an honest set of eyes. Villanova had a pretty rough path on their way to the National Title last year and made the rest of the field look silly. They had to face West Virginia, Texas Tech, Kansas, and then Michigan from the Sweet 16 through the Title. Compare that with Michigan's path to the National Title game. You can only play the teams in front of you. When I look at the bracket, I can easily see how Duke could win their way to Minneapolis. I also I don't want to count out the possibility that there are several teams that could upset Duke.

ChillinDuke
03-18-2019, 03:15 PM
I'm not scared of any team per se, just trying to look at the bracket with an honest set of eyes. Villanova had a pretty rough path on their way to the National Title last year and made the rest of the field look silly. They had to face West Virginia, Texas Tech, Kansas, and then Michigan from the Sweet 16 through the Title. Compare that with Michigan's path to the National Title game. You can only play the teams in front of you. When I look at the bracket, I can easily see how Duke could win their way to Minneapolis. I also I don't want to count out the possibility that there are several teams that could upset Duke.

I agree with you. And your last sentence I think is the right way of putting it - easily see a path to Minny, but always a chance at an upset.

That said, for those looking for something to annoy them, I don't see it even with an honest set of eyes. The South Carolina game, IMO, is the barometer for a truly terrible matchup. A streaking team playing right in their own backyard that was probably seeded too low with UNC fans in the same spot. That's annoying, objectively unfair for a #2 seed, and foreseeable. We don't have that situation here - really anywhere in our bracket. Va Tech is as close as I can get to irritated, but even that is 3 games away (for both teams) and integration of their PG is by no means a day-1 value add. It might end up being a godsend for them, but treating that hypothetical game as though it's immediately a value add for them is not using "honest eyes".

- Chillin

KandG
03-18-2019, 03:29 PM
The South Carolina game, IMO, is the barometer for a truly terrible matchup. A streaking team playing right in their own backyard that was probably seeded too low with UNC fans in the same spot. That's annoying, objectively unfair for a #2 seed, and foreseeable. We don't have that situation here - really anywhere in our bracket.

That game against SC still gets me heated to this day...I thought we had a Final Four team at a minimum and likely a championship team peaking at the right time. Playing what amounted to a stacked road game in a hostile environment amplified by the presence of rival fans...ugh.

Rich
03-18-2019, 03:38 PM

- Chillin

It's over

OldPhiKap
03-18-2019, 03:46 PM
That game against SC still gets me heated to this day...I thought we had a Final Four team at a minimum and likely a championship team peaking at the right time. Playing what amounted to a stacked road game in a hostile environment amplified by the presence of rival fans...ugh.

And in Charlotte a few years prior (Kyrie's return, and a second-round match with Michigan IIRC) it was the same thing. Full of Carolina fans, essentially a road game.

They should never put big rivals in the same pod. Same would go for UK-Louisville and others.

ChillinDuke
03-18-2019, 03:50 PM
And in Charlotte a few years prior (Kyrie's return, and a second-round match with Michigan IIRC) it was the same thing. Full of Carolina fans, essentially a road game.

They should never put big rivals in the same pod. Same would go for UK-Louisville and others.

This brings up a good question: Can someone remind me what the advent of the Pod System was? I think Jay Bilas alluded to this on air yesterday. Did something happen where they grouped top teams together too early or something that got people up in arms so they created a Pod System?

My initial thought is that people would say it's too subjective to define "big rivals". But without knowing why we even use Pods, I will refrain from opining.

- Chillin

devildeac
03-18-2019, 03:52 PM

Correct and correct. We were there but did not attend the Greenville debacle so I can't compare. None of our party of 4 complained *that* much about the cheater fans beyond our usual level of disgust, but they certainly weren't there to cheer the Devils on to a victory.

Wahoo2000
03-18-2019, 03:52 PM
There are some really potentially mouth-watering matchups here. For me, the most notable would be Duke/VT and Duke/MSU.

If Robinson really is 100%, or close to it, and they escape the 1st weekend, he should have enough time back on the floor to reintegrate pretty well. I doubt the team play/cohesion will be as good as if he never left, or came back last week, but still should be pretty solid. Watching Jones match up on Robinson would just be amazing for me from a 1-v-1 perspective. I really do think Jones is one of the best defenders in the nation, but Robinson, when he's playing well, it SPECIAL. Like probably 1st team all ACC special if he hadn't gotten injured. Additionally, having him creates MUCH more freedom and flexibility for alexander-walker who looked like a COMPLETELY different player while Robinson was out. When those two were playing together and clicking, they were as dangerous and complete of an offensive backcourt as you'd find anywhere in the nation. Add in the fact that VT is an EXCELLENT 3pt shooting team and Blackshear really blossomed and gained confidence with a more featured role while Robinson was out, and VT has a 1-2-3 punch that is as good as anyone's.......... except Duke. Despite ALL of that above, I can't pick against a fully healthy Duke squad. In fact, I don't think there's a team in the last 4 seasons I'd pick against this Duke squad. That confidence, combined with the very real possibility that Robinson may be much less than 100%, would keep me from picking VT to pull the upset in ANY of my brackets. Still, it has the potential to be an amazing game to watch.

If Duke does meet up with MSU in the regional final, I'll be riveted to watch Winston vs Jones matchup, as well as the battle for the boards. I think when things get tight, 2nd chance points are a HUGE key for Duke, and historically, MSU does a terrific job at owning the glass. I haven't run any of the numbers vis-a-vis kenpom rankings to see what the chances are of a Duke-MSU regional final, but I'm sure it's less likely than most people would imagine. Still, I'm really hoping to watch what should be another incredible matchup.

Other thoughts on the East-

- I have absolutely NO clue what to expect from LSU or Maryland. It wouldn't shock me for either to get to the regional final, or to be out in the first round. If *either* of those schools had great in-game strategy coaches, they'd probably be borderline 1-seeds. Instead, there's an all too likely possibility we'll get Yale or Belmont as Cinderellas into the S16.

- The "Pitino Bowl", for all the talk, I think will be a yawner. I know Louisville has had some epic chokes, but Minnesota's offense is dreadful. Beyond dreadful. And while their D is pretty good, Minnesota generates NOTHING from a turnover perspective, so chances for easy buckets just aren't there. I think Louisville is going to absolutely hammer them, which leads to....

-The most intriguing game in the round of 32 is a potential rematch of Louisville vs MSU (who they actually beat at home in OT during the ACC-B1G challenge). I'm thinking MSU pays them back in spades, but Louisville has shown at their best, they can compete with anybody. The question is whether Mack can get them to play consistently smart for a full 40 min. My money is on "no", but I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled the upset.

My "completely-unscientific-and-conjured-from-thin-air" region odds to advance to FF:
Duke - 70%
MSU - 15%
VT - 6%
LSU/Lou/MD - 8% (aggregate)
Other - 1%

UrinalCake
03-18-2019, 04:03 PM
I have totally overlooked the fact that Louisville is in our region as well. Man, there’s another rematch I would rather avoid.

CDu
03-18-2019, 04:07 PM
I have totally overlooked the fact that Louisville is in our region as well. Man, there’s another rematch I would rather avoid.

