PDA

View Full Version : 2019 NCAA tournament schedule for Duke

gillmic
03-17-2019, 09:58 PM
We open on Friday at 7:10 p ET. If we are fortunate to win our opener, does anybody know what time we would play on Sunday? I am having trouble deducing the time from the bracket schedules on ESPN, CBS, and elsewhere. I can’t imagine that it would be contingent on matchups.

-jk
03-17-2019, 10:03 PM
CBS will let us know Saturday...

-jk

Hartford Dukie
03-17-2019, 10:12 PM
We open on Friday at 7:10 p ET. If we are fortunate to win our opener, does anybody know what time we would play on Sunday? I am having trouble deducing the time from the bracket schedules on ESPN, CBS, and elsewhere. I can’t imagine that it would be contingent on matchups.

Yes, times will be out late Friday night. As I wrote elsewhere, the best guess for Sunday is the last CBS slot on Sunday, which is 5:00. While there are later slots on tru, TNT and TBS on Sunday, one would assume CBS will grab Duke for their prime time slot - as they did for Friday night.

duketaylor
03-17-2019, 11:04 PM
Potential 2nd round match-up with VCU, good grief. I'll see if my bud JT will post a match-up info here if we play them. He lives VCU ball and used to be team manager for Jeff Capel.

AGDukesky
03-18-2019, 07:58 AM
I bought tickets for both days in DC and assume the times won’t be out till the preceding Sunday. Any thoughts on the likely times for the East Regional games or is it totally dependent on matchups for TV?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2019, 08:37 AM
Potential 2nd round match-up with VCU, good grief. I'll see if my bud JT will post a match-up info here if we play them. He lives VCU ball and used to be team manager for Jeff Capel.

potential third round with VT and Justin R back? Good grief also.
Maryland in DC area potentially...YUK
Michigan State? Can K keep owning Izzo against the massive forces of regression to the mean?

I do NOT like our draw.

sagegrouse
03-18-2019, 08:47 AM

Maybe not match-ups, but I expect CBS will put Duke and Zion in the most prominent position possible. Perhaps the lead-in to "60 MInutes?"

tbyers11
03-18-2019, 08:51 AM
I bought tickets for both days in DC and assume the times won’t be out till the preceding Sunday. Any thoughts on the likely times for the East Regional games or is it totally dependent on matchups for TV?

The East Regional Sweet 16 games on Friday will be about 7:15pm and 9:50pm. The Elite 8 games on Sunday are almost always played at 2;20 and 5pm.

You are correct that the time slots in which time the various teams play will not be decided until the preceding Sunday for Sweet 16 and late Fri night for Elite 8.

szstark
03-18-2019, 09:04 AM
potential third round with VT and Justin R back? Good grief also.
Maryland in DC area potentially...YUK
Michigan State? Can K keep owning Izzo against the massive forces of regression to the mean?

I do NOT like our draw.

So you would rather play Florida State, Kansas State, or Kansas than Virginia Tech or Michigan, Tennessee, or Kentucky rather than Michigan State (assuming they all win their earlier games)? No matter what the rankings say, it looks to me that we got the best matchups possible for our strengths and weaknesses. Maryland in DC? Have you watched any Maryland games this year? Bring it on. These are supposedly the best 68 teams in the country. We are going to have to play good teams at some point. You never know what’s going to happen in single elimination tournaments, but I don’t see any unreasonable matchups in our path.

wavedukefan70s
03-18-2019, 09:08 AM
I will go to fridays games in columbia.
Trying to decide if I pull my kid out of school and miss football practice or just go friday night and take off and try to go to dc also.i think he may enjoy the entire experience.he never been to a NCAA tournament game.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2019, 09:15 AM
So you would rather play Florida State, Kansas State, or Kansas than Virginia Tech or Michigan, Tennessee, or Kentucky rather than Michigan State (assuming they all win their earlier games)? No matter what the rankings say, it looks to me that we got the best matchups possible for our strengths and weaknesses. Maryland in DC? Have you watched any Maryland games this year? Bring it on. These are supposedly the best 68 teams in the country. We are going to have to play good teams at some point. You never know what’s going to happen in single elimination tournaments, but I don’t see any unreasonable matchups in our path.

Dude, you're conflating 2s and 4s.