Well, as a 7 seed, it is highly unlikely we'd have to face them. And frankly, if they are our elite-8 opponent, I'd be thrilled.

Acymetric
03-18-2019, 04:07 PM

I know in my brain that I should feel that way, but my heart would love to see the rematch just to see all the recaps of that epic comeback.

Rich
03-18-2019, 04:10 PM
This brings up a good question: Can someone remind me what the advent of the Pod System was? I think Jay Bilas alluded to this on air yesterday. Did something happen where they grouped top teams together too early or something that got people up in arms so they created a Pod System?

My initial thought is that people would say it's too subjective to define "big rivals". But without knowing why we even use Pods, I will refrain from opining.

- Chillin

I believe it was so that higher ranked teams did not have the disadvantage of traveling to sites that were closer to the lower ranked team, at least for the first two rounds. This year there are pod games for the West and South regions in Hartford, for example.

sagegrouse
03-18-2019, 04:12 PM

Well, as a 7 seed, it is highly unlikely we'd have to face them. And frankly, if they are our elite-8 opponent, I'd be thrilled.

I know in my brain that I should feel that way, but my heart would love to see the rematch just to see all the recaps of that epic comeback.

In general, because there is a better prospect for "shock and awe," I prefer to face teams in the NCAA's that haven't played Duke in the same season. Especially when we are the #1 seed.

Kedsy
03-18-2019, 04:15 PM

This season Duke has shot below 30% in 16 of our 34 games. In those 16 games we've gone 13-3. Two of the three losses were to a #1 seed who happens to be our arch-rival in which our best player was hurt and didn't play (and in one of them our starting center didn't play, either). The third loss was in overtime and both our starting PG and another starter didn't play. Others have already chimed in on this (and I'm by no means saying we can't lose), but it seems pretty clear that absent another major injury we won't have to make threes to win, against pretty much anyone.

That said, for those looking for something to annoy them, I don't see it even with an honest set of eyes. The South Carolina game, IMO, is the barometer for a truly terrible matchup. A streaking team playing right in their own backyard that was probably seeded too low with UNC fans in the same spot. That's annoying, objectively unfair for a #2 seed, and foreseeable. We don't have that situation here - really anywhere in our bracket. Va Tech is as close as I can get to irritated, but even that is 3 games away (for both teams) and integration of their PG is by no means a day-1 value add. It might end up being a godsend for them, but treating that hypothetical game as though it's immediately a value add for them is not using "honest eyes".

If you want to imagine DBR (and most of the rest of Duke-world) exploding, just think of the reaction if we have to play 6-seed Maryland in DC in the Elite Eight.

Wahoo2000
03-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Just thought of this too - there's a real possibility that at least 2 of these fanbases get to DC for the regional semis and final:
-Maryland
-VT
-Louisville
Hopefully for Duke's sake, they have a ton of Blue Devil fans show up and keep it from feeling like a road game should 2 or even (gasp) all 3 of those teams get through.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Just thought of this too - there's a real possibility that at least 2 of these fanbases get to DC for the regional semis and final:
-Maryland
-VT
-Louisville
Hopefully for Duke's sake, they have a ton of Blue Devil fans show up and keep it from feeling like a road game should 2 or even (gasp) all 3 of those teams get through.

Duke has a huge alum base in the DC area. Not saying that we would outdraw Md or VT there, but I think we'd hold our own.

Lurkingdukedog
03-18-2019, 04:44 PM
I'm just glad we're not in de Annapolis region.

;) That was actually a pretty amusing set of commercials with Charles, Spike and Samuel

Lurkingdukedog
03-18-2019, 04:56 PM

I think a rematch with Louisville has the possibility of turning out similarly in the rematch with Maryland in 2001. If you recall, the regular season game (gone in 60 seconds or whatever) pre-dated the huge come back in the national semi's -- Maryland was way up in the first half but by the end of the game, we beat them by double digits

subzero02
03-18-2019, 04:57 PM
We are -175 to win the East Region according to www.betonline.ag/sportsbook/futures-and-props/ncaam-futures. Michigan State is +400 and the 4 seed, Va. Tech is +1000 which is ahead of the 3 seed LSU who is +1100. By comparison, UNC is +200 to win the Midwest, Gonzaga +125 to win the West and UVA is +140 to win the South. The two most heavily favored 2 seeds to make the final four are Michigan and Kentucky, both at +275. We are +225 to win the title and are followed by Gonzaga(+500), UVA(+550), UNC(+800), Kentucky(+1200) and MSU (+1200).

MChambers
03-18-2019, 04:58 PM
Duke has a huge alum base in the DC area. Not saying that we would outdraw Md or VT there, but I think we'd hold our own.

Plus, would anyone from Big Ten country travel all the way to DC? :-)

DU82
03-18-2019, 07:43 PM

- Chillin

The pod system started in 2002, after the west region sub-regional in, I believe Boise, featured three teams from the Maryland/DC area, including the Terps. Somebody finally realized that the first two rounds didn’t need to be held in the same region as the next two rounds. It also reduced overall travel significantly.

( It probably wouldn’t have been as big a deal if it had been held in Alaska. Gary Williams would have felt at home.)

UrinalCake
03-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Others have already chimed in on this (and I'm by no means saying we can't lose), but it seems pretty clear that absent another major injury we won't have to make threes to win, against pretty much anyone.

I think it would gloriously fitting if a program with a reputation of basing its style on “slow white guys shooting threes,” which is of course inaccurate to begin with, wound up winning a title by shooting the lowest three point percentage of any champion in history, led by the most athletic player in history.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2019, 07:52 PM
I think it would gloriously fitting if a program with a reputation of basing its style on “slow white guys shooting threes,” which is of course inaccurate to begin with, wound up winning a title by shooting the lowest three point percentage of any champion in history, led by the most athletic player in history.

...any Duke title is gloriously fitting in my book.....but that scenario you outlined above would be a delicious irony.....

Nugget
03-18-2019, 08:37 PM

I believe Jay was alluding to the 2001 tournament, when in the West Region's first/2nd round grouping in Boise they had Maryland, Georgetown, George Mason and Hampton among the 8 teams playing there (it was the 2/7/10/15 and 3/6/11/14 groups in the West).

There was some beefing that it was expensive (and a disservice to local fans) to send teams so far away in the first round.

The next year (2002) the pod system started for rounds 1 and 2.

wsb3
03-18-2019, 08:46 PM

2005 I was there.That was a road game.Surrounded by idiot Cheat fans.

JJ said they got booed for walking in a restaurant.

ChrisP
03-18-2019, 11:05 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere (though I've read the whole thread and didn't see it) but VT has to travel to San Jose for the 1st weekend. I realize I am way older than these college kids but, for me, jet lag is no joke. I do wonder if it might affect the Hokies. Plus, I can't imagine too many VT fans making the trip out west. Watch them not even make it to DC - all this hand wringing for nothing! :)

roywhite
03-18-2019, 11:29 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere (though I've read the whole thread and didn't see it) but VT has to travel to San Jose for the 1st weekend. I realize I am way older than these college kids but, for me, jet lag is no joke. I do wonder if it might affect the Hokies. Plus, I can't imagine too many VT fans making the trip out west. Watch them not even make it to DC - all this hand wringing for nothing! :)

I like it. Do they know the way from San Jose?

flyingdutchdevil
03-19-2019, 10:36 AM
From the Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2019/3/19/18272167/zion-williamson-ncaa-tournament-march-madness

All about the legend that is Zion. No major references to Duke. And the author absolutely hates the hypocrisy that is the NCAA. Fun read

TruBlu
03-19-2019, 10:45 AM
From the Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2019/3/19/18272167/zion-williamson-ncaa-tournament-march-madness

All about the legend that is Zion. No major references to Duke. And the author absolutely hates the hypocrisy that is the NCAA. Fun read

Thanks for the link. Truly a fun read, and a few great Zion clips.

Saratoga2
03-19-2019, 10:53 AM
They have given Duke a tough road to the championship game, especially the East Region. I see Duke facing VCU (not so tough), Va Tech and Mich St to win the East. Maybe they put Mich St in the East to take care of LSU to avoid having a team under investigation from getting to the final 4.

Maybe the Midwest is the next hardest with UNC likely facing Washington (not so tough) but then Auburn and Possibly Kentucky. I see UNC losing to Auburn but that is a stretch.

BlueDevil16
03-19-2019, 11:18 AM
They have given Duke a tough road to the championship game, especially the East Region. I see Duke facing VCU (not so tough), Va Tech and Mich St to win the East. Maybe they put Mich St in the East to take care of LSU to avoid having a team under investigation from getting to the final 4.

Maybe the Midwest is the next hardest with UNC likely facing Washington (not so tough) but then Auburn and Possibly Kentucky. I see UNC losing to Auburn but that is a stretch.

Louisville could take care of Michigan State - wouldn't discount them just yet.

BandAlum83
03-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Louisville could take care of Michigan State - wouldn't discount them just yet.

On my DBR bracket, that is my pick.

Rich
03-19-2019, 11:30 AM

That never stopped them with respect to Carolina, but I guess there's a double standard.

Dukelogger
03-19-2019, 11:36 AM
My dream scenario includes defeating VT, Gonzaga and UNC to win the national championship ergo this team does not concede bragging rights from the regular season to any other team. By beating UNC in the national championship game the bragging rights for this year (especially considering injured players) are not even debatable, and we beat VT and Gonzaga in our most recent matchups. This 2018-19 team is forever legendary, and rightfully so. Make this happen!

GoDuke2015
03-19-2019, 11:44 AM
My dream scenario includes defeating VT, Gonzaga and UNC to win the national championship ergo this team does not concede bragging rights from the regular season to any other team. By beating UNC in the national championship game the bragging rights for this year (especially considering injured players) are not even debatable, and we beat VT and Gonzaga in our most recent matchups. This 2018-19 team is forever legendary, and rightfully so. Make this happen!

Would hate to play UNC ever in the NCAAs, let alone the championship game. I would throw up and probably not be able to watch.

GoDuke!

wsb3
03-19-2019, 11:46 AM
By beating UNC in the national championship game the bragging rights for this year (especially considering injured players) are not even debatable,

That's great if my heart survived a Duke Cheats final.

DrChainsaw
03-19-2019, 12:03 PM

Facing UNC in the finals is what I consider the Armageddon scenario. As the two campuses are only about 10 miles apart as the crow flies, the nuclear meltdown that would take place at the losing site would certainly consume the victors before they could hold a match to the first bench.

Dukelogger
03-19-2019, 12:08 PM
I will say all of the “this ends bragging rights forever” talk is completely foolish. The whole point of a rivalry is to battle over bragging rights. Either it’s a rivalry and the pursuit of bragging rights exists, or it’s not and bragging rights is an afterthought. Now, it would certainly add to the repertoire for either side, but Duke - UNC will be a rivalry at least in my lifetime and this game will not be the end all be all. It will, however, be “the biggest Duke-UNC game ever.” But anyone that thinks this would even put a dent into the banter coming from either side just isn’t very familiar with the relentlessness of this rivalry.

sagegrouse
03-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Would hate to play UNC ever in the NCAAs, let alone the championship game. I would throw up and probably not be able to watch.

GoDuke!

That's great if my heart survived a Duke Cheats final.

Facing UNC in the finals is what I consider the Armageddon scenario. As the two campuses are only about 10 miles apart as the crow flies, the nuclear meltdown that would take place at the losing site would certainly consume the victors before they could hold a match to the first bench.

UNC or no UNC, I don't want to play anyone in the finals -- or in the tournament -- that we have played earlier in the season. That is triply true for UNC and doubly true for Virginia. I think our edge in talent is important, and the first encounter with Duke's defense and Zion is likely to be intimidating to any opponent.

Of course, we could have a path to the finals where every opponent after the first two games is someone we have played before -- VT, Louisville, Gonzaga or Texas Tech (or Syracuse or Florida State), Virginia or UNC or Kentucky or Auburn.

AustinDevil
03-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Plus, would anyone from Big Ten country travel all the way to DC? :-)

This is hilarious and needs to be specifically acknowledged!

Spanarkel
03-19-2019, 02:00 PM
Essentially no mention of "the other MSU," namely Mississippi State, in this East Region thread. While not an elite team, they are KenPom no. 21 and have had a very solid season:

Wins against the following field of 64(68)teams: Auburn, Cincy, Ole Miss, Wofford, St. Mary's, Florida(and also defeated Clemson handily).

4 of 10 losses were to UK and UT(no shame there)

No real "awful"/"how could that have happened?" type of losses: the "worst" losses were on the road vs. SEC rivals Alabama and South Carolina, and neutral site to Arizona State.

Good mix of talent(freshman big Reggie Perry, a McD A-A/the Weatherspoon brothers, one of whom was a top 5 PG in his HS class/other solid players), experience and youth.

Decent mix of inside/outside scoring and solid shooting stats from all three levels.

Battle tested in the SEC this season(KenPom has SEC at 4th toughest, I'd say the league is possibly better than that).

A coach(Ben Howland)who's been to multiple FFs, though with immensely talented UCLA squads.

If, as many pundits say, Wofford is capable of winning 1-2 games in the NCAAT, then I would venture that Miss State is as well, and could potentially match up well with possible R16 foe VT.

Curious on other posters' impressions of "the other MSU." Thanks.

whereinthehellami
03-19-2019, 04:05 PM
There area lot of rumors in Blacksburg (https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/message_board/vtbasketball/) that Buzz is on his way out to Texas A&M, as he is from Texas. I wonder how much that will factor into their focus/play.

mk76
03-19-2019, 05:22 PM
I think our biggest worry is foul trouble with RJ or Zion or both. The emergence of Tre Jones as a reliable (we hope!) 3rd scoring option in the ACC tournament will be a huge plus if he continues to play well on the offensive end. I am praying every night that Cam or AOC or Jack can give us SOMETHING from the outside. Jack seems to have settled on playing defense, rebounding and blocking shots and has been great from that standpoint. Alex is so mercurial and is our most consistent three point shooter but I think his minutes are limited because of defensive lapses. Cam may be better off driving and stopping for mid-range jumpers than hoisting threes or drawing charges.