Now I wouldn't want FSU either. as a 4...but Kansas got drubbed by Iowa State this weekend...and yes, I'd rather Michigan than Michigan State as the number 2 by far. And you are also thinking who's "best" without understanding nuances about particular match ups...and this is a tournament about match ups. Virginia Tech will be very confident against us, as opposed to say Wisconsin. We have beaten Michigan State 11 of the last 12 times we played them...I hate to tempt those odds against the law of averages. I'd much rather play Michigan...who by overall seeding SHOULD HAVE BEEN our 2.

These factors are the match up baggage that I would rather not have in the NCAAT. Good or great teams are one thing...but throw in the baggage factor and this is why the tournament is such a crap shoot. For example, playing Maryland in DC? I remind you of playing South Carolina in Greenville. No thanks.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2019, 09:38 AM
Meh, you gotta beat who you draw. No use in dwelling on it. But my take:

Of the two seeds, all four are quality teams. I want no part of Kentucky (they have been playing at an exceptional level down the stretch). Michigan is probably the most balanced and concern me. Tennessee would be a track meet but Rick Barnes is still Rick Barnes. MSU is, well, an Izzo team so you know they're tough. Not thrilled about a match with MSU but am happy we avoided UK and I don't think this is a bad draw given the alternatives.

Of the three seeds, LSU has the most turmoil and therefore is most likely to implode. All four of these teams are very good, but I think our draw here is not bad.

Of the four seeds, I want no part of FSU again. K.St. and V.Tech both have question marks surrounding injuries and/or reintegrating players coming back from injury. Kansas is not a vintage Jayhawk team but I am never comfortable saying that I want that match-up. So again, four tough teams and I don't think our draw is that bad of the group.

Long/short -- there are some questions in my mind about K.St., V.Tech, and LSU. Other than that, though, I would not be shocked to see any of the 2-4 seeds come through to the Final Four. I think the committee did an excellent job this year, and note that the NIT should really be a fun tournament this year too.

sagegrouse
03-18-2019, 09:52 AM
As good a place as any to make observations on our bracket in the East:

Lots of stories in the potential Duke match-ups int he East Region. I think it is hardly accidental. Virginia Tech AND Louisville -- really?

Crosstown NCCU possible as our first game
Johnny Dawkins and UCF as our third-round match? Then there is the legend of Tacko Fall. Or, if not --
VCU - I have nightmares from the 2007 first round upset
#4 Virginia Tech as our possible regional semis -- with its star Justin Robinson returning to action -- better than its seed? Revenge for our loss in Cassell? Hmmm... Potentially a really tough game
K vs. Izzo in the regional finals? Or, if not, coach-less LSU and AD Joe Alleva
Louisville is an outside shot and would be tough to beat again (of course, won't they fold?). Don't mention the Terps -- oops!

uh_no
03-18-2019, 10:00 AM

Lots of stories in the potential Duke match-ups int he East Region. I think it is hardly accidental. Virginia Tech AND Louisville -- really?

Johnny Dawkins and UCF as our third-round match? Then there is the legend of Tacko Fall. Or, if not --
#4 Virginia Tech as our possible regional semis -- with its star Justin Robinson returning to action -- better than its seed? Revenge for our loss in Cassell? Hmmm... Potentially a really tough game
Louisville is an outside shot and would be tough to beat again (of course, won't they fold?). Don't mention the Terps -- oops!

duke has a story with like 50% of the teams in the tournament, and almost all of the top teams....so it seems hardly out of line. Further, with 7 teams from the ACC, some were bound to be in duke's brakcet....

It's great we can come up with storylines and I enjoy them, but pretending that it's anything more than coincidental is tin-foil-hat territory.

devildeac
03-18-2019, 10:16 AM
duke has a story with like 50% of the teams in the tournament, and almost all of the top teams...so it seems hardly out of line. Further, with 7 teams from the ACC, some were bound to be in duke's brakcet...

It's great we can come up with storylines and I enjoy them, but pretending that it's anything more than coincidental is tin-foil-hat territory.

I prefer to think of them as tin foil halos.

(You *might* not be old enough to know that reference, but, if you do, "hats" off to you. Plus, the "Devil made me/us do it." ;))

Acymetric
03-18-2019, 10:36 AM

Don't you mean "second-round match" for UCF? The stopped calling the "first-four" the first round, so we're back to the round of 32 being the second round. VT is our possible third-round match.