Then again I don't have five rings so what do I know?

Our strength is defense, points in the paint and points in transition. That's how we will win.

Wahoo2000
03-19-2019, 05:29 PM
There area lot of rumors in Blacksburg (https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/message_board/vtbasketball/) that Buzz is on his way out to Texas A&M, as he is from Texas. I wonder how much that will factor into their focus/play.

Oh man - I wonder how many credits blackshear has towards graduation. If Buzz leaves, along with Robinson, Hill, and Outlaw graduating, plus Alexander-Walker going into the draft, there's NO reason for Blackshear to want to stay. Gotta be a top 2-3 national grad transfer candidate. I wonder if UNC will strike again a-la-Cam Johnson. Blackshear would be an absolute TERROR in UNC's system, and you've got to think he'd mesh well with Bacot as Blackshear has a strong game away from the basket as well. I'm connecting a lot of stuff that probably won't happen here, but if UNC got blackshear and then signed Cole Anthony as well they won't have the fall-off next season I've been predicting.

uh_no
03-19-2019, 05:45 PM
I think our biggest worry is foul trouble with RJ or Zion or both. The emergence of Tre Jones as a reliable (we hope!) 3rd scoring option in the ACC tournament will be a huge plus if he continues to play well on the offensive end. I am praying every night that Cam or AOC or Jack can give us SOMETHING from the outside. Jack seems to have settled on playing defense, rebounding and blocking shots and has been great from that standpoint. Alex is so mercurial and is our most consistent three point shooter but I think his minutes are limited because of defensive lapses. Cam may be better off driving and stopping for mid-range jumpers than hoisting threes or drawing charges.

Then again I don't have five rings so what do I know?

Our strength is defense, points in the paint and points in transition. That's how we will win.

I'd be hesitant to power up the Tre hype train just yet.

He had 15/11/18 in the ACCT
He had 13/11/13 in a 3 game stretch earlier in the year vs SJU, BC, and UVA
He had 14/10/17/15 in a 4 game stretch against SDSU, Auburn, gonzaga, and indiana which certainly rivaled the quality of opponents we saw in the ACCT

I'm glad he's scoring, and I hope it continues....but I'm not sure I'd count it as an emergence as we've already seen it come and go multiple times this year.

sagegrouse
03-19-2019, 07:09 PM

Well, as a former Texan, coaching at A&M is typically (a) about the money and then (b) liking Texas. I am not sure I'd take the job if I were he, but it may be "life-changing."

mr. synellinden
03-19-2019, 08:55 PM
I didn't know where to put this great story from The Ringer on Zion (https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2019/3/19/18272167/zion-williamson-ncaa-tournament-march-madness) on the precipice of the NCAA tournament. It's worth reading just for the GIFs.

cato
03-19-2019, 09:23 PM
I think a rematch with Louisville has the possibility of turning out similarly in the rematch with Maryland in 2001. If you recall, the regular season game (gone in 60 seconds or whatever) pre-dated the huge come back in the national semi's -- Maryland was way up in the first half but by the end of the game, we beat them by double digits

My heart has aged dog years since those two comebacks in 2001. I don’t think it’s up for a repeat.

English
03-19-2019, 10:21 PM
Oh man - I wonder how many credits blackshear has towards graduation. If Buzz leaves, along with Robinson, Hill, and Outlaw graduating, plus Alexander-Walker going into the draft, there's NO reason for Blackshear to want to stay. Gotta be a top 2-3 national grad transfer candidate. I wonder if UNC will strike again a-la-Cam Johnson. Blackshear would be an absolute TERROR in UNC's system, and you've got to think he'd mesh well with Bacot as Blackshear has a strong game away from the basket as well. I'm connecting a lot of stuff that probably won't happen here, but if UNC got blackshear and then signed Cole Anthony as well they won't have the fall-off next season I've been predicting.

Unsubscribe immediately. We have enough nonsense posts about the quality of unx’s future team/roster, we don’t need to start pulling them out of thin air.

subzero02
03-20-2019, 12:17 AM
I've got Belmont knocking off Maryland in several of my brackets and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they created some bigger waves in the East region before their run comes to an end. Tonight was their first NCAA tournament win and also the 805th win for coach Byrd.

subzero02
03-20-2019, 04:27 AM

We played Maryland 4 times in 2001. The gone in 60 seconds game was just the first meeting that year. I don't think we want a repeat of that first rematch because we lost by double digits 91 to 80 . That game was on senior night in Cameron and to make matters worse, Boozer broke his foot. We barely beat them in the ACC semifinals 84 to 82 and trailed them by 22 points in the NCAA semifinal. Although we went 2 and 1 in the rematches, I want no part of watching a repeat of any of the scenarios I described.

mk76
03-20-2019, 06:45 AM
I'd be hesitant to power up the Tre hype train just yet.

He had 15/11/18 in the ACCT
He had 13/11/13 in a 3 game stretch earlier in the year vs SJU, BC, and UVA
He had 14/10/17/15 in a 4 game stretch against SDSU, Auburn, gonzaga, and indiana which certainly rivaled the quality of opponents we saw in the ACCT

I'm glad he's scoring, and I hope it continues...but I'm not sure I'd count it as an emergence as we've already seen it come and go multiple times this year.

No hype train I'm just hoping it continues

roywhite
03-20-2019, 11:02 AM
It's only Wednesday? Two+ days till our first game? :(

TruBlu
03-20-2019, 12:23 PM
It's only Wednesday? Two+ days till our first game? :(

But at least we get to scout our first round opponent tonight.

Duke79UNLV77
03-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Don't worry. Remember, the ACC has a hard and fast rule against such transfers within the conference. Oh, wait, no rules apply to uncheat.

Green Wave Dukie
03-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Daughter Green Wave Dukie is getting a doctorate in Physics at NDSU. So, rooting for the Bison tonight.

However, not looking forward to the slaughter I envision Friday should NDSU beat NCCU this evening. Oh, well. Still want them to win tonight..., I think.

curtis325
03-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Daughter Green Wave Dukie is getting a doctorate in Physics at NDSU. So, rooting for the Bison tonight.

However, not looking forward to the slaughter I envision Friday should NDSU beat NCCU this evening. Oh, well. Still want them to win tonight..., I think.

Go Eagles!

Set up a "Championship of Durm" game.

Acymetric
03-20-2019, 01:20 PM
A fun piece of trivia I don't think I've seen mentioned anywhere else: with our tournament bid this year K has passed Dean Smith for most consecutive tournament appearances by a coach with 24 (previously they were tied with 23 each). Tom Izzo is third with 22, Roy Williams and Mark Few are tied for third at 20, with Mark Few's streak being active (Roy's spans his time at Kansas and first 6 years at unc).

At the school level, we are third with 24 appearances, behind unc with 27 (1975-2001) and Kansas (active) with 30. Hopefully we pass unc in 4 years, but I suspect the Kansas streak will continue for a while and stand as the record for quite some time when they finally do fail to make the tourney (we would need to extend our streak for six more years after Kansas fails to get a bid to tie, and nobody else is even close).

Acymetric
03-20-2019, 01:40 PM
A fun piece of trivia I don't think I've seen mentioned anywhere else: with our tournament bid this year K has passed Dean Smith for most consecutive tournament appearances by a coach with 24 (previously they were tied with 23 each). Tom Izzo is third with 22, Roy Williams and Mark Few are tied for third at 20, with Mark Few's streak being active (Roy's spans his time at Kansas and first 6 years at unc).

At the school level, we are third with 24 appearances, behind unc with 27 (1975-2001) and Kansas (active) with 30. Hopefully we pass unc in 4 years, but I suspect the Kansas streak will continue for a while and stand as the record for quite some time when they finally do fail to make the tourney (we would need to extend our streak for six more years after Kansas fails to get a bid to tie, and nobody else is even close).

Weirdly, 20 minutes after I post this David Glenn starts talking about tournament appearance streaks.

English
03-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Weirdly, 20 minutes after I post this David Glenn starts talking about tournament appearance streaks.

Beware...He's watching us.

BandAlum83
03-20-2019, 05:46 PM

Either team will be excited to play Duke. Having a chance to tell their grand kids in 50 years that they scored a point or made a steal on Zion when they played them will be the stuff of legend!

It's a great opportunity for those kids!

Lurkingdukedog
03-21-2019, 09:27 AM
Either team will be excited to play Duke. Having a chance to tell their grand kids in 50 years that they scored a point or made a steal on Zion when they played them will be the stuff of legend!

It's a great opportunity for those kids!

Looks like your daughter will get her wish. . . .

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Looks like your daughter will get her wish. . . .

Green Wave Dukie's daughter, that is

dukebluesincebirth
03-21-2019, 12:29 PM
Richard Pitino looks just like Rick on the sideline... pacing up and down the bench with arms crossed:)

Spanarkel
03-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Richard Pitino looks just like Rick on the sideline... pacing up and down the bench with arms crossed:)

I hope his table manners are better than his father's.

flyingdutchdevil
03-21-2019, 01:25 PM
So much for the ACC going undefeated in the first round...

dukebluesincebirth
03-21-2019, 01:27 PM
So much for the ACC going undefeated in the first round...

Not counting them out yet, but surely not looking good for the Cards...Pitino's boys are bringing more energy to this game. It's going to be interesting to see how good the acc is outside of those top 3 seeds...

devildeac
03-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Not counting them out yet, but surely not looking good for the Cards...Pitino's boys are bringing more energy to this game. It's going to be interesting to see how good the acc is outside of those top 3 seeds...

As -jk said, "Louisville is broken." (or something like that)

Sorry I trusted the acc over the B1G with my bracket on this one.

SavDukeGrad
03-21-2019, 01:32 PM
Louisville is in a dog fight! I always favor the ACC teams in the early rounds - doesn’t look like that was a good idea with Louisville this year.

I wonder if Matthew Hurt is there watching his brother? I think Minnesota is still on his list too.

mr. synellinden
03-21-2019, 01:45 PM
Louisville can kiss the baby.

gocanes0506
03-21-2019, 01:45 PM
Welp 1 game and my perfect bracket is gone. Let down

J4Kop99
03-21-2019, 01:47 PM
I hope his table manners are better than his father's.

Hiyooo

Acymetric
03-21-2019, 02:02 PM
As -jk said, "Louisville is broken." (or something like that)

Sorry I trusted the acc over the B1G with my bracket on this one.

Yeah, my dreams of a perfect bracket are crushed once again.

dukebluesincebirth
03-21-2019, 02:06 PM
Minnesota is playing over their heads:eek:

SavDukeGrad
03-21-2019, 02:10 PM
Yeah, my dreams of a perfect bracket are crushed once again.

Mine too. Although at least I didn’t buy into the narrative that LSU can’t win a game without their coach!

Acymetric
03-21-2019, 02:13 PM
Mine too. Although at least I didn’t buy into the narrative that LSU can’t win a game without their coach!

Yeah, I thought that was pretty clearly one of the worst "popular" upsets floating around this year.

gocanes0506
03-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Louisville’s decision making to foul makes 0 sense. They wait 22+ seconds to foul 30 feet from the basket? Why not 2 seconds in?

wsb3
03-21-2019, 02:33 PM
Minnesota is playing over their heads:eek:

They made 11 threes & they averaged 5..Only 5 turnovers.

SavDukeGrad
03-21-2019, 02:35 PM
I’m a Minnesota fan now. Go Gophers!

whereinthehellami
03-21-2019, 02:39 PM
Minnesota did a good job controlling Louisville. I expected more from Louisville. I was close to picking them over MSU, glad I didn't.

The length and athletiscm of LSU really bothered Yale.

J4Kop99
03-21-2019, 02:40 PM
You'd think that such a smart team like Yale would stop taking 3's at this point...

How are they supposed to beat Belmont if they lose to LSU????

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 02:42 PM
You'd think that such a smart team like Yale would stop taking 3's at this point...

How are they supposed to beat Belmont if they lose to LSU????

After the stop with 1:07 to play, they had an easy 2 to cut it to 4 pts, but they took 2 bad 3's instead.

Phredd3
03-21-2019, 02:43 PM
Minnesota, hats off to thee!

dukelifer
03-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I thought that was pretty clearly one of the worst "popular" upsets floating around this year.

Sold me- Bracket down 2 to start the whole thing

UrinalCake
03-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Minnesota did a good job controlling Louisville. I expected more from Louisville.

Me too. I guess I was focusing too much on the first 32 minutes that they played against us, and not enough on the final 8. I also wonder if daddy Pitino shared any coaching tips with his son on how to beat his former players.

BigZ
03-21-2019, 04:13 PM
Izzo about to choke again?

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 04:17 PM

How much does the Aherns injury hurt them?

bbosbbos
03-21-2019, 04:24 PM

Jinx or anti-jinx?

ChillinDuke
03-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Remember when everyone was so ticket off that MSU got Duke's bracket? Or vice versa?

Still plenty of time left in this game, but these things happen.

- Chillin

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Whoa...did anyone just see Izzo laying into one of his players at that break?

Anyone have any idea what that might be? It seemed another player was trying to calm him down. Odd since MSU just broke out a little run to go up by 5.

MChambers
03-21-2019, 04:32 PM
Whoa...did anyone just see Izzo laying into one of his players at that break?

Anyone have any idea what that might be? It seemed another player was trying to calm him down. Odd since MSU just broke out a little run to go up by 5.

I think he missed a switch. Winston and McQuaid had to calm Izzo down. Weird.

MChambers
03-21-2019, 04:35 PM
How much does the Aherns injury hurt them?

Mostly it’s a question of depth. Ahrens is only okay and was struggling with back problems. Henry is more athletic but is a freshman. They have another freshman who is their last real perimeter reserve.

bbosbbos
03-21-2019, 04:36 PM
Do not look that far. Take care of the 1st opponent. VT is far away. MSU is far far away.