AGDukesky
03-18-2019, 10:39 AM
The East Regional Sweet 16 games on Friday will be about 7:15pm and 9:50pm. The Elite 8 games on Sunday are almost always played at 2;20 and 5pm.

You are correct that the time slots in which time the various teams play will not be decided until the preceding Sunday for Sweet 16 and late Fri night for Elite 8.

Great, thank you!

sagegrouse
03-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Duke is the biggest favorite in Vegas since Kentucky in 2015 (and we know what happened then):

Courtesy of Caesars Palace in Las Vegas; as of Monday:

Team Odds
Duke 2-1
Virginia 6-1
North Carolina 8-1
Gonzaga 8-1
Kentucky 10-1
Tennessee 12-1
Michigan State 15-1
Michigan 25-1
Texas Tech 25-1
Houston 30-1
Purdue 30-1

robed deity
03-18-2019, 11:51 AM
2-1 for any team seems insane.

sagegrouse
03-18-2019, 11:54 AM
2-1 for any team seems insane.

Yep, and not only that, ESPN reports that of the first 1.3 million brackets submitted, 53.9 percent picked Duke; second was UNC at 11.5 percent.

robed deity
03-18-2019, 12:00 PM
Yep, and not only that, ESPN reports that of the first 1.3 million brackets submitted, 53.9 percent picked Duke; second was UNC at 11.5 percent.

Wow. Not sure I like all of this!

Indoor66
03-18-2019, 12:04 PM
Wow. Not sure I like all of this!

Why? It has no effect on anything.

BandAlum83
03-18-2019, 12:05 PM

Now I wouldn't want FSU either. as a 4...but Kansas got drubbed by Iowa State this weekend...and yes, I'd rather Michigan than Michigan State as the number 2 by far. And you are also thinking who's "best" without understanding nuances about particular match ups...and this is a tournament about match ups. Virginia Tech will be very confident against us, as opposed to say Wisconsin. We have beaten Michigan State 11 of the last 12 times we played them...I hate to tempt those odds against the law of averages. I'd much rather play Michigan...who by overall seeding SHOULD HAVE BEEN our 2.

These factors are the match up baggage that I would rather not have in the NCAAT. Good or great teams are one thing...but throw in the baggage factor and this is why the tournament is such a crap shoot. For example, playing Maryland in DC? I remind you of playing South Carolina in Greenville. No thanks.

Dude, you're conflating random variables with independent events.

Reddevil
03-18-2019, 12:07 PM

I love this draw. This whole tournament sets up as a payback exercise with Karma on our side. VCU, VT, MD, UNC - yeah that's right UNC! This is the team that could once again RESTORE ORDER.

Rich
03-18-2019, 12:15 PM
duke has a story with like 50% of the teams in the tournament, and almost all of the top teams...so it seems hardly out of line. Further, with 7 teams from the ACC, some were bound to be in duke's brakcet...

But none in Carolina's bracket? Just seems like the ACC should have been spread around more evenly. I think it's always to a higher seed's advantage to play someone not familiar with their system. Or, put another way, a lower seed from the same conference has the advantage of familiarity compared to teams from other conferences.

BandAlum83
03-18-2019, 12:43 PM
But none in Carolina's bracket? Just seems like the ACC should have been spread around more evenly. I think it's always to a higher seed's advantage to play someone not familiar with their system. Or, put another way, a lower seed from the same conference has the advantage of familiarity compared to teams from other conferences.

uNC potentially has Kansas in Kansas City. I think that's a lot worse as a potential match up than our #4. Odds are that neither will actually happen.

MarkD83
03-18-2019, 12:46 PM

If Duke does play VCU they better win. I am sick and tired of getting my car washed at Car Pool and seeing the mural with great events in Richmond with one of the images being VCU beating Duke in the NCAAs.

sagegrouse
03-18-2019, 12:50 PM
If Duke does play VCU they better win. I am sick and tired of getting my car washed at Car Pool and seeing the mural with great events in Richmond with one of the images being VCU beating Duke in the NCAAs.