SavDukeGrad
03-21-2019, 04:40 PM
Izzo looks way more animated than usual. Way, way out of the coaching box.

ChillinDuke
03-21-2019, 04:41 PM
He's tired of choking.

Or at least having to address choking.

The great part is, if he doesn't choke here, and he doesn't choke in Round 2, then it becomes increasingly likely he'll have to address the Duke monkey on his back. Too many monkeys, Tom!

- Chillin

weezie
03-21-2019, 04:42 PM
Go BRADLEY!!!!

bbosbbos
03-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Go BRADLEY!!!!

weezie, that will hurt a lot of people's brackets.

weezie
03-21-2019, 04:47 PM
Izzo looks way more animated than usual. Way, way out of the coaching box.

Considering the fine, brilliant, well-dressed and handsome refs gave Hurley a technical for raising his arms at halftime last night, wondering about a foul, Silly Bobby, I wonder if they might look askance at Izzn't carrying on? Maybe? No?

Well, since the refs are always right, I guess it's ok to selectively enforce that new and so very impactful "decorum on the bench" rule.

Gosh, I wonder what's in store for Buzzy and the hokies? Nothing?!

JetpackJesus
03-21-2019, 04:47 PM
Go BRADLEY!!!!
They put together a JWill-esque 45 seconds there.

weezie
03-21-2019, 04:50 PM
weezie, that will hurt a lot of people's brackets.

Hah. Don't care. Even mine will be blown.

Charles Barkely picking sparty to win it all. Sheeeesh.

duke4ever19
03-21-2019, 04:52 PM
Cassius Winston is getting all he can handle from a Bradley guard. Tre Jones can definitely mess with Winston.

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 04:56 PM
Go BRADLEY!!!!

Interestingly, MSU was the last team to lose to a 15 seed while playing as a 2 seed.

No team has ever lost a 15-2 game as a 2 seed twice.

Since going to a 64 team tournament, the overall record for 15 seeds vs. 2 seed is 8-128

Duke is, of course one of the teams that has lost to a 15 seed. (Lehigh, 2012).

Just some fun background on 15 seeds.

March Madness: Getting to know the No. 15 seed (https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2019-02-19/march-madness-getting-know-no-15-seed-ncaa-tournament)

Acymetric
03-21-2019, 04:57 PM
Considering the fine, brilliant, well-dressed and handsome refs

Don't forget their full, luxurious heads of hair.

weezie
03-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Don't forget their full, luxurious heads of hair.

Mea culpa. I'll bet they use nice aftershave too.

BigZ
03-21-2019, 05:37 PM
Looking it up Minnesota and Michigan ST played once this season and MSU win by 24.

weezie
03-21-2019, 05:40 PM
Yet Izzn't rolled his eyes at playing another Big Whatever team in the second round.

He's so cute when he coyly complains.

Bluedog
03-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Fun short article for those in the financial services industry quoting several Duke alums who are heads of firms and their confidence and plans to attend the Final Four if Duke makes it that far. David Rubenstein:
"I’ve generally tried to avoid religious statements in public,” joked Rubenstein .. "But I am a committed Zionist.” bwahaha

Also an article that probably people who hate Duke point at as to why, but such is life.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-03-22/duke-s-title-run-revives-status-as-wall-street-s-favorite-team

wavedukefan70s
03-22-2019, 01:25 PM
I'm guessing the unc fans in Columbia are lost.came to root against Duke and Virginia. Lol
It is Virginia and Duke heavy on fans so far.

MChambers
03-22-2019, 09:43 PM
How weird is it to see Ben Howland coaching Miss. St.?

gocanes0506
03-22-2019, 09:49 PM
Hey the Flames are still marching.

Duke79UNLV77
03-22-2019, 09:54 PM
Start of VCU-CFU game has been ... unimpressive for both teams.

Also, seeing Johnny D’s white goatee makes me feel old!

subzero02
03-22-2019, 09:55 PM
VCU/UCF are a combined 1 for 16 to start the game

AGDukesky
03-22-2019, 09:58 PM
This game is awful

robed deity
03-22-2019, 10:00 PM
VCU is a really good defensive team. Not a very good offensive team.

AGDukesky
03-22-2019, 10:03 PM
Okay the game has improved now

Acymetric
03-22-2019, 10:03 PM
Start of VCU-CFU game has been ... unimpressive for both teams.

Also, seeing Johnny D’s white goatee makes me feel old!

Did you watch old Bobby Hurley this week? Not much better.

Duke79UNLV77
03-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Did you watch old Bobby Hurley this week? Not much better.

They both look very fit! But, some white hairs up top.

Acymetric
03-22-2019, 10:20 PM
Weird technical foul there...

BandAlum83
03-22-2019, 10:32 PM
So I just tuned in Va Tech and haven’t seen Justin Robinson. Is he back or not?

devildeac
03-22-2019, 10:36 PM

Ours is better: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

;)

BandAlum83
03-22-2019, 10:39 PM
Justin checked in at 13:30 of the 1st half for the first time.

Reddevil
03-22-2019, 10:41 PM
When does Duke play Sunday?

JetpackJesus
03-22-2019, 10:47 PM
When does Duke play Sunday?

I believe it's still TBD. I assume they set the game times after all the games are over.

Ballboy1998
03-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Obviously another game to win between now and then, but vtech's Justin Robinson looks good as new and Duke got totally jobbed by having the possibility of facing them in DC. Quite the reward for the #1 overall!

Bigwayne17
03-22-2019, 10:53 PM

He is back and the Hokies are looking tough.

rsvman
03-22-2019, 10:55 PM
Hokies playing extremely well, albeit against an overmatched opponent.

weezie
03-22-2019, 10:56 PM
Obviously another game to win between now and then, but vtech's Justin Robinson looks good as new and Duke got totally jobbed by having the possibility of facing them in DC. Quite the reward for the #1 overall!

If this actually comes to pass, we win roll vtech like the dank basement carpet their colors represent. hokie fans are the dregs.

subzero02
03-22-2019, 11:05 PM
UCF is looking pretty good right now too

fan345678
03-22-2019, 11:10 PM
If this actually comes to pass, we win roll vtech like the dank basement carpet their colors represent. hokie fans are the dregs.

VT also gets a 12 seed next. They'll be tough.
Per KenPom, St. Louis has the 5th-worst O in the tournament (205 overall, 43rd D). Liberty should be bigger challenge (51 O, 92 D).
Trivia note: Ken Pomeroy is a VT alum.

dukelifer
03-22-2019, 11:11 PM

Well he has 5 points so not quite blowing up- but another piece on a good team.

dukelifer
03-22-2019, 11:22 PM
UCF is looking pretty good right now too

They play hard on D. Duke will need to take control of the game early.

weezie
03-22-2019, 11:44 PM
Game time Sunday 5:15pm! CBS

ncexnyc
03-22-2019, 11:51 PM
I can't wait to see Zion posterize Taco Fall on Sunday.

ice-9
03-23-2019, 12:38 AM
They play hard on D. Duke will need to take control of the game early.

Let’s not overlook UCF. Impressive win over VCU.

84Duke
03-23-2019, 01:30 AM
Game time Sunday 5:15pm! CBS

I'm out of my brain with that game. At 5:15.

devildeac
03-23-2019, 07:08 AM

Who Are You? Are you "...on the train...?

wavedukefan70s
03-23-2019, 07:38 AM

Wow I will make the duke game but wont stay for the Virginia game.

OldPhiKap
03-23-2019, 08:17 AM

Who Are You? Are you "...on the train...?

He’s a kid. And he’s alright.

slower
03-23-2019, 09:07 AM
If this actually comes to pass, we win roll vtech like the dank basement carpet their colors represent.

If we play like we did in the 2nd half against NDSU, yes. If we play like we played the first half, absolutely not.

cspan37421
03-23-2019, 09:09 AM
He’s a kid. And he’s alright.

Why should I care? :rolleyes:

AGDukesky
03-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Good start for LSU

House G
03-23-2019, 01:24 PM
I just can’t pull for the Terps but LSU is going to be a tough out.

AGDukesky
03-23-2019, 01:54 PM

Exactly how I feel

Phredd3
03-23-2019, 02:00 PM

They gotta get by Maryland first, though. This has turned into a game.

gocanes0506
03-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Has LSU’s coach never seen the zone before?

0 adjustment made to their offense.

slower
03-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Ah, the joy of listening to Ian Eagle and Jim Spanarkel. IMO, the best broadcast team out there.

Also, LSU/Terps may be the lowest bball IQ game in memory.

AGDukesky
03-23-2019, 02:11 PM
Well this game suddenly turned interesting

House G
03-23-2019, 02:14 PM

I think he’s watching at Buffalo Wildwings.

UrinalCake
03-23-2019, 02:19 PM
LSU challenging Maryland at the rim repeatedly, with zero success. Maybe try something else? I sort of discounted the whole not-having-a-coach thing but it is clearly a factor.

devildeac
03-23-2019, 02:22 PM
College Park sure shooting a lot of FT. Are ya watching, billy p?

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2019, 02:22 PM
LSU challenging Maryland at the rim repeatedly, with zero success. Maybe try something else? I sort of discounted the whole not-having-a-coach thing but it is clearly a factor.

3s ain’t falling. Rim is all they have.

That said, this game is really really fun.

KandG
03-23-2019, 02:25 PM

Tigers have done a horrible job attacking the zone all half. In their defense, someone on twitter pointed out that Maryland has played zone on 1.6% of their defensive possessions all year.

So LSU was caught off guard, to say the least. Not having their head coach probably made it worse.

gotoguy
03-23-2019, 02:26 PM
Quite a ballgame, LSU Turtles

dukebluesincebirth
03-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Bye Twerps 🤣

slower
03-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Bye Twerps 🤣

Nice "Jordan carry" on that last shot.

gocanes0506
03-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Im thoroughly glad Maryland lost. 1. Because its Maryland. 2. So everyone can stop pretending Big 10(whatever number they really are) deserves the bandwagon.

KandG
03-23-2019, 02:30 PM
And LSU gets away with a brutal second half anyway. Ugh.

Still find myself irrationally fearing them, assuming we make it to that point. Waters is really tough, and I think they can beat MSU.

devildeac
03-23-2019, 02:30 PM
Not an LSU fan but seeing the terps (and their classless fan base) lose like that makes me smile.

DavidBenAkiva
03-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Im thoroughly glad Maryland lost. 1. Because its Maryland. 2. So everyone can stop pretending Big 10(whatever number they really are) deserves the bandwagon.

I'm glad Maryland is out because I REALLY didn't want to see them and their fans in Washington, DC should Duke defeat UCF.

gocanes0506
03-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Tigers have done a horrible job attacking the zone all half. In their defense, someone on twitter pointed out that Maryland has played zone on 1.6% of their defensive possessions all year.

So LSU was caught off guard, to say the least. Not having their head coach probably made it worse.

I can understand if they were stymied by it until the next timeout. They were stopped by it for almost the entire half.

dukelifer
03-23-2019, 02:32 PM

Pretty impressive that the little guy made that play. LSU moving on. Probably all will be vacated because that is what the NCAA does.

rolm
If we can win tomorrow, won't have to deal with Maryland fans in DC next weekend. Hopefully, VT loses too and many of us Duke fans can get tickets to the games next week to support our team :)

MChambers
Not an LSU fan but seeing the terps (and their classless fan base) lose like that makes me smile.

Meteor game for me. Maryland on one side and a cheating program on the other.

Duke79UNLV77
03-23-2019, 02:35 PM
Waters travelled before his game-winning shot. Right foot kicked back down again.

MrPoon
03-23-2019, 02:36 PM
Meteor game for me. Maryland on one side and a cheating program on the other.

Agreed. Hard to cheer for this one but it was a fun game. Found myself hoping for LSU to lose after that big lead but not for Maryland to win.

KandG
03-23-2019, 02:37 PM
I can understand if they were stymied by it until the next timeout. They were stopped by it for almost the entire half.

Clearly the zone got in their heads. Lot of standstill 3 pointers, and when they didn't fall, forced stuff to the rim instead of looking for the smart kickout pass or dish off to another teammate cutting.

For a lot of the second half, LSU were fighting themselves. Agreed that isn't the sign of a very composed team, though they still survived.

DavidBenAkiva
03-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Clearly the zone got in their heads. Lot of standstill 3 pointers, and when they didn't fall, forced stuff to the rim instead of looking for the smart kickout pass or dish off to another teammate cutting.

For a lot of the second half, LSU were fighting themselves. Agreed that isn't the sign of a very composed team, though they still survived.

LSU is not a good 3-point shooting team, making 32.1% of their 3's, 285th in the nation. That's almost as bad as Duke!

I'm surprised more teams don't try to zone them. It prevents dribble penetration by Waters and ensures their bigs are facing multiple defenders.

That being said, an Michigan State-LSU matchup would be fun as hell to watch. Cassius Winston vs. Tremont Waters. Nick Ward and Kenny Goins vs. Naz Reid and Emmitt Williams. Heck of a matchup if MSU can get back Minnesota.

mapei
03-23-2019, 02:45 PM
I honestly don't care how ugly it was as long as Maryland lost. I live in DC, have tickets for next weekend, and find the legions of Twerp fans here insufferable.

JNort
03-23-2019, 02:54 PM

Still find myself irrationally fearing them, assuming we make it to that point. Waters is really tough, and I think they can beat MSU.

LSU should be a cakewalk matchup for us. They shoot 3s almost as badly as we do but we have the better players across the board and of course we actually have a coach.

ns7
03-23-2019, 03:01 PM

I'd much rather face LSU than Michigan State. I can see our offense getting what they want inside against LSU. And I trust our defense against everyone.

knicknut
03-23-2019, 03:14 PM
Waters travelled before his game-winning shot. Right foot kicked back down again.

Carried pretty badly, too.