A friend passed away a few years ago who was a Lehigh grad and board member. At his memorial service, there were two or three references to Lehigh's win over "mighty Duke." One guy said he called and said, "Congratulations, but your cheerleaders are really ugly." Tough crowd.

szstark
03-18-2019, 03:20 PM

Who is this “Dude” of whom you speak? At 72, I think I’m way beyond Dude. If you want to have a conversation, don’t be so disrespectful. Also, what conflating are you referring to? All the 4s are grouped together and all the 2s are grouped together and we would play the 4 before the 2. Lastly, I agree that the tournament is all about matchups. That’s what I said. I prefer to discuss physical matchups and playing styles to some arbitrary law of averages that has nothing to do with this year’s team or worrying about a geographical matchup based on the South Carolina game two years ago. Please take a deep breath before responding.

awhom111
03-18-2019, 10:09 PM
To get back to the original question, times will depend on matchups, not just for our game, but for the other games as well.

The last time we were relegated to cable in the second round, that day had a large number of big name programs playing on Sunday.

This year, assuming no major upsets, the clear top two pods of interest are ours and the Columbus pod. CBS will have both games from one pod and one game from another pod. I think the edge right now should be Columbia early so that CBS can have their top crew on two of the three games. That would likely mean Virginia at 12:00pm and us at 2:30pm with UNC at 5:00pm and Tennessee in the night TruTV game. The other configuration would have Tennesse then UNC then us on CBS and Virginia on TruTV.

jimsumner
03-18-2019, 10:27 PM
If you are going to be in Columbia, Duke will have a public practice Thursday at 3:25.

If you are not going to be in Columbia, Duke will still have a public practice on Thursday at 3:25. You just won't be able to see it. :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2019, 10:29 PM
If you are going to be in Columbia, Duke will have a public practice Thursday at 3:25.

If you are not going to be in Columbia, Duke will still have a public practice on Thursday at 3:25. You just won't be able to see it. :)

Reminds me of the Demetri Martin bit about being at the clothing store and the woman said "if you need anything, I'm Amy..." But what if I don't need anything? Does she have a conditional identity?

Reilly
03-18-2019, 10:39 PM
In addition to the K/Johnny Dawkins possible round of 32 meeting, that would also mean AD Kevin White v AD Danny White.

DevilFalcon
03-18-2019, 10:41 PM

You don't think there committee's #1 goal is to put out the best entertainment product they can? This is the NCAA's cash cow. There is no way they don't consider story lines or what matchups could generate the highest ratings. It's all about the money for them.

JetpackJesus
03-18-2019, 10:54 PM

If that's how things work then we should all be very concerned about Duke being a 1 seed because the 16 seeds are really, really, really due for some W's. Was UMBC just the beginning?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2019, 10:57 PM
If that's how things work then we should all be very concerned about Duke being a 1 seed because the 16 seeds are really, really, really due for some W's. Was UMBC just the beginning?

That's exactly how the law of averages works, and I think you kind of mis applied it to UMBC UVa. The law of averages dictated that at some point a 16 would beat a 1, but not often, because 1's are far superior to 16s. In the case of Duke Michigan State, Duke is normally better, but not by much, and sometimes Michigan State is better, and yet K is 11-1 against them. Your analogy does not work because the disparity between Duke and MSU is nothing like the disparity between 1s and 16s - and besides, I didn't say this was going to start a MSU run of success against Duke.

wavedukefan70s
03-18-2019, 11:08 PM

Awesome thanks .I'll drive a hour and watch that.

JetpackJesus
03-18-2019, 11:37 PM
That's exactly how the law of averages works, and I think you kind of mis applied it to UMBC UVa. The law of averages dictated that at some point a 16 would beat a 1, but not often, because 1's are far superior to 16s. In the case of Duke Michigan State, Duke is normally better, but not by much, and sometimes Michigan State is better, and yet K is 11-1 against them. Your analogy does not work because the disparity between Duke and MSU is nothing like the disparity between 1s and 16s - and besides, I didn't say this was going to start a MSU run of success against Duke.

Basketball matchups are not random events, though, especially when you're looking at the results of 12 meetings between two coaches/schools over the last 24 years.

I would expect K to have a great record against Izzo because he's a better coach and usually has superior talent when the two teams do meet. There's not going to be a reversion to a mean at the K vs. Izzo level because it's the thirteenth time they've met and K has won eleven of the last twelve meetings. If Duke plays MSU and loses it will be because Izzo outcoached K and/or MSU's team played better than Duke's team that night. It will have nothing to do with the law of averages.

Indoor66
03-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Subtile Jim, subtile. ;):cool:

By the way, what time will the Thursday practice be?