KandG
03-23-2019, 03:20 PM
LSU is not a good 3-point shooting team, making 32.1% of their 3's, 285th in the nation. That's almost as bad as Duke!

I'm surprised more teams don't try to zone them. It prevents dribble penetration by Waters and ensures their bigs are facing multiple defenders.

I wondered about this too. Apart from the defensive tendencies of most of their opponents, one thing that might deter teams from playing zone vs LSU is that LSU is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country, and a zone could open the defense up even more to giving up rebounds.

With that said, Maryland's frontline of Fernando and Smith did a great job of keeping LSU off the boards. If the Terps had just shot a little better from the FT line, they could have won today.

sagegrouse
03-23-2019, 03:23 PM
Oh, so-o-o-o-o happy to hear this is LSU's first trip to the Sweet Sixteen since 2006. I will never forget.

Dukehk
03-23-2019, 04:07 PM
LSU should be a cakewalk matchup for us. They shoot 3s almost as badly as we do but we have the better players across the board and of course we actually have a coach.

Not so sure about that.

Guarding the 3 hasn't been a weakness for us.

What worries me is that they have ALOT of size that could cause some of our bigs to get in foul trouble. That type of size can also pack the lane and force us to shoot the ball from outside more. Also, waters is the type of pg that has traditionally given us fits over the years.

Either way, it seems we are playing either msu or lsu.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't one of those teams, should we reach the elite 8.

Kedsy
03-23-2019, 04:15 PM
Either way, it seems we are playing either msu or lsu.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't one of those teams, should we reach the elite 8.

Since the only other possibility is Minnesota, which is playing Mich St after losing to them by 24 in the regular season, doesn’t seem like you’re going out on much of a limb here.

Dukehk
03-23-2019, 04:37 PM
Since the only other possibility is Minnesota, which is playing Mich St after losing to them by 24 in the regular season, doesn’t seem like you’re going out on much of a limb here.

I certainly am! :D

All im saying is that our road out of the east bracket is not going to be easy from here on out.

UCF have a 7-6 guy who is playing the best ball of his career.

If we manage to get past them then its likely to be virginia tech with their best player back. If we manage to win, then its either msu or lsu who are both experienced teams with alot of big men to counter ours.

Its a bloodbath really. Certainly not the "cakewalk" we had in 2015.

robed deity
03-23-2019, 04:40 PM
I certainly am! :D

All im saying is that our road out of the east bracket is not going to be easy from here on out.

UCF have a 7-6 guy who is playing the best ball of his career.

If we manage to get past them then its likely to be virginia tech with their best player back. If we manage to win, then its either msu or lsu who are both experienced teams with alot of big men to counter ours.

Its a bloodbath really. Certainly not the "cakewalk" we had in 2015.

Gonzaga was no joke that year, and Utah was a very dangerous 4.

Dukehk
03-23-2019, 04:48 PM

Zags were pretty overrated (can only remember karnowski and he was eaten alive by Jah) and utah had nobody I can even remember!

What I actually meant was the 2010 team! Got my years mixed up.

We had a broken down purdue squad and a half decent baylor team, but they didn't really pose a threat.

Then wvu (instead of ky) in the final four. Butler in the final were very underrated though. It was a relatively easy path for us in hindsight.

Aladuke
03-23-2019, 05:01 PM
I don’t know. LSU is extremely athletic and they have no conscious. No coach but they are no used to it. Rather play MSU.

Aladuke
03-23-2019, 05:03 PM
Now used to it. Not sure they need one at this point.

ns7
03-23-2019, 05:04 PM

We had to beat #7, #9, #12, and #3 in 2015. In comparison, Villanova beat #8, #14, #6, #7 last year.

ns7
03-23-2019, 05:07 PM
Zags were pretty overrated (can only remember karnowski and he was eaten alive by Jah) and utah had nobody I can even remember!

We had a broken down purdue squad and a half decent baylor team, but they didn't really pose a threat.

Then wvu (instead of ky) in the final four. Butler in the final were very underrated though. It was a relatively easy path for us in hindsight.

We had to beat #23, #10, #8, #7, #14 in 2010.

In comparison UNC beat #45, #11, #13, #14, #9 in 2009. But no one says UNC had it easy in 2009.

KandG
03-23-2019, 05:26 PM
We had to beat #23, #10, #8, #7, #14 in 2010.

In comparison UNC beat #45, #11, #13, #14, #9 in 2009. But no one says UNC had it easy in 2009.

I'm the last person to give UNC credit and I certainly harp on their absurd luck in title games (Fred Brown pass to Worthy, Chris Webber timeout, Kennedy Meeks being out of bounds), but that 2009 team was extremely good. I suspect people don't talk about their "easy" path that year because they looked like the best team as long as Ty Lawson could play.

devildeac
03-23-2019, 05:49 PM
I'm the last person to give UNC credit and I certainly harp on their absurd luck in title games (Fred Brown pass to Worthy, Chris Webber timeout, Kennedy Meeks being out of bounds), but that 2009 team was extremely good. I suspect people don't talk about their "easy" path that year because they looked like the best team as long as Ty Lawson could play and they didn't have to attend classes.

Point of clarification. Never forget.

:mad:

uh_no
03-23-2019, 06:02 PM

Baylor not posting a threat is revisionist. they had a huge physical team and we were alarmingly unathletic.

i seem to recall some clutch play of the bench was required to seal that one....

uh_no
03-23-2019, 06:06 PM
I'm the last person to give UNC credit and I certainly harp on their absurd luck in title games (Fred Brown pass to Worthy, Chris Webber timeout, Kennedy Meeks being out of bounds), but that 2009 team was extremely good. I suspect people don't talk about their "easy" path that year because they looked like the best team as long as Ty Lawson could play.

would have loved to see that uconn team with Jerome Dyson have a shot.... grumble grumble.

couldn't have been worse than msu...

robed deity
03-23-2019, 06:08 PM

That Utah team had Delon Wright and Jakob Poetl. Both are in the league I believe, albeit bench players. It also had a young Kyle Kuzma I think, but Im not sure he played.

Gonzaga may have been slightly overrated, but Sabonis was a handful as I remember.

OldPhiKap
03-23-2019, 06:16 PM
Baylor not posting a threat is revisionist. they had a huge physical team and we were alarmingly unathletic.

i seem to recall some clutch play of the bench was required to seal that one...

Exactly right. Also, we played Baylor in Texas. That was a brutal game.

-jk
03-23-2019, 06:19 PM

As I recall, Zoubs was strong, leading on both ends - and he put the Fear Of God into Miles as he headed to the bench after fouling out...

-jk

wsb3
03-23-2019, 06:52 PM

As I recall many of the experts picked Baylor. That game was tight.We hit back to back 3's late to give us an edge.Nolan & Jon...

dukelifer
03-23-2019, 07:17 PM
As I recall many of the experts picked Baylor. That game was tight.We hit back to back 3's late to give us an edge.Nolan & Jon...

Dawkins hit a couple in the first half. Singler was 0-fer with a bad wrist

uh_no
03-23-2019, 07:17 PM

dre also with two huge threes off the bench. that's what i remember most about that game. they forgot about dre :)